PDA

View Full Version : MQ: Shadows of the Cathedral ((Closed))

Mutant_Lorenor
10-22-07, 06:02 PM
((By invitation only))

0-Prologue

War. It had erupted all around Althanas in one sudden swoop. Like some archaic creature from the depths of our nightmares did it came to consume all. The Civil War in Corone was the catalyst to tensions all around the globe. A single spark lit the flames that spawned the machines of conflict. Corone. Salvar. Raiaera. Alerar. The four great nations of the globe locked in conflicts while The Thaynes laughed.

They manipulated their playing field with the grace and knowledge of chess masters. Each move was counter acted by rival Thaynes both known and unknown, famous and not so famous. At the top of the board were the greater Thaynes with all of their ruthlessness. Each one in direct opposition to the other. The Thaynes played their games while humanity below suffered at their expense.

One thing was on the gathered congress’ minds. The fallen Thayne known as N’Jal. With her manipulation of the globe the entire state of Althanas was disastrous. After all what good was having subjects if they were all killed by your worst enemy? The Thaynehood gathered at the Ancients’ gathering hall. This was a place of mystery built long ago by the acolytes of the Thayne. It didn’t physically lurk on Althanas, but rather, one of its many pocket dimensions. The Thayne rarely entered their domain unless needed or unless they were physically inclined to do so. The largest exception to this rule was the Lady Y’edda. She ventured into Concordia Forest often to torment the menfolk with her ghost-like presence.

A large table sat at the center of the golden room made of some otherworldly wood. It was crafted ages ago, yet it showed no signs of wear or age. The craftsmanship of the Thaynes was truly miraculous. Gathered at the head of the table was Lord Draconus. In order from the left to the right was Hromagh The Strong, Khal’jaren The Sage, Lady Y’edda The Wild, Jomil The Hermitress and V’dralla The Fair. All around them sat their various favored servants, heads bowed low with their chins touching their chests. They all wore masks to cover their faces as it was considered inappropriate to show your face to a Thayne.

Lord Draconus, at the head of the table, spoke with his angered voice as he stared at the single artifact lurking at the center of the table. It was an image of the globe of Althanas in its entirety. It was a large globe encompassing most of the table. At the front of each of the Thaynes was a golden plate that contained their favored meal. A golden goblet that contained their favorite drink was the partner of each of the plates. All except Lord Draconus. His chair was a throne (Like all the others were) but his was the largest of the group. Lord Draconus currently stood on his feet. His form was imposing and large. There was one vacant seat at the gathered congress, but this seat had been vacant for ages.

Lord Draconus began.

“THIS IS A DISASTER. Our world in its entirety is now consumed by war, swelling with dark energies. This is an era unlike any other we’ve ever entered. Not the War of the Tap, not the Demon War, not the Second Uprising, not the any other Wars we’ve ever had. This is large scale manipulation the likes that we’ve only seen at one other time during our world’s history.”

“The time of the First Darkness you mean?” Said Khal’jaren. “Do you really believe that the Lady N’Jal is behind all of this?”

“I wouldn’t have called such a meeting if I didn’t think otherwise. Make no mistake, I sense N’Jal’s hand behind this. Or else something far worse than our hated enemy.” Draconus said flinching as if N’Jal’s name were a smack to the face.

“We should have destroyed her when he had her. She’s too dangerous to be kept alive!” Chimed in Hromagh The Strong. “Why didn’t we destroy her when we’d captured her so long ago? Now we’re paying the price for the lunacy of our actions! We should act now before all is lost!” He slammed his fist against the table to emphasize his frustration.

Lord Draconus waved his outburst aside with a gesture of his hand.

“We can’t destroy her. She is a part of us. She came from the All-Thayne like we all did. Our best bet is to our smart her at every turn like we have been so far. We have to stay on our toes. She will attempt to usurp this volatile time period for her own glory.”

“As a second time of Darkness? Do you think that’s even possible with everything that Althanas has been through already?” Khal’jaren asked of Lord Draconus.

“It is possible. Even now she schemes in the prison world we sent her off to. We all decided that the best solution was to isolate her. But even so far away she is able to manipulate the hearts of her servants. Even her favored servants.”

“So what do you propose we do this time?” Lady Y’edda asked. There was sarcasm in her voice. As they interacted, Lord Draconus’ eyes twitched at the corners.

“ Where are the battle fronts right now?” Draconus said, changing the subject for a moment.

“Corone. Raiaera. Alerar.” Said Hromagh The Strong with a dangerous look of battle fever in his eyes. This was a time of war after all. And currently, war consumed the entire globe. Or at least threatened to.

“And now my precious Salvar is next.” Jomil The Hermitress. She ruled over the northern wild lands of Berevar and Salvar. “What shall we do to prevent this or at least lessen the damage?”

“Shall we use our puppet Lorenor again?” Lady Y’edda asked boldly.

“Where is his current location?” Asked Khal’jaren.

Lord Draconus waved his hand and an image of the ghoul known as Lorenor appeared before the map of the Althanas globe. A tiny dot appeared on the globe pinpointing his exact location. As was stated in a previous prophecy, the ghoul was already located in Salvar. Lord Draconus slammed his fist against the table this time. Obvious frustration etched on his face. They’d attempted to stop the ghoul at every turn and he’s out witted them every time. The tiny warrior was much more clever than the Thaynes, except for Lady Y’edda and Khal’Jaren, gave him credit for. He was after all and Immortal, and a Demi-God at that.

This knowledge was of course, lost to the ghoul.

“What is your proposal?” Lord Draconus asked of Lady Y’edda.

“Force his allegiances. Let us see if his allegiance is with the Sainthood or with us. The time of Prophecy is at hand.” Lady Y’edda said with a smirk on her face. “Soon there will be a time when the mortals no longer need us.”

“Let us hope such a day never comes.” Said Lord Draconus. “So how do we begin to manipulate such events in our favor?”

“It has already begun.” Replied Khal’Jaren. The rest of the Thaynes remained silent during the meeting having very little to add.

I-The King ((Iorlan Rathaxea)

Placed upon the playing field were the pawns of the Thaynes. The biggest pawns were those that were in charged. Castle Rathaxea overlooked Knife’s Edge as the sounds of the mobs engaged in conflict reached the high heavens. King Rathaxea, the ruler of the lands of Salvar and all of its fiefdoms, stared out of a window at the chaos. Villages and outskirt towns burned in the distance setting a sort of perverse scene upon the cold region of Salvar. A place of eternal snow tainted by the licking wrath of flames marking the horizon. Screams from his subjects below reached his carefully listening ears. It was chaotic, there was an eerie beauty about the scenes of devastation before it.

“It’s a well placed war don’t you think? Will they suspect our involvement?” Came the voice of the King’s lone guest. A Prophet by the name of Nenkulor, the Eternal. Once a Monk of Ai’bron, the Prophet forsook their ways after he discovered the ability to foresee the future. Once he’d discovered that hidden talent, Nenkulor sought to bring about an eventual future that occurred on a distinct timeline of Althanas yet to be. These events were but a taste of Nenkulor’s grand scheme.

“It doesn’t matter at this point. If things continue as they are there will be no government left as of twenty four hours ago. My army is engaged with the scum from the Cathedral at every turn. Even now, battles occur in the Sewers beneath our feet. It is only a matter of time before they enter the Castle walls with the powers they are boasting at their command.”

“I see. Did you make the preparations with the foreigners?” Nenkulor asked.

“Yes. But the Church bastards are using guns from Alerar. We won’t be able to hold them long with power of that magnitude.” The King said, worry tainting his handsome face even at his old age. He longed to be on the battlefield.

“Very well. It is moving as I have foreseen. Soon the Second Age of Darkness will be upon us. A new age is engulfing all of Althanas.” The Prophet said. His infamous riddle speak flowing from his silver tongue.

“Why would you help N’Jal though. That is the part that I don’t understand. Ultimately she seeks the destruction of the entire globe. Is it not in our best interest to avoid such a catastrophe?”

“That is for me to worry about. What of the boy? He is very valuable to my plans. He must be allowed to sneak unto the property until the time comes for good or ill.”

“He has been in Salvar for sometime now. Several months according to the reports from my spies placed within the Cathedral’s ranks. They say your pawn has been working for the Cathedral doing scrap jobs. I don’t understand that either. Why would a supposed servant of N’Jal help out the Cathedral when the government of Salvar can pay him better?” The King asked.

“Don’t worry about that. He has his reasons, right now the boy is experiencing internal conflict. He recently joined the Gol’Bron and that is going to test his loyalties as I’ve foreseen. These events are all to challenge and prepare him for what is to come. The Second Age of Darkness. We must all be ready for N’Jal when she attempts to usurp power from us and take Althanas for herself.” The prophet said. “The prophecies cannot come to pass if Lorenor is not present when the tidings occur. Ensure that he is allowed to be at the designated place we’ve talked about.”

“You’re asking me to take a serious gamble when my enemy is already beneath us. But your prophecies have proven useful to me in the past. If I do this thing is my victory assured against the Cathedral?”

Nenkulor had a sly expression on his face.

“It is all but assured.” Nenkulor bowed deeply to the King as he faced his greatest crisis. Nay. As Salvar itself faced its greatest crisis. “I shall take my leave now we must prepare.” Nenkulor said and started to exit the King’s personal den.

“Nenkulor.” The King started and the Prophet stopped.

“Aye Mi’lord?” Nenkulor responded.

“You play a dangerous game.”

“Chess usually is my liege. You would do well to remember that. The Thaynes play worse game with us.”

“I care not for your false gods.” The King snapped.

“But they care about you. With that I take my leave my liege. There are matters to attend to.”

And with that, The King found himself alone. As he thought about the final hour they all now face all of his hopes rested with the Prophet and with a boy the Prophet depended on. The King took a drink from a nearby mug of Salvarian ale and felt the warm substance flow down his throat. It had a peculiar texture to it, one that he’d grown used to long ago. It was his favored Ale one he drank oft when there wasn’t a warm whore to share his bed with. Tonight the castle was empty except for his military. And even they fought deep undergrounds. Reports periodically touched his desk from his Agents on the field.

The entirety of Salvar had gone to hell. “And I’m supposed to believe in your precious Thaynes Nenkulor? When all this madness is going on right beneath my nose? I think not dear friend. You overstay your welcome.” He whispered to himself and set forward a chain of events that might doom them all.

In the hallway, Nenkulor was approached by one of his many Agents placed strategically throughout Salvar. After all the Prophet had a great deal of time and effort invested into this region. His puppet was going to be there and he needed to ensure that his puppet acted according to the prophecies he foresaw in the coming hours and days. Once Lorenor met the one he was supposed to meet, the true preparations could begin. Nenkulor could then foresee the fall of a Thayne.

Nenkulor and the Agent had a discussion of a secret matter. When the discussion was done the Agent took his leave and Nenkulor left a short time there after.

II-The Scientist (Rinklaud)

Within the halls of the Cathedral there lurked a certain man. A room marked with the Salvarian symbols “research and development” was sealed shut as men worked around the clock under the guidance of Rinklaud. A scientist with his own stake in the Salvarn affairs, he’d established a sect of powerful followers devoted to the cause of progress. Development of secret weapons and artifacts based upon Alerar’s technology was underway. Using his knowledge obtained at the hands of the Golems, Rinklaud worked to give the Cathedral its edge. The Cathedral represented the people.

The government represented the aristocracy. And how did this all affect Rinklaud? Conflict created more opportunities to test new ideas and weapons than ever before. A time of great conflict lurked upon the horizon. Rinklaud prepared by researching new weapons for the Cathedral. Every side wanted ultimate victory, but the scientist only cared about the act of performing research and inventing new weapons of mass destruction. The project he currently worked on was based upon the knowledge given to him by his old arch nemesis.

III-The Betrayer (Viceroy Lemmers Doubois)

Fleeing his enemies in Corone after a failed attempt on his life, Lemmers Doubois ended up in Salvar. One of the few safe havens left after he’d lost the facility in Corone. Taking the advanced research notes with him and the mad scientist named Rinklaud, they’d parted ways since Lemmers realized it would be too dangerous to remain together. Lemmers pleaded with the current government in place for political asylum and was granted it thanks to the time of war currently upon them. The whole system was in complete chaos. Lemmers had his own agenda, however, as he saw the state of the weakened King. He remained within Castle Rathaxea awaiting his opportunity to strike at the back of his chosen enemy. Great fortune awaited Lemmers at a timely betrayal.

IV-A Time of Revolution

And so, all of the pieces of the chess set were in place. Justice Lev Testhan sat in his personal quarters within the Cathedral. He surrounded at all times by several of his most powerful Magi and Agents. They were specially trained in the killing arts and served the Justice at all times. Several of his cohorts within the ranks of the Arbiters and Justices were dropping like flies. A mysterious Assassin was taken out key members of the Cathedral’s high echelon of power.

Afore the Justice was a documentation showing him all his current subjects and loyal Agents. There were thousands of them at his command. Also, the populace of the poor favored the Cathedral’s teachings to the government because of humanitarian aide. It was a stalemate. The Justice read one name off the dossiers that stuck out the most. One of the most recent acquisitions by the cathedral.

“Where is he right now?” The Justice asked of one of his chief Field Agents.

“He’s in one Slum Districts. He has a companion from what our Intel suggests. He seems to be loyal to the Cathedral for the time being when all of our Agents are having their loyalty to St. Denebrial tested.”

“It is of no consequence but thank you for the information. Make sure that he infiltrates Knife’s Edge successfully. Inform him that his task is to investigate who is killing the cathedral members and take whatever means necessary to stop another hit. Understand?” The Agent nodded towards the Justice.

“Anything else?”

“Aye my lord.” The Agent said. “There are skirmishes occurring all over the country side. The poor are siding with the Cathedral for now. There has been no word from King Rathxea’s current position.”

“He’s probably hiding in his den like all dogs do. In any event continue to attempt to penetrate the castle through the Sewers. Ensure that HE is able to complete his primary mission. We shall deal with the King and any other usurpers to out great land. There are many foreigners of late and they must be stopped. This matter coincides with the teachings of St. Denebrial.” The Justice tried to preach as was his nature to do so. The Agents simply nodded. “You may take your leave Agent.”

((Small bunny dude))

Battles erupted all over Salvar. Lorenor was in Knife’s Edge up until recently when he was given an assignment to take out a particular Necromancer. He and his partner, Sorahn, took false identities in order to protect the truth about their foreign stature to Salvar. Disguised as Agents of the Cathedral, they ended up placed in a supply caravan.

Many boxes and crates lurked within the wagon as well as several seated figures. Most of them wore thick hides as was the traditional attire in Salvar. The hides protected from the severe cold outside despite the heat provided from the fires of war. The fires didn’t seem to increase the temperature by much. Lorenor sat in a corner with his companion as they were stared at by the other Agents. The ghoul already got used to people staring at his strange disposition. Salvar was in a state of chaos. As the civil war broke out within this land, the events seemed like they were manipulated to Lorenor. This is too convenient. A Civil War breaks out in Corone and then suddenly Salvar is thrust into a Civil War as well. This is madness. The loss of life will be too great for the Nation to sustain itself.

Lorenor eyed his companion for a moment. Then eyed the rest of the Agents gathered in the wagon. The road ahead was a treacherous one. Lorenor found himself thinking about his recent adventures and everything he’d gone through with The Endless. His pet, Figment, rested nearby awaiting Lorenor’s commands. The ghoul considered his position carefully.

“Run those orders by me once again. We’re NOT allowed to provide support for the forward infantry?”

“No.” Came the response from the leader of the Agents. He was a seasoned combat veteran. “You’re to investigate the source of the assassination attempts on the Arbiters. Figure out whose doing it and stop them from killing any other members of the Cathedral. Understand? You’re only to engage the enemy forces if they confront you directly. You two are as ghosts in this. Be silent, like the dead.” The Agent said. “This is part of your training in the Cathedral.”

“I understand.” Lorenor said calmly. The wagon suddenly stopped.

“This is where you get off.”

They’d reached Knife’s Edge.

Lorenor stepped outside and saw that the land was war torn.

In just twenty-four hours everything had changed. Sounds of battle assaulted the ghoul from every direction.

Sorahn
10-22-07, 10:57 PM
”The time has come, my child. War is upon us. It is time for you to rise and serve me just as you vowed to do in a time past.”

“I am at your service, my lord, as always.”

Sorahn sat silently in the corner of the train, dressed as a native Salvarian. The clothing was very uncomfortable, as he had gotten quite used to not wearing anything on his upper body. The clothing only added to the protection against the cold that his fur naturally offered him, and for a moment he wondered how the humans could tolerate the cold without a fur coat to warm them.

The smell of the wagon was quite pungent. The various boxes must have contained food stuffs among other things used to supply the church’s troops. This smell was amplified by Sorahn’s sensitive nose, resulting in a rather unpleasant sensation. But he ignored this. A Ranoan warrior never complained. Complaining was a sign of weakness; an inability to bear the tasks set out for you. And a foul odor was the least of his worries at the moment.

”The Thaynes are in an uproar. With war plaguing the world on three separate fronts, they fear the Second Time of Darkness is upon us. They will do anything to stop this from happening. They have already set their plans into motion. But they forget that I, too, have a disciple on Althanas. And you will be a great asset in this battle, my son.”

“How may I serve you, my lord?”

The silence on the train was palpable. It was thick and heavy, like a weight pressing down on all present. But in times such as these one tends to become absorbed in one’s own thoughts, trying desperately to cope with a dangerous and uncertain situation, when death is staring you in the face, taunting you with the ever-present fact that you might not live through the day.

But death was something Sorahn no longer feared. He had already died once, and was resurrected by his god, Ronah, in order to better fulfill his will. Even before his death, he had been taught as a Ranoan warrior to stare death in the face on the battlefield, to welcome it should his time come, and that death in service to Ranoa was the highest honor.

No, it was not fear that gripped him and sent him into this pensive state, but rather the weight of his decisions. He had long since been aware of the rising tensions in Salvar, and of the civil war that tore through Corone. As the leader of the Gol’Bron, he was quite well informed. What remained was how he, as leader, was going to lead. With wars being waged across the world, and the Thaynes so deeply involved, the clan could not remain neutral. And in a state of unrest like this, soon Sorahn would face decisions that would test his very character.

”You will travel to Salvar. There you will meet a loyal follower of yours: the ghoul known as Lorenor. You will assist him in his mission in any way you can. However, the time will come when your devotion to me will be tested. You will have to make a choice, and that choice could impact far more than you know.”

“My devotion to you shall not falter.”

Ronah’s words plagued him, burdening him like a weight on his back. The thought of a test of his faith made him anxious and uneasy. What if he failed? What if the choice was more than he could bear? His mind was reeling with the consequences of a choice he had yet to make, or even know about. “That choice could impact far more than you know.”

His thoughts flashed to Rehnahlia, his mate. It made him sick to think she remained in Corone, where the heat of conflict was just as intense as it was here. He longed to be with her, to hold her in his arms, but it wasn’t meant to be. She had to stay back and watch over the town and the clan, while he rode aboard his great black dragon, Nyris, to far off lands to fight. If the situation required, he could send a message aboard Nyris back to Rehnahlia. He dreaded to think of any situation where this would be necessary.

”Events will soon unfold that will change Althanas as you know it. The fate of much will depend on the actions of the coming days. The prevention of the Second Darkness is not the only outcome to be determined.”

“My will is your will.”

He was quickly brought back to his senses by Lorenor’s sudden words. He remained silent, but tuned his ears to the Agent’s response. Prevent assassination attempts… He repeated to himself, mentally. He had already been briefed in this mission, but he couldn’t help running through scenarios in his head, trying to piece together the complex puzzle he now found himself in. The mission, Lorenor, the Gol’Bron, Ronah, the Thayne, Rehnahlia… how do they all fit together?

“This is where you get off,” growled the firm voice of one of the agents: the unceremonious call to action.

Taking a moment to collect himself, he stood and followed Lorenor out of the wagon, ending his introverted time of reflection. The time for thinking was over, now was the time for action. The one fact he took comfort in was that Ronah, his god and master, had a plan.

”Are you prepared to complete these tasks I have given you?”

“Yes, my lord.”

”Go then, in my name, and do as I have commanded. This will be your first test.”

“I shall not fail you, my lord.”

Mutant_Lorenor
10-23-07, 11:15 AM
Conflict surrounded the ghoul now. A cold arctic breeze came in from the North West causing his thick animal hides to shiver ever so slightly in the breeze. The ghoul wore a mask of concentration. This is my moment. My moment to show them that I'm not worthless. I'm not just another nameless casualty of war. I am meant for greater things. Lorenor heard The Endless singing songs of destruction and that guided his thoughts. Many questions rested in the ghoul's heart now. Investigation. Where do I begin? How can I start this process with so many battles being waged all around me? How do I pick one single direction to begin?

Lorenor spotted several different skirmishes taking place on the streets all around him. The nearest skirmish was several yards away from him. The train moved ahead heading in an eastward direction whilst the archers boarded on the atop the wagons cleared the road. Lorenor looked ahead and saw the two large buildings that marked St. Denebriel's Cathedral and Castle Rathaxea. The two structures that were current locked in war. Like two great beasts did their horns interlock as they butted heads with one another.

The situation eerily reminded Lorenor of the one going on in Corone. Well time assassinations sparked off the fires of war as a long standing bastion of democracy moved towards a dictatorship. Lorenor weighed these distinctions in his heart as he tried to keep a clear focus of why he did this. Somehow I've become an Agent of the Cathedral. Yet. My loyalty is with the Gol'Bron I know this will be tested soon enough. How will N'Jal factor into this? He knew that the Spider Queen manipulated the conflict from her far off prison in space. Something dreadful lurked on the horizon. For such a wretched ghoul, the small warrior was actually rather resourceful. He'd managed to stay alive for so long with such a great disadvantage as he had when compared to other warriors in his same league.

Lorenor stole a glance in Sorahn's general direction. The warrior was strangely silent throughout the entire trip into Knife's Edge. He seems like he's meditating on something. I wonder what he's thinking about right now. Is he just as scared as I am? Does he really understand the weight of what is happening right now? The whole world is locked in a state of conflict. It's all gone to shit in a hand basket. Lorenor sighed. It was time to begin the investigation. An investigation born by conflict. Lorenor knew that one of the Arbiters was located in one of the many makeshift head quarters to the South of his position. That was a good a place to start as any. Avoiding conflict will be difficult but its possible.

Lorenor knew that the Thaynehood manipulated the hearts of men and swayed them to their cause. The battle wasn't just on a physical front, but a spiritual front as well. The very will of men was being tested. As Althanas stood divided, she faced her greatest threat ever. Looking away from his leader, Lorenor proceeded to the South. He could feel conflict everywhere as the sounds of dying men touched his sensory array. The ghoul took a deep breath and prepared himself for the war of his life. All of his training in the Dajas Pagoda was for this exact moment in time. Now, Lorenor stared destiny in the eye.

"Where is he now?"

Lev asked of his servants. The Justice had a rare tint of anxiety in his voice as he spoke. The weight of all the battles being waged in Salvar rested squarely on his shoulder. On a deck of Tarot Cards if the King was The World, then Lev Testhan was Justice. He served the hand of St. Denebrial, but most importantly, his allegiance was towards a secret other. He knew that the Thaynehood protected his cause. Most of the population of Salvar were heathens without a Thayne in their heart. They worshiped their own deities. Lev knew that this was part of the problem. The King didn't agree with him that religion should have so much sway in politics and the hearts of men.

Lev felt it was absolutely necessary. The Teachings of St. Denebrial were completely vital to his rise to power. They'd assisted him at every major turning point in his life. St. Denebrial's teachings were more than a code, they were a way of life. One that was taken completely seriously by her devoted followers. And now, an arrogant bastard King threatened to destroy the Church and everything he stood for.

"He just reached District 4. They entered him where the conflict was least intense. Skirmishes are occurring all over the area, but in small pockets of resistance. The main of the King's forces are engaging us in the sewers and in several other fronts. District 4 is virtually untouched."

"Who is the main Arbiter in charged there?"

"Arbiter Rexian O'Lonien. Our most recent reports suggest that he is still alive and well. Protected by a fully armed regimen of troops." The Agent said.

"Very well. That should be as good a place as any for him to start."

"Understood sir. Our Agents in place have been given the word to allow him to proceed."

"He has been granted unusually high privileges. This is not normal procedure for an Initiate but we need to act quickly. In a day's time there might not be a Cathedral left to defend."

"I thought we were winning sir?"

"The King is a bastard. But he is a smart bastard. He has his own devices that aide him in the battle. He is not to be underestimated. This enemy that we face is not connected to the King's forces. It is an outsider, and as such we need an outsider to deal with the threat. St. Denebriel preached the virtues of being adaptive to any situation that one faced. This is one of those time. See to it that he finds out who is responsible for these killings. I have a feeling we may not like the answer." Lev said.

"Very well. I shall report back to the battle."

"One more thing." Lev said.

"Aye sir?"

"Stay alive. And may St. Denebriel watch over thy atma."

"I shall do my best my master."

Sorahn
10-24-07, 07:15 PM
Sorahn shivered slightly. Even with his fur coat, the air felt a bit cool. He pulled the heavy clothing a little tighter and looked around. The streets around them were wrought with conflict. Off in the distance he could see and hear the echoes of the battle which raged in the heart of Knife’s Edge. As terrible as wars were, there was no better time for a warrior. Sorahn felt the greatest sense of purpose he had ever felt; like a soldier being sent on a mission, he had a goal to accomplish.

He was bred for the heat of battle. It was what he lived on. Sure, he had his alchemy, but fighting was his profession. He had trained since he was a young boy, and now that training would pay off. Ronah had given him a mission. Either he would perform the tasks required of him, or he would die trying. Failure was not an option.

He glanced to the ghoul next to him. They had already done several things together, and Sorahn was genuinely impressed with the boy’s skills and loyalty. When he first met the boy, he wasn’t sure about him. The boy was a self-proclaimed follower of N’Jal; utmost heresy in the eyes of the Gol’Bron, but against his better judgment he decided to let the ghoul remain a member of the group. Thankfully, he had not regretted this decision. The boy served as a member of the clan with an honor that Sorahn thought impossible from a follower of N’Jal. Within a few months the boy had gone from being the most suspicious person in the clan, in Sorahn’s eye, to the most valued.

Sorahn was proud to stand next to him in battle, as a fellow warrior. The more Sorahn thought about it, the more similarities he found between the young warrior and himself. They both had stare-drawing appearances, both were considered outcasts, both were chosen by the Thayne, both fought fiercely for what they believed in, and both were learning how to be leaders. The young warrior was gaining confidence in leading just as Sorahn was gaining confidence as leader of the clan. Once again, he led the way on this quest, with Sorahn following along. Overall, this was a boy that deserved Sorahn’s respect, regardless of his experience or choice of deity. What mattered was he was devoted to the clan.

As Sorahn’s pensive moment passed, he spoke for the first time since they departed. “Lead the way. I’m with you.” He said simply, but it was all that needed to be said.

He resisted the urge to summon his spear in preparation of an oncoming attack, but it would blow his cover, so he would have to wait until the last second to prepare for battle. This thought made him nervous, but nevertheless he continued on unarmed, trying not to think of what might be around the next turn.

Mutant_Lorenor
10-26-07, 11:40 AM
((MD post at anytime that you're ready. We have over a month to complete this thing. Remember what we talked about))

The sounds of blade clashing against blade made Lorenor eager to move forward with their journey. Where do I begin? Everywhere he turned his gaze were the sights and sounds of conflict. Blade struck other blades, arrows were launched into skirmishes to pick off opponents one by one, and other weapons of death were employed into the battle. Lorenor saw that several buildings were on fire as agents of the war ransacked their properties trying to gain valuable items for their side. There was one universal truth, warfare cost each side considerable sums of money.

After all, one had to pay the soldiers that worked for you. Playing the part he was destined to play, Lorenor looked back at Lord Sorahn and nodded to him casually. This was his chance to prove himself once again. Fires flowing from the particular buildings where they were lit licked the sky above them creating a mysterious tint around the city. It gave the effect that the whole world was in chaos with a sky that was blood red.

Lorenor only had one lead to go on. He'd remembered a discussion he had with one of the lads on the train, it was the best lead he'd been given. Agents of the Cathedral kept information closely guarded in order to prevent betrayals at their blades. Agents were only given what they needed to complete each mission no matter how difficult a mission was. Lorenor found himself in just such a situation. A low ranking Agent, the ghoul knew he couldn't ask for much more than what fellow Agents were willing to divulge.

Even if he attempted to bribe them with gold, which had been the case during the caravan ride. The ghoul sat down much too long from his trip on the caravan ride from his previous location in Salvar. His legs ached terribly, he had a great desire to move. Let's do this thing that's before us now. I know that there's supposed to be an Arbiter near here somewhere. The ghoul stepped forward knowing that his companions would follow him into the jaws of Hell if need be.

As the skirmishes took place, Lorenor noticed either side wearing distinct colors. One side wore the traditional white clothing that marked men from Salvar who were poor, whilst the other side wore the colors of the Aristocracy. Royal blues and other such hues like that matched the cold environment of Salvar. Lorenor wanted eagerly to take a side in the conflict.

The ghoul was a warrior first and all other matters were secondary. His training with the Monks of Ai'bron kicked into high gear now. The small warrior's senses attuned to the sounds of tactical warfare everywhere. He recalled the clues he was given by his fellow Agents. With a lead in his head, the ghoul proceeded forward. He'd been to Knife's Edge several times before and a past incarnation of Lorenor traveled to Knife's Edge with more frequency than the current one.

Feeling memories of a past life intrude upon the present, the ghoul listened to the information he was receiving. He paused for a moment as his memories cleared, rippling before him like a river. The memories showed a distinct building lurking in a nearby position. Lorenor shot his glance in that general direction, away from the fighting, and moved towards the house of the Arbiter. A man he'd met before several times in a past life.

Sorahn
10-29-07, 09:37 PM
Sorahn patiently followed Lorenor, without asking where it was they were going. He trusted the young warrior, and left it up to him to decide what needed to be done. Their feet steps made crunching noises in the thin layer of snow now forming on the ground. The weather mages that held Salvar’s fierce cold at bay must be a bit distracted.

As they walked, Sorahn thought about the purpose of this war. Humans were fickle about their governments and always felt they needed to be changed, and when they succeed in their revolution and finally establish the system they so desired, it wouldn’t be 10 years before they were rebelling against the very system they had just created.

Ranoans, on the other hand, resisted change; as evident in the Ranoan form of government, which was led by a council of elders who were advised by Ronah himself. It had been this way for thousands of years, and was in fact the very government that Ronah had instructed his people to establish. The only hiccup in this system happened recently when the people became lax in their faith and allowed a fascist emperor to rule them. However Sorahn was certain that the force with which he had plunged his spear into the emperor’s face would prevent him from ever ruling again.

He couldn’t help but wonder what would happen if the king was overthrown, and the church was allowed to establish a theocracy. On the one hand, this system would be theoretically similar to the Ranoan form of government, which remained ever stable. On the other hand, they would be placing their faith in a god which Sorahn knew to be false. This thought disturbed him. There were thousands of people who followed this church and believed in its false gods.

Naturally, there have always been different societies within every race; each worshiping their own deities. There were even small pockets of Ranoans who refused to believe in Ronah, despite his active and apparent involvement in all Ranoan life. Many simply rebelled for rebellion’s sake.

Perhaps this was the same as here. The church was rebelling against the king simply to rebel. Or maybe there was a deeper motive. There is no greater force compelling people, especially humans, than greed. Maybe the church, and its leaders, had motives that were far less noble than they wanted others to believe.

Sorahn stopped and looked to the massive cathedral in the distance. Echoes of war could be heard resonating from its direction. His tail swished idly as he stared, his face slowly twisting to one of disgust.

Mutant_Lorenor
10-30-07, 12:39 PM
Meanwhile--

"What troubles you my Lord?" She asked of Lemmers who laid in the bed next to a lover. Lovers talked. Lemmers didn't like it when people talked, especially about him. He turned towards the woman and smacked her once fiercely with the back of his hand. "You ask too many questions." He hissed as she yelped and receded into the bed sheets as if cowering away from the much larger man. "Stop I know you've been hit worse. All you whores are the same anyway." Lemmers said casually grabbing a drink from a nearby bed side table. The room smelled of intense sex.

Lemmers was an outsider to Salvar who sought political asylum when the war in his own country endangered his life. Funny how members of the Aristocracy fled the war whilst their subjects fought it with their lives. Blindly. Lemmers took his drink and laid back on the bed. "But you're right about one thing. This whole mess does trouble me. Here we have the whole world locked in a World War. If one were so inclined one might think that the Thaynes have abandoned us. Wouldn't you say my dear?" He placed his hand underneath her chin. She winced for a moment fearing another reprising smack from the powerful man.

She thought carefully about what she was going to say. "Such matters are the concerns of the nobles. Commoners aren't in their place to think of such matters." Lemmers laughed at her statement. "Commoners you say? You're the sister of a Duke here. And you see yourself as a commoner? Most interesting I dare say." Lemmers laughed in amusement once more. He pulled his woman closer and kissed her deeply. "No more talking. Talking bores me. I'm a man of action." Lemmers said and took his woman once more. Their love making would last well into the night.

Lemmers' plan could wait until the morning.

Up ahead Lorenor saw the building he was looking for. It was the building of a Lord. Lorenor saw that the rest of the buildings of this district seemed to be large houses set aside almost as a random after thought by the architects of Salvar. The particular building he sought contained one of the last remaining Arbiters of the Cathedral. Before they could be completely wiped out, the Cathedral hired Lorenor and his companions to protect the remaining high ranking members of the church.

A platoon of cathedral Agents awaited outside of the building. They were well armed and well armored. The colors of the church were upon their persons. Lorenor didn't recognize any of them from his previous encounters with the church. But, he knew that they would all recognize him and perhaps his two partners. Lorenor knew that Lord Sorahn was an individual that commanded some degree of fame. One figured that would be the case of the leader of The Gol'Bron.

As Lorenor walked along the street heading toward the building he noticed a skirmish taking place just across the street of the building. Several of the Cathedral agents were engaged with men sent by the King. Lorenor could see the cathedral and castle Rathaxea at the center of the conflict. Lorenor wanted to involve himself in the battle, but the ghoul knew that he could not.

He had a higher calling decreed to him by the church and they needed to be as ghosts throughout this secret mission. Lorenor eyed Sorahn once to see the other in deep thought. Then he turned towards the Cathedral Agents as they made their way towards Lorenors' person.

"You there. State your business." Said one of the Agents.

The other recognized Lorenor and stopped the man from further delaying the events. "Stop. They were sent by the Cathedral I was foretold of their coming. Welcome Agents of St. Denebriel. Come. The Arbiter awaits inside of this structure. We are using it as a base." The Agent said to Lorenor.

"We are here to ensure that the Arbiter remains alive. All other concerns matter very little to us. Remember that. So do try to keep your war on the streets." Lorenor said calmly. "This matter is very serious. If the Arbiters fall so will St. Denebriel."

"We cannot allow that to happen."

"Agreed. Let's get these introductions over with. We are eager to join the battle when the time comes." Lorenor added.

"Right this way then." And the two warriors were lead towards the building behind the phalanx of Agents in front of it. Lorenor walked in front of Lord Sorahn for this job at hand. He eyed his companion once more seeing the man as a both superior and equal. Turning his gaze back into the building, the small warrior entered calmly without any hesitation.

Once inside, Lorenor saw a well decorated establishment. Ancient bookshelves made of liviol were gathered to form an impressive collection of documents. Inside the building matters were as busy as they were outside of the building. The Agent that greeted them. The room was dimly lit by candlelight and was a large gathering hall. Agents moved to and fro within the room taking care of various tasks. Lorenor casually greeted a few of the Agents.

"Wait here." Said the Agent that guided him. "I'll get the Arbiter for you."

And so, it began.

Sorahn
11-01-07, 06:58 PM
Sorahn turned from the cathedral and returned his attention to the task at hand in time to see Lorenor moving ahead, and agents approaching them. He figured they would be recognized, as both he and Lorenor were both very recognizable. In fact they were downright odd looking, by Althanas standards.

Sorahn chose to remain silent. He hadn’t said more than a few words their entire journey so far, but there was nothing that needed to be said, and Sorahn hated talking for talking’s sake.

They were led inside the building, past swarms of agents from the church. Something doesn’t seem right. Why were we hired to defend the church’s arbiters when they have armies at their command? Sorahn was becoming quite suspicious and decided not to let his guard down around any of the church members. Something was happening beneath the surface here.

Lorenor glanced at Sorahn several times. He could only guess the young warrior was seeking encouragement or support, which Sorahn attempted to give via facial expressions. He knew the ghoul just needed confidence, just like Sorahn did when he first became leader of the clan.

The two were led into an extravagant gathering hall and told to wait. Sorahn was growing more uncomfortable by the minute. The candlelight shimmered on various gold trinkets and illuminated intricate tapestries hung on the walls next to massive bookshelves. He wondered just how much money the church had to afford such luxurious accommodations for its arbiters. He sneered very slightly. Such extravagance was a waste in his eyes. But so it was in these times; men fought each other in pursuit of more and more expensive things in an attempt to fill their empty lives.

The rich wage war and the poor die in it.

The thought occurred to Sorahn that these were the people he would be protecting. His mission was to guard the people he was quickly growing to hate. However he had sworn his allegiance to Ronah, and would fulfill any task required of him, regardless of his personal views. He had to trust Ronah’s judgment.

However he was not looking forward to meeting this Arbiter.

Mutant_Lorenor
11-02-07, 12:19 PM
((Feel free to bunny Rexian for the sakes of transition))

Meanwhile--

Arbiter Rexian O'Lonien was a very nervous man these days. He had faith that St. Denebriel would protect him but it wasn't enough. Already, the corpses of two other Arbiters were found in their own homes. They were victims of an unknown Assassin. While he planned strategies for his company of Agents he worried about their ability to protect him. Times were desperate. Rexian knew that the higher ups were sending him outsiders to protect him with the blessings of St. Denebriel. He hoped it would be enough.

A knock on the door.

"Yes what is it?" Came his nervous sounding voice.

"They are here." The familiar Agent said from outside.

"Excellent, show me to them." He said with a slightly deeper tone of voice as he tried to collect his wits. They were scattered like the winds of every corner of the globe. Rexian wore his traditional Arbiter's robes. They were blues, golds and white. Rexien's robes touched the floor and were dragged along with his movements. He dressed modestly for a priest though his clothing was made of expensive Vlince. He'd earned that money himself to pay for it.

The Arbiter was a handsome man in his mid thirties. He had sloping skull structure and a well defined nose. His cheekbones were moderately defined suggesting the mountains of Salvar. He was already developing crow's feet and a crow's nest upon his forehead. Rexien's face was clean shaved and showed off a powerful, stately chin. The man stood at about five feet eleven inches and his physique suggested he weighed approximately one hundred and fifty pounds. Over all, not the most impressive of Salvarns around but a well configured man none the less. Many females might consider this lad to be a handsome one.

He observed the environment around him with powerful icy blue eyes. Blue eyes were common with Salvarns. Something about the temperate zones and the harsh effects of the environment on the eyes. Rexien had tough looking skin. Another common trait of Salvarns. He walked with a dignified purpose. His robes had a satchel worn around the waist and was slightly open at the top to reveal the physique beneath. Rexien was clearly a no nonsense warrior. He'd much rather be on the battlefield than in hiding, but their enemy was skilled and dangerous.

As he moved downstairs following the Agent Rexien sensed the tension in the air. He'd trained long hours to develop his battle prowess but found himself up against a wall when forced to face a superior opponent. He looked down and saw the strangers waiting in the gathering hall. He walked deliberately slowly and dignified. They could wait a few more moments for his own flashy arrival. He grabbed the handrails of the staircase with large, sinewy hands and walked down the steps purposefully slow.

Once he was within their range he saw one short disciple of St. Denebriel and a much taller, well built man. He sensed a mysterious power coming from the taller man. And from the short man, he sensed a darkness. He saw a mysterious creature that followed the short man around like a confused child, a wayward spirit. A member of a race that the cathedral deemed a heresy seeing such a thing made the man shiver.

Lorenor looked at his pet, Figment as it sat by his person. Ever a watchful guard, the creature was a member of the race of The Endless. It had spawned off his original symbiote, V'halkulus. Right now it appeared as if it rested whilst it waited for his master to address it. The thing was a strange sort of pet and acted of its own volition. It sat a few paces away from Lorenor resting against a chair. The Agent came back towards the ghoul and told the two of them to sit at a nearby table. Lorenor nodded and sat down, eager to get off his feet.

He hoped Sorahn would follow. He saw a large man descending the staircase and assumed this grand individual to be the Arbiter. Lorenor didn't know what to make of his mission just yet. Will I like him? How will he behave towards us? Will this even matter? A waitress served some hot tea in a pitcher setting some goblets for the two guests. Lorenor helped himself to the tea as he waited for the man to approach. He seemed to be taking his time. I'm surprised there isn't more urgency in his step considering the circumstances under which we have to meet.

"Welcome to my house my friends. As you see with your own eyes, the times are now very dangerous." He said as Lorenor saw him take a seat in front of them at the head of the table. He talked with a very thick Salvarn accent. It sounded cold. The ghoul couldn't help but shiver a little bit. He saw that Rexien stared in Figment's general direction with the hint of frown touching his face. Lorenor waited for a moment and realized there was something he was supposed to say.

"I am grateful towards your gratitude Arbiter. Our presence here will be as ghosts. You can rest assured of that. I just want to ensure your survival so that you can go back to doing whatever it is that your position requires you to do." Lorenor said calmly sighing deeply afterwards. He still found himself feeling very uncomfortable during social settings.

"Well said. You are they one they call Lorenor I trust? Unusual name. What is the name of your companion? He seems to fit the description of someone I'm familiar with from stories generated from Radasanth." The Arbiter said as he eyed Sorahn for a moment. The Arbiter felt powerful energies flowing from the strange furred man. Just what was he? Lorenor saw the strange exchange but waited for his leader to represent himself.

Sorahn
11-03-07, 06:56 PM
Sorahn was becoming restless. He didn’t like standing around and doing nothing as war was being waged all around them. His tail swished impatiently, coming dangerously close to knocking over some extremely expensive and equally frivolous decorations. He couldn’t care less.

Lorenor on the other hand seemed to be quite comfortable. An agent asked them to sit at a table and served some hot tea, which Lorenor gladly accepted. He knew the ghoul was just being polite and didn’t want to offend. Sorahn on the other hand was not in the mood. He’d had enough of being polite when he became leader of the Gol’Bron. Greeting everyone with a smile and a handshake, courteously asking permission for everything; it was enough to make a warrior ill.

He walked over to the table but did not sit. Carefully he picked up the goblet from the ornate hardwood table and smelled it, letting the steamy smell of tea fill his nostrils. His lip curled very slightly and he set the goblet back on the table.

Finally he caught sight of a man descending the staircase into the room. He was a very well built and handsome man, wearing very ornate and expensive robes, which didn’t surprise Sorahn in the slightest. His eyes narrowed as he watched the man slowly descend the staircase. He looked exactly like Sorahn expected

He has the arrogant strut of a man who thinks he owns everything… pretentious bastard. He’s no different from the aristocracy he claims to hate. Sorahn made no attempt to address the man, and instead waited for Lorenor to speak. He feared that at this point his own voice would be quite full of contempt, which might not be very comforting to a man who must trust him with his life.

However, soon he didn’t have a choice. The arbiter seemed to have heard of him. However with his extremely odd appearance, he thought it would be a miracle if he wasn’t recognized.

“My name is Sorahn un’ Rohnahmeh, and I am the Chieftain of the Gol’Bron in Corone.” He made no attempt to bow or nod or anything of the sort, instead looked down from where he stood to the arbiter, failing to hide the disdain in his face.

“Forgive me, arbiter, but doesn’t your current situation demand a bit more… urgency?” He finally said when he couldn’t hold it in anymore.

Damn aristocrats think that they’re experts in battle when they’ve spent a few hours fighting a mannequin with a stick.

Mutant_Lorenor
11-04-07, 01:20 PM
Lorenor noticed that the Arbiter smiled at Sorahn's line of questioning. He could sense his friend's discomfort about the whole situation. This is not easy for either of us. We're involving ourselves irrevocably in another country's affairs. A Nation that would sooner stab us in the back than repay us for our efforts in this situation. At least I am trying to involve myself on the winning side. Lorenor thought to himself with a slight nod. A moment passed as the Arbiter thought of an adequate response.

"There is great urgency in everything we do. Our will is the will of St. Denebriel herself. I've been passing out assignments to my fellow Agents all day long. I am merely affording myself a small break to address the vital mission that you two are on. Merely the protection of me. The Cathedral sent you to because they know now that an entire platoon of fully trained Agents is not enough to defend against the threat that currently pursues me and my ilk. It is funny that you mention the word urgency Sorahn. There is great urgency in everything we do. My country is on the verge of complete collapse and now we need the aide of foreigners just to ensure that there will be a country left after this pathetic war is over. Make no mistake my good man. There is urgency in EVERYTHING we do. This game of chess we're playing with that coward King it'll be over soon enough once we've removed the King from his throne." Lorenor heard some frustration in his voice as the Arbiter spoke. He was clearly stressed out about the situation.

Once the man explained the depth of the situation, Lorenor developed a newfound respect for the native Salvarns. Salvarns were a strong, hearty lot and Lorenor sort of envied them since he had no true Nation of his own. He heralded from Haidia, but Haidia was now one of many lost regions on Althanas becoming nothing more than myth and legend.

Lorenor closed his eyes as he waited for Sorahn and the Arbiter to speak. He could tell by his friend's facial expressions that he was very uncomfortable about the whole situation. I can't blame him. There are fights everywhere and we got stuck babysitting this jerk. I'd be upset too if I were a warrior of Sorahn's prowess. Lorenor sighed after taking another long gulp of his tea. The tea brought about a sense of comfort, preparing him for the ordeals that lay ahead. They needed to draw out the Assassin that was hunting the Arbiters. That was the plan. They would use the Arbiter as bait. I can't think of a better plan than that especially if there is a hit list involved.

Lorenor listened while Sorahn and the Arbiter talked. He was waiting for his next set of orders so they could begin to prepare for their own battle.

Sorahn
11-04-07, 08:35 PM
”An entire platoon of fully trained Agents is not enough to defend against the threat that currently pursues me and my ilk.” But adding a couple of foreigners from Corone will be plenty?

Sorahn didn’t follow this man’s logic, and didn’t trust him any further than he could throw him. Judging from what he’d seen so far, he was certain he could take on about five of their agents by himself. Even still he didn’t see how the two of them would do what his men couldn’t. However he decided not to argue this point, simply because he didn’t want to talk to the man any longer than was necessary.

The Arbiter’s speech about urgency didn’t impress Sorahn. Words without action were meaningless. Plus by this point Sorahn had all but cemented his hatred for the man, so there was little he could do to redeem himself. He was beginning to resent this entire assignment. I have much better things to do with my time.

He thought of the clan, and the many things that had to be done. He thought of Rehnahlia, laying in his bed by herself, trying to stay strong. Suddenly, his thoughts flashed to Ronah.

”Go then, in my name, and do as I have commanded. This will be your first test.”

“I shall not fail you, my lord.”

The words echoed in his mind and he winced. Ronah’s word was law, and Ronah sent him on this mission. He did not doubt the will of Ronah, and therefore had to see this task through to completion, whatever it may entail. If it meant looking after an arrogant brat, then so be it. Everything else must wait.

Sorahn paused, taking a moment to collect himself and swallow his pride. Finally he spoke. “What would you like us to do to protect you?” His tone was resigning, as if accepting a fate he didn’t desire. At the same time, however, he made every effort to convey through body language that this man was not his superior. The fact that he must take orders from him was an unfortunate consequence of recent events, and did not imply any sort of subordination.

He stared at the man, fire burning in his eyes. For a moment he fantasized about summoning his spear and forcing it into the man’s skull. The satisfaction would be overwhelming.

Ronah, please help me not to kill this man by the time this over.

Mutant_Lorenor
11-04-07, 09:16 PM
"Take station in disguise as a guard. When the Assassins strike again, this time they must be caught." The Arbiter said plainly. "You will take station by my personal quarters to ensure my personal safety. Once the Assassin is caught you are free to do your will. Join the front lines if you like." Lorenor heard the Arbiter say. He turned towards Sorahn and saw that his companion had fire burning in his eyes. I've seen that look before. I think I know what he's planning. That cold warrior's look.

Lorenor was the first to break the silence.

"Where do we take up station again? Will we have our own rooms to stay at? I would hate to share a bed chamber with other Agents. They are not privy to our methods." Lorenor said cautiously. The Arbiter blinked when he heard the ghoul's words. Lorenor took a pull of his hot tea. He was trying to keep the Arbiter on his toes. I know that Lord Sorahn would be proud of me with that one. Keep this phoney on his toes. Lorenor put his goblet down once he finished taking a pull of the warm tea. The taste was exquisite.

"You will take up private residence in the upstairs area. The Assassin has been able to sneak onto the property before. We are certain he will be able to do so again."

"So you're using yourself as bait?" Lorenor asked bluntly as he leaned forward at his seat. He wore a curious facial expression. He took another pull of the warm tea. This is a complete waste of time. I don't know why I agreed to this job. I need standing with the church to be able to do anything however. Even if its doing this bullshit babysitter job while a war is going on outside our very doorstep. Lorenor heard the Arbiter sigh.

"That is pretty much the plan."

"Very well. I want to ensure that our presence here will be as ghosts as I said earlier. The only thing I require from this job is that your Agents leave us alone. If you can arrange for that to happen, then I am at your bidding." Lorenor said slyly playing with the words like an expert. He was greedy, but his greed made him smart.

Lorenor hoped that his companion was catching the subtle word play. The ghoul caught on to his friend's hatred of the Arbiter. Now he was playing carefully to the plans at hand. He knew what ultimately would be asked of him, he just had to wait for the time to be right. "You shall have everything you need."

Sucker we got you. Hook. Line. And sinker.

"If that's all then, I'm sure you're a very busy man. I'm going to take to my personal quarters. There are preparations we need to make for tonight if the Assassin will attack sooner than later. I hope for your sakes that you don't have us here simply doing nothing." Lorenor said calmly, the hint of venom touching his voice ever so slightly. The ghoul nodded afterwards waiting to be dismissed so he could go speak with Sorahn.

"Very well then take your time to prepare everything." The Arbiter said resigning to the ghoul's words. This brought a smile to Lorenor's face and he walked over to Lord Sorahn. As he walked towards his companion, he nodded once in the affirmative to his leader and prepared himself to go upstairs. They would be ready to face this phantom menace. Figment slid across the floor following its master as he moved. The creature drew some awkward stares from the gathered Agents that noticed it for they could not identify The Endless for what it was.

The Arbiter shot a look of disgust towards The Endless. Lorenor walked upstairs hoping that his leader might follow.

Sorahn
11-05-07, 08:44 PM
Sorahn patiently listened to the arbiter’s response, his intense gaze never fading. Join the front lines, eh? But for which side?

An awkward silence followed, which Sorahn had no intention of breaking. He couldn’t think of anything else to say to the arbiter, and instead waited for Lorenor to speak. But what Lorenor said caught him off guard and made him break his fierce gaze to glance in the ghoul’s direction.

Private rooms? That would be convenient but not necessary… Sorahn thought as his eyes narrowed slightly, trying to decipher Lorenor’s intent. The boy continued to throw the arbiter for a loop with his questions. He had to applaud his sudden gumption, but was wondering where this was going.

Leave us alone?... He isn’t thinking… Suddenly the realization hit him and he had to crack a slight smile. The boy could read people, that was for sure. But was what he was planning the right thing to do?

Lorenor nodded to him and Sorahn followed him upstairs, taking a glance at the arbiter on his way up, who seemed lost in thought. Perhaps he wasn’t as comfortable about this situation as Sorahn first thought, or maybe his new protectors didn’t seem quite protective enough.

When they were shown to their private quarters Sorahn closed and locked the door and turned to Lorenor. “You aren’t planning what I think you’re planning, are you?” He said quickly, both excited and unsettled at the idea.

He looked around the luxurious room to the large bed with fine linens, the hardwood tables with exquisite lamps set on them, and finally found an expensive-looking armchair. He sat down and let himself think.

“I can see in his eyes that he thinks we’re just another of his pawns, here to serve our purpose and be tossed aside like one of his fine vlince napkins!” Sorahn said after a few moments, disgust evident in his voice. A silent moment passed again while he thought, until finally he spoke again, much softer.

“He reminds me of my former slave master: a man named Garen… He was a rich coward who would do anything it took to further his own greed and save his own skin… Perhaps it is that resemblance that makes me hate him.” He looked down to the floor, staring off into space as memories of his servitude came rushing back, as they often did.

Slowly he brought himself back and looked up to Lorenor. “I wanted to kill him, Lorenor. I wanted to summon my spear and spill his blood right then and there on the table… I still do.”

Suddenly a rush of anger swelled up in him. “This entire church organization is despicable. They tout their moral intentions and ‘faith’ in order to rally the common people behind them, only to use them as tools to overturn a government in their favor to further their own greed and corruption. Not to mention how they blatantly spread their false doctrine even when the Thaynes show themselves so plainly.”

He didn’t even realize that he had stood, and had to take a moment to calm down. His gaze dropped to the floor again. Even he didn’t realize he felt so strongly opposed to this “holy war” and the toll it was taking on a country that he normally wouldn’t even care about. Perhaps he identified so well with the common people, and they were the ones who were suffering to benefit the aristocrats.

“Despite all that…” He began again once had calmed himself. “We still have a mission to carry out. As much as it pains me to help these greedy bastards, I made a vow to Ronah to help you carry out your mission, and our mission is to catch this assassin.”

He looked up to Lorenor again. “That’s what we have to do, and that’s what we will do.”

Mutant_Lorenor
11-07-07, 07:05 PM
Lorenor was seated upon a chair in the room whilst his companion spoke. He could understand the frustration that the warrior was having. After all there is a battle going on outside, everywhere and all around us. And we're mandated not to participate in the battle. This could get ugly for the both of us. I don't want to be stuck in this situation either but here we are. Hopefully something constructive will come from this. Lorenor thought to himself as his companion went on. Lorenor knew that there were very few words that he could say to comfort his friend's restlessness. They would just have to be patient a little while longer whilst the "master plan" to draw out the enemy was underway.

Lorenor allowed his senses to reach their full capacity so he was attuned to the things going on in the next room. Lorenor positioned himself by the wall since he only had a foot to his sensory array. The ghoul closed his eyes as he concentrated on what the Arbiter was saying, doing. He hadn't yet entered the room. He's probably still downstairs. Lorenor wasn't liking this set up at all. Something else was at play there. Lorenor considered that possibility. The Arbiter was clearly a man of considerable skill and power, more so than his friend would give him credit for. Lorenor could see, in his insanity, the power that flowed from th Arbiter.

Lorenor looked over at his companion. "We only need to ensure the safety of the Arbiter. We have to keep him alive if we possibly can. The Cathedral's safety depends on the Arbiter and the Jusctice. I personally don't care much for either side of this war so long as there is a profit to be made." The ghoul said calmly after a long while passed. I'm not trying to cheer him up, I am merely talking because my friend probably needs to hear me talk. His hand went to the specimen of The Endless that followed him like a confused child. Lorenor petted the strange creature calmly and continued in his private thoughts waiting for Sorahn's response.

Meanwhile--

Time passed. Someplace nearby, the storm gathered. A lone individual came walked across the rooftop of a building observing the location where the next Arbiter was rumored to be. Blood dripped from the warrior's blades. The creature was a sentient, standing upright in bipedal form. He had glowing red eyes and seemed to bear the classic markings of an N'Jal Spider Magi. However, this creature was different. Unlike the Magi, it bore different sorts of markings, markings that better suited the creature to be a Ninja or an Assassin. It had as many limbs as an arachnid would have but was considerably smaller than a Spider Magi. This THING was a Spider Ninja.

The creature was dressed completely in black robes made of leather. They covered his person completely. Each of his limbs bore some sort of weapon that grew on the upper thorax. Preparing himself or imminent combat, the Spider Ninja conjured a lining of organic spider silk. He let the string flow from his hands towards a target on the opposite roof. Sliding down the cable, the creature made no sound as it moved and moved with terrible grace. Once upon the rooftop it waited for the perfect moment to pounce against its target...

The Arbiter returned to his room. He felt exhaustion from the day's affairs as he prepared himself for the tasks of the night. So many things were left undone. The Arbiter felt the passage of time closing in around him. Many questions filled his head and he knew that he could not find peace. He hoped that the outlanders would prove themselves soon enough. He loosened the collar on his robe and prepared himself for some quiet meditation in the name of St. Denebriel. As he sat down he felt an unmistakeable tension in the air, as if something was about to happen. Suddenly sensing a tremendous danger afoot, the Arbiter gathered his hidden sword. A shadowy figure approached the lone window in the room and the Arbiter screamed for help.

"But like I was saying--"

Lorenor sensed the crash through the window almost the instant that it happened and felt a terrifying presence coming through the window. The ghoul immediately drew his Plynt longswird and prepared for battle. Figment sprung awake and immediately followed Lorenor to the battle. The ghoul knew he didn't even have to say anything to his companion. He knew that Sorahn would follow. Seeing the Arbiter's door, the ghoul kicked it in to find...

Sorahn
11-12-07, 05:39 PM
Sorahn nodded to Lorenor. They both knew it was for the best that they carry out their mission. They couldn’t allow their own emotions cloud their judgment and make them weak. There was no room for error, so there was no room for distractions. They could simply do like everyone else did: worry about morality later.

Suddenly a crash resounded through the house, and Sorahn reacted purely on instinct. He clenched his fist and in it appeared a solid black spear engraved with ancient Ranoan symbols. It was surrounded by a perpetual aura of darkness. It was the indestructible weapon that Ronah himself forged for Sorahn from his own pain and suffering. He didn’t understand this divine process, but he knew the weapon was connected to him, and that it was quite deadly.

Within an instant they were both outside the Arbiter’s door. Lorenor kicked it in and Sorahn followed. They were met by a horrible spider creature, locked in battle with the Arbiter, who appeared to be losing. No sooner than they opened the door, the Arbiter received a sharp blow to the head, knocking him to the floor, unconscious. Triumphantly, the spider moved in to finish the job.

“Get away from him.”

Sorahn stood in the middle of the room, staring at the spider, his eyes on fire with the fury of an ensuing battle. He slowly pulled off the heavy Salvarian furs covering him, his gaze never faltering, and threw them across the room with a loud crash. His fit upper body, covered in ceremonial Ranoan tattoos and markings, was on full display. He felt much lighter; his movement unhindered.

Confidently, he slid his leg back and raised his arms to assume a traditional Ranoan fighting stance; light and ready for anything. He quickly sized up his enemy, but was only disgusted at its insect-like appearance. He had no idea of the skills and abilities of this spider-ninja, so he would have to assume the worst.

The spider appeared to be quite annoyed at this intrusion, but he would simply dispatch three enemies instead of one. His mission would be accomplished either way; the body count did not matter. He raised his multiple limbs, each bearing a different weapon.

Sorahn felt a rush. He had been here countless times before: standing ready for battle, staring down an enemy, silently watching and waiting, all the while strategizing and deciding on the best plan of attack. This was what he lived for. The flowing adrenaline was like a breath of air, both refreshing and vital.

His muscles flexed slightly. Every single one stood at the height of sensitivity, like a spring wound to maximum tension, ready to react in an instant and send Sorahn flying with a mere reflex. He tightened his grip on his spear, keeping his intense gaze fixed upon the spider. Yet even in his alertness, he was very calm. He waited patiently, letting the spider make the first attack.

Check. Your move.

Mutant_Lorenor
11-12-07, 09:41 PM
((From here on in you can take charge of the battle bro, I'll have Lorenor taking care of a separate errand))

Lorenor immediately moved towards the Arbiter's person. I must protect the Arbiter at all costs, Sorahn can take care of the Spider Magi. And suddenly, Lorenor knew that they faced an enemy constructed by N'Jal herself. A servant of the Dark Mother looked them all in the face right now. Staring them down, coldness flowing from its many sets of eyes. The creature spotted Lorenor as he went towards the Arbiter and annoyance flowed off its person.

Moving quickly, the Ninja reacted by jumping towards the nearest wall and landing upon it. The insect stared at the markings of Lorenor's face, frowning with its many eyes. Looking upon the three Mammalians, the Ninja seemed surprised to find an individual with the markings of N'Jal defending the mortals.

The Ninja pointed towards Lorenor's position and released something. A powerful series of organic cables flowed from one of the arachnids' hands sliding through the air with supernatural speed. Despite the mighty weapon that Sorahn conjured, the Ninja showed no fear either. He placed the cable in between Lorenor's position and the fallen Arbiter attempting to prevent Lorenor from rescuing the Arbiter.

Lorenor followed Sorahn's suit and discarded his own hides. He quickly drew his own plynt weapon and assaulted the cable-line in front of him. I have to protect the Arbiter. Lorenor thought to himself as he moved. Then, all hell broke loose. The initial assault with the cables was the first in a long series of attacks spawned by the Spider Ninja. It waved its hands around and conjured up even more organic cables. Soon, it formed an organic weapon made of the stuff, and tossed the heavy, sticky, shield-like web right at Lord Sorahn's position....the web would land with crushing force if it connected.

Lorenor swung his weapon towards the cable blocking his path. Through some dumb luck, he connected with the cable and was able to pierce the organic line with some degree of skill. Seeing the sticky substance peel off upon his weapon, the ghoul frowned. The stuff developed a thick layer of webbing upon his weapon, quickly attempting to corrode with an acidic like touch. Lorenor had no choice but to abandon the weapon as the beautiful metal was charred.

"LORENOR!" Someone yelled from behind. The ghoul turned around and saw that several of the Arbiter's men came through, and now the battle was more even. Six heads all together and fully armed and dangerous. One of them offered Lorenor a secondary sword made of the metal known as Damascus. The ghoul took a second look at John Mattis' sword and saw that the acid-like compound ate through the weapon within a matter of seconds. The ghoul became angry but focused on the Arbiter. "Protect the Arbiter at all costs!"

The ghoul nodded. They tossed him the sword and Lorenor grabbed it in mid air whilst the Spider Ninja was busy attacking Sorahn. The ghoul dove underneath the spider cable and the war began.

Somewhere in time, the Dark Mother known as N'Jal laughed and laughed.

Sorahn
11-13-07, 12:15 PM
Sorahn didn’t even twitch as he watched the spider. His arms were steady; his feet planted. He could hear his own steady breathing as he waited, like a tiger ready to pounce on its prey. He studied the spider, watching his every move.

Lorenor moved to help the fallen Arbiter, but the spider used webs to block his path. Still, Sorahn made no attempt to move. Lorenor was capable of helping the arbiter, but the spider was his. He awaited the attack that he knew was coming. Suddenly the spider weaved a massive web of cables and hurled it toward his position.

Sorahn simply smiled. As the huge object bared down upon him, he waved his left hand toward it. A stream of black fire swirled around him and shot toward the web, which caught on fire and began to burn away. As the burning mass came down, he made one quick slice with his spear through the now frail webbing and grinned as it all crashed harmlessly around him.

He glanced down at his spear to see a small mass of webbing was stuck to it, wrapping around the black blades. He could see the acid in the web bubbling, attempting to corrode through his weapon, but it failed to even tarnish the indestructible metal. Still, Sorahn frowned at the slight annoyance of it remaining on his weapon. With merely a thought, the spear disappeared in a cloud of black, and the webbing fell to the floor with a wet splat.

Sorahn looked back up to the spider, as the spear suddenly reappeared in his hand, like new. “It’s going to take more than a spider web to defeat me, evil creature.” He said with a grin, as he resumed his fighting stance. A look of anger flashed across the spider’s many eyed face. In his rage he ran toward Sorahn, each of his arms bearing some kind of bladed weapon.

Sorahn loved it when he could make his enemy angry. When he is angry, he makes mistakes. The spider charged straight for him, initiating an attack which he could read like a book. As the spider reached him and moved to strike, Sorahn leapt gracefully over the spider, swinging his spear at him while he flew. He landed behind the spider and spun to prepare for counter attack.

But the spider was experienced as well. He jumped to the left to dodge Sorahn’s attack, and, predicting where he would land, sliced at him with a short sword he held in one of his limbs. Sorahn spun and barely managed to block the attack with his spear. His eyes narrowed as their weapons were locked. He is faster than I thought.

He forcibly threw off the spider’s short sword and quickly dodged as another weapon descended on him. As he moved to counterattack, he saw a small axe coming toward him. He blocked it with his spear, and quickly realized that he had his work cut out for him fighting off six different limbs.

Suddenly one of the soldiers flew toward the spider and began attacking. He received a sharp blow to the chest by one of the spider’s many limbs and flew against the wall. He was lucky the blow wasn’t a fatal one, and Sorahn knew not to rely on the soldiers to help much.

However he took advantage of the spider’s distraction and stabbed his spear toward the spider’s midsection, but his blow was barely evaded. Quickly, he pulled his spear upward and felt a satisfying bump as it connected with one of the spider’s arms, severing the thin limb cleanly from his body.

Most would have rejoiced in this accomplishment, but Sorahn feared he may have merely angered the beast.

Mutant_Lorenor
11-13-07, 04:47 PM
Lorenor took a glance around his shoulder seeing how useless he would be in this battle. Taking task, the ghoul quickly made it to the Arbiter's position. He knelt down to the man and lifted him up over his shoulder. The man weighed quite a bit, but Lorenor was easily able to lift him up over his shoulder with his undead body. Making his way past the battle and into the hallway, the ghoul caught a glimpse of the Spider Ninja taking a quick glance his way.

Apparently the thing's senses worked very similarly to how Lorenor's worked in most respects. Lorenor sheathed his newly acquired damascus sword before he'd picked the Arbiter up. The ghoul moved quickly to rejoin the group of soldier knowing full well that Lord Sorahn could handle the beast by himself if the need arose. Handing over the Arbiter's body, the group of Soldiers were grateful to receive the Arbiter intact and whole.

The ghoul paused as his companions took the Arbiter in their possession. "What is it Lorenor, you've done your job well." One of the Soldiers said. The ghoul simply shook his head. The teachings of the Gol'bron were now instilled in his very heart and soul. Lorenor wanted to help Lord Sorahn dispatch the Spider Ninja at all costs. He turned to look at the soldiers and gave an order. "Archers flank it. We're gonna bring this thing down one way or the other. Hand me one of those crossbows."

The ghoul ordered calmly. The soldiers nodded and gave Lorenor a spare crossbow, it was a simple device really. Lorenor took a quiver of bolts and prepared himself for battle. Some soldiers nearby were loading their own crossbows and longbows knowing full well by now to keep their distance from the creature, it was dangerous. Arrows and bolts flew through the air from their position towards the clever beast. Lorenor loaded his crossbow after observing his fellow soldiers and let loose a single bolt, loading another. He hoped that at least a few of the arrows and bolts would connect with the dangerous spider ninja.

Sorahn
11-14-07, 10:11 PM
The spider quickly recovered from his debilitating injury and leapt toward Sorahn again. He moved to block the incoming attacks, but strained to keep up with the furious onslaught. The spider was throwing blow after blow toward Sorahn; mad with rage.

Sorahn realized his mistake as soon as he made it: a poorly placed block that left him open on the left side. Within an instant he felt a searing pain tear through his arm. He rolled away from the spider and glanced down to see blood running down his arm flowing from his bicep. He bared his teeth and ignored the pain. The wound was not as severe as it looked. It would heal.

Just as the spider moved to take advantage of his injured prey, a volley of arrows flew at him. He managed to evade most of them, but let out an unearthly wail as two connected with his shoulder and lower thorax. Sorahn wasted no time in capitalizing on this distraction. He sprung into the air and spun, bringing his spear down hard on the spider. The spear sliced nothing but air, as the spider slid gracefully out of the way, but Sorahn wasn’t finished. As soon as he landed he switched directions, bringing his spear around again and slicing horizontally.

The spider evaded, but just barely. Sorahn had the upper hand. He could feel it. Victory was close, but his form would have to be perfect. He remained totally focused, the surging adrenaline augmenting his strength. While he had his enemy off balance, he shot a quick jab with the blunt of his spear which connected to the spider’s chest. It wasn’t a forceful blow, but it was all he needed. The spider was open.

Sorahn spun all the way around and put his full force behind his spear. He let out a roar as the blades hurtled toward the spider’s side with crushing speed. Then he felt the satisfying solid kick in his spear that told him it landed just how he wanted.

THWACK.

The spider flew several feet before slamming into the wall, leaving a trail of sticky insect blood in his wake. Sorahn planted his foot to stop his spin, and looked down at his enemy, triumphant. But the victorious grin on his face soon turned to a frown as he saw the spider struggle to his feet and shake it off, raising his weapons to prepare to resume battle, seemingly oblivious to the gaping wound in his side.

Now Sorahn was worried. That attack was perfect. Perfect set up. Perfect form. Perfect execution. To see his enemy shrug it off so easily was not good. It seemed that the spider was nigh invincible, or perhaps still mortal, but extremely strong. How can he be beaten? I can’t do much more to him.

But suddenly he got a renewed sense of courage. Ranoan warriors never surrendered, and they never backed down in the face of even the greatest challenge. If he died, then it was his time to die. What better way to die than on the battlefield, fighting in service to your god?

No… this spider won’t best me. I still have plenty of strength left. I will win.

He let out a powerful roar and charged toward the spider.

Mutant_Lorenor
11-17-07, 01:12 PM
Feeling heavy in his arms, the crossbow felt like it weighed a ton. Lorenor dealt with the burn since it was the only way he could contribute to the fight short of attempting to sacrifice himself for the Gol'Bron. Lorenor wasn't about to do that since he valued his existence. As soon as he saw that his particular bolt struck the Spider Ninja, he prepared to load his crossbow again. Lorenor held his crossbow tucked into one arm whilst his other hand cradled it like a babe. In his other hand, Lorenor held a small group of bolts ready to be launched at his opponent. This type of fighting was more his style. He was getting a chance to be sneaky.

Lorenor stole a glance at his companions and saw that they too were reloading their weapons carefully. This time, they would ensure that not a single bolt or arrow struck at Lord Sorahn. With the Arbiter in a safe location, far away from the battle and getting treated from his injuries, the soldiers could concentrate on getting rid of the Spider Ninja that now stalked them all. Lorenor inserted the bolt into the proper loading position on the crossbow and pulled the cord backwards into a nice tightened position.

He felt the satisfying click in the crossbow when his weapon was loaded. Some of the guards had placed a row of quivers loaded with either bolts or arrows behind the line of archers. There were ten archers now, including Lorenor. In the lower gathering area of the house, several squads of the Agents, those that weren't too busy fending off the soldiers of the King and other miscreants, prepared their blades for glory. They knew that they had to enter a dangerous fray and were prepared to fend off this dangerous new enemy and destroy it where it stood.

The battle looked to be a ferocious one. Lorenor took careful aim at about the same time as his companions took aim. Each of the soldiers preparing their particular loaded weapon and waiting for the hand signal to fire. With such a well trained opponent, it was difficult to land any shots and they were providing Sorahn's only line of defense. Lorenor fired his bolt into a small cloud of arrows and bolts that were just launched off at his opponent. As soon as he'd launched his bolt, the ghoul reloaded his weapon providing Sorahn the only support he could provide him. It was a useless gesture to attempt to battle the spider directly. Lorenor would have to let his leader do the bulk of the fighting.

It was for the better, the ghoul didn't want to get in the way of Lord Sorahn regardless. Several squads of soldiers joined the line of archers and were preparing rank to storm the spider thing directly. High casualties were expected but this was the contingency plan to provide Sorahn with as much support as they could possibly provide him. After all, there was an entire platoon of agents prepared to deal with this threat by any means necessary.

Lorenor prepared a third bolt and was taking aim at the ninja when...

Adjusting to Sorahn's relentless attack, the Ninja carefully depended on its own resolve. Despite the anger it currently felt towards the Mammalian beast he was fighting, the ninja was well trained. It reacted with supernatural grace and agility, reading the movements his opponent made with refined skill. The Ninja knew that this was going to be a long, drawn out battle, but it had many secrets in reserve. Matters were compounded as several bolts and arrows struck its hide-like carapace barely phasing the beast at all. Its most serious injury was the loss of an arm.

Like Sorahn, the injury he'd just received looked more serious than it really was. Corrosive, acid like blood spilled on the ground, dripping from the wound even as it regenerated upon itself. The Ninja prepared its many arachnid arms for battle and took Sorahn head on. But first, it focused upon the vast pool of darkness available at its disposal. Using the teachings of N'Jal now, the beast conjured a powerful air of darkness that tainted the air with its archaic forces.

Now, potent elemental forces were at work. The environment itself started to seem like it was becoming corrupt at the weight of the powerful energies currently at work. The Ninja launched a spray of poison darts made of darkness, tainted with some unknown poison. He launched it directly at Lord Sorahn and then prepared its next move.

Seeing the second volly of arrows and bolts, the creature jumped over it just in time to avoid most of the attack. A few of the arrows and bolts harmlessly pierced its thick hide. In mid-air the creature gracefully launched several cables from its remaining hands and climbed up the spider cables with great speed. It looked down upon Lord Sorahn once it was within a safe distance from the charging Ranoan.

Conjuring yet another attack, the spider prepared an intricate patterns of webs hoping to confuse his opponent and ultimately keep him off guard enough for Sorahn to make yet another mistake. The spider was trying to capitalize on the do-gooders errors. He launched another complex series of webs at the Ranoan warrior from above and waited to see the results of the random chaos he'd just started...

"NO!"

Nearby, a soldier saw the black cloud of stuff that the ninja launched at Sorahn. Sucking up his fear, the warrior bravely intercepted the incoming volley of attacks. He took the wave of darkness head on, and was instantly killed by the poisonous darts. A few of the darts kept going and hit the floor and some nearby walls, vanishing into thin air. They left scorching marks where ever they impacted. The man bled to death and many blotched markings appeared upon the warrior's body, even through his armor. The man fell quickly to the floor.

Sorahn
11-23-07, 07:25 PM
Sorahn could feel the adrenaline running through his veins; giving power to his muscles and masking his pain. Blood from his left bicep had now trickled down to his forearm, but he paid no heed. This spider demon would die by his hands, he was sure of it.

He unleashed a barrage of attacks, but each hit nothing but air. The spider was very skilled and blindingly fast. As fast as he could deliver blows, they were blocked or evaded with unbelievable precision. Finally the spider launched a blow that connected with Sorahn’s chest and knocked him backward. He stumbled slightly but quickly regained his balance, fearing an attack while he was vulnerable. But the spider instead called on a powerful evil.

The room seemed to grow darker; made heavy by the dark forces. Sorahn remained focused, refusing to let the spider’s tricks distract him. Suddenly the spider launched a spray of poisonous darts. He had no armor or shield to block them with and they were moving too fast to avoid. His eyes widened as he prepared for the strike, but to his amazement a soldier leapt out of nowhere, bravely intercepting most of the darts and collapsing to the ground, struck dead instantly.

Sorahn was overwhelmed. He had never had someone offer their life to save his. Not only that, but he didn’t even know this man’s name. He felt a powerful sense of unworthiness. Who was to say his life was more valuable than this man’s?

But he was left no time to feel sorry for the dead man. Cables shot from the ceiling straight toward him. He had to move quickly to avoid being struck by them, leaping from spot to spot dodging the web. He glanced up to see the spider on the ceiling firing the webs at him. Damned coward!

He was filled with rage for the spider for using dirty tactics to gain the upper hand. He let out a powerful roar as more black flames began to swirl around him, engulfing him. The black fire burst outward, lighting all of the webs and cables and burning them to nothingness. With a wave of his arm the flames were sent upward, toward the evil spider, who had no choice but fall from his place of safety to avoid being burned.

The fury began to consume Sorahn, who once again launched on the offensive. With a flick of his wrist he sent out a powerful shockwave, which shook the room and shattered a nearby chair. Immediately he launched forward with a burst of speed. He began moving so fast that time seemed to slow to a crawl for him as he flew through the air. Pieces of debris from his shockwave hovered all around him. Shards of wood and the torn pages of books were suspended as he moved to the spider. He brought the smoking black blade of his spear down on his enemy with the fury of an animal fighting for its survival.

Time resumed as his burst ended but he didn’t let up. He followed with a series of relentless attacks, trying to damage his enemy as much as he could while he had the advantage. The debris fell around him like a rain of destruction as he unleashed his fury upon the assassin.

No mercy.

Mutant_Lorenor
11-24-07, 02:37 PM
Whilst Sorahn and the Spider Ninja fought together in heated combat, the nearby soldiers prepared. They re-loaded weapons and planned strategies knowing full well that none of them could directly engage the Spider Ninja head on. It was simply an opponent that was too powerful. The soldiers took careful aim of the Ninja trying to avoid Sorahn if they could. With their weapons reloaded, they set off another volley of arrows and bolts. Lorenor felt frustrated at this situation and the general pace it was heading. He knew that a plan was needed. Arrows and bolts flowed through the air like a nightmare wind.

It was strange to witness Lord Sorahn's power first hand. He is a powerful ally. I shall have to remember to ask him for some training when this battle is over. Nearby, the Agents of the Cathedral were preparing themselves to storm the Spider Ninja directly. Many of the previously shot arrows and bolts struck directly against the hide of the beast. They jutted out of its person creating a strange pattern of extensions that somehow made the ninja look more terrifying.

Lorenor felt helpless. This was no way to fight. He looked down at his pet, The Endless. The thing was generating all sorts of impatience at the chosen method of combat since it couldn't directly participate. By now, the structural integrity of the walls and floor was beginning to falter due to the pressure of archaic forces unleashed around its person. The Endless wanted a piece of the Spider Ninja. Lorenor had no choice but to comply to that despite his own impatience to fight the creature as well. I want to test my skill against a more powerful opponent but this is suicide!

Lorenor knew there was very little he could do at this point. The soldiers prepared for their run against the Spider Ninja. So Lorenor commanded his Endless to make a forward run. It obeyed. But Lorenor knew that the thing was going to attack despite what the ghoul thought about it. The quick and terrifying creature bounced forward into the battle, quickly covering the ground between its former position and a new position. The ghoul knew that they needed a different tactic here. Nothing was working.

Lorenor leaped suddenly over the rail of the second floor and landed fluidly on the ground on the first floor. The gathering hall was transformed into a make shift command center. Several nearby Agents looked at Lorenor as he broke rank. "You're breaking rank, state your business!" Lorenor was frustrated with the way things were going. "I want to join the forward assault group!" He suddenly declared as the other Agents looked at him with surprise.

"You had a chance, go back to the Archery line!" One of the Agents said in response. "We have to defend Lord Sorahn as much as possible."

"The best way we can do that is putting me on the front line. I don't care if I die." Lorenor suddenly said.

"What makes you so sure?" The commanding officer asked.

"I have a plan."

With the Spider Ninja reacting quickly to what the Ranoan Warrior was doing, the weight of the situation seemed like it was finally hitting home. The Ninja was a powerful creature indeed, and clearly no coward. It was clever, it was intelligent, and its many eyes suggested that it was adapting and planning to the various form of attack that came its way. Bred for destruction, the spider was truly a vessel of the Dark Mother N'Jal. The villain of Althanas who now took advantage of the Althanas World War. Such an age had not been seen since the War of the Tap, or even the Demon's War.

But reacting to the Ninja was an even more clever organism. An organic bi-product of N'Jal's influence on Althanas, The Endless served a slightly different function than it normally would. Feasting on its desire for destruction and chaos, The Endless prepared to directly engage the Ninja in combat. All in the name of the Dark Mother. One of the Ninja's many sets of eyes turned towards the incoming creature but it was already too late. The Endless leaped towards the Ninja's thorax.

Attaching itself to the external armor, The Endless began to eat its way through the armor. The Ninja saw this terrible turn of events and moved to swipe at the creature now attempting to make a meal of the beast. The Endless used its formless teeth to bore its way through the thick hide-like armor. It was working. The thick epidermis of the beast was ripped apart by The Endless' teeth causing another serious injury to the beast...with The Endless attached to the Ninja, the thing had no choice but to concentrate its full assault on Sorahn. It still had many secrets left.

Sorahn
12-10-07, 08:52 PM
One after another Sorahn felt the bump of contact in his spear as his vicious wave of attacks connected. The rage was beginning to consume him. The heat of battle took over and, like many times before, he was driven only by instinct, and the overwhelming desire to see his enemy lying at his feet.

He saw another of the spider’s many limbs fly off in his peripheral vision, oozing insect blood as it sailed away, accompanied by a screech of pain. Victory was close at hand. So close he could taste it.

Finally the spider managed to stop Sorahn’s attacks by blocking his spear with two of his remaining weapons. Their blades locked tightly in a battle of sheer strength. Sorahn bared his teeth as he stared into the ninja’s many eyes. His muscles began to shake under the strain, until finally he thought he could push no more. The spider was extremely strong, and he found that he would quickly be overpowered. He became blatantly aware of the gaping wound in his left arm, which was quickly loosing strength.

I will not give in. I will never be defeated by such a despicable creature. He thought as he could feel his muscles beginning to fail. His arms were aching, and the gash in his left bicep seared with a fiery pain. “Argh… NO!” He yelled finally and suddenly lunged forward with his head, sending his long black horns barreling straight for the spider’s face.

Sorahn’s head lurched as his horns smashed into their target, and he heard a terrible wail of pain. The assassin scrambled to cover his bleeding face, trying to nurse his damaged eyes. Suddenly he collapsed to the ground, as Sorahn’s black blade cleanly cut through his weight supporting legs. The room was filled with inhuman cries of agony, causing pain to Sorahn’s large, sensitive ears. But he ignored it. It was time to finish the job.

With a few quick swings Sorahn removed the spider’s remaining weapon baring limbs, leaving the once fierce assassin reduced to a helpless thrashing body. Sorahn stood watching the spider for a moment, and a look of disgust crossed his face. Not at the copious amount of blood that was now spilling on the floor, or the writhing remnants of the spider, but at an enemy who came in the name of evil, and fought without honor.

It got what it deserved.

Sorahn dropped his spear, which disappeared in a cloud of blackness before reaching the floor, and turned his back on his defeated enemy and made his way out of the room.

Mutant_Lorenor
12-11-07, 12:00 PM
((Minor bunnies bro))

Almost immediately, the Agents that were gathered reacted like a swarm of fire ants. With poisoned blood spewing everywhere from the crippled body of the Spider Ninja, the thing looked upon its conqueror with many eyes. There was hate in each and everyone of those eyes that seared to the very atma. Within moments, a special net was prepared made of steel cables to capture the predatory Ninja before it could harm again.

Before it found a way to escape from the battle. Already, the clever spider was heading towards the window to fashion itself a steady escape route. It had one more place it could spew its spider cables from. Preparing the webbing, the creature was prepared to make a hasty escape seeing that his mission had failed.

The injuries that he'd received at the hands of Sorahn un' Rohnahmeh werel nearly fatal, but the ninja would live. Lorenor heard the shrieking shouts and stared up at the direction of the room. His legs were moving before he realized what he was doing. He saw the moving form of Sorahn walking away from the battle and assumed that the time had come. Lorenor smiled at his leader and walked towards him.

"We bested the fell beast?" Lorenor asked of his Master Sorahn. "You are injured, will you need treatment?" Lorenor asked the follow up question. He saw the regimen of men suddenly swing the net towards the spider ninja as blades of steel latched themselves against the floor. They trapped the spider ninja in place, even as its blood was beginning to burn at the cables. The men worked quickly to capture the beast and secure more cables around the creature. Someone took a war hammer and swung the heavy weapon directly at the beast's head effectively knocking it out for the count. The ninja was seeing stars.

The Captain of the Agents walked over to Sorahn and Lorenor's position. "The Justice is safe and we have captured the Spider Ninja at will. You are now free to pursue your own duties. We'll wrap things up here and secure the beast in one of our prisons. You have done well. With the identity of the Assassin revealed we can warn our brethren about their combat tactics and how to subdue them. What weapons to use." The captain saluted the two brave warriors and returned to his duties after giving the two of them the message. After a time, the Justice himself went over to greet Lorenor and Sorahn.

"Well done. Thanks to you, I can return to my duties safely and be without fear. The nature of our enemy has been revealed and it is that cursed N'Jal! She attempts to usurp glory from the Salvarns. But no matter we are a proud people that have overcome such menaces before." He walked passed the duo. "By the way. If you were to ask me of where battles were taking place, I would say that Castle Rahaxea is a prime candidate to support the front-line in the war." He said with a sly grin on his face, mostly appealing to the warrior within Sorahn. "I'd say someone would be great heroes to Salvar if they were able to ascertain the fate of the former King."

With the words laced with venom at the mention of the King, the Justice walked away before anything could be said. He had matters to attend to. His injuries were already treated and he needed to be busy with matters of the Church. Things became relatively calm...and the two were left to their own devices.

Sorahn
12-18-07, 11:49 PM
Sorahn walked calmly out of the room like a worker who had just finished a task that needed to be done. The enemy was defeated; his mission was a success. Yet somehow he was not brimming with joy and contentment. He was glad to rid the world of such a despicable creature, but other than that he took no pride in his mission. He still wore a frown as he stepped into the main hall.

Lorenor’s call directed his attention downstairs. “My arm?” He glanced down to the wound in his bicep, which had now painted his arm red. The generous amounts of adrenaline still flowing in his blood acted as a barrier, keeping the searing pain from reaching his brain. He looked at the wound with calm indifference, as if someone had pointed out something uninteresting.

“I will recover. I just need to stop the blood.” He said casually. Looking around him, he saw a very intricate and obviously expensive tapestry hanging on the wall, depicting what must have been a scene from the church's holy texts. He stuck his claw into the finely woven pattern and ran it down the length, tearing the costly fabric to shreds. Finally he tore off a strip long enough to be used as a bandage and proceeded to wrap it tightly around his arm, pulling the knot tight with his teeth. Satisfied with his job, he looked straight into the Arbiter’s eyes, daring him to mention something about the ruined tapestry. He watched the aristocrat’s face twist from a look of disgust to one of forced cordiality and he assumed his message was clear.

The Arbiter spoke of the front lines, mainly directed towards Sorahn, who through amazing feats of self-control resisted the urge to remove the man’s ability to speak. Rich children play games with others’ lives. But I see the end result. It is my friends and brothers who die. It is the same in Salvar as it is in Corone. All these wars are so meaningless.

He glanced down to Lorenor. At least I serve a group of men who are honorable; men who work for their living and respect other men. It is they who should lead.

He descended the staircase and moved to Lorenor after the Arbiter had left the room. “You fought well, my friend.” There was a silent pause as they stood alone in the great hall. Each movement they made echoed off the high ceilings and walls.

“Well then. Where to now?”

Mutant_Lorenor
12-19-07, 11:55 AM
((I'm moving events forward. We're slightly behind schedule bro. So I hope you don't mind small use of bunnying))

Lorenor developed an interest in the state of affairs at Castle Rahaxea. The soldiers revealed to him that there was great unrest in the castle and a coup attempt by the Church was currently underway. Lorenor looked at Sorahn with a look of mischief in his eyes. That matter we spoke of earlier. It's time for the Red Hand to make its mark again. Lorenor thought eager to place his name in the history books. Their mere participation in the affairs of Salvar had already guaranteed that. The ghoul thought for a moment. Where to next huh? That was a great question. There are many battles happening everywhere, I still want to participate in some of them. We've completed oour job, captured the Assassin alive and protected what Justices we could.

"We head to the Castle. There are things going on there, things we must ensure go down the way they are supposed to go down. Again, our involvement should be as ghosts my Lord. There are plenty of people to call enemy on the field so we shouldn't have any trouble finding more fights."

Lorenor was eager to prove himself further. The compliment was a serious boost to his self confidence. He hadn't expected something like that from his Leader. Sorahn was just full of surprises. In the development of time from the Spider's capture to the present moment, Figment emerged from the beast and rejoined with his Master, Lorenor. In turn, the ghoul petted his companion carefully. The ghoul knew that Figment was just as eager for battle as he.

"Well then, let's go. I'm eager to try out my new crossbow and sword." Lorenor quickly went back upstairs and gathered himself an extra quiver of bolts, fifty bolts in all. They were made out of fine liviol and tipped with steel bolts. The ghoul wrapped the strap of the quiver around his shoulder and attached the crossbow to his belt. He'd learned a new skill that day which was essential to his growth as a warrior. Placing the scabbard of the Damascus sword at his hip, the ghoul was ready for the next battle. Now done with the chore of preparation, Lorenor returned to Sorahn's side. He was eager to learn how to fight as effectively as Sorahn fought.

"Can you teach me your code of combat while we're on the battlefield? It would be most useful to me." Lorenor suddenly asked.

Meanwhile--

Word quickly spread that the final Justices in the Assassination attempt survived the fatal act. N'Jal stared at the globe of Althanas and looked down upon it with great disdain. Her siblings had caused great amounts of civil strife across the land. It was time for a great equalizer to arrive. It was time for the Second Age of Darkness to arrive. N'Jal was prepared as she eyed the activities in Raiaera. One of Morian's pupils was using the powers of the Eternal Tap without worry of consequence to defeat a group of foes at Valinatal. N'Jal saw her opportunity. Preparing herself in a state of deep concentration, she smiled grimly. She would have her revenge.

Happening elsewhere--

Castle Rahaxea. Weeks had passed since the conflict started. Iorlan Rahaxea shifted uncomfortably in his empty throne room. Only himself and a few carefully picked guards were kept hidden in various locales around the throne room. The stage was now set. He heard that his dark dealings with N'Jal were stopped by a group of meddling outsiders. The throne room opened. Someone approached. Looking up from a state of deep concentration, the King saw...

"Lemmers, what can I do for you? I told you never to come here without proper invitation. Even though you're my guest..."

"Spare me the pish posh King. The time has come for me to claim my throane." Lemmers said as he approached the king and drew a weapon made of Damascus. The King suddenly stood up and drew his own weapon, a weapon made of Dehlar. The two warriors had swords. So it finally came down to this. The King thought as he prepared for imminent battle. He saw several of his men begin to approach Lemmers, but he waved them off.

"I'll deal with Lemmers myself, return to your positions!"

"I applaud you My Liege. That was a fine choice you just made. There doesn't need to be a waste of lives needlessly." Lemmers wore a grin on his face. He prepared himself to battle the King. Not particularly contracted by any one sect, Lemmers was acting on his own. He didn't care about the coup attempt by the Cathedral. His chain of informants had granted him knowledge about the entire situation at Salvar. He just came to claim the throne for himself.

"Prepare yourself Iorlan Rahaxea! Your reign ends tonight! The time for Lemmers Xer'Xan is nigh!"

"I shall prevent that Lemmers, you've made a fatal mistake today!"

"We shall see."

The two warriors crossed blades...

Walking towards the Castle was a major task now. Lorenor had his thick hides on in an attempt to ward off the cold. With his new sword already drawn, the small warrior understood that battles could take place at any moment. He saw a few street fights happening outside. The platoon of Agents remained outside the Justice's house prepared for any incident to occur. They nodded towards Sorahn and Lorenor as the two warriors passed by them. Now that they were officially off duty, Lorenor could concentrate on scoring some battles for himself. After all, Salvar was as much a native homeland as was Haidia. The time for vengeance was upon them all.

"[b]So if you teach me Lord Sorahn. I will be willing to learn this Code of yours."

As he walked, he could hear the sounds of the battle all around. It was now a point of carefully choosing which battles to fight. Spotting the Castle ahead, Lorenor took the front position. A large crowd of warriors gathered before the castle in an attempt to storm the castle gates. However, there was an ambush and another group of warriors intercepted the previous group initiating armed conflict. Men and women were dying. The ghoul could not help but to smile. He turned to look at his companion, Lord Sorahn. Figment followed him the entire time the creature was constantly staring at the field around it for a new host to conquer...

Sorahn
12-20-07, 01:10 PM
The snow made soft crunching noises as Sorahn trudged through it, returning to his silent, contemplative mood. They were headed for the castle, which was a major battleground where they would certainly be put to good use. He looked down to his companion. The warrior was still young; still eager to prove himself in battle and taste victory. He sought conflicts just for the experience.

Sorahn grinned just slightly. The ghoul reminded him of himself only a few years ago. He joined the great Bazaar War just to fight, and to have something to fight for. Little did he know that it would prove to be one of the most important decisions he would ever make, leading to his involvement in the Red Hand, his relationship with Ithermoss, and his eventual leadership. So in that sense Sorahn admired the ghoul’s ambition. Plus he knew that the only way to gain experience is simply to try. All he needed was a little guidance.

But Sorahn hesitated when he was asked to teach. He never considered himself a good teacher, and his last attempt at teaching someone alchemy proved disastrous. The thought of teaching someone his fighting technique had never crossed his mind. He had always considered himself still a student. He had been taken from Ranoa when still under a teacher’s instruction and he never finished his studies. The rest he tried to learn by experience and trial and error.

“I…” He managed after some time, “I’m not a good teacher.” The words sounded like a pitiful excuse, even to himself, so he tried to think of how he taught himself, and what the Ranoan’s taught him. “When you attack… your goal is to… flow.” He began shakily. He was having immense difficulty putting the concepts into words. It would have been simple for him to explain in Ranoan, but the human language was foreign to these ideas. He tried to think of an example.

“A boulder rolling down a hill becomes harder to stop as it gains speed. It destroys all in its path because it doesn’t stop. You have to do the same. Use your body and your blade to create one fluid motion. It’s like… music. Each part flows to the next.”

Finally he gave up. He had no idea how to put the concepts of carrying momentum into human words. On top of that, Ranoan martial arts are skills that have been passed down for thousands of years, perfected and mastered along the way. They could not be taught in a day by even the greatest teacher.

“Simply keep practicing and gain real battle experience. Eventually your body will teach you a fighting style that will work better for you than anything I could teach you.”

He smiled slightly; pleased with himself at probably the best words he had spoken all day.

Mutant_Lorenor
12-20-07, 03:21 PM
Lorenor listened to the words of his Master. Considering them greatly, the words sounded very similarly to the words of the Monks of Ai'bron. Like it or not, the Ranoan Warrior put Lorenor on the path to achieving a level of greatness on Althanas that he would never have thought possible.

Arriving at the Castle was the next part of the plan. He saw its structure just up ahead and immediately heard the sounds of battle. Agents of the Cathedral were fighting loyalists to the throne, who in turn, fought against people taking their own side. It was like a tree-way war. Lorenor liked those odds and prepared himself to defend the Agents of the Cathedral. He would also side himself with the people of Salvar. He noticed that during the battle, those marked with the clothing of the Agents weren't fighting against the people.

They went out of their way to protect the people. The loyalists to the throne were mercilessly striking down anyone that came their way. "Sorahn look, those loyalist bastards are attacking the people. I think they are our enemy." Lorenor said calmly giving himself an objective. He thought with the mentality of a Cathedral's Agent, but at the same time he was a member of the Red Hand, first.

Fighting alongside his Master served as a critical moment for the ghouls' growth as a person. He loaded his crossbow with a bolt and readied it at the attack position. Taking aim at one of the red-armored members of the King's Guard, Lorenor let a bolt fly through the air. His aim was true, and the bolt struck a man in the shoulder, distracting him. A nearby Agent of the Cathedral spotted this opening and took care of the Red Guard immediately and dispatched him. Lorenor loaded another bolt and prepared to take out members of the Red Guard from a distance. The Red Hand struck the Red Guard like a fist from the sky.

"Let us rescue the people my Lord Sorahn." Lorenor said and concentrated on his task at hand. He would fight from a distance providing support to both the Cathedral Agents and the people of Salvar. He waited to see what Sorahn would do. Castle Rahaxea lurked just ahead, several yards before them all...and their destiny.

"Argh!"

Cried the King of Salvar. Lemmers was proving to be quite a skilled warrior and the King's age was catching up with him. An ugly beast. The two warriors fought in the dark causing the clanging of swords to cascade in the air. Lemmers wore a grin on his face. "If you give up now, I'll let you leave the Castle alive."

"Why Lemmers, what do you hope to accomplish? We gave you political asylum from your enemies in Corone and this is the way you repay us?"

"Don't try to play coy with me NOW my dear King Iorlan. I came here because I knew the throne was weak. It was my plan to take power all along!"

"Damn you Lemmers!"

Exchanging attacks, the two titans fought blow for blow. But Lemmers had a plan! He'd gone to visit with his old friend, Rinklaud, the scientist, before he opted to stay at the Cathedral. Arming himself with the latest in magitect artifacts, the usurper came prepared to become the new King of Salvar. He grinned the entire time, his face twisted with madness as he fought in the ways of the fencer. The King wielded his weapon with both hands and was having trouble keeping up with Lemmers.

Power was rapidly slipping away from the Rahaxea dynasty...

The end was close at hand and they both knew it.

Sorahn
12-20-07, 09:59 PM
Sorahn’s eyes narrowed as his sharp vision surveyed the battle. He didn’t answer Lorenor, but stood almost perfectly still, save for his tail, which swayed behind him, brushing carelessly at the snow. His gaze was intense as he glanced around the fray, all the while thinking and strategizing. The mass of fighters was thick, and charging in headfirst would be reckless and would most certainly result in death.

I think it’s time I introduced the Salvarians to my pet.

Yes, master. Came the response in his head. He remained totally still as the chilled breeze blew his hair around his face, simply waiting patiently. He knew what he would do. The people of Salvar were oppressed just like the people of Corone, and innocent people were dying simply to protect freedoms that should always belong to them. These people were worth fighting for.

After a very long silent moment he finally spoke to Lorenor. “Stay low. Use the crossbow to attack from a distance as long as you can.” He said, still looking toward the battle. “And it would be helpful if you could take out any archers you see. I will rejoin you later.” He knew his advice was cryptic, but soon it would all make sense. Finally he looked at the ghoul as a sly grin formed on his face.

“Long live the Red Hand.”

Suddenly he leapt into the air as high as he could, flipping backward in the air. He felt as if he was suspended in the air, inverted; his arms spread wide. That instant, the great black dragon known as Nyris swooped down from behind them, wings spread wide and gliding mere inches above the snow. He laid his head down flat with his body to keep his profile low as he flew directly underneath Sorahn’s head, causing his hair to blow with the wind. Sorahn completed his back flip and landed gracefully in the saddle on Nyris’s back.

And like that they were off. Nyris pulled up and they soared over the snowy landscape straight toward the battle. Sorahn held firm to the handle on the saddle, with no need for reigns of any kind. The mental link between him and the dragon had grown so strong that the dragon felt like another limb, as natural to him as his own arm. Together as one body, they flew into the battle as Nyris let out a powerful roar.

The dragon took a deep breath and black flames poured from his mouth like a deadly cloud. Sorahn reached out with his arms, making gestures as if manipulating something invisible and the very flames responded. They parted and flowed like liquid as Sorahn guided them downward on the loyalists.

And fire shall rain from above…

Mutant_Lorenor
12-21-07, 10:30 AM
St. Denebriel's Cathedral.
Incident Report.
October 22nd, CP 1805

Agents of the Cathedral spotted the dragon at approximately 8:00PM to 9:00PM at the height of the siege at Castle Rahaxea. Involvement of the Red Hand, disguised as Agents of the Cathedral was obvious now. Outside involvement of the Red Hand complicated matters since it was clear that Agents of the Cathedral alone were not enough to deal with the situation. We sent our Agent named Lorenor along with a companion of his to investigate the matter. Reports were unclear, but initial statements stated that Sorahn himself rode that mysterious dragon into the heard of the battles.

Loyalists to the throne were immediately burnt with the liquid fire. Many were killed. Agents tried to subdue hostiles but keep them alive. The Crown's Loyalists fought well into the night until they received orders stating otherwise from a new King...

Signed.
~~Arbiter Rexian O'Lonien ((Contains the Seal of the Arbiters as proper identification to the Justice of the Cathedral. Official records of the incident report depicting the Battle at Rahaxea))

"Long live the Red Hand."

Lorenor found himself saying with a soft grin on his face. Seeing the huge dragon, the ghoul was already used to seeing the thing show up. Letting off a bolt every few moments, the reload process took considerable time, the ghoul picked off loyalists where he could. Suddenly, his eyes spotted snipers perched approximately several yards from the main force. Containing the situation at hand, Lorenor ran towards the East in the snipers' general direction.

They were perched near a barricade set up hours earlier. Sounds of death touched his ears as he maneuvered. There were panicked screams as the dragon showed up. A few veteran warriors managed to keep their cool. A moment later, some at the battle of Castle Rahaxea fled for the lives fearing the wrath of the dragon. Those that were stalwart stayed to fight to the death, even against a dragon and a skilled dragon rider. Lorenor turned his attention away from the scene of the raw carnage.

At that point he wasn't a member of the Cathedral anymore. He was a member of the Red Hand. Working his way around the snipers, Lorenor played to his strengths. He saw some low overhanging trees and decided that he was going to take advantage of the trees. Aiming at the branches, the small warrior carefully checked the trajectory of his shot. He was no expert with the crossbow, but he was quickly catching on. Lorenor launched a quick shot with the bolt and watched it sail quickly towards its intended target.

Almost as soon as the ghoul fired off his shot, he moved a few paces forward and hid behind a large rock that covered his small size. He watched the bolt ricochet off the tree branch and hit harmlessly into the snow. His first attempt at a trajectory shot failed. With his weapon loaded, Lorenor carefully took aim once more. Letting the bolt loose, he adjusted his aim carefully enough so that he guessed the mathematical angle needed to precisely hit his target. It was all physics, after all.

Hissing through the air, the second bolt hit the tree branch at just the right angle and bounced downward in a harsh line. The line directly coincided with one of the nearest snipers and a moment later, the bolt struck the head of the sniper, piercing his skull and killing the man. The body lurched forward as it died and his companions looked at the fallen warrior with a look of terror. They were trying to figure out where the bolt came from. With one of the five snipers down, the ghoul could concentrate on taking out the rest of them without trouble...

Sometime later, Lorenor dispatched the group of snipers. With panic in the air it was an easy task of moving and picking off targets as they reacted to his assault. Since he was fighting from slightly higher grounds, he had the advantage in the battle. He was like a boulder crushing its way down a long hill. Once he was done dispatching them, Lorenor walked the distance to their position. He stabbed the wounded with his sword to ensure the fact that they remained dead. He knew the score. They have to be killed to the last man. No surrender, no retreat. No mercy.

Loading his crossbow once again, Lorenor proceeded to pick off what loyalists remained...

Sorahn
12-22-07, 11:07 PM
Sorahn shifted his weight in the saddle as the dragon banked to make another pass. Already the chaos had taken over down below and soldiers from both sides were taking advantage of the sudden madness. He had managed to take out maybe a couple of soldiers, but he was merely providing support, and he had to admit, he was showing off a little bit.

But even still he remained focused. Even though he rode atop a dragon high in the air he was still in danger. He had instantly become the target of every archer in the area, and within seconds he heard arrows whizzing past him. Luckily the dragon’s speed made them a more challenging target, but one true arrow could spell disaster for Sorahn.

He and the dragon began a beautiful airborne dance to avoid the arrows. Swaying this way and that, diving, banking; it was poetry of motion as they flew. Quickly glancing down, he saw Lorenor doing just as he suggested and taking care of some of the archers. Finally he could focus on attack again.

With simply a thought the dragon fell into a dive, as Sorahn’s blade appeared in his hand. He flipped the spear around and brought it up over his shoulder, ready to throw. Eyeing a soldier down below, he steadied his aim as best he could and waited until the right moment. The dragon flew low and began pulling up, and Sorahn launched the spear directly toward the man, striking him directly in the chest. As the poor man collapsed to the ground, the spear disappeared from his chest in a cloud of blackness, returning to whatever nether reaches it was from, ready for Sorahn to summon it again.

With a sharp bank, the dragon pulled up and perched himself on top of one of the castle’s towers. A few battlements broke off under the dragon’s weight, but the massive stone tower had no problems supporting him. Sorahn gracefully leapt from the dragon’s back and summoned his spear in mid air. He landed on the tower and quickly swung his blade and took down a startled guard.

The dragon reared up, spread his wings and roared loud, causing at least one of the soldiers to drop his weapon out of fear. Sorahn proceeded across the top of one of the castle walls. Behind him, Nyris unleashed another torrent of fire directly at his back, aimed along the top of the wall. Sorahn held up one hand and the flames bent harmlessly around him, continuing down the path on the castle wall and caused the soldiers to turn and run. They received some burns on their arms but lived. One soldier turned back to fight Sorahn and soon their blades locked. Quickly Sorahn realized just how fatigued he already was, and how weak his injured arm had become. Luckily, the soldier didn’t posses much combat experience and he managed to defeat him.

He looked up to see two more soldiers running to the opposite tower and down the staircase, obviously terrified of the dragon and this furry beast that rode it. Sorahn simply stood and watched as they fled. Chasing them down would only result in more senseless death. They would not be fighting, and so his goal was accomplished.

Calmly he turned and looked down over the battle. His sharp, animal eyes scanned the terrain for any sign of Lorenor.

Mutant_Lorenor
12-23-07, 01:54 PM
"You are beaten! Surrender now and I repay you for your hospitality by letting you escape with your life."

"You're a monster Lemmers! Salvar ill needs a Ruler like you."

"On the contrary. Salvar needs a strong ruler. You've been weak and allowed the Cathedral to grow powerful under your own watch. I will take care of the Cathedral where you have failed. Even now, forces are at work to ensure that the Cathedral's coup attempt fails."

"What coup attempt?"

"Ahahahah! This is rich. The King kept in the dark by his own agents! All I had to do was place a few pouches of gold in the proper hands and they spilled their guts out to me, quite literally. They hated you My Lord. Salvar will do well with a replacement crown, even though I'm a foreigner I've been studying your lands for quite sometime now. I've studied you and your administration quite carefully. Now I know how to be a better ruler than you ever could be. So surrender now. Like I said before, you are beaten."

Iorlan looked up at Lemmers and saw the truth in Lemmerz eyes. There was an insanity there, but a logic there as well. Iorlan gritted his teeth and slowly began to accept his fate. He knew that he wouldn't do his followers any good dead. So he did what no King ought to do. He surrendered to the superior warrior. Salvar needed a warrior King.

Letting his sword drop for a moment, he saw the madness of the Civil War for a long moment. The war that was started by himself and the Church, and now all of Salvar suffered because of it. True, the global economy suffered because of Salvar's Civil War. It was happening at the same time as Corone's own Civil War. Iorlan Rahaxea slowly reached up to the crown on his head. With a reluctant flick of the wrist he tossed the crown to his enemy, Lemmerz. The crown bounced across the solid floor for a few moments and skidded towards Lemmerz' feet. Seeing his victory, the usurper carefully studied the events unfolding before him. He rotated his sword in his hand and sheathed it a moment later.

"You are free to go Rahaxea. Former King." Lemmerz said with a hint of sadness in his voice.

"I will not forget this act of treason Lemmerz."

"You know I am right Iorlan." Iorlan prepared himself to leave using hidden exits in the castle to secure his safe leave from the premises. Moving past Lemmerz, the warrior suddenly moved. He took a quick stab at Iorlan's back-side and pierced the man's flesh. Iorlan screamed in disbelief at the further insult that Lemmerz caused him! Blood streaked down from the injury and he clutched at his chest. A moment later, Lemmerz removed the sword.

"Insurance. Now you may leave."

Without a second thought, the fallen King of Salvar left the castle of his forefathers. Lemmers took the crown and decided to put an end to the madness of the Civil War. His first action as King was to approach the balcony area and call off the fighting happening at his own doorstep. He knew he could do nothing about the Agents of the Cathedral, but he knew he could rally the commoners against those willing to fight. Seeing the crown pass to a new host, the gathered soldiers in the throne room looked upon King Lemmerz Xer'Xan and the dynasty of the Xer'Xan household began.

All of the sudden, Lorenor saw something he hadn't expected to see. The King of Salvar emerged from a chamber deep within the monstrosity of the castle and walked upon a balcony that overlooked the battlefield. Lorenor saw a man that he was all too familiar with. Lemmerz Xer'Xan from two previously failed assassination attempts here (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=6278) and
here (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=6616) at the hands of the Cathedral Agent known only as Lorenor.

Recognizing Lemmerz, the ghoul prepared himself to take a quick shot at Lemmerz. Preparing his crossbow, the ghoul suddenly felt a respite from The Endless. His pet, Figment bit him on the ankles and caused a sudden pain to pierce his flesh. The Endless sang songs of retribution for such an act if Lorenor were to attempt to assassinate Lemmerz in such a way. Defeated by the Endless, Lorenor lowered his crossbow and simply waited to hear what Lemmerz had to say. He was shocked to see Lemmerz wearing the crown.

That swine got away again! He's a slippery bastard. Lorenor ducked down behind the rocks. When word spread across the crowd that the King was present, all fighting stopped and came to a dead-halt. Sorahn's dragon overlooked the battlefield adding a mystical feeling to Lemmerz' sudden appearance. In one quick motion, Lemmerz raised a closed fist to signal an end to the fighting.

Immediately, all of the commoners and the soldiers of the Red Guard stopped fighting. The Agents of the Cathedral no longer had an immediate threat before them and stepped back as well. They sheathed their weapons and waited to hear what the new King of Salvar had to say.

"People of Salvar. My name is Lemmerz Xer'Xan. Your former King had embraced me like a Brother. I am hear to inform that the reign of terror caused by King Iorlan Rahaxea has come to end. No more churches will burn, thusly there will be no more need to the fighting. Salvar will move on.
Now comes the time of rebuilding. We will treat our injuries and move forward. As the King has welcomed me like a Brother, so too, you must welcome me as such. I have a feeling that we will work together to create a strong Salvar. A prosperous Salvar! Come with me my Brothers and Sisters and work with me to help rebuild our great land!"

There was a momentary pause as the groups of warriors on both sides eyed one another. After a moment, anybody who still had arms in their hand sheathed their weapons and brother embraced brother. The ceaseless fighting finally came to an end with a diplomatic solution from a betrayer.

He listened to this with gritted teeth as he observed what was happening. The ghoul continued to hang on to his crossbow for a moment longer before finally sheathing his weapon. He looked up at the position of Nyris and knew that Sorahn would be up there somewhere. He nodded in Sorahn's general direction.

The time of the Red Hand was upon them all.

Gathering his wits about himself, he knew he would have to meet with this King Xer'Xan. Lorenor ran towards the castle and used an side entrance to penetrate the castle unnoticed. Figment followed close behind. He would meet up with Sorahn in the castle hallways just before the throne room. He hoped that Sorahn would be there and would know what to do.

Sorahn
12-23-07, 11:47 PM
The breeze was beginning to grow cold on Sorahn’s fur. Standing still was reducing his body heat, but yet he remained still, studying the battlefield below as if watching an interesting play unfold. He looked out on the snow-covered land with a pensive expression, glancing from skirmish to skirmish watching soldiers locking blades and fighting until there was no more strength in them. He had a disturbing feeling that soon he too would have to fight with this much passion; to fight with every ounce of his will because everything he loved and cared about was at stake. Salvar meant very little to him, but it meant the world for these soldiers, and he knew that soon he would have to fight, just as they did, for all that he held dear. Visions of the town, the Red Hand, and Rehnahlia danced in his head.

”The fate of much will depend on the actions of the coming days.”

Nyris snorted purposefully and Sorahn was pulled back to reality. He glanced down below again only to find the fighting had stopped. All the soldiers had ceased their hostilities and now all were looking upward. His eyes narrowed as he turned to look down the castle wall to see a figure standing in a balcony. He listened carefully to the man’s words with rapt fascination as his mind began racing.

Lemmerz Xer’Xan…welcomed as a brother… He repeated the words in his head, carefully considering the full impact of what was happening. He quickly looked down and searched the area intently for Lorenor. Finally he saw him just as the ghoul appeared to be looking straight at him, giving him a nod and then taking off for the castle.

He didn’t know who Lemmerz Xer’Xan was, but he knew what was at stake and he wasn’t going to leave it all to chance. Guessing that Lorenor was thinking the same thing, he set off toward the nearest tower and proceeded down the staircase into the castle. Nyris remained perched atop the tower, like a giant living gargoyle, reminding everyone that Sorahn had not left yet, and that this was not over.

Mutant_Lorenor
12-24-07, 01:20 PM
St.Denebriel's Cathedral
Incident Report Number Two
October 22nd CP 1805

Involvement of the Red Hand was obvious by now. Scrutinizing our Agents has become a must. We weren't able to ascertain the identities of the traitors. This matter has become a minute matter compared to the identity of the new King of Salvar. After our enemy, King Iorlan Rahaxea was removed from power, a new King took over. One who would be more tolerant of the Cathedral's affairs. Burnings of our noble cathedrals would immediately stop and we could focus on our repairs. Insofar as the involvement of the Red Hand goes, we don't yet know if they are friend or foe. Only time will tell.

Signed.
~~Arbiter Rexian O'Lonien ((Contains the Seal of the Arbiters as proper identification to the Justice of the Cathedral. Official records of the incident report depicting the Battle at Rahaxea))

Meanwhile--

"The prophecy came true just as I warned you. Only you didn't listen to my warnings."

"Nenkulor!"

"Look at you now. How the mighty have fallen. But you still have allies. I still require you for the prophecy to come true."

"What do you need now? Can't you see I've suffered enough already!"

"Yes. I know that you've lost your crown but not your royal heritage. The power lurks in your blood. And I've acquired all the samples that I need from you. But in order for the prophecy to come true, I need you alive. You will do exactly as I say from here on in understand? You lost everything because you didn't listen to me."

"Curse you Nenkulor. I should never have made that deal with you. But your words speak true. I am listening. I know I have very little say in this matter anyway as I am a fallen King."

"Wise choice. Now listen to me very carefully. We will have a lot of time on our hands. In order for you to become an acolyte, you have to understand all of my teachings."

"Very well. I shall do my best since I have nothing but time on my hands now."

"The teachings of Nenkulor are as follows..."

And so it began. One would rise and one would fall. The ancient prophecy spoken in the common tongue by Devon Starslayer to a past incarnation of Lorenor was repeated once again. In a hidden location somewhere in Salvar, Iorlan Rahaxea, survivor of the incident at Castle Rahaxea, was seen to his wounds. He would become one of Nenkulor's finest Prophets.

The trip to the castle went off without a hitch. A few isolated skirmishes with the guards slowed Lorenor down somewhat, but he was able to dispatch them with considerable effort. He was moving quickly and didn't have any time to be slowed down when considering the rendezvous point with Sorahn. Once he reached the throne room's area the ghoul prepared himself for his third meeting with Lemmerz.

But damn he's a slippery bastard. I'll make sure he pays for that equally as he's still a target of the Cathedral. I know I can't kill him yet, but there will come a time when I must bring down a King of Salvar. Still an agent of the Cathedral, Lorenor prepared himself to have a meeting with the new King of Salvar. It was in the interest of the Red Hand to secure just such an allegiance.

Drawing his weapon, the ghoul saw several guards up ahead. These men, he met with battle and brought up John Mattis' sword to assist him in combat.

The battle ended swiftly. Lorenor was only trying to incapacitate with his combat knowledge. Having felled four soldiers of the crown, Lorenor sheathed his weapon and awaited the arrival of Lord Sorahn. Already, the ghoul applied Sorahn's teachings and attempted to apply the strange concepts of Ranoan martial arts to his own combat skills.

He was having some success. A lot of it was philosophical in nature, much like the training of the Monks of Ai'bron. There was a physical characteristic as well as a spiritual and philosophical one. Lorenor looked down at the two guards and made sure they were knocked out. Waiting for Sorahn would be the next part of the play.

Sorahn
01-05-08, 01:48 AM
Sorahn quickly descended the spiral stone staircases leading down from the towers into the castle. He stopped to get his bearings, and attempted to navigate hallways in the general direction of the room with the balcony on which the new king stood. Luckily, he also had a mental link to a dragon. He somehow always knew Nyris’s exact location; a fact which he used to his advantage in determining where he was in the castle.

He moved with haste; jogging through the corridors and rooms. A few guards noticed his odd appearance and approached him, drawing their weapons. Without looking twice, Sorahn flicked his wrist, emitting a shockwave which knocked the guards off their feet. Loud clanking noises echoed in the stone hallways as their armored backs hit the floor and Sorahn continued on without a second thought. The blow couldn’t have done much actual damage, but was perfect to incapacitate the guards just long enough for him to disappear down another hallway. He wasn’t interested in more senseless bloodshed.

Finally after wandering endless torch-lit stone corridors for ages, he ran across Lorenor, who appeared to be waiting on him. It was apparent judging from the tapestries and ornate carvings that the king’s throne room laid on the other side of the large double doors. The guards once posted here lay unconscious near Lorenor. He looked to the ghoul, his now trusted companion. “Perhaps it is time we had a little discussion with the new king of Salvar.”

With that he turned and threw open the double doors, revealing an opulent throne room. Lit with sconces and decorated with tapestries, the room reminded him of the first time he met the emperor of Ranoa, bound and kneeling on a marble floor. Luckily, this room was not constructed entirely of marble, as the emperor’s was. Instead it was built of more practical stone, and Sorahn used this fact to distance himself from the memory of the emperor; a memory which was extremely unpleasant.

The new king re-entered the room from his post on the balcony, wearing a satisfied grin. He stopped quickly upon seeing the white, furry, tattooed beast standing in his throne room. He was not afraid, but caught off-guard. The furry creature’s presence was unexpected. But the grin returned to his face quickly. He saw no threat, especially considering he now had the royal guard on his side. He would simply see what the creature wanted and deal with him appropriately.

Suddenly he stopped again. “Wait… I know you.” He said, with a curious tone. “You are Sorahn, are you not? The leader of the Gol’Bron in Corone?” Sorahn simply nodded in response. “I knew it. Yes, it was you then. You were the one flying atop that great black dragon moments ago, wreaking havoc upon the loyalists.”

Sorahn made no response. He remained standing still with his tail swaying idly behind him. But the king continued on. “Your efforts ought to be commended! You fought against those loyal to that bastard Iorlan. We are on the same side.”

Again Sorahn said nothing. Giving up on him, the king turned to his companion. The grin began to fade from his face as he looked upon Lorenor. “Wait… I know you as well…”

Mutant_Lorenor
01-05-08, 01:26 PM
Upon seeing that bastard ghoul from the Cathedral one more time, Lemmerz' expression became extremely sour. "I don't have time for this! This is the third time you and I have met and each time you've attempted to take my life. I know who it is that you work for. You can cease your useless attempts at taking my life. I've already allied myself with the Cathedral!"

Lorenor spat on the ground. His mission was different this time as he looked upon his arch enemy. An enemy that has not ascended to the throne of Salvar, a very rich and powerful position indeed. Lorenor knew that Lemmerz would have all of the power he could ever dream of in Salvar, and more. Visibly clenching his fists, the ghoul was showing a great amount of self restraint to prevent himself from killing the man right where he stood. This was the third time that Lorenor had come across the mark. Lorenor closed his eyes for a moment and recalled the original contract when he was sent to Camp Milax.

St. Denebriel's Cathedral ordered Lorenor to break up the Camp, kill the leaders of Milax-if possible-and most importantly, free the refugees. Back then, that was the priority. Lemmerz Xer'Xan became a target of the Church.

The ghoul had multiple opportunities to kill Lemmerz, but somehow, the clever individual kept on slipping past the ghoul's grip. It seemed that the more Lorenor tried to tighten his grip on his life, the more situations seemed to slip through his fingers. With his fists and jaws clenched, Lorenor remembered the secret orders obtained from the Cathedral. He looked at Lemmerz for a long moment and the two shared a stare down. "You're right about one thing Lemmerz. We are not enemies. We share a common threat, a common goal which is the prosperity of Salvar. As you know, I am also a member of the Gol'Bron."

Lorenor turned towards Sorahn, unsure if he was overstepping his boundaries as a member of the Gol'Bron. A member of the Red Hand. He was treading on waters that were unfamiliar to him, the waters of leadership. Looking at his leader for a long moment, the ghoul drew a sense of familiar comfort from his companion. Turning his gaze back to Lemmerz, Lorenor decided it was time to put his money where his mouth was.

"We propose an allegiance. The Cathedral is willing to look past your prior history and work towards allying itself with you since you now have the crown." Lorenor was bluffing, but he hoped his face didn't show it. He knew that the Cathedral would want a King in place that increased the Cathedral's power. Lorenor pulled out the specific documents that would've been for a new King once Iorlan fell. He tossed the folders to the feet of Lemmerz. "That is the church's proposal. And on another hand, we, the Red Hand, wish to form an allegiance with you. We are after our own fiefdom and significant influence in Salvar." Lorenor cut right to the chase.

Lemmerz started to laugh once he picked up the folder and looked through the documentation. They were demands placed upon the crown and terms of surrender to the church. Lemmerz scowled, but saw the reasoning behind an allegiance with someone who commanded a black dragon. Lemmerz Xer'Xan was no fool. He knew that he could deal with the Church later. Right now, the problem was Lorenor and the Red Hand. Lemmerz turned towards Sorahn and then to the ghoul. He knew they were serious. He eyed the mysterious creature that followed Lorenor always. A strange monster indeed.

"You drive a hard bargain, ghoul. I am going to demand one thing from the both of you. If I agree to these terms and conditions, I want protection from the Cathedral with the Red Hand. Can you guarantee me that?"

Such a decision was not Lorenor's to make. He turned towards Sorahn. They had come this far to resolve the Civil War in Salvar. There was no turning back now. "What do you think my Master?" Lorenor asked of Lord Sorahn...the ball was in his corner now.

Sorahn
01-06-08, 12:39 AM
It would appear they have a history… a bad one.

Sorahn stood silently, his tail still swaying patiently. He paid close attention to the exchange that followed. Lorenor offered the new king an alliance with the Cathedral; a power which Sorahn had no idea the ghoul held. But when he produced official documents of the church, he began to wonder just how much it was he didn’t know about his companion.

However, very quickly the conversation shifted to a very different alliance. Sorahn’s eyes narrowed slightly when he heard the words “Red Hand” and “allegiance”. That is a bit too far, Lorenor… He thought, but let the scene play out. It was just as well that the ghoul was learning to assert himself. Sorahn simply needed to remind him later of what was alright to do without his permission, and what was not.

He did think it a bit foolish to reveal their goals so soon. Just as with the other leaders of Salvar, Sorahn did not hold his man in high regard. But he simply waited and watched the king’s response carefully. He must have been impressed by what he had seen. He swayed rather quickly. But the demands…

Sorahn had to think hard about his response. An alliance with the king of Salvar would definitely be beneficial to the clan. However, he did not trust this man. Not yet, anyway. Plus he did not like the idea of being a personal bodyguard against the church. The Red Hand could never and would not be bought and manipulated so easily.

All he needed to do was simply say “No” and they could leave. Business would return to normal for both him and the king, neither the worse. But an alliance could benefit them both. The clan would gain influence and land in another country, as well as plenty of trade opportunities under the protection of the king. The king would gain the piece of mind of a clan fighting on his side, as well as the promise of a boost to his new economy. However Sorahn and the clan needed no such bargain, as they were getting along quite well on their own.

“Let me be perfectly honest.” Sorahn said finally. “I don’t trust you. I don’t know you and you don’t know me. An alliance without trust is hardly an alliance at all; each one constantly wary of betrayal. I need to know that when my clan and its interests need official protection that you will come to our aid. Likewise you need to know that when the church is after your head, that my clan will defend you. If there is no trust then neither will benefit.”

Sorahn paused for a moment. “However… I am not one to judge a man before knowing his true character.” He looked at Lorenor, grinning slightly, then turned back to the king. “So I will accept your terms. You will provide us with a fiefdom, protection, and influence in Salvar, and in return we will defend you in battle.”
Smiling, Sorahn offered his hand to the new king, to shake on the deal. Lemmerz took it and with a handshake, they began a new era in Salvar and the Gol’Bron. Sorahn pulled his hand in bringing Lemmerz close and spoke softly too him. “I am a trusting man, Lemmerz Xer’Xan, but I also hold a grudge. Know that if my trust is betrayed, I will not rest until you are dead.”

“Likewise.” The new king responded, simply. With another quick shake their hands parted, and a small smile crossed Sorahn’s face.

“Well, now that we have an understanding, I must take my leave. Lorenor will take care of the business of the fiefdom and see to the arrangements. We will need a port in our fiefdom, on the shore nearest Corone, as well as plenty of forestland. Lorenor will give you the details.”

“Until we meet again.” Sorahn said as politely as a warrior could manage. Then he turned to Lorenor. “I will see you again soon, my friend. Until then, I trust you will take this responsibility with the clan’s best interests in mind. Take care.” And with that he turned and left.

He navigated the stone hallways quickly, eager to return home to his clan and see his beloved mate again. Nyris, are you ready for our long journey?

As ready as I will be.

Good. We’re leaving immediately. I want to get home as soon as we can. We both deserve a little rest after this, I think.

Sorahn finally reached the top of the stairs and emerged from the tower to see his dragon waiting right were he left him. Do you intend to move here, to serve your new king? The dragon spoke to him mentally as he prepared to climb into the saddle.

He stopped for a moment, staring off over the vast Salvarian landscape. No… We will set up operations here and send whatever men are willing to go to start up trades here in Salvar. I will do my best to honor this alliance, but he is not my king. My home is in Corone, where it always has been. I will not forsake Mount Drakenthrone.

Satisfied with his master’s wishes, the dragon bent slightly as Sorahn pulled himself into the saddle, and with a powerful beat of his wings, they took to the sky. Finally, they were heading back to where they belonged.

As they flew out over the ocean, the wind whipping at Sorahn’s hair, he couldn’t help but think back on the words of his god, Ronah. ”The fate of much will depend on the actions of the coming days.” He smiled slightly.

-----------
Spoils:
Lordship in Salvar and fiefdom belonging to the Gol'Bron
Two mirrors that allow instantaneous visual communication between them, to allow the new fiefdom to communicate with the old town.

Mutant_Lorenor
01-07-08, 12:05 PM
November 18th CP 1805
3:00P.M.

With Sorahn gone, Lorenor was free to take care of the minute details of the business transaction. Contracts needed signing and official passage of the Red Hand's new fiefdom needed to go off without a hitch. With the fighting mostly settled on the streets of Salvar, thanks to the leniency of the new King, history will record that the Cathedral was successful in its coup attempt. All though there were many casualties involved, Sorahn, Lorenor, and the rest of the Red Hand benefited greatly from the events of the day. If anybody came out the winners of Corone's Civil War, it was the Red Hand.

Lorenor stayed on as an official guest of the King for a moment recognized as one of the Cathedrals' best Agents. It was a title well earned by now. In the weeks that followed, Lorenor assisted the new King of Salvar with various errands on behalf of the Church often checking in with the remaining Arbiters of the Cathedral. A rumor spread that during the fighting Justice Lev Testhan was killed during the intense period of the fighting. Rumors stated that the House of Sora was involved in some way with the unfolding events within Salvar.

The events of the day would have long lasting repercussions. With a secured allegiance between the crown and the cathedral, Salvar would hopefully return to an age of peace and prosperity...but things seemed uncertain at the very least. Lorenor road the wave of events in a state of half trance. He signed documents that needed to be signed with his official seal. As a member of the Cathedral, he'd obtained a seal as part of his promotion to a fully fledged Assassin.

One day, weeks after the events of the coup attempt, Lorenor found himself in the personal headquarters of the Red Hand's new base overlooking their fiefdom. Men worked busily in the port town below. The ghoul observed the town from a single window in his bedroom. Red Hand agents slowly arrived into the town and infiltrated the community without causing much problems, becoming as ghosts in a grave. The influx of new workers into Salvar's community slowly helped stabilize the weakened economy. Lots of gold was pumped into the war and the coup attempt draining heavily on the economy of Salvar, and ultimately, having paying its toll on the global economy. The ghoul stood on his bed, having kept the reinforced window closed to ward off the cold.

Warm, the room was well furnished. It was part of Lorenor's apartment in the housing complex. He stood at the top most section of the building, in a penthouse suite. Picking the finest furnishings for himself, the ghoul wanted to make sure that he had a place where he could think, plan, and strategize upcoming schemes of the Red Hand. Slowly but surely, the Red Hand was gaining power with the rest of its surrounding world. It was becoming a force of nature. Sitting on his single, large bed, the ghoul looked up and noticed the canopy of the bed. There was a curtain of thick furs surrounding the bed leaving plenty of room to walk about. The bed took up much of the space in the room. The floor was tiled a dull gray color with matching walls and ceiling. A lone chandelier was lit in the room with simple glow orbs adding a harmless artificial light to room below it. The ghoul had requested such lighting throughout the entire apartment because harsh lights hurt his eyes. A rug made of thick Salvarn hides also lurked upon the floor, adding its own natural decor to the room.

Patterns of this tribe and that tribe were woven into the thick hides making it look rather fancy indeed. A single liviol desk with materials imported from Salvar's many forest regions sat awaiting Lorenor's presence. A lamp made of the same glowing orb material sat upon the table along with several books and records. The most recent records were the transaction of the fiefdom into the grip of the Red Hand. Coming out public with the transaction in a Town Hall meeting, the new Lord of Y'hanz Zaar made the dealings official to some reception of support. Their last leader had apparently been a total buffoon and was slain during the uprising in Salvar. Y'hanz Zaar was without adequate leadership for many weeks.

A knock on the door. Lorenor turned his attention towards the main room of the apartment and walked over to it, taking his time. He walked past several well furnished rooms and finally entered the living room area. His hand went to the handle of his damascus sword. He pulled on it slightly to prepare for battle if such an event happened. "Who is it? State your business."

The ghoul demanded. A pause. Lorenor drew his sword feeling extremely uncomfortable at the silence that took place. He could hear several individuals breathing out in the hallway. "I won't open this door until you state your business."

"Sir Lorenor. We're with the Cathedral. There is official business that you need to look at."

"The Cathedral huh? All right."

Relaxing his stance, the ghoul sheathed his weapon and opened the door. He looked upon the men in the hallway. There were approximately ten heads all together. They were dressed in official garments of the Cathedral. The ghoul nodded towards them and stepped into the room letting the men inside his apartment. A few of them looked around, and one of them whistled. The penthouse was well furnished and could prove to be a perfect staging front for Cathedral operations as well. The leader of the outfit placed his hand upon his traveling packs and removed a document with a church seal on it, he handed this over to Lorenor. The ghoul, in turn, took the document in his hand and broke the seal. He quickly glanced over the document and read it until he understood the coding within the letter. He looked up at the Church Agent.

"So the creature was a Spider Magi."

"N'Jal was officially involved in the assassination attempts of the Arbiters."

"I thought that the Cathedral didn't give sanctuary to the Thaynehood."

Lorenor frowned, he couldn't believe what he was hearing. A Cathedral Agent acknowledging existence of the Thaynes. St. Denebriel considered the Thaynehood to be a blasphemy of the Church as an official statement of the Justice of the Cathedral himself. The Endless were considered a blasphemy of the Church as well despite the fact that Lorenor was in command of two of them. Figment constantly followed him around but chose to remain in the room, in a state of sleep.

"Officially, the Church doesn't. But now that we have official proof that the Thaynes exist we can no longer ignore their involvement in global affairs. It was long rumored that the Thaynes act in secret. But the discovery of N'Jal involved directly in Salvar's affairs despite there being a Greater Thayne that governs Salvars proves to be a dangerous revelation. Only few need to know about this information, but you're one of them due to your past involvement with the Thaynes."

"You mean my past rape at their hands." Lorenor clarified.

"That's classified information even coming from you. The Cathedral carefully analyzed your past history before allowing you to join in its affairs. You represent a new breed of Agents of Lorenor. And this is where our proposal comes in."

"You want me to become the best sort of Assassin I can be? Is that it?"

"It's complicated Lorenor. Your direct involvement with the Thaynes makes you a prime candidate for Cathedral experimentation. We need you to volunteer for a project that is creating Super Agents of the Cathedral."

"But I have to volunteer."

"Correct. You deny knowledge of the experiments should you agree to do this."

"Of course. Fine. I need the training and the extra power anyway. When do we begin?"

"It has already begun."

The End.

**************Spoils Section*************************

001--Fiefdom. A port city called Y'hanz Zaar now is the official headquarters and property of the Red Hand. AKA the Gol'Bron. They have full power and authority within the fiefdom as lords of the city. With the fiefdom comes the full workforce and access to any lurking industry within it. Also, they have full access to trade open and black market industries. The fiefdom is a handsome prize that the Red Hand earned during its involvement in the events of the day.

002--Lordship in Salvar. Lorenor has now obtained the title of a Lord in Salvar and has considerable influence therein on his own as well as a member of the Gol'Bron. With the title, Lorenor has earned a size able estate to his name for his involvement with the Cathedral's coup attempt.

003--Damascus Masterwork Longsword. A well forged weapon by the Agents of the Cathedral. Lorenor obtained this weapon during the confrontation with the deadly Spider Ninja. Which turned out to be an Agent of N'Jal. The weapon is a fancy longsword and comes equipped with a Masterwork scabbard. Lorenor wears this weapon on his hip.

004--John Mattis' longsword destroyed. A burst of acid webbing destroyed Lorenor's long favored weapon. Obtained during a battle with Joshua Cronen (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=6665).

005--Masterwork Crossbow. Obtained during the fighting against the Spider Ninja, Lorenor quickly learned how to use this weapon with some degree of effectiveness. The metal parts are made out of Plynt and the wooden parts are made out of Liviol. It is an intricate weapon with an auto-loading feature equipped on the weapon. It has a distance of several yards. Accuracy lessens after that. ((Subject to a moderator final approval)) The crossbow comes equipped with a container of several bolts, fifty in all. The bolts are made of plynt and each of common quality. The quiver is also made of common quality.

Ataraxis
01-18-08, 06:35 PM
Quest Judging
Shadows of the Cathedral

Hey, hey, hey, here come old flattop! I will be your judge this evening. Don’t buckle up and keep all matters of limbs outside of the wagon; those are the only early warnings you’ll need for this roller-coaster ride. Congratulations on completing this pretty big FQ quest! I’ll let the rubric say the rest.

STORY

Continuity ~ 5/10. To start, I just want to quickly remind you both that the reader can’t be expected to know how other PCs such as Devon and Ithermoss play in your storyline just by their names. I also didn’t see any enlightening descriptions on what exactly is an Endless, or Atma. I know the definitions, but again, I don’t represent all of your readers, guys! Also, Lor, don’t link to other quests in the narrative, because if you’re not going to write it out in the quest, I’ll have to make a point of not reading it out of the quest.

Lor, you did say where your character was prior to this quest and what he was doing then, though the explanation was a bit expeditious. Sor, I couldn’t get a feel of where he’s coming from or why he was doing this for reasons other than his “My god said so, who am I to question him” reasoning: it’s too convenient a plot device. I’ve no idea how Ronah even profits from this. I did get a broader sense of background from Sorahn though, due to very striking references to the Ranoan society, its history and culture.

Setting ~ 6/10. There are a lot of instances where the setting was described vividly, as in Sorahn’s posts and some of Lor’s, but those set aside, you guys take athe way of a very typical descriptions. When you describe the streets, the arbiter’s room or Castle Rathaxea, it’s done in a very technical manner that didn’t strike me as particularly evocative. However, Lor did mention scuffles breaking and the fires of war. Though the frequency of those were a bit exaggerated, they did make fitting additions to the ambiance. I just wish there had been more in descriptions and interactions (like when the black dragon landed on a tower).

Pacing ~ 3/10. This is, with action, one of the weakest points of this quest, but it’s due to the length of the quest more than your individual styles. Had this been done in maybe twenty-five posts of somewhat shorter length, you’d have gotten more than double the score. You both backtracked quite a bit, and though sometimes it’s a necessary evil, it’s only sometimes. For example, when Lorenor ends his posts with the ‘suspension mark cliff-hangers’, which isn’t exactly the best method of adding suspense, Sorahn rewound to older events instead of picking up there, and sometimes we don’t even learn what it is that Lor was hinting at with his ‘…’.

What also hurt your score were one paragraph passages of events you seemed to glue into the thread as an afterthought, like Rinklaud and N’jal’s parts. There have also been so many characters that appeared and then fell into oblivion that it was hard to remember who was who. Also, just a note, adding OOC notes is okay, but don’t do it smack-dab in the middle of the narrative, like with those ’minor bunnies bro’, okay?

CHARACTER

Dialogue ~ 6.5/10. Let’s start with the NPCs. The arbiter was decent. Lemmers contradicted himself when he called the woman he slept with a whore, but then reprimanded her for considering herself a commoner, even reminding her that she was sister to a duke. The King, I’m sorry to say, might as well have just yelled ‘I am an obvious plot device! I am a tool!’ because I could really not get into his dialogue and think of him as a character.

For you guys, now. I remember from other quests that Lor was capable of particularly gripping dialogue, but I think you’ve dismissed its importance in this one in favour of furthering along the plot, but it was an unnecessary sacrifice! He was definitely more than an emotionless robot, but he could’ve also come across as more than a sometimes-bland speaker. His greed did shine through most of his dialogues, however, and that’s a pretty good thing. Sorahn I thought to be a bit flat at first, but you gave him more and more depth as the thread went on, and I liked how he was still struggling with his position of power as a teacher and as the leader of Gol’Bron.

Action ~ 4/10. A lot of things did not make as much sense to me as they did to your characters. First off, being hired by the arbiter as bodyguards, then asking for living quarters? Separate living quarters, might I add? As bodyguards, they constantly need to be on their toes, and at least sitting at the door to his room would’ve been halfway professional. I’m surprised the Spider ‘Ninja’ hadn’t already killed him off before they got inside. It’s not like it sent a note saying ‘I’m coming a round to kill the Arbiter at ten, so lay back and watch some Baywatch in the meantime, mkay?’

Moreover, shooting at the creature while Sorahn fought it at close range with crossbow bolts and arrows? That’s a very bad tactical decision, and it could’ve cost Sorahn his life, but he acted as if it was the best thing since anchovies on pizza! Also, why did the King go one on one with Lemmers? The smart thing to do would’ve been to use the, like, 50 guards he pays to protect him to, well, actually protect him. And why did the kind relinquish his crown so easily? Salvar needs a warrior king? This is not Sparta. This. Is. SALVAR!

Lor, I checked your profile and you do not have any skills in marksmanship, yet he manages to take down a troop of ‘snipers’ without getting hurt, from a low tree, with a crossbow he just got? Be wary of power gaming, my man! Still, I think there’s been enough good action near the end to offset what would’ve been a two.

Persona ~ 6.5/10. From what I’ve read, this is what I’ve learned. Lor is a greedy bastard who acts on his own a lot when he feels he can get a sweet deal out of a situation, even though he’s painfully aware that he might be overstepping his rank as agent of the Cathedral or member of the Red Hand. Sorahn is a warrior devoted to his god, has a good spirit of patriotism and though he everything Salvaran with a bad eye at first, eh comes to realize that the people of this country resemble his own kinsmen, that some are worth saving. The conflicted emotions when someone jumped in and died for Sorahn was particularly good for this category. Still, though I did learn all of this without refreshing my memory with your profiles, I think the delivery was sometimes very testy and difficult to read.

WRITING STYLE

Technique ~ 4.5/10. You guys are skilled writers, but in this quest you both had your share of small, rookie mistakes. It’s okay, everyone does at least one or two in each quest. In this case, it was a typical case of telling instead of showing. This stripped the dynamism from the story, making some passages a bit dull and tedious to read due to either a play-by-play description of the events or the curt ‘in a nutshell, that’s what happened’. You both favour a poetic style, perhaps watered down because you remembered being told that it could get stuffy. Good, but there was still room to expand on your styles before getting to that point. Your similes and comparisons tend to be rather vague, Sorahn especially, in a … circular way. You didn’t write this, but it’s a comparison: ‘He smiled with the face of a man who did not frown’. See where I’m going? You don’t do it very often, but it sticks to my head when I read those excerpts. Try to think outside the box, or use a known expression or idiom, and you’ll easily add more flavour to these!
Mechanics ~ 5/10. There were quite a few, and it’s Denebriel, not Denebrial. You switch between Lemmers and Lemmerz a lot, wrote sometimes awkward sentence fragments, etc. Here are some of those I’ve jotted down (odd numbers are Lor, even are Sor):

He was after all and Immortal, and a Demi-God at that. (1) an
were in charged.(1) charge
out great land. (1) our
foreign stature to Salvar. (1) status, ww
conflict everywhere as the sounds of dying men touched his sensory array (3) needlessly complicated fluff, use ears
Aide (3) aid
He glanced to the ghoul next to him. They had already done several things together, and Sorahn was genuinely impressed with the boy’s skills and loyalty. When he first met the boy, he wasn’t sure about him. The boy was a self-proclaimed follower of N’Jal; utmost heresy in the eyes of the Gol’Bron, but against his better judgment he decided to let the ghoul remain a member of the group. Thankfully, he had not regretted this decision. The boy served as a member of the clan with an honor that Sorahn thought impossible from a follower of N’Jal. Within a few months the boy had gone from being the most suspicious person in the clan, in Sorahn’s eye, to the most valued. (4) boy, repeated word
(There was one universal truth, warfare cost each side considerable sums of money.

After all, one had to pay the soldiers that worked for you. Playing the part he was destined to play, Lorenor looked back at Lord Sorahn and nodded to him casually.) (5) separated an idea in between paragraphs, then continued the second with an unrelated sentence. Kinda seems like useless fluff
"Who is the main Arbiter in charged there?"(3) charge
(7) Why would bookshelves be made of Liviol, a magical wood? That seems like kind of a waste of a very, very rare material
Salvarns (9) Salvarans by the way
take station by my personal quarters to ensure my personal safety (13) repeated word, I think it’s really a given in either case.
A lone individual came walked across (15) one verb wasn’t erased
Plynt longswird (15) misspelled
Looking upon the three Mammalians, (17) I’m glad you’re trying to find more words to describe people, but seriously, don,t get technical. Let’s not repeat Joey’s “humid, pre-possessing homosapiens with full-sized aortic pumps”
the beast conjured a powerful air of darkness that tainted the air with its archaic forces.(21) air, repeated word
Castle Rahaxea(27) Rathaxea
Throane(27)throne
There doesn’t need to be a waste of lives needlessly(27) take out the needless needlessly
Lemmers wore a grin on his face(29)It was okay to start with, but you use it a lot. Why not just use ‘grinned’ then? It flows better
Dragon into the heard of the battles(31) heart
Low overhanging trees and decided that he was going to take advantage of the trees(31) repeated word

Clarity ~ 5.5/10. Writing-wise and plot-wise, this left a lot to be desired. I wasn’t sure what was happening a lot of the time, due to conflicting narratives when one said something and the other said something else, which made me reread old posts a lot. Certain scenes were written rather sketchily, and I had a hard time keeping track of who was on whose side or who was who to start with. When Lorenor made deals with the Arbiter, then the new king, it wasn’t exactly the most conspicuous way of dangling a carrot before someone’s eyes. This includes some of the problems created by the action as well.

MISCELLANEOUS

Wild Card ~ 6/10. I didn’t go wild over this, but I honestly think there was a very good amount of effort put into this quest, and I thought it was an adequately performed act of the FQ’s first chapter.

TOTAL ~ 52/100. <commentary here>

EXP Rewards

Lorenor V'halkulus gains: 1550 x 2 for completing an FQ quest in time = 3100 XP!
Sorahn un' Rohnahmeh gains: 2050 x 2 for completing an FQ quest in time = 4100 XP!

GP Rewards

Lorenor V'halkulus gains: 100 x 2 for completing an FQ quest in time = 200 GP
Sorahn un' Rohnahmeh gains: 100 x 2 for completing and FQ quest in time = 200 GP

Other Rewards

The Gol’Bron gains: Lordship and the Y'hanz Zaa fiefdom! These spoils are granted, but you’ll have to deal with those in charge of Pgs for the final say. I have also deducted from your gold earnings to grant you this.

Lorenor V'halkulus gains: the Damascus Masterwork Longsword. It is, however, heavily damaged from years of unimaginably-abusive use by its previous wielder, which explains his eagerness in giving it to the ghoul, favoring his newer, shinier weapon. It will need to be repaired soon, lest it shatter and be forever lost!
Lorenor V'halkulus does not gain: the Masterwork Crossbow. The weapon was reclaimed by its original owner, but he instead gave Lorenor an older, less efficient one. It is made of yew and plynt. It also comes quit a ten-bolt quiver, each bolt made of cyper and plynt. Lorenor’s John Mattis' longsword destroyed.

FINAL NOTES

Congratulations on completing another FQ quest, Lor, and your first, Sor! I’m also pretty sure you both level, so congratulations on that too! Apparently though, the king wasn’t supposed to lose his kingship, so that part won’t go into the canon; neither will anything else that was directly affected by it, or a direct corollary to it.

Karuka
01-18-08, 07:37 PM
EXP/GP added! Congratulations, you both level up!