PDA

View Full Version : Music

Komosatuo
05-10-06, 10:14 PM
Komosatuo smiled.

It was almost exactly like home. The long green grasses of the eastern fields, swaying in a warm southern breeze, stretching out over the horizon to disappear in a sea of blue. The high rise wooden buildings, with their tiled roofs and jagged corners curving northward into the pale blue sky. The perfectly straight lines of the main street, its path gouged with years of travel by foot, horse and wagon. Even the colors were right, the pale greens and blues, mixed with distracting hues of yellow and orange, red and gray, black and purple, all of it. It was so much that it forced the smile onto his face before he could control himself. It was home, but with only one problem.

He knew that it wasn't.

He had heard rumors of the citadel’s grandeur, its strange finesse with creating areas of unparalleled splendor and grace, all seemingly within the blink of an eye. He hadn't believed them at first, never thought it possible to create based solely on a mans memory of a place. That was before he had first come here, mostly out of a strange pulling curiosity to see that which was on so many tongues and it had left his throat dry and his tongue still as he took in the sight he believed false.

He walked silently up the main street of his peoples compound, pale gray eyes wide with wonder at how perfectly the buildings were sculpted. He thought that they could even be better built than the real ones. Their lines were perfect. There was not a flaw in sight. Even the gravel, crunching softly beneath his foot falls, was precisely placed, each pebble in its entirely, placed just so. It was mind boggling; Komosatuo had never been rendered so speechless ever before in his life.

He stopped to stand solemn guard on the stoop of a large, ornate building, which seemed carved from a single tree instead of cleverly crafted from dozens. Each board fit so snugly with the other that there seams needed no holding plaster, the building was self supporting, self sealing. He let his gaze move casually over the rest of the buildings, each of similar design to the first, but each strikingly different from the last.

It was home, but again, he knew that it wasn't. Was it missing something or was it just because he knew that it wasn’t? Aside from there being no people - that hadn't surprised him, seeing people on the main street of his compound was a rare sight - there was something else missing. Something that was always there, hovering in the background. Like an older brother who always followed you when you went fishing with your friends, there to protect you should trouble arise but you never knew he was there until the moment was upon you. Like a feeling, a feeling you get when eyes are watching you, but you do not see them. Not a fearful feeling, a comforting feeling, a gentle feeling.

His fingers twitched and he felt his ears begin to ache; he knew what it was. Music. There was no music. He could remember the town always filled with the eerie sound of music, its piercing whistles and low nots filling the buildings and street with a sense of life, a sense of belonging. It was silent now, so silent that it hurt. He had never noticed it outside. There was always noise there, something to preoccupy his ears. His smile falter and he spun around in a daze, looking at each building in turn, not knowing really where to turn.

He began to panic. His ears, they hurt! His arms snapped up to his head and he clutched at his hears. He almost screamed but before the sound could form in the back of his throat, his hand caught on something on his back and he stopped. His flute. He hadn't really known why he had bought it. He thought it just a whim, something to spend money on. The same could be said for the trousers he now wore, as well as the bands wrapping around his wrists and forearms. Just a whim, perhaps now though, it was something more.

He pulled it from his back and held it in front of his body, studying it. It was a shiny white wood, elegant beyond compare and about two feet long. The piece where his mouth blew air into was a intricately carve bowl, surrounded by flowing leaves and swaying flowers. The shaft was twisted with a long vine, bearing fruit of all kinds and looking to be in full bloom. The holes representing the various notes were cleverly disguised as the variety of fruits, the casual eye wouldn't have noticed them, had the flute been laying on its side. He turned the flute over in his hands, admiring its craftsmanship and smiled suddenly. If there was no music here, then he would just have to make his own.

He might not be a master musician, but during his stay at the compound he had developed an understanding of the basic mechanics of a musical instrument. He could play most anything, and play it well enough, if not perfectly. He placed the flute against his lips and blew into it. It produced a high-pitched squeal and he smiled, it sounded good too. Placing his fingers over a select few holes he placed the flute back against his lips and blew again. His fingers moved methodically over the holes and the produced sound, was something close to the music he had heard at the compound, someone who had lived there would have not recognized it for it was very much butchered, but to any passerby, it sounded sweet, timely and very relaxing.

He stood on the stoop, playing the flute and slowly rocking side to side on his feet.

((Open))

Celsius
05-11-06, 04:04 AM
Was it this? Was this the famed Citadel?

It didn’t seem to amaze Celsius Abel as much as it amazed people from the stories others told. It looked no different than a city or a town. Was this really where thousands have men battled before, just to prove they were worthy of even setting foot on such a settlement? Queer, why it didn’t trigger Celsius’s curiosity to go further. Citadel seemed to have a legend that every arena it had would seem different to the eyes of each two pairs of opponents, each one having it’s own challenge.

And of all the places he could choose, it happened to be an arena that had the façade of a town. He was actually expecting something much more grand, like seeing the fires of hell. Wait, why was that? This wasn’t how his mind worked most of the time—maybe there was something in the Citadel that made your adrenaline work much more terrible in the need of the most exciting battle you could muster.

‘Ahren, are you there?’ Celsius called out to the being that rested in his mind.

No reply.

Great, it was Ahren himself who said he wanted to check the place out. Celsius didn't really care, because he had the choice of picking a fight with anyone he came across with. He didn't have to walk into a grand place just to find the right arena, but here he was anyway. Ahren, the one who persuaded him to be there, was gone the moment he went in. 'Unreliable, really...'

He turned around to look for the exit, seeing as this didn’t seem to excite him as much as he expected. He gave a deep sigh and put one foot in front of the other. He had only been walking for a while when he suddenly heard something foreign—something that seemed to be the melody of a song, emitting from an instrument that another being played. Was this who his opponent was supposed to be?

Celsius raised his dark red eyes and met the figure of a man playing a flute. Why he was doing so in such a place was beyond Celsius, but to say the least, the melody was very soothing; one that you didn’t normally hear in a battlefield.

Wait… why does that melody seem familiar?

“Hey, you!” Celsius called out, projecting his voice to break the reverie of the seeming musician. The demon squinted his eyes to get a better view of the person. He seemed to be in the garbs of a person Celsius had never seen before. The uniform he wore made him seem like he was wrapped in mystery, and mysteries were something, which challenged Celsius.

Where the hell have I heard that before?

((OOC: Please tell me if I made a mistake in understanding what the setting was. ): And unlike my character, I think it was a pretty cool choice to make. ^_^))

Komosatuo
05-15-06, 11:36 PM
((Sorry about the wait.))

The music held him as its captive, refusing to release him from its comforting grips. It let his mind wander endlessly within the corners of his mind, flying free through the empty blackness that it was. He found peace in that blackness, peace that had surprised him in the fact that he realized he lived a life of chaos. He was always on alert, always aware - or trying to be - of his surroundings, he had never before found such solitude. Such relaxation.

It was bliss.

But, like most things real or imaginary, that which is fun or exciting must always come to an abrupt end, leading into chaos and suffering. Be it a happy dream of flowers and blue sky that suddenly turns to barren wastelands and a dead red sky, or a peaceful song full of memories, turned with interruption and corruption. He found the latter to be truth.

The words of the new comer shattered his peace and caused him to produce an ear splitting screech as he flinched and started awake. He growled and clutched the flute tightly in his left fist and whipped his head around to stare at whom it was that interrupted him. He thought he should have been startled to see who it was, but he wasn't, he couldn't be. He had to be aware of everything around him, even in peace.

Then is it really peace? His thoughts, rare as they were, spoke truth for his mind and eyes. He smiled as the thought dove back into the subconscious ocean of his mind and he took a step forward.

Descending the steps was almost as joyful as mounting them. It seemed every step he took in this place brought back homely memories; it felt good. He smiled inwardly to himself as he centered himself in the road way and turned sharply to face the new comer. It was a boy, not nearly out of his teens, even if it was his late teens, and was dressed in a very casual attire consisting of a brown shirt and black pants. His boots look well kept, and well worn. The boy must do a lot of traveling, or a lot of fighting. The breastplate strapped to his chest said as much, and was only reinforced by the axe that hung on his person. It was at that moment that a memory struck him. It was of two monks, conversing in the halls of the great Citadel . . .

They sat together, the two of them, with their backs to him, theirs heads together and their voices low, but not out of hearing.

"I wonder what great fight we're going to have to clean up after this one's finished."

The second responded to the firsts with an equal grace and softness.

"I don't know, I just hope it isn't as bad as the last one."

Komosatuo didn't know what they meant by 'the last one' but he understood the rest of it, even if it had been in passing. This place was designed, built and maintained around one thing; fighting. This was why this man was here he realized. He was here for a fight. He smiled and held his flute back up to his mouth, blowing a soft, jumpy melody in it before speaking.

"Tell me, before I 'Hey, you!' back, do you have a calling to music?"

Komosatuo smiled as he began to play another tune, this one somber and deliberate. It reminded him almost of a stupid person.

"Perhaps something to dance too?"

The next tune was very fast, clipped and easily danced too.

"Maybe sleep too?"

He once again began to play the tune he had originally played, but cut it short after a few notes.

"Or perhaps you just don't give a damn?"

He blew as hard as he could into the flute and produced a series of loud shrieks and whistles, thankfully - for his own ears sake - he only continued for a few seconds. He chuckled lightly as he lowered the flute after he had finished and shifted his legs apart and crossed his arms across his chest as he looked the boy up and down.

"Tell me, before you die, why it is you have come here, to this town, to violate my people’s customs?"

There were no people here, but the boy didn't know that. Komosatuo did, he could sense when his people were about; it came with being a part of the Horachi'Lykn Ninja, a sense of where your comrades lay. He had no such feeling this time; his people were not near. He lifted the flute to his mouth once again and stared at the man over its glistening surface.

"Hurry. My patience wears thin."

Komosatuo once again began playing the deliberate tune. Slow and jerky, like a stupid person trying to figure out how many fingers it took to pick his nose effectively. His eyes began to laugh through the slit of his scarf mask and he waited for the boy to answer his questions, or perhaps to simply attack. It didn't matter which. Komosatuo would be ready.

Celsius
05-16-06, 09:53 AM
Celsius stood in place, and he could feel himself clenching his fists in annoyance. His ears felt like it wanted to fall off, with the horrible shrieks the man before him did. He glared at the man with a frown as he planted both of his feet firmly on the ground, preventing himself from charging suddenly. A lot of things got on Celsius’s nerves, and he couldn’t let a man like this just mock him in that way. First of all, he had done nothing to deserve such mockery.

“The last choice was right, I don’t really give a damn.” Celsius mumbled under his breath, knowing well that he hadn’t really meant for the person to hear it. The only melody that caught his attention was the one he had interrupted. For some reason, it made him remember something. It was a sweet melody, but all he could feel when he heard it was reminiscing a past which wasn’t his—and it was a painful past. I don’t get it, what was that?

“Do you really think I care if I violated your customs, or the fact that you’re impatient?” Celsius said with a smirk as he took a step forward. He clenched his fists tightly around the handle of his heavy axe, feeling the rough surface touch his skin. It had been so long since he had used his weapon, and the idea of being able to certainly made his blood rush with anticipation.

There were a few reasons on why he wanted a fight at that moment. The man was conceited, probably more conceited than he was, and this annoyed him. He also wanted to know just what was in that first melody, but he was too proud to admit he was curious. And of course, the final reason—he just loved to fight.

“If you want to know what I’m doing here, isn’t it quite simple? I want a fight. It’s not my fault I’m in this so-called town of yours, but that’s just how life is, isn’t it?” Celsius chuckled, brushing away a mass of auburn hair from his eyes to get a better view at his supposedly opponent. “If you want me out, you’ll just have to make me, won’t you?” He said it with a jeer and the same tone the man had used before to mock him several times.

Komosatuo
05-16-06, 12:27 PM
Komosatuo stopped playing his flute and laughed. He threw his head back and laughed, eyes closed, mouth open and chest heaving. His laughter echoed off the walls and through the halls of the building, amplifying it, carrying it on longer than it would have normally lasted. It lasted for a good two minutes, Komosatuo not stopping until tears had come to his eyes and his sides began to cramp. Even then he was still chuckling and he moved to wipe his eyes before speaking.

"Not your fault? Not, your, fault. Heh. Boy, you've got a lot of nerve waltzing in here like that and saying it isn't your fault. The least you could have done was not interrupt me."

Komosatuo was still chuckling when he lifted his flute to point at the boy’s axe.

"You look about ready to chop down an oak tree with that thing. If it's a fight you want, it's a fight you'll get."

Komosatuo then began to laugh again, not a hard as he had the first time, just a light laugh, a mirthless laugh. He held the flute back up to his lips and smiled.

"But first, I feel I need to play some more music."

Softly blowing into the bowl of the flute, Komosatuo let his fingers move over the holes bored into the shaft on their own accord. The resulting sound was both sweet and joyful, as well as vulgar and insulting. It was a quick little tune, one that made you just want to bounce around on your toes and fling your arms out to either side and just spin. Komosatuo indulged himself to bounce from foot to foot, occasionally sliding his foot out to the left or the right, bending a knee and then leaping back up and doing it again a few seconds later. All the while he watched the boy’s movements over the top of his flute, consciously aware of what was going on, even as he danced and played the flute.

Letho
09-24-06, 10:40 AM
This thread has been closed due to inactivity and moved to the Archives. If you wish to reactivate this thread, please PM me or one of the administrators.