PDA

View Full Version : The Defyers. ((Closed))

Alberdyne_Cormyr
09-23-07, 03:19 PM
((Continued from here (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=7071)))

((Note: Mature Content))

****Prologue****

Somewhere in Corone--

Alma Cormyr felt the rush in her mouth when the Prophet fed her his seed. She drank the milk like a greedy pup suckling at its mother's teet. Her long blond swished with every movement she made. Danger lurked in her eyes as she worked the Prophet, danger and a sort of hunger. Once she was done swallowing the seed she on the ground, exhausted. The prophet stood up from his make-shift throne looking upon the woman calmly. A satisfied smile touched his lips. "You have done well my Apprentice." Said the Prophet dressed in his typical robes. The man stood up from the artificial throne and grinned to himself. It was all going according to his design.

"You performed the ritual exactly as I asked you to. You did even better than I could have hoped. Now I have the two of them in the palm of my hands."

Nenkulor, the Mad Prophet clenched his fist. All of his hard work and planning was beginning to pay off. Corone lay in a Civil War started by carefully placed agents. Alerar lay on the brink of destruction with those damned Elves. Oh they would pay. He had the two pawns of the prophecy in the palms of his hand. The last child of the Xae'na Kaharth. The Carrier both in the palms of his hand. Nenkulor clenched his fists tightly once more. The spider web was slowly engulfing the whole of Althanas.

And soon...

The Second Darkness would arrive.

**I**

Many months passed since Dyne Corona was first placed in the hospital. Dyne would be one of the first people to speak of his miraculous victory against a group of 21 men. The hospital building was located in Underwood which had become Dyne's primary base of operations. Dyne underwent many months of healing and recovery. Currently, he was learning how to walk again with the help of physical therapy. Also, the nurses used the archaic healing arts upon Dyne Corona. The youth was strong willed and recovered quickly from his damages. Despite their best efforts, Dyne's body developed many new scars.

These scars were worn with a sense of pride. Dyne developed a cold exterior from his battle. Somehow, the act of killing changed the youth's innocent nature and added a sort of shell around the boy. During his time in the hospital, the youth reflected upon the day's events of that battle. Shu had been a tremendous help. Dyne knew that without Shu he would never have made it out of that ordeal. The Corone Rangers set Dyne up for a suicide mission and the boy knew it. Despite all that, Dyne accepted the fact that it was for the greater good. The man who originally contracted him for the job, Kastor Troy, patiently awaited Dynes' recovery. There were many more deeds that needing doing.

Dyne limped across the room, assisted by some of the nurses. The Apprentice Smith quickly build up his strength and constitution enough so that he could walk again in due order. Dyne felt pain in every step, but he was able to overcome the pain. Soon, he would be cleared from the hospital to leave. The entire time, Kastor taught Dyne the ways of the Corone Rangers. The youth knew that after today he couldn't ever work for the Syndicate again. He might be branded a traitor despite the fact that he had very little choice in the matter of joining the Corone Rangers. They had things on the Smith. Dark things. This was a very serious matter. Dyne had no choice but to play along.

Tranquil
09-25-07, 01:22 PM
Shu snapped from his semi-unconsciousness as he felt a light drop on his lap. "What the -?" Shu pondered as he saw a piece of parchment, the edges which had been singed by flame. Shu flipped the rolled up paper between his gloved fingers for a few moments and the unraveled it hurriedly.

"As I alone am not the first to tell you, you're performance along with the warrior Dyne against the Bandits was befitting to the ways of the Corone Rangers. It would be almost too sad if the Syndicate gobbled you up and we had to snuff you out like a dim candle. Consider this an offering." The print ended there and the parchment was stamped with what Shu thought to be the official mark of the Corone Rangers.

Shu slammed his hand hard down on the table and sighed. "There is no other way." Slowly rolling the parchment up and tucking it inside his robes along with his apple Shu slowly walked to the hospital door and put his ear close to the door so he could hear what was going on with Dyne.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
09-25-07, 01:52 PM
As Dyne recovered from his injuries, the physical therapy aided him very well indeed. Dyne finally found himself able to walk without the assistance of a cane. He saw that his body was developing a great deal of physical scars and knew that these disfigurements wouldn't be the last of the bunch. Dyne looked around the hospital room. Kastor Troy entered the room a few moments earlier. His friends had work of their own to attend to (Except for Shu) so they went to take care of that. Dyne lost a lot of time in his own training, but kept up some basic training as he recovered.

He stretched his arms and his shoulders every time he could using the techniques taught to him by that warrior and fellow House of Sora member, Anila Senpai. Kastor Troy observed Dyne's recovery adding his thoughts every so often. Once the day arrived that Dyne fully recovered, the youth went to bathe and put on his clothing once more. He'd been in the hospital for five months now after the faithful events of the bandit's war. Dyne learned something that bothered him greatly.

He learned from Kastor Troy that the man called Magnus was a senior member of The Syndicate. He was working a job for the Syndicate and couldn't complete it when he decided to go rogue. This was bad news for Dyne Corona. Dyne knew now that a war with The Syndicate was inevitable.

The Corone Rangers were undermanned because of the Civil War currently raging throughout Corone. Dyne accepted membership into the Rangers as a way to honor the memory of his late Father, Gallen Cormyr. Killed by the hands of his own Mother, Alma Cormyr. The youth knew that one day soon, a confrontation with his Mother was coming. He needed to be prepared to face that traitor. He had no idea how far the betrayal went. Dyne nodded to Kastor Troy as he dressed himself.

"So what of it?" Dyne said.

"All I'm saying is that you have to watch your back now. You made a mistake working for the Syndicate now you'll have to pay the price. They'll k now it was you that sold them out."

"That's the type of thing that's supposed to be prevented by you guys."

"Some of the bandits escaped Dyne. They are probably spilling their beans to the higher echelons of The Syndicate as we speak. They will send people after you."

"BY THE THAYNES, I HELPED THEM DAMN IT!" Dyne cursed but knew that Troy's words were true. Several nearby nurses looked up at Dyne's outburst but generally let the young hero to his own devices. Dyne punched a nearby wall in frustration. "You're saying that something my Father had me do is coming back to bite me in the rear now. I had no choice in the matter."

"It's possible your Father set you up." That was a sore spot. Dyne walked over to Troy and suddenly sent a hard punch right to the man's face. Kastor never bothered to try to evade the attack as it struck him. He merely stood there and took it, brass knuckles and all. The man developed a harsh welt across his zygomatic area. "I'm going to let that one slide, Cormyr."

Kastor said.

"Nobody talks about my Father like that all right?" The youth said, now regretting his brazen action. The youth had a lot of tension built up inside from his long stay in the hospital. He hated being useless. He was a lad of action, not sticking around on his ass. Dyne shook his head only now feeling the weight of being a marked man. "So what happens now?"

"Now we train you and your friend in the ways of the Rangers."

Tranquil
09-25-07, 03:30 PM
Shu couldn't take anymore of this listening when he had heard Dyne lash out. He burst through the door just in time to see his knuckles land squarely in the mans face. Shu was expecting something after the cold brass left his cheeks. The mans own outrages words, a yelp, a solid blow to Dyne...But there was nothing. The man showed so little emotion that Shu barely even acknowledged that he spoke a word.

So there Shu stood again, frozen in his steps. Not out of fear, nor lack of ability. Shu was just so highly confused on hat his next steps where to be. If this were up to him, Shu would have already been out in the Fields tending to his animals, going on his expeditions and exploring the world. But no, Shu was in this terrible build, confined by the proverbial shackles that contained him from the freedom of the outside world.

Though almost all thoughts of freedom seeped from Shu's mind as the man mentioned "Training as a Corone Ranger. "So this letter isn't a fake." Shu managed to blurt out, his eyes a steely gray as he walked beside Dyne, somewhat protecting him as if the man was waiting on throwing a retaliation punch. "We have no choice in the matter you say?" Shu's question was merely rhetorical, but in his heart it seemed as if he wanted the man to tell him he was free to roam the country side again.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
09-25-07, 04:14 PM
Dyne observed Kastor Troy for a long moment. He didn't see Shu enter the hospital room until already happened and the man was by his side. Somehow, the burden of what they were going to face seemed easier with Shu by his side.

"Tch." Dyne started. "I bet you were eyeing me from the moment this whole thing began though. So I didn't have much of a choice in the matter. It just pisses me off that we had to drag my friend Shu in this whole ordeal. I can understand your interest in ME but why can't we let Shu go?" Dyne asked attempting to bargain for Shu's freedom. Somehow, he already knew the answer to that statement. The Syndicate would look to hurt Dyne where it would cause the most amount of pain. Attacking Dyne's friends and family was just the next logical step.

Dyne knew the answer to his words already, they were screwed five ways from Sunday. Dyne didn't like the implications that somehow his own Father had set him up for a fall, but the details were with the devils. Dyne thought about how little he actually knew of his Father's personal dealings and this made him sick to his stomach. He somehow already knew what Kastor was going to say next, but the youth needed to hear it. He clenched his fists angrily as he prepared himself for the burden to be placed upon his shoulders. He knew what was going to happen next, the cards that were going to be played. He clenched his jaws as he prepared himself for what was coming.

Kastor began.

"I'm afraid not. The only way to protect your friend here is by keeping him close. They will send Agents to hurt you in places you least expected. The Syndicate doesn't just hurt you, they hurt everybody whose been around you. It is now public knowledge that your friend here was involved in the acquisition of Magnus. Shu is targeted. Which means they will try to target the entire House of Sora." That was something that Dyne didn't want to hear.

He rubbed the area against his chest where the House of Sora pendant sat and somehow, it felt much heavier than normal.

"The House of Sora can take care of itself. We're the ones who need protection." He suddenly pondered asking Seti and the rest of his House of Sora family for help in this matter. The boy figured it was best not to involve them in such a sordid affair as this. "Fine Kastor. I'm in. If only to keep our necks intact. You start teaching us your Ranger's Code. But don't disrespect my Father's legacy again. I won't tolerate that." Dyne said.

"Fair enough Alberdyne. But remember one thing. Your Father wasn't who you thought he was. We have information at our disposal we can give you when you're ready to hear it." Dyne heard Kastor say. Dyne looked away from the man's haunting gaze. "Keep your information for now. I don't want to hear anything." Dyne said and he knew he was acting like a spoiled brat when he said that. Despite that he wanted desperately to protect the image of his Father. "Lets get this training started then." Dyne concluded.

"Very well. Let's go outside where this will be easier. After all Rangers work best in the field."

Tranquil
09-25-07, 05:02 PM
Shu felt as if his voice box had been ripped from his throat as he had made an attempt to speak. There was no speaking for Shu. Only the lump of his swallowed pride remained in his throat, and a large heap of despair sat in the pit of his stomach as he made the slow walk out of the hospital.

On one hand, Shu thought that this training might not be so bad. He would be in the great outdoors that he loved ever so dearly. The training h would be receiving would teach him how to increase him combat capabilities which were desperately in need of training. They could possibly even teach him how to further advance his Magical skills. Shu then shook his head and reminded himself that he had almost watched the life seem out of Dyne the last time they went to battle.

Shu walked slowly, his eyes looking through the windows into the great meadows that he once tread upon. His gloved hands reached up to wipe a single tear from the pale gray eye. He sighed heavily as he ran his fingers through his hair, so it laid upon the back of his freshly cleaned silken scarf fluttered so gently as he walked. Shu's hands then retreated to his sides where they had nothing to clench, as his familiar oaken staff had been sliced in half in order to save his own life. The remnants of his staff were now tucked safely into the sash of his robe and Shu concentrated hard on the walk ahead.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
09-25-07, 10:23 PM
Dyne felt guilty that his friend no longer had his staff. He would offer to rebuild it for him whenever he got the chance to learn some carpentry skills as well. So far he was learning the art of the Blacksmith. Following Kastor, the youth wore his typical all black outfit, with a Vlince cloak flowing behind him as he walked. Dyne moved considerably slower than he normally might as he was still learning how to walk again. He limped along carefully deciding that he needed a cane to walk with.

One of the nurses saw the youth struggling with his movements. Kastor didn't bother to try and help him. As far as Kastor was concerned Dyne needed to learn how to move on his own without assistance. The nurse brought Dyne and a cane. The youth took this and fitted it under his arm grabbing the handle. He looked at Kastor and saw that the man continued to walk forward not bothering to stop at all. This angered Dyne. "HEY WAIT YOU BIG JERK!"

Dyne limped forward knowing that somewhere nearby would be his friend Shu. Dyne was eager to be on his way but he didn't see the need to rush. He still had injuries that were slowly recovering over time. He looked upon Kastor's form for a moment as the man kept walking and this flustered the boy to no end. He tried to speed up the best he could but he lost his balance and ended up falling down with a loud "OOF!" Several nearby nurses saw the Cormyr boy fall down and immediately went to his side to assist him.

"Lave him alone!" Kastor suddenly called out stopping what he was doing. "Let him stand on his own two damned feet. The snot nosed brat can use his own legs." The nurses looked up at him. "But s-sir he's injured!" Kastor suddenly turned around and slapped the nurse hard. "You disgust me." He said to her with an angry growl. Then he moved over to Dyne who looked up incredulously from the floor. "YOU WANT TO BE A CORONE RANGER THIS PATHETIC ATTITUDE OF YOURS WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO SURVIVE THE TRAINING. ON YOUR FEET YOU SCUM!" Kastor suddenly yelled his outburst and kicked at Dyne. The youth was kicked hard across the face and grunted in agony, he flew several feet back.

Security guards gathered around the scene but pretty much allowed Troy to do what he needed to. After all, Troy was a member of the Corone Rangers and they looked out for the common-man. Dyne was nothing but a spoiled rich boy and they all knew it. He was a spoiled rich boy trying to play the roll of a hero. "You know the worst part about all of this crap is kid? I believe in you. Show me what you got you little green brat. Show me that you aren't your Father's shadow. Show me that you aren't like the rest of those dirty nobles. And you'll earn our respect. Get up on your feet!" Kastor said. "Your Father was nothing but a liar." The hit a nerve with Dyne.

Dyne felt himself get angry and tried hard to discipline himself. He remembered the Monks' training and tried to isolate the pain using a deep meditation technique. With tears flowing from his eyes the youth stared angrily at Troy. "YOU WANT ME TO STAND, I'LL STAND YOU BIG UGLY APE!"
Dyne pushed up with his shoulders and moved into a sitting position. Focusing on moving his legs the youth carefully bent them at the knees and pushed himself up to a standing position. He felt incredible pain shooting up and down his lower limbs. This solicited tears from his eyes but in short order he was able to stand without the use of his cane. Dyne did some deep breathing exercises like the Monks taught him. He stretched and moved slowly as Anila taught him that faithful day of their spar. "Mind. Spirit. Body. Discipline." He started the mantra repeating it over and over. "Ack!" The youth fell down but stopped himself at his knees. Several nurses attempted to move towards Dyne's person but Kastor stopped them with a movement of his hand.

They nodded and stood still knowing that Kastor wouldn't allow any interference in this matter. "Mind. Spirit. Body. Discipline." Once again standing the youth repeated the mantra feeling the pain in his legs slowly fading away. He concentrated until his mind washed the pain away. After a bit of time passed the youth found that he once again had control of his legs and a surge of energy passed through them, blood. Dyne looked up at Kastor with hate in his eyes. Up until that point the only other person that Dyne ever hated in his whole life was his own Mother. "I...hate you Kastor Troy. I will never forget this day."

"Good you punk. Cause you just passed your initiation. I'm going to bust your balls and your back and your legs a million times over before this training is through. We'll make a man out of you yet."

"Kastor. One of these days I'm going to kill you." Dyne suddenly said and meant it. The words hung like a spider's web between the two warriors.

Tranquil
09-25-07, 10:58 PM
Shu had been walking peacefully a corridor away when he heard Dyne scream in pain, and he quickly ran over to his position, only to be stopped by a hand motion of a rather large man. Shu wanted so bad to go and help Dyne stand, to offer to help share the burden, but this was Dunes task. Shu hadn't the slightest idea of Dyne's past, nor did he ask to know of it. So Shu stood behind Kastor, clenched black gloved fists catching flame as the anger in Shu's eyes peered out.

Though a few moments later, after Shu had witnessed Dynes vow to kill Kastor, Shu felt a tap on his shoulder. He immidently turned around and caught a straight punch to the face from a hooded Corone Ranger, and fell to the ground.

Shu awoke outside in the fresh breeze, lying in the high grass not too far from the hospital. The sun was beating down hard, and sweat pellets began to form on Shu's; right above the lump where he had been punched. He reached to his sides and weapons had been taken, his apple, even his induction letter into the Corone Rangers. "Was it all...a dream?" Shu asked as he stood from his sleeping spot, wiping the blood from his mouth.

No, it wasn't a dream. As Shu looked down he saw a bloodied note wrapped around a dagger placed near his bedside. "No..This can't be." Shu said in a slight state of panic.

Shu began to read the note aloud. "We've given you what you want. You are now an unprotected vagabond just as you requested. As you know your magic is useless without your staff. We found this dagger at the bandits hideout; we believe it might have a sentimental value to you? Take your dagger and leave a vagabond; Or come back a Corone Ranger. I assure you, if you do not come back, you shan't live long." The scroll ended in a name inscribed in blood. "Kastor." Shu spat angrily.

Shu quickly sheathed the dagger in his boot and headed back up the large hill toward the hospital. "I swear on my life Kastor, if you live long enough for Dyne to kill you I shall be surprised." Shu balled his fists as he ran though all that was emitted was steam.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
09-26-07, 11:34 PM
Dyne followed Kastor in silence as they both walked outside of the Underwood hospital. Shu was nowhere in sight. Apparently, in Dyne's viewpoint, the Shepard abandoned him when he needed him the most. This was a huge blow to Dyne after he'd faced what he'd faced. Dyne wasn't limping along anymore because his Mantra's disciplined the youth well. The Monks taught him well and now he used his lessons to his advantage. It took him the proper motivations, but the Apprentice. They'd left the town of Underwood. Dyne kept the town at his back keeping an eye on the lecherous Troy.

He'd rather keep the man in front of him than at his back. Dyne knew that he didn't trust the Ranger at all. Despite revealing a specific mode of operation, or code, that the Ranger lived by, Dyne didn't have to agree with it. At least not yet anyway. The youth had been through too damned much for people to judge him and persecute him the way they were persecuting him. Dyne felt the lecherous eyes of people in the hospital stare at him when he'd prepared to leave. Humiliating taunts and whispers touched his ears. Someone through a rock at his back that connected to his shoulder.

Dyne started to hate his Cormyr name more and more. He knew that because of his ancestors' sins, he would pay the price dearly. The hushed whispers grew more bold as he left through the town. Angry stares looked upon him as news spread quickly of his engagement with the Corone Rangers. The Corone Rangers were more widely respected than some snot-nosed brat with a noble's name. My training at the Sleepy Willow means nothing to these people. Nor does my assistance with helping Radasanth during the terrorist attack. I'm nothing but a ruffian to them.

When Dyne walked past the Sleepy Willow, he expected to find some semblance of hope. Some face of neutrality. But no comfort lurked outside the door. Allies worked the forge and cared little for Dyne's personal problems with the Rangers. So the youth had no choice but to endure the persecutions of the people he once thought to be his fellows. How quickly those that cared about you turned on you. Dyne kept a close pace with Troy and walked at about the same speed as the man. It wasn't until they made their way to the pastures that Dyne saw Shu running towards them. That was the only sense of relief he'd felt all day long. And suddenly, he felt guilty about the fact that his friend's staff was broken cause of him.

Tranquil
09-27-07, 01:01 PM
Shu hissed angrily as he saw Kastor and his men walking with Dyne right by him. The note had clearly told him to go back to the hospital..There was something terribly wrong with this situation. Shu quickly stopped in his tracks, and ran back down the hill he climbed until he was withing sight of his friend Dyne.

"Dyne!" Shu called out, his breaths staggered from all of the running he had done. He ran to his friends side and casted an Evil glare at Kastor yet said not a word. "Dyne, think nothing of these townsfolk. Their minds are easily swayed by who are in power so they can lead their lives in peace. They think not for other but for the betterment of themselves." Shu said, finally turning to Kastor as he paced back wards through the enraged town.

"Kastor, I've done your task. I have passed up a life of freedom and exploring. Now please, if you will, give me my weapons." Shu said, arms extended full length, his black gloved hands singing slightly.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
09-27-07, 05:17 PM
Dyne saw Shu and almost pondered telling the man to flee for his life. But once he heard Shu's confessions the youth groaned angrily. The Corone Rangers had them both by the balls, where it hurt the most. It was clear to Dyne that these ruffians were determined to not just bring them into their fold, but OWN them completely. Dyne looked at Kastor for a moment and saw that the older man whistled loudly. His fellows emerged from various parts of the pastures, three in all. Hiding in perfectly plain sight. Dyne would never even have known that they were there!

These Rangers were good, really good. Dyne started to admire their level of skill in their craft. "We're going out to the wilderness. There is a high probability we'll encounter bandits or worse." Kastor began. Dyne worried that in his injured condition he would only be a hindrance to the group. Kastor seemed to read the youth's thoughts and turned to gaze coldly at him. "Don't worry my men will be out there scouting things out while your training begins."

"I'm looking forward to it." Dyne said in a grumbled fashion. One of the Corone Rangers walked over to Shu with a package in his hand. It was Shu's staff only this time, it wasn't in two pieces. The Rangers used whatever resources at their disposal to fix up the staff and even upgrade the basic oak architecture into something far more refined. Liviol. The Ranger kept his eyes on Shu while he handed the Shepard the repaired staff. "We took the liberty of fixing it for you."

Dyne felt sad that he couldn't have been the one to fix Shu's staff. He wanted to talk but judging by Kastor's continuous staring from time to time, he could tell that he wasn't welcomed to speak so he held his tongue. He would wait an opportunity to speak freely.

"From here on in both of you are initiated into the Corone Rangers." Kastor said.

Tranquil
09-27-07, 05:33 PM
Shu's eyes widened as the package was dropped into the palms of his gloved hands. Immediately he felt the familiar surge of energy that he was so used to feeling. Shu ripped the covering off of the staff only to find that the Oaken staff had been completely upgraded. He held it in his right hand and saw that it was much lighter and compact. Where as before it was a good five feet in length, his staff had lost a foot and a half. Shu then saw the glimmering spear at the bottom and recognized it as Plynt. Shu had dreamed of such material before, hearing about it in the bazaars and looking at the blades from afar from behind the counter; now it was on his spear. Shu grabbed a long piece of grass and dropped it on the edge of the Plynt and it sheared it in half.

"I thank you for repairing my staff." Shu said, humbled that they went through the trouble, yet still fighting his inner demons as he wanted to scream that this didn't change his hatred for them.

"I guess i won't be needing this anymore." Shu said as he reached into his boot and grabbed the bloodied dagger. "One of your Rangers might use it to place it in another boot after they knock another initiate out Kastor..Sir." Shu spat as he threw the dagger on the ground and watched it skid to a stop right before his boots.

With his newly crafted staff in hand and Dyne by his side, Shu felt a massive amount of magical energy flowing through his body, the likes of which he had never felt before.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
09-27-07, 05:44 PM
Dyne nodded to his friend once more when he saw that they'd fixed up his beloved staff. "Glad to see that they did that for you." Dyne said knowing full well that Shu had to face his own test in order to earn the fully repaired weapon. He was starting to get a feel for how the organization worked and they were much different from The Syndicate. One could argue that they were much crueler than The Syndicate.

Dyne admitted to himself that he preferred the way that The Syndicate managed things. He'd never reached any of the higher echelons of power within the ranks of The Syndicate, but he'd managed to skillfully complete one of the Syndicate's jobs. It had proven to be a rather fun night out with a companion that his Father organized for him. A Demon Assassin by the name of Morlen. They parted ways after The Syndicate mission was completed and Dyne guessed that Morlen was a senior member of The Syndicate.

Dyne could only ever hope to have reached such ranks. But now he knew that was never going to happen. His allegiances were snatched out from underneath his very feet. To make matters worse, they'd been forced to sell out a fellow Syndicate member who WAS a ranking Agent. He knew there would be repercussions for such a betrayal. Dyne knew he was a marked man.

He looked at the countryside and pondered a retreat into it for the briefest of moments. That moment quickly passed and he turned away from the countryside to continue his walking. He all but ignored Shu, so lost in his thoughts was he. He eyed Kastor waiting for the next phase of the training to begin. For now, they just walked into the beginnings of the Concordia Forest.

Tranquil
09-30-07, 12:34 AM
It had been all too long since Shu had spoken a word. The sound of the wind breaking over the luscious green grass was beautiful when alone, un-nerving with a large group. So Shu broke the silence with a comment he knew he'd regret as soon as the first syllable passed from behind his scarf. "So Kastor, upon which death mission are you leading us to now?" Shu could only walk forward awaiting his answer, or a swift kick as Dyne had received before.

At the same time that Shu had let out his daring comment, it seemed as if the wind had been reading his thoughts, and it slowly turned to a whisper over the grass, and then dulled to not even the faintest wisp. "Of course it had to stop now." Shu sighed heavily, taking this as if a sign that mother nature even wanted to stop what it was doing to hear the words and see the actions that Kastor was about to bestowed upon Shu; either willing or unwillingly.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
09-30-07, 11:47 AM
Dyne walked in silence for the most part. The winds flowing across the beautiful pasture served to calm his troubled heart to a small degree. The presence of his friend was another small comfort. The aches and bruises of the earlier part of the day were returning. Wincing in pain the youth simply endured it in silence out of necessity. He was beginning to respect the madness behind Troy's methods. There was definitely a system of training that that Dyne slowly began to grasp. Troy lead by example.

Once Shu's voice spoke up Dyne shot his friend a quick warning glance. And then Kastor's response surprised Dyne. Dyne saw that Kastor stopped moving completely and seemed to be listening to something far away. It was clear to Dyne that the man operated on a level of skill he couldn't even begin to fathom or guess at. Dyne stopped moving and saw the hand signs to get down. The apprenticed ducked into the high grass when the wind stopped still.

"Your training is your current suicide mission but something is coming."

Dyne heard Kastor say.

Tranquil
10-01-07, 11:43 PM
Shu wasn't exactly sure of what was going on, but he knew that the others around him were so he ducked along with them. He fought the urge and controlled his mouth from blabbering out of control.

Crouched there in silence Shu could feel his heart beat in his hands as he clutched his new and improved staff ever so tight. Working so close with a man of Kastor's statures was so intimidating. Even though Shu despised him so much, he had to give him his respect for the way he stood it was almost as if he could see what was stalking them through the bushes already.

Shu just sat in silence staring out into the tall grass, wondering just what was stalking them.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
10-02-07, 02:16 PM
Meanwhile--

The Koolma was a savage creature of the Concordia Forest. Concordia Forest housed many predators within its ecosystem all of them following the patterns of their natural instincts. Concordia lurked ahead of them, several yards away with all of its mystery and splendor. The trees danced with the wind swaying towards the sunlight. Various layers of the trees contained unique self contained ecosystems featuring different animals and monsters of all sorts.

The Koolma was a creature that stalked the lower levels of the Concordia Forest. It fed off various other animals that it could find and defeat in battle with its powerful arms. It was a large beast, standing at approximately seven feet in height when crouched on all fours. When it stood up on its hind legs, the creature had a massive height of approximately ten-twelve feet.

Koolma had a thick hide. It would take powerful weapons and arrowheads to pierce such a thick hide. The creature had a large neck and an proportioned head that rested on that thick neck. Studious black eyes were fitted into into its eye sockets. The creature had found a scent it particularly liked that went north of the Concordia Forest and that lead it to the pasture area. It was stalking Kastor and his group of fellow Rangers.

The scent enticed the beast with the promise of the hunt. It focused on his predatory instincts more calling upon supernatural senses. Catching the exact location of Kastor and his party, the beast knew exactly where to go. It stalked low to the grass making its way towards the gathered Rangers' current position. The thing occasionally took deep sniffs of the air to ascertain the details of their current location. The Koolma had brown fur, arms that were like tree trunks, and long, twelve inch claws on both sets of its huge paws. This killer now stalked our heroes.

But the scent of death had been a powerful one. When one knew the Concordia Forest well enough they developed a nearly instinctive knowledge of the particular flora and fauna. Kastor was a Ranger his whole life. He was raised in Underwood and trained in Concordia Forest as soon as he learned how to walk. He learned of the particular monsters and plants from local folklore and experimentation. He studied the ways of the Rangers from fellows within Underwood that assisted the youth in becoming a a Corone Ranger.

Now as a man, he recruited new potentials to become Corone Rangers. His latest two finds were a unruly pair but they were short on help. They were short on volunteers. The Corone Rangers needed members if they were going to enforce the Republic of the Corone Rangers. Kastor stole a glance back at Dyne and Shu, they were both ducked down. Good. The grass served to hide them well enough but he knew what stalked them. The subtle scent was too powerful to ignore. Kastor drew a longbow made of Liviol and placed an arrow into the proper position for firing. He pulled the string back.

His collection of arrows were capped with Delar arrowheads. He knew from experience that one needed power if they were to survive the harsh threats of the Concordia Forest. Or any of the wild places of Althanas. A Ranger was an outdoors man. That's the type of life that Kastor lived and preferred, not the life of a Soldier. Now the Corone Civil War was forced upon all of them and Kastor hated having to switch the roles of his life. It was a long process of evolution, but slowly, Kastor grew comfortable with the necessary changes.

His sharp, eagle-like eyes caught a hint of the predator stalking them just a few yards ahead. It got this close already!?

Dyne felt sweat pouring down every inch of his person. His heart race loudly in his throat. The grass was all around him and moved with the movements they made. Dyne tried to stay perfectly still. His nervousness was catching up to him and he remembered that mission with The Syndicate. It was on his mind a lot lately. I'm going to be forced to betray them. Seeing that Kastor drew a longbow and readied it, the youth decided it was high time for him to draw his own weapons.

He prepared the melee batons. He drew them calmly and let them rest against the ground feeling the tension from the moment. The sweat poured down his face, but the youth tried to keep himself from moving against the sweat. He knew that any sort of movements he made would give away their position in the grass. Then just as suddenly, there was a roar from some monster that lurked nearby to their position. Dyne stole a glance at a huge beast that was heading their way.

The youth knew terrible monsters lurked in Concordia Forest and the other wild places of the world. But he'd never exactly encountered any of them in his secluded, sheltered life. Dyne suddenly saw how little he knew of the world. Morlen, the Demon Assassin, took care of most of the hard work during his Syndicate Mission. The youth knew he didn't get his hands dirtied of any dead bodies, but at the same time, he got his hands dirty with the Syndicate's job. Things would never be the same again.

Now the Corone Rangers needed his services. What was he to do? Was Father testing him from beyond the grave? He has information about my Father that I don't know about. One of these days I'll have to ask this guy exactly what he knows. He must think of me as some damned punk. I'll prove him wrong. I'll prove all of them wrong. I was able to get Anila pissed off, I threw her off her game. I'll keep this guy on his toes too. Dyne stole a glance to Shu. If he needed to, he'd run from the battle. And at that precise moment, Kastor let his knocked arrow fly with precision and expertise towards their enemy.

The battle had begun. Dyne saw several more arrows flying from several parts of the grass pasture. It was a directed assault using nothing more than hand signals. He grew impressed at such potent tactics. This excited the youth more, because he was already learning something. They communicated using a complex series of hand signals, just like Trade Speak.

The youth readied himself when he saw that Kastor moved forward. He kept his eyes on the man's hands. For right now, they readied another arrow to be launched at their enemy.

Tranquil
10-02-07, 04:02 PM
Shu's eyes caught Dyne's nervous glance and he smirked slightly beneath his scarf. Shu had seen many a beast in his travels, so this wasn't new to him. Now fighting such a thing was much different, but at least he wasn't quivering.

Now as the arrows began to launch, Shu looked over at Kastor and offered his assistance in his own subtle way. "Incendious." Shu said quietly, but with enough force as for the tips of all the rangers arrows to light aflame.

With that, Shu's hands returned to his staff and he held the Plynt side towards the grass with his knees bent, ready to attack the beast if it were to get through the bombardment of arrows.

"At your command Kastor." Shu said, for once dropping his arrogant attitude. If the were to survive this beat they would have to work together to slay it.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
10-02-07, 07:08 PM
Suddenly, the arrows lit aflame. Dyne saw Kastor's look of surprise and the glance backwards he gave to Shu. The man nodded his approval. They were already working as a unit which was an important matter. The lit up arrows arched downward in mid air almost catching their target off guard. Dyne couldn't help but to stand up with the fear of the moment as he saw the beast completely evade the incoming attack.

The lit up arrows worked against their favor striking their cover at the roots. All at the same time the arrows burned up the grassy pasture sending flame ripping quickly through the underbrush. Dyne saw Kastor stand up. "DAMN WE MISSED! ALL RIGHT EVERYBODY, RUN INTO THE FOREST!" Dyne heard Kastor yelling and he didn't have to be told twice. The monster was huge and the fire spread quickly. To make matters worse, the monster's thick hide didn't seem to be bothered by the intense flames at all. Spreading through the pasture as wildfire usually does, several nearby oak trees caught aflame as well.

Dyne could see the plant life and vegetation dying as the fires spread. This made him angry. It was a screw up on their part that caused so much destruction but nothing could be done about it except one thing. "SHU! USE THAT FREEZE SPELL ON THE FIRE BEFORE IT SPREADS TOO FAR!" Dyne had seen his friend use the Ice-based spell several times before. He knew he was acting out of line, but he didn't care. Concordia didn't have to suffer because of their arrogance. Kastor ran towards the forest not bothering to look behind himself to see if they were all right. Dyne saw that. This was their chance to act on their own.

The underbrush was quickly destroyed by the powerful flames. Dyne saw the fires heading their way. He smelled the intense smoke in the air, attempting to fill his nostrils. He was already hot from the sweat and heat he'd endured while waiting for the beast to strike. Their cover was up. The beast suddenly started to run towards them in a full, lumbering sprint.

Tranquil
10-02-07, 11:06 PM
Shu turned back wards from his flee and he looked at Dyne. Little did Dyne know but his freeze was not water based. the incantation would most likely not put out the fire and they were quickly loosing their group, but Dyne was standing his ground.

"Dyne, move!" Shu screamed as he gripped his staff tightly and slammed the sharpened Plynt into the ground chanted his sell. "Freeze!" And within seconds an explosion of ice shot from Shu's staff and filled the surrounding area. It snuffed out the burning flames, capturing the reeds in a picturesque form of burning.

Shu watched in horror as the terrible beast approached on Dyne. "Dyne, no..." Shu whispered and gripped his staff tightly. Though luckily enough the Freeze spell had gotten far enough to lock the two front massive limbs of the beat into the ground and it was stopped in it's tracks.

"Dyne, move it. It will not hold him for long!" Shu screamed, watching in horror as the ice already started to crack as the beast applied terrible pressure to the trap.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
10-03-07, 10:09 AM
((Moderator note once you read this post you will understand what I'm saying when I say I take full responsibility for it. Good or ill. I did considerable research for this post and I figure I did the best that I could all things considered. Thank you very much and enjoy the rest of the quest))

Little did Dyne know that other forces worked around the boy's life. He'd made some bad decisions in his life but he worked to correct those choices. He knew that nobody could ever forgive him for what he's done except himself. The storm faced him directly. Dyne had a choice he needed to make now. He could either run as the others had run or face his demons. Time slowed down for the boy to a stand-still. He saw his pathetic life flashing before his life.

Many of the would be heroes of Althanas fell before they ever had a chance to do anything. Alberdyne Cormyr stared destiny in the face. It was so simple, it was the simplest thing he could ever do in his life. Tears flowed down his face now as he took one last look at his friends' face. "I'M NO COWARD SHU! I'M NOT GOING TO RUN! BY THE THAYNES I'M NOT GOING TO RUN!" He saw that the devils of his past. The betrayal by his mother, the loss of his Father and his best friend in life. The loss of his caretaker and the butler Reeves. So much tragedy for such a short life.

Now death came once again. He wouldn't allow death to take away Shu as well. He wouldn't allow the Corone Rangers to suffer because of his own past mistakes. Cormyr fashioned his identity that day. The youth did the unthinkable. He ran towards the huge beast. The plan came together like clockwork in his head. He saw what he had to do. He faced the future unafraid. A suddenly powerful breeze touched the ruined pasture. The wind caressed Dyne's face. His ponytail caught the breeze and flowed with it.

He was running towards the beasts' huge mouth. There was only one thing he could do. As he made his way closer to the beast, within half a foot, the thing easily broke through the thin layer of ice keeping him solid to the ground for only the briefest of moments. Dyne could smell the creature's bad breath and taste its hatred in the air. It was an unnatural sort of beast, not part of the normal Concordia Ecosystem by design. But rather a creature from a parallel dimension.

Dyne had no idea what any of that meant. He only knew somehow that this Koolma was not a natural creature of the wild. He trusted his instincts to the last. Jumping at the last possible moment, Dyne allowed himself to be SWALLOWED WHOLE BY THE HUGE MONSTER.

Tranquil
10-03-07, 12:14 PM
"Dyne, you idiot, there's no need!" Shu screamed as he knew what he was going to do before he did it. Shu tried to shoot a Freeze spell at Dyne's feet but the spell had missed and Shu watched in horror as Dyne jumped willingly into the creatures gaping jowls.

Shu roared in a fit of bestial wrath and his entire staff glazed over in ice, then lit aflame. "You beast, what have you done with him?!" Shu screamed angrily. It seemed with every angry word Shu spat out his staff gave off more and more magical energy. "Give him back to me!" Shu roared and began a charge at the beast.

Shu quickly made it upon the beast and escaped a crushing blow that made the ground beneath that made his legs quiver. "Die you beast!" Shu called out as he ran past the monsters massive arm and stabbed his staff into the underside of the demon. The thick hide was pierced just slightly, but the fire and ice rushed through the hole and it wailed horribly in agony.

Shu was caught off guard by it's dagger like claws, all five of them, as he drug his paw back and threw Shu nearly thirty feet back wards as he landed with a dull thud in the burnt grass.

The effect of the icy hot stab did almost nothing but enrage the beast more, and now Shu was bleeding profusely from his chest. Shu gasped for air as the beast began to stalk his way through the grass to finish him off. His last attack had nearly drained all of his magical energy leaving him defenseless. "I shall be meeting you once again soon, Dyne." Shu said solemnly. "I'm sorry, I tried my best to avenge you my friend."

Alberdyne_Cormyr
10-03-07, 02:55 PM
((And here we go))

Pulsating, living liquid surrounded the Dyne as he flowed through the body of the beast. His heart beat as one with the monster's heart. Dyne flowed through the creature's blood stream in a state of near-death, dementia, and insanity. A desire for survival awoke within the boy that day. He showed unparalleled courage and heroism. Sacrificing himself for the sakes of his fellows' survival.

Beyond in the thick gooey bloodstream, he saw a glowing orb. Thick as a bleeding red sun. The object contracted and retracted with the beating of its form. And Dyne knew what that object was. He was staring at the heart of the beast and moved through the bloodstream towards it. Touching death now, the youth courageously shed all fear. He let go of his hatred towards his Mother, Alma Cormyr. He let go of the loss of his Father and the Butler Reeves, and he let go of the fact that when IT happened, he'd run away.

He'd run from his Mother instead of confronted her. The mark on his forehead revealed itself as he shed the feeble headband that attempted to cover his birthright. Dyne moved towards the powerful heart of the beast, reaching out towards it. He was oblivious to what went on outside, and at the same time he knew perfectly well. So intimately connected to the monster, he could see what the monster saw. He saw the instinctive attack of rage and hatred as the beast attacked his best friend.

This made Dyne angry. He wanted to damage the beast where it hurt the most. He followed a intertwining path of organic tubing and muscles making his way towards that beating heart. In a few moments, the youth grabbed the huge heart in his arms and embraced it with all his might. Bubbles of air flowed from the boy's mouth as he struggled for air. Veins bulging on his forehead as he started to fade in and out of consciousness. Blood and other organic fluids rushed into his nostrils and his open mouth. He struggled against the substance rapidly filling his lungs.

All he needed to do was squeeze. And so he squeezed. With all of his might, and within a few moments Dyne felt the powerful muscles collapse underneath his strength. His own muscles squeezed against the organ as he crushed it giving the beast a massive cardiac arrest as his heart suddenly caved in on itself. Dyne needed to get out now. He felt the creature convulsing in horror as he had the massively lethal heart attack.

The monster fell down to the ground in his throes of death, thrashing about everywhere. Dyne grabbed his melee baton, feeling his way towards the walls of the monster's flesh. He started to beat the muscular flesh apart from the inside out so he could create his escape route.

Kastor saw the creature swallow Dyne up and then Shu engaged it in an act of desperation. Kastor stared with a mixture of astonishment and anger. He started to run towards the two boys when something unexpected happened. A huge amount of blood suddenly burst upwards from the beasts' mouth where moments earlier, it had swallowed Dyne Corona. The beast had what appeared to be a massive cardiac arrest. Apparently, Dyne hadn't tasted too good. The creature convulsed in seizures and fell down to the ground, dead, but not before doing its damage on Shu. The Ranger hand motioned to his companions and they immediately went towards Shu to treat the man's injuries the best that they could.

Kastor's sharp eyes caught something trying to burst out of the side of the beasts' massive rib cage area. Could it be?

Tranquil
10-03-07, 10:58 PM
Shu worried not about his own state of near unconsciousness, his blood loss was great, but when he saw the beast fall literally feet from him it gave Shu great hope. "You fools, Dyne is alive. Don't fliter about with me, it's just a flesh wound!" Shu screamed. He was obviously hurt badly, but his eyes saw what Kastors did. Dyne was struggling for survival inside the beast. "Get him out before I cut the beast open myself!" Shu said angrily, holding his chest in pain as he fell back wards taking in deep breaths.

Shu's head landed gently on the ground, the smell of burning flesh and blood were becoming increasingly familiar to him, and it was beginning to worry the boy. From where his head lay Shu could see Dyne's desperate efforts to pound through the massive beats Ribcage, and he saw as the Rangers ran twoards it, attempting a rescue mission. All that was on Shu's mind was, "Where in the blue hell was Kastor?"

Alberdyne_Cormyr
10-04-07, 12:21 PM
"If you can hear us, stand back Dyne!"

One of the Rangers said. He drew a longsword and expertly swung his weapon towards the massive rib cage area. He cut through the creature's epidermis slicing about halfway in. He made a perfectly vertical incision that cut open enough space for Alberdyne Cormyr to emerge from the belly of the beast. As the wound was cut open, the process began to remove the creature's rib cage bones.

The other Rangers went to Shu to help. There was another problem that the group was worried about. The corpse of the huge beast had the potential to attract something very dangerous. Kastor was nearby but he kept his eyes peeled around the battlefield. He knew how the Concordia Forest worked intimately. The dead attracted scavengers and they only had a small window of opportunity before the carrions arrived...

Dyne saw a single shaft of light rip through the muscular outer layer of the beast. Hearing what the Rangers told him to do, the youth concentrated on breaking the rib cage bones to clear himself a path. Dyne was slipping in and out of consciousness because of the oxygen loss to his brain. He'd already been holding his breath with strong lungs for several minutes and now acted out of desperation purely.

As he broke the ribs he saw the sword blade pierce the flesh and provide his exit. Dyne broke just enough ribs that he would be able to make his way the hell out of there. He grabbed onto the sides of the surgical incision once he broke enough ribs to proceed forward. The ribs simply floated in place but the youth didn't care, he needed air. Liquid from the beast slowly started seeping out of the injury and spilling upon the burnt earth just outside.

Dyne could taste his freedom. His hands grabbed the sides and pulled the injury apart with all the strength he had left. He created a vast tear in the creature's side where more liquid and bodily gore spilled onto the ground. Chunks and pieces of various organic material flowed out with the liquid stream of gunk. Dyne pushed his way out of the beast alongside the rest of the stuff that flowed with him. Dyne was covered in bodily goo. He stepped out gasping for air and dripping from head to toe. As soon as the warrior breathed for air his body gave out from underneath him and he passed out.

Only one of them knew of a threat that gathered.

As Dyne emerged from the corpse and rigor mortis began to set in, Kastor finally made his approach to the group. He'd been studying the progress of another enemy that steadily approached them. "Grab the two of them, I don't care how much he resists right now. We're going. They are coming already."

"Sir it hasn't been even five minutes yet!"

"I can see them approaching already. We don't have much time man. Just do as you're told and let's get the Hell out of here I don't want to have to--

But it was already too late. Before Kastor could finish his sentence a black cloud of buzzing wings emerged from the bushes of the forest. "DAMN THEY ARE HERE THEY WILL ATTRACT MORE OF THEM! GRAB THOSE TWO AND START RUNNING DAMN IT!" After they'd managed to patch up some of Shu's wounds the Rangers made an attempt to grab the Mage. After they'd tried to grab Shu the nearest to Dyne made his attempt to grab him. In his unconscious state, the youth was an easy target and grabbed without any sort of trouble. Kastor prepared himself a very special arrow as the huge, angry swarm approached them very slowly.

"They are taunting us, damn it." Kastor knew.

Tranquil
10-06-07, 12:19 AM
Shu resisted the urge to pass out no more once he saw the living form of Dyne. Shu succumb to the overwhelming blood loss that had occurred before he had been successfully bandaged. He had seen the Rangers coming toward him, and heard the distant sounds of more scavengers off a way. Shu knew in this condition he was worthless, so he let his eyes droop closed and allowed himself to be carried by the Rangers.

As Shu floated in and out of consciousness, he would awake to his foot being smashed on a large rock. He would wonder why he wasn't being carried in a safer way, and then fade back into the darkness of unconsciousness.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
10-07-07, 03:02 PM
The Corone Rangers lifted Dyne and Shu off their respective positions up over their shoulders. The Corone Rangers then, in turned, started a mad sprint to the Concordia Forest using light feet to carry their loads. Kastor Troy, the leader of this particular unit of Corone Rangers stayed behind to deal with the swarm of killer gnats that steadily approached him. Kastor finished preparing the special arrow head for just such a situation as this. Knocking the arrow into his long bow, the Ranger let the arrow fly with timed precision.

He aimed at the center of the ground beneath the swarm of deadly insects. As a single entity, the cloud reacted as expected and moved to evade that incoming arrow. They weren't necessarily the target. As soon as the arrow bolt came in contact with the ground, the special tip opened up revealing several chambers that released vents. The vents, in turn, spilled their contents (compressed as they were) into the air flowing rapidly towards the cloud of gnats. A colorful cloud touch the group of gnats.

The cloud was a bright blue sparkling dust that contained a very sweet oder to it. It was specially designed for such pests by a group of Elves calling themselves The White Guild. Their ability to research such concoctions and fund projects thanks to their salvaging of pearls was infamous in Corone. So much so that the Syndicate often targeted them for pearl theft. Once the Ranger got the cover he needed, Kastor broke into a full speed run to catch up with his fellows...

Hours Later--

A warm campfire was set up in the Concordia Forest. They were on the ground level of the huge tropical rain forest. They'd barely covered a few yards in their efforts to avoid the swarm of insects that attacked an earlier monster kill. So far, the two warriors in their midsts were passing every tests that the Corone Ranger could think of to throw at them. Dyne Corona sat in front of the fire, shivering with cold and attempting to warm himself up with the single, thick, blanket that surrounded him. It was a brown blanket with native patterns that was made of some sort of cloth-like material.

Dyne hadn't had a chance to admire the woven-craft of the blanket. He was too busy shaking with cold from the after effects of the gunk that he'd been dunked in not too long ago. Thanks to his foolish bravery the Corone Rangers were able to defeat such a huge beast with no casualties to their group. Kastor sat across from Dyne. Shu was someplace nearby. (I don't bunny damn it :P) Dyne wasn't exactly sure well.

"You know you're really something else kid, I gotta hand it to you." Dyne said. "I've never seen anything like that in all my days. Frankly I was too stunned to really think clearly up until the moments that the gnats attacked us."

"What I wanna know is why you weren't able to react quicker? You were really that afraid of that thing? I just did what I thought needed to be done. The Monks of Ai'bron trained me to react to any situation regardless of the level of threat we faced. Keep your head cool at all times."

Dyne lectured. And now he was taking center stage of the philosophical debate which is where he preferred to be. The proud youth didn't want anyone lecturing to HIM after the education he'd received growing up. He saw that Kastor listened to him and that was a perfect ending to the sordid encounter so far.

"Welcome to the Corone Rangers. You've passed your Initiation Exam with flying colors. Now we have to talk about survival in the Wild. That is the true expertise of the Corone Rangers. Let me tell you about Concordia Forest. Chances are you've been here at some point or another--"

"I don't mean to be rude to you Sir, but I've lived here my whole life. I'm not ignorant like you might take me for. I've come to know some of its dangers and necessary ways of living. I've lived here my whole life like I said earlier. If you got only boring lectures for me, save it cause I'm not interested in it." Dyne said turning away from the more experienced Ranger. "I'd rather be reading or training right now anyway. But I've suffered a shock so I'm going to rest." The young philosopher said staring at Kastor for his response. He saw Kastor staring at him intensely for a long moment and then the man spoke up.

"Very well then." Kastor nodded towards Dyne. "We'll save the lecturing for a little later, get your rest." Kastor stood up and walked over to Shu's person to see how the other was.

Tranquil
10-08-07, 07:52 PM
Shu sat mere yards away from the group, not too far to be attacked but far enough to be isolated. Shu had awoken propped up against a rather large Oak tree with his Staff on the ground next to him. Shu's body quivered from the chill that the Night wind brought. Cursing in agony, Shu clutched his chest as even the slight movement as a quiver sent waves of pain through his body.

"Incendious." Shu whispered and his staff lit aflame. He inched his body along the tree stump ever closer to his flaming staff trying to ignore the pain, wanting the warmth that he staff was providing. As Shu finally reached his destination, he let his body go limp and he closed his eyes.

Shu heard the voice of Kastor Troy announce to Dyne that he was officially a Corone Ranger, and Shu was proud of his friend. He had suffered much to save the group. But just as Shu was growing use to the sounds of the two talking, the voices stopped, and all hat was heard were two feet crunching leaves nearing Shu's body.

Shu mustered the strength to look up upon who was encroaching his encampment only to see that it wasn't his dear friend but Kastor, the one who left them to deal with he beast. Little did Shu know that Kastor kept the killer Gnats at bay for their safe retreat. "All hail our brave leader." Shu mocked to himself and lay his head on his makeshift pillow of leaves.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
10-09-07, 01:37 PM
((Sorry for the delay))

Facing the darkness around them, Kastor Troy sat down nearby to Shu's magically lit staff. He heard the man's comment and simply nodded in response. He knew that this hadn't been the greatest day for the Corone Rangers or even Kastor's own bravery, but the latter mattered very little compared to the former. Surrounding them at every angle were powerful ancient oak trees that stood at miles high in some cases. Kastors' eyes observed the darkness and the mysterious way in which the light played against the dark.

Shadows many feet long twisted and danced with the movements of the fire as it swirled with the wind. Kastor observed the strange Magus and respected his power greatly. He saw that Dyne and Shu shared a special bonding with one another. Kastor hoped to one day share such a bonding with these two men but there was very little time for that on the open battlefield. He let the others sleep while he took up First Watch...

Dyne slept on the ground and it was the best sleep he'd had in a long time. After his near-death experience the youth found himself falling fast asleep from the exhaustion. With the threats of the huge beast long behind them, the group had a simple dinner of beef jerkies and fruits gathered from nearby fruit bearing trees. The Rangers also carried their own supplies of food they'd procured from the limitless resources of the forest. The dinner had been filled with conversation as Troy explained the Code of the Rangers. As he talked, Dyne listened.

Dyne learned a great deal of the Rangers but found himself feeling extremely exhausted after the ordeal. Once Dyne was ready to call it a night he gathered himself and went to sleep after the earlier argument with Troy. He really didn't want to hear anymore lecturing at that point. The youth was exhausted and traumatized and needed some good, healthy sleep. With the food in his stomach the youth was able to get the sleep he needed. He found himself falling fast asleep.

Meanwhile--

The forces of Darkness gathered. Nenkulor, with Lady Alma at his side met with fellow associates from the Syndicate. Working within Corone as the dark hand that manipulated its Underworld, the unholy trinity worked carefully to keep things as chaotic as possible. Nenkulor saw the future and attempted to bring about a future that he'd been constructing. The old Prophet carefully observed the mysterious leader of The Syndicate. A man calling himself Dark. Dark was wearing all black, completely covering his person with a cloaked hood.

The room itself had the smell of recent sex in the air. Candles with flowing wax of various colors were placed strategically throughout the den-like room they stood in. The ceiling was high and there was a lot of room to walk around in. There was the hide of a fallen beast of some wild place or another, stuffed like a pig on the floor. The beast's mouth was open and Nenkulor stood atop the center of the beast. Lady Alma sat at his side.

"What is the position of the boy now?" Nenkulor asked.

"You're the Prophet, should you not know this already?" Dark mocked.

"Do not pretend to mock me Dark. Don't forget that I am the hands that feed you, you know how The Sight works. The boy has The Sight. He is very important to my plans and must remained unharmed during the battle. Do you understand? You are to capture him alive. Separate him from the Chosen One." Nenkulor said, speaking once again in riddles.

"You know I can't stand your riddle-speak old man. But you are right, there's no sense in biting the hands that feed you. My men will be informed not to harm the one that you seek. What about his companion?"

"They are too dangerous." Nekulor replied. "Kill them all. Especially the Chosen One." Nenkulor had a vile expression on his face. "Make sure you bring me his head."

"Kill them all. I only need Alberdyne Cormyr alive for the next part of the Prophecy to be fulfilled." Nenkulor added.

"Very well, I shall take my leave Lord Nenkulor."

II

Dyne yawned and found himself waking up with a stretch. That was the best sleep that he'd had in a long time in the bosom of the forest. He saw that the campfire was already put out and that the Rangers were keeping themselves busy procuring supplies or sparring amongst one another. The youth went over to a nearby stream and filled his own jerkins up with a fresh supply of water. He knew that with the Rangers nearby there was very little that could possibly hurt him. Dyne saw Shu and nodded to him as he refilled his basic water rations up. Dyne then disrobed his clothing and took a dip in the stream to clean himself off from the events of the day before. Dyne let himself sink underneath the surface of the water for a moment to cover his whole person in deep water. He took some soap from his travel packs and bathed in the natural clean water.

Tranquil
10-10-07, 11:10 PM
Shu awoke with the sensation of great pain ripping through through his for head. Shu crouched up wards ignoring the dull pain in his healing chest as he tried to focus on the powerful magic source that was making his eyes water with crystalline tears. Shu felt a very dark power source far off in the distance, and had to fight the urge to pass out from the pain.

Shu screamed in agony and slammed his gloved fist into the dirt and dug deep into the ground. Time slowed down so that seconds felt like hours and minuets felt like days. Shu saw Dyne walk by his side and it looked as if he were striding past him in slow motion. Shu tried to call out to his friend but the words escaped him and only pain filled him. Dirt filled in his hands as he pounded the ground reverently.

Shu made a desperate attempt to grab his staff and as his outstretched gloved hand grasped the weapon a surge of magical power rushed through the weapon, and a dark bolt shot from the bottom of the Flynt and burned into the ancient oak, leaving a smoldering hole right next to Shu.

Shu's head began to stop pulsating after the blast had been shot from his staff. Shu lay curled with his legs close to his heaving chest. His berates were short, each seemed to be a hassle. Shu's gray eyes stared up at the sky, trying to relax his body, taking in the bright colors.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
10-11-07, 01:54 PM
As Dyne bathed himself he felt a sense of comfort knowing that the Corone Rangers were nearby and doing their duties to protect one another. Dyne could survive in Concordia on his own without their help if need be. He'd already proven himself worthy of their praise with that selfless act of foolish bravado he'd displayed earlier. The images of the battle with the monster were still fresh in his mind and he'd had some nightmares about the beast pursuing him in the wilderness. Dyne knew that there could be more of those creatures somewhere in the forest possibly pursuing them.

Dyne heard a scream coming from Shu's direction and immediately turned to face his person. His friend seemed to be in a great deal of pain from some unknown tormentor, possibly delirium due to the heavy injuries that Shu sustained during the battle. From his position in the stream, Dyne observed Troy moving to Shu's person rapidly. Dyne took his time finishing his relaxing bath and moved out of the stream. He was already developing an impressive physique and an equally impressive collection of scars. Dyne wore his family heirloom necklace around his neck and the silver necklace that marked him as a member of the House of Sora. He also wore the magical ring he obtained from doing that bastard Ottocar's dirty work in the Syndicate.

Once Dyne was finished he slowly emerged from the stream and walked over to where his dry clothing awaited nearby. He took one of the towels from his backpack and dried himself off with a few quick strokes of the towel. He replaced the towel back in his travel packs and smiled to himself. A proper nobleman kept himself clean at all times. Dyne placed his clothing on and only after all that was done did he go to assist his friend Shu. He knew from first hand experience that the man valued his secrets and privacy.

Dyne walked over to Shu after grabbing his belongings. He saw that Troy already attended to his friend. When Dyne reached their position he nodded casually towards Troy's person who nodded back in return. Dyne watched while Kastor Troy attempted to counsel his agonized companion. They all knew from experience that sometimes, just sometimes, the battle stayed with you and demons haunted warriors after the fact. Dyne grabbed the handles of his melee batons just in case another battle broke out whilst they camped. He eyed Troy for a moment.

"So what's wrong with him?"

"I think that battle devils have got him." Troy responded. "But I'm not sure he seems to be delirious from yesterday's injuries. This will do us no good, we need to apply more solvents. Dyne, get me some of those blue mushrooms over there, I've got an idea." Troy said.

"All right give me a moment." Dyne said in return and went to gather up a good amount of the nearby blue mushrooms as Kastor ordered. The youth knew that a part of being a Ranger was knowing the ways of the land. And so he did everything he could to learn The Code. He pictured one of Lord Seti's lectures and this amused him somewhat as he worked to gather the mushrooms he needed for the task at hand. Once he was satisfied that he had a good amount prepared, he went back over to Troy's position.

"Here. I hope it's enough." Dyne said and handed Troy several of the mushrooms. "It'll do. These blue ones are said to calm the mind from battle-trauma. They are fairly common. We call them Shrolims." The Ranger said calmly. "They also have a substance that calms the nerves and serves as an anaesthetic. I didn't think he would be so seriously injured that it would traumatize him in such a way. We need to work quickly. Shu! I'm going to give you a mushroom that will help you deal with the pain. You're experiencing a trauma right now. Don't trust your senses you are likely sensing all kinds of things right now. It's the battle-trauma." Troy said.

"Nod if you understand what I've just told you Shu."

Tranquil
10-11-07, 02:53 PM
Shu faded in and out of consciousness from the agony he had just been put through. Though as his eyes opened they grew bright, shining like the sun. Shu felt his arm swing quickly in front of him as he heard Kastors voice. It was aimed not at the body, but the Mushroom.

"The Darkness, it comes. We must prepare for a battle that awaits us; mass genocide. They know of where we are...Who we are. They see our every move!" Shu screamed again as the pain was back in his head, ripping his temples to shreds.

"You must do everything you can Kastor, Dyne." Shu said, his voice now as low as a whisper as his body curled up once again, his hand tightly gripped around his staff. "Everything you can to not be seperated...Protect the chosen one." Were Shu's last words before he passed unconscious.

These were all of the odd words that he had heard blasting through his head and he had made the best sense of it that he could, and gave them to Kastor and Dyne.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
10-12-07, 02:20 PM
Shu's outburst startled Dyne Corona greatly. He'd never seen such an outburst from his friend before and he looked over to Troy for leadership. Dyne saw that Shu smacked the mushrooms out of Troy's hands. A look of frustration crossed the latter's face. Dyne had no idea what to do next, the outburst had a ring of truth to it. Dyne felt something strange in his gut as he felt that the truth was falling right on his lap. There was some far off tormentor troubling the Magus. Dyne looked at Kastor.

"I don't think he's experiencing delirium. I think it's something else. It could be one of his Mage Powers. It's some sort of a warning a thing. He's telling us what to do next." Dyne said calmly. He put his hand against his chin as he stood there in deep thought. Dyne thought carefully about the words Shu spoke in the sudden outburst. There was a part of it that was clearly meant for Dyne and another part of the prophecy meant for Kastor. "Either way it would be wise to do as he says. I think we should stick together from here on in Troy."

"That was the plan all along. I'll be keeping an eye on him." Troy responded casually placing the collection of mushrooms in his personal packs for later use. Dyne was beginning to admire the man. "Troy there's something I want to say to you." The youth said. Troy simply nodded. "What is it?" He responded in turn. "I'm sorry for my behavior the other day Troy. I didn't mean to threaten you the way I did." Dyne said apologizing for his irrational behavior. Though given circumstances was it hard to blame the youth?

"Don't worry about it. I was perhaps too harsh on you. But we needed to get things going and I had to think on the spot. So apology accepted. Don't harbor any rancor towards me. I am merely doing what I think is right." He said calmly in response. Dyne nodded. "I understand. I don't hate you, I don't want to hate you. After the thing with the monster consider us even. I won't attempt to kill you Kastor I've seen what you are about now. I respect where you are coming from."

"That is good to know Corona. You aren't half bad yourself for a nobleman."

Dyne heard Kastor compliment him and they both laughed. This was the heartiest moment he'd had in sometime since they'd come across Kastor Troy for the first time some moons ago. Dyne felt better after the laughter nodding towards Troy once before moving to take his post by Shu. Troy looked at Dyne. "Do you want to continue those lectures? I have to instill the code into you young one." Troy said.

"All right, let's do that then."

Tranquil
10-13-07, 12:44 AM
Shu sat up quickly and stared at Kastor and Dyne with curious eyes. "What, is this a party?" Shu said in a sarcastic tone as he was baffled by Dyne and Kastor's hearty laughter. "Please, if I said anything funny fill me in, I need a good luck. It feels as if my head's been split in two." Shu clutched his head, though had no idea what had gone wrong. "Which one of you genius' clobbered me?" Shu seethed as he pulled himself from the ground using his staff to support his body weight.

Shu walked over to the Oak tree and looked at where the dark bolt of energy had passed from his staff. "Kastor, Dyne, you might want to come look at this." Shu said, still slightly doubled over as drops of red blood dripped from his wounds onto the rocky, dirt covered roots of the tree.

"Some massive force of dark energy shot this tree. Odd, what's dark magic doing around here?" Shu asked, oblivious to the scene that had just occurred earlier.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
10-13-07, 09:05 PM
Dyne saw the look in Kastor's eyes. Perhaps Troy had been right in assuming the temporary insanity of his friend Shu. Was it the battle damage? Or was it something far more serious? Dyne sensed the truth in the mysterious prophecy that Shu uttered on the verge of hysteria. He wondered what secrets the Magus kept now. He turned his gaze away from Shu for a moment unsure as to how to respond. The dark bolt came from YOU Shu. Dyne thought to himself unable to put the words to his close friend.

Dyne heard Kastor break the silence.

"It was hear before you guys arrived. You were in shock all night. I noticed it the other night but never said anything about it. Didn't seem relevant to our situation. But I'm glad you're feeling much better Shu." Kastor said. Dyne saw that Kastor shot him an uncomfortable gaze. Dyne nodded in understanding he was supposed to say something.

"Shu you were in incredible amounts of pain. It was cause of that thing that attacked us. It cut you pretty bad, you're scarred for life. It's possible that that trauma affected you in more ways than what we can see on the surface." Dyne said to his friend. He hated having to lie, but the youth saw no reason in divulging the information to Shu. It wasn't necessary and there was no way to assure if Shu had been in a moment of insanity. Were his words really a prophecy? Did Shu really have such power?

These were dangerous thoughts and Dyne Corona knew that was the truth.

He had to protect his friend at all costs. Dyne stood up but Kastor kept himself in a kneeling position as he studied the burnt tree. Kastor simply shook his head. Dyne had no idea what to do or say next. He was already treading on icy ground by lying to his friend. He didn't want to make this a bad habit. He took a couple of steps forward to the tree and touched the area where the burnt part of the bark stood. Placing his hand upon it, Dyne felt his hand burn immediately. He quickly removed his hand.

"Ouch that wasn't the most brilliant idea I've ever had." Dyne said and clutched his hand. It hurt even through his brass knuckles.

Tranquil
10-14-07, 11:13 PM
"Well, no matter where the energy came from dark Magic is unsafe to be around. Maybe we should split up and search for the source." Shu suggested as he walked around slowly. Though as the words slowly poured from his mouth he began to take in Kastor and Dyne's drawn out facial expressions. "You two look ill, are you alright?" Shu questioned with a cocked eyebrow.

As Shu walked he stabbed the green grass with the Flynt edged side of his staff, pondering the source of the Black magic. Shu walked until he heard Dyne yelp in pain. He looked back at where the tree had been struck only to see that the hole was still smoldering. Dyne had obviously touched the hole, he burnt his hand. Shu had been standing still for a few seconds and he began to smell and unfamiliar singe.

Shu let out a gasp as he stared at the Flynt of his staff; it was consumed in dark matter that was slowly burning it's way up the staff. "Kastor, what have you done?" Shu immediately place the blame on Kastor for his men were the ones who fixed it in the first place. Shu was relentless to give up his staff but the dark shadows had advanced so far up the staff that he threw it on the ground and watched in agony as the grass was enveloped in black flame.

"Freeze!" Shu cried and was relieved when the darkness stopped right before it enveloped his entire staff. "Please, I'm in need of some assistance." Shu said, now knowing the reasons for the startled looks on his friend's face. He had been the one who produced the Dark Magic..Dyne just didn't have the heart to tell him.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
10-15-07, 04:05 PM
A mark burned itself upon his hand. Dyne felt pain from where he'd touched the scorched tree. He turned to look at his companions for a moment, Troy and Shu. Troy was staring incredulously as the staff seemed to consume itself with its own magics. Troy knew nothing of the archaic arts. And Dyne would fair even worse at such mysteries. Dyne was a Psionic, not a Magus. He walked over to his friend's position clutching his hand at the same time.

They were now in quite the predicament. Dyne knew that Troy wanted to give them more lectures but the teachings of the Code would have to wait. Dyne stood by his friend's side. "I don't know what I can do to help. I don't know anything about the archaic arts." Just then, Dyne saw it. A Phantom moved just beyond his peripheral vision. "WAIT! Why didn't I see it before, damn it!"

Dyne understood what had happened. A Phantom touched Shu's staff in a moment that they were all caught off guard. Dyne stared at the fleeing Wraith pondering its pursuit. He knew he would be powerless against such a creature from the Anti-Firmanent. Dyne decided letting it go was the better course of valor. The shadowy Wraith moved beyond his vision and vanished deeper into Concordia Forest.

"It's no good. A Phantom got to your staff Shu. I don't know what to do about it." Dyne said in desperation. "You'll just have to wait this out."

Tranquil
10-18-07, 12:24 AM
"Dyne, I shall have none of that, that staff is my life!" Shu screamed and reached into the deep inner pockets of his robe and pulled out and ancient looking book. "I'll consult the Book of the Magi." Shu had decided. "In dire need the certain spell should be told for the right occasion." Shu said, hoping beyond a shadow of all doubt that the right spell would here to help him out of this situation.

Shu flipped through numerous blank pages and the expression on his face grew pale; Was his book going to fail him? "Aha! The circle..of Binding?" Shu's voice had changed from triumphant to quizzical all in the same moment. "I..I don't understand. Why would it want the phantom to become one with my staff?" Shu pondered aloud, but he dared not question the Book of the Magi further. he safely tucked away the book and began readied himself.

"Dyne, I want you to know that this is highly advanced magic that I'm about to attempt, and if something should go wrong, just be careful." Shu warned, he face showed the obvious lack of confidence in his ability to preform this spell.

Shu quickly grabbed the Staff which was frozen in place and instantly he could hear the loud banshee like screams of the Phantom tearing through his mind. Fighting through the pain, Shu stabbed the staff into the ground and immediately drew a large circler around the staff with lines that connected in intricate formations. Once he finished he backed away and gave the others the signal to do the same.

"Creature of the Night, I command you by my Light, stay trapped inside my Staff, forever locked from my Sight!" Shu snapped his fingers and the circle lit in a freakish purple flame and snared it's way up the staff. The Phantoms howls could now be heard aloud from outside the staff and Shu only laughed saying, "I think I did it." With a small laugh.

But then the screaming stopped, the purple glowing fire vanished, and everything went silent. Shu's eyes fixated on his staff and as he was about to step forward and retrieve his prize he felt a humongous dark pressure leap from his staff and begin hovering above the ground.

The Phantom had broken the circles seal and was contemplating attacking the small group, though when he sniffed the air he noticed that the red haired boy boasting two mêlée batons was a Psionic and he made his way toward him.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
10-18-07, 03:44 PM
((Well done bro))

Dyne observed the second Wraith break through Shu's weak attempt at a Binding ritual. Dyne had no idea what to do. He had some skilled when it came to dealing with the Phantoms, but he had no way of actually physically combating them. He'd only used that Psionic Arrow once. The Arrow seemed to work against living beings and not other Phantoms. Dyne was at a loss of what to do. He could see the Wraith in its natural state. Darkness gathered in a physical manifestation. It was different from the Phantoms he was used to seeing.

The things' form rippled in the wind like a sentient robe. It had a large hood that covered whatever head it potentially had. Dyne felt terrified at the presence of the thing. It howled in agony from the failed binding attempt until it settled down. Now the thing bore down upon Dyne's person. He had no idea what to do. What can I do? What is there to do? I've never seen anything like this up until that other one I saw earlier. My weapons will be useless against it! Dyne felt another presence in his mind, chilling and cold to the thought.

Surrender to me Alberdyne Cormyr. We have the knowledge of your Ancestors within us. You shall obtain great power if you surrender to us my boy. Come with us and see your Father again. There is no choice but to fall to our power. Dyne felt terrified. Coldness filled the small clearing until a sheen of ice touched the ground beneath him. He felt the life being sucked out of him. All at once, the painful memories of his Mother's betrayal assaulted the youth. He felt the happy emotions being driven out of his heart and tried very hard to think about life with his friend Shu.

With Shu by his side he felt strong. Yet the happy thoughts faded away quickly as the Wraith assaulted him. Dyne felt the blade of his Mother's weapon impact his face all at once and the pain was too great. Dyne was useless to help his companions. Darkness engulfed him as he was touched by the Wraith and then it ran off into the Forest, freed from the power of Shu's staff. Dyne screamed in agony when the Wraith touched him and the Darkness took him to a far away place.

He passed out.

Tranquil
10-20-07, 11:19 PM
Shu's jaw dropped and his body froze in place as he saw his friends being physically tormented by what he knew was the Phantom. He couldn't see it, but he knew it was there. Shu wanted to do something to help Dyne, but his body was locked in place and when he tried to scream words of encouragement were sucked from his mouth into the void of the dark abyss.

It wasn't until Dyne collapsed to the ground that Shu could finally move again, he cast aside all thoughts of his staff and ran to his friends side. "Dyne, are you okay?" He asked in a scared voice. "Kastor, Dyne might need medical attention!" Shu called for the ranger who always seemed to disappear at the most inopportune moments.

"Dyne, you're going to be okay. The Phantom is gone, he ran from you." Shu lied. He didn't know if the Phantom ran from Dyne anymore than if he was still here. All Shu knew is that he could move now and he was focusing on helping his friend.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
10-23-07, 11:36 AM
A void gripped Dyne Corona's heart. The youth swam in an ocean of darkness as his memories consumed him. He dreamed. He dreamed about scary betrayals and the fractured chaos of a life he barely lived. Locked in training the youth barely had a chance to really enjoy life. Now he was granted an opportunity but a forced conflict with between his loyalties to The Syndicate as well as The Corone Rangers woke him up from that false sense of security. As he dreamed he was visited by the ghost of his Father.

Oft he found himself dreaming about his Father in recent moons. Some of his dreams were simply memories, but other times he swore he could sense his Father's presence nearby. Just within the range of a warm embrace and at other times, far away. A Phantom that was gone to him. As each day passed he lost more and more memories of his youth. The days of his childhood were long since past. Dyne had to accept his manhood even as he knew that his greatest challenges lurked ahead.

He was dreaming about his Father again.

"Alberdyne Cormyr. Don't you falter in your lessons. What is the most important thing to a noble?" His Father asked as he remembered his Father's teachings.

"A noble should always use his influence to help others around him. Especially the poor and under classed. They are the ones who need our help the most. Society should not be overlooking the class of poor on Althanas. Instead we should be working to help them at every turn."

"And why do nobles need to help the poor?" His Father asked.

"Because the poor do not have the power to help themselves. They were born into their station in life as we were born onto our own. We are of two different worlds, but our worlds can not function without the other. The Aristocracy is there as an agency of the people and must represent the people at all times."

That was the code that Dyne Corona lived by. The teachings of his Father as a nobleman who was a an unusually kind hearted person. Gallen Cormyr saw what was wrong with the world and was taking measures to prepare for the eventual future that might he come. He saw an age of conflict that yet lay ahead of them all. Gallen did his best to prepare a boy who had no idea of the evils of the world. Gallen did his best to raise a son that might become a hero.

Slowly, the memories faded away as Dyne traveled through the darkness. He found himself falling upwards and swirling through the abyss. His stomach did a funny thing and he was suddenly torn into consciousness. He had a splitting headache as he woke up.

A whole week passed.

"W-What happened?" He groaned in agony. He looked towards his friend Shu's face and momentarily saw the image of his Father. His head felt like it was going to explode.

Tranquil
11-05-07, 11:56 AM
Shu had awoken from his state of tranquil serenity as he heard Dyne speak. It had been a while since his companion had encountered the phantom in his staff, and Shu turned his head ever so slowly to the weapon lying in the grass behind him. Shu still felt the taint of darkness that was left behind from the phantom, and he was weary of touching it. Nothing had happened in the past days that needed the assistance of his weapon which would make him investigate it.

"Dyne, how do you fair?" Shu asked in a slightly monotone voice, completely ignoring his question as if it didn't matter. Even if Shu knew exactly what had gone on between Dyne and the Phantom, Dyne didn't have to be reminded of it right now.

"What you should know is that you were unconscious for a very long period of time. You should eat, then we should consult Kastor about our location. We should be moving." Shu said, offering Dyne a stable hand to get him off the cold, dewy grass.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
11-11-07, 04:11 PM
((Sorry this took so long))

Dyne listened to his friend speaking. Needing a lot of catching up time since his injury, the youth carefully listened to his friend. He noticed that they were alone as the Corone Rangers were busy with various tasks they were attending around the camp site. Things were moving quickly now as the training was beginning to commence.

Dyne had a head-splitting migraine but other than that he felt like he was in good spirits. His hands went to his temples instinctively as if trying to massage his skull. The boy sighed, listening to his companion for a long moment. A week! I've been gone for a whole week! What exactly happened back there?!

The youth thought to himself.

Gathering himself was the next order of things. He blinked several times gathering what sensory information he could. Adjusting his eyesight, the youth saw that he was in a clearing by many trees. Just another clearing like any other in Concordia Forest. There was grass beneath his person that shivered in the wind. He looked up and saw that the sky was blue with a few clouds gathered above the tropical forest. The wind didn't help to calm his anxiousness though. He looked at the trees and identified them as various types of oaks. Some were yew trees and some were others he didn't know how to identify. Critters of all sorts frolicked about the area oblivious to the group of Corone Rangers.

Dyne looked over at Shu for a long moment. His friend had a shadow about him now, something that the Wraith had done to his staff. That's it! I remember now, there was a Wraith attacking Shu's staff and I got involved in it somehow. I can't really remember what happened, its all flashes and broken images like a mirror. Dyne stood up and rubbed some grass and other forest debris off of his person. He shook himself free of Concordia's grip as best as he could preparing himself to face the next phase of his training.

"A week you say huh? Must've been pretty bad." Dyne said casually. "Thanks for looking out for me. Where are the Rangers at? We gotta keep an eye on them after all."

Tranquil
11-11-07, 09:29 PM
It felt as if the weight of Concordia had been lifted off of Shu's shoulders as Dyne stood and seemed to be fine, Shu took a moment to comprehend his words before he spoke.

"I do believe that the Rangers said something about gathering water for our trip from the river near by." Shu said, pointing to the fresh water lake that was gushing downstream nearby.

"The whereabouts of Kastor Troy however are unknown to me. He came to check up on you and deliver some food to me whilst I was guarding you during the timespan, but other than that, I've seen hide nor hair of him." Shu said, a particularly strong gust tearing through the high green grass to send his robes and scarf flying behind him.

"Nature warns us of something looming. I'm not sure what, but even the Rangers seem to be acting ominous, and the disappearance of Kastor is never a good thing." Shu said, a wear look grew into his dull gray eyes. "I say we do our best to ready our things and help with the move." Shu turned with the wind and walked toward his staff.

There, lying amidst the tall green grass was Shu's staff, emitting a soft dark glow. "How could this be, the Phantom was expelled from my staff, the chances of it coming back are highly unlikely." Shu said to himself, bending down so close to the ground that his nose could smell the dirt, wet from the dewy grass.

His stony gray eyes inspected the soft black hue that the staff generated and it definitely was a Dark Magic left behind. "There is no spell that I know to purify this, and I can not function without my staff." Shu said, flexing his gloved right hand, cracking his knuckles in anticipation. "Whatever was left behind by this Phantom was left on purpose." Shu nodded his head in affirmation.

His gloved hand shot quickly for the middle of the staff, expecting shooting pains to explode in his temples again, yet it was almost exactly the opposite. A slight tingle trickled through Shu's entire body as the soft dark black hue began to diminish into his hand from top to bottom of the staff.

Dark, ominous voices chanted words into Shu's mind, though he was in such a relaxed state the words bothered him not as his muscles relaxed and absorbed the small dose of Dark Magic. As the last bits of hue were extinguished, a thin circular black ring appeared around the gray pigment of his eyes. Shu blinked and clenched his staff tightly at his staff before he stood again and called to Dyne.

"Hurry, we're running out of time."

Alberdyne_Cormyr
11-17-07, 04:25 PM
((Sorry this post took so long))

Dyne listened carefully to his friend. Flexing his muscles, the youth stretched a bit before making sure that he'd gathered all of his personal things. Dyne remembered Shu saying something about food from Kastor. First order of business. He had a serious appetite and decided it would be best to eat while preparing for whatever was the next task that the Rangers had for the duo. He felt as though they were being looped in one direction and danced through another.

The youth gathered his belongings which were all nearby to his person. He strangely felt extremely refreshed as if he'd been sleeping for a very long time indeed. Dyne finished gathering himself and investigated the environment around him. They were still nearby the scorched tree. He recalled what happened when he'd tried to touch the tree the last time. And so, he decided that he'd better leave such matters to the experts.

Dyne looked at the tree for a long moment and then returned his gaze to Shu's person. Dyne noticed that Shu seemed somehow darker than before, there was a taint to the Magus' eyes. The boy felt responsible for his companion because he was the Spirit Medium in the group. Somehow, this was all his fault. I can't believe that this is happening. Shu doesn't deserve to deal with any of this crazy Phantom stuff. It's my burden alone to deal with.

Or so Dyne felt. The young member of the House of Sora felt that what they should take care of at the moment was food. "How about this food? Let's eat before we head out. I'm pretty damned hungry." The youth said eager to regain his strength and be in top physical form once more.

Kastor Troy scouted several yards away from the group. It was as he feared, they were being tailed. Dyne must be a lot hotter than I thought he was. The Syndicate is after him now. I gotta be extra careful with my men if we are to survive what is coming. One of the Rangers detached themselves from the surrounding wilderness and approached Kastor.

"Sir."

"What is it Alious?" Troy asked.

"He's awakened. They are preparing themselves from what the field reports say." The Ranger said calmly.

"Good, let's be on our way then, we've lingered too long in this blasted sector waiting for them to awaken. I fear it may already be too late."

The group of strangers moved quickly through Concordia Forest. Their mole within the group of Corone Rangers lead by Kastor Troy was giving them information periodically and on time. The group of Agents was able to track down their target with little to burden them. Four manned the quartet as they made their way through the wild. Spotting the target, the four Agents descended upon the Shu and Dyne...

Dyne felt the hunger in his system. His stomach growled audibly as a result of the recent ordeal he'd gone through. It seemed to Dyne that he had a lot of bad luck in recent times. He wondered if he was cursed. The boy took some food out of his travel packs that he'd preserved for just such an excursion through the wild, he ate some of the beef jerkies. He craved for a solid meal though. Suddenly, a tremendous sense of danger filled the youth's heart as something stirred in the trees. A single streak of light flashed forward as an arrow was launched at their position from out of nowhere.

"Look out!" Dyne yelled.

He moved quickly towards Shu in an attempt to push him out of the way of the arrrow...

Tranquil
11-24-07, 07:41 PM
It all happened so fast, it was incredible, and Shu was almost awestruck. Shu had heard the sound of the arrow whizzing through the air even before Dyne had thrown him to the side. Shu rolled through the wet grass and regained his balance and watched as the arrow lodged itself into the ground.

"Dyne, thank you." Shu said as he ran to take cover at a near by rock. "My fire spells are useless if he's hiding in a tree!" Shu hissed angrily toward Dyne as he motioned for him to follow. "We must bring them down into the clearing if we are to have a fair fight." Shu warned, the dark rings around his eyes pulsating ever so lightly.

With his body pressed hard against the rock that served as a giant shield, protecting him from any incoming arrows, Shu peered quickly from his vantage point. "I've no sight of him, nows you're chance Dyne!" Shu called, ducking back again behind his protection.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
11-25-07, 04:17 PM
Seeing into the truth of the matter, Dyne called upon his inner danger sense to try to pin point the general direction of the enemy. His eyes were closed as more arrows flew from the cover of the trees at their general direction. The Corone Ranger hadn't returned from their journey into the forest. Dyne felt a general sense of danger coming from a position to the North of him, near a certain set of trees. Dyne observed the position from his hiding place nearby to Shu's person.

Rocks served as a good form of shielding. An arrow whistled through the air and jutted itself into the rock before Dyne. I've been spotted! Damn! He thought to himself as he laid on the ground. His powers were useless when the enemy was that far away. He suddenly thought of a dangerous idea. Turning his gaze towards Shu, he decided upon the next course of action.

"Shu! I'll draw their fire. You pin point their position and take them out. We won't get anywhere if none of us take action."

His training with the Rangers made Corona fearless. He sucked his fear to the deeper portion of his gut even as another arrow hit the rock, this one much closer to him than the first. Hiding in the shrubbery, the youth suddenly bolted into the field before them. A few yards were between himself and the position of the hiding enemy.

Dyne kept himself low to the ground and ran in zig-zagging patterns. Arrows struck the ground nearby to his position. He hoped that Shu caught on to the plan and would be attempting to send some of his fire spells over to the position of the hidden enemy. Dyne quickly covered the ground and drew his sword as he ran forward. His eyes focused upon the general sense of danger he'd felt earlier. He was beginning to like the True Sight more and more, it was a great blessing of the Thaynes.

Tranquil
11-25-07, 08:30 PM
Shu only nodded as Dyne called out his plan, images of the onslaught of what was to come flooded Shu's mind as arrows plinked into the stone one after another. "Why does these Rangers always disappear when we need them most? I'm starting to doubt their loyalty!" Shu screamed and his black rings pulsated in his eyes. "Dyne, be careful!" Shu warned as as he saw Dyne dodging the arrows. "Freeze." Shu chanted and three solid ice shards began moving in orbit around Dyne's body, acting like a giant shield. "Good luck Dyne." Shu murmured as he jumped out from behind his rock and chased after his friend.

Arrows were whizzing past Shu's head, near clipping the Magus' body each time he ducked left and right. Shu followed Dyne quickly right great speed, and it only took his tainted eyes a few seconds to catch where the arrows were coming from.

Shu dodged his way toward the tree in which the archers were hiding in, and chanted, "Incendious!" and Shu's staff lit aflame in an ominous black and red glow. He stabbed the core of the tree and watched the flame climb up the tree, only to be throw back wards as an arrow pierced the end of his fluttering scarf and pinned him to the ground. Shu quickly rocked out of the way and began carving a simple drawing in the ground.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
11-26-07, 02:04 PM
Running low, Dyne felt the wind suddenly picking up. This was a great blessing for the youth as he alternated his general direction every few paces he covered in his mad sprint. I am running INTO a sniper's line of sight. I wonder if this is more brave or foolhardy on my part? Dyne covered the yards in between his former hiding place and the start of the trees with some considerable effort on his part. He managed to avoid the arrows. They were shot every few seconds, giving the boy an ample window of time to evade them.

He remembered his last mission with Shu. He'd gotten his hands stained with blood, something that the pacifist wanted to avoid at all costs. He'd also been forced to get his friend's hands dirty as well. This was no good. He didn't like the way that things were going. Shrubbery and grass were almost shoulder high for the youth as he ran through it. There were grass blades of many colors. Dyne was familiar with some of these grass types but hadn't yet learned any special properties of them. Thinking on that he continued his run whilst his mind was occupied.

Soon, the trees were before him. In this area of the field, Dyne could see much more clearly and was met with something that he had not quite expected at all. A large group of armed men suddenly emerged from the tall shrubbery and grass. They had various implements of death. The world slowed down as he counted at least thirty of them. He recognized the black outfits that these men wore, they were Syndicate Agents. The past has finally caught up to him.

His hand went to his sword, but he accepted the truth. There were way too many of them for him to take alone. He was lost. He grabbed the hilt of his weapon as the world slowed down. Thinking about his pitiful life so far, the young Corone Ranger felt utterly alone. He did the only thing he could think of.

"Shu! Now!" He cried out as loudly as he could hoping that they weren't too late. Suddenly, a sniper let loose with an arrow and Dyne had lost his maneuverability at such a close range to the arrows. He heard a whistle flow through the air and felt a heavy impact against his left shoulder. Dyne dropped his sword. A single Agent moved forward, obviously the leader of the group.

"Ottocar sends his regards Dyne Corona." The man said. The last thing Dyne recalled was a fist going his way before he felt a large impact against the side of his skull.

Darkness fell in...

Kastor Troy felt the danger almost as soon it had arrived. He'd gathered his Rangers and moved quickly through the Forest back to Shu's position. What he saw shocked him. His sharp eyes spotted many Agents of the Syndicate surrounding Dyne Corona in the distance. Blast that fool! Kastor heard Dyne cry out Shu's name as he'd arrived. The warrior prepared his longbow and took careful aim into the group of Syndicate Agents.

"Shu! They want Dyne alive. We gotta prevent his capture at all costs."

Several Corone Rangers appeared with their longbows ready. The small group of men launched arrows into the enemy's ranks.

Tranquil
11-26-07, 03:19 PM
Shu watched helplessly as his friend was pierced by an arrow then overpowered by the large man. A shriek of sheer rage emitted from Shu's mouth that was enough to shatter any ear drum. His ice shield had failed to protect his companion, and now he was paying the ultimate price. Shu would not fail again. The words of Kastor Troy sunk into Shu's numb body as he finished the last part of his sketch and murmured his incantation, "Incendious!" As he placed his burning palm over the picture, a protective shell of fire weaved it's way over Dyne's body.

"Failure is not an option at this moment.." Shu's voice was full of hatred and anger as he stood, his scarf ripping at the bottom, a small part still fluttering as if was pinned in the damp earth. "The consequences for what you have done are set in stone, and you repentance is death." The strange voice coming from Shu's voice was surely not his own, but his was highly in tune with his senses. He could hear every single arrow that was shot from the Corone Rangers, and he even noticed the difference of the arrow which was fired from the archer that had struck Dyne; his arrow was disintegrated with and Incendious spell.

Shu's eyes were heavily darkened, and his movements were quickened to twice his normal speed. He dashed his way to his fallen comrade, protected by his circle of flame, where arrows of the rangers were beating into the Syndicate members. Shu was on edge, his heart racing and sweat dripping down his brow. The odds were against him but he wasn't going to fail.

"You," Shu pointed to the over-sized meat head that had blindsided Dyne, "care to partake in a fair fight with one who isn't already injured?" Shu taunted, hoping that his luck would hold out until the Corone Rangers would pull their act together. Shu kept narrowly dodging arrows left and right, his mind half wondering which arrows had his name on it.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
11-27-07, 12:23 PM
Kastor moved quickly towards Dynes' position but kept within firing range. The storm of arrows were quickly taking Agents of the Syndicate down. A few were caught off guard. Kastor shot a glance towards his men giving them a series of hand signals meant to be further commands. They understood his meaning and continue to move through the blades of grass, jutting up through the ground like a series of swords. Kastor kept himself low to the ground as he saw Shu suddenly run off with a tremendous burst of speed.

Blasted Magi. Kastor thought to himself. There were well over thirty men in the immediate vicinity, but Kastor's gut instinct told him that there were many more. He had plenty of arrow quivers at his disposal and was eager to use them all. Loading his weapon, he took his time to get a proper shot off and provide the right type of support for Shu. All of his men were taking their time with trained shots. It was a technique that they were going to teach Dyne at some point, how to properly shoot a bow and arrow.

The training was intensive and required a large amount of concentration for the act. Kastor let his arrow fly and reloaded the weapon quickly. His skilled hands moving with vast dexterity. He loaded his weapon anew, took careful aim, and let loose with another arrow. Each of his arrows struck a target, even if the damage was none-lethal. Their snipers weren't so patient and were simply launching arrows at a whim like if they were water.

The Corone Rangers had already taken down five of the men at this rate, they stood a chance against superior numbers...

"This turned into a bloody ambush! Regroup men!"

Yelled the leader of the Agents as the Corone Rangers attacked. Suddenly, a burst of archaic wizard's fire erupted from out of nowhere at all. The man was licked by the flames, which in turn, wrapped themselves around his arm. Many bursts of fire erupted from Shu's Incendious spell. Several men went down with the flame. The next warrior in the chain of command, immediately took over for the leader.

"That's it, MEN!" He said suddenly and a disaster came upon them. Another group of fully armed men showed up from behind the group of Agents. A group of roughly ten more heads. They seemed determined to reacquire Dyne Corona at all costs. Several nearby Agents engaged Shu in combat.

((Feel free to do the battle however you want bro))

Tranquil
11-27-07, 03:57 PM
Shu sighed in relief that Kastor had finally given him the back up that he had so desperately needed, but with the Syndicates newly acquired troops, Shu would need a miracle to pull off a victory in this battle.

Shu's eyes were now pulsating fully black, and he looked down at his companion, completely covered in a protective flame that burnt anything and everything around him. Arrows were scorched the moment it came near, even bugs that came for a rest were singed. Shu cast an angry glare at the leader who had taken the man's spot, and spat on the ground.

Quick paced steps had now turned to sluggish movements, and easily dodged arrows had now easily caught Shu in the side, though evaporated into a thick plume of black smoke, leaving only the bleeding wound as he walked ever so much closer to the group, leaving a trail of blood.

"Syndicate scum, you turn on one of your own, you shall feat upon the fires of Hell! Hysteria!" Shu called dug deep into the last bits of his Magical energy as he stabbed the Flynt edge of his staff into the ground and watched as spirals of shadow and flame made their way into what was one lush grass at his feet.

The grass beneath him turned black and smelt of death, a large ominous cloud appeared above Shu and the fighters as arrows from both the Rangers and the Sniper continued to fly. Shu's body quivered as the cloud began to rumble with power and glow an ominous red. As a booming thunder clap struck, it began. The cloud opened up and large meteor-like fireballs cascaded from the cloud. Shu could only hold himself back from laughing as the fighters ran around in sheer panic, screaming that they were going to die, it was the 'end of the world' they said.

The Syndicate members didn't seem to realize that this attack was all an illusion, if they would take the time to realize that they were not burning, the ground beneath them hadn't been broken by any Meteors, and they were in fact not going to die. Yet they insisted on taking their own lives instead to burning to death. It was a bloody mess of self-sacrificing, and only one man saw through the ploy...The man who replaced the fallen leader.

As Shu withdrew his staff from the ground and watched the cloud vanish, the man charged him. Shu was hit by another arrows and cringed, throwing his staff out like a spear, and the foolish man rammed his stomached right into the Flynt. Shu the collapsed on the battlefield, his eyes back to a stone gray, breathing heavily.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
11-28-07, 01:57 PM
"Where's Eric?" Cried one of the Syndicate Agents as they ran with their tails between their legs. The sudden appearance of the storm-cloud had injected the group with self doubt as they went to extreme measures to avoid the meteors that fell to the Althanas soil. Many panicked and took their own lives in preference to the scorching hell that the meteors might represent. In all, only three men survived the battle with Shu and Dyne Corona. They ran forward preparing their excuses for Ottocar as they ran. They finally decided that they'd encountered an army of fully trained Battle Magi...

Bravely or foolishly, the single Agent understood that the magicks now called forth were all but Illusion. Clever Illusions, but Illusions nonetheless. The man grinned even as blood poured out of his pierced stomach and he fell to the floor looking Shu in the eyes. "You're a fool, Magus. They'll be back for him. And in greater numbers. Your allegiance with the Corone Rangers will matter very little. Your friend was wrong to betray the Syndicate. He will pay a heavy price." The man said and stood up, preparing to walk himself into the woods to die alone.

"NO! It is YOU who will pay the price!" Kastor suddenly yelled as he shot another of his arrows right to the back of the Agent's head. The arrow impacted hard, and the tip of the bolt exploded through the front of the man's face, ripping it apart. The Agent fell forward on his front side, dead. Scavengers of the forest immediately went to work on the free meal. The Corone Ranger known as Kastor Troy walked over to Dyne Corona but stayed back since the fire shield was still up. Several Rangers were behind him committing mercy kills as they picked off the few remaining Agents.

"Shu turn off his fire shield." The man said calmly. "Tend to Shu's wounds I'm going to scout ahead. See if Dyne is injured at all." He turned to look at Shu. "We look out for our own. Well done, Ranger." The man said to Shu with a lop-sided grin and then moved off into the wilderness, vanishing into the trees...

Tranquil
11-28-07, 07:29 PM
Shu took Kastor's compliment half heartedly considering the mental state he was in. Shu breathed deep, the smell of fresh green grass filling his lung gasping desperately for air. The view of the area had changed back to a bright day, and Shu's hand feebly outstretched toward Dyne's limp body.

The effects of his finally attacks and the rapidity of the sniper's arrows finally were taking their full toll. Shu's hand shook as he reached for more than just his friend, yet for what was beyond his friend. "We'll done, Ranger." Shu recalled the words, and clenched his fist, and the small picture that was diagrammed in dirt lost it's glowing brilliance, and with that, the protective fire shield dropped immediately.

"I..I did it." Shu said as his hand fell back to the dirt, his gray eyes watching the dust particles being carried off by the wind. Blood seeped from his sides with every deep breath he took, and the last image he saw was the last licks of protective flame uncovering his friend before his eyes shut. "The flame burns at both ends." Shu whispered quietly as he passed into the dark oblivion of unconsciousness.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
11-30-07, 03:00 PM
A warm cocoon surrounded the youth as his friend focused upon the protection of Alberdyne Cormyr. Winged creatures flowed across the air, dancing with the wind as they moved from tree to tree snatching up their prey. Some of them feasted in mid-air. Dyne was a part of the dance of the forest somehow. He stirred as the ebb and flow of the predatory dance stirred. Feeling the will power to wake up from his forced slumber, the youth sat up and saw that his friend was laying in the grass next to him.

Soft and wet with blood, the grass was crushed by their bodies where they laid upon it. Dyne felt pain where the arrow still jutted from his side. He knew it would have to be removed. He also felt pain at the side of his skull where the Agent had struck him something fierce. Dyne placed a hand to the arrow and groaned in agony. He felt the pain almost as soon as he tried to move it for it was stuck deep in his side. Dyne felt pain as he tried to move his side and was forced to lay back down on the soft grass. Blood flowed freely from the serious injury.

Hearing boot falls coming close by, Dyne looked up in the general direction of the sound. His neck strained as he turned it towards the direction of the incoming strangers. Vaguely, he made out the forms of several Corone Rangers approaching both Dyne and Shu to treat injuries. One of them moved towards Shu's unconscious form and made the attempt to begin working on him. The other immediately moved towards the fallen form of Dyne Corona.

With an arrow jutting from his person, the youth was badly injured. He kept staring up at the brilliant sky wondering how he was alive. Staring off to the side, he saw the ghosts of the fallen Agents moving towards the Anti-Firmanent. I should be dead. Why am I not dead? What is wrong with me? Dyne looked down and felt that his injury was beginning to heal itself for some supernatural reason he could not yet understand. A man reached for the arrow and placed a hand upon Dyne's flat stomach.

"Argh!" The youth groaned in agony as the arrow as pulled out from within him. Dyne looked at his bleeding side and saw that the injury was already healing upon itself. Seeing the injury close by itself, the boy sighed and passed out, unsure what to make of it. The Ranger standing by Dyne looked upon former position of the injury and then over to his fellow's injury. There was a look of worry upon his face.

Running through the Concordia Forest the three Agents made their way out of the maze of oak trees. Crushing grass and shrubbery as they went, the warriors kept looking back at the site of the battle. Their hysterical minds had fallen victim to Shu's sudden Illusionary Magic and it had worked far better than the Magus could ever hope for. In their mind's eyes, they saw the forest burning and smelled oak cooking.

"W-we lost them." One of the Agents said. "Yeah. H-how many Battle Magi do you think we should report back to Ottocar?" The other Agents shook their head. "I have no clue." The first man said. One of them kept quiet the entire time as he breathed heavily for air. "Guys, look its Dark." They all turned their attention to the single form of the Agent known only as Dark. He was one of the Syndicate's finest Assassins.

Dark had a black cloak made of specially tailored Vlince. His hood was up and it completely covered his head. A cold breeze, hinting of the Salvar, touched the area. "Why are you back at the rendezvous point? What happened?" Came the deep voice of the Agent. His hands were clenched.

"The forest, it burns!" One of the wide-eyed Agents said. Madness in his voice.

"You FOOLS. It's Illusion Magic! You've left your fellows completely alone back there to be slaughtered. Is this the type of outcome you want to report back to Ottocar? Have you seriously thought about what would happen to you if you reported failure?" Dark said. Annoyance in his voice. "Tell me immediately what happened. Or I will kill you myself."

"All right Sir." Spoke the leading officer of the Agents. "See what happened was..."

Sometime later, two of the Agents were dead. "The Corone Rangers interfered on Cormyr's behalf. This matter is more serious than I thought." The sword injuries of the fallen Agents were lethally struck injuries that instantly felled the warriors in battle. Dark now stood with an elegant sword in his hand made of a strange material. Damascus. The warrior's weapon had blood dripping down the blade as he sheathed it by willing the weapon away. "I have kept you alive for a reason Agent. You are the only one who didn't fall for the Wizard's Illusion Magic. I know there was only one. I can feel his power. They didn't even have to tell me that the cowards. So we've suffered mass casualties, very well then." Dark looked upon the surviving Agents. "Gather your wits man, we're going back. We're going to end this. I refuse to report failure back to the Syndicate. If its a war that the Corone Rangers want, its a War that they'll have."

To be continued...

***Spoils Request***

Regeneration @ level 0-Unlocked at the point of facing death once again, Dyne Corona has discovered his nature as an Immortal. He can regenerate small to non-lethal wounds with some degree of speed. The regeneration prevents him from dying in conventional ways. He can heal from most wounds over time. He cannot use this ability in battle so far, but can heal whatever injuries he receives in a battle AFTER the fact. The ability is Passive. The more serious the injury, the longer it takes to heal. Multiple injuries can take many months to heal. Smaller cuts, bruises, and scrapes take only a few moments to heal. At this point in the game, he cannot recover lost limbs in this fashion. At least not yet, but at some point in the future he may be to.

Member of the Corone Rangers-After proving his worth, Dyne is now a member of the Corone Rangers, officially. He has betrayed the Syndicate and is thusly now a marked man. The Syndicate will continue to send Agents after Dyne's head.

Tranquil
11-30-07, 05:08 PM
As the darkness of the world spiraled downwards behind Shu's closed eyes, images of the past haunted his mind as an eerie voice wailed quietly.

"Shu, embrace the darkness, you will not regret the choice if you choose to make it."

Shu struggled with the inner voice as a strong wave of calm seemed to flow over him, his pain seemed to be subsiding, but his unconscious mind couldn't put two and two together to realize that the Corone Rangers were tending to his wounds.

"Shu, never forget this day, this offer is yours to throw away..." The voice faded back into the ominous darkness, and somewhere deep within the confines of a mind that lay still, a heavy burden lay for Shu when he comes to.

-------Spoils Request-------

Illusion Magic (Available at Level 1) - Conforming to the power of darkness, Shu has the ability to create illusions that will foll with the minds of others. Due to the amount of darkness in his body, the illusions can easily be detected.

Corone Ranger - Due to Shu's willingness to risk his life to protect his companion Dyne and fend off the Syndicate Agents, he earned the trust of Kastor Troy and the rank of a Corone Ranger.

Mathias
12-05-07, 03:00 PM
Quest Name

As my comments below will note, this thread needed a great deal of revision. Aside from the actual time it took to craft the story and execute it, you should've spent it on editing and checking and repairing what was there. Through the numerous and glaring mistakes I've seen, I've noted areas that'll need improvement. However, I'll only quote and point out examples within your first several posts, so as to conserve some time, as well as not go overboard on my criticisms.

STORY 17

Continuity ~ 6/10 I don't have anything to comment on here, particularly.

Setting ~ 6/10 The story varied on where it was placed, and I felt the world around me. I will, however, say that it could've used some more description, a little bit more breathing and living and blood to it. Also, I can't help but question your logic at times, for I can't fathom trees that are miles high.

Pacing ~ 5/10 This thread is a testament to the failure of quantity. Many of the posts could've been merged, the story set upon faster. The length of this thread was simply tedious; The pace was too slow to fit the story itself, and from that, you suffered. Outlining your posts and the progression of the story helps, a lot. I've only recently started doing it myself, rather than flowing freely and letting the events that were in my head occur as I write them; Working towards a specific point and goal helps in keeping things brief, but interesting, and descriptive, but paced.

CHARACTER 12

Dialogue ~ 4/10 Your dialogue, as much of it as there was, was strung together from many clichés and had a good woft of cheese about it. It was like a movie you hadn't watched, but could guess every other word that was being said, a moment before they'd say it.

Action ~ 3/10 Between your posts, the action of the battles were chopped up, less fluid and coordinated than they could've been. I also find it hard to believe that a squad of veteran, well-trained Rangers would set fire to an entire field. It seems almost completely out of context for a woodsman to destroy that which he protects. I'm also hard-pressed to believe that Dyne would have had the mobility that he did while inside the Koolma, as its dimensions were not enough to house him in the manner that was described, or hold his breath for "several," minutes. Also, I can't fathom that the moment a corpse drops, all of Concordia's scavengers woke up and went after it. Too much of it was far-fetched, beyond fantasy, and inexplicable despite that fact.

Persona ~ 5/10 Your characters are going to need some work. Shu, especially, as this thread was mostly about Dyne's characterization. I understood little about him, his dependancy and fierce loyalty to his friend, the reasons he had for it all, or much else. At times, you should have focused on your own character, rather than the progression of the thread itself.

WRITING STYLE 12

Technique ~ 4/10 Something that I noticed was you repeated yourselves in many cases, such as

Shu slowly walked to the hospital door and put his ear close to the door

These instances really stand out; there's little variation in your vocabulary. Similarly, you should also try to find different instances of referring to your character, rather than "Dyne, Dyne, Dyne," or "Shu, Shu Shu," every other sentence. Using a lot of "he"s is better than proper nouns, in my opinion. As well, I also noticed, Pavel, that it you could use some work in the order of your descriptions.

"You have done well my Apprentice." Said the Prophet dressed in his typical robes.

I read that, and thought to myself, "How does his typical robes relate to him saying that?" It seemed illogical and poorly placed.

Following Kastor, the youth wore his typical all black outfit, with a Vlince cloak flowing behind him as he walked.

I hope you see what I mean, where it seems odd to have inserted description there. It doesn't describe the actual act of following Kastor. Had you described the outfit itself earlier, it would've been aesthetically better to have just put, "Following Kastor, the youth's vlince cloak flowed behind him as he walked." You'd be better served by blocking your descriptions, rather than lacing them throughout in often incomprehensible manners.

Mechanics ~ 3/10 Both of your posts were riddled with grammatical, spelling, capitalization, and other such errors. I'd suggest you heavily proofread your posts and make sure you read them carefully. There were many examples of redundancy and extreme repitition; Perhaps a thesaurus may help you string together your sentences with less trouble. For Pavel, this was the most particular instance I found:

He studied the ways of the Rangers from fellows within Underwood that assisted the youth in becoming a a Corone Ranger.

Now as a man, he recruited new potentials to become Corone Rangers. His latest two finds were a unruly pair but they were short on help. They were short on volunteers. The Corone Rangers needed members if they were going to enforce the Republic of the Corone Rangers.

In just two paragraphs, you used Rangers five times. Try using synonyms and descriptive references to the rangers themselves, instead of the actual term. It becomes less repetitive and more poetic, that way.

Clarity ~ 5/10 For the general part, I understood everything, but there were plenty of instances where I had to reread to make sure I knew what was happening. In an instance like this,

"Fair enough Alberdyne. But remember one thing. Your Father wasn't who you thought he was. We have information at our disposal we can give you when you're ready to hear it." Dyne heard Kastor say. Dyne looked away from the man's haunting gaze. "Keep your information for now. I don't want to hear anything." Dyne said and he knew he was acting like a spoiled brat when he said that. Despite that he wanted desperately to protect the image of his Father. "Lets get this training started then." Dyne concluded.

Generally, you split the paragraph when a different character speaks. It's easier to assume that one paragraph has one character talking and, having been taught and followed that assumption, I had to read it again to see the actual division between the dialogue.

MISCELLANEOUS 5

Wild Card ~ 5/10 I feel that this thread could have been MUCH better had you taken the time to revise what you'd written and plan it a bit more carefully. You'll both need the patience to proof-read and rewrite and edit your posts, because you've had an almost unforgiveable amount of errors, in all sorts of ways, that could've easily been repaired by a look-over. However, you both have a grasp on writing, what it is about, and how it is to do it. I feel that both of you, given more time and more attention to detail, will be able to write stories with the complexity and thought of this one, but with much more powerful deliverance and execution.

TOTAL ~ 46/100

EXP Rewards
Alberdyne Cormyr receives 1440 Experience Points!

Tranquil receives 720 Experience Points!

GP Rewards
Alberdyne Cormyr receives 360 GP!

Tranquil receives 360 GP!

Other Rewards
Alberdyne receives the membership of the Corone Rangers, as well as his ability to regenerate. However, it will have to go through re-approval upon his next level up, and will be subject to the moderator's judgement. Also, as a revision, it will take minutes to hours for small cuts and bruises to heal over, rather than mere moments.

Shu also receives the membership of the Corone Rangers, as well as his new style of magic that will go into full effect upon his level one update, and will be subject to review and the judgement of the approval moderator.

Both of them receive a black-and-white photograph, showing them with the other rangers, of their unit, posing. Dyne and Shu are next to one another, giving eachother bunny ears. On the back it says, "Comrades and Friends are the same thing."

Karuka
12-05-07, 07:23 PM
EXP/GP added! Both of you level up!