PDA

View Full Version : Showing gratitude to the staff of Althanas.

Canen Darkflight
08-13-07, 11:54 AM
Constructive suggestion time. But this one is for the members.

A point has recently come to light. Moderators and members of staff here have recently been very overworked due to the lack of man-power at the moment, and quite rightly are tired and don't really get a lot of anything back for the work they put in on juging our threads, helping us with our writing, accepting our characters. Ect.

What if, as members of this community that they support to their fullest, we could find a way of repaying them? Perhaps a tournament, run or organised by the members, in their honour? Or some sort of calander day where we can celebrate their work?

I know there isn't a lot we can do physically, but just showing our gratitude im sure would be enough for them. After all, they do this for free, whichever way you cut it. Least we could do is say thanks.

Let me know what you think.

Kially Gaith
08-13-07, 11:27 PM
Air-Inflated Blow up sheep. I say no more.

Saxon
08-15-07, 02:29 PM
Sounds like a good idea, but its going to take some work to manage a tournament like that and not half-ass it. If we as members were to do such a thing, we'd need to sit down, talk about it, and nominate a few folks to take charge. Though as ideal as a tournament sounds, I'm not sure the mods and admins necessarily have the time and the energy to take on such a thing. Architect's idea of a sort've Winter Shutdown would be a nice start, and it could even coincide with a day or possibly week dedicated to the mods, like you said. Perhaps we could have a few members pose as guest judges to see what it feels like to take on such a task and even have the mods dump a bit of their work load onto us.

Food for thought? ;)

Blind Justices
08-16-07, 09:53 PM
HAAAHAAAHAAA Suck ups.

Everyone knows we do it for the drugs. I mean.. the italic names. Yesh, the italic names, and not the lyrics to smile empty soul songs.

BlackAndBlueEyes
08-16-07, 10:10 PM
Mmhmm...

It's gotta' be the drugs.

Wraith
08-16-07, 10:11 PM
Where's that praise? My ego will not feed itself.

Chronokitty
08-16-07, 10:19 PM
well just no "thank you" threads with exceptions. those can really hurt the mods that get the exception.

Ther
08-17-07, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the kind words. But if you must know, the best 2 ways to show the staff of Althanas you appreciate them are:

1) Post more (even if in the FST)

2) Invite people to come here

That makes us happier than pretty much anything else, except maybe free booze and great Billy Joel albums.

Wraith
08-17-07, 05:42 PM
and great Billy Joel albums. That makes no one happy.

The Architect
08-18-07, 01:22 PM
I mentioned this in the Suggestion thread and I'll mention it here as well. I think what the staff needs is a break (check out the details in the Suggestion thread), and that's something they need to do for themselves. I'd like to think that I'm very polite when addressing mods and admins. I sometimes apologize for taking up their time and inbox space when I send them a PM. If we all took the time to just be polite and positive minded then I bet everyone's attitude will change around here.

When it comes to an exclusively player run event, I hate to have such a negative mindset, but I doubt it can be done. The mods are players too, and if the event is enticing enough we would instead be excluding the moderators. And it looks to me like there are very few players outside the staff with the initiative, drive, organizational skills, and dependability to pull something worthy off.

All we can really do is what Matt said, and be as kind hearted as possible.

INDK
08-21-07, 08:09 PM
great Billy Joel albums.

There is no such thing.

Also, if you want to thank me for something I did, send money.

The Barbarian
08-27-07, 12:49 PM
I think Damon summed it up. :p

And there are us former mods who could run such an event. I organize real life things every other day that would make your heads spin. The only issue is we can't access the forum tools to make our own sub forum in the tournaments section without being...a moderator, haha.

But I think seeing a moderator fight to the death (with a tasty resurrection) would be amusing. I haven't seen Santh write one piece of literature since I first joined back on Pre-Pre-Crash Althanas! I demand quality! Lead by example! XD

Atzar
08-27-07, 01:20 PM
Keep in mind, guys, that gratitude doesn't have to come in the form of a big project. If I wanted compensation for my work here, I'd demand payment. I'm not trying to shit on your idea here... I'm just telling you that we don't need that much.

Like I've been saying, a 'thank you' after a judgment is awesome. Judging is the most time-consuming thing to do for a moderator on Althanas, and it's nice to know that it's taken well.

Also, I appreciate those of you that have thanked me for taking up the reins of the recent tournaments. I know things were far from ideal, and I'm glad that you guys took the many delays with a level head. Gisela will not follow in the vein of Althanaversary.

Sighter Tnailog
08-30-07, 02:04 AM
Guys, back in the day, I organized a tournament in the Citadel in which contestants participated in a seed-spitting contest. I was not a mod, had no power to move or sticky anything, and it was a smashing success.

Don't sell yourselves short. You don't need us to run amazing events.

And I'd like to thank y'all. I've just finished about 10 straight hours of Althanas related labor, and this is just the boost I needed to go to bed happy.

Wraith
08-30-07, 07:41 AM
and this is just the boost I needed to go to bed happy. Well, this and me, right Madison?

Slayer of the Rot
08-30-07, 07:46 AM
Pretty much all of the staff is made up of sexual predators seeking refuge by giving back to their community.

Varia
08-30-07, 08:27 AM
Pretty much all of the staff is made up of sexual predators seeking refuge by giving back to their community.

She said she was 18!

Anyway. Simple thank yous do very well to show thanks. You don't need to do anything elaborate, just a note after a judgment like Atzar said. Or give me something cool to read. Or bake me cookies. But not the kind with needles in them, please.

Sighter Tnailog
08-30-07, 07:19 PM
Or the kind Witchblade makes.

Christoph
08-30-07, 08:27 PM
Hey now, I've eaten Witchy's cookies before and they were fine! I mean, I only hack up blood every few days.

Massacre
08-30-07, 08:59 PM
What really makes me feel good after judging a thread is a person asking, "What can I do to improve?"

That really makes me feel good about putting the effort into it.