PDA

View Full Version : Questions

Sighter Tnailog
10-06-07, 03:34 PM
Have questions about the rules or the rewards? Ask them here!

Addarmus Gaith
10-06-07, 05:37 PM
Will there be events that will allow me to achieve one of my two Althanas goals, to get one of my characters items into the Legendary Items section?

Viola Darkstalker
10-06-07, 08:03 PM
This may sound stupid, or I may have overlooked it, but when do the featured quests start?

Ataraxis
10-06-07, 09:36 PM
For the 'Most Active' segment of the rewards, if a player jumps quests, does the time in between his/her bailing of one quest to his/her entrance in another one count in the 24 hour limit until the -2 points? Or is the time span between two quests considered a moment of rest in which your points are safe from docking?

Also, I'm guessing that you can return to a quest you've left, and do some kind of a back and forth in divisions of 5-10 posts per quest? I wasn't sure if the jumping only applied when a quest went inactive (well, it hints at the fact that the jumping is allowed whenever, but just to be sure).

If the person who wins the 'Most Valuable Player' segment is a level 0, does that count as one level, which means that person gets 750 exp and 1500 gold? If that's true, then a level one would get twice that and a level three, thrice?

Does a player's choice in type of quest influence their weight in the 'Most Valuable Player' segment? As in, would one be more favored for this title by choosing a Modded Quest, insted of a Missions' Board Quest or a Free-form Quest?

Oh, if a current quest just happens to be related to the FQ in any way, it can't be converted to a free-form FQ quest, can it? I've no idea what the FQ is about, but that'd be a big question to me if this happened by some insane fluke. I can guess the answer, though :P

I can't think of anything else anyone would ask, for now. Thanks in advance!

Chiroptera
10-06-07, 09:51 PM
Do we need to register our characters to participate?

What happens if people in the threads go AWOL?

Thanks!

Jasmine
10-06-07, 10:43 PM
"Most Active" goes to the player who was most active. Players get 5 points for each post and lose 2 points for every 24-hour period in which they do not post. You will only be forgiven missing a post in this period if the post in question would have been a double.

So does that mean there's no specific posting order? Or does it mean that everyone gets penalized 2 points because of one person not posting and causing them to miss the 24 hour interval in which they have to post?

Ataraxis
10-06-07, 11:08 PM
I'm thinking the last part of that note means that as long as someone posts after one of yours, you can post again. So no point loss if a day after your post, no one has replied. Though I could be wrong, and it still doesn't answer the question of posting order, so I'd like to know too!

Sighter Tnailog
10-07-07, 11:58 AM
Questions answered in order of the asking!

Addarmus

If what you do in the FQ fulfills the requirement of the legendary items of Althanas thread, then yes, you can get one of your items in there.

Viola Darkstalker

Chapter 1 begins on Sunday, October 21st.

Ataraxis

Please see my new rule regarding points in the rules thread. The 24-hour rule has been scrapped.

Yes, you can jump between any number of threads, regardless of their inactivity. For example, say your character is marshalling troops for the defense of Eluriand. There might be three groups in three places, and you need to run between the three on a regular basis.

Level 0 counts as Level 1 for the sake of the special rewards formula.

Your choice of quest will not matter: your creativity in handling the challenges of the FQ premise will. I have already spoken with some people on AIM whose ideas for Free-form quests are "Most Valuable Player" material. Moderated Quests will not always be quests in which everyone can participate, either, but just a few central storylines -- sometimes with a GM and only one other person -- that will help propel the quest forward in time.

If you are currently involved in a quest outside the FQ and would like to make it a free-form part of the FQ, you may request that the thread be moved. You will need to discuss why you want to make the move with the continent writer, though, just to verify that you're moving it for a real reason and not simply because double EXP and GP sounds like a good deal.

Jasmine

If your GM decides on a posting order, then yes. If not, then no. Otherwise, please see the new rules regarding activity points in the rules thread.

Breaker
10-07-07, 07:10 PM
Sorry to sound redundant, but I'm confused... can we be in more than one thread per chapter?

Ashiakin
10-07-07, 09:57 PM
Well, it depends. You cannot be in more than one FQ thread per chapter with the same character at the same time. However, you could be in more than one thread with different characters/accounts. And if you completed a thread with one character, you could start another with that same character. Basically, for the purposes of the FQ, liquid time does not exist.

Breaker
10-07-07, 10:23 PM
Excellent, thank you.

Sighter Tnailog
10-07-07, 11:16 PM
And say, for instance, that you were leading a column of soldiers from Anebrilith to Valinatal, and your route would take you across the route of another questing group. I am perfectly fine with you working it out with that group to have one scene in which the two interact.

Indeed, if you do this, it might be just the sort of thing that we're looking for in a Most Valuable Player!

The criteria for MVP will be largely based on who impresses the judges, and this is how you can do it:

1. Cooperation. Are you cooperating with the principles of the storyline premises and with other groups?

2. Creativity. Are you doing something different?

3. Activity. Are your posts contributing to the storyline in a timely fashion? The best posts are worth nothing if you don't get them out quickly.

4. Unique contribution. Are you contributing to the storyline in a unique fashion?

This last one is very important. For example, if everyone on Althanas seems to be in some sort of free-form quest to slay the ultimate evil, but nobody seems to be taking the initiative and actually joining up with said bad guy, you might be rewarded for choosing to take the unorthodox path. Or if everyone is trying to loot a city, but nobody seems to be participating in other important missions board quests, you might find a special "niche" being to do the dirty work required to defend a city from disaster.

In fact, I am adding a new special reward to our list. Go check it out in a few minutes!

Caden Law
10-08-07, 02:04 PM
1) Would it be possible to have a late entry?

2) Is there any significant overlap between the two quests?

3) Has news of the Salvar mess reached the rest of the world yet, or is it being put under some sort of blackout? Probably a stupid question to ask, but heck >_>

Ashiakin
10-08-07, 02:56 PM
1) People are going to be able to register every chapter, so even if you miss this one doesn't mean you should give up all hope. Nonetheless, if you talked to someone GMing a thread about wanting to enter late and they were okay with it, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. You'll be able to do freeform quests at anytime, too. So the answer is essentially yes, but it's preferable that you register on time.

2) Yes, there is definitely going to be. They'll be fairly self-contained in the beginning of chapter one, but by the end of it they'll be moving more toward overlap--Alerar and Corone will eventually come into the mix.

3) Consider that the events posted have not happened yet and will not happen until the day that the FQ starts. The descriptions are just there for the convenience of people who might be interested in participating.

Mutant_Lorenor
10-09-07, 12:41 PM
This might seem like an odd question but can the GM participate in GMing more than just the particular quest he's assigned to? I know I'd like to be in as many quests as I possibly can be in and complete as much as possible within the month's alloted time. Let me know the answer to this. Also if its possible I'd like to have 2 partners for my quest thank you.

Sighter Tnailog
10-09-07, 05:24 PM
Provided the GM does not violate the ban on being in more than one place within the parameters of the FQ, yes. Just make sure you swing by your uppers what you're up to to make sure nothing weird is happening.

GMs are also compensated for their work, so if rewards are an issue, keep that in mind.

Mutant_Lorenor
10-09-07, 05:37 PM
Thank you bro I'll keep that in mind once the FQ starts, I appreciate the information.

Ataraxis
10-20-07, 12:54 PM
I was wondering if the events in Raiaera and those in Salvar happen at the exact same time, or if there are weeks or even months in between. I was hoping to jump from a Raiaera FQ Quest to a Free-form Salvar one, but considering the restraints of liquid time, it sounds like an unlikely possibility.

And just a precision on liquid time, if you finish one quest, and only then start another one (both in the FQ), does the second one need to follow the first one, or can it happen before?

Ashiakin
10-20-07, 09:06 PM
Yeah, the liquid time restrictions apply to both of the available regions for this round. So you can only be in one thread in either. When you finish one, you can certainly switch regions. You could have your second quest be a prequel, if you wanted, if you were absolutely sure your chronology wasn't going to mess anyone else up.

Graphic Description
10-20-07, 11:04 PM
A bit of an obvious question, but I know almost nothing about the FQ:

How do I sign up, and is it too late to do so?

Ashiakin
10-21-07, 01:37 PM
If you want to do one of our official GMed threads, take a look at this page: http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?p=86177#post86177 and contact the leader or look at the recruitment thread. At this point it's unlikely you could find a place in one of them. Still, no need to worry. There are still the mission board quests and the freeform quests. If you want to do one of those, feel free to start it on your own and recruit for it however you like. As long as you follow the stated rules and premise, no signing up is needed.

Sighter Tnailog
10-21-07, 03:57 PM
Another note on time -- whether you keep all your threads in "chronology" is up to you. For all we care, your character could finish one thread in Salvar and then have another thread in Raiaera, with no explanation on how they got there. You can do prequels, sequels, provided you are never acting as though you are in two places at once.

As the FQ progresses, we will be posting when particular events are happening in places and what events are overlapping.

Be on guard, everything starts later today!

Jasmine
10-23-07, 02:00 AM
i have a question... what time of year is all this starting? I just wanna know so I can put it in with the opener for the Salvic mission I'm doing with Beauty.

Sighter Tnailog
10-23-07, 10:22 AM
On the cusp of autumn -- summer giving way to fall.

Jasmine
10-23-07, 01:23 PM
okie dokies then, thank you

Call me J
11-25-07, 06:00 PM
Are there any rules against solo questing in the FQ?

Ashiakin
11-25-07, 06:10 PM
Nope, that's fine.

Sighter Tnailog
11-25-07, 07:44 PM
It's fine.

But I discourage it unless absolutely necessary.

Earthwalker
11-26-07, 02:14 AM
So I'm about to do some solo work on mission number 5, with the train - mainly because that one is really the only one that Leander would do, and no one else seems interested. Is there anything you want to let me know about before I get started? Also, would it be possible to either get a briefing of what would happen, or even better, get someone to work with in terms of running the "Horrible events" that befall my character as he attempts to get his message through to Ettenmire? From what I understand, there were some rather specific ideas that were developed around some of these missions, and I don't want to accidentally step on any of them.

Thanks!

Ashiakin
11-26-07, 08:32 PM
I'm sorry I never responded to your PM, Earthwalker. I got it late one night and was too tired to respond and then just forgot about it.

It sounds to me like you have a good enough idea of the mission to get started. Basically, there are trains traveling from mountain strongholds in Salvar and heading for Ettermire. They'll be carrying passengers with info from the King to the Aleraran government about the civil war, which the Church does not want Alerar to get. The tracks will head down from the mountains into farmlands and riverlands for a while, then cross over into Alerar. Basically, the trains will be attacked by pro-Church forces (priests, armed peasants supporting the priests, and all sorts of tamed monsters the Church has under its control.) You can be a passenger on the train working for the King, trying to get to Knife's Edge, and defending the train from attack. Or you can work for the Church and attack a train.

If you have anything specific that you want to do and are unsure of, feel free to ask about it. If you have a good/creative ideas, they're more than likely fine.

Sighter Tnailog
11-26-07, 09:39 PM
And just a note about specific ideas that you don't want to step on...

Please, please, please don't feel obliged to stick to anyone's preconceived ideas. Boldly innovate, make up your own way, ignore canon. In fact, I will explicitly instruct all judges to be extraordinarily lenient when judging FQ threads when it comes to the idea of inter-thread continuity.

You literally cannot mess up the storyline. While I'd like you, for instance, to try NOT to assassinate super powerful NPCs without asking first, if you do, so be it. Either we'll decide we liked what you did and write it in, or we'll pretend like all you did was killed a body double or something like that. But we won't be penalizing ANY threads for going "beyond canon."

So be audacious!

Call me J
11-26-07, 09:45 PM
How does this apply to Xem'zund? Would using him (I can understand killing him would be excessive) be alright also, or should we talk to you about that?

Ashiakin
11-26-07, 10:02 PM
I believe you'd need to talk to him about that.

Call me J
11-26-07, 10:09 PM
Thats what I figured. I thought we should get an official statement on it though.

Sighter Tnailog
11-27-07, 06:46 PM
NPCs that actually have profiles in the NPC forum should be considered as available by courtesy. That is to say, ask first.

But like I said, I don't care what you do. If you want to write a thread where you assassinate Xem'zund, do it. Unless you really wow me, I won't be putting it in the official news and the quest would probably so stretch credulity that it wouldn't score very well and I would then probably do something to note how it didn't actually happen -- but I honestly won't STOP anyone from writing the thread they want to write.

Breaker
12-03-07, 03:03 PM
Uh... when does round one end?

EDIT: Also, when we complete a quest, do we submit it for judging in the normal way?

Rayse Valentino
12-07-07, 05:54 AM
EDIT: Also, when we complete a quest, do we submit it for judging in the normal way?

I'm going to be submitting one pretty soon under the assumption that we are to do so in the normal way, so if anyone running this shindig wants to answer this in a negative way now would be the time.

Sighter Tnailog
12-07-07, 01:07 PM
If your thread is one that is flowing into and between linked threads for a Moderated Quest, please refrain from submitting the thread for judging. If your quest begins independently but then flows into an MQ, please observe the same rule.

If not, you may submit the thread as normal, but please let us know in the comments that the thread is within the FQ.

EDIT: I anticipate Chapter One closing sometime in early-to-mid January.

Rayse Valentino
12-07-07, 09:43 PM
Ah, I understand. Since I'm dividing my thing into parts and it hasn't joined with any MQ threads, I can submit them until they do merge with an FQ thread, at which point I won't submit it. I doubt that would happen, but it's just a hypothetical.

Also, is my thread the first to have a completion? (although it's just a Part, but it's also the largest thread) Woohoo for progress!

Sighter Tnailog
12-08-07, 12:26 AM
More or less. There has been one already, but I'm trying to decide whether to have it judged normally or as a "merging" thread.

Ataraxis
12-09-07, 04:10 PM
I know that transferring quests into the FQ is allowed, but I just want to know if a specific one is eligible.

Can The Architect's quest with Alberdyne Cormyr, The Day Radasanth Sank, be moved to the FQ if he uses it as an introduction to how the House of Sora will enter the fray in the first chapter?

Sighter Tnailog
12-10-07, 02:54 PM
That's a good quest...wish I hadn't been so busy with other things and could have finished that quest back when I joined it as it was first going around.

But I'm afraid, with the current structure of the chapter, there's not a lot of room for it within the current forums, as they are open for only Raiaera and Salvar.

However, there is no reason why we can't still use that thread as one of the reasons for the introduction of Corone's involvement in the FQ come chapter 2. Is the quest finished yet?

Ataraxis
12-10-07, 04:20 PM
it is good, and also one post away from being completed. Well, I'll see if he'd rather submit it the moment it's done or wait until the next chapter! Thanks a lot!

Skie and Avery
01-10-08, 10:55 AM
I had a question about the judging process. When a thread is finished within the Chapter time limit, is the double EXP rewarded with the judging or after the chapter ends, by FQ overseers?

Call me J
01-10-08, 11:24 AM
Within the judging. If you've had a thread judged that didn't get double EXP, please PM an EXP mod with a link and they will take care of it.

Lodekai
02-22-08, 05:09 PM
Two quick questions:

1) This still going on?

2) Lodekai was created by a necromancer with a powerful and as yet unnamed master. Can that master be Xem'zûnd?

Sighter Tnailog
02-22-08, 05:17 PM
1) Chapter 1 has ended, Chapter 2 will "begin" soon. You may still begin quests on your own during this interim; the forums are not being shut down. If you finish a quest during the time between the close of Chapter 1 and the opening of Chapter 2, it will be considered for special rewards as Chapter 2 closes. Chapter 2 merely means that it will be when the "official" storyline kicks off again, but we're trying to be pretty loose with the storyline and let players embellish it at will, so...

2) Yes, of course! It's always good to have players "playing" with the canon of Althanas. That sounds like a very good idea, one you could go ahead and start with today.

Lodekai
02-22-08, 05:21 PM
Ah, good. This looks like a fun way to play with my little undead. Is there any chance I could have my solo (http://althanas.com/world/showthread.php?p=105344) moved to part of the FQ? Since, now that I have approval to play with Xem'zûnd to some extent I can have it contain him issuing orders for the Lodekai creature to be used in the fighting.

Sighter Tnailog
02-22-08, 05:39 PM
Done. Just make sure you know that Xem'zund is currently leading an assault on Eluriand, and so if he does speak with you, it's likely to be through a surrogate puppet or some sort of vision of himself.

Lodekai
02-22-08, 05:42 PM
Thanks! And seeing as Lodekai's maker is just a two-bit necromancer with a far fetched bit of research to be done, I don't see him getting anything more than a "phone call" anyway but thanks for the head's up.

Cyrus the virus
03-06-08, 04:17 PM
I am ignorant and too lazy to search for the answer. When does round (part?) 2 begin?

Ashiakin
03-06-08, 04:55 PM
Tentatively, March 25th. It'll be around the end of the month, though. Maybe a few days off from that.

Zook Murnig
03-06-08, 05:13 PM
Will there be information for Part 2 posted before that date? Such as which regions are included, and what's going on in them?

Ashiakin
03-07-08, 01:25 PM
There will be, yes. We're going to post a summary of the events of chapter one, some chapter two starting info, and missions for chapter two. The main focus of chapter two is going to be Alerar but there will be major storylines running in Salvar and Raiaera as well. If you want to run a minor storyline in another region, we can probably work it out.

And if anyone's curious, we're planning on Corone being the focus of chapter 3, which we are currently planning to be the final chapter in the FQ.

Rayse Valentino
03-07-08, 02:37 PM
I really hope there are some significant time gaps because a whole mess of characters did various things between chapter 1 and 2, due to their extremely lengthy times. Also, get on AIM sometimes you jerk.

Ashiakin
03-07-08, 02:45 PM
We're planning on there being a one month time gap.

Haha, sorry. I'll be able to get on AIM more when I'm back in the US (the end of the month.)

Breaker
04-11-08, 08:55 PM
Were the special rewards (highest score, most active, exemplary contributor and all that) for the first chapter ever distributed? Just curious, because if they were I can't find the thread.

Bloodrose
04-11-08, 10:45 PM
I don't think they have been - at least not to my knowledge.

Jasmine
04-12-08, 03:02 AM
Are there going to be Chapter 2 specific missions?

Caden Law
04-20-08, 06:06 PM
Are there going to be Chapter 2 specific missions?
Sorry, but it's a question that bears repeating. Can't speak for anyone else, but I've been stuck waiting for some kind of General Framework or something >_>

A Nony Mouse
04-20-08, 06:57 PM
Agreed... will we be getting more specific info?

Caden Law
05-04-08, 01:53 AM
Considering that it's been about two weeks now with no answer, I'm guessing this Chapter is basically open season.

Guess this means just don't rock the boat too much. Which is all the more reason to blow holes in it with a machine gun :D

Raelyse
05-04-08, 01:56 AM
In Maddy's absence, I proclaim MYSELF the new leader. Here is the plot:

The war is over. Raelyse has defeated Xem'Zund and renames Raiaera Raelysera. Part 2 of the Featured Quest will detail each and every one of you being enslaved as builders for a 100,000 foot pyramid bearing Raelyse's visage in Eluriand. It will be so big that anyone on Althanas will be able to see it at all times and magically enchanted so that you can never look away.

Get cracking.

Caden Law
05-04-08, 02:01 AM

The war is over. Raelyse has defeated Xem'Zund and renames Raiaera Raelysera. Part 2 of the Featured Quest will detail each and every one of you being enslaved as builders for a 100,000 foot pyramid bearing Raelyse's visage in Eluriand. It will be so big that anyone on Althanas will be able to see it at all times and magically enchanted so that you can never look away.

Get cracking.
*BLAM.*

Actual answer, please? :)

Raelyse
05-04-08, 02:07 AM
You say that now... but what if I make you Pharoah of Raelyse's left eye?

Caden Law
05-04-08, 02:11 AM
You say that now... but what if I make you Pharoah of Raelyse's left eye?...hm...

A Nony Mouse
05-04-08, 11:01 AM

Get cracking.

Alright, thanks! I'll get my quest up soon :P

Slave labor might make for some repetitive RPs.

Arsène
05-04-08, 11:03 AM
I'd ask to be viceroy of Raelyse's penis, but I'm afraid it's too little territory to rule over.

The Bloody Son
06-17-08, 04:15 PM
Uh... so I'm assuming this is dead weight on the forum?

Purge, anyone?

Arsène
06-17-08, 05:37 PM
Just because the people running this thing haven't been around doesn't mean players aren't taking part in it. Let's let them finish those quests and then decide whether this is "dead weight."

Caden Law
06-17-08, 07:10 PM
That the Staff is away is just more reason to fuck around with things. You'd be amazed at how much freedom there is in building up the enemy when the enemy's primary players aren't around to stare over your shoulder, wag fingers and go tsk tsk at you. D:

Lord Anglekos
02-21-09, 12:42 PM
That the Staff is away is just more reason to fuck around with things. You'd be amazed at how much freedom there is in building up the enemy when the enemy's primary players aren't around to stare over your shoulder, wag fingers and go tsk tsk at you. D:

Oh, SO true.
Anyways, my question here is mainly for Caden Law, since he wrote this. (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=17336) However, if anyone else knows the answer to my question(s?), feel free to laugh at me and call me a n00b.

The Bladesingers: Even though my character does not wield bardic magic, he does have magic of his own, in a sense. Can he still join them? And if he can, how?

The Rangers: Same question, save the magic part.

Thats all for the moment. I'll save the one about the Uber-Weapon of Adamantium Monstrosity for later.

EDIT: Nevermind.

Bloodrose
03-05-09, 03:22 PM
It actually came up in a thread over in the ToC, but I figured I'd bring it over here just to confirm.

Was the gold from the FQ Chapter 1 rewards ever added to the accounts of those individuals who earned said rewards? There seems to be some confusion about whether or not it ever was.

Taskmienster
03-05-09, 03:39 PM
I will be looking into that as soon as possible to remove any doubts. If it wasn't I'll add it as I go as well.

Abomination
03-14-09, 05:42 AM
Yeah, I have a question. What is Xem'zund doing right now? I sort of want to assimilate him already, but it seems that nobody ever does anything with him. I don't want to do anything major, just a short fight with him and perhaps another important party being present. But since the dude is so ambiguous and there is just NO information about his current whereabouts/activities, I can't do anything.

Cyrus the virus
03-14-09, 01:19 PM
You could always have Xem'zund be on the field of battle somewhere, as he apparently gets his hands dirty on occasion.

Paladin
04-07-09, 04:29 PM
Not reading through 8 pages so I apologize if my question has already been asked. Regarding Salvar's war what lands/cities/ect are in control of the Church? Of the Monarchy? Any of them neutral?

Taskmienster
04-07-09, 08:04 PM
Of course a few can remain neutral. I'm in a thread that has one that hasn't been taken over by either side.

Consider the war something akin to a civil war during the medieval ages in Europe. Sure there is a king and dominant religion, fighting against each other, but for the most part the feudal lands are almost independent of the rules of the king. Basically they are like colonies within the country, though both sides undoubtedly control the important ones, they probably won't have taken over all of them yet. Neutral area's are still there, but it wouldn't be likely something like a port town, or one that has access to numerous resources.

I'd suggest though, that if you would like to have it set in a town like that, that you should take into consideration that if it isn't controlled yet, since it would be a prime location to control for either faction, that you give sensible reasoning behind why they still aren't controlled. Such as a good tactical advantage to keep troops out, or the resources aren't well known, stuff like that.

Christoph
04-08-09, 11:32 AM
What Task said. That, and Paladin contacted me on AIM, so I was able to explain things in more detail and specificity.

Jericho
05-19-09, 03:30 AM
Here's a question to which I'm fairly certain I already know the answer.

The two-player minimum on Mission Board quests is in fact a two-player minimum, yes? That is, if I have two accounts who will serve splendidly, I still need to find somebody else to play along?

KOA
05-19-09, 11:21 AM
No, I think you can get away just playing to accounts for the one quest.

Taskmienster
05-19-09, 12:50 PM
"Two Player" is two characters in the thread. It can't just be one character solo'ing the mission. If you have two characters that would fit well in a thread then it's normally fine. For the FQ it's encouraged to participate with other people, since it's a site wide thing that's affecting the canon. However, you can use two of your own characters, so long as you remember that if you do that then those characters are confined to one thread at a time within the FQ forum. Liquid time is in affect outside of the FQ only.

Jericho
05-19-09, 12:58 PM
Eeeexcellent. Thanks!