Quote Originally Posted by Lacchi View Post
Wow, I'm confused by all of this and am feeling a little sheltered at the moment. I can't remember ever earing of any of this... Ever! Of course, I might have simply gotten bored and stopped listening, I do that sometimes... But still... Now, would someone explain to me who these people are and what you are talking about? Please? Also, I'm not good with religions, but don't catholics have priests, and isn't there a shirt in that crowd somewhere that says 'Priests rape boys.com'? See, this is why I'm confused... And what's Fighting words?
They're a bunch of hate-filled individuals that call themselves the "Westboro Baptist Church." See Wikipedia for a description: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church. They're definitely not Catholics, and I don't think they're really considered Baptists either. I'm not too familiar with all the branches of Christianity, but they say they are a denomination of it even though others seem to disagree with them.

Anyway, "fighting words" are a legal classification of words that can be reasonably expected to cause violence. They reason they're important is because they're not protected by the First Amendment of the Constitution and can therefore be punished.