PDA

View Full Version : RSS Feeds

Ther
08-04-07, 11:57 AM
I don't know how many of you play around with vBulletin that much, but vBulletin has the ability to deliver RSS feeds. If there's any RSS feeds you feel would work well being posted on the forum (creative writing, book news, fun news, etc.), talk about them in this thread and I'll see about adding them.

Kially Gaith
08-04-07, 12:16 PM
How about a feed of our own? Latest threads, or something. ^_^ So we can all keep upto date! Without having to always be at this website to check them. ^_^

Ther
08-04-07, 12:18 PM
That's a good idea, I'll look into that, thanks. Anyone else have any thoughts or recommendations?

Kially Gaith
08-04-07, 12:27 PM
Whilst I have your attention. Can I point out a grammatical mistake on the website? I know it's nothing big but. ^_^

"Your most active in "Thread"." I didn't know I owned an active. *Giggles.*

'You're', I believe it should be!

Thanks!

Dannehness.

AdventWings
08-04-07, 12:47 PM
Ouchers. How that slipped under our literary prowess, I really don't know. :D

On other notes, I still don't get what the RSS Feed is about. :(

*Is technologically inept when it comes to certain fields*

Kially Gaith
08-04-07, 12:53 PM
RSS is...

RSS
RSS is an XML-based format (using the Resource Description Framework (RDF) - a language for representing information about resources in the World Wide Web) that allows the syndication of lists of hyperlinks, along with other information, or metadata, that helps viewers decide whether they want to follow the link. RSS allows a person's computer to fetch and understand the information, so that all of the lists that person is interested in can be tracked and personalized for them. It is a format that's intended for use by computers on behalf of people, rather than being directly presented to them (like HTML).

Taken from http://www.bytowninternet.com/glossary.

Simplified, it's a quick way of getting news and links from other websites without having to actually go to that website, kind of like a 'try before you buy', if that makes sense?

Sorahn
08-04-07, 01:03 PM
Um... as far as there being an Althanas RSS feed of the newest posts, I don't know how many people are aware but there is such a thing and I've been subscribed to it for probably a month or so now.

I got a feed reader a while back and suddenly gained interest in RSS, that's when I noticed the RSS icon came up in firefox when I visited Althanas... so I subscribed to it in my reader and I've been checking it ever since, although I really prefer to actually visit the real website to see new posts.

Kially Gaith
08-04-07, 01:11 PM
Well, so there is. *Slaps self.*

Valanthe
08-04-07, 01:14 PM
How about a news feed containing the news of the weird. You know, the most unusual news in the world, the kind of stuff you hear about in the Enquirer or The Sun, but is actually true.