The Alchemist
05-10-06, 09:48 PM
Name: Edward Helvestius
Race: Human
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Blue
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 173lbs

Personality: Edward is very serious about his work and often gets annoyed when interrupted while making potions. He can be a joker but is hard to tell when he is because his jokes are comments like "idiot" and "stupidity". Though he can never turn down a drink or an adventure because to him moving is the key source to new materials for new potions. But the downside to being with him is he does not like to test what he makes.

Appearance: A long light brown trench coat with dark brown fur on the rim by the neck end. Light brown trousers with black dress shoes with a black collared doublet. His hair is oiled back also he keeps his mustache thin an clean across the top of his lips and on his chin he keeps a slick pointed goatee.

History: This is not to say that Helvestius’es vision was shared by most natural philosophers of his time. He believed himself to be an adept of spiritual alchemy; as such, he expected the path to spiritual perfection to be a many-staged and intricate process. Certainly the language he used to describe the process sounds odd to modern ears. He was born in R'uuya at, his mother's home, a small city now part of Fallien his Father from Anebrilith. His father, now an official of the Istien University administration, had him very carefully educated at Turlin. Although traditionally influenced by the art of alchemy his independent thought was served by an extraordinary intelligence and memory, which allowed him to overtake his teachers at the age of fourteen. Julae la’ fa was put under the charge of a tutor for Edward , and his precocity soon made him the marvel of his neighbors; he displayed exceptional intellectual behavior and was a Child prodigy who had memorized the History of Raiaera by the age of 10 and a great deal of Elvish poetry as well. From a greengrocer he learned arithmetic, and he began to learn more from a wandering scholar who gained a livelihood by curing the sick and teaching the young. However he was greatly troubled by metaphysical problems and in particular the works of Sighter Tnailog a bard who study at the Istien University for years. So, for the next year and a half, he also studied philosophy, in which he encountered greater obstacles. In such moments of baffled inquiry, he would leave his books, perform the requisite ablutions, then go to the mosque, and continue in prayer till light broke on his difficulties. Deep into the night he would continue his studies, stimulating his senses by occasional cups of milk, and even in his dreams problems would pursue him and work out their solution. Forty times, it is said, he read through the art of alchemy, till the words were imprinted on his memory; but their meaning was hopelessly obscure, until one day they found illumination, from the little commentary by Vatiue Deshola, which he bought at a bookstall for the small sum of three gold. So great was his joy at the discovery, thus he continued his work of alchemy. He turned to medicine at 16, and not only learned medical theory, but by gratuitous attendance on the sick had, according to his own account, discovered new methods of treatment. The teenager achieved full status as a physician at age 18 and found that "Medicine is no hard and thorny science, like mathematics and metaphysics, so I soon made great progress; I became an excellent doctor and began to treat patients, using approved remedies." The youthful physician's fame spread quickly, and he treated many patients without asking for payment. His first appointment was that of physician to the poor, who owed him his recovery from a dangerous illness. Years now he still studies alchemy and yet to fully understand its true meaning. But things make it harder for him now that he is shunned from churches for his occupation but still makes a living off what he loves. He is whole life is revolved around finding the “philosophers stone”.

Skills: Alchemy(he can carry only 3 potions at a time)

Potion of health: A small potion of health that restores a tiny amount enough to cure a light wound from a dagger or a light arrow wound.( made from water and grass without these he cant make this potion)

Potion of Poison: Potion that is in a liquid form and is not so deadly it takes at least three days before the target falls to their death., Applies this to sword for use ( made from snake venom, pine needles, and water without these he cant make this potion) note: a regular healer can cure this until he turns it into a stronger version(no need to worry about the stronger version now).

Leathery Skin: Makes his skin hard as leather, good for three post (made from tree bark, sap, and water without these he cannot make this potion)

Equipment: Aside from the flashy suit Edward wields a Calvary Saber which he is pretty skilled with from training, having to deal with bandits and wolves when out in the woods it has become a faithful companion. With him he carriers a mortar & pedestal to mix materials for alchemic potions also makes a great cup an soup bowl.

Cyrus the virus
05-15-06, 09:07 AM
Did you write this? (http://www.alchemylab.com/fermentation.htm)

How many potions does he carry on him at this time? Not much, please. Also keep in mind you will have to make new potions in a thread, and have them approved as spoils before they can be used.

Is there an antidote to the poison potion? How is it purged from the body? Can a regular healer or doctor do it?

And Helvetius was a philosopher in the 12th century or something, wasn't he? His history doesn't match up to yours, I believe. Hrm.

The Alchemist
05-16-06, 05:00 PM
I just got rid of the whole what he studies part becaues I figured it would be unnecessary and you are thinking of Johannes Helvetius [1625-1709] there is a slight differance between my name and his.

Cyrus the virus
05-16-06, 05:54 PM
I'm aware that there's a very slight, almost insignificant different between the names. It's fine to take inspiration from real people or existing characters, I was just making a note that I was aware of the similarity between the two.

Anyway, approved.