“Other details …” he murmured, bringing his goblet to his lips. “I think it will be easier for all of Mer is sent away.”

Stare blinked, thinking of the elf, bastard daughter of the de facto queen of Raiaera, who lived in Vitruvion's mansion and had originally been hired as Stare's apprentice. For two weeks or so now she had been doing Stare's business management work on her own.

“Is she not useful?” Stare was surprised to hear herself champion the woman, though she was not the greatest fan of her. “She's … doing everything.”

“Stare, we both know perfectly well Mer intends on proving herself as your replacement. With the recent progressions, her arrogance has only grown. Yes, she has her usefulness, and her advantages, but with the considerations of the dangers that we face …”

“But the businesses ..”

“Can cope themselves,” he replied. “You have handled them well this past year, teaching valuable skills to the managers. If there are emergencies then I will visit, but it must be a new era for them.”

“What about the mansion?” Stare asked, sitting up somewhat.

He peered down at her. “If it is necessary, we will close it up, for now, telling the household to return to their homes, giving them a stipend. Many noble families have other homes, to which they reside at certain times of the year.”

“Radasanth,” Stare murmured. “And your mysterious tall house.”

“Indeed.” Vitruvion drank back. He drained his goblet, then took a moment to adjust his hold on her as he leant forwards, taking her briefly with him. Setting his goblet on the ground he allowed her a rest bite of setting her own goblet on the floor before his arm pulled around her waist again. A slight, meaningful nudge and she could adjust to his desire to relax once more. Together they settled back down, his posture less stiff and her feet now curled beneath her body.

“One question,” she asked suddenly. He raised an eyebrow and looked sideways at her. “Am I still technically your employee? Do I have a salary still?”

He pursued his lips a moment and frowned slightly. “Well, I have not arranged for your monthly salary to be cancelled or altered in any way. I do not see any reason to cease it's transaction.”

“I did not know with the change in circumstances …” she shrugged a little. “You would take it as an excuse to save money.”

“I've never been an overly scrupulous person, Stare,” he replied, “In fact I am sure I pay most people too much, there was a comment one of the guards made …” he frowned a little. “I am 'overtly generous’?”