PDA

View Full Version : Wasting Minds

Raelyse
08-28-07, 08:28 AM
There were many places all over Althanas that could take the breath away at first glance. These were rare, scattered in various different places all over the world. That was why they took the breath away, because they were so different, so unique and enigmatic that one could not help but simply just be surprised at how grand it was. The only exception to this rule perhaps was the view of the Alerar landscape from Erebus. The headquarters of the Grander's Order was hidden away in a mountain range that was low enough not to challenge the peaks but high enough to get a fantastic view of the surrounding area. Unfortunately, the luster was somehow lost on Raelyse, the leader of the Order and one of the few people that got to experience such beauty so frequently. The mountain breeze and the feeling of all of Alerar beneath him was something that he had felt everyday for a long time that it had become customary, it had become normal... it was no longer fantastic.

And yet, Raelyse always pushed open the twin doors linking his bedroom and the balcony shortly after he woke up and admired the view. Sinister ideas were never meant to be associated with such beauty but every time the prince took this view, he only found himself plotting and picking and choosing which part of Alerar he would take next. His eyes had once eyed Winnfield, the closest town to Erebus which was no more than a few short miles from the base of the mountains which hid the fortress. That had been conquered with little trouble and now, his eyes now focused on the next closest town. Kranly was larger than Winnfield but still rather small. It had its own town hall and a shopping district along one end and the houses and farms along the other. Main trading routes were still rather far from this town, so they had few visitors.

Today, they would have a fair few.

"Colthor," Raelyse said, after he had gotten dressed. Summoning the finest wizard in his employ was never troublesome for the elf always seemed to be listening. It was a talent that was slightly disturbing but infinitely useful for someone with as little patience as the prince.

"Yes?" the elf responded, in that whimsical tone that he always spoke in. Those words had been spoken in his mind and it was only moments later when the twin grand doors that marked Raelyse's quarters were pushed open that Colthor's golden hair reveal itself.

"I hope that the preparation for the attack on Kranly has been going to schedule," Raelyse said, rather rhetorically. He knew that the Grander's Order were ready to strike whenever the moment was ready, particularly on a town so close to their base of operations.

"Your hope is my promise. The Silver Vega and the Partisans have already cleared the east path from Erebus to the base of the mountain from which a strike on Kranly will be easiest. As soon as you are ready, we will strike," Colthor replied confidently, almost as if he had been rehearsing this speech in his head a dozen over times.

"No, you will not strike today. The Devastators will be mobilized and I will test their field strength and effectiveness myself."

"Grander?" Colthor asked, confused. He had been readying his wizards for almost two whole weeks now ever since he had turned Raelyse's focus to the small town. "The Devastators? They have neither the finesse nor the skill required to leave anything but rubble of Kranly and surely we will use that as a outpost?"

Raelyse turned towards the view from his balcony once again. "Spiting the Silver Vega has nothing to do with my decision, Erik," it was rare for Raelyse to use the elf's first name, the one inherited from his human father. "I wish to test our newest allies, I want you to inform Banda and Asuka that they will each take a squad of Devastators each and lead the way to Kranly. I will command another squad and follow behind."

The disappointment on his face was evident, but Colthor shrugged it off and bowed slightly, more out of customs than of actual respect.

"The best wizard for miles reduced to a messenger," he muttered underneath his breath as he walked away, already seeing the ecstatic faces of the brutish Devastators when he would deliver the news to them. "Fantastic."

Raelyse, on the other hand, was excited for the battle ahead. Testing to see how competent his new lieutenants would be in battle was something he had looked forward to since they had joined but doing so while gaining the strategically useful Kranly was just...

Fantastic.