PDA

View Full Version : Antioch.

Mutant_Lorenor
10-09-07, 05:41 PM
I've been pondering some Antioch questions cause I remember that there was some sort of special smiths living there. Does Antioch still exist? And if so does it need a Continent Writer?

Seth_Rahl
10-09-07, 06:06 PM
Antioch???????

Can someone fill me in on this? I don't believe I was around when this existed.

Ashiakin
10-09-07, 06:18 PM
Antioch was a former Althanas region. There are no plans to bring it back as a forum or to add any new forums within the foreseeable future. However, it still "exists" in the sense that you can role-play there in Other Regions.

Mutant_Lorenor
10-09-07, 09:35 PM
Thanks bro I have some ideas I wanted to try concerning Antioch. I appreciate the thumb's up. I'll get started on an Antioch project soon after the FQ ends in the Other Regions area of course.

~~Pavel

Melancor
10-10-07, 06:43 PM
Mistriously enough there is no existing recond of antioch in the Althanian almanacs; only reference to it.
And since I am new it bothers me; why isn't such a crucial region deleted from Althanian records? It just seems to talk of it as a far away land where a bunch of things hapened and somwhow affected Althanas.

I love that name by the way... Antioch... spiffy

Ashiakin
10-10-07, 07:36 PM
Just curious, where is it still listed? If it still appears somewhere as being a major region, that's something that needs to be taken care of.

Atzar
10-10-07, 07:48 PM
Antioch is the name of a real-world city. That was part of the reason it never had widespread approval; the name wasn't original.

This was before my time, but I do know that much about it.

AdventWings
10-10-07, 09:30 PM
The original writer of Antioch is still lurking about, just so you know. The fabled Lavinian Ale also originated there, Nya~

If you'd like more information on the region, just ask your friendly neighborhood Hex mage/Thief Extraordinaire Seth Dahlios. ;)

Cyrus the virus
10-10-07, 11:18 PM
why isn't such a crucial region deleted from Althanian records?

Read this question and tell me why you think it should be o_O Antioch existed, it can't just be wiped out of Althanas' history. It still exists in the Althanas canon, we just don't have a subforum for it.

Max Dirks
10-10-07, 11:53 PM
Put simply, Lornius became Antioch, which became Lornius again.

In more complicated terms, Dirks was the Lornius writer, got promoted, so Dissinger became Antioch writer. Dissinger got promoted (and later wrote a new continent). I fought a war, and Lornius was put back on the map over Antioch.

That is the story of Antioch. For all intensive purposes though, they can be two separate regions played in the other regions forum if you'd like.

AdventWings
10-11-07, 12:07 AM
I thought Antioch was somewhere up north by Salvar? *Me makes a confused face as he looks through the info on Antioch in the Archives*

EDIT: I stand corrected. :p

Call me J
12-02-07, 01:26 PM
*sighs* Matthias is the one you want to talk to for Antioch, not Dissinger. And its just north of Scara Brae.

Mathias
12-02-07, 01:35 PM
Yeah. I was the one who drafted up Antioch, back when I was a moderator. It didn't pan out well, and definitely didn't get interest piqued like I hoped it would. Dissinger and I collaborated, and we merged Lavinya and Antioch's history, so they were sibling nations. After I left Althanas, I believe he took over the duty of writing for the continent, but interest never really picked up for it.

Thus, Antioch ended up being removed as an actual forum and just placed in parts of the history.

I was actually thinking, recently, about eventually doing some quests that wrapped up the little story I had going on there... hmh.

But, anyway, that's what happened to Antioch.

(And Atzar, you can't fault a name for being unoriginal. You can look at a lot of Althanas characters and see where their inspiration came from, either directly, closely, or spiritually.)

Sighter Tnailog
12-02-07, 02:23 PM
Lornius died because its original continent writer couldn't ever post in the amazing thread he had planned for the opening of the region.

Antioch developed ENTIRELY separately, done by Mathias (who at the time was Fox). It had some fairly compelling elements of storyline and imagery, and generally was well received except for a few cosmetic elements (such as the name, Antioch, being both a real-world city and a StarCraft place). And while I think you CAN fault "Althanas canon" for being too close to reality or another realm, I think that there is still some fairness and leeway for something that is "inspired" by something else.

Eventually, Dissinger became writer when Fox moved on, but eventually Antioch was scrapped due to issues of forum activity and Dissinger's own retiring from the mod force...at least I think. I can't quite recall why Antioch was taken off in particular, it may have been sometime when I was inactive.