View Full Version : Approved The Rambler

The Rambler
01-02-2018, 06:42 PM
Name: Henry
Nickname/Alias: The Rambler
Race: Human
Height: 5’10’’
Weight:175 lbs
Personality: Cheerful, care free, open and friendly. A tad protective at times, he tries to help people and spread cheer.

History:

Henry grew up in an orphanage in Corone - but he did not mind this, because he was surrounded by his friends and ‘family’ as he grew up. The orphanage made it a point to have their wards take up trades and skills - and arts. Henry is a passable boyeur and fletcher, but his real talent lay in his love of music. When he became old enough to leave the orphanage, the matron gifted him with a fine fiddle, and he set off into the world to make his own way.

Appearance: Henry is of average height, and a bit lean. He prefers to dress in simple, rustic clothes, as they suit his needs as a wanderer better than most fineries could ever hope to. He has shaggy, dark brown hair that falls to his shoulders, and bright blue eyes that always seem to have a sparkle in them. His nose is slightly crooked - from, he claims, where he fell down while heroically trying to rescue a friend from a raging river. Said friend, would rejoin, that it was a small stream, and he slipped and fell on a wet rock and busted his nose while they were playing tag. He wears simple, well made gloves - covering the fact that his fingers are heavily scarred, from years of practice on his lute.

Skills:
Musical Proficiency: Henry has focused for years on making music. While he is best on his fiddle, he is still quite good on pipes and drums as well. His singing talent is admirable as well - from tenors to deep baritones, he can hit many notes well.

Bowmaking/Fletchery: While Henry prefers to make music, not combat, he did learn a trade in the orphanage. His chosen ‘profession’ was the art of crafting ranged weapons. He maintains this ability even now, practicing by making bows of varying complexity, but never seems quite satisfied with them.

Defense training: Henry was trained to defend himself - he primarily uses a staff, or a spear if he has to, and falls back to a knife if all else fails.

Hunting: as part of his fletcher training, Henry learned how to hunt and skin small and medium game. While he'd balk at a bear - deer and other small game are within his range.

Abilities:
The Sound of Music: Henry has an inherent magical ability to produce effects through his music. He has a passive ability to spread the mood of his music to his listeners - and while it is easily shrugged off, it is still pleasant as his preferred music is happy and Cheerful.
[Locked Ability: Cacophony of Sound]
-Cacophony of Sound: A combative ability. Henry harshly strums his fiddle hard and fast, generating a discordant noise. Matched with a wordless yell, this is a painful assault on the ears and mind. Usable thrice per day, deals light mental trauma to all who hear it save Henry himself. All - including any potential allies nearby. Effect length: Immediate effect, no long term duration. The mental discoherence lasts for three seconds. [End Locked Ability,]

-All Eyes On Me: A sharp strum of strings, a clearing of the throat, a loud cough - Henry is able to pour a modicum of his magic into some kind of attention grabbing sound - which results in people's attentions being dragged to him. The sway can be broken with mild effort. Usable twice per day. Effect lasts for two posts.

-Sound of Silence: Henry slams down on his fiddle, muting the strings entirely. His magic takes that intent and reaches out - and silences everything in a fifteen yard radius around him for a short duration. (Two Post) All audio is affected - from verbal communication to the birds in the trees - within that sphere, no sound can penetrate until the duration wears off.

Equipment/Weapons:
Mahogany and Ash Fiddle, with a Yew Bowstick:
A finely crafted fiddle of mahogany and ash wood, dark wood with bold, light accents. Strong strings on both the instrument, and the bowstick to accompany it.

Composite Bow: Layered hard and soft woods, handcrafted by Henry himself for his personal preferences and style of shooting. The bow is stronger than a standard one made of a single wood, and capable of shooting an arrow through a thin iron plate. He currently only has standard wooden arrows with iron tips, and though he does have both flat, hunting arrows, and barbed arrows for combat.

Oak staff: a six foot long oak staff. Bound with iron at the ends for durability.

Iron dagger: a simple iron dagger, used for skinning game and cutting.

Care kit: A meticulously organized satchel with a variety of supplies, intended for the care and upkeep of Henry’s fiddle. Spare strings, spare bits of wood, polish, things of that nature.

Philomel
01-02-2018, 06:58 PM
Hi and welcome to Althanas

I'll be looking after your RoG today. :)

Mainly I need to know at the moment for how long the strums last for Cacophony of sound and All eyes on me. How long would the effects last for on these two also?

Thank you. You look to have a very exciting character.

I also need to know about the bow itself, how much stronger is it than an average bow? Would it just be a little stronger than yew? If so we may need to look into deducting some money for it.

The Rambler
01-02-2018, 07:03 PM
Cacophony of sound is a direct attack ability so its a one and done. Edited in duration stuff for All Eyes on Me. The bow: I don't know how strong the comparative regular bow would be. I tried to make it believably strong for a composite bow, but I don't know if a normal bow in Althanas with no modifications could punch through iron or not.

Philomel
01-02-2018, 07:12 PM
So Cacophony is a single blast that is instantaneous and leaves some trauma? How long would that trauma remain around for? Would it wear off naturally?

The others look fine.

The bow I can charge you a small amount from your starting gold and we can work from there. I can make it a rywan strength bow (teir 2) and charge 100 gold if that is okay.

The Rambler
01-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Edit in, and sure, I don't mind the cash hit.

Philomel
01-03-2018, 11:56 AM
At the moment you are a little over. Mostly this is because Cacophony and All eyes on me effects everyone. What I would perhaps suggest limiting Cacophony to working on people closer to his level or All eyes on Me.

You could also reduce the sound bubble for sound of silence.

The Rambler
01-03-2018, 12:15 PM
Ehhhh I just went ahead an locked Cacophony of Sound. He's a bard.if he has to fight, he messed up. And edited Eyes on Me to use some of the extra PL

Philomel
01-03-2018, 12:29 PM
Approved