Adventurer

EXP: 5,090, Level: 3
    Level completed: 3%, EXP required for next Level: 3,910
    Level completed: 3%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,910

GP

Name
    McKinley JoAnne Parish
    I couldn't rid the shake of my hands as I walked into the ballroom, Adrielle quickly gripped my hand but I pulled away quickly. "Sorry..." I mumbled under my breath. The ginger haired girl smiled happily and shrugged with ease. My heart galloped wildly against my breast bone, I hadn't gone to a large gathering in years, I was a wonder these days, playing my music and avoiding human interaction at all cost. But here I was, Adrielle had received the invite from a lord that had fancied the look of her, pairs were encouraged and the poor girl thought it a good idea that I accompany her. Quickly I turned as if I were going to flee from the place but the girl that had decided to pity me ever since she met me gripped my shoulder with surprising strength. My brows drew together as I tried to shake her off but still she held me in place. "McKinley you promised..." She almost seemed to whine.

Sighing I turned and gave her a pointed look, "I take back my promise," I grumbled.

"Oh no you don't I spent hours on your hair and had to bargain for that gown you are wearing, we are at least doing a lap around the room!" She moved her grasp from my shoulder and gripped my wrist tugging me along.

Quickly I had to steady myself, almost tripping over the blue ball gown that I wore, the thick layers of tulle under me easily getting caught in the heeled shoes I wore. I mumbled under my breath but allowed myself to be dragged into the room, dodging any human contact at all cost. I pushed one of the curled locks that had been left down, out of my face.

Adrielle held part of her dress up to avoid tripping on it as she stirred us towards the dance floor. Had I not been wearing heels I could have stopped her from pulling me into the crowd of bodies twirling around to the rhythm of the music. "Adrielle, no." I said firmly, finally freeing my wrist from her grasp. Groaning she shrugged and pulled the closest single gentleman towards her and twirled off.

With a sigh of relief I moved back to a more recluse position in the ball room, with a shaking hand I took the glass of wine that a butler had offered me, putting it to my lips and taking a greedy drink. "What the hell did I get myself into?" I mumbled under my breath.

Newcomer

EXP: 80, Level: 1
    Level completed: 4%, EXP required for next Level: 1,920
    Level completed: 4%,
    EXP required for next Level: 1,920

GP

Name
    Fae Ellanor Valeaux
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    I’d slipped into an almost comfortable little sleeve of existence, keeping subtly to the shadowy corners, watching the beautiful gowns and stately suits as they danced and conversed and glittered in the beautiful room.

Until one approached me.

I used to trade stories with the inn keeper on the road to the coast; fanciful tales of stately princes and mythical beings, the kind of story that belonged in a book of fantasies. Yet, in a dark suit, with silver hair, and a gait befitting royalty, a man emerged from the crowd…

… making a beeline for me.

My heart raced, my breath catching in my throat as he reached me, and I clumsily curtseyed in response to his stately bow. This was the one that had sent the invitation? This visage of a man with a voice like smooth whiskey and honeycomb?

Half of his face remained shrouded by some intricate mask, where my eyes remained as he spoke.

“Th-the pleasure is mine, Sir,” I stumbled, pausing to recollect myself, “you’re… the one I’m to thank for the invitation?”

I felt my fingers fidgeting nervously at the skirt of my dark gown, the rough fabric course under my fingertips. With a grimace, I forced them to be still, but at the same time, I felt my gaze hone in upon the man before me. There was… something, a nagging sensation, at the base of my skull. No, I thought to myself, oh no, no, please no, not here

Swallowing, I blinked back the thoughts,

“I’m afraid… you have me at a disadvantage, my lord.”

Newcomer

EXP: 40, Level: 1
    Level completed: 2%, EXP required for next Level: 1,960
    Level completed: 2%,
    EXP required for next Level: 1,960

GP

Name
    Adrielle

View Profile
    Adrielle had grabbed the man without even asking for consent, she fled from the comrade that she had come with. The only sense of guilt she felt was that she knew McKinley was too shut off to the public to even try and mingle. She had done her civic duty and gotten her there the rest was up to the skaeth. Her purple dress flared out, the daring neck plunge stopping in the middle of her navel. She gave herself a moment to glance up at the brute she had grabbed, noting that he seemed to appreciate the dangerous neckline of her dress as well. Her warm brown gaze drank in his features, handsome in stature and physic, maybe even in wealth by the fine garbs he wore. His hand was strongly rested on the curve of her hip while the other clasped her hand firmly.

She allowed herself to feel the confidence that she had never felt before, until a few mere months ago she was just a lab subject. Now she was at the luxurious ball she could have even dreamt of. Crystal chandeliers hung from the tall ceilings, casting a glow on her fiery locks that swayed with the movement of the two bodies in sync.

The two spun and twirled, him dipping down lower, the ends of her hair almost grazing the marble floor. The mysterious lord danced with such skill that it had almost left her breathless. When the song had ended, they both turned and applauded the band of their skilled music before she turned back towards the man.

"I am sorry lord for my abruptness, I found myself swept up in the contagiousness of the splendid music. I never caught your name, I am Adrielle." She gave him a shallow curtsy. "And your name?"
    Last edited by Adrielle; 03-26-2021 at 02:21 AM.

Administrator

EXP: 87,404, Level: 12
    Level completed: 81%, EXP required for next Level: 2,596
    Level completed: 81%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,596

GP

Name
    Lichensith Ulroke
    Race
    Human
    His open hand remained as she struggled to find her words. The eyes behind the mask narrowed in the slightest in response to her unease. With a flourish, Lye retreated his arm behind his back and pulled in a long breath. Green eyes traced the woman from her head to toe and two slow strides placed him at her side. She rose as high as his shoulders and while the two shared a similar fair complexion, their attire formed a stark contrast in volume. Despite this, Lye stood tall and calm with his attentions occupied with the undulating sea of the unsuspecting.

"Yes," he replied after pause. "What better event to learn about a fair, mysterious lady than an elegant ball?"

As he spoke, the sight of his will picked out several other targets of interest. He laid eyes on the redhead from earlier. The killer found it impressive to see her socializing after her first life taken. So fiery and youthful, but naïve. She spent a moment in the presence of a man who shone like roaring flame in the glow of what does not belong. Jade and emerald irises became slits and gloved hands tucked behind his back balled into fists.

'She keeps dangerous company it seems,' Lye noted to himself. Curiosity lingered at the back of his mind, but remained there as he turned a glance to his company.

"I will be honest, I half expected you not to show." A pause followed another, softer smile. "But I am glad that you did. I imagine you may have some questions."

He redirected his attention outward from their small nook of isolation. This time, his second sight pulled his attention to a small congregation. The figure in the middle struck a symphony of memories good and bad. With a huff of amusement, Lye sought to make direct eye contact with the man from across the room. The assassin raised gloved hand toward his forehead and delivered a casual salute of acknowledgement to non other than Tobias Stalt. Those in his company also held an air of caution.

'I wonder what misery and mischief you cling to now a days, Stalt,' rang the thought in his head.

"But we have the whole night to discuss," Lye continued with little sign of interruption. The bait of answers dangled so freely in the air. He turned again to her. Closer than before, he looked downward to meet her gaze and again extended his open hand. "Would you let this humble lord have a dance with you, m'lady?"

Valeaux... A name that carried enough weight to be notable to the loyalists which still served as his eyes and ears. Before him stood the daughter of a man tried and executed by agents of the Church. Those same agents now stood among them either as peace keepers, passive guests, or hunters seeking to rid the world of magic. The realm of nobles proved to be a place where rules of the land bent to their influence and a thin veil of protection hung on those in attendance. For one of the Church to take action in a place like this would surely stir praise or condemnation. It was that very thin line of uncertainty behind which Lye knew he had safety from impending conflict. Like wagging a steak to a hungry dog locked behind iron bars-- within sight but not within grasp.

And he loved it.

As for the Lady Fae, her presence with the seasoned spymaster afforded a much greater protection, for all eyes looked to him. To them, she looked the part of another poor soul tangled in the web of his madness. Despite her proximity to danger, no other place in all of Salvar could provide greater sanctuary.

Newcomer

GP

Name
    Lord Iverstread
    Race
    Salvic
    The music siphoned gently through two massive oaken doors. The Lord of the manor stood just behind them with his eyes affixed as though he could picture the ballroom floor filled with people from near and far. Equal parts of hope and dread beat in his chest.

"M'lord?" asked one of two servants to his side. Their hands rested on the handles awaiting his command. He nodded and the light of the ballroom washed over his angular features.

Lord Iverstead stepped forward to the railway overlooking the ballroom's expanse. He stood tall in his lavish attire. Gold filigree accented fine silks and thick vlince. His frame spoke toward a man who not only oversaw a massive Salvic estate, but knew the trials of the battlefield. Rich, dark locks of voluminous hair framed his darker complexion. Soft, blue eyes stood out against his militaristic appearance and posture. A scar over his cheek and nose told a tale of hardship from the ages of his youth. Eyes fell upon him one by one until the musicians halted their tune. Their attention belonged to him.

"Welcome." His voice carried over a hushed crowd like the soothing, low thrum of a cello. "It is a pleasure to see so many of you accept my invitation to Iverstead Estate. I, Felix James Iverstead the fifth, am humbled."

His arm pulled across his chest, and he bowed to those beneath him. Some among the crowd lowered their heads in response. Those of his servants that tended to his guests all bowed and curtsied in reply. Lord Iverstead rose.

"This night marks the two hundred and thirty second Banishment of White. Tonight, we welcome a season of health, harvest, and prosperity free from the icy grasp of the North. Unlike previous Banishments of White, I have opened my home to noble and common alike. Tonight, I ask you see each other as equals."

The statement stirred low chatter from the attendees. The Lord focused his gaze on the other six lords in attendance from the neighboring estates. If looks could kill, Iverstead's chest would have a half dozen arrows suddenly sprout from his chest.

"Tonight, my home is yours. My servants will see to your needs. Do not hesitate to make use of them as your own."

Again, those in masks decorated with raven feathers bowed and curtsied.

"Some of you may notice that my side is vacant," he stated with a gesture to the lack of anyone to either side of him. "I have been without company for some six moons. Tonight, I look to stand on equal ground with the rest of you. I look to fill these vacancies with laughter, smiles, and life. These cold, Salvic winters take so much from our people..."

His strong, soothing voice trailed off. A moment of silence stung those who understood the depth of his pause.

"Tonight, Iverstead Estate will look to the coming season with charity and hope. Tonight is about giving, living, creating new memories. Memories I hope you may cherish and look back upon as a guiding light long after darkness falls."

He caught himself in the weight of his own thoughts and shook his head with a hearty laugh. The steeled expression gave way to a warm, genuine smile.

"That's quite enough." He gestured a white glove toward the musicians with a nod. "Let the festivities resume."

Music again filled the massive chamber and servants busied about with platters of refreshment and appetizers. As the buzz of the night worked its way back into a fervor, the Lord of the Estate descended the stairs and joined the crowd below.

Newcomer

EXP: 25,219, Level: 6
    Level completed: 75%, EXP required for next Level: 1,781
    Level completed: 75%,
    EXP required for next Level: 1,781

GP

Name
    Jasmine
    Aiden, youngest son of Jasmine and Zerith, pulled uncomfortably at the collar of his dark blue doublet. Fancy shindigs were not his idea of fun. At least, not ones this fancy. Jasmine lightly smacked his hand away as she quietly fussed about her teenage children.

“Leave it alone, AJ. I don’t want to hear any complaining. You all but begged me to come along. Well, now you’re here. I did try to warn you this was going to be particularly formal.”

Zevernus, the elder of the twin boys, grinned mischievously at his brother, “You thought you’d do like you do here and sneak off to the kitchens to flirt with a kitchen maid. My, my, whatever will your precious Serena think about that?”

AJ scowled at his brother, “You wouldn’t dare!”

“Wouldn’t I?”

“Stop it, both of you!” Siela stood near the door, resplendent in a gown of green, trimmed in white and silver. Her dark brown hair was piled atop her head in an elaborate nest of curls studded with pearls. “Are we ready yet, Mother?”

AJ & ZJ grinned wickedly at their sister, “Why are you in such a rush, sister dear? Are you that eager to break a Salvic noble heart?”

Siela opted to ignore the barb. Jasmine took one last look over her children and nodded. She had chosen a gown of deep blue trimmed in silver and opted to wear her hair down. It fell in soft waves to her hips, pulled back from her face with a small sapphire and diamond encrusted clip. As a sign of her station in life she also wore a circlet set with three small sapphires.

“Yes, we are ready. Remember, Salvar prohibits the use of magic. Keep your abilities to yourselves.”

“Yes, ma’am,” Siela and AJ responded. Of her three children, they were only two that had shown an affinity for magic use. Siela was not likely to even need her magic, but AJ could often be something of a showoff with his ability to change his appearance.

A few moments later, the family found themselves in the grand ballroom of the Lord Iverstead. With a curt nod, Jasmine released her children to their own devices. She swept regally toward the refreshments.

I wish Zerith had come, she thought morosely. These things aren’t quite as much fun by myself as they used to be.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dracosius; 03-26-2021 at 03:32 AM.

Viator Mundi

EXP: 155,108, Level: 17
    Level completed: 18%, EXP required for next Level: 14,892
    Level completed: 18%,
    EXP required for next Level: 14,892

GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Telgradian

View Profile
    The one thing that distinguished Shinsou from others was his ability to plan.

The plan had always been to extend the reaches and influences of the Brotherhood onto the international stage. As with anything in history, be it a business or an empire, expansion only came when all of the correct pieces fell into place at the correct times. Having had some experience of Salvar before, it naturally fell into the Telgradian's thinking as a future home for his world. So, when the invitation from Lord Farthingdale of Knife’s Edge fell upon his doorstep, it seemed as if one of the critical pieces of the Salvar puzzle had started to slide into place.

Back in the present, Lord Iverstead’s polite address had just finished, and the music resumed on the dying note of the Salvic nobleman’s speech. Shinsou’s eyes followed the owner of the manor out of the room until those golden irises set upon a certain face.

No way…

A certain face, indeed. One that had been sketched raw in charcoal and pinned on Shinsou’s wall a number of years ago. A man that he, Philomel van der Aart and Storm Veritas had set out to kill, and failed to even find.

The leader of the Crimson Hand, Lye Ulroke.

Some men prefer castles of splendour, drowning in luxury as they dictate the downfall of nations. Some base themselves instead in damp dark caverns far removed from civilisation, cackling maniacally as their plans come to fruition. Still others march at the head of armies of millions, directing the destruction in person. Lye Ulroke seemed to submit to none of the above approaches. His ‘lair’ for tonight was this wonderfully gay ballroom in the richest part of Salvar, dressed in his best attire, with a very pretty girl in his company.

Of course, circumstances change. Lye was no longer on Shinsou's blacklist, and had not been for many years. In fact, the understanding he now had was that the silver haired man he had set out to find five years ago was rumoured to be no longer in direct command of the Hand at all, with it being apparently dissolved. Lye had since allegedly made enemies within the Sway, who pre-occupied themselves with hunting him. As Shinsou propped himself up against the wall, his eyes caught Lye’s quick salutation to the man he knew to be Tobias Stalt.

So, if I have my angles right here, The Telgradian pondered, Lye is being hunted by the Sway. The clergy of the Sway are currently here, and it looks as if Tobias is a part of that little congregation. Two of the biggest political influences, and possibly obstacles, to the Brotherhood’s progression into Salvar are now making eyes at each other across the breadth of this room.

“Perplexing, isn’t it? They share a room, but their ideals could not be further apart.”

Osiris found himself startled by the young Lady Farthingdale, who had returned from her posturing and mingling. Leaning forward, her neatly trimmed bangs – a blond that was almost golden – cascaded over her forehead.

“These men and their institutions could be the key to the Brotherhood’s success, or failure, in Salvar,” Shinsou returned, deliberately meeting the pout with a calculated look. “Lye Ulroke is probably the man I could most find common ground with; I can’t say I am fond of the anti-magic doctrine the Sway take. That said, Tobias Stalt is a man I know very little about, other than he holds some influence within the Sway. The Church of the Ethereal Sway itself is probably the larger of the two entities. One thing I do know is that both of them wield power and hold influence in areas of interest to me.”

“Perhaps, then, your goal here is to provide for both, in some way.” Lady Farthingdale observed from the far side of the richly-decorated stateroom. “The Brotherhood have money, and in you they have power. The Sway could perhaps be bought, or bargained with. Lye Ulroke, however…”

“Yes,” Shinsou interjected, “He is a different creature altogether. No amount of money will buy Ulroke. So, I have to have something worth trading. Security, perhaps? I doubt I’d be able to reason with the Sway to call off their dogs, but perhaps we can come to another type of understanding…”

“You’ll do well to not underestimate him though, Shinsou,” Lady Farthingdale cautioned with a wagging finger, “He may not be the head of the Crimson Hand anymore, but he still has connections, and power. Lye is a good ally to have, but a dangerous enemy to make. There’s a fine line between the two in Salvar, as you’ll learn. This isn't Corone anymore.”

“Then, I shall tread carefully.”

Sudden laughter drew the Telgradian’s attention, a young man with fine blonde hair and handsome features shakily parading his champagne flute around the edge of the dance floor. His companions were roaring with mirth. The withering glance Lady Farthingdale cast in the direction of the blonde man was enough to shut him up almost immediately and elicit a small smile upon Shinsou’s face.

Caught between the devil and the deep blue sea, He thought, as he excused himself from the Lady’s presence and began to approach Tobias Stalt. After a moment's travel through the labyrinth of moving bodies, the Telgradian found himself stood in front of the grim looking Witch Hunter. He bowed slightly at the hip, a silent honorific to show respect.

"Tobias Stalt, I believe?" Shinsou asked poiltely, "My name is Shinsou Vaan Osiris. I was wondering if we could speak in private?"

Adventurer

EXP: 5,090, Level: 3
    Level completed: 3%, EXP required for next Level: 3,910
    Level completed: 3%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,910

GP

Name
    McKinley JoAnne Parish
    I watched as the fiery haired maiden that had all but dragged me here, fluidly move through the crowd towards me. Her cheeks held a small hue of pink in them, a dreamy look in her chocolate gaze. Rolling my eyes I finished the third glass of wine, having started my own collection. She stopped glancing from the glass in my hand to the other two that sat as a pair on the table that I occupied. "Kinley..." She said with a disapproving tone. My lips parted for a moment as if I were about to defend myself but quickly I shrugged draining the last few swallows of the sweet red. My tongue traced the curve of my lips collecting the small droplets that had been left on my now stained lips. Adrielle gave me another pointed look of disappointment as I was around the prestige masses tonight and my table edict was anything but above subpar.

"What," I finally said with such annoyance.

"Are you truly going to just sit here and drink in a corner? We are at a gala, would it not kill you to at least dance with one gentleman caller?" The banshee sighed.

I had to fight back the urge to roll my eyes as I looked at her truly, "no it wouldn't kill me but it would kill any one of them if I lose control and spontaneously combust into nothing but a black ball of pure, rare energy." My words were harsh but true, my power was vast but my control barely there. Shaking my head I groaned inwardly.

Adrielle watched me closely, a look of worry on her youthful face. Taking a deep breath I looked up at her raising my hand, "I am fine, I don't plan to go all nuclear tonight." Her face and body relaxed slightly but still she eyed my steadily. "Don't you have some lord to go dance with?" I mumbled.

The girl shrugged, "we were split apart before I could even catch his name." She pursed her already pouty, full lips. "I am going to get some refreshments, I will return shortly." She said slowly, picking up her purple skirt so she could move more freely.

"I'll be here, waiting for the butler to come back around with another tray of wine," I said watching her as she left once more.

Newcomer

EXP: 40, Level: 1
    Level completed: 2%, EXP required for next Level: 1,960
    Level completed: 2%,
    EXP required for next Level: 1,960

GP

Name
    Adrielle

View Profile
    The young banshee had secretly left her friend to find the young lord that she had almost quite literally swept him off his feet. They had been been separated when someone had accidently bumped into her. She had turned for a moment to give her apologies and when she looked back the space he had occupied was left vacant.

Quickly she glanced back at McKinley one last time, having only met the woman four months prior after an entire town had been destroyed. The musician had been a wreck , screeching that the destruction had been her fault, that she had some how single handedly flattened and blown through it. From that moment Adrielle had found herself wanting to help her, even though she herself had had no idea what the outside world would be like due to being kept in a lab. Sighing softly she weaved in and out of the sea of bodies. The large room quickly filling with more people as the Lord of the night had given his elegant welcome speech.

Her dark gaze glanced around the room for a moment as she had lost sight of the table that held an assortment of different drinks and light finger foods. Pursing her lips she moved towards the edge of the dance floor, pushing her long fiery locks behind her bare shoulders. For a moment she stood still, like a maiden waiting for someone to ask if her dance card had been filled for the night, an eager lass to be swept up into the crowd of bodies that swayed with the rhythm of the music. She was young enough and had a handsome enough dress on to draw attention from a few Lords but still she turned to return to her adventure of finding a drink and tasting something sweet on her tongue.

She curtsied to a group of lords that she passed, gracing them with a gentle smile as she had finally spotted the table. She nodded at the butler that attended the display of deliciousness. "What will it be miss," he baritone voice easily carried.

Adrielle paused, having never really been much of a drinker. Pursing her lips with uneasiness she glanced up at the butler, "What do you recommend that is light on the lips but sweet on the tongue?"

The server seemed surprised at her question before he reached for a glass, handing it to her. "This is spiked cider, bubbly but refreshingly sweet."

The banshee smiled, accepting the cup. Slowly she raised it to her lips, taking a small sip. The carbonation tickling her nose before she nodded at the delightful taste. "Thank you," she smiled and turned towards the dance floor to observe the room.

Adventurer

EXP: 31,692, Level: 7
    Level completed: 59%, EXP required for next Level: 3,308
    Level completed: 59%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,308

GP

Name
    Azza "Sophia" Ambrose
    Race
    Dovicarus

View Profile
    To the esteemed Sakuya Ko of Akashima,

It is with great honor that I am able to invite you to the ball I am hosting during this year’s Banishment of White at the Iverstead mansion. I am hoping that the invitation enclosed reaches you in time. I recall you telling me many years ago that you never stay in one place for too long. I have not forgotten what you’ve told me then and I have thought upon the question you posed for me. I believe I have found a satisfactory enough answer now that I am older and, arguably, just a bit wiser. If I am unable to find you amongst the guests, I trust that you remember where we first met and that you’ll have no trouble meeting me there after the guests have left. This is assuming that you’ve come at all, of course.

I certainly hope that you do,
    Felix

Azza frowned at the contents of the letter before upending the heavy envelope in her other hand to spill the remaining contents on her lap. As promised in the letter there was a separate invitation card included. The grade of paper used for both the envelope and letter was already astounding, but the invitation card itself was something else entirely- is that gold thread embroidery around the whole card?

I, Felix James Iverstead the Fifth, do hereby invite the holder,
    Sakuya Ko of Akashima and up to two guests of her,
    to attend this year’s Banishment of White at Iverstead Mansion.

Azza’s frown deepened as she looked across to the other side of the carriage to the faux-Akashiman woman riding across from her. The woman was combing the brown hairs of her tail to smooth out any snags and snares while humming softly. “Sakuya, I can’t help but notice that I’m the only guest of yours going to this ball that you’re invited to. Who is this Felix person anyways? Sounds pretty rich. Look it too by what he sent.”

The brown-haired woman stopped her grooming for the moment and flicked her wolven ears up in attention. “Ah. He is a boy that I met a long time ago.” She paused to tuck the brush away into a side pack and moved her tail away. “Though I suppose he is a grown man now. We have written a few times.”

This was just the thing that Azza couldn’t get used to about her mentor. The woman was capable of answering questions that fulfilled what one asked, but never actually answered with anything of substance. To Sakuya’s credit, Azza knew that she should have been more detailed with the woman. “I mean like who is he in society? And why am I going?” Peering out the curtain of the carriage quickly, Azza continued, “We’re in Salvar too, right? I’ve read about it so I recognize some of the architecture, but don’t they hate magic users? Forget that- I don’t even look human and neither do you!”

Sakuya just laughed with the usual bell-like quality of her voice. “Sister Azza, you must be more open minded! There are many people in Salvar and not all hold the same opinion. You can change and so can they, yes? Just do what they do and do not do. I am sure it will be fine if you do not use any magic. Good for learning.”

A sigh passed from Azza’s lips as she looked to the letter again. “We practically are magic to most people. Forget it- what about this Felix then? Is he someone important? He has a mansion after all. A merchant prince maybe?”

“Hum…” Sakuya began as she made a show of combing through her memories with eyes closed. “He might be a lord now.”

“Excuse me?”

“A lord. His father might be too old now to continue as head of the family.”

Azza sat with her mouth agape at the revelation of something rather important that had been omitted in the first place. Closing her mouth when she realized it, she sighed once more before asking, “Am I at least dressed properly?” Glancing down at her bland brown robes with the bottom hem beginning to fray in some places, Azza doubted it. Her ‘nicer clothing’ didn’t seem to fit the bill either with them being spring or summer clothing and definitely not weather appropriate for Salvar.

“I think you will be fine. You are covered after all and if I recall… those in Salvar favor modesty!”

“That. That is not what I meant at all! Sakuya! You’re taking me to a ball and I’m dressed like- like a-”

“Person?”

“Yes! - what? No!” Even as Azza fumed at the absurdity of the situation, Sakuya seemed genuinely confused. “You’re in a travelling robe too!”

“I am sure there are those we can blend in with when we arrive and have fun!”

Azza scoffed. “The servants? I doubt people looking like commoners are allowed in.”

“We have an invitation and the servants are usually more relaxed. I enjoy their company more than the nobles.”

There wasn’t anything that Azza could retort with to counter what Sakuya offered. Given her own personality, Azza knew she’d probably enjoy being around the maids and staff more than the nobility in attendance. Exasperated, but amused all the same, Azza shoved those thoughts away and instead asked with a grin, “So where did you first meet Lord Felix? Sounds like he’s fond of you.”

“Does he?” Humming again in thought as she wondered, Sakuya shrugged. “He is a kind person, so him being fond of me is good. As for where I met him first… I believe I fell asleep on his balcony.”

“Should I even ask?”

“I was tired so I found a comfortable place.”

Azza couldn’t help but snort in laughter. “Alright, fine. I guess you’re going to meet him since we’re headed there. How are you going to get to his balcony tonight? I’m sure the place has plenty of guards, staff, and the eyes of guests are all over.”

Sakuya took quite a bit this time as she hummed about as if considering the many different ways she could do so. In the end she clasped her hands together and offered the answer as a question, “I am very fast?” To which Azza only felt her smirk stretch wide on her face as her eyes rolled.

Eventually the two stepped out from the carriage before the mansion. Opulent. Grand. Those were the first two things that came to mind for Azza as she ascended the steps behind Sakuya towards the entrance. To no surprise of Azza's, the guards and servants at the entrance had a mixture of suspicion and distaste watching the two of them approach. An Akashiman woman with animal ears and tail and a horned girl with rust colored wings. Both dressed like vagrant wanderers. At the very least the older manservant handling the arrival of guests was more professional as he asked, “Invitation?” Sakuya obliged and the manservant took a moment to inspect it. His eyes widened a moment and he whispered something to one of the guards. That guard saluted and then hurried off somewhere. “Welcome, Lady Ko and guest. Please enjoy your time at the ball.”

The change in demeanor was astounding for Azza, but perhaps the most shocking thing was seeing Sakuya carrying herself with a dignified air as the woman nodded her head and continued on. Not wanting to be left behind, Azza followed quickly after and soon enough the pair entered the ballroom proper.

It was the first time in this life that Azza had seen a room so lavishly decorated. Even when she was back on Se’lutia there wasn’t anything like this- well, maybe there was, but she didn’t see it. Those nearby spoke in whispers as they looked towards her. A few pointed and snickered while others had a look of revulsion. “Sakuya, I don’t think this was a good idea.” There was no answer. “Sakuya?” Turning to look for her chaperon, Azza saw that she was alone now. Sighing and feeling utterly exhausted already, Azza shook her head and mumbled, “Right. Very fast.” Looking around, she soon found rows upon rows of tables away from the center floor lined with different foods and refreshments for the guests to partake. Brightening up again, Azza figured that she might as well enjoy it like Sakuya said.
    Last edited by orphans; 03-27-2021 at 03:09 PM.