PDA

View Full Version : Rebellion in the Countryside

Makira
04-30-06, 02:56 AM
Shadows fell upon the lone figure walking the street, hiding its identity from the rest of the world. A cloak billowed around the silent form, the hood drawn up where the being’s face was indiscernible. The only thing that was reported to be extremely weird about the being was the giant pair of bat-like wings, with three separate shades of blue on them, being shown from beneath the cloak as it billowed. Why this was odd was beyond the thoughts of most, but to one being looking out the window, it was a sign that he had been waiting for.

Almost immediately he was on his way back to his home, known as the Retreat of the Silent to those of the secret Guild of Thieves started by the Nightmare Thief, Maera Makia. The man’s name was Serien, and though he was old for a human, he was also one of the few people left that understood the true purpose of the Silent Hand, as the Guild of Thieves was called all around Althanas. Serien understood the importance of this demonic figure appearing in the middle of the city of Kressin… He understood it much more than many others would. He knew that this signaled the start of something new, a new breath for the Silent Hand. A new power for the guild, as it currently existed. For if his hunch was correct, then Makira and Maera would once again be holding the reins of the guild, and things could go back to the booming business they had in Corone before they had both disappeared.

One Week Later…

Makira walked alone through the woods, her hair plastered to her head with the sweat of having been working toward her goal for many days. She was on a journey to find and return Maera back to the throne she had once ruled from with such great dignity. A bird chirped in the distance, filling the air with a sweet myriad of music that would lift the souls of even the most wretched being. Makira swore loudly as she tripped over a fallen log. “That’s what you get for being inattentive, Makira…” said a voice from behind her. Without a second though, Makira had her whip out and ready, prepared to strangle anyone foolish enough to make an attempt on her life. What she saw surprised her, and not in a good way.

Behind her stood one of her more infamous contemporaries, the great master of illusion, as he called himself, Yurai. Makira had a distaste for him beyond anything that she had ever encountered in her life, but she was able to put up with him, barely. “What do you want, Yurai? I’m busy-” she said, before Yurai finished, saying, “Searching for our lost leader. We know the story, Makira. You’ve told every one of us who ever found you and asked you to return to the Guild as one of our highest earning members.” Yurai brushed a strand of hair out of his eyes, taking Makira’s current disheveled form in.

Yurai’s platinum blonde hair got in his eyes way too much of the time for him to be anything more than a medium earning cutpurse, and Makira had disdained him from the beginning because of his unwillingness to cut his hair, even the bangs. He claimed they were the source from which he drew his magical energy. Makira called it bull, and said he had a phobia of sharp objects that were anywhere near cutting a vital point of his body.

Makira frowned, her eyes showing that she was anything but pleased at his remark. The arrogant little bastard was going to pay for being this way when Maera returned, and Makira was going to ensure that. She then sighed and said, “Well, Yurai, what is the latest Maera sighting, as I am sure you were sent to report on that.” Makira flicked her whip carelessly as she continued to drill him for answers.

Yurai smiled and drew from his pouch a small parchment, sealed by Serien’s own hand. “This, I think, you will find most interesting.” he said, his blue eyes glinting brightly in the afternoon sun. Makira took the parchment, then saying, “So that is where you got the new wardrobe? I knew that someone would have had to pay you quite a sum to be dressed in Vlince.” Indeed, Yurai was dressed in the most fashionable deep violet Vlince clothing, which added to his almost dastardly charm. Makira despised him for this charm. If he applied himself a little more, he could be conning rich women out of their coin, but he was too lazy to even think about it.

Makira read the message from Serien with little ado, her eyes fluttering swiftly over the parchment as she read his quick and precise handwriting and storytelling.

Makira,
I believe that this time, we have a veritable Maera sighting on our hands this time. I saw her outside the town of Kressin earlier. It would be about two weeks prior to when you will receive this letter. Yurai will deliver it, and should he not, he knows the consequences. Anyway, make haste to this town at once. We are not only beginning a large project there, that will require your supervision, we are also sure that Maera is here.

With all due respect,
Serien

Makira cursed in spite of herself and look at Yurai before turning due south, where she would be flying the entire trip to Kressin, stopping only to recuperate her strength as she flew there. She only wondered at what would be happening next on the list of things that she would be doing on her search for the Nightmare Thief. She didn’t even spare a though for the screaming Yurai down on the ground behind her as she took off and began the flight to Kressin.

When she finally made it, a couple of hours later, she walked directly into Serien’s office. Serien, his big, muscular face grinning for the first time in years, said, “We are going to pull off a rebellion in this town. More info will come as the ones we hired come in, so that we can free it from the would-be tyrant who is exerting his will here. Some of Corone’s nobility, even though he is less than a knight in true ranking, just deserve this kind of treatment. We may then be able to institute our own people and run the town in a better, more fair light than before. Once we have control here, the rest of the surrounding towns will fall like dominoes. This is the largest town for thirty kilometers. We control it, we control a lot that will happen around here. All we need is some brains and muscle in order to take over for enough time for the populace to realize that they are no longer under his dictatorship.”

Makira inclined her head slightly at Serien, her eyes flashing dangerously. Serien saw this and continued hurriedly, “Maera has been confirmed as having been here, though is thought to have been imprisoned by the man who was given the fief of land on which a town now stands.” Makira’s eyes flashed angrily now, but she controlled herself and allowed Serien to continue. “This is the main reason we want to topple this idiot here and now. With a few more people, we should be able to take out his fighters without problem and liberate this town. The spoils will not be small. We will pay seven hundred gold to each person, yourself included, for helping our little escapade here. Any weapons found are free to be taken as well.” Serien smiled as Makira nodded, and they awaited the others who were supposed to come.

Silence Sei
04-30-06, 02:38 PM
Of course he had heard of the Silent Hand, though he had no details other than that they were a group of theives. All of Corone was not the area he had been known to protect, for he could not be everywhere at once. It struck him as odd that a gang of bandits would send him a letter requesting his assistance in, of all things, a rebellion, but these people were not stupid. To send a letter to 'Silence' Sei Orlouge, 'Hero of Radasanth', your cause had to have been at least slightly noble, otherwise one would not even bother writing him.

It did not take him long to reach the office of the man who sent the letter, the one called 'Serien'. However, upon seeing a child, the two men guarding the door to Serien's office stopped him. "Hold on there," one of them said, "this is no place for children." The child simply smiled as if not understanding him when the second one grabbed the boy by the shoulder. "Didn't you hear him?" the second guard asked, a more agressive tone in his voice, "He said get out!"

The child sighed and grabbed the man's fingers, squeezing them a little bit until he heard a slight crushing sound. Both of the guard's eyes widened as this boy crushed two of the man's fingers. The child then threw the arm off of him as if it were nothing, practically slamming the guard into the wall as he did so. The first guard, be it in intimidation or shock, did not oppose the child as he grabbed the doorknob and opened the door into the office, coming in around the middle of Serien's conversation with another.

"Your 'brains' has arrived," a voice inside both people's heads rang out, "I know I'm not what you expected when you invited the intellect of Sei Orlouge. However, I have faced a few....tribulations, let's call them. I assure you that my military might is still as strong as ever, despite what your eyes may think. If you need me to prove myself to you, you can ask your bodyguard outside. I assume that one of you is Mr. Serien. If that is indeed the case, I suggest that we formulate a plan to get the support of the people immediately, if you don't mind." Sei was straight to the point in the request.

"However, I warn you, Mr. Serien, if I am being decieved into supporting a bunch of theives with no good intentions, I will come back for you. Do I make myself clear?"

Seether
04-30-06, 03:06 PM
Reann didn't know who or what the Slient Hand were, but when they had first put out the call for mercenaries to help them with a rebellion, Reann had signed up anyway. He really didn't have a reason, he could care less about rebellions of the 'pure' folk, or humans, other than that reward looked rather tantelizing to someone who had pocket lint for money. He signed, they sent him a letter with rather drap and boring instructions and he quickly found himself staring down into a rather large town, posied on the tip of a large boulder, himself still wonderin what he was really doing here.

Money goes a long way these days. The thought made him smile and he hopped down from the boulder to land in the soft grass below him with a silent thud. He rose to his feet and began walking towards the town; it wouldn't seem quite proper to run through the streets like a crazed dog, and he hoped that his show of walking at least led the townsfolk to believe that he wasn't there to harm them.

Aside from instructions on how to get to the town, the letter only went on to say that he was to speak to someone named 'Serien.' Then the letter ended abruptly with no signiture or seal of any kind. It had left Reann a little baffled for a few minutes, but he eventually shrugged it off and went searching. He guessed the name 'Silent Hand' had something to do with it, but then again, perhaps they just wished to keep themselves annonomus with their letters.

The man however, was easy enough to find. It seemed that everyone in the town knew who he was, what he represented, where he stayed and a whole slue of almost usless information about him. One man even said he could get Reann one of his shoes and Reann dismissed the man with a casual wave and a quick dodge down an adjacent street going the other way. It didn't lead him off course though, and soon he found himself staring at a rather normal looking building with a few guards posted at its doors. When he approached one of the guards spoke up.

"What be your business here, wolf?"

Reann raised an eyebrow. "Well, with that kind of tone you'd think I came here to steal your sheep and then rob you dry."

One of the guards gave him a dry smile and inched his sword out of his scabard a little. Reann raised his hands defensively, bekoning the guard to stay his weapon.

"Easy sport, I'm just here to see Serien, if you'll let me. Quite a jumpy bunch of folks, aren't ya?"

The gaurd snarled as he slammed his sword back into its scabard. Then he pointed a thumb over his shoulder and growled back in response.

"He's inside and no funny business, or I'll make sure you won't see the light of day again."

Reann smiled and started to walk by then paused beside the guard and whispered something in his ear. "I'll remember that when I pull you alive from the fray."

The guard snarled again and Reann laughed as he walked into the building. After navigating a few halls for a couple seconds, Reann came to a hall that looked rather promising. Mainly because there were two guards standing in it, one looking rather pale and the other nursing a pair of broken fingers.

"Get your hand stuck in the door?" Reann asked in a cheerful tone to the guard holding his fingers. Luckily this guard had a sense of humor and laughed weakly.

"Sure wish that's what happened." Then he groaned as he tried to move his broken fingers. The other guard spoke up for him.

"Some kid just came through here and broke Thad's fingers like they was twigs. Never seen a kid quite like him."

"Uh-huh," Reann said thoughtfully. "Well, it might be in your best interest to not move your fingers and get them splinted as soon as possible. Soaking them in cool water always helps too."

Then Reann was trying walking between the two men, who just stared and then muttered appologies as they moved out of his way. The one with the broken fingures gave a weak attempt at a thanks, Reann just smiled and patted his shoulder, and the other seemed to color up a bit more.

"You two take it easy, don't go over stressing yourself. I think this place is pretty much covered." With that he opened the door and stepped into the room beyond. "Hello? Hope I'm not interrupting anything, I'm here to talk to Serien. Do you know where he is?"

His smile was broad and he stood just inside the door way, thumbs tucked behind his sash like belt, waiting for someone to either crack a wish comment back at him, or respond with a kind hello.

Makira
04-30-06, 05:24 PM
Makira and Serien had been talking about possible plans for intruding into the castle of the one who was overseeing the city when the first of them walked in. Serien smiled to Makira and said, “Silence Sei Orlogue, a master tactician.” Serien then stroked his beard for a couple of seconds while looking the lad up and down. “A bit younger than we had expected, but we know that the younger ones are sometimes the better ones.” Serien laughed at his comment. There was a bit of talking outside the door and what sounded like a murmured apology and thanks before another person walked in.

“I am Serien.” Serien said nonchalantly, his eyes glinting with amusement. “This is the base of operations for the rebellion we are planning on starting here in this town. Our reasons are benevolent, I assure you. We have no reason to want to rule over this town ourselves, but it would be better than the tyrant who currently reigns supreme as judge, jury, and executor here in our oldest hangout.” Serien pushed a map across the desk he was sitting in at Makira, who in turn handed it to who she supposed would be the strategist, Sei Orlogue.

Makira smiled slightly at the two hired ones as Serien walked the length of the room, searching for something. He paused for a second, rubbing his beard thoughtfully. A flash of light from outside illuminated the office for a second, giving the light needed to find what Serien was looking for. “Ah-hah!” He said, reaching for a pair of mythril gauntlets he had stashed away at the close of the war they had fought in Haidia, the one place he wished never to go again. “The rallying of the people should be yours to control, Sei… We don’t have the best people skills, those of us who work in the Silent Hand. Though I keep a lesser degree of secrecy than did Makira or our former leader, Maera, we do have protocols about whether or not it is a good idea to show myself as the leader of the Guild of Thieves while Makira and Maera are unable to lead it. The people here know me as an old, kind shopkeeper who fights for the rights of others. I’m also the cheapest of the shops here, as most of my revenue comes from illegal trades, anyway.”

Makira then took up the floor as she began to speak, interrupting Serien’s longwinded speech. “I am Makira, former second-in-command of the Silent Hand. I will be working closely with the both of you, and the rest of the town as well. As for our plan, as far as I know we don’t even have one beyond the hope for a rebellion with the backing of the people in the town. We have a horde of weapons, but no way to get people to wield them. What we need is someone to bring in those interested in toppling the idiot who is currently trying to control this town.”

“What Makira is trying to say, I think, is that we need people to give us the strength we need in order to start this rebellion. Therus Lyman’s troops are about as well-trained as the people in this town, and are ruddy coward to boot. We only need the element of pride and anger in the people in order for his follish self to be toppled easily.” Serien said. Serien equipped his gauntlets before opening a door to the back of his house. “In here is where everything we need is being used. The strongest items we have are mythril, but it beats out the equipment that Therus has by a long shot. Of course, most of the equipment is steel or titanium, but we don’t have to worry about that until more people come to be equipped.”

Makira smiled and sat down in a chair in front of Serien’s desk. “We need a plan, as Sei said… What are we going to do to rally support among the populace?” This was the major issue on Makira’s mind. If the people were too frightened of Therus’s forces, then they would have their work cut out for them. She waited for an answer from Sei, if he even had one. If he was to be the strategist, he had to be able to come up with a plan for rallying support, or at least Makira hoped he could.

Silence Sei
05-01-06, 10:59 AM
As the child stood there, another came in before introductions were properly made. Sei turned and smiled at this newcomer, bowing formally to him. "I am Sei Orlouge, Hero of Radasanth. I shall be the strategist for this battle. Pleasure to meet you." Sei finished his introduction as Serien began his, causing Sei to turn back around to the Silent Hand leader. He promised Sei that they did not have ideas of totaltarianism, which eased the mind of the mute as he quietly nodded and listened to the explanation.

"First off, Lord Serien, the term is 'executioner'," Sei said with a slight grin, trying to be a smart alek while he could get away with it, "As for a plan, I already have that under control. Lord Serien, I believe you can help me with that endeavor, provided your willing to stay in your alias as the kind shopkeeper for a bit longer. You see, I already did research on this Therus Lyman before I came here, and found a few valuable pieces of information that will help us rally the people. In fact, the wheels have already been set into motion, if you gentlemen would just look outside..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Outside, there was a little girl, clothed in a blue dress, blue heels, and a yellow backpack. She had gained a crowd due to the situation that she was in. A large guardsman for Therus was holding the child up by her wrist, and she was flailing her limbs around wildly, tears pouring from her eyes. "Let me go! I said I was sorry, isn't that enough?!" Her apology seemed sincere, but the armored guard shook his head. "I'm afraid it won't be, girl, you stole from Lord Lyman, so you must be punished for your crimes."

The girl's inconsistant movements began to grow even wilder as he said this. "No! Please, I beg of you!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Well, that's my cue, if you'll excuse me," Sei humbly bowed and left the room to join the situation outside. As he ran out into the road, he pushed through the people with the strength of a man, running and kicking the guard without saying a word. The large guard looked down at Sei, stroking his black beard with a grin as he grabbed Sei's wrist and lifted him up with his spare hand. "Well, now we have a theif and a person who would assault one of Lord Lyman's guards. I'm afraid we're going to have to take care of you both!"

Sei's eyes widened as Anita looked to her father, tears still pouring from her eyes. "Please, leave Sei alone! He's mute and I'm the only one who knows what he's saying! Please, he was just trying to help me! Leave him alone at least!" This had began to stir the people up, seeing this obviously large man pick on those smaller than him, and children at that. "I'm afraid simple apologies won't do now, I'm allowed to enforce my own judicial right, by order of Lord Lyman, and I think crushing every bone in your bodies will be a suitable execution!"

The guard squeezed the two wirsts he was holding harder, causing Sei to open his mouth and soundlessly scream, while the little girl screamed for help at the top of her lungs. For a breif moment, Sei's eyes looked to the window where Serien's office was, the look of anguish still in his face. He sent a message to all the people in Serien's office while keeping up his masquerade.

"The man who is 'executing' us is one of my soldiers and friends. This strategy was a lot easier than trying to coax one of Therus Lyman's men into attacking us. I wish for one of you to come out, speak out for this 'horrid crime' and attack Tracer here. He will retreat after you place a decent beating on him, and it will prove to the people that Lyman's troops are just as mortal as they are. This will raise the people's morales, and I will take it from there."

Seether
05-01-06, 12:29 PM
Reann nodded his acceptance of the introductions, grateful not to be stared at for once in his life, and diverted part of his attention to the speaker, Serien. As the man spoke Reann couldn't help but wonder how that voice, it sounded like a boy, had abruptly appeared in his mind and introduced itself. Stranger still was the fact that the little boy in the room had turned to meet him and bowed at exactly the same time. Reann had never experienced telepathy before, he had always been afraid of it, afraid of its power, but his boy made it feel like a gentle caress. He smiled as he listened to Serien speaking, half his brain taking in all the information he'd need, the other half still studying the telepathic message he had just received.

Something moved beside him and he roused himself from his deep thought, and found everyone standing by, or near to, one of the large windows on the wall facing the street. The little boy bowed and then moved past everyone and disappeared out into the hall. Reann moved up beside Serien and stared down into the growing mayhem below.

His brow narrowed at what he saw and he watched silently as the boy rushed up and kicked at the man, who was wrestling with a small girl who was obviously screaming at the top of her lungs, although Reann didn't hear much of it. The walls of this place were nicely soundproofed if he could hear anything. Then the burly looking fellow, he looked like a soldier, hoisted the boy up by his waist and then proceeded to torture each with a good old wrist squeeze. Reann snorted at the look of anguish on the boys face; he had seen that guard’s fingers, the boy was a good actor.

"He's faking," Reann said quietly just before a telepathic message from the boy confirmed his thoughts. Reann let his hands fall to his sides and he gave a small bow to the other two in the room. "If you will excuse me, I believe that is my cue."

Then he turned and strode out the door and as he passed between the two guards, the one looked like he had gotten his fingers patched up, he spoke. "You two, go out the back and come around front. There will be a commotion, work your way in and there should be a man at the center. Be sure to let him know you're there. Your swords will do nicely." Then he was walking off, leaving the two of them stunned and confused. Just before Reann rounded the corner he turned back. "Well?"

"Y-yessir!" The two said as one as they straightened, gave a salute to the heart and bolted up the hall after him. Reann went right, and they went left, their swords clattering against their legs as they ran. Well, the first part of his plan was in motion, now for the second part.

He found the other guards where he had left them, both staring into the backs of the crowd, arms crossed with scowls on their faces. Reann approached the one that had threatened him and laid a hand on his shoulder. "You remember that boy who passed through here a few minutes ago?"

The guard was distracted enough to not notice the hand, but when Reann spoke he twisted his head and spat, away from Reann as it were, and spoke. "Yeah, 'e just came runnin' out a few seconds ago, 'y?" He then looked up at Reann with a scowl.

"Well, sir, that boy is our strategist, and right now he's being taken prisoner and I don't think your employer would be mighty pleased to have him just up and be kidnaped on the eve before your 'liberation mission.'" Reann smiled broadly down at the guard and the man snorted.

"Well, what can we do? That mob'll rip 'em to pieces if he so much as harms the boy."

Reann lifted a finger. "Not so, else they would have done so already. See, the man who's doing the kidnaping, is also taking a little girl. You have children? A daughter perhaps?"

The guard’s eyes narrowed in anger. "If that man lays one hand afoul on her . . . " The ring of steel coming out of a scabbard finished the man’s unspoken words.

"Good. Now, if you two will follow me. And be sure not to stab anyone, not yet anyway. We still need them healthy you know." Then Reann walked down the remainder of the steps and headed toward the crowd. It was going to be a difficult task to get through that many bodies, he wondered how he . . .

"Outta the way you scurvy ridden dogs!" Reann started a bit when the guard he had spoken too bellowed at the mob. The people in back jumped, turned to see drawn steel on their faces and leapt out of the way of Reann and his two guard escort. As Reann walked, he unlimbered his bow and pulled an arrow from his quiver.

It was a short walk to the center and when he got there he saw the other two pushing their way through in the back. The settled themselves behind the big man and drew their swords, brandishing them with both hands. Reann pointed to each side of him as he came to the center, and was surprised to find that the two guards behind him actually listened, but he let it fall as he knocked the arrow, drew the fletching to his ear and then leveled it at the burly mans head. At this range, there was little chance he'd miss.

"I suggest you leave off these two and make short work of your get away before someone, like you, gets hurt."

Reann smiled crookedly at the big man and narrowed his eyes. The big man was surely shaken at this point, with four swords to you and an arrow at your forehead, it was enough to shake even the most battle-hardened warrior, even if he was just faking.

Silence Sei
05-01-06, 12:54 PM
It was not long before somebody had answered Sei's call, and of all people it was the man who had entered the room soon after the mute. The child was smiling on the inside, despite the fact that he was still feigning pain. The large guardsmen looked about him as he saw the soldiers and Reann, all with weapons drawn. He growled a little before dropping the children. "Consider it a warning. The next time you steal from Mr. Lyman, I'll kill you no matter what..."

The guardsmen then turned away from the two children, making his way through the crowd and shoving anyone in his way. Sei and Anita began to hold their respective wrists as they landed on the ground, as if Tracer had actually broken them. "Are you ok, Sei?" the girl asked, looking to the mute, who nodded. The girl then looked to Reann, her face becoming a little more happy now that she had been 'rescued'. "Thank you Mister! I'm so grateful that you saved me and Sei! You and your friends are all good people!"

Suddenly, on the drop of a dime, the girl's expression turned to one of anger as she spun around to address the crowd. "Why didn't you people do anything?! You would have let a person like that kill me, wouldn't you have?! If my mother was here, she would..." The girl's head looked down, to which Sei's hand was placed upon her shoulder. "Mom would have fought Sei, you know it. She would have given it her all to beat up that bad man! You know that, don't you Sei?!"

Sei nodded, closing his eyes as the girl's eyes began to fill with tears. "I'm tired of this mean man telling us what we can and can't do, Sei! We're starving on the street and his friends get to eat banquets every night! What did we ever do to deserve this Sei?! Tell me!" Sei responded by drooping his own head to the ground, not being able to find an answer for the girl. "Sei, we're going to fight them! We're going to fight them with all of our might!" Sei's head looked up as the girl began to give the speech.

The speech was not only inspiring Sei, but the people in the crowd. Mummurs began about standing up to Therus Lyman. People began to say things like 'If these children will fight, why can't we?' and the like. The mummurs brought a smile to Sei's face, who nodded to the girl. "We're going to give them a war Sei! We're going to make that bad man tell us he's sorry and we're going to make sure we're all treated equally!" The girl's motivational speech rallied the crowd, causing an uproar to signal that the people were all for what the girl believed.

Looking around, the girl smiled. "I think these nice people are finally going to help Sei! Right?" Anita looked to the crowd as they cheered to signify that they were behind her. "Good, I want you people to go and ask if anybody in this town has ever been a guardsmen or something. We'll have them lead small groups of people and train them and stuff. That'll help us a lot. We have to be swift about this, before the mean man can tighten his defenses. Me and Sei will come by and contact you people again when we are ready to strike." Anita cutseyed to the group before going to Seriens office.

As Sei followed the little girl, he stopped when he was beside Reann. "I hope you know how to weild that bow well, sir. You're going to be in charge of the archer unit." The child smiled as he made his way back into Seriens office. "Mr. Serien, I have a feeling your business is about to pick up."

Seether
05-01-06, 01:09 PM
Reann nodded his compliance with what the boy, Sei the little girl had called him, Reann must've not been paying attention when Sei had introduced himself, he was probably still caught up with the whole telepathy thing, and turned to the two guards behind him.

"You heard the girl, whom I am assuming is Sei, the boys, right-hand girl. Gather what men you think can fight, and start giving them a run down of the basics." The two guards, the one still considerably pissed, nodded with jerks of their heads, saluted with a fist to the heart, and began questioning the crowd and taking names. Reann then turned to the other two. "Gather what bows, arrows, targets, people and fletchers you can find. We have a lot of work ahead of us and we best get started right now." Reann thought about saying something about the burly man they had just scared away, but then he remembered the two of them still didn't know, so he let it go. The two others saluted and disappeared into the crowd.

Reann stood in the center of the now milling crowd and watched the sky. There were a few white clouds way up in the atmosphere, and off in the distance the black head of a thunder storm was working its way across the countryside. That could spell disaster for his archers. Someone tapped him on his shoulder and he shook his head, clearing his mind of the problems of later and focused again on the problems of now. He turned to address the person who had tapped him on the shoulder. It was four scrawny looking men, and five equally thin women. Reann quirked an eyebrow up, "Yes?" as all that he said.

The lead man, the one who had tapped him on his shoulder, cleared his throat and gestured back to his companions. "We may not look like much sir, I can assure you we're the best in these parts, and we was wondering if there were still spots left with the archers. We even gots our own bows and arrows, if you don't have enough to spare."

Reann quirked another eyebrow, this time in surprise. The guards acted fast it seemed, either that or they had all overheard him talking to the two. After a minute Reann smiled.

"Of course, if you will follow me, we'll go find you some place where you can help train the ones less fortuante than yourselves, when it comes to archery. Consider yourselves the first to be initiated into this archer unit." He put an arm around the now beaming man and motioned for the others to follow him. As they walked they began spreading the word that archers were needed, and slowly people began to tag along with him. Soon he had a small mob following him through the streets; Reann couldn't have been happier.

The board is set, he thought. The pieces are in play and hopefully our 'king' is a wise enough man to place his pieces accordingly.

Makira
05-01-06, 08:20 PM
Serien smiled as Sei informed him about his business picking up. Though not a good motivational speaker, Serien had the sense of a shopkeeper, which is why the base for the Silent Hand was one of the best shops in the city. It made operation of the business of the Silent Hand hard, but there was a way up through the sewer and another through the rooftops that gave considerably more privacy than the front door. Serien tapped his fingers on his desk and said, “Well, I suppose it is time to open the weapons part of my store.” He opened the door to his shop and yelled into the crowd, “I’ve been watin’ for ye to come ‘bout yer senses! I have the weapons ye need in order to get this rebellion started right!” With that, he watched as a few tentative people, then more and more pour into his shop, looking for the weapons he promised.

Makira stepped back a little from the crowd and opened the door to the main weaponry, where most of the purloined regular weapons were kept by the Silent Hand. The secret store room could wait until the normal people had gotten their choice of weapons and left. Until then, she walked over to Sei, her voice hinting at some definite admiration. “You know your way around people.” In the noise of the shop, she was not too worried about being overheard. She looked to Serien with a slight frown. “He… is not in direct charge of this operation. I am the one who is supposed to be the de facto leader, though he likes to put on a show for those who do not know him. I respect any decisions you will make, though I would appreciate a little bit of input into what you do or do not do.” Makira grinned slightly as she said this. Serien was one of her oldest friends, and still had a lot of life left to him. He would be able to fight hand in hand with the idiots inside of Therus’s employ.

Makira turned from Sei quickly and gripped the hilt of her whip, checking to see if it was still where she needed it to be. She wondered slightly if the most interesting of the weapons they had found were still in the hidden weaponry, and left through a back exit to the office. As she was sure she was alone, she turned an unlit candle on the wall, opening the secret entrance to the secret weaponry of the Silent Hand. There were stairs leading to the hidden area of the basement where the rarer weaponry was kept. Specifically, anything of Mythril strength or higher was kept in these secret areas. Makira flipped a switch on the wall, which closed the secret entrance to the hidden stores.

As she descended the stairs, she wondered slightly at what she was doing here, why she was here, and whether or not she would ever be free of her history as a thief. The Silent Hand was supposed to be more than just a haven for those who considered themselves thieves. She sighed as she continued down to the secret stores. She found it much the same as she left it. It was a bit disappointing that the black market in weapons was not doing as well as during the days when Maera was still in charge. Makira searched high and low until she found exactly that which she was looking for. A flexible, powerful, lightweight leather whip with mythril tips. She couldn’t be happier to have found it, the ultimate in ultimate whips under the collection of the Silent Hand Thieves Guild.

Makira picked it up with reverence, discarding her old whip in favor of this one, which was expertly crafted and could cut using the tip that had been built into it. She had loved this weapon from the get-go, but knew that she would be unable to use it until the need truly arised. She gripped the hilt gently, felling it fit to her hand almost exactly. She smiled as she thought of the acrobatic maneuvers and the kind of power that she would be able to hold when she used her techniques along with this whip.

When Makira went back up to the office, she found that it was still as busy as it had been. When Serien asked her where she had gone, she smiled lightly and said, “Bathroom…” Serien let it hang at that as he continued to work with the people trying to find weapons that would work for them. Makira smiled as she thought of the power that these people would command once they were ready to take down the idiot Therus. Besides, she thought, when Maera gets back, we won’t have to worry about this as much as we are right now… She’ll bring back a sense of normalcy among all of us. The members of the Silent Hand are mine to command. It is a good thing that they are already adept at using their various brands of weapons, for I have no doubt that all of them, especially those of us who know how to use proper magic, will be appreciated above all else in the coming battle. I just hope the others are keeping low profiles up there in the other rooms of this building.

(OOC: Feel free to control any members of the Silent Hand you deem necessary…)

Seether
05-03-06, 06:09 PM
Reann cupped his chin in his hand and crossed his other through the crook of his bent elbow and looked the men and women standing before him up and down. They were all a ragtag bunch, farmers mostly, with a dabbling of local tavern owners, businessmen and the like mixed between their ranks. There were even a few ex-military, those few were set off to the side, immediate captains in his meager force of seventy-four, although this was only the tip of the iceberg.

Meager indeed, Reann thought to himself as he let his hands fall to clasp behind his back. But that dumb ass Therus, as he heard the locals refer to him as, would surely rue the day he met them in the field. Or rather, Reann smiled to himself, met them from the rooftops of their own homes. Reann cast his eyes over the loose ranks of his troops and turned to the left and slowly began walking up and down the front line.

As he walked, he would pause momentarily to check at one persons equipment, making sure it was in working order or that it wasn't stored improperly or the like. Reaching the end of the line he walked back to stand in the center of the line, five feet back, head raised high, eyes meeting each individual’s for a few short seconds before finally speaking.

"Right good show you have here Gillian," Reann said as he surveyed the men. A short man, well beyond his middle years and bordering on retirement age, coughed and approached from Reann's left side.

"Yessir, they'll all make a fine force one day." Reann caught the underlying tone in the mans voice and raised an eyebrow without taking his eyes off the assembled. Gillian coughed again and cleared his throat. "Well, look at 'em sir. They are a bunch of farmers with pitchforks. Businessmen with books and scribes with pens! Not the fighting force needed too win this." Gillian fidgeted and rubbed a knobbed hand through his graying hair. "Sure I support the rebellion in that this Therus guy has to go, but couldn't we hire mercs? I mean, they're far better off than these rabble, by far." The man settled down in a grumble and Reann smiled.

"Tell me Gillian, what was it like to fight a war?"

Gillian started, blinked a few times, a lost looking coming to his eyes, then turned to face Reann.

"Like death itself sir. Hard work a war. With all the death, marching, not knowing if you're going to live another day or be pushing up next spring’s grass. Stress too, lots of stress and that's not even the whole of it."

Reann chuckled again and pointed toward the assembled. "You see these men Gillian." The man nodded and gave Reann a stupid look. "Have you seen the look on their faces before?"

Gillian sighed, looked to the assembled, and then sighed again. "Aye sir, that I have. I've seen the like on many a mens face before they charged into battle. It's the look of determination, the driving strength behind their spirit. The true deciding factor in any battle, or war for that matter."

"So you're telling me, that these men and women share the same qualities of those soldiers you fought beside, so long ago?"

"Wasn't that long ago sir, but yes, they share the same quality. But sir, quality falls far short of talent and these few here lack any sense when it comes to soldiering. Any at all!"

Reann turned to Gillian, a small smile on his face. He wasn't angry at the man, he had every right to doubt the seventy-four men and women standing before him, he was a veteran after all. Reann was, at this point, only trying to make the man see a very important point.

"Gillian, were you there when we tested these men and women to see if they could work in our squad?"

Gillian looked for a moment set back, then shook himself and straightened. "Why yes, sir, I was and a damned good show, they put on too. All of 'em."

"Show, Gillian?" The man was caught off guard by the counterattack and slumped a little, before straightening. Reann spoke before he could rebuttal.

"Gillian, today I witnessed at least twelve individuals put an arrow into a target no bigger than my closed fist at nearly three hundred paces. Nearly forty more the same target at two hundred. The rest fell somewhere in between the range of one hundred and two. Each man here might be a farmer, or a businessman, or a scribe, but they know what they are about. I may have not been through a war, or a battle of any scale, but I will tell you that I have had my share of troubles, and I believe these men and women will win through. It's in the way they hold themselves, the way they talk, walk, breathe, eat, sleep. They are a living representation of that which they strive; freedom. I think Gillian that you will be very surprised at what a farmer with a pitchfork, a business man with his book, and a scribe with his pen, can accomplish should they ban together."

Gillian stood for a moment in silence, before nodding slowly. "Aye, I see your point sir." Then he did a sharp left turn and saluted Reann with a fist to his heart. "If you will excuse me sir, I must see to my men and their placement around the city."

Reann nodded and gave the man his dismissal before turning back to the now dispersing assembled men and women of seventy-four. He stood silently and watched as they mingled about, taking orders from their captains and moving off toward their assigned positions. Most were gone when someone tapped him on the shoulder and when he turned, he was greeted by the two guards he had first met outside Serien's office. They both saluted, which Reann returned in kind, then set about giving their report.

"We've rounded up another two hundred or so for the archery unit, and we've got about seventy fletchers under our command as of twenty minutes ago. They've already begun producing arrows and bolts at a record pace, and we should be well stocked by tomorrow, or sometime tomorrow, should we keep up the pace. We've also managed to acquiesce the possession of another three hundred bows and fifty crossbows, which should be distributed accordingly in the next few hours."

Reann nodded and turned to look at his captains, now conferring around Gillian to receive their own orders. "Good, good. What is our current numbering force?" He knew he phrased it odd, but the two understood non-the-less.

"Close to over two hundred, one hundred and twenty-five armed with bows, the other seventy-five or so, with crossbows."

"And what are the other two hundred doing?"

The loud guard, who had shouted at the crowd earlier that day, looked down at his clipboard. "Says here that they'll be going through their evaluation in about twenty or so minutes."

"Good. I want your guys to continue recruiting. As long as there's still day light, which should be the next three hours or so, I want as many men as we can get. If you have too, line the shooting range with torches, but keep them coming. If Therus has a sizable force, we'll want to eliminate them as they approach, so that the fighting in the streets is at a minimal."

"Understood sir."

Reann nodded again, glanced at the now empty square, and turned back to the two guards. "Right, now if you will excuse me, I need to talk to Serien about the acquiring of a few specialty weapons myself. I expect another report in two hours. Dismissed."

The two snapped salutes and turned to walk away. Reann stared at their backs for a moment before turning the opposite way, and walking off toward Serien's temporary HQ, as well as the boy Sei's.

Silence Sei
05-07-06, 08:48 PM
"I believe I know what you are planning, sir," Sei spoke to Reann as the man began to walk to Serien's headquarters, "I however, object greatly to your plan of action." Anita, who was standing beside her father, nodded solemnly, though she had no idea what the two were conversing about. "Lining the archers among the rooftops is essential strategy. That is why that will be Therus' first move when he hears of this uprising. I doubt this man's intellect as a strategist, but I have no doubt that he knows how to pick off people with archer."

Anita blinked, not entirely understanding why the army had an archer unit if they were not going to be used on the rooftops. "Instead, Lord Reann, we must try and avoid as many casualties as possible, would you not agree?" Sei did not even wait for the warrior to answer before he continued, "I have a keen plan on this matter, and, provided both you and Makirs both approve, I would like to see it implicated. I wish for the archers to be lined up, shoulder to shoulder, in the alleyways between Therus' home and the end of the town. If initiated with the rest of my strategies, your men will simply have to pick off the soldiers by aiming for their legs. If they can not reach us, they shall not be able to attack us. Furthermore, most of Therus' archers will be placed around his base. The people know the layout of the alleys, they can switch into different routes while they reload their bows. This will keep Therus' snipers from targetting the people, as well as take out his men at the same time."

"Papa hasn't proposed the plan to Makira yet, though," Anita said which caused her father to jerk his head to the side and stare the girl down. Sei did not like being second-guessed by anyone who was not a superior officer, even if it were his own daughter. Looking back, Sei closed his eyes, "I know you wish to line your men on the rooftops, and it is your unit, so I shall not stop you. However, I am trying to avoid casualties and would like for you to consider my proposal. They can not defeat an enemy they can not reach or see."

With that being said, Sei turned around and walked away. He had to go talk to Makira about the other units that they had...

Seether
05-07-06, 09:16 PM
Reann jumped nearly out of his skin when Sei appeared abruptly by his side, the small boy moving swiftly to catch him, shadowed always by the small girl whom Reann had seen him caught with hours earlier. He calmed some when the boys voice rang in his head, and he cocked his head a little, listening and still feeling uneasy of the idea that his voice was inside his head, rather than out. When the boy had finished speaking he turned and walked away, leaving Reann walking slowly alone in the center of the street. He glanced up at the darkening sky and then scanned the rooftops, trying to image what it would look like packed with archers. They would be an easy target, even if they could dish out loads of damage before being killed themselves. Then Reann considered something else the boy said.

Trying to minimize casualties.

If everything went well tomorrow, even if it didn’t, a good many men and women were going to die tomorrow. A good many. If they could. . . Reann shook himself and stopped in the center of the street.

The kid has a point. I need to speak with Gillian.

"Gillian," he said, almost before he could check himself. There was no way the man could possibly hear -

The small man appeared from seemingly nowhere to stand by Reann's side; he had a small smile on his face, as if he knew something that Reann did not. Reann was beginning to wonder if the man was shadowing him, but then he reconsidered; he was their commanding officer, he needed to know things the instant they happened, even if it meant shadowing his general.

"Yes sir?"

"Change of plans Gillian,” Reann said crossing his arms and squaring himself in front of the man. “I need you to assemble all our officers over by Serien's head quarters by the end of the next half hour, or sooner, if you can manage."

"Yes sir, I will see to it. Next half hour or sooner, see you there sir!"

"Good man."

He dismissed the man with a curt nod and then jogged after Sei. He fell in beside the boy with a small smile and waited a few seconds before speaking.

"You are the tactician Sei, and I find your advice very practical. Disabling the enemy instead of killing them is a far better way to handle a rebellion, less political issues when independence is finally gained. Consider your suggestion considered, and acted upon. My men will await the enemy within the alleyways."

He fell silent after he finished, and contended himself with the thoughts of his units growing numbers, how he was going to distribute weapons, as well as how he was going to get enough arrows and bolts for them all.

Silence Sei
05-09-06, 08:48 PM
As Sei began to walk down the road, he was joined once again by Reann. The archer leader had informed the child that the strategy proposed would be acted upon. The child smiled at this and nodded, pleased that he would have his decision so quickly. "Oh," Sei added, "I suppose I should tell you not to worry about supplies. Just give me an estimate of what you need and how much of it you need, and I will procure is." Sei smiled as his eyes shifted to the girl walking beside him, who nodded eagerly.

"This is just like when you were working for Thoracis, isn't it Papa?" Anita asked, which caused the mute to freeze in place. How long had it been since the telepath had seen his old mentor? He owed his entire reputation to Thoracis, and how did Sei repay him? By defeating the mage in the LCC. Sei's eyes turned to concern when he thought about this. Surely, Thoracis should have been happy that Sei had improved so much during his time away, but something had changed about the boy's former lord.

"Papa?" Anita asked, poking her father, which snapped him out of his daze into the past. The mute looked to his daughter with a smile and nodded, and continued into Serien's office. As the mute made his way through to the leader of the Silent Hand, he smirked a little. "Your people are theives, are they not? I wish for you to gather me twelve men, six of them merchants and six of them theives. The merchants will bribe the most corrupt of Therus' men, paying them for goods in their lord's warehouse. The theives will steal six uniforms, and only six uniforms, nothing else. Also, they must be from some of the higher-ups in Therus' chain of command." Sei smirked a little as he looked ton his daughter.

"I get it!" Anita exclaimed, "You want the theives to pretend they're the higher-ups, and have them flaunt around any special 'priveleges' they get for being higher-ups, while punishing and demoralizing the other guards! Right Papa?" The mute nodded, and then looked back to Serien, "Almost, but there's one key element needed for this strategy. I want the guards being bribed off to -catch- the 'higher-ups' enjoying spoils that Therus is holding off on until the war. Wine, women, whatever it is, I want them enjoying themselves to their fullest. This will enrage the bribed guards, especially if they've been getting punished for nothing. They will talk of joining our rebellion amongst themselves...."

"And when it seems like we're going to win, there will be someone able to just open the front door to let us walk in...." Sei nodded.

"As I told the head of our archers, I'm going to minimize casualties, and try my best for the people not to get involved in any actual hand-to-hand. They may not have what it takes to kill a man, and I don't want them forfeiting their lives because of that. Also, I need to know, are you holding out any special forces on us? If so, I would like for you to tell me of them now." Sei may have been Serien's strategist for this war, but he could not trust the theif completely yet. If there was something Serien was hiding, he would be wise to reveal it soon.

Makira
05-11-06, 10:52 PM
Serien smiled as he listened to the sounds of people preparing for the rebellion. It did his heart good to know that he was doing something for the people of this town, especially after all of the stuff he had stolen from them in the past. Albeit, the people of this town didn’t have much in the way of sellable material, and most of what he had obtained for the Silent Hand from this particular base was from Therus, he figured he owed the people this one due. And the weapons he sold, even though a lot of the weapons had been stolen from places around the world, would generate him a more pronounced profit than had he tried selling them to people who would use them for awhile and then throw them away. This way, the weapons were sold at a reduced price, but even better found good homes among the townspeople.

When Sei walked in, Serien smiled a little. Even Sei’s question made him chuckle a bit. “My dear Sei. We do not prefer to be called thieves, because few of us are really interested in stealing for a profit. We prefer revolutionaries, or treasure hunters, for those of us who do still steal. But yes, you’ll have your twelve men. Thankfully, most of the merchants in town are from our group. As for the thieves, you can find them just about anywhere in town, but for our Silent Hand members, I suppose it does not really matter. They’ll be waiting outside the local tavern, the Tavern of the Holder. It was named for some local hero or something, but they’ll be there. As for the special forces…” Serien heard something behind him as Makira walked out of the room. “They will be under Makira’s special control. They are six of the elite members of the Silent Hand. Besides Makira and myself, they are the only ones who know who the leader of the Silent Hand really is, as they proved themselves with loyalty, service, and leadership in our Guild. They are known as the Controllers.”

Makira wondered silently to herself about the special forces that she would be in charge of. She knew them all very well, and personally: Yurai of the Broken Staff, Reis of the Dragon’s Bow, Gilbert the Silver Hand, Lerin of the Flying Scythe, Hiana of the Frozen Blade, and Jirian of the Thirteen Blades. Those were who she was supposed to command. She, Makira of the Shadowed Whip, was supposed to be commander of these six master fighters. She could hardly believe that she was going to be commanding the six of them, the most powerful of the Fighter’s of the Silent Hand.

Serien knew that she would be able to command them appropriately, but Makira was not so sure. She knew that they would listen to her, but she didn’t believe that she was going to be any good, especially when she was up against the archers of the enemy. She was scared to death of arrows. Ever since that day with her brother, she had always been afraid of the evil things.

It was her worst fear, and she feared almost as much someone discovering that fear. As she continued to walk down the hall, she looked to see that she was surrounded on all sides by the tacky art that Therus collected, only for them to steal. She turned and walked through a door on the right. As the door opened, she heard hushed talking which suddenly quieted as she walked in. Then she heard the voice of Yurai saying, “It’s just Makira. Turn on the lights. Now that we are all here, there is little reason to hide anymore.”

The lights flared on and revealed the six Controllers in all of their splendor. Yurai was blonde, wore his trademark flashy clothing, and looked like he was more than just a cutpurse. His moderate build revealed nothing of the true strength he had, using his trademark Broken Staff weapon. Reis, his long black hair flowing down his back, and his lean running muscle clear through the tight shirt he wore, looks just as he always did, like a confident leader.

Then there was Lerin, the most fearsome of the fighters. His long, black-handled scythe, attached to his back, was famous for his wicked ways of using his allegedly magical scythe. It was his favorite weapon, and it sowed death wherever it went. He could throw it and slash through any enemy, and then have it return to him. He had long, black hair, wore long, black clothing, and was pale because of his inability to tan in sunlight.

Gilbert the Silver Hand was famous for the two mythril gauntlets he wore that he shined to silvery perfection. Though he refused to draw blood with his fists, he could kill someone through concentrating his power with his fists into the key pressure points of his enemy’s body. It was the greatest of his skills to kill someone with a single blow of his mythril fists.

Hiana was one of the greatest of the powerful elemental warriors of the Silent Hand, and was the only one of them among the Controllers. Her frozen blade not only froze anything it touched, but was razor sharp. That was why she was envied by every person in the Silent Hand. She was beautiful, her blue eyes and white hair combined with her captivating beauty made her look something of an Ice Goddess. She wore less than revealing sky blue and navy blue clothes, much to her fans’ disdain. She detested her beauty, and wished only for one thing. She wanted her power to be what made her famous, not her beauty.

Jirian of the Thirteen Blades was an enigma. He was the most powerful of the fighters. His thirteen swords were more feared than any of the other fighters’ weapons. He was able to use those swords to destroy any enemy that had ever gone against him. Makira had just practiced with him once and came from the experience bruised and battered beyond anything she had ever known in her entire life. He had said that it would make her stronger, and it did. She was now able to compete on an even field with anyone of the controllers, including with Jirian. He was an enigma in that no one ever really knew what he looked like. He was a controller of his appearance, a shape-shifter. It was said that even he didn’t remember what he really looked like.

“Guys, we just need to get to Serien’s office, where we will meet the tactician of our little rebellion. He has no control over what you do, as that is my job, but please be polite to him. He deserves that, at least, since he is helping us for so little.” When the Controllers nodded to the affirmative, Makira sighed and said, “The seven of us are the most feared members of the Silent Hand, the Seven Controllers. Given, I may not be as strong as you all are, I can still throw down with the best of them, and I will match your talents eventually. Heck, remember, I’ve even beat a couple of you in practice, though… I doubt that would be the case if we were ever to really fight.” She was once again greeted with a nod from the others.

“Anyway, let’s get going.” Makira said, walking out the door, followed by the rest of the Controllers. When they entered Serien’s office, the turned toward Sei. “Sei,” Makira said, “these are the other six Controllers: Yurai, Reis, Gilbert, Lerin, Hiana , and Jirian.” As she said their names, each stepped forward easily and stepped back. “These are the special forces, along with myself. I hope you’ll find us to be useful to the campaign, even though I will be commanding them.” Makira spoke with self-assured tones, knowing that Sei would either have to accept that they were hers to control, or not have the Controllers as a part of the Rebellion at all.

Seether
05-12-06, 04:54 PM
Reann casually thanked Sei for the remark about supplies and wandered off to the right of the HQ building, instead of following the boy inside. He really didn't want to get involved with the nuts and bolts of leading this rebellion, all he needed to worry himself about was his own command. Gillian and his corresponding officers were waiting where he told them to be, not that he expected them not to be there, they were all men of their word.

As Reann approached Gillian motioned them to silence and then snapped to attention, slapping a salute across his chest. Reann noticed that none of the other officers made to give him a salute, but they did go to attention; he’d have to ask Gillian what that was about, but later. Right now, he had more important things to concern himself with.

After he returned Gillian’s salute Reann motioned everyone to fall in around him. After they had settled in, he spoke.

"All right, if Gillian hasn't already told you, there's been a change in plans. We're going to recruit much the same as we have been now for the last few hours, which I might add, is going splendidly. I've never seen such a turn out for the raising of a military force, come to think of it, I don't think I've seen one. Rest easy though, I can tell you that it is an excellent sight to see."

Reann let the men and women slap each others back in congratulations and smiles formed on all the faces around him. He raised his hand a little to bring about silence and they immediately did so, eyes once again intent on him.

"Our original plan was to have our men and women line roof tops and fire arrows down atop our enemies. This would have been a very sound plan, if there were but two disadvantages. One is that it would leave our men exposed, not by much mind you, but enough for us to lose a good number of them before this fight is finished. Secondly is that our tactician just informed me that he wants to reduce the casualties on both sides, and has such requested that I make amends to my, our, strategy so that we might minimize said casualties."

There were a few questioning murmurs toward the back of the group but they were quickly silent when no one else spoke up. Reann waited a few more seconds in silence before continuing.

"We are instead going to line the streets and alleys, hidden of course, and fire at their legs, or arms. It will be a difficult task, considering most of our archers aren't that skilled, but I'm sure with the number of legs that will pass, it shouldn't be too hard."

He paused for a few seconds then straightened and clasped his hands behind his back.

"Right, that's all. Be sure to pass on the new orders to your squads. Jena?"

"Yes?" Reann turned around to find the person who had spoken. When he found her, he motioned for her to step forward.

"I want you to start getting together as many men as you are able and begin constructing as many targets the sizes of legs as you can. They might not be experts, but I would like our boys and girls to have some experience shooting at legs and the like."

The woman nodded and immediately began selecting a few of the surrounding officers to help her carry out her orders. Reann nodded toward Gillian and the man dismissed the officers. Gillian remained and Reann motioned for him to stand beside him.

"I need a count of all our men and supplies that we will need. I've already gotten reports that we've found more weapons, but I still have no word on ammunition."

Gillian nodded, cocked his head as if asking for anything else and seeing that there was none, turned and walked away, calling for a few of his men to accompany him as he went.

Content that his end of the bargain was as far along as it could possibly get, Reann moved toward the HQ, greeting the guards as he went, and was standing at the doorway leading into Serien’s office in less than two minutes. He knocked once, pushed open the door and walked in. He was immediately confronted by six new individuals he hadn't seen before, all of which looked at him in reserved shock and he smiled.

"New guys?" Was all he asked before raising his hand in greeting. "Glad to have you guys aboard, names Reann. I'm in charge of the archers round here."

He then turned to Sei and gave the boy a small bow. "I'll have the numbers concerning my needed supplies within the hour. In the mean time," he turned to Serien. "You guys are thieves, this much is known, and from what I've seen, very successful ones at that. But what I've seen so far has been basic merchandise and hardware. Thieves of your esteem have to have something of greater quality laying around here some place, and judging by Miss Makira's new whip there, its pretty good stuff." He had noticed the new whip had replaced her old one, the one he had first seen her with, when he had come it but paid it little head. No need to lessen the surprise that he had figured they had better equipment. "If I might inquire as to whether or not you'll be supplying me and Sei with something a bit more, shall I say, advanced instead of basic?" He stopped then, and waited for a response with his hands clasped behind his back, his entire demeanor relaxed but alert. He absent mindedly wondered if anyone was actually caught off guard, or if they had known all along.

Silence Sei
05-25-06, 11:31 AM
Sei was introduced to the men in Makira's unit almost as soon as he had requested the soldiers for his second strategy. The strategist bowed gracefully to them as he smiled. "Yes, I have heard of you Controllers," Sei said, which brought a look of extreme surprise upon his daughter's face. "You do not agree to become the strategist for an entire army, peasant militia or not, and not try to comb through every fine detail with the smallest comb possible."

The mute looked back to his daughter, who nodded and removed a notepad from her bookbag, jotting that phrase down as a note. "I am completely aware that these are your soldiers, Makira, to do with as you see fit. With any luck, we will not have to make use of their unique strength." Sei was stone-cold serious about keeping casualties as small as possible, and if the strongest warrior in the world were to come in the door and offer his services right now, Sei would deny him if he sensed his bloodlust.

As that thought passed his mind, Reann passed through the door with a very good question. Serien had been storing better weapons than what was supplied to the villagers, and was asking the 'head' of this rebellion about their location. Before Serien could say anything, Sei raised a palm out towards Reann. "First off, Lord Reann, I would like to discuss something I feel must be discussed in front of all persons involved here. even if Lord Serien supplied us with weaponry of stronger fortitude than that of our soldiers, we will not outly use them."

Anita nodded, "So we won't kill the enemy, right Papa?" Sei shook his head to his now dumbfounded daughter. "Though that is an excellent reason, it is not the real one, Anita. If Lord Reann and I go around flaunting weapons we didn't appear to have before in public, it will make the villagers distrust us. They will have the same thoughts of people storing weapons and holding out on them that we want Therus' men to think. I don't want us to be battling our own troops. I request that the generals of this war only use the weapons they are known to have. I don't even like the thought of somebody caring the same weapon of a higher tier."

The last comment was blantantly directed at Makira, though not in a rude or condescending way. The mute simply did not want the people that he and Makira were commading to revolt against them. A revolution made in blood was a revolution worth having at all. The telepath turned to Lord Serien, then to Makira, and finally to Reann. "With that being said, I must take my leave of you all. There are many more strategies I wish to execute before the morrow comes." The child slowly made his way past Lord Reann, passing him a single thought that only he could 'hear'.

"By the way, Lord Reaann, when you do find that weapon storage, I would like to know their location as well. Even if I refuse to use a new weapon in front of the villagers."

As Sei left the building, Anita looked at her father blinking. The worried look on the mute's face scared the girl. "What's wrong, Father? Things seem to be going just as you planned." The mute nodded and looked to the stars starting to make their presence known in the sky. "Yes, Anita. Things are running smoothly, too smoothly. Something does not feel right."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"It's just as you predicted!" Therus exclaimed, watching his soldiers outside as they prepared for war. "The peons think they're going to rebel against me, and won't they be surprised when they see what I have planned. Yes they will, they will indeed!" Therus turned around to the shadows, a wicked smile upon his face. "Rumors are that even 'The Hero of Radasanth', Sei Orlouge, is among the people helping them prepare. How ever did you know that he would come?"

"Heh, curious to know my sources, eh?" The voice came to know real physical form. The shadows surrounded him like a blanket of comfort, and the only thing that could be seen were his dark blue eyes. "The Hero of Radasanth is dead. There would surely be dozens of people coming out of the woodwork claiming to be that winged freak. I mean, any sap with a daughter and orange hair could claim that he's Sei Orlouge. It takes a truly brilliant mind to know that he's gone for good."

"What if it is the real Sei Orlouge, though?" Therus said as his look of appeasement began to sink to one of worry, "What if it truly is 'The Dragon of Drantrak', back from the grave to continue to protect his country?" The eyes shifted over to Therus, a grunt being heard from somewhere in that darkness. "Does Sei Orlouge not fight for anything that is just and right?" Therus quickly began to nod his head, "Then you should have nothing to worry about. Just leave it all to me."

Letho
09-24-06, 10:52 AM
This thread has been closed due to inactivity and moved to the Archives. If you wish to reactivate this thread, please PM me or one of the administrators.