PDA

View Full Version : Front Page Problems?

Renjiro
08-18-07, 01:47 PM
I have been having problems with the main page all week. I have selected the "remember me" option for logging in, so I never have to log in, but around Tuesday or Wednesday this week it had logged me out even though I could see that the button was still selected and the password was entered. I didn't think to much about it and just hit the log in button, and it took me to the "you are now logging in" page. But when it redirected me to the main page again I was still not logged in. It has been doing that ever since, and I am still unable to go to the front page. I only just now though to go to the forums page instead of the home page first, and I am for some reason logged in to the forums automatically. Is anyone else having this problem?

Karuka
08-18-07, 01:52 PM
Yeah, it's just how it is. You're really logged in, just click "enter the forums," and it won't bother with you anymore.

Renjiro
08-18-07, 02:12 PM
There isn't a forum link on the home page when you're not logged in though, or at least, I didn't see one.

Karuka
08-18-07, 02:14 PM
Yeah, there is. Top right, in a little box. "View forums."

AdventWings
08-18-07, 02:54 PM
Are you trying to access this site from a console that was not your usual? Some computers have the cookies disabled, but the symptoms you described looked to be more along the lines of a redundant cached page being displayed instead of the updated one.

Either that, or have a word with our very helpful Serilliant. :D

Chance
08-18-07, 04:59 PM
In your address bar, do you have "http://althanas.com" or "http://www.althanas.com"?

If you don't have the www part entered, it won't read from your cookies. I've noticed that around the site. More than a few links omit the www, like under rules, so when you load that page, it acts as if you aren't logged in. I never said anything about it because it takes more energy to do so than to simply type in 'www.' into the address bar and reload. Try it, and see if it fixes the problem. If not, I must have misunderstood your explanation.

Renjiro
08-18-07, 07:44 PM
It is not a problem with cookies. I cannot log in to the front page. I am sure I have entered the password correctly, and it still won't let me see it.

The Valkyrie
08-18-07, 08:54 PM
I have the same problem, and I tried what Chance said about typing in WWW instead of just althanas.com, and it worked. Odd issue, but that's got to be the answer to your problem since I was having the exact same occurence and that resolved it.

Renjiro
08-18-07, 09:02 PM
Dang it! It worked. I don't understand how that is a cookie issue though.

Serilliant
08-18-07, 11:32 PM
When you log in to the site, the forum stores a cookie on your system so that as you go from page to page, it will know who you are. If you log in sans www. prefix, your system won't read the cookie and the site won't know who you are. Keep in mind that it's still a page change to go from logging in to logged in, so without the www., you won't be able to log in properly.

This issue only affects the front page, not the forum itself. It has to do with the way out front page software is coded. I'll look into it and see if I can tweak it to work regardless.

Renjiro
08-19-07, 12:09 AM
I still don't get it, but thanks for the help.

Serilliant
08-23-07, 06:57 AM
The issue has been fixed. You will now stay logged in on the front page and on the forums even if you use althanas.com without the www. prefix.

Thanks again for your report.

Moonlit Raven
08-23-07, 09:06 PM
I've been encountering a problem when entering a reply to threads. A message telling me that my post contains blocked words appears. My replies contained no curse words of naughty content. The reply still went through, puzzling and annoying but harmless.

The other problem I encountered was when editing a thread. I was told to reduce my submission to one character before it could be entered. I think I spent five minutes yelling at the computer before it occurred to me to save the post, log out and try again. It worked for a time. I encountered it again about an hour later.

Letho
08-23-07, 09:16 PM
I encountered the first problem Moonlit mentions as well. There was a notice that the post contains blocked words, but the post still went through.

Serilliant
08-23-07, 10:41 PM
Do you remember more specifically how the error message was worded? If you can give me the exact text, I can search for the error message in our back end and see what snippet it's connected to.

Moonlit Raven
08-23-07, 11:56 PM
Your post contains a blocked keyword and will be placed into the moderation queue. Your post will likely appear within a few hours. You are now being returned to the forum.

There you go, got it when I was entering a reply to Streak101's bazaar thread.

Komosatuo
08-24-07, 02:38 AM
I just got the same thing. =/

What's the deal? Are there now a generic set of blocked words or something? O.o

And what's the deal with all the new loading screens...I hate loading screens. =(

Karuka
08-24-07, 02:40 AM
I can't switch accounts, even when I log out and try to log into another one.

This is some weird stuff happening.

Chance
08-24-07, 02:56 AM
Try to manually delete all cookies from your computer via "Tools > Clear Private Data" (If you are using Firefox. I forget what the command path is for IE) Then sign into the account you want to use... I was having the same problem for a little while, but this seemed to fix it.

Anila
08-24-07, 03:10 AM
Yeah, that worked. Thanks, Chance.

Slayer of the Rot
08-24-07, 03:28 AM
And what's the deal with all the new loading screens...I hate loading screens. =(

I don't know, I personally like them. They somehow remind me of the good old days. No one worried about a judge's choice and you had to walk fifteen miles in the snow to get your steel katana or otherwise overly used weapon/item. Where Clan Wars were just everybody beating everyone else bloody without a worry about a system.

Anyways.

I just thought the loading screens were Opera's fault. I just installed it, since my Firefox is being a cunt, but now that I know it's just a normal implemented thing, fantastic.

Now, I'm gonna go huff paint. Excuse me.

AdventWings
08-24-07, 06:00 AM
Hmm... That's funny, because asides from the Loading Screen (Oh, the nostalgia) there is nothing wrong on my end. :(

Serilliant
08-24-07, 08:59 AM
I'm not even going to go into the explanation of what was going wrong with the "blocked keyword" error message, because it was a disaster. But that's all fixed now.

Redirect pages have been disabled again as well. Not sure why they were re-enabled.

And finally, if you find that you're having any cookie problems (issues staying logged in, cannot quickswitch your user account, etc.), try logging out, flushing your cookies, and then logging back in.

Whew, and that takes care of all of that.