“I agree on both counts,” said Rehtul, breaking his long silence. “The Guilds cannot be trusted, but a violent approach will only cause more problems, much to my personal chagrin.”

He dusted off his glasses and slid them back on. “Fortunately, my father, Succed Orlouge, is a well-known arcane researcher who has helped the Guilds on several occasions, and you, my friend, are affiliated with the Astrologers.”

Elijah’s eyes perked up. “What do you propose?”

The ice mage spread his arms and smiled. “We walk up and say hello.”

===============================

“Good day. My name is Rehtul Orlouge. I come on behalf of Clan Orlouge of Corone to assist with the Guilds’ recent discovery here. These are my associates and assistants.”

The sorcerer Elijah stepped forward, chin high, projecting an air of authority. “I am Elijah Belov, representative for the Guild of Astrologers.” He gestured to his silver-haired companion. “This is Azza, my protege.” The girl waved.

Rehtul’s red-haired student stepped forward next. “Felicity Rhyolite, alchemist.” Technically true, though not in the way the Guild agents would think.

They stood among the glassy spires, some standing, others topped. At the heart of the ruins stood a pile of stacked rubble next to a staircase spiraling deep underground. Standing between that entrance the four mages were several guards and scribes, along with three officials in Guild officers’ garb.

Elijah seemed to know who they were, and whispered their names as they approached. Jivvin, with his strange mechanical body parts peeking from beneath blue Artificer’s robes. Cazri, a prim dark elf woman in Alchemist green. Sabal, a stout Engineer in a rust red tunic beneath a leather apron, with goggles resting atop his head.

“Were you not informed of our coming?” Rehtul asked. “Surprising. We heard about your discovery through my father, Succed Orlouge. He’s currently busy with his own projects, but sent me and my trusted associates to assist you, as he’s done in the past.”

“With all due respect, we have made considerable headway on our own,” said Chief Artificer Jivvin, his voice buzzing through a metal mask. “What could we possibly gain by involving your father?”

“Better us than the High Bards,” said Elijah. “Wouldn’t you agree?”

Sabal, the dwarf Engineer, harrumphed. “Says the Astrologer. You're a bloody fake guild. Alerar has no use for your mysticism.”

The sorcerer laughed. “Unless you plan to strap a steam engine to the demonic artifact, you–”

“How do you know it's a demon gate?” The dwarf’s brow furrowed into a glare.

Well if we weren’t sure then, we are now.

Elijah smirked. “Astrologer, remember?”

“There is no need for factional rivalry,” Rehtul said, holding out his palms. “Elijah is correct, however. It’s part of the reason we were sent. Mostly, however, the two of us are here to help keep others out. My father's notoriety, if we broadcast this as one of his projects, would tend to keep other… ahem… 'researchers' out of your hair. Especially the Raiaeran ones.” While not entirely accurate, it was believable. He watched the eyes of the Guildsmen, seeing his gambit take root. The bluff was working.

Rehtul made a fist and opened it, conjuring a cloud of cold mist. “Plus my associates and I are competent mages with experience with demons. Our presence here will lend much needed security.”

The icy specks floated through the air, and while the assembled Guildsmen watched the glittering display, much smaller particles flowed from his other hand. Unseen, they embedded themselves into the ground and stones, and down into the underground chamber. He hid a smile. Nothing would hide from him, now.

Behind his metal mask, Jivvin the artificer frowned. “I remain unconvinced. I don't care if you can help keep others out. We don't want you here either.”

“I think you'll change your mind when word gets out. This place is radiating power already, and where there's power, opportunistic mages will surely follow.”

“Other than yourselves, you mean?” grumbled the dwarf.

“We are your best-case scenario,” said Elijah.

Cazri the artificer finally spoke up. “I believe them.” The other two Guild masters gawked at her, but she carried on. “They came to us openly, in good faith. I see no harm in letting them in. They are scientists as much as any of us. Plus, if anything does slip out of that damnable rift, having mages with that experience can’t hurt.”

The Artificer and Engineer grumbled, but ultimately the Guildsmen parted and let Rehtul and his companions through.

As they were left out of earshot, the mage fell back to keep pace with Elijah and whispered, “I have eyes everywhere in this cavern now. Nothing in here moves without me knowing about it.