PDA

View Full Version : The Osiris Open 2020: Registration Thread

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
04-14-2020, 07:10 AM
Welcome to the 2020 signups for Althanas's most famous unofficial tournament, the Osiris Open!

The rules

There will be an initial entry fee of 100 gp per member. The sum of the fees, plus 1000 gp from my own funds and GP rewards forfeited by each loser, will make up the prize fund to be split between first (70%), second (20%) and third (10%).

The initial total pot for the tournament will be declared as soon as we know how many entrants are participating. The total pot will rise with each round by the amount of GP forfeited by the loser (NB: this is the GP you would normally be awarded for your posts in a thread and NOT deducted from your current GP total)!

Entrants' abilities will be locked at the level they enter at, and only one character per user will be allowed (no alts)

There will be a minimum of four and a maximum of twelve contenders, with battles will be fought in knockout format.

The arena for each fight will be set by Shinsou Vaan Osiris, but the name / theme of the arena will be selected by players on a first come, first serve basis. Go for the name you think best suits you!

Unlike official tournaments, there will be no posting time limits.

Each round will last two weeks, with one week for judging.

Rewards

Threads will be judged in accordance with the Osiris Open rubric. Rewards will be issued in accordance with workshop rules for both contestants (i.e EXP and GP rewarded as if each person had scored 65).

The loser in each battle will have their GP reward instead go towards the final prize fund. This is made up for by the amount of EXP you gain as above, which in most cases will be much more than a loser would normally get.

The Story section of the rubric will be replaced by a special section dedicated to the battle itself; Combat. I will make sure that additional credit is given to particularly good plot in the wildcard section, though, so don't fear.

Combat will consist of three catagories:

- Strategy: How good were your tactics? How well did you utilise your grey matter to overcome your opponent?

- Resourcefulness: How well did you use your abilities and the components of your arena?

- Execution: Did your chosen approach work? Did you land and take hits? Points here for the ultimate culmination of your efforts, and bonus points for conceding or inflicting an in-character defeat with style.

Entrants

1. Gum do Mugu
2. Double D
3. Philomel
4. Storm Veritas
5. Aure Drakshal
6. Tyr
7. Ulrich
8. Ebi

Current pot

700 GP from Entrance fees
1000 GP from Shinsou
3000 GP donation from Nosdyn

Available Arenas: Round One

1. The Obsidian River (TAKEN BY PHILOMEL)
2. Ruins of Radasanth (TAKEN BY GUM)
3. Whitevale (TAKEN BY STORM VERITAS)
4. The Celestial Rings (TAKEN BY TYR)
5. The Boneyard (TAKEN BY DOUBLE D)
6. Mirror, Mirror ( TAKEN BY AURE)

Round One Bracket

Storm Veritas vs Aure Drakshal (Whitevale)
Philomel vs Gum do Mugu (Ruins of Radasanth)
Ulrich vs Double D (The Boneyard)
Ebi vs Tyr (The Celestial Rings)

Gum do Mugu
04-14-2020, 07:41 AM
my dude

sign me up

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
04-14-2020, 08:11 AM
my dude

sign me up

In.

Arena?

DarkDelights
04-14-2020, 09:48 AM
I'm in. Just toss me in the Boneyard. Literally or figuratively *shrugs*

Gum do Mugu
04-14-2020, 11:26 AM
i'll take the ruins of radasanth

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
04-14-2020, 12:08 PM
Done and done.

Nosdyn
04-14-2020, 02:29 PM
Guys I am unable to participate in the tourney itself HOWEVER you cats who need help paying the entry fee you let me know.

Im willing to spot people out my legendary money bags.

So if you guys need help registering let me know I'm pretty sure one of the lovely staffers can assist with any of these transactions but yeah I am more than willing to cover people who need help paying the fee. i got you guys.

PLUS as an added incentive out Nosdyn alone I have 3K+ gold. I am willing add 2K or more to the prize pool of my own deep pockets. I just wanna see the tournament succeed. Its my intention to pass the baton off to you newer folks. I'm around on the site obviously but I wanna help out on more of a sidelines level.

But yeah Chris if you need help to make that price pool more enticing to newcomers, I can donate.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
04-14-2020, 02:55 PM
Guys I am unable to participate in the tourney itself HOWEVER you cats who need help paying the entry fee you let me know.

Im willing to spot people out my legendary money bags.

So if you guys need help registering let me know I'm pretty sure one of the lovely staffers can assist with any of these transactions but yeah I am more than willing to cover people who need help paying the fee. i got you guys.

PLUS as an added incentive out Nosdyn alone I have 3K+ gold. I am willing add 2K or more to the prize pool of my own deep pockets. I just wanna see the tournament succeed. Its my intention to pass the baton off to you newer folks. I'm around on the site obviously but I wanna help out on more of a sidelines level.

But yeah Chris if you need help to make that price pool more enticing to newcomers, I can donate.

That's very kind of you, Pav. If you want to donate then i'll leave the final amount up to you but it's very much appreciated pal.

Nosdyn
04-14-2020, 03:02 PM
Yeah bro Chris I'll tell you what I am feeling saucy like a big wallet.

So you can go ahead and grab the whole 3K off me that will be pretty fair.

I know this is for a. good cause so I got all of you guys.

But yeah bro I can't contribute a physical character until the next big site event...I have to wait until I am able to order a new computer.

But yes Cha Ching my lovely behind for the fine tune of 3K my dude.

Philomel
04-14-2020, 05:35 PM
I'm in.

Surprise me with the arena.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
04-15-2020, 08:52 AM
I'm in.

Surprise me with the arena.

Fine by me. You get The Obsidian River.

Also, a quick note that I have now deducted my 1000 GP contribution to the pot.

Philomel
04-15-2020, 09:08 AM
I like water and I like obsidian :)

Nosdyn
04-15-2020, 09:08 AM
Chris don't forget to deduct my 3K for the pot too.

I just wanna help out as much as I can yo!

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
04-15-2020, 11:25 AM
I like water and I like obsidian :)

You might be disappointed with your arena then, as it's more likely to be a river of fire ;)

Chris don't forget to deduct my 3K for the pot too.

I just wanna help out as much as I can yo!

Done, thanks pal!

Nosdyn
04-15-2020, 11:32 AM
Bro just happy to help!

Ill to donate to prize pools for this stuff a lot more often going forward thanks for your assist here my man.

Storm Veritas
04-15-2020, 02:05 PM
I mean, Storm's already in Whitevale, and laziness is a core competency...

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
04-15-2020, 05:56 PM
I mean, Storm's already in Whitevale, and laziness is a core competency...

I'd expect no less. ;)

DarkDelights
04-15-2020, 06:41 PM
This is looking a little sparse. Can I withdraw from my room and just be someone's randomly determined opponent in the room of their choice?

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
04-16-2020, 02:49 AM
This is looking a little sparse. Can I withdraw from my room and just be someone's randomly determined opponent in the room of their choice?

Give it time, pal. Registrations can be a little slow at first but it'll pick up.

DarkDelights
04-16-2020, 05:37 AM
Okie, I'll wait!

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
04-18-2020, 06:50 AM
Ok. I'm going to close up registration on Monday. If it is as it is, it'll be a four person tourney but hopefully others will leap in beforehand.

I want to see some butts in here!

DarkDelights
04-18-2020, 07:20 AM
Ok. I'm going to close up registration on Monday. If it is as it is, it'll be a four person tourney but hopefully others will leap in beforehand.

I want to see some butts in here!

I can't wait to fight Storm in the first round. I dont suppose you have, say, a weakness to iron daggers? Perhaps a super top-secret ticklish spot that's actually your one weakness? Do rubber rainboots make you immune to lightning magic by any chance?

Tyr
04-18-2020, 07:05 PM
I'd love to participate in this this time around, but I need to make sure of some things on my side first before registration ends. I'd love to lock it in. I'd also like to shout out to my fellow lower levels and tell you not to be intimidated too much by the upper levels participating in this event.

Yes, they are definitely talented writers with powerful characters, but I've seen lower levels defeat upper levels in the past. There's always a chance! So, rise up and test your mettle and you never know. You may be surprised by the outcome. Give it a shot! After all, there's going to be one hell of a prize at the end of the bloody and bruised rainbow.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
04-19-2020, 08:56 AM
I'd love to participate in this this time around, but I need to make sure of some things on my side first before registration ends. I'd love to lock it in. I'd also like to shout out to my fellow lower levels and tell you not to be intimidated too much by the upper levels participating in this event.

Yes, they are definitely talented writers with powerful characters, but I've seen lower levels defeat upper levels in the past. There's always a chance! So, rise up and test your mettle and you never know. You may be surprised by the outcome. Give it a shot! After all, there's going to be one hell of a prize at the end of the bloody and bruised rainbow.

Let me know what you need and i'll extend registration to tuesday.

Aurelianus Drak'shal
04-19-2020, 09:25 AM
If you can extend it, cutter, it'd be appreciated. I'm in the same boat as Tyr.

Would love to shake the rust off and get my hands into some new people, but I'm locked down at someone else's place so need to see if I can get stuff in order first.

Also, to clarify, do we get to choose the actual setup of the arena we pick? For example, the Celestial Rings - do we get to run with the name and design the place from that?

Gum do Mugu
04-19-2020, 01:22 PM
would be nice to hold out for an 8 person bracket.

p.s. big thanks to pav for adding a fat wad to the pot. bigger prize definitely makes it more hype.

Tyr
04-19-2020, 07:30 PM
Extending the registration deadline would be great, Shin. Thanks for all of this.

Philomel
04-19-2020, 08:30 PM
Oh hello Mr! Welcome back!!!

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
04-20-2020, 02:44 AM
If you can extend it, cutter, it'd be appreciated. I'm in the same boat as Tyr.

Would love to shake the rust off and get my hands into some new people, but I'm locked down at someone else's place so need to see if I can get stuff in order first.

Also, to clarify, do we get to choose the actual setup of the arena we pick? For example, the Celestial Rings - do we get to run with the name and design the place from that?

Fantastic. I've transferred Aure's level 6 profile from Oldthanas and added your EXP, so consider yourself approved and added to the tourney roster!

All that's left to do is select an arena. Let me know what you want. The arena name has a hidden, pre-set description, so you are somewhat gambling on what you get with the name. But that's part of the fun!

Extending the registration deadline would be great, Shin. Thanks for all of this.

Hey. I've dealt with your re-incarnation, and you were agonisingly close to level 2 (96 EXP!) but you've not levelled up. You can consider yourself approved at level 1 and I've entered you in the tournament, so please pick an arena.

Everyone else: registration is open until I wake up tomorrow.

That's likely to be 8am colonialist pig time.

Aurelianus Drak'shal
04-20-2020, 08:35 AM
Fantastic. I've transferred Aure's level 6 profile from Oldthanas and added your EXP, so consider yourself approved and added to the tourney roster!

All that's left to do is select an arena. Let me know what you want. The arena name has a hidden, pre-set description, so you are somewhat gambling on what you get with the name. But that's part of the fun!

You're an absolute star, cutter. Thanks for that.

And in that case, put me down for Mirror, Mirror.

Tyr
04-20-2020, 10:29 AM
Thanks lots, Shin! Looks like I'm playing with the Rings!

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
04-20-2020, 11:22 AM
Thank you both!

All arenas have now been taken. If we get no more registrations by tomorrow, brackets will be decided and the arena per bracket will be decided by random coin toss.

Thank you to everyone for showing your interest. Let's make this a good one!!!

Ulrich Craggenmoor
04-21-2020, 01:42 PM
I'm in!

Time to get my feet wet.

EDIT: Im so rusty, I actually forgot to check for more pages. So if i've missed out, I wont be hurt.

Ebivoulya
04-21-2020, 03:04 PM
I have received sacrifices sufficient to tempt me out from the deep.

You can count me in on this.

Gum do Mugu
04-21-2020, 06:14 PM
hype

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
04-22-2020, 04:01 AM
Well holy fucking shit.

Ulrich and Ebi both scrape into places 7 and 8, and with that...

Registration is now closed.

Round 1 will begin at 8am GMT on Saturday 25th April! Your threads will be set up for you in the Citadel by then.

Please check the first post for your brackets. Those of you with paired against another member with an arena will have the arena decided at random.

Philomel
04-22-2020, 05:04 AM
Goodness, this looks exciting!!! Great line up!

Gum do Mugu
04-24-2020, 12:21 PM
how do you decide who posts first?

Storm Veritas
04-24-2020, 02:19 PM
how do you decide who posts first?

Historically, either first come, first serve, or via PM if you two know each other well and one has availability that day.

Philomel
04-25-2020, 05:44 AM
Eagerly awaiting!!

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
04-25-2020, 07:51 AM
Hey guys. Sorry for the delay in opening, I was supposed to be free this morning but ive had to look after my daughter. I'll definitely get the threads opened this afternoon.

Aurelianus Drak'shal
04-25-2020, 08:13 AM
No rush, cutter.

Look after the mini Shin, we'll keep.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
04-25-2020, 08:46 AM
No rush, cutter.

Look after the mini Shin, we'll keep.

Yours is ready to rock.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
04-25-2020, 09:05 AM
All threads are up! Good luck!

Ebivoulya
04-26-2020, 01:36 AM
The gods of battle smile today. Good luck to all.

Looking forward to some good reads at the end of the round.

Tyr
05-03-2020, 03:44 PM
Hey, Shin. I'm sad to say that I'll have to drop out of the tourney. It's come to where I need to head into the hospital here momentarily, for this shit I've caught and been dealing with has gone beyond my control. I've been seeing my doctor, and feeling better at times, but I keep getting kicked back to oblivion no matter how much I fight it. There's only so much she can do and the time has come to do what I seriously didn't want to do. I'll more than likely be admitted and be out for a week or more. I apologize to you and Ebivoulya for my exit, and I congratulate Ebivoulya for his advancement to the next round.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
05-14-2020, 11:21 AM
Round one closes on Saturday 16th May, by the way. ;)

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
05-22-2020, 04:54 AM
Ok guys. I've posted rewards for those who have won by default.

I'm aiming to have thread judgments up on Monday latest (i'm hoping tomorrow), for Storm vs Aure and Gum vs Phi. I can't usually Althy at the weekends but i've set aside some time to finish them off tomorrow.

Let me tell you all now; there is no easy winner in those rounds.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
06-05-2020, 09:09 AM
Due to inactivity on account of quite a few of the participants, and with little prospect of being able to determine a winner to fight either Storm or Aure, I've taken the decision to cancel the tournament with immediate effect. The pot will be split four ways between Gum, Philomel, Storm and Aure.

Sorry guys. I thought activity would be better than it was. We'll try this again as soon as things pick up a bit.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
06-05-2020, 09:12 AM
1,175 GP added to Gum, Philomel, Storm and Aure.

Philomel
06-05-2020, 09:20 PM
Thank you mate x