Name
    Gavner Nahs
    Race
    Vampire

The Gathering

tL20T5bb.jpg

Attachment 83

Closed to black_shadow, dracoboy8, and koli
    Last edited by Gavner_Nahs; 02-07-2018 at 11:52 AM.

Adventurer

EXP: 38,578, Level: 8
    Level completed: 40%, EXP required for next Level: 5,422
    Level completed: 40%,
    EXP required for next Level: 5,422

GP

Name
    Gavner Nahs
    Race
    Vampire
    The sun barely peeked over the horizon as Gavner drew near his destination. As he stepped out into the clearing, the soft rays of morning sun gently sneaked into the atmosphere, stinging Gavner's pale, exposed skin. He quickly withdrew into his cloak, pulling his hood up to shield from the sun. Creatures of the night had no place amongst the daywalkers.

Gavner would have camped in the woods that day, but the message entreated urgency. The pale skinned vampire, now completely unprotected from the sun, made his way down the red clay-ridden dirt path with a new found vigor. Now, only his thick traveling cloak rained between Gavner and the sun. The deadly rays cared not, however, as they penetrated anything weaker than canvas. Looking up Gavner squinted at the horizon as the sun burned his eyes, but he found what he was looking for not too far off in the distance.

Not far ahead, Dead Man's Drink lurked off to the side of the path; it eluded most who hadn’t previously visited, or learned of its location. Gavner gasped for a breath, already wet with copious amounts of perspiration as the tavern grew larger on the horizon. The sun enveloped the vampire, suffocating him in a blanket of heat. His heart raced, and he grew faint, and dizzy. Gavner knew this sequence of events all too well, but each time it occured, he never found it easier to handle.

Reaching the door of the pub Gavner burst through and slammed the door behind him. He stood there, head against the door for a few seconds, as he tried to catch his breath. Looking over his shoulder, he found several roughians staring drunkenly at him. The vampire bared his sharp, black teeth in an angry sneer and the nosy onlookers quickly went back to their business. Wooden tables and chairs littered the tavern at which customers could enjoy their drink. Several travelers and vagabonds inhabited a few tables and the occasional barstool, but the tavern remained vacant for the most part. Several men lie dead, eternally resting, on the bar and various tables- glasses still in their hands, completely full except for one or two sips. The Dead Man's Drink claimed all the faint of heart.

Hanging up his traveling cloak, Gavner ordered a rare venison steak, and a tankard of Dead Man’s Drink. He chose a spot in the corner of the tavern, and his cape swished behind him as he walked swiftly to the table. After a belly full of venison and half his tankard of Dead Man’s Drink, Gavner drifted off peacefully in his chair for the day.

The creature of the night woke up to the sound of a bar fight. Two vagabondes were going at it; 0ne pinned the other to the floor and was repeatedly punching his face. Gavner lifted his head and uncrossed his arms, wiping the sleep from his eyes. The tavern had gained its regulars, as well as a few travelers for the evening, but the most important guest sat directly across the table from Gavner. Garbed entirely in dark clothing, the figure wore a black mask of silk and sported a magnificent bow slung across his back.

“I see you have found me,” Gavner chuckled. “Thank you for watching my back while I slept. The journey was a long one”

The man in black gave a cool nod. The vampire stared into the cold, dark eyes of the archer with his own blazing red irises. The two sat, frozen in silence for several moments as the ambient noise from the tavern died down.

Suddenly a bowl crashed to the floor; the vampire and archer engaged each other in a blur. Gavner leapt across the table, and the dark archer grabbed the vampire and threw him over-shoulder with catlike reflexes. The archer sprang to his feet before Gavner even made contact with the ground, but the vampire swiftly rolled once and poised low to the ground. The creature of the night performed a leg sweep on the archer, sending the man in black backwards through the adjacent table and onto the ground. The vampire instantly leapt into the man’s mount, Gavner’s razor sharp fingernails pressed against the Archer’s throat. He froze, looking down to see a dagger drawn, the tip pressed firmly to Gavner’s heart.

“Black Shadow!” Gavner exclaimed jubilantly. He grinned from ear to ear and helped his friend to his feet. The two friends embraced lovingly, and Black Shadow gave the vampire a hearty slap on the back. The two approached the tavernmaster with the same order as Gavner had that morning, Shadow ordering a cup of mead and a medium rare venson of course, as opposed to the nearly raw steak that Gavner prefered. After an earful from the owner, an extra sum of gold and a promise not to break anything else, the two friends were sharing dinner together.

When they finished eating, Gavner waited several moments for Black Shadow to finish his mead. The vampire offered his friend the tankard of Dead Man’s Drink, which was still half full from the morning. Gavner smirked as his friend took a deep draught from the tankard, and offered the rest to Gavner who drained it.

"It is nice to see you again my friend.” Gavner said. “Please tell me, to what utmost urgency do I owe the pleasure?"
    Last edited by Gavner_Nahs; 04-29-2020 at 01:36 PM.

Innocence & Instincts

EXP: 29,359, Level: 7
    Level completed: 30%, EXP required for next Level: 5,641
    Level completed: 30%,
    EXP required for next Level: 5,641

GP

Name
    Black Shadow
    Race
    Human
    Throughout his life in exile, Dead Man's Drink made itself a special place to Black Shadow. In this bar he received his first lead starting a long chain of assassination missions. Here, he was forced into a bar fight nearly killing thirteen people. And here, he would once again meet his friend, Gavner. He learned of important information for his friend to know, and a mission for him to partake in.

Black Shadow entered into the tavern, music softly playing over the sounds of drunk men shouting at each other over their latest murders. The place was just as it had been Black Shadow's previous encounters with Gavner. Dead bodies scattered the floor while the notorious "Dead Man's Drink" claimed another victim as he took a sip. The ale was crafted to be so strong that few men could take more than one shot, and those that did took their last breath.

Poor fools. Why must you do this to yourself? Black Shadow thought to himself as he scanned the bar for Gavner. It took time, but Black Shadow’s eyes finally met his friend’s. Gavner sat alone in a booth at the far corner or the tavern, fast asleep, his eyes wide open. The dark archer made his way through the crowded bar to his friend and took a seat. He stared at the hooded vampire intensely, waiting patiently for him to awaken.

Gavner was a heavy sleeper. As time passed, the already loud bar echoed louder with angry voices and laughter at the spoils from the day. None of the extra noise stirred Gavner from his slumber. Black Shadow reached over and grabbed the vampire’s mug to see how much he had to drink. Half the mug was downed, and Black Shadow suspected Gavner would not awaken for some time.

Another hour passed by, Black Shadow not taking his eyes off his friend. He learned patience at a young age, and that came in handy in times like this. He continued to watch the vampire closely as the sun set and the tavern darkened. The bartender walked the tavern lighting candles and lanterns, illuminating the bar with a dim orange light. As the sun set entirely, Black Shadow saw the vampire stirred and came to his senses

“I see you have found me,” Gavner chuckled. “Thank you for watching my back while I slept. The journey was a long one”

Black Shadow and Gavner stared at each other for a moment, each eyeing and studying the other. Black Shadow and Gavner both moved at the same time. The bowl resting on the hard wood table flew across the room, smashing against the wall on the other side of the bar. The two moved so fast they were but a blur to anyone around them. The skirmish was short, but ended with Black Shadow on his back, Gavner on top of him. The Vampire’s dark nails pressed against Black Shadow’s throat, and Black Shadow’s small dagger poked Gavner’s chest.

“Black Shadow!” Gavner exclaimed as he embraced the dark archer. The two greeted each other properly, then apologized to the owner for the damage they caused. They ordered their dinner, Gavner ordering a nearly raw, bloody slab of venison, and Black Shadow having his medium rare.

“It is nice to see you again my friend.” Gavner said. “Please tell me, to what utmost urgency do I owe the pleasure?"

Black Shadow had a difficult time believing what he had learned the past few months. He paused for a moment, trying to find a way to tell Gavner. He lowered his head and took a deep breath.

“Shadow, is everything alright?” Gavner asked with a concerned look on his face.

Black Shadow had taught Gavner sign language throughout their friendship, the best way for the two to communicate. Black Shadow lifted his hands and began to sign.

“I believe Espoir’s family may still be alive.” Black Shadow said, in regards to his daughter. Gavner’s eyes widened and he stared back in disbelief.

“That is impossible, they died on that ship!” Gavner exclaimed.

“I thought so too, but I had to look into it. The ship we commandeered to speak with Clan Haldritar arrived into port three weeks ago. I snuck aboard after sunset and took a look at the manifest. Espoir was on the manifest as a child, and the one she was with…”

“The one we killed?” Gavner interrupted.

“Yes, the one we killed… She was a caregiver. I believe her parents may be alive.”

Gavner gave a blank stare, trying to process what he had just heard. “Are you sure about this?” He asked, still in disbelief.

“I am not sure, no. I did some digging, found the caregiver’s place of origin. She is an elf from one of the kingdom’s in Dhethain.”

“Dhethain? That forsaken land is an impending death sentence.” Gavner said, leaning back in his chair.

“I know… But I have to know, Gavner.”

Gavner gave a long sigh and rubbed his chin. “'very well, when do we leave?"
    Last edited by Black Shadow; 04-29-2020 at 12:07 AM.

Adventurer

EXP: 7,337, Level: 3
    Level completed: 59%, EXP required for next Level: 1,663
    Level completed: 59%,
    EXP required for next Level: 1,663

GP

Name
    Drake
    Race
    Spirit
    This is where we part ways, Drake. On your journey you will be tested many times and undergo many trials and tribulations. Stay true to yourself and you will always know which path to take.

Drake happily walked down the dirt path, taking a deep breath of morning air. He couldn't help but to smile upon smelling the musty air of the rainforest floor. Dead leaves, moss, lichen and dirt made such a beautiful combination, and composed Drake's favorite scent. When the half-angel first returned from heaven, he found himself in fertile farmland under the moonlit sky. Now he joyfully trekked through the forest. What wasn't to love about Dheathain?

He came to a cross section in the roads and stopped for a moment to look around. Vines casually hung down from the canopy ceiling, about halfway to the forest floor. Colorful birds fluttered from limb to limb overhead while monkeys swung amongst the vines. Baby trees sprouted amongst the vegetation on the ground, while bright green little plants grew knee high. Colossal ferns, too large to support their own weight, leaned over to the side, some against trees and some into the path.

The young angel closed his eyes and spread out his arms, peacefully breathing as he imagined himself taking off and bursting through the treetops and into the sunny sky. Drake couldn't wait to learn how to use his wings.

"Do not move, or we will kill you." A voice hissed behind him. Drake kept his eyes closed, humoring the aggressors for a moment.

"Sir, what should we do with him? He is just a boy." The soft draconic voice came, now from in front.

Drake opened his eyes and saw a green, scaly man with yellow eyes and black slits for pupils. He bared his teeth, revealing sharp canines and a forked tongue.

"We treat him no differently," A harsher, sharper voice said. "He is trespassing, and unwelcome here." A taller humanoid with red scales clad in a leather cuirass stepped into view. He sported a long two handed sword across his back and had long, sharp claws on the end of each finger. "Why are you trespassing in Drakari territory, human?"

"I'm just passing through," Drake said, "I'm sorry. I didn't know I was unwelcome."

"Wrong answer," The red scaled figure hissed.

Figures jumped out from the vegetation- at least six of them- all coming at him from different directions. Stepping left and preemptively crouching down, Drake exploded into a blue scaley figure. He shoulder checked the humanoid and bashed him under the chin with a forearm, sending him to the ground. All Drake needed was enough time to escape...

Shifting his focus to the yellow scaled Drakari from the right, Drake knocked the wind out of him with a powerful sidekick to the stomach. As the figure doubled over, Drake took off running down the path. He made it no more than ten yards before a Blue Scaled Drakari tackled him to the ground. Five of them all pounced at once.

"Hold his arms and legs!" One of them shouted. Drake began to kick and squirm to no avail.

"Let him breathe," the leader said as he approached the half-angel.. "Now, give me one reason why I should let you live."

"I do not negotiate with the likes of Evil," Drake said, and spat on the ground.

The drakari's face contorted in rage and he punched Drake in the face. He then drew his long claw down the side of Drake's face, leaving a deep cut.

"I'm going to beat you to a bloody mass, and then I'm going to cut off your head," The enraged Drakari hissed, "Then I will take your body to our shaman to incinerate with his breath."

Drake simply smirked, and began to hum a simple hymn that he learned in heaven. He continued humming as the entire band began a massive beating on the young angel.
    Last edited by drake; 08-21-2023 at 11:17 AM.

Adventurer

EXP: 6,985, Level: 3
    Level completed: 50%, EXP required for next Level: 2,015
    Level completed: 50%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,015

GP

Name
    Koli
    Sweet nothing.

Koli had spent countless hours practicing the way of the brotherhood. To completely fill one's mind- occupy it with everything in existence- and overload. Overloading the mind to render any form of concentration impossible remained a beginner meditation technique which brothers learned soon after they were old enough to talk. Many other adept techniques of truly altering one's consciousness and frame of mind existed, but Koli enjoyed the calm isolation of the degree of nothingness attainable through this technique.

Koli sensed somebody projecting a warm, heartfelt intention into the universe. It reflected off of Koli's own energy, refreshing him and comforting his heart. Koli's consciousness reflected the same energy back into the universe. Jalaphar, his blood brother, approached to share fellowship and knowledge.

Koli egressed from his state of isolation and turned himself to face the door of his dormitory, waiting for his brother, when suddenly a feeling of mischevity came about him. He concentrated on his surroundings and started breathing in a distinctive pattern; in for four counts, out for three, nothing for three, in for two, out for six, in for three... He felt his heartbeat slowing down to almost ten beats per minute, and his very existence seemed to fade away from his own presence.

The door opened and a tall, young athletic monk with a handsomely cut face and dark hair walked in. He had deep blue eyes and wore the white robe that the brotherhood issued as uniforms. Koli opened his eyes and watched his friend whom he had spent years training and learning with- honing their skills, studying the ways of the world, and their brotherhood's ethics together. The comorodory that they shared held a special place in Koli's heart, which only multiplied as they grew up together.

A look of confusion spread across Jalaphar's face as he looked around the room. "Koli?" he said, astonished. "Abbas Amo said he hasn't come out of his dormitory all day." Jalaphar said this as he looked directly at the spot where Koli sat.

Koli glanced down at himself and noticed that he had become invisible in his rhythmic and methodic meditation. Instantly he burst out laughing and Jalaphar jumped with a shriek as Koli's form faded into existence once more, his heart rate returning to normal.

"Wha- how- wha?" Jalaphar stammered as Koli fell down on his cot laughing.

"You should have seen the look on your face!" Koli gasped.

Jalaphar's astonished look changed to disbelief, and then he started to smile. Soon, both of the monks rolled on the cot laughing together. "You became invisible just to pull a prank on me?"

"[I/]Koli! Jalaphar![I]" A voice hissed from the hallway, and instantly Koli and Jalaphar were on their feet in front of the cot, standing at attention. That tone of voice only came where big trouble followed.

"What is the meaning of this?"

Abbas Amo, the head priest of the brotherhood heard all of the commotion and was now smartly striding into the room with his hands behind his back. His tall, plump, grandfatherly figure misguided most, for as he loved the two boys dearly, he remained firm and harsh when warranted. He stopped in front of the two young monks, and glared at them, his gaze moving from one to the other. Silence rang out through the room as the two held their breath in front of their mentor, unsure of what doom impended.

"I found out that I could become invisible, Abbas Amo, by mistake," Said Koli, unsure how to explain the odd phenomenon. "Jalaphar was so confused and I found it humorous," he hesitated. "I couldn't contain myself."

Abbas's eyes softened upon hearing Koli's young, innocent voice. Much of the world still eluded Koli; he did not yet have the scars that most monks of age sported.

"Koli," he said in a gentle voice, "your powers grow stronger by the day. You see this. You may not know the full breadth of what you are capable of, but this fact makes it even more important that you are fully in control of the aspects you are capable of manipulating-" he glanced over at Jalaphar.

"Such as discipline, and control over your emotions," Abbas Amo said in a sharper tone. "Both of you should have known better- especially you, Jalaphar. You are almost eighteen years old, both of you! You know what that means."

"We will be eligible for our combat comprehension," Jalaphar said in a somber voice.

"That is right. You will both be eligible to go on missions for the brotherhood. There is no room for undisciplined, childish shenanigans." His tone changed from scolding to teaching. "That sort of behavior will get one of you killed."

Koli peacefully sat atop the canopy in the Dheathain rainforest as he meditated. The sight of an endless carpet of treetops as far as the eye could see with the dawn sky in the background brought relief to Koli's troubled mind. After renunciation of his previous life, he had no clue what to do or where to go. He sought the most desolate, hostile lands and lived there simply to prove to himself that he could overcome hardship in the face of grave consequences. Someday he hoped to live in Fallien, and eventually walk the Tular Planes. Eventually he would find a peaceful mountaintop in the Alerarian Mountain ranges to live out the rest of his days. The world didn’t need him, so why did he need the world? He survived in every climate for extended periods of time. Nobody would miss him, so he would continue to live undetected by the world except to nature.

And then he heard it. Pain. Distress. A simple cry for help. Perhaps he heard an auditory hallucination- his mind, playing tricks on him.

But then it came again.

Koli roused himself from his meditative state and slid off the branch he rested on, swiftly snatching the canopy cantilever, and using his momentum to swing himself away from the tree. The monk grabbed a green,fibrous vine and used it to slow his descent, as he swung towards the direction of the distress. He continued for about a minute until he saw the source of the commotion. Ten humanoids occupied a small clearing where two paths crossed, one man on the ground, cuts and bruises all over his body, and nine other lizard-like men around him. He slid down the bottom of a vine and launched himself at the nearest thug, falling about fifteen feet and breaking his fall whilst still undetected.

Koli noted where each attacker stood, conjured himself a long staff, and engaged. He worked swiftly and silently, picking the assailants off one by one; they looked like some sort of draconic species, but they still had pressure points like every other humanoid. Thanks to sensitive nerves and soft spots, six of the lizard men lay unconscious and 2 had fallen into an eternal sleep in a matter of seconds. Their leader beat down hell and fury on the young man in a sort of blood lust, completely unaware of his surroundings. He sent a flurry of strikes and blows to the young man’s head in particular, and stomped down on his limbs. Koli looked at the draconic figure and studied him, looking for a weakness. His scaly skin peeled up around his neck showing open wounds.

Koli raised his staff and brought it down on the open area in his neck, knocking him to the ground. The drakari rolled over and sent a kick up towards Koli's face. Koli took a quick step to the side and grabbed the leg of the leader. He lifted his elbow and brought it down on the knee of his enemy, snapping it. The drakari screeched in pain, the scream ringing out throughout the forest. Koli lifted his foot and brought it down on the leader's head in a vertical stomp. The leader joined the unconscious.

The monk looked over at the boy, laying almost lifeless on the cold hard ground. His body was beaten, scarred, and bruised. He felt pity for the young man groaning in pain. Koli walked forward, stepping in front of the boy.
    Last edited by Koli; 08-21-2023 at 10:46 AM.

Adventurer

GP

Name
    Gavner Nahs
    Race
    Vampire
    “Uncle Gavner!” Espoir shouted as she ran down the walkway to Black Shadow’s house. About five years ago, the vampire and his friend acted as diplomats between a warring kingdom of elves and dwarves. On the journey, an unfortunate event occurred and the two adventurers found themselves with responsibility over an orphaned baby. Black Shadow adopted Espoir, and both he and Gavner raised her. Gavner traveled much more frequently than Black Shadow, however, so Shadow was her primary guardian.

“Espoir!” Gavner exclaimed as he scooped her up in his arms. “Wow you are getting so big! Did you miss me while I was gone?”

“I missed you so much!” She said with the biggest smile on her face.

“”So what are we tonight?” The vampire asked.

“I’m a dragon!” She shouted.

“A dragon!” Gavner shouted. “Ahhhh! Look out it is a dragon!” He picked her up and held her over his head by her hips as if she weighed nothing. She spread her arms to the side and held her legs straight. Gavner ran around with her, making swooping and swishing noises as she excitedly squealed in delight and flapped her arms and pretended to breathe fire.

“Let me hear you roar!” Gavner said.

“Roar!”

“Let me hear you roar!!”

“ROARR!!!”

“Ahhhh so scary, we are all going to di-”

Gavner stopped in his tracks as he looked down and saw Black Shadow directly in front of him with his arms crossed, and the biggest look of disapproval in his cold dark eyes. The vampire quickly put down Espoir who hid behind Gavner’s leg and peeked out from behind with a loud giggle.

“Espoir,” Black Shadow signed, “You should be in bed.”

“I’m sorry daddy, I just heard you guys coming back and I got excited to see you!” Espoir replied. “Can I stay up with you? Please daddy?”

Gavner looked at Black Shadow. “Please daddy?” He pleaded.

“It’s past your bedtime,” Black Shadow insisted, “But since Uncle Gavner is home, ten more minutes.” Espoir squealed in delight and the two continued to play, Shadow joining in as well.

After ten minutes had passed, Espoir was too tired to continue and she let Gavner carry her to bed. The two adventurers tucked her in and said goodnight.

“We are going away for a few months, just like I was telling you earlier,” Black Shadow signed to Espoir, “You have your bow, right?”

“Yes daddy.”

“And you know where Uncle Mavrik, Uncle Gavner’s brother lives, right?”

“Yes daddy.”

“You are going to be staying with him while we are away. He will be here tonight to look after you, and he will take you back to his place tomorrow. If you miss home you can ask him to come back here, and you guys can live at home for a few days, he knows and is okay with that.”

“If I miss you can I sleep in your bed?.” Espoir asked, visibly sad but trying to look strong.

Black Shadow’s posture declined. Seeing Espoir visibly unhappy at his leaving always hurt him on the inside. He faced Espoir and removed his black mask. Gavner quickly averted his gaze as not to see his best friend’s face. Shadow had made it clear that he didn’t care if Gavner looked on his face, but Gavner still refused to do so out of respect for his friend. The vampire took several steps backwards so that only the back of Black Shadow’s head was visible.

“Yes, of course you can,” Black Shadow signed, as he leaned in to hug his daughter. “Hey, it’s going to be okay,” he signed, rubbing her back. “Uncle Gavner and I will be back before you know it.”

“I know,” she said trying to hold back tears, “But you’ve been gone for so long, and you just came back. Now you’re leaving again.”

“I know,” Black Shadow replied silently, “But after this journey, it will just be you and me for a long time. Nobody will bother us except for Uncle Gavner.”

She sniffled, large tears now rolling down with Black Shadow’s black shirt sucking them up into a dark wet spot. He rubbed her back, letting her cry for a few minutes. He pulled away and looked down into her little eyes as he continued to rub her back.

“Remember how much fun you always have at Uncle Mavrik’s?” Shadow signed with one hand. “You can go shoot your bow with him, and climb trees, and even play with Gavner’s baby wolf cub Eva.”

“Eva is going to be there?” Espoir said with a small smile.

“Of course,” Gavner chimed in. “She has actually learned telepathy, so you can talk to her and see things she feels.”

Espoir smiled and the color returned to her face.

“I love you,” Black Shadow signed as he gave her a hug.

“I love you too daddy,” She said. “Uncle Gavner?”

“Yes Espoir?” Gavner said with a smile. He came to the side of the bed and leaned closer, taking care to not look in Black Shadow’s direction.

“Why are your teeth black?”

Gavner chuckled and kissed her on the forehead. “I will tell you when you are older.”

“Okay,” She said, “I love you Uncle Gavner.”

“I love you too little one,” Gavner replied as he gave her a hug. He said goodnight and left Black Shadow and Espoir alone for a while, waiting out in Black Shadow’s kitchen in the meantime.

Black Shadow came out of Espoir’s room after a few minutes, and Gavner kept his back to the door until he felt a hand on his shoulder. Looking behind him, Gavner saw that Black Shadow had his mask on once again.

“Thanks,” he signed to the vampire.

“Do not mention it,” Gavner said with a warm smile. “So what is the plan?”

“I told her that I would spend the day with her and leave tomorrow night for Beinost,” Black Shadow replied. “She was pretty upset.”

“You are always a pushover for her,” Gavner said, giving his friend’s shoulder a playful punch. “Daddy’s little girl.”

Shadow gave Gavner a playful shove, but forgot his own strength and pushed Gavner through the kitchen wall and backwards onto the ground. In an instant, Black Shadow helped Gavner up and back into the house.

“Yeah, I’m gonna fix that tomorrow…” Shadow signed as he gave the wall an embarrassed look.

“Very well,” Gavner said with a smirk, brushing himself off. “I will meet you in Beinost, and we can look for a voyage then.”

“I’ll see you there.”

“Are you sure this is the place?” Gavner asked as he and Black Shadow walked through the wooden door to see a small bar to their left, and a staircase to their right. “It looks more like a whorehouse than an inn.”

Shadow raised his eyebrows at Gavner and shrugged. The tavernaster pointed them in this direction, and he didn’t think that man lied, especially since they tipped him so well.

The dark elf who tended the bar looked at the travelers as they approached him. “Need a room?” she asked. “Or two?”

Gavner and Black Shadow looked at each other. “No,” Gavner said, “It is not like that, we are not… together…”

“Mmmhmm,” the bartender said, pursing her lips.

“We are actually looking for somebody who has a room here,” Gavner said.

“Really,” The dark elf said. “Who are you looking for?”

“A captain Jack- er… Callahan…” Gavner hesitated.

The dark elf stared at the two adventurers and raised her eyebrows.

“No, it is not…” Gavner stumbled.

“Look, what you guys do in your free time is none of my business,” She said shaking her head. “The captain is in room 213.”

“Thank you,” Gavner said awkwardly. He tossed a few marks her way and the two adventurers went upstairs.

They made it to the captain’s room just as a tall human brunette exited, buttoning up her shirt. She looked at Gavner and Black Shadow and rolled her eyes as she pulled out a handful of marks and counted them on her way out. Gavner hesitated, reluctant to touch the door. He rubbed a spot on the wood with his sleeve before knocking.

“Back for more I see?” Came a gruff voice from within. “Just couldn’t get enough of the ca-”

The door opened and a tall shirtless man appeared. He had black hair with streaks of gray, and copious amounts of chest hair. He was clean shaven, and stood about six foot four.

“Sorry,” he said upon seeing Gavner and Black Shadow, “I’m not into your.. Type.”

“No,” Gavner said, “We heard that you captain a merchant vessel? The RS Eluriand?”

“You heard right,” He replied, “Only the finest ship to sail the seas.”

“And you make the voyage to Dheathain?” Gavner asked. The captain hesitated.

“Why don’t you gentlemen come in for a moment?” He beckoned the two travelers in and shut the door. He asked them to sit down and retrieved a pipe which he lit and started puffing on. “What business do you two have in Dheathain?”

“We- er…” Gavner hesitated, looking to Black Shadow who nodded his approval for Gavner to continue. “We are looking into geneology of a family member, and we have a lead to Dheathain.”

The captain raised his eyebrows. “This family member must be important to you.”

“She means the world to us,” Gavner replied.

“You know that the inhabitants of Dheathain are not in the least bit tolerable of outsiders, right?

“Yes, but-”

“I don’t think you do,” said the captain, looking at Black Shadow. “The locals attack all foreigners on sight. The Drakari are extremely territorial and Xenophobic.”

“Yes, we are aware.” Gavner replied.

“Dheathain is exceptionally inhospitable to… your… kind,” The Captain said, looking at Gavner. “The sun’s rays are five times stronger than normal in Dheathain.”

Gavner narrowed his eyes. “How do you know…”

“Please,” The captain scoffed. “You think I don’t know a vampire when I see one? The cape, the fangs, the black teeth, the sharp nails? Your blazing eyes are the first thing I saw. I know how to spot one of you.”

Gavner shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

“You needn’t worry,” the captain added, “One of my very close friends is one of your kind. I’ve taken him on this voyage many times.”

“So we can pay for a voyage?” Gavner asked.

“Well, I do have a favor to ask of you,” The captain said. “One of my sailors is intrigued by your… gift.”

“You want me to blood one of your sailors?” Gavner replied.

“Honestly, no. I would see that the lad stayed human. But this is his choice to make. Will you talk to him, and help him see if this is the way for him?”

Gavner smiled. He remembered when he first gained the gift of vampirism. “Of course. I will talk with him.”

“Thank you,” The captain said. “We get underway to Corone after we finish onloading the cargo. The ship should be stocked by midweek, so in about three days. We sail at dawn, so show up at dusk and we will make final preparations.”

“Corone?” Gavner asked. “I thought we were going to Dheathain?”

“We are,” The captain responded, “But it is not lucrative to go directly from Raiaera to Dheathain. Raiaera has more exports sought after by Corone than Dheathain, and Corone has more exports sought after by Dheathain than Raiaera does.”

“Xzcunge,” Gavner cursed under his breath.

“Take it or leave it.” The captain said.

“We will take it.”

“Good!” The captain exclaimed standing up. “We will see you midweek then.”
    Last edited by Gavner_Nahs; 04-29-2020 at 04:14 PM.

Innocence & Instincts

EXP: 29,359, Level: 7
    Level completed: 30%, EXP required for next Level: 5,641
    Level completed: 30%,
    EXP required for next Level: 5,641

GP

Name
    Black Shadow
    Race
    Human
    Black Shadow stared into the horizon. The deep blue sky seamlessly transitioned into the cool blue ocean, not a cloud in sight. The view captivated Black Shadow’s eyes. The sound of waves always calmed Black Shadow. As a child his older brother would take him sailing, teaching him how to navigate the ocean. Shadow’s brother was more a father to him than his own dad. His father blamed him for his brother’s death, and his own father ordered his execution.. Black Shadow spent his days searching for relief from this pain, but it never would dissipate from his mind. The memories burned their way into his mind, never to be forgotten, always to resurface when he least expected.

“Excuse me sir.” A voice called out, catching Black Shadow’s attention. “Are you the one traveling with the vampire? Vir Fortis has asked for his attention.”

Black Shadow turned his head to see a man walking towards him. The man was tall, about 6 feet 6 inches tall and at least two hundred fifty pounds. The man clearly kept himself in shape, ready to fight at a moment’s notice. A scimitar gleamed at his hip, polished and well taken care of, but clearly used many times. He wore a white shirt, long brown parts, and black boots.

Black Shadow was unsure about where Gavner was, but the vampire often took refuge below deck out of the sun. The sun scorched Gavner’s skin, leaving massive burns on the vampire, and too much sun would kill him. Black Shadow simply pointed towards the stairway below deck and turned back towards the ocean, his way of telling people to leave him alone. Most men rarely left Black Shadow alone after his silent gestures, but to Shadow’s surprise the man disappeared as quickly as he showed up.

Hopefully this Vir guy doesn’t have an issue with Gavner. Black Shadow thought to himself. I don’t want to have to save him again. Black Shadow paused a few moments, taking another deep breath, smelling the unforgettable scent of the ocean. Salt water and seaweed comforted Black Shadow in an odd way. He's a vampire, he can take care of himself. He thought as he continued to stare into the unknowns of the open sea.

The ocean waves roared against the hull of the ship, drowning out the busy sounds of the crew around Black Shadow. When he returned from this mission perhaps he would purchase a boat of his own, and teach his daughter how to sail. Espoir loved adventuring, seeing the world, and learning about new people. She possessed a natural ability to remember and recreate experiences, excelling at anything she sets her mind to.

Oh Espoir, I can’t wait until i return home. Black Shadow thought to himself, his mind drifting off into another daydream.
    Last edited by Black Shadow; 04-29-2020 at 12:08 AM.

Adventurer

EXP: 7,337, Level: 3
    Level completed: 59%, EXP required for next Level: 1,663
    Level completed: 59%,
    EXP required for next Level: 1,663

GP

Name
    Drake
    Race
    Spirit
    "Uuuuuuuuuhhhhnnnn," Drake groaned as he rolled onto his side, blood oozing from his nose into a sticky coin sized pool below.

Drake's body ached all over from the beating, and his head throbbed in splitting pain. The scene around him darkened and flickered back into view as Drake faded on the brink of unconsciousness. He kept replaying the attack in his head over and over again. A whirl of green from the forest floor flashed as he was taken to the ground. His vision flickered black and red as the Drakari kicked and bludgeoned him until suddenly, everything stopped.

A pair of feet settled directly in front of his face. Drake winced, closing his eyes in anticipation of the blow. None came. Drake opened his eyes and followed the basic moccasins up the person's legs to see the gaunt, short face of a hooded man. He had a red cross branded on the center of his face, the top of the symbol trailing from the apex of his forehead down to the bottom of his chin, and the cross beam extended from cheekbone to cheekbone. He wore a dirt stained white robe, and had irises of pure white light, almost as they glowed with starlight.

Drake rolled onto his back, but this only aggravated his wounds. When he drew in breath, his lungs seared. He started to cough; something stuck in his throat. Perhaps mucus? This mucus tasted bitter and metallic though. He turned his head away from the mystery figure and coughed out blood which dribbled from his mouth and onto the ground. The young angel gave a shudder, and faded from consciousness into the icy abyss.
    Last edited by drake; 08-21-2023 at 11:18 AM.

Adventurer

EXP: 6,985, Level: 3
    Level completed: 50%, EXP required for next Level: 2,015
    Level completed: 50%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,015

GP

Name
    Koli
    Koli lay on his cot, staring up at the ceiling. Commotion from the mead hall in the nearby town carried through his window, echoing off his stone walls.

"Poor fools," he muttered to himself. "Only living for the weekend... What kind of life is that?" These men didn't know if they would live to see next week, and so they indulged in sinful pleasures- always seeking satisfaction, but never finding any. They incessantly threw pleasures into a bottomless pit in attempts to fulfill themselves- to achieve some form of completion before their departure from this world...

But even they didn't know they felt that way.

Koli simply understood people-even as a boy. He specialized in reading motives, thoughts, feelings, subtle body posture, and diction. Most of the time, he knew more about his friends and colleagues than even they knew about themselves. He always knew how to make others feel better, and others loved him for it. His fellow monks in training always sought his advice- even the senior 17 and 18 years. Koli's age mattered not, for Abbas Amo said that he had wisdom far beyond his years

So why couldn't he help himself feel better?

Koli looked down at the boy who lay at his feet. The monk shook his head soberly to himself. This boy, not much older than 19 years old, now lay on the ground, beaten on the verge of death. Bending down, Koli picked up the youth and gently slung him over his shoulder. He had heard of a port city not too not far away, and he could seek refuge there to tend to this boy's wounds.

The priest took a deep breath and closed his eyes, grounding himself to the world before starting on his journey- absorbing the energy that the environment offered him. He breathed in for three counts, held his breath for two, and exhaled for four. The second time he breathed in, his chest and mind swelled in satisfaction- a third breath, and then a fourth. Koli felt as though nature was dumping pure, clean water on him from all sides, which his spirit drank in voraciously. His spirit merged with the world, the environment manifested in his mind as though he truly looked upon his surroundings. The green canopy above, the loamy dirt path beneath his moccasins, and the vines hanging down from the canopy. Everything gleamed with shimmering beauty and vibrated, teeming with energy. And in that moment, Koli too vibrated in the same way, finally charged and ready for his journey.
    Last edited by Koli; 08-21-2023 at 10:48 AM.

Adventurer

GP

Name
    Gavner Nahs
    Race
    Vampire
    "Xczunge!" Gavner cursed out loud. He loathed the sea. "I swear this damn ship will be the end of me!"

Gavner hunched over a waste barrel with a splitting headache. Another wave of acid hit his stomach and he felt the last bit of lunch make its way into the barrel.

“Great,” the vampire seethed as he retched, gouging new grooves in the side of the empty oats barrel with his fingernails, “Juuuuust great. A mighty general who has commanded a legion of vampires in battle- now reduced to a seasick fool who cannot even raise a fist,” he grumbled to himself. “Can this day get any worse?”

Just then the ship listed almost 45 degrees, and splashed the mixture of partially digested dark elf blood and clam chowder from the barrel all over Gavner’s face.

Groaning in defeat, Gavner wiped the sick from his mouth and face with a rag he found laying around as he withdrew from the barrel and slunk back to his rack. The passenger berthing was relatively unoccupied; apparently not many people were making the voyage to Dheathain this time of year. Or ever. Collapsing into his hammock Gavner stared at the ceiling. He attempted to sleep in vain; his pores were oozing with toxins and he felt worse than death.

Footsteps echoed on the deck, and Gavner glanced through the dark towards the noise. Even though the sickness dulled his vampric senses, he could still make out the sound of boots against wood about thirty yards off. Gavner distinguished the figure of a tall, muscular, clean shaven sailor approaching Gavner's hammock. Lacking the strength to entreat the sailor, he simply laid in his rack until the figure towered over him.

"Sir, are you the other vampire on deck?" The man said in a deep voice. Gavner hesitated, and looked puzzled at the sailor. Callahan failed to mention that the entire crew knew of his vamprism. “It’s okay, the only thing we care about on this ship is coin. We would give voyage to a Demon Lord, so long as he was peaceful and could pay his way.”

"I am," Gavner managed to croak out.

"Vir Foris wishes to speak with you. I am afraid his last moments draw near." Gavner thought for a few moments.

Vir Fortis, Gavner thought, That name sounds familiar…

"Very well," Gavner said, "Where might I find him?"

"He is in the outboard most hammock on the starboard side of the berthing. I suggest you hurry sir." The sailor said as he turned and departed.

Gavner stirred and forced himself out of his hammock, stumbling over shoes and trash on the floor. Gavner made his way through the empty hammocks to the starboard side of the ship until he spotted an occupied one. As he approached Gavner heard shallow, ragged breathing coming from the mass.

"Vir Foris?" Gavner said as he approached the vampire. Vir turned his head with great effort and looked up at Gavner.

"Come closer, my boy." He wheezed. Gavner knelt down beside the hammock and looked at the dying vampire.

"You requested my presence, sir?" Gavner asked in his weakened voice. He was making every effort to remain stable in spite of his throbbing head.

"Indeed. Tell me, what is your name?"

"I am Gavner Nahs, of Clan Anoterish. What might I address you as, sir?" Gavner replied.

"Nice to meet you, General," Vir replied and began to cough. "I am Vir Fortis, Prince of Clan Durus."

Gavner felt stupid as the information set in. Clan Durus remained the only vampire clan in Dheathain, and one of the most renowned, senior war princes of the clan had entreated Gavner’s company.

"Sir, I am at your service." Gavner said as strongly as he could.

"Please, call me Vir," The perishing prince said. “I am a mortal, just as you are. We are not on the battlefield, nor are we in the clan. We are equals here.”

“Very well Sir- Vir,” Gavner corrected himself.

“Now to the task at hand,” Vir said weakly. “I am going to die before we make port, and I want you to send a message to my clan in Dhethain. With me gone, the clan needs another prince to fill my place. Tell the other princes that my vote goes to Wester Yirvik. He may seem small, but he is wise far beyond most in the clan."

"Very well sir," Gavner said. "As a general gives his oath, it shall be done.”
    Last edited by Gavner_Nahs; 04-29-2020 at 04:14 PM.