PDA

View Full Version : The Road Goes Ever On... (Quest, Open to 2 others, Level 0-1 characters ONLY please)

Xeraph
08-14-07, 10:56 AM
Nightfall came quickly in the depths of winter in this new and unfamiliar land. The leaves on the trees had long since lost all their colour, and many of them lay scattered on the damp ground. The light covering of frost had coated them since before the dawn, and even now they crunched underneath the traveller’s footfalls. The path was ill-defined, even more so now, and as the darkness continued to close in on this lone figure in the desolate landscape it slowly swallowed up anything he might have recognised.

Only when the darkness was absolute did he stop to rest, leaning casually against a tree, the rough bark pressing against the bruises hidden beneath his clothing. He sighed gently, his eyes adjusting to the night, seeing almost as if it were day. He slowly became away of the sounds of the forest in which he now found himself, the sounds that one did not hear whilst traipsing through the clearings and undergrowth. Yet one sound did not belong, the gentle but steady purring that emanated from around his ankles. A tail brushed against him, and he looked down. A tortoiseshell cat was wandering back and forth in front of him, her bright green eyes looking up at him as she did so. A once warm mouse was clutched between her razor sharp teeth, and he couldn’t help but smile. Bending at the knees, he stroked one hand down the length of her spine, running it the very tip of the tail, “Well, at least one of us seems to be getting a decent meal.”

She continued to purr, and when he sat down, she took this as a sign they were staying there for sometime, lying down to tear the flesh from the mouse’s bones. It was the natural way, cats were meant to live like this. And the traveller had his own dinner in a bundle on his back, packed tightly into his sleeping roll which was carried over one shoulder, slung around the other hip. This he removed, laying it out in front of him and unfurling the tightly packed material. Inside were a dead chicken, neck quite obviously broken whilst stolen from an unattended coop earlier that day, along with tinder to start a fire, in combination with a few larger sticks to maintain it. He frowned, picking one up, ]Hmm… going to need some larger ones than this to cook on.

Glancing around, he spied some larger logs nearby, which looked to be in reasonable shape. They would do for cooking on, but for now he had other things to worry about. Setting the tinder up expertly, he lit it with a match draw from his pocket, the tiny flames struggling to survive in the biting wind. He moved slightly, shielding the flames with his own body, and proceeded to add small sticks and other such things that lay littered around him until he was satisfied the fire could survive. Only then did he reach for the chicken, beginning to pluck the feathers away and gut the bird with his knife. Nothing was wasted – even chicken feathers could be sold on in some market, to stuff bedding or whatever it was that people who stayed in one place did. Xeraph Tollan was never in any location any longer than he could help it – trouble had an uncanny knack of following him around in towns, and especially in bars.

Eventually, with the help of the nearby logs, he had a fire burning merrily away that was already warming his thoroughly chilled bones. Despite the fact he wore a minimum of three layers of clothing, he felt the wind lowering his body temperature, and was grateful for the fire. With the chicken skewered on sturdy twigs, suspended above the fire to roast, Xeraph allowed himself one luxury. Reaching into a pocket, he withdrew a finely carved pipe, and some shag tobacco. Placing the tobacco into the end of the pipe, he patted himself down, searching for another match.

“Dammit… must’ve used my last one up!”

He frowned, and then took a small stick between the thumb and forefinger of his right hand. His hands had gloves of dark green wool covering them, but they were worn through in some places, primarily at the fingertips. He could see how the cold, and now the warmth, had affected his hands, and frowned slightly, resolving to try and ‘acquire’ some gloves in the next town he reached. He had no idea what the name of the town was, and nor did he care. He just knew that the old man in the last town had pointed him in this direction, saying it was about three days walk. So far, it had taken him five.

He took the stick, lighting the tip and dipping it into the tobacco. Once it ignited, he took a single deep puff, exhaling smoothly as the scent of the cherry hit him. He tossed the stick into the flames, hearing the sap contained within crackle and pop in the heat, and mused as to why it was that he was alone, in an unfamiliar and hostile land…

It was two weeks earlier, and Xeraph was sat in the corner of the bar, puffing away on his pipe as he did so, his eyes fixed on the gentleman stood at the bar. He looked out of place in an establishment like this, his clothes were of such good quality, clearly tailored and the rapier at his hip spoke only of wealth and affluence. The plate armour on his chest did little to refute these claims, polished to a mirror sheen. Xeraph could practically see the stubble on his own chin, from the other side of the room, through the tobacco smoke and the haze from the open fire. He was deliberately sat in the darkest corner of the room, able to observe all without being noticed himself. Tabitha, his cat, was curled on his lap, and he stroked her soft fur with the fingertips of his free hand. The aristocratic moron, for that was what Xeraph knew them to be called in his line of work, seemed to be making enquiries, looking for someone to help him. The barman gestured towards Xeraph, and he began to silently pray… still, he reasoned, if there was a job that needed doing, and this man would pay well for any services rendered. At least, that was what he hoped.

The man did indeed make his way over towards the darkened corner where Xeraph sat, still stroking the cat belong the level of the table. However, as the gentleman got closer, Tabitha woke up, stretched, and jumped onto the table to stare at the newcomer, leaving him free to wrap one hand around the hilt of his long sword. He could never know until the man started talking what he wanted, and it was better to be safe than sorry.

Still… that armour looks pretty solid. However… weak at the shoulder. That’s what I’ll go for.

“I’m told that if one requires something doing, you are the gentleman to whom one should speak?”

The voice was cultured, deep, and reeked of natural arrogance and snobbery that came with wealth from birth. Xeraph had to fight the urge to stab the pipsqueak where he stood, so appalled was he at the way this man had managed to survive. He took another puff on his pipe, and then nodded curtly, “Aye, you need something doing, I’m your man.”

As he spoke, his foot pushed a chair out from under the table, an unmistakable gesture that spoke volumes. The newcomer looked down at it, and after a moment’s hesitation, sat down, leaning across the table, “I have a proposition I believe might interest you.”

“And what, eh, proposition, might this be?” Xeraph enquired lazily.

“We… that is to say, I, require your services in the retrieval of a family heirloom.”

Alarm bells were ringing inside Xeraph’s head already; why had the man in front of him changed from ‘we’ to ‘I’? Not only that, but now he was close, Xeraph could see the sweat on his face. He doubted they had anything to do with the warmth of the bar… no, that was fear sweat. However, he felt he should continue the conversation, just to see where it was going, “An heirloom, you say? What family is it?”

“My name is Gerald de Mimson, I assume you’ve heard of me?”

Xeraph hadn’t, but he nodded silently, lying to see where this was going.

“Well, mercenary, this heirloom is of great importance to my family, and was stolen from us recently. I did not realise it had gone missing until recently, and have only just learned who stole it. Why they want it, I am not certain, but it is, as I have already said, of great importance to my family.”

Xeraph leaned back, “I assume you want me to go get it?”

“Well, certainly. You would be well paid for this. My family is very wealthy.”

Only the insecure feel they have to state that, my friend.

“Where is the person who stole it from you?”

“I do not know who stole it, but I know were it is now. It is in the house of a man with whom my family has a long running feud. He lives in Scara Brea, his name is Anton Broughton, another wealthy landowner. He and my father have a long history, stemming from an incident over some cattle when they were both much younger. This is not his first attempt to steal from us, but it is by far the most insulting.”

Xeraph considered this information for a moment… Scara Brea… that was a minimum of three weeks travel on foot, faster if he could get some other kind of transport along the way, “What exactly does this heirloom look like?”

“You will undertake this?”

“I want to know what I’m looking for, Mr. de Mimson.”

Mr. de Mimson sighed, closing his eyes for a moment as if considering his position, and then opened them again, his deep brown eyes meeting the bright blue of the mercenary, “I have a drawing of the amulet, will that suffice?”

Amulet?
“Certainly it will. Please, hand it over.”

Digging into his pocket, Gerald dug the picture out and unfolded it, laying on the roughly-hewn oak table for Xeraph to see. In the drawing, the amulet was slung around the neck of a woman who was quite plainly beautiful. However, he was drawn more the amulet than to her face, which was beautiful but yet sad at the same time.

It hung from her neck on a heavy gold chain, a large purple amethyst set in the centre. The actual amulet looked to be solid gold, and there was a level of carving and detail so intricate that Xeraph had to look for a long time in order to fully comprehend it. Celtic knots, swirls, and weaves were all employed, but there something else… runes, carved into the very edge, and difficult to see, let alone read. In any case, Xeraph was unable to read runes, “Very nice… worth a pretty penny, no doubt.”

“That is why I am willing to pay you a large amount of money to get it back for me!” said Gerald, a note of panic edging into his voice, “I must have it back!”

Xeraph was astonished that a man who was brought up to remain composed in any situation could crack like this over something that, quite honestly, looked like little more than a trinket. An expensive trinket, to be sure, but nothing more than that, “You seem to be desperate, and for that reason I’ll do it.” That, and the large payoff at the end.

“Thank you! Thank you!” cried Gerald, seizing his hand and pumping it for a moment, before realising he had drawn unwanted attention to himself. He took a moment to compose himself, and then flipped the picture, “This is my address. When you have completed this task, mercenary, come to this address. You will paid when you arrive, not before.”

Xeraph shrugged, “It makes no difference to me, so long as I get paid in the end. I’m warning you, aristocrat, I expect payment. No double-crosses.”

A laugh, “I would never dream of such a thing, mercenary. After all, I have honour on my side.”

With that snide remark, Gerald de Mimson left the bar, stepping delicately around a pool of vomit that materialised in between his sitting down and his leaving. Xeraph leaned back, puffing away, continuing to gaze at the picture, at the quest he had just taken on…

The last embers of the dying fire flickered in the now still air, a prone Xeraph Tollan lay on the cold, hard ground, and the blanket pulled over him to prevent the chill from freezing him to death as the night drew on, the dawn coming ever closer away towards the east. When the sun rose, he would continue on his journey, but for now, he would rest his weary bones.

Agnirei
09-09-07, 01:03 PM
Affra was very cold. It was the dead of winter and yet she was here in the forest freezing to death. Oh, I wish I was home in the swamps, where it never gets cold she thought. Affra walked along a freshly made path, muttering to herself absentmindedly when she tripped over a large foot. She lay there for a moment, almost not wanting to get up, then with a sigh she slowly pushed herself up and looked around to what she had tripped over. It was a man with his eyes closed slumped on the ground. Oh, my god, is he dead? she thought. Instictively her hand streched over the man's neck to check his pulse.

Xeraph
10-06-07, 03:50 PM
The man, sprawled on the ground as he was, did not seem to have felt the impact of the woman as she tripped over his outstretched legs, nor the tremors reverberating through the ground. However, the hand touching his neck proved too much.

As her fingers brushed against the pulsing blood vessel, searching the characteristic feel of a heartbeat, the steady, rhythmical thump that heralded life, he awoke with a start. Sense in overdrive, his eyes flashed open, the coldness and brutality chilling the air around him even further, was that physically possible? Acting on instinct, he pushed the hand that had closed on his throat away, using his legs to propel himself away from his assailant and trying to stagger to his feet. With the other, he gripped the hilt of his longsword, the blade gliding out of the scabbard with an ominous shick

He pointed the tip of the sword at the newcomer, and hissed through his teeth at her, “Who. Are. You?”

Seth_Rahl
10-07-07, 10:31 AM
Winter was an welcome change to the half breed. He had seen too much of the sun lately, and frankly even the bitter cold could'nt help but better his mood. And when he was in a good mood, Ifrit Obsidian usually went out to hunt.

After all, why go hunting if you cannot enjoy the kill?

However, this new weather did not seem to affect the animals so, and the devil was hard-pressed in finding game. He had already spent two hours out in this bitter cold, and even though his demon blood kept him warm Ifrit knew that if he foolishly did not find shelter soon he would be in trouble.

The demon trudged along in the snow, head kept down to minimize the wind resistance against him. He used his giant blade as a subsitute for a walking stick, digging the point into ground every so often to propel him self forward.

Suddenly he heard a noise to the side of him, and turned swiftly around him to see a dark-skinned woman trip over a dark object that sat next to a burning fire. Ifrit blinked. How had he not seen or sensed them before?

Suddenly, as swift as the snow that came down in waves, the dark object sprang up and the demon could see it was no object but a man, taller than Ifrit himself and most likely heavier. In the same instant as he leapt, the man pulled out a good-sized long sword with a clear note in air, like the end of a ringing bell. Over the storm Ifrit could hear the man hiss at the strange woman with his enhanced hearing; "Who. Are. You?" A simple question and one easily answered, but there was a property in it that Ifrit didn't like. Violence, and even more so, arrogance.

Ifrit could smell trouble brewing.

Without a second thought he crossed the expanse between them in a matter of seconds, using his full demonic strength to propel his legs so that he moved like an arrow, straight and true. He landed heavily beside the man with an audible THUMP, and both snow and wood blew backwards from the impact, accidentally blowing out the burning flame. Before the man could say anything Ifrit placed one gloved hand on the base of the blade and shoved it down, so that the point was lodged inside the ground. ((OOC: I apologize if this is bunnying.))

He looked the taller man in the eye with his blood-red ones and said calmly; "Relax, sir. I'm willing to assume she means you no harm, and neither do I."

Xeraph
10-07-07, 05:17 PM
Xeraph felt, rather than saw, the figure bounding out of the snowstorm that raged around him and the supposed assailant quailing at his feet. The cloak that he had fastened around his neck flapped in the howling wind, but even then he could hear the soft voice above it all, “… she means you no harm, and neither do I.”

The hand that forced his blade into the ground was firm, forceful, and yet attached to a willowy female skeleton that belied the strength beneath the amour. Even stranger was the male voice, but nothing scared Xeraph more than those blood-red eyes, staring out at him from the beautiful face. He shook himself once, struggling to find his voice amongst the commotion that had engulfed his small, cold and yet oddly comfortable world, before he answered the newcomer, “Then perhaps you will answer my question regardless; who are you?”

As he spoke, his hands let go of the hilt of the sword firmly buried in the solid ground and six inches of snow at his feet, drawing the cloak tighter around his lithe form and bringing the hood over his head, leaving his face exposed somewhat but protecting his crown from the bitter chill. The face was heavily lined, the eyes bright and piercing, a hint of sadness touched upon only for a moment before it was spirited away and locked from the view of the newcomers who had disturbed what had been a reasonable break in his long travel. He stared for a long moment, trying to ascertain the nature of the being standing before him, searching every line of their face for any hint of their nature. The failure to do so bit at him, and he turned his back on the newcomer, moving over towards the glowing embers.

He crouched down next to them, sheltering them with his hands, and blowing gently into the ashes. A dull glow emanated from between his fingertips, and he blew softly again. The light was dimmer this time, as if the fire was slowly dying on him. His brow furrowed, and all surroundings forgotten, he blew again, harder. This time, nothing.

"Ah FUCK IT!" he cursed, spitting with anger onto the ground as he stood up, wheeling on the ball of his foot to face the stranger,"That fire was all that was keeping me alive in this god-forsaken hellhole. So, you've snuffed out my life line, removed my weapon and yet still you haven't answered my question."

He paused for a moment, as if musing over something, then continued,"So, I ask again, slightly louder, who are you?"

Seth_Rahl
10-07-07, 06:56 PM
Ifrit stared into the man's eyes. He recognized another killer when he saw one, and what he saw in this man's eyes made him think that cold-blooded didn't even begin to describe this one. The man let go of his sword, which made Ifrit feel a little more comfortable, but he was still wary as he pulled the man's sword out of the ground by the blade. The blade felt like staw compared to Eternium Beowulf, and he almost threw it out of its light weight. Ifrit spun the blade around so that the hilt was facing the man, but his eyes never left the other man's as he advanced slowly. "My name is Ifrit." He spoke calmly, belying the nervous tension that he held within him. "And I don't know who she is." He added, with the slightest of nods to the fallen woman.

The wind howled, and the snow began to fall heavier. Damn...Ifrit thought to himself. I need to get to shelter, and fast. But he couldn't just leave the man and the fallen woman. So instead he dropped the blade at the mans feet and strode over to the burnt pile of wood where the former fire once burned.

"Sorry about your fire." He spoke without emotion. "I'll make another that will stand up to these fierce conditions." And with that he pointed one gloved finger at the pile and spoke a single word. "Burst." A small fireball of purple and red fire with black shadows sorrounding it like a cloak immediately appeared, and it launched itself at the pile, erupting the dead wood into the same strange purple flame.

Xeraph
10-21-07, 03:26 PM
The sudden eruption of a fire from nowhere was not something that Xeraph was accustomed to. Indeed, it made his eyes widen not with surprise, but a mixture of apprehension, fear and wonder. Magic was not something he liked… anything beyond the physical world, drawing on the energies not fully understood by men struck him as simply foolish. As the ball lit the logs once more, Tabitha hissed in the sudden gleam, her eyes bright pinpricks in the darkness. He stroked her fur along her back, running his hand down to the very tip of her outstretched tail, a calming gesture that was understood. She stood up, and with the deftness gifted to cat-kind, clambered along his arm to rest on his shoulder, purring gently.

It took him a moment to realize that the stranger was holding his sword out to him, the hilt facing his hand. Reaching slowly forward, the palm of his right hand closed on the carved handle, bound with compressed leather to give a more secure grip. Fingers wrapped tightly around it, he took the blade away from the stranger offering it to him, the same one who had simply spoken a word and caused fire to spring as if from Gaia herself, sheathing it and pulling his cloak over the hilt. One hand rested on it… you never knew, especially not with some of the people out here in the wild. Not too long before, he’d had a run in with certain disreputable elements of the local population… it had not ended well for them.

“Ifrit? Strange name….”

He paused, considering whether to give out his own name, and saw no real reason why he shouldn’t, “Well, Ifrit, I am Xeraph. What brings you out this far into the wilderness, especially on such a foul evening? And I address the same question to you, unnamed lady.”

Agnirei
10-23-07, 08:43 AM
"My name is Afra, and I was looking for a lost donkey," she said, blushing. The two men were intimidating, she could tell that the man with the black hair or Ifrit as he was called was different, special, terrifying. She wanted to leave, but her braids were caked with snow and ice even with raging fire in front of her. "We need shelter." she said, stating the obvious. The wind was ripping into her face, rubbing it a bright red. She couldn't help thinking about her poor donkey, in the cold, freezing to death, he might even be dead by now. She shivered but not with the cold, without her donkey she could never get back home. A lone tear slipped done her face. She huddled close to the violet fire and waited to see what the two strange men would do.

Seth_Rahl
10-23-07, 08:53 AM
"Indeed, Ms. Afra." Ifrit spoke up. "We need shelter. Its far too late now to try and head back to Scara Brae."

Ifrit turned back to the man who called himself Xeraph. "Strange name yourself. I haven't heard that one before, in any case." Ifrit retorted, his face still expressionless but his eyes always wary for any suspicious movements. "And my business out here was I was simply hunting, but it seems this fearsome weather has driven all game away." He muttered. "Not that it should matter to you. But as long as we are on that subject..." The demon stood as he looked upon Xeraph. "Might I ask, what are you doing out here? You seem to have no purpose other than sitting around the fire, whereupon you could be sitting cozily inside a tavern in Scara." As he spoke he began looking around the slippery mountain side for any means of shelter. "Not that I am one to question motives, but you are obviously now out here of your own free choice, are you not?"

Just then a roar echoed through out the mountain side, and Ifrit looked up in surprise. He could see nothing through the snow storm, but his senses screamed for him to run. "We've got company." He said calmly, drawing his giant blade in one hand while he placed his gauntlet into the demonic flame. The fire then seemed to encase the gauntlet in a wreath of flame until all of it was sucked out from the dead wood. He let the fire return to his body, a trick he had learned a few days ago, so that he wouldn't waste any of the precious ablility.

Agnirei
10-23-07, 09:32 AM
At the sound of the roar Afra lept up from the fire, and with a swish she brought out her gleaming scimitar. "What manner of beast made that noise?" she thought while trying not to stare at the black haired man sucking the fire up back into him. "He must be some kind of demon" she thought franticly, "and a fire one at that." "Fire is an enemy of my people." she thought. "Can I trust him?", she did not have time to answer the question, a beast had just crashed throught the surrounding brush.

Xeraph
11-21-07, 10:52 AM
Xeraph simply shrugged, “It’s an unusual name, I will give you that. As for hunting, you’d be lucky to find any real game out here… I’ve been moving across this wasteland for several days now, and I’ve yet to see more than the occasional rabbit. Of course, it could be I’m not looking hard enough.”

He blew on his hands, warming them slightly, before he continued answering the question, “When a man runs out of money, he has to find a way to make more. I’m here for monetary gain, nothing more. It’s a shallow reason, but one that I have travelled many leagues for… a quest, I suppose one could all it.”

As the sound of the roar echoed over the howling wind, his hand flew back to his belt loops, wrapping his fingers around the worn hilt of the blade, “From the sounds of it, I’d rather not find out what that is… I think we should leave the further introductions until later. And by the way… nice trick.”

Taskmienster
06-13-09, 02:22 PM
This thread has been sitting for a full year. Since no response has been made to create activity I am going to be moving this. If you would like it to be reopened please feel free to PM myself or another admin and they will be able to move it for you back to Scara Brae.