PDA

View Full Version : Cycles

Xos
08-01-07, 09:03 PM
I was wondering, are there, Bicycles in Althanas, for sale commonly in the Bazaar? I understand Althanas is rather low-tech, having read that thread over Guns, but really, a Bicycle is no better than a horse in the long run. As a human (Or whatever) powered vehicle, its likely to not go faster than 20 MPH. Especially not the older style bikes I'm thinking of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:BicyclePlymouth.jpg

To account for lack of Rubber, I could make the wheels Wooden, or Metal. Just one of those things that have been bugging me recently.

Reiko
08-01-07, 09:15 PM
if you want bicycles on Althanas than let it be so^^

Christina Bredith
08-01-07, 09:56 PM
If people are able to get their hands on .45 caliber guns or whatever the hell have you, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to dig up a bicycle somewhere. ;)

AdventWings
08-02-07, 04:03 AM
Yes, I think the Bazaar may be able to give you a wheel or two... Thus spake the Bazaar Kitty.

You should do some history homework on how the bicycles of those days work, though, since such fine specimen would most likely be made from scratch. No mountain-bikes or three-gear racers for this site, Nya~ :p

Xos
08-02-07, 12:53 PM
The one I posted was basicly a single gear. It is as basic a bike as possible without being a hobby horse, or one of those bikes with the giant front wheel. No, the one in the picture is many steps back from the ones of today. I can make one using my magic, since a bike is basicly a complex machine made of simple machines comprised of small simplistic parts. The only part I could forsee giving me trouble is the brake, a rear brake used by peddling backwards, and the wheels.

Call me J
08-02-07, 01:52 PM
Not that this is really my buisness, but wouldn't handbreaks be easier?

Karuka
08-02-07, 02:04 PM
A word from RoG -- at your level, I don't think you'd quite be able to produce everything you needed for a bike. Certainly not well enough to just mention in passing that you'd made a bike. It'd have to be quested for, and the quest would probably either have to be really believable or score pretty decently.

EDIT: What you COULD do is buy the right number of lengths of metal (probably steel) from the Bazaar, shaped to specifications, and then over the course of a quest produce the materials (nuts and bolts) to assemble one.

Or you could buy one at the bazaar. Custom made.

Letho
08-02-07, 02:08 PM
I don't think a simple cycle such as the one in the picture should be so difficult to acquire. I mean, they made a steam engine in Alerar. It's safe to assume that someone was smart enough to make a bicycle as well. Just make a reasonable quest about getting it and there shouldn't be a problem. I've seen people get horses for decent quests. I see no reason why a cycle shouldn't be rewarded upon judging the thread. If anything, a horse is faster, stronger and more dangerous as a spoil then a bike.

Tiberius
08-02-07, 03:02 PM
Now, what are the chances of aquiring a 1970 Cheverolet SS Chevelle (http://www.bcautos.com/musclecars/70ss.html)? O.o

You could do it, you'd have to skim the gasoline off the surface of streams and lakes (that's how they used to do it)...

AdventWings
08-03-07, 04:06 AM
Steam Engines in Alerar... Sure, a single-gear bike could be in the market.

It'll be quite an expensive custom item, mind you, since I don't know of any non-Aleran mechanics around here. Well, except for... *Thinks about the Gadgeteer*

...Yeah, you can probably get the bike if the construction is valid enough. But making the drive chains by hand is gonna be... really messy. :D

The smaller the parts, the harder to make. Keep that in mind, right? :p

EDIT: As for that Chevy.... Ei ei, no chance. You'd have more chances getting this lil speedster (http://www.chooseyouritem.com/classics/photos/153000/153179.1923.Ford.Model.T.Roadster.jpg)... And even then, a chance of 0% unless you're two hundred years into the future. :p

Breaker
08-03-07, 06:16 PM
Now, what are the chances of aquiring a 1970 Cheverolet SS Chevelle (http://www.bcautos.com/musclecars/70ss.html)? O.o

You could do it, you'd have to skim the gasoline off the surface of streams and lakes (that's how they used to do it)...

I had a character once who was approved with a police squad car. Then the forum crashed, and when i tried to get the profile re-approved, the fascist bastards wouldnt let me have the car!

just kidding. I'm not a hater; some of my best friends are mods!