Level completed: 51%,
    EXP required for next Level: 5,394

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    "Shut up Stare, this was going to happen some time."

A moment and the eyes of the other two in the carriage flickered between kenku and god - though they knew nothing of that particular truth of their relationship. Brer, knowing to some extent the mental connection between them blushed slightly but Blaze, with her lack of knowledge and her gag, stared in complete confusion.

Stare glared for a long time at Vitruvion, before he raised his brows. Questioning. Daring her.

"Yes?" he asked, his voice still perfectly reposeful. A flicker of a smile was at the corner of his mouth. "You have something to say?"

Her jaw tightened and she threw her look away. She breathed through her nostrils.

"Stare?"

"No, my lord," she grunted at him.

Vitruvion took a moment and then he snorted laughter and shook his head. His eyes looked around the carriage until they landed on Blaze. Haunted she gazed at him, bemused but disbelieving.

He took a moment, and looked away from her. Silence fell yet again. Between the four of them there was a great awkwardness, an uncertainty. Stare had a million questions for Vitruvion but it was clear right now was not the time. Despite the fact that he had his repetitive worry of his half-brother he was going through this charade. This practise of power, that possibly had no other result than to show that he was the authority in all their lives.

The carriage eventually pulled to a jolting halt. A thump, then footsteps on gravel sounded before the door was pulled open - on Stare's side. Before them all was the large light-coloured building of Vitruvion's mansion and Stare's home. Their home. Breathing in a minor sense of relief Stare began to move, straightening her clothes before making her way out.

"Stare."

She angled her head to look back at him. Her sharp eyes met his and she ignored the awe that was showing within Blaze's eyes as the faerie-elf - she had once called herself an 'Ellinin' - looked at the house. Clearly she had never seen it. The kenku found a flutter of amusement come into her chest, then shame. Shame for having this life, escaping the fate that Blaze had been subject to.

"Yes?" she said quietly to him.

"Be in the library in two hours," he told her, eyes focused and intent.

Carefully she nodded, unsure of the entire situation - then she ducked her head and left, eager to be out of the entire situation.
    Crows: Old nursery rhyme "One for sorrow, Two for mirth, Three for a funeral, Four for birth, Five for heaven, Six for hell, Seven for the devil, his own self."

Legend

EXP: 59,606, Level: 10
    Level completed: 51%, EXP required for next Level: 5,394

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Two hours later.

Swiftly, in she came, a whirl of energy and frustration. Having disgarded her chainmail and gauntlet she now was dressed in a simple black tunic, an elaborate silver braided cord serving as a belt. Into this her mythril dagger was attached - the single weapon for an evening of little expected combat. With a mind of confusion, numbers and things she could say, she entered the library.

To find him already there, leaning forwards in a leather armchair, eyes perusing over an unfolded old map that lay before him on a dark chestnut wood table. As she came in, his blue eyes lifted and looked at her before he gestured.

"Come see this."

The calmness of his voice, and the lack of any smirk or laughter caught her off. That end of his manipulative actions, showing everyone that he was in power was suddenly over. Two hours ago he had been Vitruvion the villain, powerful and mighty. Now he was ... The man. The part of him that honestly cared about all his employees, and had a sense of honour, respect and -

Looking up at her again he raised an eyebrow. "When was I not both of those things?" he asked her.

The question caught her off guard, but she managed to stumble an answer. "When you're forcing me to respond in that way."

"I did not force you to call me 'my lord,' Stare," he responded in a still, but firm voice. "If Raevin had not regarded me as such in the Mess hall, then you would have needed to. As it was, the requirement of the situation was for you to both respond in that manner which Raevin instigated - but this you know perfectly. I do not demand any titles, only that in certain situations you regard me with the respect that the situation requires." He paused and blinked a few times, straightening. "I really should not have to explain this every time. It's situational. Am I asking you to bow to me right now?"

His speech made her look away and sigh quietly. She had to admit it. He had done nothing of the sort. In no manner had he forced her to say anything at all, instead there was just what was expected of her. Therefore, with a grunt she strode over, knowing that though she could not choose who was her god, like the rest of beings in the world, she could choose how to speak to him.
    Crows: Old nursery rhyme "One for sorrow, Two for mirth, Three for a funeral, Four for birth, Five for heaven, Six for hell, Seven for the devil, his own self."

Legend

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    He smiled slightly as she came to stand by his side, a genuine, pleased smile. His hand extended a finger to point at the map before him.

"As I said, you should see this."

But her mind was elsewhere.

"Why is Blaze here?" she asked, dropping into the seat opposite him.

Vitruvion paused, and a look of annoyance passed over his face before he answered.

"My dear," his tone was condemning, but not impatient. "You don't need to ask it in such a manner. I would have mentioned it after a while."

She blinked and said nothing.

He pursed his lips and moved his hand back to his lap. "But, I was going to tell you. It comes down to the request by Blaze about six weeks ago now to know and specifically see what had happened to you. That, combined with the possibility of a journey outside of the Hollow was a thing her and I discussed and eventually agreed to." He clasped his hands together, straight backed and looking all like the noble he was. "Pleasant discourse, good behaviour led to rewards, this being hers."

Stare did not hide the immense dislike in her mind or face. Having to 'earn' a trip to the outside world was never something that should be said. Vitruvion looked at her a short time with upraised brows and then nodded to the map.

"Shall we?"

She could not argue with him. All the times she had in the past had led to reminders to her that she could have an opinion but do absolutely nothing about the existence of the Hollow as it stood. But she let out a growl in the back of her throat, along with a quiet kenku curse that meant something like, "May your feathers always be dirty." Vitruvion's mouth flickered with a smile before he leant back over the map.

Legend

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    "What I wanted to talk with you about is my recent findings. Continuing from our discussion earlier, you know that in my youth I searched for some remnants of what could be my fathers' abandoned races. Nothing was to be found."

Stare blinked at him blandly, but slowly nodded.

He accepted it with another nod of his own.

"After a large lack of success I gave up. Until I met you," he gestured at her. "That inspired me to go look for other possibilities, and I believe ... Well I may have found another."

Suddenly the issue with Blaze was forgotten. Stare looked up with surprise, right into his eyes.

"What?"

He inclined his head. "Exactly, my dear. Now. See here," and this time she followed his hand to the map. His finger elegantly pointed to an area of vast wilderness, tucked into the wilds of the Tular Plains. That area of vast forest and wasteland that made up the scattered demon lands. Vampire lords reigned there, with ancient castles and hungry servants. Guardians, from the beginnings of time, dwelt near the entrances to the hells and all over there were whispers, uncertainties, rumours.

Screams.

"Here is where a few stories accumulate, and not ones that I needed to sort through ancient texts for. Rather, I have found that around twenty years ago a race of strange beasts suddenly appeared, without any warning and with no clear sign of where they came from."

Stare's eyes widened and her brow rose. Certainly it sounded like evidence of Ansaldo sending a discarded, wanted people away.

"What stories?" she asked.

Vitruvion moved his hand back and slid it to pause by a pile of papers - some more ragged and thicker than others. "Reports mostly. One local census tries to accumulate them into it, just after they arrive. A travel journal entry of a human who, unsurprisingly as he went to Tular, died."

She nodded slowly, a million questions rising to her beak. Gone were her concerns over Blaze - the Hollow was something she could never solely rid the world of. Even if she could Vitruvion would always have a being from it that was his - her.

"What did they look like?"

"The stories differ," Vitruvion admitted, sitting back, "But 'beasts' seems to be the central word. Rather than 'being'. Supposedly barbaric then can be deduced, attempts to communicate them were ... Difficult."
    Last edited by Stare; 12-01-2017 at 02:49 PM.

Legend

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    She blinked, having not received any information about their appearance but rather their personality. She made this thought obvious in her mind.

He looked at her sharply. "Stare. I am explaining in my own time," he scolded her. Not reacting, she sat there, waiting for his answer. Taking a moment he sighed and then went on. "Going on all fours as well as two. Orc-like but with a primate effect, and skin hard ... Like turtle-shell would be a good analysis. Ranging in colour from khaki to tan brown, and mainly ugly, it seems. Possibly horned."

"So ape orcs?" She asked, in a slightly amused voice.

"Indeed," he agreed. He fixed eye contact with her. "I find it intriguing also to consider the fact that all of the half-siblings that I know of and have met are all, in some way, human-esque. Ventrua has the pointed ears of an elf and others that I have met perhaps have a tail or some other small detail from their mother, but they are all, for the most part, human."

Stare found her eyes dropping to the map and up again at Vitruvion. "So ... Ansaldo prefers those of human-based design? He is attracted to them?"

"That and he chooses to take the form of one when walking amongst his lands."

"And the races that you know of, which he discarded are all ..."

Vitruvion inclined his head deeply. "Very different. Exactly, my dear. My father, is in fact rather racist."

Legend

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    It was in that time, around twenty minutes later, that Stare realised all of her hatred for Vitruvion for earlier had melted away. There they were, kenku and human-form bound god, pouring over the words of so many avid explorers and chroniclers. Their conversation became casual and unrestrained, discussing the issues without hesitation and entirely with agreement. Stare found herself quite naturally adapting into a more respectful state, regarding Vitruvion, as he was, on the greater authority on the subject. He spoke about the disgarded races he had been able to glean a history of from Ansaldo's memories, and she apologised in the few times she interrupted him. He carried on, talking as naturally as he did, speaking over her. It was only when there was a sizable pause that Stare realised what exactly she was doing.

Her beak halves parted and she looked at him, eyes wide. Vitruvion took a moment to pause, frown slightly and delve into her mind. Then he read her thoughts, saw the clear visual examples she could think of and his entire face was suddenly gleaming with pride.

Stare looked down, her heart thumping in her chest with the realisation. The fact she had so easily slipped into a conversation with him on his terms and not thought about her life situation in all that time. Her eyes scoured the map, though really blindly as she thought about what had just happened, and how all of her reluctance to her world had faded to naught.

"Stare."

Unsteadily she ran a hand through the feathers at her skull. "Hmm," she grunted lightly and softly, not wanting to acknowledge any of it.

"That is all I want from you. Good conversation, respect and understanding." He paused and said quieter, "As Raevin told you earlier, I have no intention of ever letting you go. Even if you become the most belligerent being." He leant forwards, "Though that was good. Do not feel shame that you genuinely acted with me as you should."

Stare dropped her eyes. She scratched her skin beneath the feathers of her arm awkwardly and breathed slowly.

"Anyway," he said still with warm tones in his voice. "What I suggest now is-"

Bong ...

Legend

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    He looked over to the door at the same time as Stare glanced up, more alert. She knew the sound, in the house, when Vitruvion was there, it rang to signal dinner.

The sudden realisation she was hungry came to Stare and she felt joy at the idea of food. Looking over at Vitruvion she began to open her mouth to ask the common question she did when he was there.

He shook his head, standing and straightening his clothes. "No I do not have anyone coming for dinner. We are at usual practice."

'Usual practise' meant meals, like their breakfast usually was, eaten together. However, when Vitruvion had a business partner over, another 'brother,' or any other form of person coming to dinner, then Stare ate in the kitchens. Other times she ate entirely on her own, if Raevin and even Mer were away.

She nodded a little and stood up, forcing herself to relax. She watched as Vitruvion bent and began rolling up the map. He tucked the documents under it, paused, and then straightened again. Extending a hand he gestured to the door.

"Well?"

With a small duck of her head Stare moved to the side to allow him to stride forwards. As he passed her she fell into step, automatically moving to his left side. Right felt too strange, so used was she to seeing Raevin there. He slowed in step as he got to the door and she paused, before he tilted his head slightly around at her, a small smile on his face.

Letting out a sigh Stare ducked forwards and grabbed the door, opening it for him. His smile became a grin.

"Very good, my dear."

"You're catching me in a strange mood," she made the excuse for herself, grumbling.

"Or it is the base part of yourself that knows of the inevitability of your life." He waited until she was through the door and lowered his voice, eyes dancing around the main hall they were in now. "If I was not caught in this body and able to establish a place of worship for myself, you would already be my high priestess."

Legend

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    The word made her brows rise and she to stumble in her step. His high priestess. Essentially what would be one of the heads of the religion, if there was one such able to be built. As she thought about it, however, it all made sense. The other two who knew about his godhood were Raevin and his sister, and they would likely get their own roles, or had them.

He laughed at her reaction and swept into his powerful steps again.

"I'm pretty sure I'd be useless to you in that respect," she muttered.

"You underestimate yourself, Stare," he chided her.

She shrugged. "Pretty sure I don't ..."

He chuckled more and moved into the dining hall itself. The great ivory room, with six my portraits. A long oak table, with ten chairs, one of them practically a throne at the head. A wooden floor, fine settings with a great chandelier lighting up the whole place. Underneath the glow of which already sat Mer, nestled into the chair beside Raevin's empty one (that directly to the right, which was left empty even if he was not at the meal). Opposite her, however, was the greatest surprise. Bedside the chair left for Stare sat Blaze, unbound and looking as uncertain as the day she was born. Behind her chair stood her two guards, their eyes ever ready. Silence was already in the room, and things got even more awkward as Vitruvion and Stare came in.

The god paused for a moment, then grunted acceptance before going over to collapse into his chair. He lounged there as if it was a base instinct, and eyed the two women there.

"Well, Blaze. You wanted to see our life here. This is Mer, Stare's apprentice."

Mer raised her brows at the idea of her being an 'apprentice' - which was essentially her job - but said nothing before nodding to Blaze. The redhead stared back with large eyes, her hands fidgeting beneath the table.

"I see," she whispered.

Then Vitruvion looked over to Stare. "You are not eating, my dear?" he asked as she did not move from where she was - still near the door. All eyes then turned to her, including those of Blaze which were back to reflecting anger. Her jaw tightened and she saw him arch an eyebrow.

Legend

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Stare?

Letting out a long, slow breath she pushed away from the doorway and stalked over to the table. Pulling her chair away from it she submitted down, Blaze right beside her. The girl who was still caught in the vile terror of the life that was the Hollow could not take her eyes from her.

Vitruvion had a smile in his eyes as he tapped his goblet. Grunting, Stare leaned forwards to grab it, trying to ignore the stares from the other two women and filled it from the decanter of red wine before her.

"Sorry I am late."

A voice from behind. A strong, male voice that was full of pride. The figure of an elf with touselled brown hair and green eyes appeared in Stare's periforole, and a sly wink told her exactly who it was.

Slowly she set down Vitruvion's goblet before him again and raised her brow at Raevin. He smiled pleasantly at her as he unbuckled his short short from his belt, looped it over the back of his chair before sitting down. His eyes scanned the room and he nodded at Blaze.

"Nice to see you joining us this evening, Blaze."

The guarded women took in a sharp breath and blinked wildly. Raevin greeted Mer, who nodded back before he looked over to Vitruvion and Stare.

"Sir. Bird."

"Elf," she grunted back.

There was a minute of silence before footsteps came, and in walked Druss, the head butler, along with Agatha, one of the housemaids and Timmin the kitchen boy. Dressed smartly they brought five plates, laden with the finest food. With practised ease they maneouvered past the guards and around the chairs, setting a plate at each place. Druss then nodded when he accepted everything as good enough and then he gestured. The two others stepped back, and walked back out, leaving a strong smell of roast and good quality vegetables filled the air.

Vitruvion picked up his fork and turned to Raevin. "So, you said earlier there was a complication with the mercenaries ..."

"You do this everyday?" came a hiss from beside her.

Legend

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Stare blinked, halfway through cutting her pork and looked at Blaze.

" what everyday?" she grunted.

The faerie-elf's eyes were large and her features had a demanding expression. Stare noticed that she had a much blunted knife than the rest of them, and her fork had smaller spines. It was then she was conscious of the dagger at her belt and thanked the kami then that she wore it on her opposite hip.

"This," Blaze gestured with a stressed look at the food, the room, Vitruvion's goblet. "This is how you live now?"

Remembering that Blaze was here after requesting what had become of her, Stare paused and then shrugged before pecking off meat from her fork. She did her usual back swallow, her beak far longer a mouth than a humanoid one. Blaze looked appauled.

"And I used to like you."

"If you're moaning about the fact I'm here not there anymore," Stare answered quietly, "Then I understand, but can't do anything about it."

"About what? About living better than us? About helping us?"

"And this comes from the woman who told me repetitively to accept what I was down there and be nicer to him," Stare hissed.

Blaze stared at her with utter disbelief, then suddenly stabbed her food and shoved it into her mouth.

"Bitch," she spat.

"Nice to see you too," Stare replied dryly.

There was a pause. Across from Stare the rumblings of the elf and god continued, speaking of the business concerning the Mercenary training facility that Raevin operated part time. They seemed entirely occupied, and without any change in tone or pace of speech Vitruvion lifted his goblet and held it back out to Stare. She paused, seeing it empty already and grunted, taking it to refill it.

"I think she's a bitch too."

Stare raised her eyes as the red liquid flowed from the decanter. Mer was sitting there, her hands pausing on her cutlery, gaze at Blaze. A soft smile played across the female elf's lips.

The faerie-elf paused, and glared. "You're also part of the problem," she scalded.