PDA

View Full Version : Drumming

streak101
08-24-07, 09:32 PM
Music is a form of art is it not? http://youtube.com/watch?v=J8ec6YUrB3o

My brother wants feedback on how he plays the drums, you don't have to be an expert, just tell him what you think by posting in the thread.

Cyrus the virus
08-25-07, 02:29 PM
Stop trying speedy stuff and work on timing, first. Hit the hi-hat with more force and put some damn muscle into it. Get someone to tune the drums, work on aim, and practice along with some songs until rhythm develops.

I'd go with some heavier sticks that have grip on them, if he's a beginner. It'll help develop some muscle where it's needed and when he downgrades to lighter ones, he'll feel a lot lighter. Good way to practice.

His sticks should bounce off a drum after he hits it, sort of, so he's not pulling it back and pushing it forward again. Does that make sense? Using his wrists is a lot more important than his arms, hence the heavier sticks (they'll be a lot easier than light ones, in this regard).

Anyway, good luck.

Karuka
08-25-07, 06:14 PM
He needs to quit rushing. Music isn't about hitting the most beats in the shortest time, it's about hitting the right beats at the right time. So tell him to take his time and make every strike very clear and articulate.

INDK
08-26-07, 11:38 AM
I thought the biggest problem here was that he could not maintain the same tempo when he was switching up what he was doing. If you go into a fill, you're supposed to maintain the same tempo (you can switch between quarter and eighth notes or even throw in tripplets but you have to do it within context of the beats).

If he insists on going into a rest, at least keep that rest in time with the rest of the music. Have him count his beats when he's switching and he'll be much better at going into fills or changing up his rythm.

Messenger
08-28-07, 03:29 AM
mini STREAK! hahaha its good all we need is a guitar, bass guitar, and I will work on vocals.