PDA

View Full Version : Yeah yeah, yeah.

Breaker
09-17-07, 10:56 AM
The shop was like most others, except a little less busy.

I had wandered through Radasanth's Bazaar for upwards of twenty minutes, scanning the signs and display windows. There were many weapons shops open, and most of them were mobbed. I didn't particularly feel like waiting in line for ages, so I continued searching until I found something a little less active.

A chime jangled as I pushed open the door, signifying a new arrival. The shopkeeper was busy with a short line of customers, so I went straight to browsing down the aisles, stepping around others who were doing the same.

Since arriving in Radasanth I had accumulated a decent amount of gold, and decided to spend it on something practical. Although my hands and feet made excellent weapons, I often found myself wishing for an edged weapon when competing at the Citadel or Dajas Pagoda. So, with gold filling my pockets, I had made my way to the district known as the Bazaar.

There was an entire section at the back of the shop for daggers alone, which I zeroed in on rather quickly. There were knives of various makes and designs, which I sorted through with experienced eyes. Finally I lit upon something that suited my purposes.

Stacked across an entire level of a shelf were a sequence of identical daggers, identical except for the metal they were made from. They were fine blades; bayonet style knives, a weapon which made an exemplary tool, combat knife or if you had something to attatch it to, a bayonet. Each had a double-edged blade with a thin row of serrations near the bottom of the front. A round pommel at the base of the hilt balanced each weapon, while a small guard would allow for parrying techniques. I glanced across the tags, removed two of the daggers, and went to stand in line.

As I got nearer the counter, I examined the weapons I had selected further. According to their hand-made tags, one was titanium, the other prevaldia. Each was about a foot long, with the blade making up seven inches of the entire weapon. They felt like good, sturdy weapons that would last as long as was needed. Soon I was at the front of the line, and set both daggers on the counter.

"Very nice shop you've got here. Could you tell me how much each of these two blades would cost?"

AdventWings
09-17-07, 01:03 PM
It was a rather strange ordeal about how things came about the past few weeks. People thronged to smiths of swords like bees drawn to honey, each looking to acquire one type of blade or another. To any other merchant, it meant profit to be had. To Elijah, it seemed a bit unnerving to see such phenomena.

The merchant was snapped out of his thoughts by Joshua's request, however, and the young man knew he had a job to do.

"Oh, um, yes." He exclaimed, fumbling through a small booklet behind the table he worked at. "The Titanium knife is... One thousand and four hundred, sir. As for the Prevalida one, that's one thousand two hundred and fifty, sir."

Elijah looked up from his book and checked the conditions of both items, making sure the prices matched the knives the customer had requested.

...Wait a minute- The young man suddenly had a thought, creasing his brows in surprise. Since when do we have Titanium knives on sale...?

Breaker
09-18-07, 03:40 PM
Immediately, I opted for the cheaper of the two. Even the prevaldia dagger was a little out of my price range, but I figured with a little intelligent haggling I could walk away from the shop with a new weapon, and maybe a little gold in my pockets, too.

I shifted the titanium dagger off to one side, clearly indicating my intention to purchase the slightly heavier blue bayonet. It was a deep pleasant azure, a color which I was happy to observe probably wouldn't reflect much light. Meeting the shopkeep's gaze, I grinned in a well-practiced manner. It showed modesty and a request for assistance, all the while suggesting companionship. You know how it is. I often referred to this as my politician's smile.

"Well, I think the prevaldia is a little more to my liking, the additional weight should make it more useful." I spun the well-balanced knife around my index finger, a trick which looks difficult but really isn't. Catching the hilt in my hand, I placed it ruefully on the counter.

"Unfortunately, I'm a little short of the price. What do you say to an even one thousand? I earn a decent regular salary, and I'd be sure to remember your generosity next time I'm in the Bazaar. I could even mention the name of this shop to some of my fellow Hierarchs at the Dajas Pagoda in Scara Brae."

I had left myself two hundred gold for bartering room, but felt confident I wouldn't have to break the bank just to get the bayonet. Dajas Pagoda was a well-known name drop in many parts of Radasanth. I gave the shopkeeper my politician's smile again, hoping for a positive response.

AdventWings
09-20-07, 02:04 PM
Elijah looked over the customer from head to toe, looking for any signs that he was lying through his teeth for just a few quick discounts. Carefully putting away the Titanium bayonet knife under his counter, the seller thought on the matter for a moment before deciding on his side of the haggling war.

"One thousand flat seems a bit too low than I can offer, sir." Elijah smiled apologetically after the reply. "For an item of this craftsmanship, Do you think you can settle for a thousand and two hundred?"

He had heard of the Dajas Pagoda and knew of their businesses there. A slight discount may be what this warrior was looking for, but he would not be getting that without a fight.

...Well, not a physical one, anyway.

Breaker
09-20-07, 03:18 PM
Behind my unphazed grin, I calculated the shopkeeps fortitude. Despite whatever they might appear to be, most salesmen were fairly shrewd. Fifty gold wasn't much of a discount, certainly, but it was enough. A hundred gold one way or the other made little difference to me. I could always get more money, and had little material use for it. The knife was a fine one, and I was happy to pay the shopkeep's price.

"That sounds fair enough, and my thanks for the discount."

With carefree ease I counted out twelve thick coins, each valued at 100 GP. Pausing for a moment, I added two smaller coins in a seperate pile, each of these worth 10 GP. It was both prudent and polite to tip a merchant, especially one who was willing to barter.

"One thousand, two hundred it is then, worth every copper," I used the word easily, trying not to be too proud of myself for not saying penny. "and an additional twenty gold for you, a token of my appreciation. You may trust me when I say I'll be returning sometime soon."

As soon as I had money to spend, anyways; the shop was as good as any, and most merchants would give better discounts to returning customers.

Any chance of getting a complimentary leather sheath thrown in?

AdventWings
09-20-07, 04:05 PM
((You ask, we deliver. ;)))

One thousand and two hundred. That was a lot to spend on just an odd-looking knife. Then again, it was made of a very coveted metal - light, strong, resistent to hostile magic while being conducive to the weilder's own magical abilities. It was one of the best metal a fighter could use. An even better one for crafty wizards who concealed their channeling objects in forms other than a staff. And no joke when it came to pricing.

The twenty pieces of tip, though, was not what Elijah was expecting. Of all things, he was looking forward to seeing the man try to cut the price a bit lower, somewhere in the one-fifty region. But what could he do? The price was right and the custumer was fine with it. Plus the tip, it was only courteous to return one as well.

"Thank you for your purchase, sir." The young merchant replied after he finished counting the large coins. The man glanced momentarily to a line of leather sheaths hanging on the wall behind him and picked one out, sliding the Prevalida Knife into the fine treated leather sheath that matched the size of the blade nicely. "Here is our complementary knife sheath to go with it."

And, of course, it was only polite to ask if his customer had his eyes on other wares about the store.

"Is there anything else you want to buy, sir?"

Breaker
09-20-07, 05:06 PM
The sheath was a bonus I hadn't exactly been expecting, but it was unsurprising just the same. I accepted both the blade and its scabbard gratefully, slipping the heavy weapon into my inside jacket pocket.

"Thank you again, a very kind gesture indeed."

I chuckled when the merchant inquired towards my further interests. I didn't need anything else that day, and it was a good thing; the price of the well-made dagger had left me almost broke. Flashing my politician smile one last time, I gave the clerk a respectful nod.

"Not today my friend, but sometime soon, you can count on it. A pleasant afternoon to you."

With another quick nod I made my way to the exit, rolling my shoulders and feeling the weight of the bayonet in my jacket. It was a worthy weapon, one I knew I would soon put to good use.

I guess that's it. Thank you sir!

AdventWings
09-20-07, 05:43 PM
"Thank you for coming and have a good day."

Elijah grinned as the Pagoda warrior walked away with is new purchase, with the promise of telling his fellow warriors about how great the wares in this store was to his other competitors.

Good exposure means good business. That's what I always say.

The young merchant believed now that today was just another normal day like any day. That people were naturally more interested in fanciful blades of design. Besides, the merchant thought as another customer walked up to him with a slim rapier in hand, men and swords really do go together pretty well.

"Hello, sir. I'll get to pricing that for you right away."

((Transaction Complete.

016573 loses 1,220 GP in exchange for a Prevalida Combat Knife which could be converted into a rifle bayonet (with the correct attachment kit). 016573 also receives a matching leather sheath and 100 EXP for good IC interactions.))