I, like many people out there, like to refer to people in narrative to make things easier.

I.E. if 'Hopper is fighting someone named Steve, I'll write something like:

'Hopper slashes at Steve's head

This isn't dialogue, 'Hopper is not saying "Hello there Steve! I would like to hit you in the head today."

'Hopper isn't doing an inner monologue like,
Damn! This steve guy is really tough to beat! thought 'Hopper.

I'm referring to Steve in a description of events. Unfortunately, I'll get dinged for "hopper doesn't know Steve's name, why is he using it?"

I've read through a few posts and judgings, and it appears that everyone who does this gets dinged for it, so I'm not crying about being singled out or anything, this seems to be the standard for all Althanas judging

I'm also wondering, Why is this considered bad form? It's much more clear than saying "'Hopper slashes at the human in front of him" - it doesn't really matter that 'Hopper himself doesn't know Steve's name, because I, Mike, the third-person narrator, know Steve's name, and I'm the one talking about it.

This habit might, concievably, make it hard to remember whether 'Hopper ICly knows someone's name or not, and make it easy to slip-up, but it shouldn't be penalized on it's own.