EXP required for next Level: 5,641

GP

Name
    Black Shadow
    Race
    Human

The Climb (Solo)

(Solo)

Silence echoed throughout the typically crowded tavern known as Dead Man’s Drink. Hundreds of mercenaries, assassins, and other less honorable men spent their free time drinking away their lives in this bar, but today was different. Three men inhabited the tavern at the peak of the night; The bartender, the serf, and a man garbed in all black with a beautiful ebony bow at his side.

Black Shadow leaned forwards in his chair, pulling apart his bread. His mask covered the top portion of his face and his dark hood shrouded his eyes completely, hiding his true identity from the world. He sat in silence, taking a swig from his tankard of the notorious Dead Man’s Drink, an alcohol so potent very few could survive more than one shot.

A cold wind swept through the tavern as the door swung open. A lanky scholar awkwardly walked through the doorway.

“Good evening” He said, lifting his hat to the bartender who did not acknowledge the man.

He stood still for a second, staring at the bartender, expecting a returned greeting. The scholar removed his coat and hung it up by the door before making his way to the edge of the tavern. He sat across Black Shadow, who continued to enjoy his meal. The waitress approached the man to take his order, gently smiling.

“I’ll take a large glass of Goat milk, please, and one order of potato bread.” The scholar said, handing the waitress ten gold pieces. “You can keep the rest.”

Black Shadow looked up at the man, an obvious bookworm. He gave the scholar a look of annoyance before continuing to eat his food.

“You’re the one they call Black Shadow, aren’t you?” The man asked.

Black Shadow paused and looked up at the man, eyeing him carefully. He placed his bread down and slowly reached to his hip, placing his hand on his dagger. Very few people knew Black Shadow, and most who did wanted him dead.

“You must be, my sources have never let me down.” The man continued. “My name is Professor Feurstein, it’s nice to meet you.” Feurstein said, holding his hand out for a handshake. Black Shadow did not move a muscle, staring into the professor’s eyes. Silence rang out uncomfortably long before Feurstein continued.

“So, you don’t really talk much. That’s okay, I don’t need you to talk anyway, just to listen and agree to help me.” The professor continued. “I study geological activities, more specifically specific anomalies in the geological development. Recently there has been a series of earthquakes and glaciers along the Dagger peaks and Twilight Peaks. These earthquakes are happening more frequently and appear to be stronger where they meet with the Kachuk Mountains.” Feurstein explained. Black Shadow took his hand off his dagger at his hip and leaned back, listening carefully.

“My colleagues and I want to spend time in the mountains to study the activity and attempt to solve the mystery. We would normally make the journey to one of these anomalies ourselves, but we cannot fight of the predators of the mountains alone. That’s where you come in.”

Black Shadow leaned forward and rubbed his fingers together, seeking compensation for the journey. The professor stared confused, trying to understand Black Shadow’s silent gestures. Black Shadow shook his head and stood, not wanting to take the job. He turned towards the door and took one step before Feurstein reached out and grabbed his arm.

“Please. My informant tells me you are the best. It pays well, I promise.” The professor pleaded. Black Shadow turned back to the professor and pulled out a gold coin, rubbing it between his fingers. “payment, yes, payment. Here.” The professor said, pulling a small bag of coins from his hip. “Here is 1000 gold pieces, consider it an advance, and there is ten times this amount for you if we make it back safely.”

Black Shadow grabbed the gold from the professor’s hand and counted the gold. He looked up and nodded in acceptance.

“You’ll do it? Oh, you won’t regret this, thank you for your help.” The man said. “My team and I will meet you at the start of the Niadath Pass in Raiaera in three days’ time.”

Black Shadow nodded and sat back down in his chair to finish his meal while Professor Feurstein left Dead Man’s drink.

What have I gotten myself into?
    Last edited by Black Shadow; 06-15-2020 at 08:53 PM.