PDA

View Full Version : I feel stupid for asking this...

Damas Razeki
09-08-07, 10:09 PM
As the title states, I kinda feel stupid for asking this but I for some reason I can't find where you change your title above your avatar. Can someone tell me? This is probably a waste of space but, yeah.

The Valkyrie
09-08-07, 10:35 PM
If you go into your user CP, and click on "Edit Profile" on the left sidebar, you'll be given the option to "change user title". That's what you're looking for! Hope that helps.

Damas Razeki
09-08-07, 10:51 PM
That's what I thought, but for some reason I cannot find it. It isn't showing up. Maybe an error with my own computer? I don't know.

The Valkyrie
09-08-07, 10:53 PM
You don't see it under optional information - above where you give your AIM and MSN info? It should say:

Custom User Title
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts. Check the 'Reset' box if you wish to use the default title for your usergroup and post count.
Your current user title is
Lost in Mortality

EDIT: Apparently only mods have that privilege at this point. I checked on one of my other accounts and didn't see it either. My apologies.

Damas Razeki
09-08-07, 10:57 PM
Oh... Man, that just ruins my day. Hehe... Yeah, that must've changed and I didn't know that. I just got back after a 9 month absence!

Thank you very much.

Damas Razeki
09-08-07, 11:01 PM
If I may ask, though, why is that?

Renjiro
09-08-07, 11:15 PM
Link (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=5733) That is how you change your user title if you are a regular member.

Damas Razeki
09-08-07, 11:20 PM
Ah, thank you very much Ren! A new point system, veeeeery clever...!

The Barbarian
09-08-07, 11:54 PM
It's kind of lame in my opinion.

I liked the old way. This way seems to merit bringing in any old RPer who will check the site out and never even post 10 times before saying screw it or the guy who spams everywhere and gives us all a big headache.

A lot of people think we are too strict with rules and whatnot, since we actually care about what we create.

Bring back the free user titles IMO!

Serilliant
09-09-07, 12:25 AM
I liked the old way. This way seems to merit bringing in any old RPer who will check the site out and never even post 10 times before saying screw it or the guy who spams everywhere and gives us all a big headache.

I suppose that's incentive for recruiting quality members then, huh? ;)

I plan to incorporate other methods of earning points and rewards, but have unfortunately been bogged down with other work. If anyone has suggestions on ways you think you can give back to the site, let me know. I'm more than happy to open up more ways for you guys to earn rewards.

Godhand
09-09-07, 12:38 AM
It's kind of lame completely fucking retarded in my opinion.

I liked the old way. This way seems to merit bringing in any old RPer stupid fucking dipshit who will check the site out and never even post 10 times post the most inane shit a million fucking times before saying screw it "I love this place, I'm never fucking leaving!" or the guy who spams everywhere and gives us all a big headache posts the same link to Urban Dictionary over and over thinking he's fucking hilarious and an internet comedian.

A lot of people think we are too strict with rules and whatnot sick of Matt's shit, since we actually care about what we create he seems to have turned into a paranoid schitzophrenic that thinks holy shit treachery is afoot twenty four hours a day.

Bring back the free user titles! IMO Abbreviations are retarded!

There. I fixed it.

Rayse Valentino
09-09-07, 12:58 AM
There. I fixed it.

voted 5/5.

Get Althanas server space - 15 points: 5 megabytes of server space on the Althanas server to host whatever you'd like (restrictions apply)

this would be a pretty good deal ten years ago.

When you're Russian for a drink, there's no time for Stalin'.

this is terrible, just terrible.

Damas Razeki
09-09-07, 01:54 AM
Ahahaha! Man, this is what I missed after I left this place. The crazy people.

The Barbarian
09-09-07, 02:57 AM
Yea....ok.

As expected, Godhand lives up to his reputation.

Slayer of the Rot
09-09-07, 04:38 PM
I completely agree with Godhand's edit.

Raimeiken
09-09-07, 05:16 PM
Ehhhh~?! So that's how some people get those really nifty user titles?

I just knew that!

*Begins plotting to drag some of her friends to the site just for the heck of it*

Damas Razeki
09-09-07, 05:43 PM
Yes i'm not very psyched about this new system. I used to change my title constantly, and now I have to rack up 3 points if I ever plan on doing that again.

I've already recruited my close friends in the past with another account(I still have the password and stuff) so will I have a couple points for THAT account? Or is it only for new recruits after May 1st?

Serilliant
09-09-07, 06:48 PM
Unfortunately, we're only considering new members who have joined after May 1. Though if there are members that you have referred that have not listed you as their referrer or if you have referrals on other accounts, I am more than happy to take this into consideration. The May 1st line still applies, though.

Kially Gaith
09-09-07, 06:48 PM
Okay! So I saw you want a way of giving rewards.

I sugguest you give points as rewards for players who dedicate themselves to the forums and provide players with help and kindness arround the forums!

Another simplistic system would be to award a player a point for every 25 posts accumulated anywhere except Your Word, Tavern and the like. ^_^ It'd encourage players to post more and give players an incentive to take better part within the website.

If you want a hand with anything, I'm here!

Thanks for reading.

Rock on!

Kially. <3

Serilliant
09-09-07, 06:53 PM
I noticed that you tried to send me a PM, Kially. Sorry that was it full.

In any case, I agree with both of your suggestions. While I hesitate to reward users purely for post count (when this was done in the past, a lot of post-farmer as it were took place), I believe there is a way that this can be done.

I will also need to think about how to quantify your dedication and kindness rewards as well. However it does seem logical that if we were to reward people for recruiting, we should also reward those who help to make this a welcome place for newcomers. I'll confer with my fellow staff members and see if we can hammer something out soon.

Great ideas. Keep them coming. Remember that this system of points is not intended to keep people away from rewards, but rather encourage activity that is beneficial for everyone.

Damas Razeki
09-09-07, 06:54 PM
Or maybe a point for a good score, maybe 65+ or something. I don't know.

Slayer of the Rot
09-09-07, 06:58 PM
Okay! So I saw you want a way of giving rewards.

I sugguest you give points as rewards for players who dedicate themselves to the forums and provide players with help and kindness arround the forums!

Another simplistic system would be to award a player a point for every 25 posts accumulated anywhere except Your Word, Tavern and the like. ^_^ It'd encourage players to post more and give players an incentive to take better part within the website.

If you want a hand with anything, I'm here!

Thanks for reading.

Rock on!

Kially. <3

That's actually a pretty decent idea.

Serilliant
09-09-07, 07:25 PM
Or maybe a point for a good score, maybe 65+ or something. I don't know.

A goal for this project was to reward completely out-of-character actions like recruiting members or welcoming newcomers. In-character actions are already rewarded in the form of experience, gold, and Judge's Choice nominations.

Ataraxis
09-09-07, 07:33 PM
I don't know if these are good ideas, or even new ones, but I PMed these a long time ago, and only remembered now, so here goes, I guess!

Maybe reward people who create OOC threads that span over X number of pages? They'd promote activity in a way, and eventually the the OOC activity would turn into IC activity. Threads like the 'Horrible Make a wish Foundation' and 'The Q&A', for example. Of course, it might just make people spam more, but who knows?

I'm also guessing tournaments and competitions should warrant a point or two? Not winning it, but participating until the end without disappearing into the wilderness does help tournaments move on. If a person enters a three tournaments in a row, but loses in the first round everytime, I think that person should be rewarded for fully participating multiple times in forum-wide events like that. And maybe members who have given forum-related suggestions that have been implemented could get a brownie or something? :D

Also, if granting rewards for scores doesn't pass (it might be considered elitist, and would deter activity from the newer members who haven't gotten the hang of Althanas, maybe?)what if people were rewarded for having participated in a successfully completed quest that was written by three (different) people, or more? Even if it's not best-seller material, the quest would have promoted activity, more so than solos or battles or even two-person quests. That, or give rewards to people who make often substantial posts in IC subforums in general?

Damas Razeki
09-09-07, 07:37 PM
Oh okay, OOC actions. Yes I understand that.

Edit: I like Ataraxis' idea about having a certain number of people complete a thread together. That certainly does require activiity.

Rayse Valentino
09-09-07, 08:53 PM
Maybe reward people who create OOC threads that span over X number of pages? They'd promote activity in a way, and eventually the the OOC activity would turn into IC activity. Threads like the 'Horrible Make a wish Foundation' and 'The Q&A', for example. Of course, it might just make people spam more, but who knows?

No offense, but this is the worst idea I've ever heard.

what if people were rewarded for having participated in a successfully completed quest that was written by three (different) people, or more? Even if it's not best-seller material, the quest would have promoted activity, more so than solos or battles or even two-person quests. That, or give rewards to people who make often substantial posts in IC subforums in general?

This, on the other hand, has potential. It takes effort to organize something that 4+ people can participate in and spans multiple threads, even adding more and more players to it. Having an OOC reward for the effort put forth by the person who spent the time thinking up each and every way it makes sense for all the characters to be involved, and making sure they had every opportunity to write to their best ability (a true DM), wouldn't be so bad. Ultimately, offering points for referrals is a shallow attempt at garnering new members.

I don't suggest anything that taxes the already super-taxed moderation staff. At the current rate of threads completed vs threads judged, in half a year it'll take 2+ years to judge a thread.

Serilliant
09-09-07, 10:24 PM
No offense, but this is the worst idea I've ever heard.
I wouldn't be so blunt about it, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to support this idea either in its current stages. I think we should be setting out to encourage threads that invite in-depth thought and discussion rather than the opposite. Perhaps your idea can be modified somewhat to offering points as a result of creating a thread like this.

I also like your other idea of rewarding those users who set up and plan a very inclusive quest. Points can be awarded by the judging mod immediately after judgement. I certainly approve of this.

I don't suggest anything that taxes the already super-taxed moderation staff. At the current rate of threads completed vs threads judged, in half a year it'll take 2+ years to judge a thread.
We are certainly taxed, but keep in mind the workload of these types of projects fall squarely on me. I do not judge threads, so there will be no effect on turnaround time.

We're also currently in the process of hiring several more judges to help deal with the increase volume of requests we've received this season. I encourage anyone to apply if they are interested in helping out. We are reviewing several applications that have been submitted in the recent weeks. If you have applied more than a few months ago and have not received word, consider reapplying now that we have more vacancies.

Ataraxis
09-09-07, 10:53 PM
Haha, Dip, no offence taken! I'm just glad that at least one of the suggestions seemed interesting, though. Third time's the charm!

And here's a thing I used to do on another forum. Again, it might be an awful idea, but here goes anyway. If a member included a signature (or a banner in one) that linked to our forum in another one, and posted a link to the signature in question that proved that the deed was done (in a thread whose sole purpose was to show this), they'd get a bonus (though it was IC, as opposed to OOC). With a limit of one link, and thus one point, per member, Althanas would get more advertising than just with Die Roller. A big con, though, is that it could attract less than savory people to Althanas who'd only indulge in flaming and spamming.

Yeah, upon reflection, doesn't sound like the best idea. Still, it did work for a while. >.>

Atzar
09-09-07, 10:55 PM
Not a bad idea. The less-than-savory people give a purpose to the existence of the ban-stick.

AdventWings
09-10-07, 01:04 PM
I can't remember the last time we banned someone from Althanas.

...Well, there was that one guy, but he was asking for it. :p

Damas Razeki
09-10-07, 03:11 PM
Ahaha... I have never heard of anyone being banned from Althanas. Which is probably the reason I like it here, it's a nice environment. Other then that, I am trying to come up with some ideas as well to reward people.