“Love - do you have a glass jar? An - empty one?” Nevin’s voice was soft, barely audible.

I fumbled around in my bag, still trying to hold him up. It was a great deal of effort. I shot a glare behind my back at the door where the man stood behind. I knew it wasn’t exactly his fault but his indifference pissed me off. I didn’t care if he was a god or a Celestial being or whatever. There was no reason for him to be so damn rude.

I pulled out an empty vial and handed it to Nevin. The scowl turning into a look of concern. He never usually denied my help. Was it because of everyone in the room? “Nevin….” I whimpered, ears falling flat against my head as I pressed the vial into the palm of his hand. Unlike him, I didn’t care what they thought. “You should take Eteri blood. Make you feeling better.” His shaking hand popped the vial open - and he forced the strange ball into it, then closed it hard, sealing it. As soon as he had, his body relaxed, and the weird shimmer around his hands vanished. He sagged, and let the vial fall to the bed. His warm, dark red eyes locked onto mine, and he reached out and took my hand, pulling me down into his lap.

“I’m sorry, dear.”

“Am worried, please?” I insisted. Even against his clothing I could feel the short ragged breaths, feel the slick of his sweat on his clothes. I wasn’t sure what he did but I did know that that it took far too much out of him. “You did too much. Nevin...why?” I felt them - thin threads that wrapped around my arms, sliding up my neck, and then slid into me, piercing my skin and tapping the veins. I felt that familiar, warm pulling feeling, and almost tugging sensation. He wasn’t holding back this time.

I mumbled and leaned into him. He was finally listening to me. I sighed and shut my eyes. “This day not fun.” He gave a weak laugh.

“No, it isn’t. And - I did it because.. I owe them. Stare was the first person to accept me as not a monster for these, and my blood magic. And she helped me when I had to fight something that was trying to bring something very dark into this world. Helping to heal Raevin is - something I could do. So I did. Besides.” He gave a chuckle, and this one sounded healthier - as it should, since he was pulling heavily from me, and color was returning to his cheeks. “Aren’t even demi-gods or godlings meant to stop demons?”

“Then boss man should do more.” I grumbled. “No think he or Stare like Eteri. Thought Stare was friend.” I pressed my head further into his neck and lifted heavy arms to wrap around his shoulders. I felt dizzy, but I wouldn’t let him know. If I could I’d give him everything I had. “Nevin make far better god.” He hugged me tightly.

“Stare is... Polite. Formal. Very bad things happened to her, and she still has trouble being open. And she was raised that way too. As for Vitruvion - it seemed like that stuff was specifically created to react powerfully, and negatively, to his presence. Wai- Eteri?” Nevin’s voice shifted from amused, then thoughtful, to frightened and panicked. I felt his threads withdraw suddenly from my skin, and he grabbed me, turning my face to his. “Oh no, love, I took too much. Damn it I was too tired to stop myself. Damn, damn damn me for a crimson-tainted fool.” He chewed on his lip as he turned his head down to look along my body. “Thick flow I must have taken in well over a pint or two, damn it this is dangerous -” He was talking rapidly, to himself, and he seemed very worried.

I blinked. Slowly. Had he? I felt a little dizzy and heavy but beyond that I felt fine. I shook my head and pressed my lips against his. “Can take more if need. Is ok...is ok…” My hands found his and squeezed them tightly. Such numbers meant nothing to me. I didn’t know how much or little that was. All I knew was that he needed it. He shook his head, his red, red hair dancing about us.

“No, honey, no. I - you don’t look anemic?” He suddenly frowned and stared into my eyes, and he pressed his fingers against a spot under my jawline. His eyes closed, and he held his breath for nearly half a minute. “That’s… odd. You don’t seem to be suffering any adverse effects to the amount of blood drawn. You should be nearly passing out now - I’ve taken more now than I have since we used a blood stimulation pill.” He hummed in thought, and the frown eased into a look of confusion.

“Am ok.” I squirmed in his lap trying to ease his thoughts. “See!” I held my arms up wide. “Fine.” He pressed down on my legs, making me stop squirming, and I could feel why as he chuckled.

“Well. We will have to experiment with that later. At home. Not here.” He laid back, bringing me down with him, and he let out a deep breath, his arms curling around me. “We’ll rest for a bit. I .. even with you helping me - and dear, you were definitely a help there, I wouldn’t have been able to finish without you supporting me - I need some actual rest. We can lay for a bit, then see about heading back home to sleep.” His voice didn’t sound weak anymore, just tired.

I ran my fingers through his hair as he slowly drifted off to sleep. I didn’t like this. I didn’t like that he felt he had to overwork himself for a stranger just for a few good deeds. I needed to talk to that man. Set him straight. I carefully pried Nevin’s hands away from me. They clutched desperately for something so I shoved a pillow into them.

I leaned over his sleeping form and pressed my lips to his. “Will be back Nevin. Need chat to this man.” I whispered softly into his ear.

“D-dont cause too much trouble…” He mumbled.

I wouldn’t, at least. I wouldn’t do it on purpose. “I love you. Come back soon, ok?” His voice was soft as I moved away from him towards the door.