PDA

View Full Version : Citadel Gambling

Max Dirks
11-28-07, 10:48 PM
In my moderating youth, I discovered that players were only interested in tournaments when they were participating. If they weren't participating or had been beaten and removed, they simply stopped caring. That's when I decided to offer an incentive to stay interested: tournament gambling. Everyone is attracted to money. Goods don't come cheap in Althanas anymore, you know. When there was gambling offered, people stayed interested in the tournament throughout its entirety. It was healthy for the feature, and it was healthy for Althanas' economy.

Well, it appears that Citadel battles are going the way of the tournament battle. If people aren't participating they don't care. I remember the day that when Devon challenged Treslizn or Renzokuken challenged Artificial Human 21, people couldn't take their eyes off the battle. If you didn't notice: all those people are gone! We have new veterans and impressive novices. Why can't it be a big deal when numbers challenges Logan or when Witchblade takes on Lorenor? It can be, and Imperial is going to help. Imperial is now going to offer over-under gambling on all open challenges in the Citadel. If the gambling takes off, we plan on opening it for all battles. Interested? Here's how it works:

----------

Gambling Guidelines

Each time an open challenge is accepted in the Citadel, a member of the high council of Imperial will post an number presumed to be the score difference between the two players when the thread is judged. For example:

Max Dirks |6| 016573

The player on the left is the challenger and the player on the right is the challengee. The number in the brackets is the expected score difference between the players. The example above reads the score difference between Max Dirks and will be 061573 6 points.

Betting

To make a bet on a Citadel match, post a reply here with the battle title, the amount of the bet and whether you choose the "over" or the "under" or the "spread." The minimum bet on a single match is 20 GP. The maximum bet on a single match is 200 GP. Your bet much fall within the minimum and the maximum. Bets can be placed at anytime during the battle. Players can bet multiple times on the same battle to a maximum of 3 different bets.

Winning

If you correctly choose "over" or "under" or "spread" in a battle, you win the bet. If there are multiple winners, the pot for each battle is spread evenly among the winners. Tip: the more people that participate, the higher the payout. If someone isn't betting opposite of you, don't bother placing a bet. In the example above, if Max Dirks wins by 7, anyone who voted over wins. If Max Dirks loses by 3, everyone who voted under wins.

Special Bets

There is a way to secure a higher payout in the event of multiple winners. For an additional 50 GP, you can lock your bet to a particular score difference. If the battle ends with the score difference you predicted, you automatically receive a 25% greater share of the pot than the other winners. If multiple people lock in score differences, but no one predicts the correct score difference, the person with the closer score difference earns the 25% greater share of the pot. If only one personal purchases the score difference lock, that person automatically receives 25% greater payout. If no one secures the bet, and no one wins, the bank keeps the money.

Note: For the service we provide, Imperial takes a 4% cut of any winners payout. If you lose, you do not pay any money to Imperial.

If you have any questions, you may ask them here. All amounts will be deducted after the battle is complete. You are on the honor system. If you want to continue to have this feature, do not abuse your gambling privileges. We may add in odds and other ways to win if this takes off.

----------

Over Under Section

Name of Battle
Challenger |SD| Challengee

The Runt and the Ruin (http://althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=9592)
Mathias |3| 016573

Hunter's Eve Saga 1 (http://althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=9553)
Mutant_Lorenor |2| Bewitched

The Rumored Return (http://althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=9471)
Logan |1| Koran

Mathias
11-28-07, 10:59 PM
100 gold, Under, for Moonlit Raven on "The Flip Side."

Bloodrose
11-28-07, 11:03 PM
What happens if the score difference between the two combatants is exactly what is predicted here? Say the battle between #'s and Mathias ends in scores of 73 to 70, with a 3 point difference?

Would that mean that there is no over and no under? Would all bets be null and void, or would Imperial keep the pot? Could I place a bet saying the difference between their scores will be the SD listed?

Just curious.

Max Dirks
11-28-07, 11:08 PM
Technically you can bet the spread. I should have made that clear. If the spread wins, and no one bet it, then we will look to those who have secured their score difference to determine a winner. If no one secures the score difference, the the bank keeps the money.

Zook Murnig
11-28-07, 11:10 PM
The Flip Side is actually more than just Raven and Shadar. It's a 4 to 6 way fight. So far, Earthwalker and I have also joined in.

Max Dirks
11-28-07, 11:15 PM
Mathias, keep your money on "Flip Side," I forgot that it has multiple participants, so I had to remove it.

Izvilvin
11-29-07, 01:46 AM
You should include my battle with Dissinger!!

Max Dirks
11-29-07, 10:14 AM
You should include my battle with Dissinger!!Only open battles for now. That's what we're trying to promote.

Jake Narmolanya
11-29-07, 03:13 PM
The Runt and the Ruin
200 GP, Over.

Hunter's Eve Saga 1
200 GP, Over.

The Rumored Return
200 GP, Over.

I sure hope all these battles finish. C'mon people, let's get some betting on!

Dissinger
11-29-07, 05:41 PM
Only open battles for now. That's what we're trying to promote.

Well, technically it WAS open, he just went about leaving it open in a roundabout way. He went to recruiting rather than just posting an open battle.

But...I could understand if you'd rather it be true open battles.

Earthwalker
11-30-07, 05:47 AM
So... what exactly prevents folks from betting on "The Flip Side"? You just have it set up so that you get wins based on how close the bet was to being right.

For example: Say Mathias bets on Moonlit, and someone else bets on Caduceus, Zook's character. Both bets are 100 gold. But, by some strange happening convenient to this example, neither of them win. However, Mathias bet 100 on Moonlit, and this other hypothetical person bet 100 on Caduceus. Moonlit came out, let's say, 2 points ahead of Zook - Mathias would win the bet, because he was closer to being right.

When two people bet on the same person, the number ( the one in between the | |'s) would refer to the difference between first and second place.

Make sense?

Breaker
11-30-07, 08:48 AM
I think you're misunderstanding how this thread works. It's not like your standard Tournament gambling thread.

In over/under betting, you don't bet on who's going to win; for this purposes of our gambling, winner is irreleveant. You simply say which thread you are betting on, how much GP you are betting, and whether you pick over, or under. If the score difference is over the number we estimated and you bet over, you win. But if you bet over and the score difference is under our estimate, you lose.

The reason this kind of betting won't work for the Flip Side is that there are more than 2 combattants, therefore more than one score difference. Hopefully I managed to clear things up for you.

I'd appreciate it if future questions were kept to PM, feel free to send your inquiries to Max Dirks or myself. After all, this is a gambling thread. Faites vos jeux!

Kovalai
11-30-07, 11:43 AM
Earthwalker actually understood that, what he was trying to say was exactly that. If you're betting on The Flip Side, what you're betting on there is that person a is over or under person b. As you said, "there's more than one score difference." So, the only necessary difference, besides the trouble of assigning a whole bunch of different score differences, someone would need to say "I'm betting 50 gold that Earthwalker is over Caduceus." This way, you've defined which pair you're betting on.

Unless that isn't what he meant and I'm giving Inks too much credit, in which case I claim the idea for myself. Muahahaha!

Earthwalker
11-30-07, 03:49 PM
No, no. That's what I was saying. No claiming my ideas.

Breaker
11-30-07, 04:52 PM
Earthwalker actually understood that, what he was trying to say was exactly that. If you're betting on The Flip Side, what you're betting on there is that person a is over or under person b. As you said, "there's more than one score difference." So, the only necessary difference, besides the trouble of assigning a whole bunch of different score differences, someone would need to say "I'm betting 50 gold that Earthwalker is over Caduceus." This way, you've defined which pair you're betting on.

Unless that isn't what he meant and I'm giving Inks too much credit, in which case I claim the idea for myself. Muahahaha!

First of all guys, I'm asking again. Please stop spamming in this thread.

In reference to this - "I'm betting 50 gold that Earthwalker is over Caduceus" - You don't bet on who is going to score over who. We give you a number, which is our estimated score difference. It doesn't matter who wins, all that matters is what the difference is between their scores. If you bet over, you're betting the score difference will be greater than our estimate. If you bet under, you're betting the difference will be lesser than our estimate.

The reason we aren't including that battle is because of the trouble of assigning a bunch of score differences. There are four combattants, which means six score differences. For our own sanity, we are omitting this battle.

But don't worry! There are plenty of other battles which I encourage you to bet on. In fact, here are two fresh ones.

The Peregrine Bout (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=9569)
Rajani Aishwara |2| Tamara Roth

Citadel of the Forest (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=9022)
Wulfgang |5| Call me J

Dirks will be on to edit these into his original post later. But they're still fair game... Faites vos jeux!

EDIT: By the way, there are currently two unjoined open battles in the Citadel, which need a second participant before they can appear there. Anyone up for a duel? Check them out!

Shadar
12-01-07, 10:38 AM
I whole-heartedly support this and will spill my meager funds into it like a drunken idiot in Vegas.

(When someone adds Gisela gp, I might go gamble crazy with Twisted.)

The Runt and the Ruin
20 gp, Under

Hunter's Eve Saga 1
20 gp, Over

The Rumored Return
20 gp, Over

Citadel of the Forest
20 gp, Over

Kovalai
12-01-07, 02:10 PM
I'll bet 100 gold under on The Peregrine Bout

Breaker
12-03-07, 11:24 AM
New thread!

Hunter's Eve 3 (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=9713)

Mutant_Lorenor |4| The Writing Writer

Also, The Runt and the Ruin (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=9592) has recently been completed and submitted for judging. Get your bets in before it's too late.

Furthermore... there are two unanswered open challenges in the Citadel. The Famished and the Fallen (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=9649) and Silken steel, scarlet blood (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=9616) are both awaiting a second combattant. Let's see some action!

Sighter Tnailog
12-04-07, 11:27 PM
If you have any questions, you may ask them here.

If you're not going to abide by this rule, and instead ask people to PM questions, then please remove this note from your first post. I think it's confusing people.

Breaker
12-05-07, 12:00 AM
Unfortunately, I cannot edit someone else's post.

New Thread!

The Famished and Fallen (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=9649)
Skie and Avery |6| Peacemaker

Get your bets in on all matchups!

Sighter Tnailog
12-05-07, 02:03 PM
I have 20 GP on The Runt and the Ruin. I'm betting the spread.

Elijah_Morendale
12-05-07, 02:16 PM
150 GP Over on The Runt and the Ruin

Skie and Avery
12-05-07, 02:19 PM
200 gold on the Famished and Fallen, Under.

Sighter Tnailog
12-06-07, 12:58 PM
20 GP on the Famished and the Fallen, under