Well, I read the entire judging thread in "Your Word", and lots of good points were brough up. I think the issue with judging in Althanas is due to a series of connected issues:
  • Althanas administration grossly underestimates what they ask from in their judging volunteers.
  • Judging is perceived as a thankless job.
  • Judging is no longer perceived as an honor, but rather a duty.

1. Althanas administration grossly underestimates what they ask from in judging volunteers.

WANTED

Judges!
Must be skilled writers, assessed as creme de la creme from a crop of very good writers. Must be willing to commit to an enormous, endless stream of work. Must be willing to be consistent, fair, patient, and dilligent.
If you get tired, take a fucking hike, we don't need you. There's plenty more great writers where you come from that would rather do this.

Now certainly I exaggerate for effect, but I'm not long off. Hence massive turnover being viewed as healthy.

2./3. Judging is perceived as thankless / it is not an honor but a duty.

It appears that at any given time, there are roughly 3 or 4 judges who are good and are working dilligently. They strive to maintain a high standard and work to keep the volume down.

Here's the problem: there's also about 20 other judges who aren't doing dick at any given time.

I think we need to figure out who -REALLY- wants the job. Not more than 3 or 4 people. We need to make sure that they are the people judging, and that they are capable. We need to stop just hiring more when more are needed, and remove judges who are not working.

If the entire judging staff was reduced to only a select few, that select few quickly gains a huge bump in prestige. They are empowered; they are the decision makers.

Dilution needs to be dealt with. If there are only a few judges, their respective input becomes MUCH more valuable, and their standing in Althanas is more highly sought after. Tournaments could be run to determine the winners ALLOWED to be judges, because people should WANT the job. When almost anyone who wants the job is granted access, there is no longer prestige associated with the power entrusted.

I know this isn't foolproof, but I firmly believe that to re-establish productive judging, we need to redefine the judging role and re-establish it as a true privilege, acknowledging the judges as being more clearly delineated as the "Chosen Few".

Oh, and hi. Hope all is well. Good to see you, and what-what.