Level completed: 99%,
    EXP required for next Level: 52

GP

Name
    Felicity Rhyolite
    Race
    Neanderthal/ Human Hybrid

View Profile
    "We so close ta' Skavia. That damned church nev'r 'elps us. A drake 'as b'n wan'd'rin' teh close ta' town. Kill it, I'll git' yur' map."

So, here I was. In the middle of the night. In a flurry. How fun.

The snow half blinded me and the wind chilled me, even with my winter gear. Holding my talymar war bow, Seeker, I snuck up to the entrance of a small, shadowed cave etched in a lonely, large boulder. I had gathered enough information on this species of weaker drake. I knew how to take it out.

This fight would end quickly. Not that I did not hate it out here though.

I cupped my free hand and whistled, the sound drowning out of whirling winds. As the sound echoed across the endless snow banks, I heard a reptilian hiss from the cave.

Yes. Come out!

I reached into the quiver on my belt, grasping one of my redwood arrows inside. My magical affinity flared; I saw the spark of light in the undying darkness. I leapt aside, sliding my boots in the snow. A flare of trailing fire flung out towards the location I had been in a moment earlier. I could see the beast clearly now. A wingless, bipedal beast twice the size of Dheathian's komodo dragons. I plucked my arrow out and placed it in Seeker's string. The long necked lizard reared its head up. Beneath the outer, hardened white scales was the tender blue underbelly and exposed chest. That was my target.

I drew Seeker back, taking aim at the animal. I let go of the arrow, reflecting on my end goal. For Whitevale...

The arrow easily pierced the drake's heart, killing it instantly.
    Last edited by Flamebird; 02-16-2021 at 09:29 PM.
    "I can't be proud of anything. I am ashamed of everything."

"I gave my heart, my allegiance, all my energy for this and got nothing but ashes in return. What on earth did I do to deserve being chewed and spit out like this? Time and time again, it's all the same."

Felicity Playlist.

Nuclear Rage

EXP: 64,948, Level: 10
    Level completed: 99%, EXP required for next Level: 52

GP

Name
    Felicity Rhyolite
    Race

View Profile
    "I'm going to offer him a deal, out in the open."

Huh?

"The contract is that he gets my body, you two live and he walks out of here."

What?

"But here's the thing; once he's in one place, in one vessel..."

Wait...

"... you get him..."

No...

"... and put an end to all this."

No!

"Not again!" I shrieked, only to be hit with waves of dissociative confusion. I was nestled in the cradle of a rock, huddled within mounds of sleeping bags and spare clothes. Cold sweat coated my frame as I looked up at my extended hand, which just brushed the tiny roof of the rock's crack. Still, the desperation, insanity, and denial flooded me.

"Not..."

I panted.

"... Again?"

I looked around. The cave - well, crevice - had clear sunlight bathing the constricting grey stones in warmth. Warmth was a rare thing in Salvar. Two weeks of traveling had proved that. It was a blessing to have a warm fire. I had not risked lighting a fire outside this tiny hole. It could have attracted wild animals, robbers, or even the witch hunters. I struggled to get up, a shirt falling from my leg to my neck. After some struggle, I clasped the rocks guarding the hole the sunlight shone in from. Beyond the rocks, I had piled my bags over the entrance to prevent wind and snow from blowing in. They had done the job well. Pushing a bag off the mound, listening to the sound of my clanging belongings, I finally peaked my drowsy head out of the pathetically small hole I had slept in last night.

I was at the edge of a cluster of large, grey boulders. Snow was piled on top of them, making them appear even higher than they actually were. Down the rolling hillsides of pure, white snow was the path. According to the map, I was exactly on course.

Down the path, close enough to get a good look at, was another settlement. Far more populated, dignified, and well cared for than the trash heap I had gotten my map from. I had avoided most towns and cities, still terrified of the church somehow catching me. Unfortunately, I was almost out of water, one of my swords needed sharpened, and I had torn one of my fur boots on a prickly bush several days ago. The tear was growing every day from lack of maintenance.

I managed to pull my muscular, big boned body out of the hole. I heard a snow falcon cry in the distance as I shivered. Feeling that familiar cold wind, the first time this morning, I bent down and started pulling all my blankets and clothes out. I knew I needed to go to the city. I had to. Of course, knowing fully well that the Church of the Ethereal Sway would be present, I was flooded with anxiety.

I would have to be careful.
    Last edited by Flamebird; 02-16-2021 at 01:51 PM.

"I gave my heart, my allegiance, all my energy for this and got nothing but ashes in return. What on earth did I do to deserve being chewed and spit out like this? Time and time again, it's all the same."

Felicity Playlist.

Nuclear Rage

GP

Name
    Felicity Rhyolite
    Race

View Profile
    For the first time in weeks, I actually tasted coffee.

Bringing the creamer flooded travel mug to my lips, I got whipped cream on my face as I walked through town. I was surprised over how smooth this went. I had taken care of everything on my list, plus more, without a hitch. Thank the Thaynes for heavy, covering clothes! Even when I brushed my arm against a sharp table edge in a store earlier, it barely pierced the arctic skin or removed tufts of fur. I licked my lips, happy to make way through town towards the exit.

Hammer's Blunt was a far better of an establishment than that trash town from weeks back. The streets were made of cobblestone, some shattered but most in good shape. Snow and mud made the roads slippery and slimy, but that was something I was used to. The stone buildings, with tile roofing, were lined with blue township flags, official church flags, and nationalistic banners. It was hard to believe Hammer's Blunt and Ice Peak's Tip were in the same country! It was potent, smelling horse dung and delicious baking breads at the same time. I brought my sweet hazelnut coffee to my nose and focused on sniffing that.

Downtown, I had stepped away from the busy market. I had been pointed towards this direction for the south gate, my ticket out of here. The insulated two-story buildings loomed over me. Small crowds were clustered here and there, dressed in winter garbs. From a square window above me, a teenage girl merrily shouted down to a lover, who listened as he polished the doorknob to their house. Taking another sip of my coffee, I was relieved that some people in this country had a good life.

As I continued on, however, the atmosphere changed. Shouting resounded from the curved street corner. The raised voice, as if making a speech, commanded revered stillness across the entire block. Some girls were gossiping in hushed tones, but most people were respectfully quiet. Most of the people on the streets were eagerly walking towards the voice, though some walked away.

I used my free hand to adjust one of the bags on my shoulder as I strained to hear. Eventually, the words were audible.

"Behold! Our allegiance to the wisdom of the Ethereal Sway guides us! We follow the light and purity of their standards!"

Oh no...

I turned the corner. A crowd made it hard to see much. A magnificent feudal chapel towered above the rest of the two-story buildings of the block. Lost in the crowd, a priest shouted as monks circled the praying crowd. My hand shook in fright, forcing me to hold the mug with both hands.

"We must rid ourselves of impurity! We can heal ourselves from disease with the Sway's power! Those cursed with the wretches of magic, let us cleanse you of your woes! Seek forgiveness, be healed, and bathe in the approval of our spiritual gods!"
    Last edited by Flamebird; 02-17-2021 at 12:12 PM.

Felicity Playlist.

Nuclear Rage

GP

Name
    Felicity Rhyolite
    Race

View Profile
    The crowd was large, and all wrapped up in the priest's chanting. Adjusting my hat, I walked close and veered towards the edge of the crowd. I felt my heart pounding. As the priest continued his sermons, I squeezed my coffee mug. It was cold, but I was sweating.

Still, I was lucky. I made it to the other side of the crowded area with no notice. Freedom was near! I just needed to walk down the rest of the street, then I was safe.

Then, white robes jumped in front of me. I stopped abruptly and looked up. Garnished in religious trinkets, another priest stood in front of me. His tall, colorful hat was a tower blocking my way. He clasped his hands together, "Child, why such a hurry? Are you not intrigued by the Ethereal Sway's blessings?"

I might as well have been somewhat honest. "I'm not from around here and need to get home. I'm in a bit of a hurry here."

The priest slowly, steadily blinked. "Ah, yes. The rushers. They go to and fro without stopping to observe the Ethereal Sway's teachings."

I don't worship your stupid Ethereal Sway! "I really need to go, sir."

I felt the pressure of the crowd behind me, and the towering priest before. Claustrophobic, they pressed in under the Cathedral's looming dominance. Would my secrets be discovered? My head whirled. I felt light.

The priest leaned in, a little too close. I took a step back as he spoke, "I sense tension, child. Do you hide your sins?"

"No." I barked, panting, "I need to go!"

The priest leaned closer. His breath was warm and uncomfortable against my neck, "You hide. You run. But you cannot escape the shadows of your forbidden powers. Run while you can, for we hunt the unrepentant."

I dropped my mug. The coffee splashed on the ground and his robes. He was unmoved, he just glared into my very soul.

How does he know!?

I ducked and veered, kicking the empty mug. As voices berated harshly behind, I ran as fast as I could towards the city gates.
    Last edited by Flamebird; 02-27-2021 at 12:02 PM.

Felicity Playlist.