PDA

View Full Version : Black Wings

Nevin
11-06-2017, 05:30 PM
Nevin sighed as he was slowly shepherded out of another business. This place was, while not openly hostile to him, definitely not openly welcoming to strangers. Which, considering what he had been told about the city and its origins, he couldn't say he was exactly surprised about. Still, at least basic businesses would still sell to him - general goods stores hadn't thrown him out at least, so he could purchase staple goods to carry him over. That wasn't why he was here though - he wasn't here to set up a shop in this city, not yet - though looking at some of the people he could see that they needed more help than they were receiving, so maybe that wasn't too out there of a thought. No, he was here for an entirely different reason, and for him, a bit of an odd one - he was here on personal business.

The redhead was here looking for his first real friend, the Kenku Stare. She had told him that she lived here, in Beinost, with her asshole of a Master, but Nevin had lost the paper with her address - in reality it had gotten destroyed by a potion a child knocked over one day before Nevin thought to copy the information down. And after their encounter with the things living in the castle, and being captured by those damnable bounty hunters, he had gotten caught up and continually forgot about traveling to the Red Forest, Lindequalme. But, he had remembered, and remembered that she had wanted to accompany him there, likely because she thought he'd wind up dead if he went alone. Nevin had a bit more self-confidence these days and doubted he would die from exploring the place, but he would greatly relish the opportunity of spending some time with her.

So he was here, in her city, and trying to find her. His hope was, that the avian race was rare enough in these parts that asking about her would lead him to her. First though, he had to find a shopkeeper who wouldn't throw him out just for not being a native. He sighed, and walked into another alchemy shop - planning on using the fact that he could talk about their work together would give him an opening to help him find out where his friend was.

Stare
11-06-2017, 06:31 PM
It was Thursday afternoon, which meant the day for the Fine City Tailors - Vitruvion's gentlemen and ladies' outfitting centre; preparing the newest fashions with the grandest fabrics from the farthest places. For purely private customers only Fine City Tailors was arranged in communication with the god's own material shop, the Fabric Emporium, and also his rich merchant trade, so that any desire in terms of silks, cottons or chifons could easily be granted. Any colour, any style, so long as it was made, was offered to the customer, for they were the highest priority.

To buy an item of clothing from the Fine City Tailors one had to make an appointment with one of the five personal stylists, and you were given your own private fitting room. Champagne and exquisite treats were also a complimentary bonus during one's experience. The sitting room out front was merely a waiting space, where one can make appointments with the beautiful elf cleric at the desk and discuss more menial things with friends. The shop was simplex, elegant, well laid out, and had in the past four months become the most popular place to get one's clothing made for high society, in the whole of Beinost.

Due to no minor thanks to the kenku who sat in the back office, sighing at the manager.

"Lady Stare, I understand the chaos of needing to move, but we simply cannot go on like this anymore. We have far too many clients, and have to turn them down daily! Either we need to open longer, or move to larger premises and hire more staff, but I cannot disappoint anymore customers!"

Dressed in her neatest teal, vulcona-wool tunic, which was embroidered with thread dyed with colour made from semi-precious stones and sewn with various glass beads, Stare faced the dumpling of an elf. Markqui de la Rossi, a wood elf from the north, was a good man with an excellent brain for numbers. Fantastic with customers and able to build good rapport with them he had been one of the greatest successes Stare had made since taking over the superior management of Vitruvion's legal projects. However, through his high skill and her quality of work they had managed to make the Fine City Tailors far too popular now, to the extent that they were beginning to show signs of strain.

"Mr Markqui," she stressed, "I know the need as much as you do, I know what stress this establishment is under, but there is no better place currently than this. We are located directly on the high street, right across from the council chambers. Mages of Istien and generals of the army daily walk past. There is no better location, nothing on the market - and believe me I have looked. To move would be madness!"

"And my other suggestion - to open a secondary store?" the fat, but kindly man in a fine robe raised a brow, "Is that so mad also?"

"There is no other place that would satisfy!" Stare shook her head, completely at a loss. "Nowhere as fine, as great. To open another store in another less favourable place would be to tarnish the reputation of this one. Of course, if you want to extend hours - you have my permission, but all of the stores along this street are entirely booked and bought. We cannot move the entire store, and until we find a suitable location, we cannot open another!"

"What about rennovation, my lady?" he placed a hand on the desk between them, "Organise the space more efficiently, place in a sixth fitting room?"

"What, and have the entire store need to close down for a week or so to be able to fit the new one?" she almost laughed, raising her massive brow, all glossy with prestine feathers. "I thought you hated to disappoint your customers?"

Markqui groaned as she used his own words and rubbed at his face. "It is just becoming impossible, Lady Stare, honestly. I do not know what to do."

"Well, all I can offer is to have Mer try to find more locations," Stare said, speaking of her new apprentice, whom she and Vitruvion had rescued from Bounty Hunters. She raised a clawed hand, clean and neatly clipped. "It is the best we can do for now. You are just going to have to keep with the numbers and extend hours. If you want to do so, then come up with a viable plan and submit it to me next week?"

Nevin
11-06-2017, 09:48 PM
"You're looking for the bird brat, arent'cha?" Nevin paused in his steps. The alchemist had been politely asked to leave two more shops after his last attempt at entering an herbalist's shop. They wanted to deal with his business, and nothing more - a situation that was rapidly becoming infuriating. So he had decided to take a break, and was sitting outside at a food stall, chewing on some kind of meat sandwich. The man who had spoken was the storekeep - and he looked like a very rough and worn man, who had seen far more of life than his age should have let him. In other words, a normal man living in a difficult city. I raised an eyebrow at the man - I had mentioned that I was looking for someone a couple of times, but only gotten to ask one employee about Stare before the manager forced me out of the store. "Don't go looking at me with those suspicious eyes, man. Word travels fast when a stranger comes to town. We have to let each other in on when someone's a threat. But you, you're just looking for someone else. We get a few like you who come through, looking for people who've run away. Look, friend, let me tell you this now. You should stop looking for her."

Nevin stood up, his food dropping to the ground as he stared at the man. "I - yes, I am but why in the name of -" He could scarcely believe it. The first person who had spoken to him for more than a few moments about something that wasn't 'Hey, you want this?' and the bastard was telling him to give up his search? Something of his anger and disbelief must have shown on his face, because the food vendor held up his hands placatingly.

"Look, friend, I'm just trying to help you out. That bird, she's the servant of a dangerous man. I'm just trying to keep you from getting involved with him - you seem like a nice enough guy, but he's not someone you want to cross." Nevin took a step back, his eyes wide. The man knew of - that made sense. From what she had told him, Vitruvion was in control of a large portion of the city after all. Still, that wasn't going to deter him. If for no other reason, Nevin was already well and truly in deep with Stare, and thus with Vitruvion. He sighed and shook his head.

"Your concern is appreciated, but unfortunately I'm already known to that man." The vendor's skin went pale. "I'm a colleague of Stare's from Corone. I was told she was here, but the information was taken from me." The vendor cursed under his breath for a moment before thinking. Finally he sighed.

"It's Thursday. The Lady will be working at Rossi's today, at least for part of the day. You should be able to find her there, or if not, you'll get directions on where to find her properly. I'm....sorry, for what it's worth." The man's concern was touching, but unnecessary for Nevin. The Alchemist got directions to this 'Rossi's' store, and began making his way there.

---

"Hello, pardon me miss." The woman at the desk gave Nevin a full body check, looking the man up and down several times before shaking her head dismissively.

"I'm sorry, but Mr. de la Rossi isn't available to take new customers for a few days. In the mean time I'd suggest sticking with one or two colors, not going for a mash like you've got. The black and crimson work well on your frame and with your hair, stick with those. I'll take your name down and you'll have to come back when he has time to see you." Nevin blinked and looked down at his body, trying to figure out what she was talking about. His clothes were comfortable and suited him, he thought. Then he realized the mistake in communication, and shook his head.

"No no, that's not what I'm here for -"

"Really? That's a shame, it really looks like you need an update to your wardrobe. Then you've come to the wrong place sir, good day." The woman cut him off, and Nevin felt one eyebrow twitch angrily. Being dismissed like this was quite infuriating, he found.

"Madam. I am a friend of Stare's, and was told I might find her here. Now, can you help me, or am I going to have to raise a ruckus to get your management out here?" His tone was as frosty as the anger churning his blood. The receptionist looked up, her eyes wide, and she stared at him for a moment. As he started to open his mouth again, her eyes flicked down to the whip on his waist and she froze, before paling further than the vendor earlier had.

"Oh Thaynes. Uh - I'll go see if she's in right now sir, please wait here!" The woman scrambled up from her desk and into the shop, leaving Nevin standing there in the lobby, his shoulders rising and falling slowly as he forced his anger down. It wasn't her fault that... no, wait, it was entirely her fault that she treated him like that. Even if this place was absurdly busy..... bah. He stalked over to one of the chairs and sat down to wait.

Stare
11-07-2017, 02:44 PM
Markqui grumbled but finally nodded. "Fine. Next week. But please consider the transferrance."

Stare let the stress come to her eyes, but remained straight backed and professional. "Thank you, Mr de la Rossi," she began to say, "As long as-"

"Lady Stare!"

Both pudgy elf and sleek kenku turned. A small, brown-haired face appeared in the doorway, which belonged to the receptionist of the store. She paused and gave an apologetic smile before announcing:

"My lady, there is a ... Man in the front, asking after you. He says he knows you?"

Stare caught Markqui's glance over to her, and she herself shook her head. "I have not arranged for anyone to come here," she blinked as she looked back to the receptionist. "Julie, did the man say what he wanted?"

"Nothing in particular, my lady. He says he knows you. I can ask him to come back later?"

With a pause, Stare shook her head. "No we are done here I think. Yes?"

Mr de la Rossi was caught for a moment, but then he shrugged, in a casual manner, unsuitable for the occasion. His lips pursed and he began to stand, "So long as you consider my proposal."

"I have given you the reasons for and against," Stare simply replied, also getting to her feet. "As I said write up your idea for longer hours and I or Mer will be over next week to discuss it."

"Hmm," the elf grunted and he began to walk.

Stare bit back several lines of retort as he led her out from behind the offices and into the reception. Directly in front of her she did not see who waited for her, even as Julie sat down. Tight beaked and determined, she kept up all appearances of being professional, simply expecting this visitor to be a business client of some sort. Yes, it was odd they new her schedule, but then it was not secret knowledge. Some small questions would lead them to the Fine City Tailors on a Thursday afternoon where Beinost's only kenku and steward of Sir Elssmith would be found.

"Very well," Markqui turned around as they got to the desk, "I agree to your terms."

And then he moved to the side. And Stare saw her visitor. Red hair, crimson tunic, rough look, very out of sorts for the glory that was the council District for Beinost. Her beak parted as, for a moment, she was entirely stunned. It took her three honest seconds to actually compute that after all this time Nevin was in her city.

"Ahem? My lady?"

A proferred hand before her. Stare had to tear her eyes away from the seemingly cautious friend seated awkwardly on one of the grand armchairs. Quickly she slipped her hand into Markqui's and shook briefly, though careful not to harm him with her claws.

"Yes, of course Mr Markqui. To next week."

"Next week," the fat elf said, glancing to Nevin, but he said nothing more. Instead he turned away and headed back inside.

Leaving Stare with Julie and Nevin. The receptionist was watching with upraised brows, curious as to this visitor.

Damn fucking decorum, Stare cursed, trying to keep herself calm.

Gently and properly she strode over before inclining a head at Nevin. "Mr Nevin," she said formally, dressed in all her finery, "What a pleasure to see you again, sir. Shall we get tea at Borkins?"

She let the sparkle of happiness come to her eye though and waited for his reply. Eager to be out of this place now and to say a proper hello to her dear friend.

Nevin
11-08-2017, 10:01 AM
The people coming and going from this shop were definitely of a different level of quality from the ones he'd been going into before. Or at least, they were dressed in an entirely different manner. The stores he'd been visiting before had been working places, where the employees and customers wore clothes that could take a beating and keep going. His own clothes were similar to that, rough and tough, just of higher quality materials, discounting his chest piece - which currently was stored in his bag. No need to wear that in town - even if it was the only ornately designed article of clothing he had. Perhaps he should have worn it?

The customers and staff here though, and the people on the street, were richly dressed, clad in ornate finery and formal attire. Even the receptionist's clothing looked better cut than his, and he could understand why she had thought he was here for a new outfit. Perhaps he would have to dip into his savings and get a more formal set of clothes?

The receptionist had informed him from a distance, that 'Lady Stare' was on her way here, and that he just needed to wait. So Nevin kept on his seat, awkwardly shifting as he felt time pass. He felt more than saw someone come I and stare at him, so he turned to look - only to see an Elf giving him a disdainful once over, obviously dismissing him as unimportant. It ranked, and Nevin decided then that he would have to get a set of formal attire if he ever intended on coming back here.

Then the man stepped to one side and turned around, sticking his hand out towards the person behind him. And Nevin was treated to the sight of Stare staring at him, her beak slightly agape. He had to stifle a warm chuckle, and quench the warmth in his stomach, at the fact that she didn't even seem to realize at first that the Elf was trying to shake her hand, until he cleared his throat and said her name.

A hand shake, and a promise to return later, and the man, Markqui, headed back into the shop proper leaving Nevin with Stare and the receptionist. The Alchemist stood up and bowed as Stare walked over to him and greeted him politely - this was, he thought, the first time he'd been called 'Sir' by the Kenku, but he got the feeling she might be trying to make the receptionist realize he was more than he seemed. However, he had an advantage that his friend didn't here - he could be impolite as they already had a less than favorable view of him here. Still, he'd maintain some level of formality to keep from dragging her down.

So instead of what he wanted to do, he instead bored to the receptionist. "You have my gratitude for conveying my presence. Now then, let us depart." The man stepped to the door and held it open for Stare, the corners of his eyes crinkling as he kept his amusement stifled. His friend watched him for a moment with a tilt of her head before stepping outside, inclining her head to him as she moved past him.

On the street, Nevin was able to bail a small buggy - suppressing irritation that the cab driver was more smartly dressed than he was - and helped Stare inside. She politely informed the driver of their destination, and they were off. Even now she was polite and formal, and the two kept to pleasant small talk that was empty words for the time being.

Stare
12-06-2017, 03:38 PM
To Borkins please," she said, as she climbed into the carriage. Then she moved to sit opposite Nevin, her posture awkward but still baring the decorum of the afternoon's duties. With her hands clasped on her lap she looked at him for a short while before breathing in slow and straightening her back.

"It is pleasant to see you again," she spoke quietly. "Welcome to Beinost. Your journey was good?"

“It was decent enough. The ship was a bit cramped though, a freight ship that I managed to snag accommodation upon. They were the only ones coming this way in anything like an acceptable time frame.”

Stare blinked a couple of times and then inclined her beak. “The freight trading vessels are the most regular. We are a harbour city after all.” Taking a pause she felt the urge to go and grab this human by the arms and drag him into a hug. But how he had come back into her life, how he was here and catching her in these clothes, in this part of the city … Stare hardly knew how to react in a way that was not proper.

“I uh … I am glad your journey was pleasant. The weather here has been disastrous.” And now she was talking to him about the frigging weather. “You are well?”

She looked utterly confused, Nevin thought. At a loss for words, which he found adorable. It seems that his arrival here had completely thrown her off of her balance, and it didn't help that she had to remain prim and proper. He grinned widely as she stared down at her hands for a moment.

“The weather was abysmal on the sea. I realize now why I detested the idea of going to Radasanth in the first place - I do not do well on ships. Had to dose myself to the brim. I'm recovering from that actually. So, dear, you work as manager for a couple shops it seems? Are they all as…. Posh as that one?” He leaned forward and rested his elbows on his knees, propping his chin upon his clasped hands. This brought the fact that he wasn't wearing gloves into clear view.

In that moment Stare was utterly thankful that she was a kenku. For feathers covered up the chagrin that she felt rising to her face as her cheeks went hot. Suddenly he was closer and she was caught off guard with his questions of what she did.

“What? I'm general manager for all of the stores of Sir Elssmith. The Fine City Tailors, the Bakery and the Fabric Emporium. As well as a couple of others, including the house itself.” She paused, trying to keep up appearances. One never knew who they passed by, who might see the kenku of Beinost from outside. “I'm his steward, that is my official title here. In the city. I …” she paused and looked out as they rounded a corner. Raising a hand she pointed to a vast long building appearing in the distance with a single tall chimney. “That's the bakery. We have had good profits this year.”

It took her a moment to respond, a second of hesitation that made Nevin tilt his head to one side and grin. He wasn't used to his friend being hesitant about something - even when they had been prisoners, her actions had been sure and swift. He unfolded his index fingers and tapped them against his lips as his eyes followed her gesture.

“Profits tend to be useful. I've managed to squirrel away a tidy sum for myself - Oh. I don't remember if I told you, but I did get a second shop opened up. I travel between Stonevale and Radasanth now, and Ezra is usually the one selling in Stonevale. Sometime soon I'll hopefully have her learning enough to make simple potions. So. A tailor, a bakery, I know of the brewery. You're a woman of many talents, on top of your personal ones.” A talented and vicious fighter, with unique magical abilities. He was extremely thankful that he had decided top open up to her that night when she saw…. Well, what she saw.

She shrugged a little. “I had to learn the skills for my official position here. I know the bakery business well anyway, so all I had to do was transfer those skills to a wider base. Each store has its own manager, I just govern the over-”

The carriage suddenly jolted to a halt. Caught off guard Stare stopped mid word. Looking out she saw the elegant front of a proud tea house with the notice of “Borkins” plastered in bold lettering. A verandah stood on the street front with small table and chair sets also taking up room.

“Ah,” Stare nodded and opened the door.

With a glance back to Nevin she gestured for him to follow her. She waited for him to get out, passing an undisclosed amount up to the driver. Once the human had joined her she continued wordlessly inside, going into a very fine tea house decorated in light flowery wallpaper. Taking a sharp right she led Nevin over to a small booth, with its own door.

It was only there that she paused, then sat.

And visibly relaxed.

“Right,” she said. “Now we can talk easier.”

Nevin closed the door firmly behind him after he had stepped inside. He could see the way she relaxed, the stiffness to her posture melting away as his friend sank down onto the cushion. He let her breathe for a few moments before moving over to stand beside the table. He leaned his hip against it as he chuckled and shook his head.

“Quite the reversal of your role, isn't it? Out there you're whatever you want to be, or what he needs you to be, but here, here you have to wear those clothes and don that mask of propriety. Come here then.” Nevin straightened up and stepped back slightly, and opened his arms in an invitation. It was a drastic change from how he used to be he thought - and not one that he had had much chance to inform her of last time they met. Truth be told he had been jealous when Hyperion hugged Stare, not that he would very admit it to anyone. But now, he was far more comfortable with contact.

Nevin
12-06-2017, 03:51 PM
Surprise flittered across the kenku's eyes but she saw the closed door. A memory of her own from the last time they met came across her mind, of Vitruvion telling her to get over her aversion to physical contact. Yes, she had hugged Nevin before, but that had been her initiating it, not him. So she paused a moment, took in a breath and stood, joining in his awkward embrace.

“I'm still Stare, either way,” she said with a sigh. “But seven months of living this double life makes you used to how you have to act in every situation.” She squeezed him tightly, briefly, then let go and stepped back. When she did there was utter joy in her eyes. “Okay let us order first, then you can actually tell me why you are here.”

“I'll trust your judgment on food. The last thing I tried to eat was some kind of food wrap from a vendor in a street stall. Not the best thing I have had, barring my own attempts at cooking.” He had squeezed her back when she had held on, but now he was folding his long limbs up and sitting down at the table. His body was a bit too gangly to fit properly here, but he wasn't some absurd height that would make it impossible to sit down. He watched as she popped her head out the door to order, her voice shifting back to its polite modulation, then she came back and stood nearby as they waited.

Now that they were sitting down, he pulled off his coat and folded it up, then set it on the floor near his seat. He shifted a bit, uncomfortable, as this revealed the fact that the crimson tunic was all he had on his chest under the coat - gone was the usual long sleeved shirt he would have worn before. One hand came up and rubbed his arm as he gave her a crooked smile.

“I couldn't keep hiding them forever. And you and a few others accepted me despite them - how could I keep being ashamed of them when you didn't hate them?”

“Why would anyone hate them?” she asked, rather confused. “I mean, alright you get the racists - trust me, I know that,” she gestured at her face in general, “But you're still human. You just have … scars. Tattoos. Whatever you want to call them.” She paused, and sat back. “I understand not liking your own appearance. Believe it or not I used to permanently wear a hooded cloak myself, but I'm glad you've adopted them. They are your history and your future.”

Raising a hand she scratched the underside of her beak, the claws making a raking sound, a manner of showing she was thinking. “But yes. My question is, what on earth are you doing in my - our - city?”

“Well. I'm quite glad you don't wear that all covering cloak these days. And as for hating them..” Two threads emerged from his arm and waved at her before sliding back down inside of his skin. “Some people see more than they want to, and realize that the threads move beneath my skin. It does bother some, but I've decided not to let it aggravate me. My friends accept them and that's all I concern myself with.”

Stare
12-06-2017, 04:05 PM
He had to admit, the sound of her claws on her beak was an odd one. It also made him curious - was that a learned gesture, one she was imitating from someone else who scratched their chin while they thought? Or did her beak actually have nerve endings and she could feel itches and the scratching? From what he knew, it was mostly likely an affectation, as bird beaks in natural animals - and in Aphrael - were not sensitive aside from pressure. He blinked and sat back as he tried to figure out how to answer her question. It seemed like she had forgotten their discussion about it back in the prison cells.

“Well. I’ve come to Raeria to investigate Lindequalme. Something about the place is calling to me. And I figured, since I was in the region, I might as well swing by and visit my closest friend.” Here he smiled at her. “This way, if I disappear, you know what happened at least. I'd hate for you to be in the dark if I somehow met my end.” He winced after speaking, realizing too late that that probably sounded rather grim and unpleasant.

“Meet your …?” her brow rose. “Okay, that is not going to happen. I remember you talking about the forest but didn't know that you wanted to do it so soon. It is a very dangerous place.” Folding her arms she ran her eyes up and down him. A spark flared in her mind as she realised he had called her his 'closest friend’. Surprise came into her eyes, but then a firm hand of her own. She was not his best friend in the world, that was silly. One of his closest he had meant to say, or really had said. Obviously. She couldn't let herself get away with too much hope, want and passion. In life she had other things to do than get overwhelmed with the messy politics of best friends.

“At least stay a day or so here. And I can … well at least provide more information. We've got the library at the house for instance.” Maybe she could even go with him. Make sure he did not die. Yes, she thought of him as one of her closest friends herself, a recent acquaintance outside of the closed world of Beinost and Vitruvion's service. But she would not mention that yet - rather she would talk to Vitruvion himself, when she had a chance. “I'm pretty sure we have a treatise on survival in Lindequalme, at least one.”

Hm. Her eyes had lit up for a moment there, before her hand tightened on her arm for a moment. Nevin for a second wished he could read minds - he was curious as to what had run through her thoughts there. As it was, he just rubbed the back of his head sheepishly, sliding his eyes away from her piercing gaze. She was definitely upset with him for his quite poor word choice, and he couldn't really blame her. If she had come up to him suddenly and said she was going somewhere he knew was dangerous, and casually mentioned she was just letting him know in case she died… He winced again.

“Sorry, sorry. I just thought that, of all the people I wanted to let know about my wanderings somewhere, you were top of the list. I don't have many people I care about, and you were there first.” Hopefully the apology would soothe that glare. That, and agreeing with her. He had been informed, rather forcefully, that when he was in the wrong about something, agreeing with the woman would at least mitigate some of her righteous anger.

Nevin
12-06-2017, 04:08 PM
"And I'll certainly stay a day or two. I’ve got to find a place to spend the night though - know of any half way decent inns?” If she knew an inn, then she'd know where he was too when she came looking for him. Yes, that was a safe, good plan.

“An inn?” She blinked. “If you're staying for a day, you are are staying in the house.” The sentence was blunt and precise. In her opinion there was no suggestion otherwise. “There are good places to stay in the city, but no, you might as well get the joys of a noble’s household. One of the few perks of my life.”

Stare opened her mouth to say more but a polite knock came on the door. She answered, and a dainty elf maiden popped her head in baring a tray, which was heavily laden with small cakes, sandwiches and tea. Smiling she pushed it onto the table and asked:

“Is this to go on the account, lady Stare?”

Stare nodded quickly, going back to her polite tones. “Yes Cecily, thank you.”

And the elf maid bowed slightly before moving out. When that was done Stare looked back at Nevin. “As to coming to visit, I'm glad you did. Because …” she paused, thinking how best to put it. “Well. Help yourself to food first, then I'll explain what we've got.”

Nevin raised an eyebrow as he poured himself and her cups of tea, then took a sandwich. It was a delicate little thing, obviously a dainty finger food - and he consumed it in less than two bites. A brief flash of irritation danced across his face before being followed by amusement, and he took another to pop into his mouth. He chewed this one a bit more slowly before sipping his tea, then set the cup down with a soft clink.

“I am quite grateful of the offer of lodging for a night. He won't mind?” The alchemist knew her master wasn't exactly his biggest fan, and he didn't want to make things worse for her. He was quite curious though - what exactly did she have that she was glad to have him here for? It wasn't an alchemical situation, as she would have come to him in that case. He folded his hands together as he waited for her to explain it - guessing would get him absolutely no where, as he had no clue to even start from.

For Stare it was clear that ‘he’ meant Vitruvion. Her brow rose slightly as she observed her friend, a small piece of bruschetta and grilled tomato poised in her fingers. It was a fine serving, one she could easily eat with one bite and a famed version of such a food in Beinost.

“In all practical honesty we work sometimes with a demon who stays at the house occasionally. He will not mind, though it is his house you are my friend,” she placed the bread delicacy into her beak and gulped it down. “Besides,” she said in a lower voice, “He is otherwise entertained.” A dark sudden look in her eye made it clear that she spoke of the Hollow. “He said he would not be back until tomorrow afternoon.”

Stare
12-06-2017, 04:15 PM
‘Entertained’ was it? Nevin felt his lip curl in disgust for a moment before he suppressed it. He had already made his feelings on that place quite clear - and Stare clearly agreed with it. If that meant Nevin wouldn't have to deal with Vitruvion any time soon… He honestly wasn't sure if he felt good or bad about that thought. He let out a sigh and shook his head before focusing on the other part of what she had said.

They worked with a demon occasionally? That was rather interesting. He hadn't spent too much time studying that book on demon magic that they had acquired before - maybe he should devote more attention to that. As it was though, he sipped more of his tea before smiling.

“Well, I hope that I'm better company than a demon. I shall happily take you up on the offer then, if it won't be putting you in an untenable situation.”

Stare wanted to reply, ‘Honestly, I have done worse,’ but she simply inclined her head. She took up her cup of tea, and took a small sip, tilting the ceramic against the very tip of her long, thick beak.

“Though I have a low opinion of demons in general Nosdyn is a little different, his relationship with us is complicated. Vitruvion likes him less than he likes you, so that is saying something.” But then, she considered, Nosdyn had been her first proper friend made outside the closely knit circle of the god’s kingdom. That, coupled with the fact that he was a demon and thus possibly one day offering a sizeable challenge to Vitruvion made the god less eager to adapt to him. Nevin was opposite, however. Vitruvion was utterly curious when it came to the blood mage.

“But you are welcome to stay. Though things are what they are I do actually have some say in my life.” She paused and set down her tea cup. “As to the other matter … in no few words, we now have a captive mage of the same demonic church and Bounty Hunter Guild who captured us. I told you a little about them at the castle, if you remember, but not about the mage. At that time I did not know if he would ever wake up so be of use but … well,” she was almost whispering now. “It might be useful to you too?”

Nevin had thought that Vitruvion’s opinion of him was about as low as it could go, so to hear that he liked someone else even less was actually rather astonishing. It also made him wonder what kind of person this demon was - did Vitruvion object to him Nev's use of his race, or was it because of his actions or words? Hmm. Perhaps he needed to meet this demon, find out if he could work with the other to put a thorn in Vitruvion's side. He watched his friend take a drink before continuing.

Nevin
12-06-2017, 04:18 PM
The redhead’s eyes went wide and the pupils shrank to tiny dots, the dark red irises swallowing up the black dots as surprise washed over him. He tried to take a drink of tea to buy himself a moment to think, not realizing that his grip had tightened so much the whites of his knuckles were showing through his skin, making the red lines that ran across him stand out in even sharper relief. Nevin had thought that all of the bastards had been been killed. That there was another one of the demonic mages alive…

“Avis, I will gladly help you with those damnable Hunters and the Sabaziosians Any information this one might have about the corruption in my Church is incidental to me at this point - those bastards are the ones responsible for your torment, and I will gladly help you punish them for that. If you have any way I can help, please don't hesitate to tell me.”

Stare blinked a couple of times at the terminology of ‘my Church’ but said nothing. Only a little bit of logic was required to understand that Nevin spoke about the Crimson Church and the cult his background was embroiled in. In a way she herself was part of a secretive, private religious group that though they did not worship had a genuine god at their centre.

“Vitruvion has punished him greatly already,” she spoke soft and quiet, remembering those first hours of hearing the screams, “When we first captured him and later … then he fell into unconsciousness for weeks.” She looked a little uncomfortable. “That side has sort of been taken care of, but we still have not managed to get much information from him, despite … despite how powerful Vitruvion is. But you might have more luck, he might even be able to give you more information for your own purposes.”

Looking right up at him she fixed Nevin the most trustworthy gaze she could summon. “Maybe you might have a way of breaking through to him. There are a couple of issues, but I can work them out. One being where we are having to hold him.” Wincing slightly she stared at him. “The one place you probably do not want to see in this city.”

The one place in the city he did not want to see. It was easy enough to figure out where she meant - the place where she had been tortured, raped, and bound to Vitruvion’s will. But it was also where she had grown strong enough to - not to break free, but to become useful enough to be released from that hell. The Hollow. Nevin took a deep breath, and let it out slowly.

He only wanted to go there to see the place burning. But at this point, his personal desires mattered very little. Stare had asked him for his help, Nevin would give it however he could. He calmly picked up his tea cup and drained it before eating one of the little cakes, then he brushed off his fingers of the crumbs. Finally he met her gaze, and nodded.

“That shall not be an issue. You're asking me, so I shall go down there. I also have an idea of how to get this fellow to share what he knows. And Sir Ellsmith’s protections should be enough to prevent a repeat of what happened last time we questioned one of these men. If not, well. Disposal of bodies from that place probably happen fairly regularly.” He clasped his hands together and set them on the table, meeting her eyes intently.

Stare
12-06-2017, 04:43 PM
“The best solution will be a tonic I can make. Not just a straight truth brew, that might be resisted. I'll need to either purchase the ingredients myself, or you can have an agent acquire them. He's going to think I'm on his side anyway, since I'm not one of his men, so I'll be making use of that. Which would work better, meeting you somewhere or me giving you a list?” It would be slightly risky to give her the list - if he had cared about that at all. No, her knowing the ingredients to the concoction wouldn't be dangerous to him - in fact, it might be useful for her to know he could make something like this. This probably wasn't the first person they’d had trouble questioning after all.

Utterly surprised at his calm acceptance of the situation Stare sat there for a moment, still and wordless. His eyes seemed to betray an anger of what she expected, but else his body language remained as ordinary and sedated. She imagined he was desperately keeping control.

As he spoke of the tonic her heart calmed a little in its manic fluttering. “You think a tonic would be enough?” She asked.

His gift for alchemy was certainly useful. It also meant that he might not need his magic after all, which had been the second of her issues. With the Hollow there was a mighty enchantment, that stopped anyone of the Althanas planet in origin to be unable to do magic. Because she herself was tied to Vitruvion, and her race was originally of Ansaldo's planet, Stare had a rare ability to use magic within it - indeed, it had been one of the first reasons Vitruvion had taken an interest in her, beyond sex. Nevin, however, was of Althanas, and that meant the rules applied to him. Ensuring that he would have been able to use them within would have proved a tricky compromise with Vitruvion - not impossible, but difficult.

“And you are probably better at getting your own plants, right? I'll probably get them wrong. I can give you the names of a couple of very good apothecaries in the city, and the money for them too,” she started to move her hands to her tunic, where a hidden pocket revealed a very heavy coin purse. “I can come with you or leave you to your own, I mean I do have things to do …” she left it open.

Nevin drummed his fingers on the tabletop as he thought, one hand still curled up. “The tonic will be mildly by imbued with magic when I make it, but in truth the major components of it are natural. And unless the mage has a specific resistance against the plant that is the primary part, it will affect him. I'll also be combining it with a mild hallucinogenic, something to make him woozy and unstable. The result being, he'll think of me as someone on his side, an ally, and so won't pay attention enough to stop himself from answering my questions. The magic put in would just be to enhance the efficacy.”

Nevin
12-06-2017, 04:50 PM
He watched as she pulled the coin purse out, and counted out several of the coins before pushing them over to him. For a moment he stared at the gleaming gold before chuckling and shaking his head, pushing a pair back over to her. “Unless the herbal shops in this city charge outrageous fees, this should be enough for me to get what we will need. Now. While I would love your company on this trip, if you have other things you need to accomplish today, I would be a terrible friend to keep you from doing so.” He stood up, slowly unfolding himself from the bench and stretching out his arms and shoulders.

“Though, if I go alone, I'll need to know where to meet you later. Else I'll be quite lost in this city.” This was said with a quiet chuckle as he raised an eyebrow at her.

“I only ‘have’ to go and see the Offices, which is something I was planning to do, but it does not particularly have a time in my weekly schedule. It is entirely up to you. If you think I would get in the way and are better at negotiating by yourself, then that is fine. My presence could be either a benefit or a hindrance, depending on if the apothecaries you go to actually like SIr Elssmith or not.” She paused. “He is a good employer, so those with family in his businesses like him. Others who are employed by his rivals do not. There are other issues, such as internal politics, but then that is business for you,” she rolled her eyes. And grunted, looking around at the half uneaten meal.

“Ansaldo’s cupcakes, I will come with you,” she eagerly stood, grabbing two sandwiches and stuffing them in her beak. After that was down she took a moment to shake down her feathers and preen some on her arm that she thought looked unsightly. With a briefly angled head and a tug of her beak on the offending plumage she ordered herself. Finally, she looked back up to Nevin and nodded. “Back to being proper.”

Nevin watched her small ritual with a glimmer of amusement dancing in his eyes. When she had finished her tidying up, it took him a great deal of willpower to resist the urge to reach out and tweak her feathers. He settled for biting his lip to stifle his laugh and picked up his coat and pack, slinging them on and adjusting them so they sat properly on his shoulders and back. That done, he popped one of the sandwiches into his own mouth and shot her a grin before settling his face into a blankly polite expression. Now ready, he opened the door and held it for her.

“As for who is beholden to who in this city, I shall rely upon your judgment my friend. I'm like a newborn child in this place - though thankfully I did not come here in my birthday suit. I think most would have an issue with that.” He coughed to hide his smile as they walked out to the streets, bowing to the ladies of the tea house as they left. It was probably not the first time those women had seen Stare making a business lunch here, and he doubted it would be the last. He cleared his throat and turned to look at her.

Stare
12-06-2017, 04:56 PM
“Now. What we need primarily are seaside herbs, though we will also need to visit a place that had herbs from hills or mountains. I know at least one of the first exist in this city, but I'm not sure of the latter.” Inwardly, Nevin was glad that she had decided to accompany him on this little jaunt. He enjoyed her company - even if he did see many frequent looks at the two of them, most of them judging him. Probably because she was dressed in fineries, and he in more working-class attire. Ah well.

Happy that he was willing to let her come, Stare smiled even with the tiny corners of her beak, where it connected with her face in a solid line of dark grey flesh. After grumpily taking the coins back, she walked with her friend, one half of her wanting to offer him an elbow or something to escort - but he was the male here, and it would cause an undue amount of rumours were she seen to be with someone in a pose like that. Instead she ducked outside of the verandah front of the tea house, giving her goodbyes to the waitress. Then, she waved a hand to hail one of the taxi-buggies that was bumbling its way down the road.

“I know of Roots and Foraging, which belongs to a Myles Jerkins. He has suppliers that apparently spread all across the western half of Raieara. I have gone there a few times with the cook from the house, Mrs Deerling, who says he is the best for herbs in the city, both for healing and cooking. Where have you heard of?”

A buggy swerved in close to them and she told them where to head first.

After helping her in an sitting across from her, Nevin listened and tilted his head to one side. That sounded like their best bet for the hills or mountainous herbs. He coughed slightly and scratched the side of his cheek before answering her question.

“It was actually while I was trying to find someone to tell me where you were. I found a store that called itself the Salt-Crusted Flower. They seemed to know what they were doing in terms of herbs, though they kept giving me strange looks whenever I tried to talk about something other than shopping there.” He frowned as he looked out the street. That was something that had bothered him greatly as he went along - most of the people here seemed quite wary of him.

Still. He had accomplished what he came here to do - he had found Stare, despite the unintended opposition from the city folks. So now it was just a matter of helping her get what she needed to know from the warlock, and then he could head on to the Red Forest.

“Oh don’t worry, when I first came here I was basically a thing to be feared. I worked in a small bakery, and constantly had my hood drawn up. It is only because of the social status that I hold now that people do not throw manure at me. They are naturally wary because of the history and culture,” she lowered her voice and murmured, “It is Raiaera, and so most are elves. I have met far more xenophobic elves than I have genuinely welcoming ones. It took years for Vitruvion to be regarded well. It was only really when Raevin began properly working for him that ...” She tailed off, remembering the story she had been told about Raevin systematically working out the secret of Vitruvion’s godhood.

Nevin
12-06-2017, 06:07 PM
Her eyes glanced outside, watching the people they passed. They were entering one of the quieter areas of the city now, still part of the main residential area, but slower in pace than the governing district and the high streets. She absent-mindedly ran a claw through her feathers at the point where her arm went from plumage to scales and breathed in, nodding.

“I do not know the Salt-Crusted Flower well, but I have heard of it. Hopefully it will serve your purpose.” She paused and looked back to him. “Either way it is good to see you again, Nevin.”

“And it is good to see you, Stare. I'll have to make this journey more often. Though I'll have to find a way to deal with my seasickness.” He chuckled and shook his head before looking out the window to follow her gaze. It was hard to believe that people had been ostracizing her at one point - but then, he had to remember that many people feared things they didn't know, things that were different. And you didn't get much different from a human or an Elf than a bird woman. He let out a deep breath and sat back on the bench, focusing his gaze on her.

Quite a lot had happened since the last time the two had had an opportunity to sit and talk - strangely enough, the first time they met. Each time since then they had been rather busy with something else coming up to prevent them from being able to talk without distractions. She had told him, in that twisted castle, about going on the hunt that he had run into her and Vitruvion during. It had given him another piece to the puzzle that was her Master - his brother had a church, or was now closely connected with the deity of a church.

For a moment, a brief second, he thought about just laying his suspicion about that man out to Stare. She had to know, but the question was, would she answer him? He didn't think so - he didn't think she could answer him. If Vitruvion didn't want him knowing, then preventing Stare from talking about it would be the easiest way to deny that.

As he was staring out the window lost in thought, the carriage pulled up to Roots and Foraging. The alchemist shook his head to disperse the somber thoughts, and climbed out before turning around to offer a hand to help his friend out of the carriage.

She angled her body with practised movements as she descended after Nevin, thanking him with a quick smile but ignoring the hand. The thought of going with Nevin to the Red Forest came back to her as she saw the painted fresco of the wood above the door to Roots and Foraging. It was something she would need permission to do, but she did not see it being a difficult one to compromise on. Also she would technically need permission to bring Nevin into the Hollow, but she still did not search to make contact with the being-secretly-a-god at the back of her mind. Knowing where he was and likely what he was doing made her very reluctant to establish that communication until the last moment.

Stare
12-06-2017, 07:51 PM
Pushing open the door a light bell rang out. A cheery human greeted them from behind the counter and Stare nodded to her. Stepping aside the kenku let Nevin go forwards and discuss his wares, as she wandered deeper into the shop, eyes wandering over the hanging greenery. Succulent smells of rosemary and mint came to her nose and suddenly she felt hungry. But she remained silent and let the transactions take place.

Nevin slipped up to the counter, having glanced over the shelves and not seen what he was looking for. The man at the counter tilted his head and smiled pleasantly at the customer, his eyes only briefly flicking to Stare for a moment. Nevin caught the way they widened at the sight of her - so the clerk recognized his friend. Well. He'd keep quiet on that unless he had to start to raise a scene to get what they needed from here. He cleared his throat to draw the clerk’s gaze back to him before speaking.

“I'm in need of a couple of raw material herbs, and I heard you're the best to come to for inland plants.” Another flicker of the eyes. “I'm in need of two plants. I need caapi, and chacrona.” the clerk looked to Nevin, confusion on his face.

“Uh. I think we have those, sir, but I'll have to talk with the journeyman in charge first. A moment.” He slipped into the back, out of sight, and Nevin raised an eyebrow. So the clerk didn't know what they were, or even if they had the plants in stock. Annoying, but not entirely unexpected. A few seconds passed before what had to be the burliest Elf Nevin had ever seen came out from the back - and that was even comparing him to the ones that Nevin had known who worked at the smithy in Stonevale. The Elf looked Nevin up and down slowly, his eyes never once leaving the redhead.

“You know what those do together?” His voice was a low rumble, bland and steady as he stared at Nevin’s eyes. The Alchemist nodded slowly. “Hm. Fine, good enough. Demetrius.” A squeak from the back. “Bring up a few ounces of each of the two plants I pointed to. Now, you. I won't ask what you need this for, but I'd rather not hear about it from the constabulary. I'd hate to have to tell them who I saw you in the company of.” His voice was soft as he spoke, the words barely reaching Nevin’s ears. Nevin quirked an eyebrow as the clerk brought out two small bags stuffed with greenery and roots, and he paid for the plants without a word. A bow, and Nevin headed back to Stare.

“I have what we need from here. Shall we?” He inclined his head to the door.

With that Stare nodded, having heard the conversation and having expected nothing less. She gave the shop-worker a cautionary glance, warning her not to let it become a rumour. But then maybe Vitruvion already had that sort of reputation, to do things that were outside the law. Certainly he often walked a fine line, but there were various reasons why the government turned a blind eye to him. One was the taxes he paid, the other was his use. His private prison, the Hellhole, for instance, could make prior disappear well.

Nevin
12-06-2017, 07:56 PM
She started with Nevin down the street, in the direction of where she knew the Salt-Crusted Flower was. She gestured and spoke, and kept walking.

“So,” she said eventually, “The ingredients are … taboo?”

“Not taboo per se, but difficult. Without the other, they are largely useless aside from fancy salads. However, when blended together, they act as a mild hallucinogenic that puts the ingester into a suggestive state. Not strictly illegal, but usually frowned upon. If we had the time, I would have gone to a couple of different stores to obtain them instead of purchasing them together. Or, preferably, I would have gone to acquire them myself. Still, these look to be in good enough condition to suit our needs.” He shrugged one shoulder as he tucked the pouches into a coat pocket.

“The last thing we need is a plant that contains the ingredient that can act as a truth serum. Again, on its own not taboo, but combined with the other two herbs, it is usually strictly regulated. In fact, the combination of the three is usually kept out of public knowledge, as together, and combined with some torture techniques, you can easily have someone spilling their life story to you.” His tone was quiet as they walked along, his voice pitched so his words were for her ears alone. To prevent anyone from overhearing them he was walking a little closer than he normally would, and vent over a bit more.

“The first combination is sometimes used in vision quests for some people, as it let's the leader of the quest guide the listener and the o the intended destination.” Nevin straightened up with a shrug as they soon arrived the Salt-Crusted Flower.

Stare nodded and gestured. “You go in and I will wait.” Certainly she did not want to get any deeper than it sounded like he was. With the mention that the next herb was dangerous she decided she would be better not dragging Sir Vitruvion Elssmith’s name that far through the muck.

He shot her a slight smile before slipping inside, into the shop. Almost immediately he knew that this place would have what he needed. This store wasn't a bright and well lit place like the other Alchemy shop had been - this one had a decent veneer on the front but the interior was dark and dingy. It was definitely more in line with the store he usually ran in Radasanth than his Stonevale operation.

“I need some alatin berries.” The man at the counter raised his eyebrow at the abrupt demand, then folded his arms across his chest. Nevin saw that the shop keeper was about to raise a fuss about it and spoke quickly to prevent that.

“I'm an alchemist myself. I don't care either to raise any troubles, but I found a man who knows about a major problem that I've become embroiled in. I'll pay gold for the berries, and we both know they aren't normally worth it.” The offer of gold sold the herbalist. With a grunt, and a glance at the coins in Nevin’s hand, he went into the back of his store before returning with a bag containing grayish green berries. He snatched the gold from Nevin and tossed the bag at him, and the redhead left the store quickly before he could ask for more money - or worse his name.

Stare
12-07-2017, 04:45 AM
“I have what we need. Now I just need a pan, a heat source, and water.” Nevin spoke quietly. He didn't think she would judge him for knowing this formula, but at the same time it wasn't exactly a reputable thing to know. And this would be the first time Stare learned he knew of more - more unsavoury potions and tonics.

She began walking with him, taking his elbow gently and briefly to begin their gain of distance away from the streets. For two blocks she said nothing, until they were in a quieter place, distant from retailers and now amongst residential housing.

“You have two options,” she spoke quietly. “Either the mansion or we head straight to where we were going anyway. There are kitchens in it, as well as a sort of mess for the guards. I do not usually go there dressed as I am but it is not unknown.” In all honesty how she was clothed was the least of her worries right now. “I guess we …”

Grumbling to herself she gave up putting the time off and shoved at the borders of her mind. It took time but a grunting voice replied, lined with annoyance.

What? I am busy.

I gathered you would be, she hastily replied, But I need something. I need … and she explained the entire situation as fast as she could, to an unimpressed, sarky noble. Everything from Nevin arriving in the city, to him making a tonic that could get them the information. Vitruvion listened with surprisingly few interruptions, one being a forced image of the rich red curtains of his bed, in his room at the Hollow, which she immediately dismissed. Please, she sighed. This might actually be a chance of what you yourself want.

He was quiet for a while. Contemplative as the anger swept away. Minorly.

Fine. But I am not permitting any use of his magic whilst he is down here, Stare. The liability is on you alone.

Thank you, she said quickly, and then withdrew. He of course might still have been there, but as he could linger without her needing to feel his presence, it was no concern of hers. Instead she looked right at Nevin.

“Sorry about that. Basically, I have permission to take you there.”

“That makes sense, as it is his domain.” Nevin frowned and rubbed the back of his head as he thought. Creating the tonic would work at the house or down there. Normally he would have said to just work at the house and then go down there, but considering she had just gone through the effort to garner permission for him to go down there… He sighed, he wouldn't force her to go down there in her formal attire.

“I can brew it easily enough down there. But if you want to stop by the house to change, I can make it there while you do so. I think the less time I spend down there, the happier he will be. And the less in need of some kind of outlet I will be. Going on an experimentation binge would be a bad idea, I think.” He smiled, trying to show that his last words were just a joke.

“So then, my lady. Let us travel to your humble abode, shall we?”

Nevin
12-07-2017, 10:40 AM
The idea of going there rather than straight to the Hollow made her smile and nod, relief spreading through her body. “We can actually walk there from here,” she said, gesturing down a long winding road that was lined with a tall, long hedge on one side. Behind it the apexes of grand roofs could be seen that were architecturally promising.

Starting off she showed herself visibly more relaxed, as she began through the familiar neighbourhood. It took only a short amount of time for them to come by the first elegant gate set into the hedgerow. A huge, ornate structure stood in view - a house of nearly thirty rooms and three floors that bore a terracotta roof and cream walls. Stare continued talking as they passed by it, hardly glancing at the wonder.

“So how have you been since we last met? The castle was quite different to here, this is … well the other side of my life that no one ever sees. That is all I have been doing since that horror, and trust me it is a shock to compare them.”

Nevin frowned rubbed the palm of one hand as he thought about her question. He swallowed and shrugged weakly, trying to figure out just where his friend lived that a structure like that didn't rate a second glance.
“I did some exploring in the reaches of Corone. Heard rumors about a mage who was skilled in Alchemy. He was, past tense. He meddled with something he really should not have, and twisted reality around his tower. Not the same way as the Castle - this was more of a twisting of the fabric of reality, than twisting space and time. This is… The first time I've had a chance to relax since before the Castle.” He glanced down at his hand and his frown deepened.

“I also learned that my body isn't quite normal anymore. And that there is more to my threads than I knew. Aside from that… Hm. Oh. I got proclaimed a messiah. That was weird.” He laughed a loud and shook his head, trying not to stare at the ornate structures that they were passing.

Stare looked at him in utter surprise. “You are a messiah?” If she was not one who commonly was in company with a half-god at least - Vitruvion’s half sister, Ventrua - then Stare might have jumped out of her plumage. Being who she was she only stared, and thought about the implications. “Is that what you meant by ‘your church’? So the ceremony turned you … what, into some form of second coming?”

Slipping into her aura sight she examined him for a moment. Checking his chakras she was astounded to see a new line threading through the deep crimson. Where there had once been a simple red, there was now a thin but still existent white thread weaving its way through. Her heart thudded as she looked closer, examining it to find a faint pink tinge to it, but else the line was a weave of actual divine-kind magic.

Stare
12-07-2017, 11:08 AM
“Ansaldo’s balls,” she whispered, “Nevin, you have … near divine magic flowing through you. You are growing in power.” Caution came into then, her eyes regarding him up and down. Knowing that he might not be listening, but just in case, she slipped Vitruvion the image of the swirling chakras from Nevin and left it at that.

She received no answer.

That made Nevin stop and stare at his friend, his eyes wide in disbelief. He looked down at his hands, then back at her, his jaw hanging open. The man tried to speak once, then again, but each time they came out a wordless croak that conveyed nothing other than sheer shock.

Someone else might have disbelieved Stare when she said that. If someone else had told Nevin that, he would have laughed in their face. He had thought his threads and his magic were at best eldritch, from outside of this world - never would he have thought they were divine. He had thought that the name the Crimson Church gave him was just a title that they were calling him by in order to feel more legitimate about themselves.

But. Nevin already knew that Stare’s eyes could see more than the real world, and could pierce into hidden secrets. That was how they had become friends after all, when she had seen the mess that was his soul. The alchemist swallowed, his throat suddenly painfully dry. He almost wanted it not to be true - wait. There was one question, a way out.

“I… Uh. Are you sure? It's not like you've…. Seen a lot of divine magic, right?”

Her brow rose and she looked directly at him, staring straight at him. Her look was so direct, so penetrating that if Nevin had not known her he might be fearful. Slowly one of her hands ground into a fist and she straightened, immediately switching into the mode of the old lie that had kept Vitruvion from breaking his promise to the Althanas pantheon.

“I have seen plenty, Nevin,” she spoke carefully. “I have told you before that Vitruvion is a powerful mage. I also hinted at it once, but the truth is he is a partial celestial being. A form of angel, which is not as uncommon as you might think. Aasimars, half angels, appear in many tales, many armies. I have worked with them a few times.” And with her heart pounding against her chest she turned roughly away, the sort-of half-truth but also pain of lying burning at her throat.

Marching away she came to a set of ornate black iron gates. Beyond them was a grand two floor house with a stone driveway and huge bay windows. The roof was terracotta like many others around the area and the walls a pale yellow. A sprawling orchard and vineyard fell away to one side of the lawn, where one man could be seen slowly pruning. Setting her hand on the latch of the gates Stare pushed her way through into the Elssmith manor estate, leaving her friend to make of what he would with her words. Her clawed feet scraped across the stone work as she made her way direct to the huge double doors.

Nevin
12-07-2017, 11:20 AM
Nevin followed her with his eyes, quietly watching as she hurried away. That….. Wasn't quite right was it now? He had not mentioned anyone in particular, but she had brought Vitruvion up. Not only that but then she had tried to cover up with that information about half angels - but despite working with some, she hadn't mentioned any names. And then she almost fled from him, hands curled into fists.

Had she lied to him? But about what? And why? Having seen divine magic would not be something unusual - priests must use it right unless what she was referring to wasn't holy magic, but was actually straight up part of being a divine being. His lips twisted downwards as he slowly followed after her, turning her words over in his head. His friend was trying to hide something - that was the only reason she would have moved away like that, no longer meeting his eyes after staring at him.

He nearly stumbled. The only person she had mentioned by name was Vitruvion. Nevin already knew the man was a powerful individual, so it wouldn't have been that that she was trying to make him not think about. But why would she lie about either his being part celestial, or about having worked with different half angels? She had already told him the two worked with a demon from time to time so seeing the other side was not unbelievable. He sighed - one more piece of the puzzle about Stare and Vitruvion.

Nevin closed the gates behind him without a word, and followed Stare to the door. She clearly didn't want to talk about this anymore -and he was not about to try forcing her to talk to him. Not about this, not now. He slipped his hands into his pocket and quietly waited behind her to be let in.

Before she could properly get to the door herself it was opened by a small, bespectacled elf with brown scraggly hair and a little smile on his lips.

“Lady Stare,” he said gently, “Welcome home. You have a guest?” He looked over with large eyes to Nevin.

Stare curtly nodded, trying to shake off her anxiety of needing to lie to Nevin. The same lie that the staff had been told, that the city ran with the rumour of. “Yes, this is Nevin, a friend from Corone. Nevin,” she gestured at the elf. “This is Druss.”

“The proud butler sir,” Druss dropped into a bow. “Honoured to have you visit our humble part of Raiaera. How long are you staying with us?”

Stare answered for him. “For a night at least. If you could get Agathe or Kira to make up the first guest room?”

Druss nodded and smiled and gestured for them to come in. They moved past the entrance doors into a vast, marble hall. Four pillars held up a plastered ceiling, and a set of stairs to the back led to an elegant balcony of an upper floor. Various doors leading to clear, huge rooms went off from almost every wall, and it was clear this was the realm of some rich noble. Especially as a single portrait of a short-haired Vitruvion was above a long fireplace. A man in a military suit, with a real owl on his shoulder, staring into the room with dominance and pride.

Stare
12-07-2017, 11:30 AM
Nevin slowly looked around the place as he walked inside. The place had a grandeur to it, he certainly couldn't deny that. A sweeping staircase up to a second floor, large pillars holding up a decorated ceiling. This place was clearly somewhere he never would have come on his own - not without becoming a renowned alchemist, and even then it would have just been as a retainer to some noble or another.

He paused as he saw the portrait of Vitruvion, watching over the room with an owl perched on his shoulder. One red eyebrow raised up slowly. Had the man truly been in the military? It wouldn't surprise him - it was a good place to make a name for yourself, and if you were effective they tended to overlook some minor character flaws. And Nevin had no doubt that whatever failings Vitruvion had, no matter how he felt about his friend’s ‘Master’ - the man was certainly effective when he put his mind to it.

The owl did make him think about where Aphrael was. Making sure that he didn't fall too far behind Stare as she led him through the ornate hallway, he tried to reach out to where his partner was. Unsurprisingly, she had fallen asleep, lulled to dreams by the rocking of the boat she was perching on. A quick mental prod had her wake up enough to show that the boat wasn't leaving port, and in fact was currently completely empty, before he retreated to his own mind and left her alone. He cleared his throat.

“So. Is there a small kitchen I can use to prepare? And do we want to do that today, or tomorrow?” He hoped whatever had set Avis off wasn't going to make her ignore him now, if he didn't try to bring the previous conversation back up.

“If we get it done today, might better?” Stare suggested, turning back around to him. When she met his eyes her heart began to thump tirelessly again. Uncertainty came into her heart, and a reminder that she needed to get better at lying.

With a sigh she consciously ground herself, and looked to Druss, who was closing the door behind them. “Druss, can you please show Mr Nevin the kitchens? If she causes a fuss tell her that this is on the master’s advice not just mine.”

The butler paused a moment, then nodded, smiling awkwardly as he gestured towards the back of the room, past the grand pillars. Stare took in a breath, and spoke to Nevin, “I will be with you in a moment, I just want to change.”

Without wasting another moment she turned to ascend the staircase, taking the grandeur with ease and passing by the gorgeous wooden carving of wrapped ivy in it as if they were nothing more than dust.

Nevin
12-07-2017, 11:55 AM
“This way, if you please sir.” Druss seemed a bit hesitant as he started walking in the direction that he had indicated. As the two passed by the grand columns and entered the back of the house - the mansion really despite what Stare called it - Nevin noticed that the style changed. While the servant’s areas were still obviously of fine, high quality design and make, they were done in simpler styles, quiet refinement showcased here instead of the vaulted ceilings and ostentatious portraits.

While Nevin still felt fairly out of place in this extravagant mansion, he was clearly more at ease here in the quiet, simple halls. He saw the butler raise an eyebrow at him, obviously wondering who this “friend from Corone” was, but he was too well trained to bluntly ask. He fit the elegant, refined side of Stare that Nevin had come to know here Beinost.

It didn't take long for the two men to reach the kitchens, and Druss opened it and cleared his throat loudly, the sound cutting through the quiet clamor of the kitchen with ease. Many people in the kitchen turned to stare at the door, before a rather plump, pleasant looking woman - who Nevin noted was about Stare’s height - came bustling up to them, looking them both up and down before speaking over her shoulder.

“Back to work you lot. Well Mr. Druss, who’s this you've brought us today? New cook’s apprentice? He looks like he’d be handy in the kitchen, if for nothing else than getting things off high shelves.” Nevin blanched a bit before shaking his head rapidly.

“Ah, Mrs. Deerling, yes?” Druss and Deerling’s eyes opened wide. “I am a friend of Stare’s, she told me your name. Unfortunately madam I am no chef, or cook - if I attempt to make cuisine, it ends quite horribly for anyone involved. I am an Alchemist madam, and I have been tasked with making a tonic to help Sir Elssmith out with one of his projects. I need to borrow the usage of a pan and a wooden spoon, and a stove top from this fine kitchen.” Mrs. Deerling looked him up and down suspiciously, clearly not wanting to give up precious space in her kitchen. She broke when Druss spoke up.

“Lady Stare did say it was on the orders of Sir Elssmith as well as her own.” With a frustrated sigh the cook threw her hands up.

“Very well very well. I can't be getting in the way of the Lord’s commands. Timin, go fetch a pan and a spoon, and show this gentleman the way to stove seven. Hop to it lad.” A young boy of maybe twelve summers squeaked and put down the potato he was peeling, and hurried to gather up the items before waving energetically to Nevin. The redhead bowed to Druss and Deerling, then followed after the child to set up.

Stare
12-07-2017, 01:49 PM
Up in her room Stare sighed and looked around at the heavy grey and blue hangings. She took in a long breath before starting over to her small cabinet. Dragging off her fine tunic as she went she ended up just in her under-trousers. For a while she stood there, staring at herself in the long looking glass she had recently installed. Half naked, but socially acceptable for her feathers. Small breasts somewhere beneath that plumage. And there, in her aura sight the white hot pounding of divine magical energy flowing through her constantly. Strong, undying, strange.

“Fuck my life,” she whispered before coming out of the aura and stalking over to her cabinet. Pulling out an ordinary black wool tunic she pulled that on and then wove a dark blue scarf around her neck. Going over to a nearby chair she took up her various weapons, but left the armour, automatically slipping the glove over her left hand that made her claws longer and stronger.

She had lied to Nevin and perhaps he had noticed. But she had needed to. It wasn't her law, not even Vitruvion's - it had been made by the collective pantheon of Althanas. Guilt burning at her soul she started down the stairs, going from her grand room to the servant's level. Breathing slowly she opened the door that led to the kitchens and the dining room off it and came to find Nevin, standing with a pot and spoon. After a moment's pause she smiled.

“You found everything then?”

Nevin looked up as the door opened and Stare walked in - dressed far more simply than she had been before. At this point he honestly couldn't say which looked better on her - when she hadn't been stiffly formal, the fineries had suited her well, but in simple clothes she looked far more relaxed than she ever had been. The consideration was tucked into the back of his mind for later pondering - for now, he was working, and that took precedence for him. He coughed and shot a look to Mrs. Deerling, who was standing with her arms folded beneath her rather generous bosom, watching him.

“Yes, everything I need for this has been enough provided. It's actually a rather simple concoction, if one can obtain the necessary ingredients, and has a way of supplying magic to it.” With that, he straightened his back, rising up to his full height as he got to work. His lips creased into a flat line as his brow furrowed, his dark gaze focusing intently on the pan as he dropped the alatin berries into it, and began mashing them with the spoon as he turned on a low heat under the pot.

The Alchemist mashed the berries until there was a pulpy mass simmering at the bottom of the pan, then he pulled out the pouches of leaves and began tearing the plants apart above the pan, letting the shredded pieces and the juices drop into the pan. Once one pouch was emptied he stopped tearing and instead worked on stewing the solution, bringing it back up to a rolling simmer. A critical eye stared at the mixture.

Nevin
12-07-2017, 01:51 PM
“Hm. No. Needs more chacrona.” He separated out the plant he needed from the second pouch and added it to the concoction, judging it as he stirred.

“Looks like you're just making a vegetable stew.” Nevin paused and raised an eyebrow at Timin. He hadn't realized that the boy was still hanging around.

“At its base, Alchemy is similar to cooking yes. However many of the ingredients used in Alchemy are not safe to eat - this mixture would kill a little sprog like you so don't go trying to sneak some.” Teaching and warning the boy, Nevin waved the clean end of the spoon in his face for a moment before returning to the solution. It was just about ready, yes.

Nevin set the spoon down across the top of the pan, and pulled his dagger from his belt. “You'd also never do this in cooking.” He cut a thin line in his hand, and dribbled blood into the mixture. Quickly, he clenched his fist to hide the threads that wriggled from his skin to bind the wound. To draw attention from that, to keep them from seeing, he grabbed the spoon with his other hand and began stirring - bring in a portion up to show that it was strangely smoothing and, and turning into a faintly glowing green-purple liquid.

“Alchemy and Magic tend to go hand in hand.”

“Timmin,” Mrs Deerling came around the corner that led to the rest of the kitchen, and saw that her potboy was watching. She spoke disapprovingly and began to walk over.

Meanwhile Stare was doing nothing more than watching Nevin herself. Druss seemed to have vanished, likely heading back upstairs. She looked up at the cook, and shook her head. Slowly the buxom-bosomed woman came to a stop and then stayed to make a third member of the audience, Nevin's constant stirring apparently enchanting. Silence fell for a minute or two until Stare stretched. Steam was suddenly steaming from the primary stoves, around the corner.

“Timmin, you should listen to Mrs Deerling,” she said softly. The youngling took a moment before smiling sheepishly and taking a scuttle back. He and Mrs Deerling disappeared back.

Stare looked at Nevin. “Almost done?”

Nevin frowned into the pan, giving it one last stir, and straightened up before nodding. “Yes. The herbs have completely dissolved. When placed into water, this will become undetectable. Can you reach into my pack there and grab a glass jar?” It took her a moment of rummaging before she found one, pulling it out and handing it to him. The alchemist took it with a grateful nod, then slowly began scooping the faintly glowing mixture into the jar.

It took only a few moments to get it all in, his hands working smoothly and surely. The jar was half full by the time the vial emptied, and Nevin made sure to take the pan to the sink and wipe it clean with a steel scrubber. Satisfied that no remnants of his tonic remained, he returned to where Stare was and picked up the jar, hefting it in his hands.

“All done here, and ready to go. Shall we be off?”

Stare
12-07-2017, 02:11 PM
She nodded, looking a lot more comfortable now. Gesturing to the back of the kitchen she led Nevin to a small door, that led into a small store room, and from that outside. Bright daylight came to their eyes as well as the smell of hay to their noses.

“We've got mounts,” she gestured as she walked at a building just to the side, where a horse's head could be seen poking over the edge of a half door. “You can ride, right?”

As she came to the stables a loud ‘cawk’ came. A smile brightened in Stare's eyes as she began to run, heading over to a half-door that was mostly closed. Throwing it open she revealed the presence of a bright and merry chocobo head.

“Hi,” she said quietly and rubbed the bird's beak. Her eyes turned and looked at Nevin as he approached. “This is Sen.”

Nevin felt a spike of curiosity that rapidly grew into delight. For a moment he was confused, until he realized that the emotions weren't his own, but Aphrael’s. He shifted on his feet as he tried to suppress the grin that tried to break out in response to his familiar’s emotions, and instead raised an eyebrow as the bird-mount turned to look at him with a curious eye.

Creeeaar! Sen squawked at him joyfully, craning her neck towards him. Nevin tentatively reached up and stroked the bird’s neck, his eyes wide.

“I…. Knew how to ride, once. Horses don't like me these days, so I haven't had a chance in a long few years. And I haven't seen a chocobo in that time. I…” He swallowed, roughly forcing down the lump in his throat as the bird preened itself on his scratching fingers. “She's beautiful.” At that point, Aphrael reached them, her crimson-stained wings flaring out wide as she landed heavily on Nevin’s shoulder, trilling a happy greeting to Stare and Sen. At the sound of the flute pipes, horses started to poke their heads out over their stall doors to see what was going on.

Stare let out a soft laugh, her eyes glancing to Aphrael briefly. She gave the crow a formal bow of her head. “I got used to riding one out in the flock lands, where my people came from. When I found a breeder over the mountains it was little difficulty getting some over. Sen is mine, but that's Rai is in the back,” she stepped to the side to nod at a dark red chocobo at the back, feeding.

Rai glanced up and fixed them with a single proud eye. Stare found herself smiling and took up the reins attached around Sen's head and opened the door. The fine black beast revealed his dark glory, all six foot tall of it. Leading him over to a stand she nodded to Nevin.

“You can use Rai if you want.”

Meanwhile she grabbed a saddle and began lashing it to Sen's back, who stood perfectly still and patient.

Nevin
12-07-2017, 02:25 PM
The dark red chocobo stared at Nevin, and Nevin stared back, neither of the two flinching away from their staring contest. The redhead slowly stalked over towards the red bird, his pace measured and slow. The chocobo tilted its head with a curious prek, and kept its eyes on his as he approached it. When he was standing close by, the animal slowly stretched its head out and sniffed at Nevin’s hair, slowly circling Nevin’s head as it did so.

Aphrael let out a short trill of piping notes as she flew off of Nevin’s shoulder, out of the way of the curious chocobo. She perched on Sen’s stall door, huffing and resettling her wings as she watched her human get examined by the large red bird. Suddenly Rai snagged some of Nevin’s hair in his beak and tugged at it, making Nevin yelp and Aphrael let out loud, flute notes of amusement.

“You ruddy bird - yes my hair is real!” Rai snorted, the exhalation washing across Nevin’s neck and shoulder before he pulled his head back. The bird stared down at the man for a moment longer before snorting again and letting out a slight squawk, which made his familiar trill in response.

“Thank you for the translation, Aphrael. Yes. And thank you, Rai.” Another set of piping flute notes from the black and red crow, and Nevin moved to get the reins and saddle for Rai.

Stare’s eyes glowed with joy as she twisted Sen around, the chocobo snorted through his thin nostrils and let out a raw, crraarrkk.

“You ready?” she asked, “I ride fast, I do warn you.”

But her question was really to the air, to no one. For she had no sooner talked than she spun her gracious bird around. Digging her hind claws softly into Sen's flanks she sent him squawking - then picking up his feet and darting direct for the gate. Fast they ran, and it so happened that she had left the gate slightly ajar before. Now, happier than she had been when they came into the house she charged, the wind gloriously rushing through her and Sen’s feathers.

Nevin swung himself up onto Rai’s back, and the bird scree’d loudly before taking off, his feet pelting the earth beneath them as the two sprinted after Stare and Sen. The dark red bird ducked himself down, and began running in a straight line, bolting after the other two. Nevin meanwhile, was clinging on for dear life, his threads wrapping around the reins and the saddle to further anchor himself in place. Apparently Rai did not approve of being left behind.

Through the streets they ran, faint laughter reaching back to Nevin’s ears as they went. Black on black streaked through the streets, followed shortly by a bolt of crimson upon crimson. They came to a shuddering halt outside of a guard house, and Stare turned to wait for Nevin to catch up. When he did, Rai’s sides heaving only slightly as the red chocobo snorted and clawed the ground, Nevin’s threads retracted into his skin and his hands released their death grip on the reins.

Stare
12-07-2017, 03:37 PM
“I, uh, need you to wear this.” She tossed a black bandana over to him, and Nevin caught it with a quizzical look. “Can't have you see the route.” With a frown, and a nod of realization, Nevin bound the cloth around his head, shutting out the light to his eyes. His legs clamped down hard as he retook the reins.

“Right. Can't see. Please don't guide me off a cliff. I'd hate to hear Rai go like that.” With the dark joke, he waited for her to guide them onwards.

She sighed uncomfortably but leant back and took Rai’s leadrope. Gently she began to lead the chocobo, and Nevin on it down the street a little, walking now. She went a fist distance, weaving a snaking path to disorientate Nevin and then doubled back. Going down the side of the guard house she led the two bird mounts to the stable.

She patted Sen and Rai farewell before helping Nevin with as little contact as possible off the chocobo.

“Thank you,” she murmured as she took his hand and led him into the back door. Then from there through quiet rooms and down strange stairs. Around corners and down further. Eventually she stopped, paused and then took off the bandana as they began to hear loud, boisterous voices.

“Don't … just don't freak out when we get there. You'll feel really strange but trust me. It will come back.”

And with no explanation she went on. Down to a set of stairs before them where a fire was glowing. Going first she led him into a broad hall, filled with tables, benches and around twenty men all armed and armoured.

Silence fell when the two of them got there. She paused and nodded to them. “Just passing through,” she said, and grabbed Nevin's hand.

Leading him straight to the other side of the room, past utter quiet and incredulous eyes - but no questions. The men - just a portion of the guards of the Hollow - raised brows but most looked away after a while. She took Nevin to where iron door stood, bolted. Easily she unlocked it and stepped through, taking them into a long white tunnel that descended downwards.

The mouth of the Hollow.

Nevin frowned as they walked through the doorway and down the hall, along the white corridor. The men that they had passed had all given him strange looks - judging him, then Stare, then him again. It was an awkward time, as Nevin wasn’t sure what to make of the looks that they were giving him. But they finally turned their eyes away, paying the odd duo no more heed after her words.This place was….calmer than he had expected as they walked down the tunnel.

Nevin
12-07-2017, 05:34 PM
They came to another door, and Nevin paused as the guard here opened it for them. He turned and raised an eyebrow to Stare. “I’ll need some water to give him. Maybe some bread as well. Put him at ease. Is that possible?” He followed after her as they continued down the tunnel passing a set of doors along the way. This place was cleaner than he had expected - from what occurred here, he had expected a dank, disgusting, seedy place. But then, he should have expected this was actually what it was like - Vitruvion was not one for filth, he was far too proper. A clean and orderly dungeon was actually far more likely from him - and the Hollow seemed to match that well.

Stare kept her eyes focused forwards. She had let go of Nevin's hand as soon as they passed the first guard and door, and led him past the first lot of rooms - Vitruvion's rooms. When Nevin asked about water and bread she just nodded, gesturing to a door when they got to the entrance to the guards’ rooms.

The kenku was just reaching for the door when it suddenly opened, wide. There was a stunned silence as the pair of them came face to face with the tall, messy haired face and body of Raevin, captain of the guard for Vitruvion and the Hollow.

The elf blinked, then chuckled lightly as he stepped aside.

“Pleasure to meet you again, alchemist,” he said, gesturing them in.

Rolling her eyes Stare pushed past her colleague and went into a small hallway. From there she went into an open doorway, where low voices could be heard. A room of good smells and relaxed guards.

“Sir Raevin.” He bowed his head to the guard captain, and followed Phi inside of the chamber. This room actually smelled appetizing, and if the knowledge of just where they were wasn’t sitting in the back of his head like a large thorn stabbing his thoughts, the redhead might have relaxed a bit and taken the time to look around. As it was though, he pulled the jar with the tonic out and held it tight in one hand. He did notice that the faint glow to the serum had faded a bit - it seemed externalized magic was cut off here. Was that why Stare had warned him he would feel weird in this place? No matter, most of the time he didn’t bother with magic - his was not usually a combatively focused branch.

“A cup of water and some bread?” Stare gestured to one of the guards, who grunted and retrieved what he asked for. Nevin set the cup down and took the lid off of the jar, then slowly poured the purple-green mixture into the water. Strangely, despite the volume of the tonic and the water, the water level in the cup rose only a little bit - nowhere near as much as it should have considering how much was poured into it. Nevin waited a moment, watching as the last traces of color faded out of sight, before nodding. “This is ready then. He won’t be able to notice a thing.” He turned his gaze to Stare again, picking up the bread and the water.

Stare
12-07-2017, 05:53 PM
The guards there looked from Stare to Nevin briefly, but then went back to their meals. It seemed, though they did not recognise Nevin, that Stare’s very presence was enough to assist. She nodded at the alchemist before moving past him.

“This way,” she said calmly, though there was a defiant line of anxiety through her voice. Keeping herself collected and poised, however, was a practise of hers, through months of careful negotiation and public appearances at Vitruvion’s side. Nevin saw her true self, Vitruvion also, but right now she was playing the part of the steady-hearted aide.

Back into the hall she led the alchemist, and then from there into another door. They came to a small room, with two chairs in it and a door beyond that was bolted and secured. In the room itself was a truly huge man who had tiny eyes and a mass of hair. He seemed to be reading a romance novel and grunted as they entered.

“Hey Brer,” Stare softly said to the guard. “This is Nevin. A friend of mine. He is here to try to solve our mage problem.”

The giant of a man, who was in truth half-giant, looked from the kenku to the red-head and then grumbled and nodded. Tossing her the keys he gave a short, happy smile before returning to his book. Stare let out a satisfied sigh before going forth and opening the door. First the lock, then she rested her hand on the bolt. She glanced back at Nevin … before opening the door.

And revealing the messed, ragged mage who lay sprawled on the bed, a single fetter and chain running from his ankle to the wall.

“All yours,” she whispered, and stepped back.

Nevin slowly entered the chamber noting that the mage barely twitched his head in the alchemist’s direction. The redhead coughed lightly and nodded, moving over to slowly approach the mage. The man gave a low snarl at Nevin’s approach, baring his teeth in a display of defiance.

“You useless pricks haven't broken me. I won't tell you what you want to know, you might as well kill me now.” Nevin raised an eyebrow at this - the man was more coherent than he had expected. Coherent, but weak - he tried to stand up, but even before the chain attached to his ankle rattled the captive collapsed with a disgusted gasp.

“Peace, neighbor. I'm not in their employ - I'm an outside contractor who was asked to come in and make sure you were in good health.” Nevin slowly sank into a cross-legged position in front of the mage, who spat onto the floor between them. “Now, now. They’ve decided they won't be getting information from you, but apparently there is someone who is willing to pay for your… Return, or delivery, they didn't bother telling me which, just that a healer was needed to check on you. Can you eat?” He set the plate of bread down on the ground, and watched as the mage’s hand snaked out, snatching the hunk of bread from platter. A few moments passed as the mage tore into the heavy bread, his eyes trained on Nevin.

Nevin
12-07-2017, 06:06 PM
“Feh. You're an idiot, and they are too. Once I get my strength back I'll be escaping from this place.” Nevin just shook his head.

“Your escape wouldn't bother me much. It would make the assessment that you're in good health quite easy to make, which makes my job easier.” The mage snorted, a laugh that shook his body and made him wince in pain. His bruise eyes focused on the mug in Nevin’s hand.

“Wine?”

“No, you aren't up to that, I think. Just some water.” Nevin held it out, and the mage jerked it away, watching as some of the clear fluid spilled onto the floor. He dipped a finger into it and sniffed the digit, then tested it with his tongue.

“No medicines?” Nevin shook his head.

“I had no idea what state you were in, so bread and water. Once I'm sure you can handle simple plain foods, then we’ll look at more substantial food.” With a jerky nod, the mage guzzled the water. Behind his back, Nevin tapped the ground as the seconds passed. By the time he had tapped ten seconds out, the mage’s eyes had begun to glaze over as he finished drinking.

“Now then, how are you feeling?”

“Scared, a bit. If what you say is true, then someone at the Church thinks I've already spilled my guts to these people, and want to find out what they've learned from me. Which is nothing, but they won't believe that.” The mage didn't seem to be paying attention to what he was saying. Nevin smiled softly and nodded.

“I know, I have to deal with a church myself. Not for Sabazios, I'm dealing with the Church of Crimson.” The mage let out a snort.

“Those psychos. I heard they recently cleaned up their act in Radasanth, they aren't trying to hire the Bounty Hunters to hunt that alchemist of theirs down anymore. The ones here though are still as nuts as ever.” Nevin nodded and made agreeing noises.

“Now, it looks like you can hold water and bread down would you like some more?” The mage nodded, and Nevin slowly stood up, doing his best to remain non-threatening as he made his way over to Stare to speak to her in a quiet voice.

“What do you need to know? And can you get a little more bread and maybe a bit of meat? It looks like the tonic has fully taken hold of him, so a little more food won't affect the effects on his body.”

Stare paused, still in the doorway. She murmured quietly back. “If he has any information on Sabazios himself, how the demon, their deity, has changed. Most importantly though we want to know of the being who has been said to influence Sabazios, the one working with him.” Her eyes flickered to meet Nevin's. “His colleague, the High Mage, the one we killed, spoke of this influencer very negatively, so it might be the same from this one.”

The kenku drew her voice even quieter, barely above a whisper. “If you can find out the plans, where they plan to strike next. If you speak badly of Vitruvion it will help you. They consider him an enemy.”

“That, I can do.” Nevin’s voice was equally quiet, though he did let her see the flicker of a smile that danced across his lips for a moment. Then he straightened back up and returned to the mage.

Stare
12-08-2017, 04:52 AM
“Well my friend. They'll work on some more food for you, some simple and plain fare that should be easy enough to digest. Now. I admit, the Crimson Church has changed a bit back in Radasanth - I was in the city not too long ago myself. What about your church, any recent upheavals? Maybe someone who looks like these folks’ damn pretty boy of a boss lurking around?” The mage snorted derisively and leaned against the wall.

“I'll say. Ever since that white haired prick started hanging around, everything we do has been focused on causing misery. Sabazios didn't use to be like that ya know. It was a fun church to be a part of, Lord Sabazios was dedicated to partying until you bled. Used to have these huge shindigs, lots of booze and women all the time. Then that bastard pretty boy godling - that's what he called himself anyway - came along, and that all changed.” The mage’s tone had grown extremely bitter at this point.

“No more parties for us, oh no. Everything was sunk into the Bounty Hunters guild, apparently searching for ways to hurt this place’s pretty boy. Lord Sabazios tried to stop him, claimed that departing from his sources of power were hurting him too much, but white hair didn't care. I don't know what he did to our Lord, but he forced Lord Sabazios to obey him. Some people tried to leave, but the white haired bastard said something about ‘ants only being useful while they worked’ and killed them. Now everyone listens to him, since he killed mage and normal people with the same amount of effort - none.” Nevin sat back, frowning. “Yeah, you see why I'm not too eager to go back to the Church. Even if it will get me to the big party thing happening out in Radasanth, I don't really want to go back to them.”

“I can certainly see why you want to stay away. But, wait, I thought you said that this white haired godling wanna be didn't let you have parties anymore?”

“Yeah. Don't know why he changed his mind but hey. They were planning it when… Well. When I was graciously invited to stay here at the white haired bastard’s expense.” Nevin copied the man as he spat to the side. “Said something about a new investment out there being weakly guarded compared to stuff in Raeria, and promised us that if we helped the raid we’d have all the beer we could drink. Something about a Celestial?” Nevin sat back as the man began nodding off, then he slowly tipped back against the wall, snoring as he slept. The alchemist stood up and brushed off his pants before walking over to Stare.

“He’ll wake up in a couple of hours, and won't remember this.”

Godling. The word burned in her mind. Stare kept glaring at the man, considering the details of the white hair and the arrogance. That pure white hair was a family trait - even Ventrua, Vitruvion's loyal half sister, had it. It had to be another half child of Ansaldo, somehow come to Althanas.

Nevin
12-08-2017, 07:46 AM
“Fuck,” she whispered under her breath. “It has to be.”

“One moment,” she said to Nevin as she and he exited the room. Firmly, she bolted and locked the door behind her. She threw the keys back over to the reading half-giant who smiled cheerily at them. Taking a moment then she breathed in and began to expand with her mind. Her eyes began to slide out of focus before-

I heard it all, a cold, rigid voice said, I heard it all. We have a very serious issue.

It sounded like they are planning something to do with my brewery. She saw a brief look of a mad anger, intense and burning. Eyes were dark, jaw was set and altogether he looked as if he was ready to destroy a galaxy … It made her stop, her heart pounding and truly anxious and fearful. We need to prepare, Stare.

She breathed out slowly, her mental nod turning into a physical one. Opening her eyes she realised her face was wrinkled with worry and she sighed as she saw both Brer and Nevin watching her cautiously.

“That just made things far more complicated. Sorry. I … we should leave,” she nodded to Nevin. “Now.”

Personal experience of Vitruvion's madness when he was truly furious was clear in her mind. She wanted to be gone as far as possible, the memories of the physical pain still clear in her mind. And he was currently with Blaze or Sable. There was nothing she could do, only get herself and Nevin far from the situation.

Thus she indicated the door and began the fast march out.

The two of them left rather hurriedly, faster than Nevin had expected them to after everything that had happened. But at this point he wasn't surprised - he had seen the look of fear on her face for a moment watching as her expressions and flickered. He had figured out that that was a sign of her talking with Vitruvion - but what had been said between them that had her actually scared? Even in that damn Castle, she had never been scared. Disgusted, startled, annoyed - but never afraid like she was now.

So he kept quiet as they left, winding their way back through the corridors of the Hollow, passing by guards who nodded. His dear friend said nothing as they left, and only paused when they reached the main entryway and turned to look at him. Nevin blinked twice before remembering that he wasn't to see the route here, then took the bandana back out and rebound his face.

Cutting off his sense of sight was somewhat less effective than most people realized. Aphrael hung high above in the sky, lazily circling in slow loops through the air. She had a poor memory for specific buildings, but she could remember routes quite well. But with Stare already concerned and Vit already agitated, Nevin was not about to mention this to her and make things worse.

Stare
12-09-2017, 02:44 AM
Instead, he just kept quiet as Stare led him back to where their mounts were. He staggered a bit when they reached the chocobos, because Rai decided to show his appreciation for Nevin’s return by headbutting the man squarely in the middle of his chest. Nevin snagged the side of the feisty bird’s bridle to stay upright, glaring through the blindfold at Rai.

Stare kept her eyes forwards, her heart still racing like it was ready to explode. Carefully as she could she batted Rai away and helped her friend onto the riding birds. Once done she swung herself up to the patient Sen, who huffed a greeting but acted like a ‘proper chocobo’ should. Taking Rai’s reigns and hers in hand she led the group of them away from the stables and out onto the street. For a while she strode in silence until they were a decent way from the Guard House, and had rounded a corner enough for it to be out of view.

But never out of mind. Stare truly pitied the one who was subject to Vitruvion’s fury right now. It was the worst thing about him, and she could only count her blessings that it was no longer her.

“Right,” she said softly, and she pulled the birds to a halt. Angling her body around she spoke louder. “Nevin, you can … take it off now. We can head back to the House or the … pub?” she smiled uneasily before passing the reins back to him.

She waited until she could see the dark red eyes and the crimson hair again. Though her fear was still plain in her eyes, her heart methodically began to relax in pace again. After all, it was not her, she had no reason to be afraid. Vitruvion was more likely to kill anyone who beat her, let alone do it anymore himself. Aside from when she disobeyed him.

“Either way,” she said, calmer, “You have helped much. Thank you. Truly.”

Nevin reached out and squeezed her shoulder, offering support as he nodded. When she seemed relatively calm her pulled back, swatting Rai on the back of the head as the chocobo twisted its neck back to bump against him again. He couldn't tell if the ruddy bird was being affectionate or ornery. After his mount subsided, he looked over to Stare.

“I'm glad to have been of help to you my friend. Now. I could rest, or I could drink. Sadly those little sandwiches were hardly filling, so wherever we go I'll need some food.” His lips twisted into a grin as he stretched out. Then his expression tightened a bit.

“I thought I had cleaned out the corruption in the Church of Crimson. It seems my work isn't done in that regard. Thankfully there isn't one of those Cobalt-taken Scarlet Servants here this time - Vitruvion or I would have noticed if one had taken up residence in the city. So. Where shall we go?” The redhead shook himself abruptly, shaking off the dark musings he had fallen into, and raised an eyebrow at Stare.

Nevin
12-10-2017, 03:38 PM
Stare narrowed her eyes in distaste, “Vitruvion would never allow them to be here. He is one of four - now three, sorry, important and powerful men here. The other two are brothers in the Hollow, and we brought about the destruction of the one who was not a few months back. There are the other officials, but if he wanted to he could take over this city,” she breathed in and rolled her shoulders back, thinking about Thesus Heysan and what he had done. She clacked her tongue against the side of her beak for a moment, before she shook herself and forgot about the noble who had taken Vitruvion’s mill in the city hostage, inclusive of nearly a hundred workers, raped them before setting the place alight.

“House is fine, we can hole up in the library with food. You’ll like all the books, and can find what we have on the Red Forest,” she rubbed Sen’s shoulder before nodding.

“Let’s go,” she said, and kicked the chocobo’s side. Throwing up his beak Sen cawk’ed to the sky, and then started racing.

Soon the two birds and their riders were running back through the streets, heading to the mansion of Sir Elssmith and the comfort of the library. On they went, past empty street and filled marketplace. Past shop and garden and house and crossroad. Round to the estates they travelled, coming to the grand gate that was still open, and chasing each other back into the stables.

Ten minutes later they were entering a huge room. Long and wide it was rectangular, ending in a huge bay window, and with deep, dark wooden shelves down both sides of the room. Top to floor they were filled with books, with no space for anything else, and every bit of it was crammed. Only a small pair of double doors that lay opposite the bay window, the bay window itself (which was more of a cushioned bench) and the door they came in through was not covered in books. The rest of the space was cast in shades of red-brown from carpet to painted ceiling, including the chairs and tables. A comfy set of armchairs were waiting for them, and over to them Stare carried a plate of steaming pastries, fresh from the oven.

“Welcome to the library,” she said with a gleam in her eye. “One of the good things about my life.”

Nevin’s eyes were tracking back and forth, taking in everything around them. This place was quite grand, and if he hadn't known what she had gone through he might have been envious of her solely for this library. The works that must be contained in here, covering a span of subjects and eras! For a moment he was tempted to ask of they had any books on Alchemy here, but he held his tongue, instead taking one of the pastries with a smile to his friend.

Stare
12-11-2017, 06:00 AM
“This place is quite impressive. I can see you spending many hours here when you aren't busy with your responsibilities. Now then. We’re on the look for information about the Red Forest - but no one ever said that's all we would read about or discuss. Any ideas on where and what to start with?” Nevin sat back and began slowly munching on the pasty as he watched Stare set the tray down and sit across from him.

-----

Another room. This one smaller, but still large. A huge heavy oak table with ten chairs surrounding it. One is clearly where the master of the house sat - for this seat had elaborate, twisting arms and the image of a prancing pegasus carved into its back. Around the walls hung six portraits of the same man, steadily changing with the fashions but never in age. A soldier, a scholar, a scientist, a romantic, a book-lover and a merchant were all there - all facades of a single life lived.

“Someone was snoring all night, I could hardly sleep. It was one of the rooms to the west side of the house, really loud and borish. I am so tired now, honestly, I feel like I have very little energy to even begin the day.”

Stare rolled her eyes as she fell into her usual chair. Ever since moving to the mansion she had come to sit on the left hand side of the ornate chair - Vitruvion’s. The right hand was dedicated to Raevin. No one ever sat there casually, aside from visiting nobles at dinner. Usually it remained empty unless the elf warrior was staying in the mansion.

Beside Stare was a black haired elf, Mer - a woman who she and Vitruvion had rescued from the clutches of the Bounty Hunter Guild. She was proud, but prudent, a clever woman with many wits about her and a way of moaning that really annoyed you when all you wanted was a nice, peaceful breakfast.

“It wasn’t you, was it Stare?”

Stare grabbed her coffee. “Mer, no it wasn’t. And I am sure it wasn’t Nevin neither, before you start moaning about ‘your friend’. It was probably Druss as usual. If you are tired, then go back to bed. Have half an hour and then join the world again.”

“But I am awake now,” the elf frowned deeply, smoothing down her find cotton dress. “And I have things to do, apparently, because you say they need to be done. Honestly, do we have to interview every member of the household ourselves? Surely Druss or Mrs Deerling could …”

The kenku groaned and stood. Reaching forwards she began to grab food from the many plates in the middle of the table, where there was cold meat, bread, cheeses and fruit aplenty. A dish with a dome held hot sausages under it as well as warm bacon.

Nevin
12-11-2017, 08:29 AM
It was at this point that Nevin came in, his hair disheveled and hanging loosely around his head, the tips brushing across his shoulders as he blinked at the people in the room. He had followed the smell of food, but had expected that it would lead him back to the kitchens, not to a dining hall with yet more pictures of Vitruvion hanging around. His dark red eyes slowly scanned the chamber before he grunted and started making his way over to a side table where he could see a carafe with coffee steaming inside of it. After he had poured himself a cup he slowly turned around and looked towards Stare.

“Good morning to you, and to you as well Lady.” He nodded his head towards Merla. “I have to say. The person who was sawing wood all night was rather loud, wasn't he? I think I know a tincture that can help with that.” Nevin was speaking somewhat softly despite his confident tone, and he winced as he took a drink of the coffee. A moment, and then he drained the cup before pouring more, then stalked over to the table and sat down at an empty seat along one side.

“Please tell me you all don't suffer that nightly.”

Stare’s eyes smiled as she saw her friend walk in and then sit. She started to slowly pile layers of cheese and cold meat on bread.

“Druss has been snoring on and off since he joined us here,” she explained. “He's not the lightest of sleepers. He has a room on the west side where you were. Apologies on behalf of him.”

She pushed the food into her mouth and savoured the taste. Mer looked between Stare and him for a while before coughing.

“Oh yeah, Nevin, this is Mer. Mer … Nevin. Mer does my job when I can't.”

“And sometimes when you can,” the elf smirked.

Stare threw her a dirty look but went on. “Was everything else alright for your sleep?” she asked her friend.

Nevin raised one eyebrow at the catty attitude of the Elf that was sitting down he couldn't quite see why the woman was taking shots at Stare, but then again, he did have to remind himself that he hardly knew everything that went on here. And the way she was eyeing Stare, obviously trying to see if her comment had gotten a reaction - which it had, his friend had thrown a look that was just short of using one of her powers - he could tell that this Mer girl was envious of Stare. So instead of leaping to Stare’s defense, which the avian girl scarcely needed, he instead smiled at her with half-lidded eyes as he drank more coffee.

“Most impressive Miss Mer. I'll write down some creams for reducing stress lines, I know that Stare has quite a few onerous tasks.” He coughed slightly before turning an actual, warm smile, to Stare.

Stare
12-11-2017, 08:51 AM
“And as for sleep. I know not this thing which you mention. I…. Perhaps might have gone back to the library after being unable to sleep due to Druss. Ah, that reminds me.” The man began rummaging in the pockets of his trousers, then brought out a small black pouch, scarcely more than a scrap of cloth folded and sewn up. Holding it over his coffee he pulled it open, up ending the contents into his drink. A thin stream of small silvery sand fell into the mug, and Nevin stirred the contents of his cup with a finger for a moment. Then a deep breath, and he picked up the cup and drained the entire mixture, and both women would see a shake run across his entire form.

“Rather nasty tasting stuff, and it feels like drinking sand mixed into your drink. Effective at helping with the aftereffects of a sleepless night, though.” The redhead’s smile was noticeably strained, now.

Stare looked at him with disapproval, “Nevin, you should have said. I could have got you a room on the other side of the house.” She paused. “Also you are going to be shattered for your trip if you leave today.” Carefully she avoided saying 'our trip’ just in case Vitruvion disallowed her to go.

“On that, I hope you found useful things. There was a book I found whilst we were searching on some of the more bloodthirsty plants, might be worth taking notes on it.”

Mer butted in then. “So did you get the Tailors done yesterday?”

“Yes and the Emporium. All that needs done is the Offices. If you could do that …” Stare looked at her with a raised brow ridge.

The elf pouted slightly but shrugged. “I'm perfectly capable.”

Stare sighed and glanced back to Nevin, eyeing his coffee and the effects that the silver powder seemed to have on him warily. “What did you find last night then?”

“It's not the first time I've had to deal with a sleepless night, and I doubt it will be the last.” The alchemist leaned back in his chair and stretched, working out kinks in his shoulders before settling back in. “I must have missed the tome on plants that you found - what I gathered was information mostly pertaining to the former master of the place, until her demise. Good riddance. A little bit on the history of the place before her arrival and twisting of the forest, but not too much was seen there.” He leaned forward and rested his chin on one palm as he stared ahead, eyes lost in thought.

“A few newsheets were stored in there as well, bound together and talking about various rumors about the place. Even after the former mistress’ disappearance people have gone missing, even experienced explorers who should be able to handle the dangers posed by man eating plants. Aside from that rumors of a strange cult, and a strange creature. The place has apparently gotten quite weird after her demise.” Suddenly he blinked and looked to Mer, and bowed his head.

Nevin
12-11-2017, 11:12 AM
“My apologies. This isn't quite a pleasant topic for the breakfast table.”

Stare shook her head. “No, it is good. The more you read the more prepared you can be. You helped me … Us greatly yesterday, and this is what we can offer to repay you.” Her eyes smiled as Mer muttered something incomprehensible. And probably negative. “Thank you Nevin,” she inclined her head to him.

Pausing to raise her cup to her lips she kept an eye on him, wanting to profess her desire to go with him, but not prepared to say in case there was disappointment. Long she drank, and as she thought of something new to say she began to lower her cup.

That was when there was a small bam from the hall outside. Followed closely by the sound of footsteps.

There was a tight pause, and then Mer began to move.

“I'll get it,” Stare hissed back at her, knowing Mer would do it wrong. Grabbing the plate from the top seat the kenku began to go through the dishes in a haste, piling on very selected foods, the best of the best. Behind them the beats of boots continued, getting louder and louder.

Mer sat there, lip curled.

“Hmm,” came a grunt from the dining room.doorway. And there stood Vitruvion, his eyes and features reflecting intense dissatisfaction. He was bare-chested with a shirt flung over his shoulder, displaying his perfect muscles in all their glory. And his eyes were focused on Nevin. “I forgot you were staying here,” he said in a hollow, grumpy voice.

Quietly Stare placed the plate of food at Vitruvion's chair, saying nothing. Awkward silence filled the room.

“I apologize for the intrusion, Sir Elssmith.” There was absolutely no need to go poking the bear in his den right now, not when he had been so irritated from what the Alchemist had seen on Stare’s face last night. Nevin inclined his head to the man and clamped his lips shut, moving his cup of coffee into the kitchen before slipping away. His simple presence would probably irritate the man more right now - so instead of staying and making the awkward situation worse, Nevin headed up towards his room and began to gather his notes and such.

He would try to find Stare again before he left, see if she had actually taken notes on the plants in the woods from the book she had found,and then he would make his departure. But before Nevin could leave though, he would have to see about thanking Vitruvion for letting him stay, and inquire to see if the man wanted any more of that truth serum that he had used - but he would wait, until after the individual had had a chance to wake up and eat. It would be easier to produce the stuff in the future - and he could do it discreetly, far more so than the hurried rush through the city yesterday had been.

Stare
12-11-2017, 12:21 PM
As Nevin pushed past him Vitruvion took a breath in, and then nodded slowly. He gestured.

“Mer, if you could leave please,” he said quietly, not moving further.

The elf raised her brows, and looked between him and Stare. Vitruvion stared at her.

“I mean now,” he insisted.

Stare remained at her seat, her eyes on the air where Nevin had walked away. He had been polite in her mind, good hearted. But for now, it was time to speak to Vitruvion.

Mer grumbled as she pushed herself up from the table and grabbed her plate and mug. She glared once at Stare, but then strode out, her eyes fixed ahead of her. As she walked past him Vitruvion raised his brows but let her pass without a comment. He reached and pulled the dining room doors closed before heading over to his chair. Heavily, and letting out a long breath he slumped into it, his facade of energy slipping away and looking entirely exhausted. A face he showed to very few people.

“Stare,” he said quietly, “This has become a very serious situation.”

Pausing, and finally moving her eyes over to him the kenku found herself nodding.

“Yes it has,” she admitted. Was he exhausted because of the effort he had put into punishing Blaze or Sable for the sake of his anger?

The god hissed with distaste and laid his head on the back of his seat. “That is not for you to moan about. We've had that discussion many a time.”

“I know,” she admitted with a thick voice, finally taking up her mug again. And she paused, letting silence reign for a moment before she asked.

“Brer will take a squadron of men up to the bakery to protect it,” he said decisively. “And I've told Raevin to start hiring more guards. We made need them.”

“It might not be enough if there truly is a half-brother of yours here,” Stare murmured. “Especially as he has formed an alliance with a demon.”

“Sabazios may be strong,” Vitruvion admitted. “His power may be quite capable of impacting against mine. It took away the enchantments of your original cuff, after all.”

She nodded slowly, awkwardly fingering her mug. There was a silence for a moment.

“No matter what,” he said in a low, quiet voice, “We will protect what we have. I won't let him, whoever he might be, take you from me.”

She closed her eyes and breathed out slowly.

“Stare, you are mine.”

Slowly she nodded, her heart steadily beating. “I know, Vitruvion.” And he did not that she was his, in property. He was talking about her being his subject, and he as her god. She felt his hand gently touch her feathers at her head, as nothing but warmth and understanding filled her.

“Stare,” he said finally.

“Yes, my lord,” she murmured.

“If you must,” he let out a breath, “You may go.”

Her eyes flashed open. Brows suddenly rose with astonishment and she turned to stare at him. He was looking at her with tired but serious eyes.

“You're … you're serious?” She asked in surprise.

Vitruvion nodded once, his expression fixed and certain. “Yes. And you need not worry about Nevin suffering any after effects of the Hollow. His power returned almost directly.”

She was eager but thanked him nevertheless. Sometimes the magic-cancelling continued on until much later. And days, with a correlation on how long you had been in there. “Thank you. Now about going?”

He smiled, “Yes. But on one condition, Stare.”

She nodded enthusiastically, suddenly energy in her body and full of excitement. “Of course-”

He paused. “Actually three. One, you keep an eye on that friend of yours. I'm immensely concerned about the divine magic you saw in him.”

Stare tensed but nodded. It was acceptable. “I will … try. But I won't hurt him.”

“And I'm not asking you to. Just for you to observe,” he paused, “Two, you come back in three days. No more.”

Again she nodded, eyes steady with his.

“And three, you get something. Something I have avoided getting for a long time for the concern of the harm it might do to me.”

She breathed in, gaze intent but showing entire willingness.

He smiled, faintly, but there were lines of stress around them. “The intestines of the ophiotaurus … those that when burned are said to be able to kill a deity.”

Nevin
12-11-2017, 12:32 PM
Nevin let out a soft sigh and shook his head. He had finished packing up, but when he came back down stairs the Elf that had been rather rude to Stare was pacing back and forth with an angry look on her face in the hall that led to the dining room. When she heard his footsteps on the stairs she spun around and glared at him, and Nevin raised one red eyebrow as she huffed and stormed off. As she shoved past him, the elf spat in his direction.

“She won’t always be his favorite.” And then she was gone. Nevin stared after her for a moment before shaking his head slowly.

“You have no idea, Miss. None at all.” Nevin had only a rough idea at this point, but he was beginning to see that the bond between the two of them, as twisted as its origin was, was as permanent as they came. The Elf girl would not have a chance of coming in between that, no matter how much she might want to. Now then. He turned to look at the closed doors, and figured that Mer had been removed from the chamber so the two of them could discuss business. If that was the case…

He found where Druss had gotten to - the butler showing no signs whatsoever of having suffered from his snoring last night - and left a message for the master of the house with the man. It was simply an offer that if Vitruvion desired more of the ‘potion that had proven useful yesterday’ then Nevin would be able to supply some, discreetly. After making sure that the man had the message down firmly - in writing, as well as orally - Nevin made his way to the stable. He wanted to say goodbye to the feisty ball of red feathers that had apparently taken a liking to him, because as soon as Nevin entered the area, Rai’s head shot over his stall door, and he let out a loud croon. The redheaded alchemist walked over to the stall and began to pat Rai’s neck.

“It was nice meeting you, thank you for deigning to carry me. I’ll make sure to ask Stare if I can come back to visit you some time, Rai - but I have to go now, and I don’t think the master of this house would appreciate me making off with his mounts very much at all.”

“The one to worry about is me,” Stare said, appearing behind him as she trudged over the stones of the back yard. “I won't let you steal him.”

Her eyes smiled as she walked over. Behind her the house rose like a beacon of hope and sanity in the world she lived in. As she came over Sen let out a chirp before attempting to stuff his own head beside Rai's, the two chocobos now fighting for space. Two males may have been a bad idea. Eventually though after a few nicks and tugs Sen won the right and was petted by his loving mistress.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
12-13-2017, 02:49 AM
Stare receives 2950 EXP and 260 GP!

Nevin receives 3280 EXP and 275 EXP!

This thread will now be submitted to the workshop for peer review.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
12-13-2017, 02:53 AM
All rewards added!