Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5'9" 150 lbs

A Journey of a Million Steps...

"...starts with one."

"I know, Jack, I remember what Caius said just as well as you do. But I'm not going through with it!"

Silence fell between the siblings. He stood only a few inches taller than her, a point he had always been sore about. He ran a hand through his hair and lowered his head, avoiding her pleading eyes.

"And neither should you, Jack."

"Yes I should," he said slowly, resolutely, as he lifted his head back into place above hers. "I have to."

"But why?" she responded, her voice sounding clear and innocent over the sounds of the noisy dock. Her brown hair was ruffled by the salty breeze, but never overtook her amber eyes.

"I'm ready," he responded, his own green eyes readying for the tears, his throat tickled by the words. "I need to see for myself what it's really like out there." The hood of his cloak rested loosely on his back, revealing his rigidly short hair. The wind hit him, too, slapping his cloak rhythmically against his lower legs. Their horses stood by patiently, somewhat nervous from the activity of such a busy place.

"But I'm not ready to see you go."

She broke, then, and those amber orbs filled with liquid sadness, and she just stared at him imploringly. "Please don't go..."

He had always been like this. It was so easy to set him off. He had become good at hiding his feelings from the public, but there were certain things he couldn't handle. And his sister was one of them. He, too, began crying, and in a rare display of brotherly affection, reached out and pulled his sister towards him. He enveloped her in what he guessed might be their final embrace. He guided her head onto his shoulder and nestled his eyes against her hair, burrowing his head by her neck. She returned the hug and they squeezed hard.

They both knew this was goodbye. He had made up his mind to set forth into the world, and he knew he couldn't allow himself to be swayed now. And she was finally beginning to realize just that: There was no way he was coming home today. But she held on to that faint hope that their paths would one day bring them together again, whether by his steps or by hers, and she did her best to dry her eyes and be brave.

They backed off a step and he took a big breath, making sure he got a good mental image of her to carry with him. And even though she made him think of home, of that privileged lifestyle with servants and friends and his sister and-

But he was leaving. And he wouldn't think of home anymore until he was on that ship. Because then it would be too late.

"Well, why don't you go and try to return your ticket. They might give you your money back."

"Forget it. It was Dad's money, anyways. Besides," she continued, forcing a smile, "I'll keep it to remember you."

He fought that swelling in his throat, that tingling in his eyes. "Ha. You do that."

He reached into his pocket and took out his own ticket. Just a little piece of paper, but he knew it stood for so much more. It wasn't just a ticket onto a ship; it was a ticket onto the greatest adventure of his so-far sheltered life. He pondered the humor of it as he looked down for a moment. Then he straightened up once more and took hold of his horse's reins.

"Guess I'll see ya around," he said, a bit awkwardly.

"Can you write me a letter? You know where I'll be."

A small smile sprung to his face, and he nodded once. "I'll see what I can do."

"All right. I guess this is goodbye, then."

"I guess so." His sorrow and his excitement battled with his nervousness until he felt numb to the entire situation. He took one deep, final breath. "Take care of yourself."

"I will. You too."

"Thanks." He patted his horse's face and turned to go.

"I love you," she called after him.

He only half turned, but looked her in the eyes. "I love you, too." She smiled, and so did he. Then he turned and walked away.

In all the stories his tutor, Caius, had ever told him, the adventurer never looked back. He always walked off into the sunset, or entered the cave, or left the town, but not once did he look back. Jack never understood why. And just before he melded with the throng of people on the bustling Coronian docks, he turned his head to look back at his sister.

Oh, he thought. That's why.

And he wiped away the lone, sparkling tear that the wind-swept image of his sister had elicited from his soul and led his horse onwards.
    Last edited by Jack Stone; 02-11-07 at 10:55 PM.