PDA

View Full Version : Private Tournament

The Architect
11-28-07, 06:02 PM
I'm sure someone in the past has had this idea or even implemented it, but I was thinking about organizing a private tournament with my power group. This is something I haven't even talked to them about yet. The majority of our ideas are discussed behind closed doors, but I think this would be a wonderful one to discuss out in the open. The idea came to me earlier today, and I think I divised a way to stage a private tournament in which the moderators would simply do their standard scoring as if they were regular battles. The plan would go roughly as follows:

Step 1
First of all we'd need money or something in the way of a prize, and a setting. The setting would be no problem because... well... shit, my character's an architect and the power group is basically a giant contractor with a heart(j/k). We could have an arena built within a quest or two. Let's say the prize is something simple, like money. Or one of the Althanas legends could donate one of their legendary items? (not likely) Let's just go with the money. Say we offer a cash prize of 2000gp. I know some of you big whigs consider that chump change but I'm sure some of us could use that. We'd accumulate that money with an admission's fee of 100gp for thirty slots. They all fill up and we have our prize money and a little on the side for operational expenses.

Step 2
Special stipulations of the tournament. Of course no House of Sora member would be allowed to participate. OOCly it would be unfair, and ICly they'd be busy hosting the damn thing. Either way, what stipulations would you guys like to see in a tournament? I was thinking we could bring back the Theatre of War style where the IC winner is the OOC winner as well (correct me if I'm thinking of something else). We could do a stripped down Gisela style without the locations and stuff we saw in the most recent incarnation. We could throw down something completely out of this world, or just compete the plain ol' fashion way: best writer wins.

Step 3
The actual tournament takes place. We wouldn't need a special subforum like the rest of the tournaments. The tournament manager, whether it be me or some other House member would post match threads with a special title in the appropriate IC forum. Contestants would come and compete, like the other tournaments we'd impose time limits, and when the round is over the moderators would judge them like regular old battle threads. They really wouldn't have to do anything besides the normal work. Or the House of Sora members could judge the threads themselves and issue out scores (I always thought Ataraxis would be a good judge :) ). Winners would go on to the next round and the process would be repeated until we have one mand standing. We give him the 2000gp and that would be the end of it.

So what do you guys think? I know this whole thing has a hole in it somewhere, especially since it's so vague and the tournament has no details. Of course I would wait until the FQ is done to do something like this as well. Plus I wouldn't be comfortable doing it without the support of the House of Sora. What I really need to know is do you guys think it's possible, and what ideas would you have to add to this?

Mathias
11-28-07, 06:05 PM
That actually sounds like an amazing idea. It's a bit audacious to suggest players doing the judging (although, I highly doubt any rewards could be issued by them. Which is logical of course.) But hey! Ain't nothing in the rules about it.

Hmh. This is a really good idea.

Call me J
11-28-07, 06:09 PM
First of all we'd need money or something in the way of a prize, and a setting. The setting would be no problem because... well... shit, my character's an architect and the power group is basically a giant contractor with a heart(j/k). We could have an arena built within a quest or two. Let's say the prize is something simple, like money. Or one of the Althanas legends could donate one of their legendary items? (not likely) Let's just go with the money. Say we offer a cash prize of 2000gp. I know some of you big whigs consider that chump change but I'm sure some of us could use that. We'd accumulate that money with an admission's fee of 100gp for thirty slots. They all fill up and we have our prize money and a little on the side for operational expenses.

I may be willing to donate a legendary item. Lets talk about this sometime. I'd want a few assurances that the tournament is going to happen and that we could come up with a good IC rationale for it to happen.

Also, if you're going to have an entry fee, I would reccomend having a smaller overall purse, but award something for every victory. For instance, quarterfinalists get 150 GP, semis 200, runner up 400, winner 500 or something like that.

Players could do the judging to decide who advances. Of course, the only way to get EXP and GP is to have a moderator judge it, unless you work something out.

The Architect
11-28-07, 06:15 PM
Also, if you're going to have an entry fee, I would reccomend having a smaller overall purse, but award something for every victory. For instance, quarterfinalists get 150 GP, semis 200, runner up 400, winner 500 or something like that.
If we had a legendary item to supplement the winnings I'd definitely be down for that. It would be great if you're willing to donate one. You could simply directly give the item to the winner yourself. We wouldn't even have to hold it.

Seth_Rahl
11-28-07, 06:15 PM
Ataraxis should defenitely judge.

Call me J
11-28-07, 06:20 PM
If we had a legendary item to supplement the winnings I'd definitely be down for that. It would be great if you're willing to donate one. You could simply directly give the item to the winner yourself. We wouldn't even have to hold it.

That sounds good. Basically, I would want the item to revert to Damon if the tournament crapped out at some point. I'll send you some PMs later with an IC rationale.

Also, the item in question would be the Slayer Songbook, in case you were going to ask.

Breaker
11-28-07, 06:39 PM
I would participate in this because I like battling, and it's a good overall idea. I do in fact have a suggestion that would make this very interesting.

Impose a word count per post limit. This will force writers to get creative in new ways and keep things exciting and original. Also, this way mods can judge the battles quickly so we still get EXP and all that great stuff.

Slayer of the Rot
11-28-07, 06:40 PM
If Shyam is donating a Legendary Iitem to this I am definitely going to participate.

EDIT: Also I like killing things.

Call me J
11-28-07, 06:41 PM
Impose a word count per post limit. This will force writers to get creative in new ways and keep things exciting and original. Also, this way mods can judge the battles quickly so we still get EXP and all that great stuff.

That is a really neat stip. Put it at something like 200 words.

Breaker
11-28-07, 06:44 PM
That is a really neat stip. Put it at something like 200 words.

You read my mind psychic man.

Artifex Felicis
11-28-07, 08:14 PM
Step 1
We'd accumulate that money with an admission's fee of 100gp for thirty slots. They all fill up and we have our prize money and a little on the side for operational expenses.

Just a little opinion to keep it to 32 people. Make it even so that way there are no byes or anything. That or something like that. Can be circumvented by my suggestion below.

Step 2
Special stipulations of the tournament.

I really like the word count idea, as that should force the people to post a lot faster. And the battles could actually take only a week too. Provided judges knew ahead of time, or it gets works out, you could have 2-3 members "Guest Judge" in order to make the threads go more quickly.

Also, another way to get around even the judging thing, is to just have 3-5 rounds of matches, with all different types of arenas, all with a 200 word limit per post. The total score would be tallied and the highest would be winner. So someone who lost every match, but scores 70s the whole time might still win, and there is no true elimination. So it's not so much who cowboys up for the right matches but who is consistently the best writer.

Also, in order to keep it more interesting, we could always have a side betting pool. Entrants can put their weapons up to the game of specific matches against their opponent. So Slayer could bet his buster sword against Max Dirk's gun. Not an official thing, but as an optional side thing to help make matches better.

Breaker
11-28-07, 08:58 PM
I think the standard Serenti-style tournament layout would work fine for matchups. The word limit would add plenty of original zest to this tourny.

Since the contractors are the ones running this, maybe they could decide what the arenas look like, rather than leaving it up to the first person who posts.

To steal an idea from Dark Magus' tournament, there could even be an element of Sora members manipulating the setting to throw curveballs at the combattants.

The Architect
11-28-07, 09:38 PM
The Architect likes! The Architect likes very much! That two hundred word limit would prove a mighty big challenge to writer's like myself. Well it's a good thing I'd only be hosting the tournament.

I'll edit to more properly respond to everyone's post...

rovided judges knew ahead of time, or it gets works out, you could have 2-3 members "Guest Judge" in order to make the threads go more quickly.

It would be really awesom if some of the members of the House of Sora guest judged in addition to the moderators. That way they wouldn't have to do so much. I believe a while back we talked about staff appreciation in this very forum. It might have even been me who brought up the idea of doing something to lighten their load. This may be it. We also have alot of intelligent players in our power group who may make good judges.
Also, another way to get around even the judging thing, is to just have 3-5 rounds of matches, with all different types of arenas, all with a 200 word limit per post. The total score would be tallied and the highest would be winner. So someone who lost every match, but scores 70s the whole time might still win, and there is no true elimination. So it's not so much who cowboys up for the right matches but who is consistently the best writer.I do like that idea indeed, but that brings up something that's always bothered me. When someone wins a round OOCly but their character is beaten within an inch of their life and there's no IC way he's going to the next round, what the hell do you guys do?
So Slayer could bet his buster sword against Max Dirk's gun. Not an official thing, but as an optional side thing to help make matches better.
That's a great idea, but what if we were to make it official and take a cut? We could use the earnings from the gambling to add to the prize money!
I think the standard Serenti-style tournament layout would work fine for matchups. I was thinking Serenti's one on one matchups would be the best way to go in combonation with Artifex's multiple non elimination rounds. To add anything more would cause to much confusion.
Since the contractors are the ones running this, maybe they could decide what the arenas look like, rather than leaving it up to the first person who posts.
I was thinking that from the begining. So many of us have many places we could visit. We have an estate in the Raiaera countryside, the Triple Marble Minaret my character was completing, Rajani's Peregrine. Perhaps that will be the main role the House members could play in all this.

Breaker
11-28-07, 10:08 PM
It would be really awesom if some of the members of the House of Sora guest judged in addition to the moderators. That way they wouldn't have to do so much. I believe a while back we talked about staff appreciation in this very forum. It might have even been me who brought up the idea of doing something to lighten their load. This may be it. We also have alot of intelligent players in our power group who may make good judges.
Despite that, the Althanas moderators go through alot of training to become official judges. IMHO, it wouldn't be fair to have untrained members judging other members. With the word limit in place, if the judges just put up scores and very little comments, they could bang out judgements fairly quick.

When someone wins a round OOCly but their character is beaten within an inch of their life and there's no IC way he's going to the next round, what the hell do you guys do?.
The monks heal everyone between rounds, like in Citadel battles.

I do have another idea for making things easier on the mods/making this tourny different. If you're interested just let me know (it's kinda complex and I need to write an essay right now).

The Architect
11-28-07, 10:28 PM
Heh... interested.

By the way. If anyone feels like doing this on their own, feel free to although I'd be a tad bit purterbed. (just in case)

Sighter Tnailog
12-02-07, 01:27 AM
Y'all have some great ideas going here...if there is anything we can do to help, let us moderators know! I don't want to step on anyone's toes as they work on it, though, I'd like to see what y'all come up with.

If you'd like to have a non-mod judge it, just pick your person and send us the name. I'm sure we can agree to abide by that judge's decision on progression in the tournament if you pick someone good. But I will stipulate that issues of gold rewards, EXP rewards, etc, will be determined by an official mod. That's the only extent to which I'll ask that moderators be involved in the judging process.

Good luck with this!

Ataraxis
12-02-07, 01:38 AM
This sounds as awesome as the cake I'm eating!

Delicious.

If player judges are allowed and everyone else on the list suddenly combusts, then I'd gladly be the last drummer of Spinal Tap.

Or something that makes sense. But I've judged before, and my house got vandalized shortly after. I always wondered how they got my address. So, at your risks and perils, fellow gnus! Mine too, especially.

Also, mixing this with a betting system like Dirks is doing with the Citadel would be a good idea to keep interest constant, and with a cut of the winnings, we could even up the initial prize money for more incentive, allowing for a better spread between 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.

The Architect
12-04-07, 08:09 PM
But I will stipulate that issues of gold rewards, EXP rewards, etc, will be determined by an official mod.The exp I completely understand, but what if the House of Sora issued out the gold and other rewards from it's own pocket(at least in terms of the finalists)?

I do have another idea for making things easier on the mods/making this tourny different. If you're interested just let me know (it's kinda complex and I need to write an essay right now).Like I said before I'm interested. The suspense has been killing me for days now lol

Call me J
12-04-07, 08:16 PM
Suggestion, what if you have a mod judge the threads as quests for the purpose of EXP, that way the decisions on advancement can not be undermined by the moderator judgments?

Also, if you're using your own GP, then you can award it as you see fit.

The Architect
12-04-07, 09:39 PM
That's a good way to look at it. If we were to hold the tournaments in regional forums the players could request to have them judged as quests instead of battles. Then we could decide who advances ourselves.

BTW Shot in the dark here, but does anyone think we should do this now?

Heartsblood
12-05-07, 03:14 AM
This sounds like an awesome idea! i really like it. i can't think of anything to add, other than to be certain that there'll be monks to heal the IC losers of their battles. Can't think of any questions either.

i wouldn't suggest trying to do this now though, because there are many people that are involved in the FQ. I would hate to see this flop because there aren't enough people able to be consistent with it because of their involvement in the FQ.

Oh and Moriah has lots of open space that Jasmine could easily commandeer for battles if we need space.

The Architect
12-05-07, 11:16 AM
Just a note: Would it be mean of me to seek some sort of profit for the House of Sora? We wouldn't take much and the means would be completely transparent.

Mathias
12-05-07, 11:20 AM
Honestly, if you, as the players and the characters, are willing to go to the lengths to organize a tournament, hand out the approved, requested awards (or however it'd be done), and fund it all, by yourselves, then I see no reason why your PG and its members shouldn't profit from the success of such an outsanding venture.

Max Dirks
12-05-07, 11:33 AM
Just a note: Would it be mean of me to seek some sort of profit for the House of Sora? We wouldn't take much and the means would be completely transparent.I think you should take a profit if you host the tournament too. What I'd suggest is charging an entry fee of 50-100 GP, and have HoS take a cut. Then use whatever GP is left as prizes for the winners.

Breaker
12-05-07, 11:54 AM
Sorry it took me so long to get back to this... I had kinda forgotten about it.

My suggestion can be combined with one of Shyam's ideas to make everyone's life easier. I'll lay the ideas out in a list to make 'em nice and clear. Also means I don't have to write in full sentences. Cuz me no like.

1) Put a group (say 4 people) in a room/building built by Sora. These people compete in a Cell-like battle, basically an all or nothing free-for-all.

2) As Shyam suggested, have a mod judge it as a quest. Makes it easier on them, and everyone gets decent EXP, which is motivation for some of our newer members to join. Then a pre-designated Sora judge decides who of that group advances to the next round.

3) Impose a word limit, I believe someone suggested 200/post. I think that's a good number, and would give this tournament a new dynamic that I think could only improve its popularity.

EDIT: My other suggestion is get started on organizing this right away, get it up and running as soon as possible. That way you won't lose any interest! I definitely intend to participate in this tournament.

Kovalai
12-05-07, 02:12 PM
This sounds awesome, and as one of the new people here, I'd definitely love to have a character in this. Just wanted to express interest. But I agree it should be done after the FQ, or at least, after the semester ends. <.< >.>

Skie and Avery
12-05-07, 03:55 PM
Sorry it took me so long to get back to this... I had kinda forgotten about it.

My suggestion can be combined with one of Shyam's ideas to make everyone's life easier. I'll lay the ideas out in a list to make 'em nice and clear. Also means I don't have to write in full sentences. Cuz me no like.

1) Put a group (say 4 people) in a room/building built by Sora. These people compete in a Cell-like battle, basically an all or nothing free-for-all.

2) As Shyam suggested, have a mod judge it as a quest. Makes it easier on them, and everyone gets decent EXP, which is motivation for some of our newer members to join. Then a pre-designated Sora judge decides who of that group advances to the next round.

3) Impose a word limit, I believe someone suggested 200/post. I think that's a good number, and would give this tournament a new dynamic that I think could only improve its popularity.

EDIT: My other suggestion is get started on organizing this right away, get it up and running as soon as possible. That way you won't lose any interest! I definitely intend to participate in this tournament.

I really like this, especially the word limit. I think taking Brevity out of the rubric makes it easier to forget how important it is, and makes for a nice little challenge. Plus, I can put the first graders to work, counting the words in my posts and grin when I tell them it's their homework. Ooohhh yeeaaah.

Breaker
12-10-07, 07:42 PM
Ahaha, Manda is the best childcarer ever.

So... what's the word on this, The Architect? Gonna happen? If so, when?

The Architect
12-10-07, 08:11 PM
I'm sure as hell going to do it, but there are so many options and ideas I can work off of I have to figure out exactly how I'm going to do it. Plus I don't want to step on anyone's toes in the featured quest. I think we could increase the pot with a form of parimutuel betting.

Breaker
12-10-07, 08:20 PM
The FQ doesn't really seem to have affected Althanas' activity in other areas... and the first round won't be ending until mid january. IMHO, the sooner this gets underway the better.

If I can be of any assistance, hit me up via PM/IM.

The Architect
12-10-07, 10:21 PM
This is just a rough draft.

Althanas Tournaments: House of Sora Tournament
This is the House of Sora’s first private tournament (hopefully with more to come) in which a combination of three stipulations make for a very unique competition. Members of the power group House of Sora will create the settings in which player characters will compete, there will be a two hundred post per word limit, and finally an Althanas staff moderator will score threads as quests, but House of Sora members will determine who progresses to the next round. This is an especially lucrative opportunity for new members who will gain handsome quest rewards despite the outcome of the battles.

Number of Players Allowed: 32

Rules:
- Players are allowed to join upon payment of the admission fee of 100gp. House of Sora members are not allowed to join on any account. Those participating in the tournament are not allowed to join or express interest in joining the House of Sora.
- The tournament will progress in five rounds with each round lasting a week. There will be a week long break in between each to give the tournament staff time to score and prepare the next round.
- Match ups will be determined by the House of Sora.
- Every match will begin with a setting post written by a member of the House of Sora, also limited to two hundred words.
- At the end of every match Althanas moderators will judge them as quests while House of Sora members will ultimately determine who makes it to the next round.
- This will continue until we have a champion.

Rewards:
First Place wins 2200gp and first pick at a legendary item.
Second Place wins 500gp and second pick at a legendary item.

Breaker
12-10-07, 10:45 PM
I like it; simple yet effective.

Max Dirks
12-11-07, 01:34 AM
At the end of every match Althanas moderators will judge them as quests while House of Sora members will ultimately determine who makes it to the next round.How is this determined, might I ask?

Cyrus the virus
12-11-07, 01:40 AM
People aren't going to be able to judge 16 threads in a week, guys.

HikariAngel
12-11-07, 02:43 AM
If I had to, I could get all sixteen in a week, but that's basically doing nothing but eating, judging, and sleeping the whole time. Perhaps two weeks would be more reasonable?

Cyrus the virus
12-11-07, 03:43 AM
At least for the first round, probably. It really wouldn't be fair for us to bump these threads ahead of whatever queue we'll have at that point in time.

Sighter Tnailog
12-11-07, 10:56 AM
If you put a post limit on top of the 200 word limit, say, 10 posts per person, that makes for fast battles, requires tight pacing, and makes it so the whole thing is under 4000 words. That would help with judging.

And y'all can start this whenever you'd like, it won't interfere with the FQ. Let me know and I can create you a Citadel subforum.

Mutant_Lorenor
12-11-07, 12:34 PM
The Endless are always up for Legendary Items anybody can quest for. Architect, we can talk about this on AIM to put this up as a possible reward for people. Kind of like Althanas' version of Secret Wars. ((My Legendary Items are Lorenor's old Blood Sword and his Symbiote Armor which anyone can quest for at anytime because they are basically just Endless anyway)) I can arrange for an Endless to be one of the prizes as well.

The Architect
12-11-07, 07:17 PM
How is this determined, might I ask?After reading the thread and the moderator commentary we'd score it like a battle.

People aren't going to be able to judge 16 threads in a week, guys.See that is exactly why I put this thread up. I've never payed attention to things like this. Do you think the added ten post per person limit will make things easier for the scoring?

Call me J
12-11-07, 08:24 PM
I'd recommend that you guys judge the threads first, and then submit them to the queue for moderation. That way your tournament can progress faster.

Cyrus the virus
12-11-07, 08:31 PM
That's a good idea. Limiting the word count and post count would also work, and to be honest I've very curious as to how it would go. I like the idea a lot, it'd force people to be brief, but still write well.

HikariAngel
12-11-07, 09:15 PM
I'm loving lots of these ideas. Word count limits, post count limits... that would definitely force people to do their best in as short a space as possible.

What would the penalties for going over the word limits be, though?

Breaker
12-15-07, 02:34 PM
What would the penalties for going over the word limits be, though?

Hmm.. maybe something like once=warning, twice=disqualification?

Sounds harsh, but seriously... how hard is it to put your post in ms word and hit word count?

Also, for anyone curious of what a 200 word limit battle would be like, check this out. (http://althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=9896)

Cyrus the virus
12-15-07, 02:51 PM
In terms of length, that seems about perfect.

The Architect
12-25-07, 08:18 AM
Galaxy (http://www.althanas.com/world/forumdisplay.php?f=211) is here!

Breaker
12-25-07, 09:12 AM
It looks terrific old man. My congrats on getting it up and running.

Mutant_Lorenor
12-25-07, 02:36 PM
Good job man I'm gonna join with Lorenor.

Saxon
12-25-07, 06:01 PM
House of Sora members are not allowed to join on any account. Those participating in the tournament are not allowed to join or express interest in joining the House of Sora.

I think you might have a conflict of interest, Lorenor. O_o

Mutant_Lorenor
12-25-07, 11:23 PM
I don't see how but if that rule's seriously going to be enforced then I guess I'm gonna have to take a pass.

Rajani Aishwara
12-26-07, 07:17 PM
I'm wondering why we only have nine people right now. Saxon, would you like to compete?

Saxon
12-26-07, 07:18 PM
Jobe is my other account. ;)

Ataraxis
12-26-07, 08:33 PM
I'm guessing either because we're in the heart of the holidays, or that the HoS members each have more alts than we'd think!

Karuka
12-26-07, 08:45 PM
Probably both.

Listen, seriously, a 4k word battle max isn't likely to take too long to judge. Why not just have a couple of House members who are liable to remain impartial do the judging, and then let the rest join in with alts?

Saxon
12-26-07, 08:47 PM
Risk of favoritism? O_o

Karuka
12-26-07, 08:51 PM
Hardly. A judge...ANY judge, official or not, has a duty to remain impartial. And honestly, a player has little to gain if one PG were to win over another.

Besides, impartial judges have little to lose or gain if a House player wins - a player being an OOC institution, and the PG being an IC institution - and aren't likely to favor a House member player over someone else. That's why I suggested alts. Naturally, the judges would be prohibited from competing.

Breaker
12-26-07, 09:04 PM
Let HoS members play on alts, I say. Even when the holidays are over it'll be tough to fill 32 slots with an entire PG and their alts barred from the tourny.

BlackAndBlueEyes
12-26-07, 09:06 PM
If that doesn't work, youse guys could also lift the one account per person rule.

I wouldn't mind having Nadia wreck shop in this tourney as well as Madison.

Breaker
12-26-07, 09:18 PM
I'd like to see Madison fight Nadia.

Karuka
12-26-07, 10:55 PM
It'd be like watching twins catfight.

AdventWings
12-26-07, 11:05 PM
I could join in with either Yamihara or Murakama. Although seeing them both fighting each other is going to be a bit interesting...

;)

I'll think on that when my brain's not clogged with classwork. Oy. >.<

Max Dirks
12-27-07, 12:10 AM
If you want people to join and have it be impartial, let the moderators judge the threads as battles. I'm not participating because HoS members are determining who advances rather than judges. What is advertised as a "unique twist" just groans favoritism to me.

Ataraxis
12-27-07, 12:18 AM
One of the main points of judging them as quests was so that the participants both get a fair share of experience and gold, though.

Would it be possible to judge them as battles, but give experience depending on the gold and quest formula instead?

Don't know about the HoS judges, so I won't wander there. Except maybe give the judges a certain weight? Have an average of the scores for each participant, and use the final result to see who moves on? If there are 2 HoS judges, have the moderator judge's score count twice in the equation?

Max Dirks
12-27-07, 12:22 AM
I do believe that would qualify under Judge's discretion, Axaraxis, so I'm sure it can be done. However, I'd like to point out that most of the players with high EXP on Althanas gained it primarily from battles, not quests.

Breaker
12-27-07, 12:29 AM
One of the main points of judging them as quests was so that the participants both get a fair share of experience and gold, though.

Would it be possible to judge them as battles, but give experience depending on the gold and quest formula instead?

Yes. You'd just have the mods give a quest judgement and rewards, then pick a winner with a short paragraph explaining why.

Ataraxis
12-27-07, 12:34 AM
And I'd like to put emphasis on the fact that those High Levels actually did win those battles, which should say a bit about those who didn't.

What if we used the battle formula on the player who won, and the quest formula on the one who lost? That way, it would make the tournament a more profitable venture for anyone, but won't steal focus from the Citadel or Regions since it's not an Althanas fixture.

Godhand
12-27-07, 05:41 PM
If you want people to join and have it be impartial, let the moderators judge the threads as battles. I'm not participating because HoS members are determining who advances rather than judges. What is advertised as a "unique twist" just groans favoritism to me.

I'm all for this just to spite Dirks.

The Architect
12-27-07, 05:52 PM
I'm not participating because HoS members are determining who advances rather than judges. What is advertised as a "unique twist" just groans favoritism to me.I would sit here and try to protest that all day, but there's really no way for me to. All I can say is that you need to trust us. It was suggested that we do that in this thread somewhere, either by me or someone else, but it was approved of. The very concept of judging threads is very subjective to begin with. One moderator could give a quest a score of 52 while another could give a quest a score of 92. I don't think anything could get that extreme, but I think you get my point.

In terms of conflict of interest I don't think this is the most extreme. I do know that moderators have judged in the tournaments they've participated in before.

Karuka
12-27-07, 10:47 PM
The very concept of judging threads is very subjective to begin with. One moderator could give a quest a score of 52 while another could give a quest a score of 92.

It's actually more based on numbers than anything else. While there is some level of subjectivity, if two judges would give scores that far apart, there is blatant bias somewhere. A 52 quest is mediocre - at very best. A 92 quest is very near perfect.

AdventWings
12-28-07, 03:49 AM
How about judges not taking part in the Tournament Judging act as "Referees" to make sure there's no special treatment going on? Two or three Moderators on the panel should do the trick.

The Architect
12-28-07, 05:43 PM
It's actually more based on numbers than anything else. While there is some level of subjectivity, if two judges would give scores that far apart, there is blatant bias somewhere. A 52 quest is mediocre - at very best. A 92 quest is very near perfect.

I don't think anything could get that extreme, but I think you get my point....

Karuka
12-28-07, 06:50 PM
Another reason you'd be better off just having official judges judge matches as battles is that the mod in question has experience in using the rubric to Althanas standards. You cannot guarantee that with all members of HoS.

Call me J
12-28-07, 07:48 PM
Why not just have Atraxis do it? He's a mod and a member of HoS.

Saxon
12-28-07, 11:24 PM
Or we could just stop complaining about it and move on with our lives. I only mentioned favoritism because the judging position can often be considered as advantageous, and there are some folks out there that I believe don't have my best interest at heart, which is the only reason why I would even consider such a thing. But, if the Sora want to choose who goes where, thats their right. I don't see anybody else here trying to run their own private tournament or trying to organize all this stuff, just making random suggestions to a problem that in truth is really trivial. If you guys think its unfair and that mods should be handling this, then take your gold and go elsewhere or even try to develop your own tournament with your own set of arbitrary rules that you believe to be fair.

If Architect asks us to trust him and the people he puts in charge, that should be good enough for everybody. I mean, I don't really see any reason why we shouldn't trust these folks yet. There is only one time when this matter should even be considered, and that is when people actually start pulling stupid vindictive shit. Besides, if you really look at it, its 100 gold. It ain't much, and I can guarentee that if your that upset and petty about how the system they orchastrated gypped you, you've got far bigger problems. Not to mention, half the people I see arguing about this crap didn't even register for the tournament so in what way is it their problem? :rolleyes:

Breaker
12-28-07, 11:41 PM
Look guys.

Are you looking? The whole reason this discussion got started is Tony suggested more people would join the tournament if HoS members weren't judging it.

Would those of you that haven't joined yet consider doing so if moderators judged the battles? If that's the case then maybe HoS should consider altering the rules. But if it's not... why aren't people joining?

Slayer of the Rot
12-29-07, 01:56 AM
I really wanted to join, but Bohemia is in HoS. If that rule wasn't in effect, or something was done about it, I'd register at head-spinning speeds.

Breaker
12-29-07, 02:02 AM
I really wanted to join, but Bohemia is in HoS. If that rule wasn't in effect, or something was done about it, I'd register at head-spinning speeds.

That's probably the case for a lot of people, and perhaps a sign that moderators should make the decisions. Personally I don't mind trusting HoS members to do that, but I get the feeling some people do.

I realize I'm not aware how much effort goes into the judging process (it seems like a lot) but each battle will be less than 4000 words long so they wouldn't take long to read, and there'd be less quantity to judge.

How do HoS members and mods feel about that?

The Architect
12-29-07, 12:54 PM
I have two simple questions.

@House Members: How many of you would be willing to enter the tournament under alternative accounts?

@Other Players: How many of you would be willing to enter the tournament if I changed the judging situation(Max)?

Bloodrose
12-29-07, 01:05 PM
My other character, Abenaki, is a member of House Sora - albeit a rather inactive one since I've kind of drifted away from using him at the moment.

I would be more that willing to join under this account is HoS alternates were allowed to enter.

The Architect
01-01-08, 07:30 PM
Okay, I've changed the rules. House members are permitted to enter the tournament on alternate accounts, but they will no longer be determining who progresses to the next round.