I paused for a moment as I surveyed the class, set there before me in their tiered rows. Sixteen rows of around fifty students, some in my class because they were genuinely interested in the subject of Pre-History, others there simply to make up credits, because my lonely subject was thought of as 'easy’ and ‘just full of an old demon talking about his ancestors and shit’. It was true I was a fair marker, and for those who did not want to try hard, they could learn the basics of my subject in a day. But for those who were intent - those who I now saw leaning forwards and fixing me with keen intrigue - my subject was an oyster of pearls, waiting to be opened.

“Now Theoretical Physics is not my area of expertise, as you know, however when one considers what Pre-History is, there are these kinds of questions that ultimately will be asked. The very fact that there are no Old Gods alive, only those who knew them, such as the Thayne, makes the study of it all the harder, thus connections to subjects like Theoretical Physics are important, and will improve your understanding of the deeper meanings in this subject. Theory is the first basis upon which many facts are built, and so, when you consider it, these sort of subjects are in fact integral into comprehending life itself.”

A young drow - most of my students were drow due to where I lived and taught - placed her hand in the air. She sat in the second row from the front and had a bluish tint to her pale hair that matched her unusually indigo eyes. Easily, she was one of my favourite students, and instead of a designation I allowed her name only. Ayna Faruna, she was called, intelligent and enthusiastic.

With a nod, I allowed her to speak.

“Professor Rivers, you taught in Akashima correct?”

I nodded, “Before I came here, yes.”

“Is not there a tradition in some of their beliefs that allows for karma to exist. Good and bad, positive and negative. When one is made, another is also to balance?”

I paused, “In … some manner of speaking, yes.” Internally I grimaced: it was a very poor explanation for the theory.

“Could it not be theorised that that is an example of perhaps how things came to be? Of how things that do not fit in Master Zi'Tau Menzies’ theory came to be? It fits with the pretense that the Old Gods helped to makes everything from nothing. That in fact their willpower created good karma, that created matter.”

There was a pause before a reply came from across the room. “That’s a stupid idea!” Irritant Number One cried out loudly.

I looked over to him, blinking, before I gestured, inviting him to go on. “You have a reply to Miss Ayna, Mister Franko?”

“Well yeah,” the boy leant forwards onto the desk, pulling his body partly onto it so he could peer around better and fix Ayna with a firm glare. “Willpower and karma is a theory. Energy isn't.”

“I'm sorry, what were you championing at the beginning of this lesson?” Ayna remarked, “wasn't it the Theory of General Energy and Matter - no?”

Irritant number One stuck his tongue out at her. “Idiot.”

“You're the idiot, idiot.”

I raised my voice. “Hey! Hey!” I looked at both of them, one after the other with stern eyes.

They looked around at me, and the room fell silent with all fifty odd of my students. Brows rose, the sun patiently streamed through filtered blinds of the lonely, narrow windows at the top of the walls. Some of them blinked in its bright light, but still they stared at me, as I held their capitated attention for a single, strange moment.

I paused, drawing myself up with pride. “Theories can be validated by fact. They are, however, the process for many universal truths we hold. Tomorrow we will discuss this in more detail.”

For a while longer I held here suspense. Franko scowled.

“Class dismissed,” I finally said.