PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Morendale Goes To Town

Elijah_Morendale
10-10-07, 11:47 PM
((Solo.))

The journey out of Knife's Edge was a long, uneventful one. I made the week-long trek alone--with Nadia constantly by my side, of course. My fictional companion had been tense over the past month or so, coinciding with the day I met Christopher coming off the ferry from Corone. She acted strangely, often glaring at him whenever he was around. Several times she wanted to hurt the poor guy, which took some swift talking on my part to get her to lay off.

I was starting to get worried. I had never seen her get this angry; I tried several times to figure out what got up her ass, but she only lashed out at me. It was after she intentionally killed an innocent patron and injured several more in a tavern in Knife's Edge that I decided to move on. I bid the chef farewell as I slung Nadia's katana over my shoulders and skipped town.

And yet, the further and further we got from the city and Chris, the more Nadia lightened up. After a few days of just the two of us on the road back to my hometown, she was her cheerful yet twisted self. I figured that now was a good time to ask her again about what the deal was; why she was so pissed off.

"So," I intelligently began as my footsteps crunched against the dirt and gravel road, "what's the deal with last month?"

The imaginary redhead turned slightly, eyeballing me inquisitively. "What do you mean by that?"

"I dunno'. You've been acting strange, especially when Christoph was around." Nadia's bright green eyes narrowed at the sound of his name. "It was as if you were getting jealous that I actually made a friend."

She was silent for several hours, facing forward and refusing to even look at me. Finally, as the sun was setting on the barren, frozen lands of Salvar, she responded. "It's like this, chief. You need me, and I need you. I feel as if I'm breaking some sort of fourth wall rule by saying this, but you see me because you're one lonely son of a bitch. You created me so you could have a friend, someone to make you feel wanted." Nadia paused for a moment, trying to think of something else to say. "But... If I let you make friends, then you'll need me less and less... And eventually, I'll disappear..." Her voice was beginning to crack.

Nadia turned to me, and in the fading sunlight, I could see tears streaking down her face. "I don't want to die, Elijah." She rushed over and buried her head in my shoulder, sobbing uncontrollably. As she pleaded to herself, I couldn't help but to understand how she felt, even if she was a part of me to begin with. As sad as it is to say, she was right--Nadia has been there for me more than anyone real, and I enjoyed her company, despite all the trouble she has gotten me into in the past. My heart was sinking at the thought of losing something as important as her friendship, even if it was just a figment of my imagination.

Slowly, I brought my hands up to her head, running my fingers through her messy crimson hair in an effort to comfort her. "Don't worry, we're never going to lose each other," I quietly whispered. Holy damn, I'm so happy that there's nobody else on this road today... Because if I saw some random stranger cradling air, I'd turn them in to the crazy house.