EXP: 3,232, Level: 2
    Level completed: 42%, EXP required for next Level: 1,768
    Level completed: 42%,
    EXP required for next Level: 1,768

GP

Name
    Aribus (Dracon) Wren
    The bitter lady interrupted “I’ll be your servant.”

I shook my head “Nope, I don’t want you around me, you free five of your serfs.”

She shook her head “No, a year of your service isn’t as valuable as even one serff.”

I smirked, and chuckled my way through “So you think your sponsored man will lose?”

She was caught, her mouth curled into an unpleasant snarl, and she promptly agreed “Five serfs! My champion will win. Nobles know better than commoners this will show you.” If this lady knew half of what she thought she knew she would not have been so rash, and been smrt about her betting she would not have dug herself so deep.

It was about then that I noticed the older gentleman that had been speaking with me for the last several days was not in the Inn, and most likely gone after he gave my money back to me.

Shortly thereafter the final bout began, Morigan knew his opponent, and did not move toward him. In fact he nonchalantly made his way to an edge of the fighting ring, and leaned against the post.

Rick was incensed “Aren’t you going to fight old man?”

Morigan turned around, and rolled his spear in his hand, and replied “A dumb bully like you? Why waste time?”

Rick went scarlet “What did you call me!”

Morigan chuckled “I called you a dumb bully, now I’m calling you a fat pig.”

Rick the dumb oaf fell into Morigan’s trap, and charged full sprint wrecklessly swinging his massive club in a downward swing, that Morigan saw coming from a mile off, and easily side stepped. The club smashed through the fence posts, and Morigan finally picked up his spear, and hit Rick in the back of the head with it hard enough to make anyone’s ears ring.

Rick ripped the club from the rubble of the fence, and gave a wild swing causing Morigan to step back, and well away from the monstrous club. Rick the big dumb oaf, was big, and dumb, and fat, and unless he was his fights with in the first few moments he would tire easily.

After another energy devouring swing, Morigan began picking Rick apart. First the hand gripping the club had its wrist broken with the back side of Morigan’s spear; then Rick’s thighs were stabbed in quick succession causing Rick to fall to his knees screaming in pain, tears welling up in his eyes in fear. Now at almost any point in this fight Morigan could have killed Rick, but instead Morigan showed a cruel mercy, he rared back, and swung the haft of his spear into Rick’s jaw knocking teeth out, and Rick the dumb oaf fell unconcious.
    "By any stretch of the worlds view I am a monster. But sometimes, more than they want to admit, the good people of this world need a monster to do all of the things that they're too afraid, or ashamed to to themselves, to cross lines they can't, to enter the dark places they wont because they are afraid of the corruption they might be subject to. I am that monster, and I plan on being the most dangerous monster that many will meat."

Adventurer

GP

Name
    Aribus (Dracon) Wren
    Morigan thrust his spear into the ground, and shouted “DAMN!!” Then in a quieter Now I’ve gotta take care of a pile of land, and serfs that go with it. I’m never going to get to go hunting ever again.” Everyone had a good chuckle.

Everyone made their way back to the Inn insisting that Morigan pay for the drinks. I couldn’t really argue.

When we did get to the Inn the bitter lady was there it looked to be another verbal sparring match about to happen when a few men unknown to the rest of the town entered, they had grim faces, armed with arming swords, and wearing tabards featuring the sigil of a fox carrying a rabbit over a set of half plate armor, on a dark red background. The sigil of Duke Richard Northon, one of the five dukedoms that make up the kingdom, a very prominent, and powerful individual, that commoners like myself, and Erick were very unlikely to see up close.

One of the guards pointed at me, and said “come with us” I decided it best not to argue. I was taken to Malory Castle. I was taken to an antechamber off the main courtyard. There was no sign of the baron that ran the castle which intrigued me. Once I entered I found a seat, and waited patiently. A few minutes later a middle aged gentleman with a trimmed salt, and peppered beard with more salt, hair was still an auburn color with tinges of grey on the sideburns, and he wore a tabard with the same fox sigil, he was armed with a mace, and lightly armored. I smiled at him in an instant, and gave him a dancers bow.

He smiled at me, and asked “May I have you name son?”

I was still grinning “I’m Conrade Ramsay, my lord.”

He nodded “You are quite the astute man Mr. Ramsay. Might I ask how quickly you had me pegged for not being a commoner? What gave me away?”

I replied “within about a minute. Your smell mostly gave you away, the fact that your clothes weren’t stained, or tattered, little things that added up.”

He nodded again, and plucked at the hairs of his beard “I see, did you know that you were the only person here that figured me out? That impressed me, it was not a test but it impressed me nonetheless. Furthermore your handling of Lady Rebecca while unfortunate was still skilled; she had one trick, you recognized it quickly, and stepped into it but not before setting up a way to mitigate it by getting her drunk, and being seen by everyone at the Inn. The second time was more straightforward but nevertheless you handled it well, and out maneuvered her into releasing five of her serfs plus a considerable amount of money. You dealt her a financial blow that will take her some time to recover from, effectively rendering her impotent if only temporarily.”
    "By any stretch of the worlds view I am a monster. But sometimes, more than they want to admit, the good people of this world need a monster to do all of the things that they're too afraid, or ashamed to to themselves, to cross lines they can't, to enter the dark places they wont because they are afraid of the corruption they might be subject to. I am that monster, and I plan on being the most dangerous monster that many will meat."

Adventurer

GP

Name
    Aribus (Dracon) Wren
    He went on “I am of the firm belief that with the right support an intelligent person can be incredibly dangerous. To that end I have an offer for you. I am prepared to elevate you to the level of a minor lord, the same as Morigan the hunter, with comparable lands that he’ll receive for winning the tournament.”

I was astonished at the offer, and I let out a heavy overwhelmed sigh. That was an offer of a lifetime, and I meant to take it. I replied though “I am not exactly a politician, and I’m unfamiliar with the nobility thing. But I’ll take up your offer.”

The Duke smiled “Excellent I will explain things more after the awards ceremony. You will be my personal guest at the lord’s table, and I will make you a lord under my patronage when the baron makes Morigan under his.” With that I was excused until the feast that went along with such tournaments.

Later that afternoon I found myself sitting at the lord’s table across from Duke Richard, and Baron Dunken Hill. There was roasted chicken, and a fatted calf, bread of every kind, multiple wheels of cheese, fresh fruits, and vegetables, wine, beer, and brandy, and more. I liked tournament feasts.

It didn’t take long for the bitter lady to discover me, I was alerted to her presence when her voice rang out “You are not supposed to be here! Leave now, or I will have you put in stocks.”

To which Baron Dunken replied “Mr. Ramsay is a guest at this table along with the Duke.” And Duke Richard replied “Lady Rebecca please sit down, and be silent.” She sat down, and spent the entire feast just brooding no longer able to even enjoy being drunk.

Finally as the sun was beginning to set the Baron Dunken stepped up to a podium, and called Morigan up to it, and had him kneel asking “Do you Morigan swear by the four elements that you will first serve the people under your lordship, and to serve your patron lord should the need arise?”

Morrigan nodded, and replied “I so swear.”

The Barron then nodded, and finished “Then I under the authority vested to me by the king, and four elements name you Lord Morigan. Please rise.” As Morigan did, the crowd cheered.

Then Duke got the Barons attention, and asked to make an announcement which the Baron allowed. The Duke came up to the podium, and began “Lord’s, and Ladies, Commoners, and Serfs I am Duke Richard Northon, second cousin to King Edward Braily. Over the past five days we have celebrated martial, and physical prowess, and have rewarded it with title, and lands. There for it’s only right, and fitting that mental prowess should also be rewarded. Thus it’s my pleasure to call Conrade Ramsay to come forward.”

I stepped forward, and kneeled when instructed to, and the Duke asked “Do you Conrade Ramsay swear by the four elements that you will first serve the people under your lordship, and to serve your patron lord should the need arise?”

I replied “I so swear.”

Then the Duke followed up with “Then I under the authority vested to me by my cousin King Edward, and the four elements name you Lord Conrad Ramsay. Please rise, and enjoy all rights, and privileges thereto pertaining tf your position.”

I rose, and the crowd once again cheered for me as well, well everyone except the bitter lady, she was staring daggers at me. I ate, and ate until it felt like my stomach was about to burst, and drank more than I ate or at least I thought I did.

Administrator

EXP: 10,042, Level: 4
    Level completed: 21%, EXP required for next Level: 3,958
    Level completed: 21%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,958

GP

Name
    Tyr Vythari
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Thread Title: Conrad Ramsay: Chapter 1: The Tournament, Gentleman, and Bitter Lady

Judgement Type: Basic Rewards

Dracon receives:

1,122 EXP
    156 GP

Rewards Added
    Last edited by Tyr; 01-07-2021 at 07:17 PM.