PDA

View Full Version : October/Halloween Vignette

Tyr
10-12-2021, 04:29 PM
Welcome to the October/Halloween Vignette!

Prompt

Darkness has encompassed Althanas, and the supernatural have awakened in force against the living under this strange event fueling their strength, will and existence furthermore. What will your character face within this Darkness?

Vignette Close Date

October 31st, 2021 at midnight EST

Bonus Added

Putting a 1.5x bonus on standard rewards for participation on this one!

Rules

1. One submission per character.

2. All entries have to be within the declared period. Editing your post and completely changing your submission is okay as long as all the edits occur before midnight EST on the closing day.

3. The moderator judging the monthly vignette contest may post a vignette at the end, but will not be eligible for first or second place.

4. Only on-topic vignettes are liable for rewards. The topics are broad enough that no character should be particularly limited.

5. PCs must be involved in all vignettes. How "canonical" you choose to have the events of the vignette is up to you.

6. All participants receive EXP. The top two finishers also receive GP. (Clarification: this excludes off-topic submissions, as per Rule 4).

7. Entries are assessed on the following merits:

Use of topic: Did the writer use the topic, or write something completely random and off topic?

Creativity: Did the writer make something unique out of the topic or was it more cliche?

Mechanics: Basic writing mechanics: spelling, grammar, punctuation, word usage, etc.

Notes: Additional comments.

Nosdyn
10-13-2021, 01:26 PM
(My entry haven't done these in a while/contains erotic footage. Note: Not the Althanas realm hahah kudos to fellow nerds who catch that joke.)

For the demon, what classified as dark events was different.

As darkness coated the land, it had a very different reaction on Nosdyn son of Tharak. Once the darkness, his old friend and lover, embraced him he awoke a few moments later. What he saw was truly terrifying. The demon's own darkness and rage from within was faced with a bright light he had to shield his eyes from. Though there was a bright light everywhere, the mysterious realm was a place that a certain other vanished Hero faced long ago.

The sky was pink, and the clouds had large smiles on them as if taunting the demon. As if to say: we got you bitch. Once he was done shielding his eyes and his eyes adjusted, he saw the colourful scene.

He looked around and even the damned trees had faces with their eternal taunting smile.

Nosdyn found the place disgusting. Before him was a humanoid figure who wore all white priest hood garb.

"Someone you are connected to has faced this realm before." She said calmly and teleported from her position sitting on a rock that smiled as well over to Nosdyn. "It is interesting that the dimensions are in such flux."

He looked at the overly bright woman. "What is this place?" He asked.

"Your worse nightmare come true." She explained. "With your heart of darkness this bright and colourful place has manifested to torment you." She said. The pink sky overhead was dangerously close to him.

"Do your worst." He says in exchange but notices his large and muscular body would not respond to his command.

"We...are going to love you to death with cuddly cuteness of devastation." She says calmly and walked towards him pushing him down to the floor.

At that point he found himself surrounded by a mob of...killer bunnies with white fur. Nosdyn screamed as he was forced to submit. For a demon, not being able to fight back was truly the worst form of darkness.

In that other realm a celestial oddity, nobody would come for Nosdyn and nobody....would hear him scream. From the torture he would endure a the hands of such cute and frightening beauty...

The End.

Tyr
11-02-2021, 06:53 PM
Vignette closed for commentary.

Thanks lots for participating!

Tyr
11-11-2021, 05:56 PM
October/Halloween Prompt: Darkness has encompassed Althanas, and the supernatural have awakened in force against the living under this strange event fueling their strength, will and existence furthermore. What will your character face within this darkness?

Nosdyn

Use of Topic- All in all I do enjoy seeing a prompt spun in such a way as you had, but in the realm of storytelling, it felt more like you were telling me throughout this piece and not actually showing me through text with the topic. It would have had more of an impact to the reader if it didn’t read as such. There certainly was a clear vision of where you wanted to go and punched it through without much finesse.

Creativity- In this entry, I feel more could have been injected into the setting to liven up the contrast of the event taking place, plus a bit more with touches into the characters to draw the reader into understanding more about not only him, but the supporting character as well. It’s important to build a relationship between reader and snapshot of life in this case. However, I did enjoy reading into what Darkness could be thought of comparably to the character involved in terms the way you went into the Light being the actual Darkness. With what actually was written, it took me back to a time where “The Mistress of the Dark, Elvira” was frightened by a white bunny and all. Lol

Mechanics- There were some mistakes sprinkled in here, but nothing I’m going to harp on in this. Punctuation errors, capitalization errors and silly misspellings happen, but a read through and edits within the time frame over the month can easily cure those type things. Certain words were being used repetitively within close proximity and stuttered some spots leaving the read shaky.

Congratulations to Nosdyn for the win, as his was the only entry!

Nosdyn with Halloween 1.5x bonus receives:

1200 EXP
300 GP
Vignette Badge for default win

Thank you so much for your participation!

Tyr
11-11-2021, 06:02 PM
Rewards Added

Congratulations to Nosdyn for reaching Level 8!