PDA

View Full Version : Step 1: First you....

RumpleGrumblePuss
10-13-07, 12:05 AM
((Closed))

I stared up at the buildings that towered over me, once moment they were far away the next they seemed close. I shook my head to clear and settle my vision, for the moment the building stayed in place. It was on clumsy feet, I walked the streets of Eluriand, searching for one of the schools. I vaguely wondered when I would become accustomed to my body and move with the contemptuous easy that cat moved with. More importantly, I wondered when I would gain full motor control over the fangs that rested along the roof of my mouth and the long fluffy tail that if I did not grab and placed over my shoulder would drag the ground behind me like a dead thing.

The sheer size of the city and the many of the buildings within surprised me. This was by far the largest city I had seen since arriving in Althanas. My thoughts wandered as I wondered just how long I had been in Althanas, surely no more than a year. The exact amount of time eluded me. It did not matter, I no longer really cared, no longer really longed for the home I once had on Earth. Jennifer was long gone; I was a different person now, both literally and figuratively.

Edged away from thoughts of what I had become I focused on the road before me. I had no wish to recall the painful and traumatic night of my change from human to my current form. With the faintest recall, I experienced an echo of what I felt that night. It was still enough to crush me to the earth and scream myself hoarse in the moments it lasted. I was careful to avoid anything that would trigger a memory.

I vaguely wondered when I would become accustomed to my body and move with the contemptuous easy that cat moved with. More importantly, I wondered when I would gain full motor control over the fangs that rested along the roof of my mouth and the long fluffy tail that if I did not grab and placed over my shoulder would drag the ground behind me like a dead thing.

Avoiding those around me I followed the few scholarly looking types to the inner walls of Eluriand, there I came upon one of the four schools. I studied the buildings and looked at what I could see of the nearest school, which wasn’t much. Still outside I froze half a dozen paces from the entrance. I examined the walls, the murals and fresco. My gaze jumped from the beautiful shinning stone of the walls and buildings to person to person. While the majority of those I was were elven there were a few humans and the occasional person that I categorized as ‘other’.

Humbled by the atmosphere and the normality of what I sought I almost turned back. Almost walked away from one of the greatest opportunities of my life. Almost.

Through nerves and excitement, I lost what little composure I clung to in my attempt to not gape and gawk like the tourist I was. The breathy, multi-tonal noise that was now what passed for a squeak, escaped me. I could feel my ghostly skin flush until it was the soft pink shade of the inside of a mollusk.

“Do that again.” I jumped at the quiet order, startled at the sudden voice speaking to me. I looked behind me, wobbling as once again, I tried to move and stand like the human I no longer was. I looked at the elven woman that had walked up behind me while I stood, and partly down at the ground behind her, looking around like an idiotic tourist. Geez, if I were a normal tourist I would have at least been walking while I did a impression of a landed fish. I thought with more than a little chagrin.

“Do what again?” I fought the breathy, floating tones the transformation had caused. My hands clasped and worried the hanging end of my tail, the clawed tips of my fingers sinking into the soft white fur. Once every few minutes I felt my tail twitch, it gave me hope that I’d be able to move it eventually.

“That, noise, that came from you.” I looked up at the woman, meeting her eyes for a moment before looking down once more. Suppressing a grimace, I ‘squeaked’ again. Out of the corner of my eye, I caught the woman nodding to herself. Curious, I glanced back up at her. She caught my gaze with her light green eyes.

RumpleGrumblePuss
10-13-07, 12:08 AM
“Are you here for one of the schools?" I had to lean in a little closer to hear her soft voice, when I nodded she continued. "Which school will you entering?” I blinked owlishly, I hadn’t really given any thought to which school I wanted to enter. I knew which school was which and what each one taught, but I did not have my starting point planned.

“Considering your feet led you here and not to one of the other schools, perhaps you’ll enter this one?” I looked up at the spire and the buildings situated around it. The walkways connecting the buildings gave me a slight pause. Smiling slightly, careful to teeth my teeth covered, I bowed my head in a polite agreement.

“I plan on eventually attending all four schools. Who am I to argue with Fate over what school I attend first?” I found myself being led, nearly dragged towards the building. For a second I entertained the idea of running, the thought that any ways was so gun-ho to have me in their school made me nervous. I just know I’m going to blow up something with my first spell.

“Let’s get you registered. Also, let me be the first to welcome you to the school of Aglarlin. I am Itarildë Vanimedlë…”

“The Head Mistress of this school." I interrupted her, when she turned to look at me I just shook my head and gave her a closed lipped smile. "I am, aware of each school, what knowledge they teach and the names of the Headmasters and mistresses. I also know a bit about the history of Raiaera itself.”

“You are not from Raiaera.”

“No ma’am, I am not. Raiaera is the place where I first arrived though. The story of my origin is a long and strange tale, one I’m sure take up time you don’t have to spare. I’m fairly certain it would bore you to tears.” Again, I gave her a polite, closed lipped smile in exchange for the perplexed look she gave me. At last, with my signature, I was enrolled.

“Well," The headmistress looked at the paper I had just signed. A brow rose for a moment as her eyes skimmed over the single name I written several times. "Kahlina. You will be directed to a room, classes begin a hour past dawn.” I nodded. [i] I’m beginning to feel like one of those bobble headed things back on Earth.[i/] The particular thought killed the urge I had to bounce on my toes in happiness.

“Kahlina?” The headmistress said, using my name as the question itself.

“An acquaintance of mine renamed me after my arrival. I know what it means; it was and still is fitting.” I smiled, inside my mouth, my tongue probed at the fangs that lay along the top of my mouth for what seemed the thousandth time. The headmistress nodded. She gave me a smile before she walked away. Moments later a elven man walked up to me, I stared as he looked me over.

“Do I meet your approval?” I asked, the venom laced sarcasm unhidden. I would have thought that anyone addressed in the tone I used would have felt at least a little contrite. The grin I received made me blink in surprise for a moment. I frowned at him.

“I’m supposed to show you around the grounds and to your quarters. My name is Lólindir.”

RumpleGrumblePuss
10-14-07, 01:50 AM
The sun lurked a hand-span above the horizon by the time I was finally shown to the small room I would be in while I was a student. I firmly shut the door after a polite ‘Thank you’, cutting of Lólindir’s words. I hear him sputter out several more word, the indignant tone the only thing that was clear through the warping of the wood, I smiled.

Upon inspection, the room had a small chest for personal belongings a bed and a desk, it lacked a lived in feel. Undoubtedly, it would remain that way, I thought with some amusement as I eyed the backpack I set on the floor by the bed. The two large windows that dominated the walls let in light and the cool evening breeze. I pushed the partly opened shutters and looked out. The view was beautiful, the city spread out before me. In the amber light of the setting sun, everything was touched with a golden glow that softened everything.

The break taking view held my attention, for a moment I swore I heard angels singing in the sunset. The auditory hallucination made me remember stories my grandmother once told me. It was she that had told me in the still golden air of sunset that you could hear the Christian God’s winged children singing. For a long time I sat in front of the window, looking out over Eluriand. It was different, yet at the same time familiar. I found myself missing the loud, polluted, over crowded cities of my home world.

Rather than wallow in self-pity, I forced myself to close the shutters. After considering my backpack for a moment I decided against unpacking it, kicked it to rest against the wall and turned in for the night. Worries about tomorrow’s first class tried to press in as I lay on the small bed, staring up at the unfamiliar ceiling. The sight of a ceiling and not the stars I was beginning to memorize seemed more than a little odd to me. Growling to my self I shoved everything to the back of my mind, I could think another day.

RumpleGrumblePuss
10-14-07, 06:29 PM
Despite the fact that I had gotten rather used to the first light of day waking me up, dawn still came far too early. Groggy, I rolled over, trying to escape the beams of bright light that snuck into the room. A knock, just minutes later pulled me from the half sleep I had managed to slip back into.

“Yes?” I called my voice harsh and growly with sleep.

“Time to get up. Classes are in a hour, they don’t break until mid day or a meal.” I recognized the cheerful voice of Lólindir. This early in the morning and through the door his presence already grated on my nerves. I flopped my head back on the pillow and covered my eyes with an arm. I hate morning people.

“I’ll be out in a moment.” I called after there was another knock. Rolling out of the bed I found the floor a lot closer than I anticipated and I found myself on all fours. I looked over my shoulder as I heard the door creak open, I glared at Lólindir as he stared at me.

“A new form of morning exercise?” He asked, grinning down at me. I hissed at him, the sensation of the fangs that lay hidden in my mouth shifting and dropping startled me.

“Get out! I’ll be out in a minute.” I yelled thickly at Lólindir around my fangs. Carefully I prodded the fangs, poking at them trying to make them shift back into place. Great, there is no way I can possibly speak or sing around them like this. Hastily, I dressed in my normal clothing and began the process of brushing out my hip length white hair. The occasional tangle made me winch at the tiny spike of pain across my scalp.

“You can come in now.” I called at another knock, this one seemed rather timid. I noted with a bit of surprised pleasure that my fangs had shifted to their resting position of their own accord. If things keep moving on own then there must be hope for full motor control. I just need to set up a regiment. I chuckled under my breath at the thought of undergoing physical therapy to learn how to move my tail and fangs.

A slightly subdued looking Lólindir peeked in around the opening door. He stepped in and held the door open slightly. I noted that he stayed near the door, as far away from me as the room would allow.

“Sorry about that, I’m not that much of a morning person.” I offered him a slight smile. I started working on the long silky fluff of my tail. As I worked out the few tangles I wondered what I could do to prevent more tangles while I slept. Hold still, will you? I caught the twitching end of my tail and brushed out the last tangle. Tossing the brush on the bed, I stood and stretched. I twisted and contorted my body until I felt the muscles pulled delightfully. It tickled me to no end that I could push my body a tiny bit further than I could have when I was human. I was positive that given time I could make a professional contortionist jealous.

When I finally looked back up at Lólindir the expression on his face made me laugh. I watched his eyes follow my tail as I had to pick it up and lay it over my shoulder. Still chuckling, I smoothed down the ruffled fur then wagged the tip at him.

“Did you think it was decorative?” I asked, drifting towards the door. Lólindir opened the door, letting me step through the door before he followed me out into the hall.

“I wasn’t sure what it was, other than a beautiful fur.”

“Down boy, it’s mine and it’s attached to me. Besides, flattery will get you nowhere." I replied tartly, then smiled. "Or, it could get you everything.”

“Kahlina, may I ask what you are?” I glanced at Lólindir out of the corner of my eye and thought on how to reply to the question. It was not until we neared wherever it was that Lólindir was taking me for breakfast that I came up with a reply.

“I’m just special, that’s all.” Inwardly I was cringing at the clichéd reply but it was all I was willing to say for now. I sat a small table off the side with a cup of water. Lólindir sat down across from me, a minute later. The smell of cooked meat was both tantalizing and repulsive. I could feel my nose wrinkling at the scent, the sensation felt odd. Most of the time I ignored the fluting across the bridge of my nose until something called my attention to it.

“You should eat. It’s a long time to mid day break.” I shook my head, placing my glass squarely on the table in front of me.

“I am not hungry." I raised a hand to stave off the comment I knew was coming. "I don’t need to eat but every few days now. I will talk to whomever it is I need to later about my dining habits. Please, finish your meal. I would like to get to the class on time.”

RumpleGrumblePuss
01-09-08, 09:10 PM
I guess my stare as I watched Lólindir eat unnerved him or that was my guess as I watched him shovel his food into his mouth with all of the grace of a five-year-old. Wistfully I thought back to the months before my change and the hard candies that had some how managed to accompany me to Althanas. I could remember the sweet sharp taste of peppermint clearly and for a moment I was tempted to return to my room and retrieve one of the few I had left. That thought died as I abruptly recalled learning the hard way that processed and cooked foods tasted vile to my new pallet.

In silence I followed Lólindir down several halls, absently noting the path he took so I could venture out on my own. Voices and laughter spilled out of the room Lólindir walked into. I paused, suddenly nervous as if I had stepped back in time and was thrust back into my high school days. For a long moment I hesitated, staring through the door. Sighing I slapped some steel into my spine and shoved a bored, blank expression on my face. I strolled through the door as if I had done it a thousand times before and had every right too. Display fear or weakness and anyone could pick up on it. Even the most civilized of people are nothing more than wolves in sheep’s clothing.

Waving a little at the few watching me I picked a seat that afforded me a view and kept my back to the wall. After a few moments and a longing glance at an empty seat that I guessed was his normal one Lólindir sat beside me.

"Go sit where you normally do. You've gotten me to the class, no need to hold my hand any longer."

"I'm still your guide and I take my duty seriously. I haven't gotten to hold you hand yet, am I to suppose that will come over dinner?" I raised a brow at the grin he shot me.

"Keep dreaming, you'll find it kinder than reality." I glanced at the elven woman and studied her; she could be anywhere between 30 and 130 for all I knew about the aging rate of elves.

"Ouch, that one hurt. Oh, class is starting. If you have questions ask them later." Despite myself I couldn't help but smile at the mock wounded expression that crossed Lólindir’s face before fading into an intent expression as he watched the teacher. You remind me so much of my best friend back home. I hope she's okay. Stealing once last glance at Lólindir I turned my attention to the teacher and began learning.