Felicity Rhyolite
    Race
    Neanderthal/ Human Hybrid

View Profile

When Fate's Strings Are Pulled

When Fate's Strings Are Pulled.

[Closed to Leoric. Sequel to Batten Down the Hatches.]
    "I can't be proud of anything. I am ashamed of everything."

"I gave my heart, my allegiance, all my energy for this and got nothing but ashes in return. What on earth did I do to deserve being chewed and spit out like this? Time and time again, it's all the same."

Felicity Playlist.

Nuclear Rage

EXP: 64,948, Level: 10
    Level completed: 99%, EXP required for next Level: 52
    Level completed: 99%,
    EXP required for next Level: 52

GP

Name
    Felicity Rhyolite
    Race

View Profile
    Felicity Rhyolite stepped out of the shop.

The Coronian district of Bradbury was known as a district of orchards, but this port town gave little hints of that. Even deep into the town, Felicity could smell fish and sea water. After spending about a month sailing from Salvar to Corone, Felicity was getting quite tired of the scents of the sea. Shaking her head, Felicity stepped into the cobblestone road. The simplistic, wooden houses and shops were set up in a way to encourage tourism. Since stepping onto the docks, the half-neanderthal had been bombarded with pyramid schemes and gift shops. Felicity had coin to spend, she had recently been paid handsomely for defending the ship here. Yet, Felicity had decided to spend her coin on more useful resources.

Felicity had no need to eat, she produced energy with her magical affinity. Strangely, however, she found her senses of magic were dimming. Was she so used to sensing magic that she was growing desensitized? Or was her magical affinity weakening? A cut Felicity had gotten on her ride here also took longer to heal than usual. Still, Felicity could sense the magical energy of the many travelers around her. That, and Felicity still had no need to eat. Not needing to eat eased her travel plans a lot. Aside several water skins to quench thirst, Felicity had needed to buy little for her long walk to Whitevale.

Felicity merrily twirled around in the street, getting a feel for the new gambeson she had just bought. Made of vlince, the comfortable armor piece was black with gold trim. She could easily unbuckle it and detach her sleeves. Of course, it was the month of August. The breeze from the sea cooled things down a bit, but Felicity knew she would be keeping the gambeson tucked away in her luggage. As Felicity pulled her gambeson off, revealing her simple white shirt, her new trident parrying dagger bounced on her belt. This prevalida weapon, simple yet strategically elegant, was a lucky find! Felicity had also bought a steel switchblade stilleto. She kept it tucked where most girls kept their coin purses. With the gambeson, Felicity had bought several headbands. She had recently been called out for her sail of a head, and now she was more concious of it than ever. She had a packet of multiple headbands in her luggage now, and currently wore a black one.

The streets were actually tame. It was the heat of summer midday, and even the tourists were seeking shelter and shade. Felicity shoved her gambeson into her larger bag and pulled it over her back. She would need to find a resting spot as well. She adjusted her headband and got to it. Walking down the road, back sweating from the heat, Felicity looked up to the sky. A volcano eruption last year had disrupted crop growth with the thick ash clouds in the sky. This year, however, Felicity was happy to see that those clouds were finally rolling away. She usually hated summer heat, but Felicity gladly welcomed the burning sun today.

Felicity walked next to bath house and noticed a familiar figure. She was bound to see him around town, but this sight just disgusted her.

Leoric!

One of the most confusing people Felicity had ever met. The redhead remembered that they were on the same boat from Salvar to Corone. Leoric had insulted her one moment, then complimented her the next. He helped her sharpen her unarmed fighting skills, but also tore her down with his harsh jokes. He was one of the only men who had ever complimented Felicity's eyes and hair. Yet, he had also mocked her wide forehead and laughed at the four digits on her left hand. He... confused her... Especially since he had directly told her he liked her. So why had he been so cruel?

Well, another piece to the puzzle was right before her. Two women checked him out as he spoke with them. Felicity's heart leapt when she remembered how he said the sweetest things about her hair. Now, she knew he was a womanizer. Felicity rolled her eyes as she watched him enter the bath house with the giggling women. Oh, this made perfect sense. He had probably complimented their hair and eyes as well, without the added insults. Felicity adjusted her headband again, trying to cover more of her forehead.

Felicity was so glad she would not have to deal with that jerk anymore. Why was she so concerned about that immature man child? She had far more important things to worry about. Now that they were on land, she was more than happy to part ways with him. She gritted her teeth and turned to find the nearest inn or tavern.

When the day cooled, she could finally return to her home town of Whitevale and leave this all behind.
    Last edited by Flamebird; 03-24-2021 at 12:51 PM.

"I gave my heart, my allegiance, all my energy for this and got nothing but ashes in return. What on earth did I do to deserve being chewed and spit out like this? Time and time again, it's all the same."

Felicity Playlist.

Adventurer

EXP: 12,641, Level: 4
    Level completed: 73%, EXP required for next Level: 1,359
    Level completed: 73%,
    EXP required for next Level: 1,359

GP

Name
    Leoric Blackwell
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    What had it been? Three weeks stuck on the open sea? The only way to refresh yourself was a bucket of warmed water to stop you from smelling like unwashed smelly feet after a long day in a leather boot. One of the first priorities was obvious, Bathhouse, and if it happened to offer ‘additional’ services then he may as well use what coin he had just gotten from the ship to get himself in tip top shape before continuing the rest of his shopping trip.

“Leo! You just got back in?” a voice called out from nearby as he pulled on the reins to stop the horses as he looked to his right.

“Vincent! Lovely seeing you again. What are you up to?” The sea weary brawler asked as he shifted in his seat to look at his favorite ‘Gopher’ in town.

“Oh you know just enjoying the new business and surviving the usual ruffians as i travel.” he chuckled as he took a step up onto the cart so him and leoric were more eye to eye.

“Oh? You of all people own a business now? What is it? Vincent’s Vacant Views?” Leoric exchanged a hearty chuckle as his back twinged that quickly caused him to grab at his back.

“Well not quite a Vacant view, it is quite occupied, the old owner of your favorite bathhouse and brothel was retiring, and cause i normally ran the errands for him and helped run it. He offered it to me.” Vincent proclaimed proudly.

“Well then, i was already heading that way to freshen up and ‘empty the tank’ of all that buildup from the sea. And maybe some relaxation for this damn back of mine.” he winced as it twinged again as he turned around to sit straight at the front of the cart.

“Getting old there friend? Well regardless the bathing is on the house, any additional services you know the usual fee.” Vincent shifted in his seat to start and get down from the cart.

“I actually got a gift for you, but how about we get to your bathhouse, park up the cart and feed the horses and I will hand it to you as we head inside?” Leoric just ignored the getting old comment, after all he was going to need to send Vincent on a few errands as he relaxed in the bath. It didn’t take long for the people leoric usually visited in town to hear he was back and waved excitedly as he rode past them. Vincent helped leoric get the cart and horses behind the bathhouse and in a secure location. Leoric grabbed a singular bottle of Amber glow from one of the two large crates, and handed it to Vincent as they walked around and inside the Bathhouse.

“That, my friend, is the finest booze i have ever tasted, a Salvaran specialty. I got a few bottles when I was over there so I can try and convince my local bar to start trying to get regular shipments of it for me. Enjoy a glass of once i am done getting pampered yeah?”

Vincent’s eyes grew as leoric spoke, he normally could only afford the moose piss that the taverns had locally, he could never afford a whole bottle of anything, let alone something specialty.

“Of course i will save the first glass to share with you! Do you need me to get you anything while you are getting washed up?” Leoric smirked as Vincent asked the question he always did and Leoric handed him a slip of paper and one of his pouches of gold. They had a rapport that leoric trusted and so didn’t mind handing over a full satchel of gold to get everything needed.

“Make sure it gets stored on the cart yeah? Oh and make sure no one steals anything either, i would really hate to have to go hunt anyone down.” as those words finished coming out of his mouth the door to the bathhouse opened and two familiar ladies were standing there in fine dresses, they weren’t gorgeous dresses, but for this type of port town? They were fine enough.

“Well, you don’t have to hunt far handsome, as I am sure you already know you stole my heart long ago.” Leoric chuckled as he turned and faced Arabella.

“Well, at least I know who stole my breath, I will have to get you back for that one my sweet. And don’t think I have forgotten you either Alura, the Allure of your eyes is always irresistible to a man after three weeks at sea.” Leoric flashed his cocky grin at the other lady just behind Arabella before he turned back around to Vincent. “Well looks like you got your list of things to do, and i got my ladies to do.”

Before Vincent could say or do anything the two ladies grabbed leoric and pulled him inside the Bathhouse, it would be a few hours before he would leave the bathhouse again. But this time, his shoulder length hair billowed in the wind freely and a gorgeous silky smooth, his beard that was long and ragged, was now beautifully trimmed and cared for. His clothing was washed and hung up to dry, and they even augmented his leather jacket to be a leather vest. He took in a big breath of fresh air as he did the last few errands he needed to do himself before heading to his usual tavern for the night and leaving at the crack of dawn the next day.

--------------------------

As leoric walked inside his usual tavern a lot of the patron’s recognized him as they were regulars themselves. The bartender and barmaids were always happy to see Leoric. He flashed them all a cocky grin and a wave as he slapped four gold coins down on the bar as he passed it and sat down in his usual corner booth. A barmaid quickly brought over two mugs of ale.

“Your usual food then handsome?”

“Yeah that would be fine Lucy, Thank you!” he flashed her a grin as he leaned back, ran his hand through his now silky smooth hair, let out a large sigh and began to drink the ale that was in front of him.
    Last edited by Leoric; 10-21-2021 at 05:26 PM.

Nuclear Rage

EXP: 64,948, Level: 10
    Level completed: 99%, EXP required for next Level: 52
    Level completed: 99%,
    EXP required for next Level: 52

GP

Name
    Felicity Rhyolite
    Race

View Profile
    Fanning herself with her hand, Felicity muttered crossly as she stalked towards the inn. Tugging at her gambeson's neck, she pushed open the door to the inn. She immediately was greeted with the aromas of sweet foods and drinks. The desire for something sweet and cold took her mind, and she strangely was uplifted by the thought. She walked over to the counter, luggage rattling, and placed some coin on the counter, "Do you have milkshakes?"

The bartender looked up from wiping the counter and nodded.

"Great!" Felicity beamed, "I'll take a large strawberry milkshake, large chocolate milkshake, a container of whipped cream, and a large empty stein."

"Sure thing." He put down his wash cloth and took the coin, "You have family coming later?"

"Nah, it's for me."

"I'm hungry."

Looking as if he was worried for her sanity, the bartender turned to get her order. Felicity tapped her foot waiting. She reached up and waved, "Oh! A room too please! One night."

"Room six is yours!" A key was slid to her by a barmaid at the counter. Felicity swiped the key and immediately headed for the room. After tossing her luggage on the straw bed, she turned and looked the door. Stuffing the key into her pocket, the redhead walked back to the tavern floor. Her prevalida sword, Splicer, was still at her waistline. Her new switchblade was hidden where most girls hid their money or perfume. After being given her treats, Felicity turned around with a smile - only to frown. For who sat in the corner drinking? None other than Leoric Blackwell.

A hiss escaped her lips as a couple passed his table, eagerly greeting him. She heard two men talking from the table, "I can't believe he's back! Wonder what ol Leoric has been up to?"

Shock and disdain flooded her being. People here liked Leoric? Why!

"Why on earth would anyone like that jerk?" Felicity muttered beneath her breath, "All he does is insult you."

"What are you talking about!" Felicity turned to see a young teen sitting at a nearby table, eating soup, "He's one of the most compassionate and caring people I've ever met."

"WHAT" Felicity shouted in shock, almost dropping her tray, "All he ever did was insult me!"

The boy scoffed, "You must've deserved it."

Now Felicity was angry. Her face was red at the accusation. Sure, maybe she deserved to suffer for her mistakes long ago, but she had done nothing to Leoric to merit the treatment he gave her! Throwing the tray down to the table, she spat, "I had not even said a word or looked at him before-"

"-Oh, go away!" The teen scowled, moving his half spilled soup closer to himself.

Felicity scowled bitterly as she swiped her tray and scuffed her boots along the room. She inadvertently found herself standing before Leoric's table, wondering why on earth she chose this spot. More cross than ever, she sat down with a heavy this and immediately worked at her frozen treat. Picking up both milkshakes, she started pouring both into the stein, hoping the treats would lighten her mood once she tasted them. Feeling unfairly treated and wretched, she fumed in her rage as she sat across the table from one of the most selfish, rotten people she had ever met.

Felicity Playlist.

Adventurer

EXP: 12,641, Level: 4
    Level completed: 73%, EXP required for next Level: 1,359
    Level completed: 73%,
    EXP required for next Level: 1,359

GP

Name
    Leoric Blackwell
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Leoric chuckled when he heard the yell from his former ship mate, he knew she would be in town for a day or two. But to end up at his favorite place? Karma was cruel to her that day. He finished off one of his drinks and when he removed the mug from his view to put down on his table. There she was, scowling and begrudgingly sat down.

“You know, If sitting with me is such a bother, there are plenty of other tables you can sit at you know.” He smirked as Lucy, the barmaid, brought over a platter of food, containing juicy haunches of mutton, boiled and mashed potatoes, some gravy, and an assortment of vegetables that the barkeep grew out back. “This looks delectable as always Lucy, Thank you.”

Leoric sat up right and grabbed his utensils, he was now back home, he did have to behave. After a few bites into his meal he began to notice the smells of the tavern growing more odorous as more food was cooked and more sweaty, greasy men came in from working the fields or guard finishing up their patrols. But this stench was something Leoric very much enjoyed. It was the smell of civilization, the smell of hard working folks making a living.

It wasn’t long before a few young adults came over to the table, ignoring the new redhead in town and began asking Leoric a ton of questions.

“Did anything fun happen? Any pirate attacks? What about sea monsters?”

Leoric Chuckled as he put down his utensils and flashed a quick smirk at Felicity. “PIrates who wanted my head! Attacked our ship, nearly scuppered us! But if it wasn’t for our quick thinking, they would have sunk us and I would be a floating leo popsicle right now!”

“Our?” one of the lads said.

“Yes, Our, I may be strong and quick, but this time even i needed help. And thankfully she had my back.” Leoric motioned to his table companion before continuing. “And of course, I got what I needed and got out before the church knew I was there. And I managed to get these cool devices out of the whole ordeal!”

“Ohhh! What do they do?”

“They are called Mobility Assistance Devices. Or M.A.D for short, and for what they do? Well” Leoric aimed his M.A.D at a cup of ale freshly placed on the bar top and fired off the dart, it quickly connected and pulled it to him rather quickly. As he caught it, it sloshed all over but with a quick flash of magic in his eyes, the liquid spilling over was quickly caught up in a blast of wind and deposited back into the cup.

“Woah! When can we go on adventures with you?!”

“Once you guys can take a few of my punches and hit me with a few. You know the deal, find me in new Brookeshaven when you are ready to try or train.”
    The young adults were about to say something when two Guards came into the tavern and called out for Leoric. The moment he noticed who had called him, his demeanor shifted. He was no longer sitting up right and pretending to be ‘proper’. His eyes narrowed and his pupils dilated, he knew trouble was about to be presented to him. And he needed to focus on what was about to be said.

“Leoric! Thank the Thayne you got here when you did. We recently had several children kidnapped from town, several of them have returned but there is still an Orphan left out there, we can’t afford to send any guards to go get her. And you are the only one we know of that could handle this.”

“I just sat down to eat my meal, I haven't even finished it yet. Give us the details as I eat will you? Leoric said with a jovial manner, half joking to try and ease the tension in the room.