View Poll Results: What do you work towards?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • More

4 23.53%
  • Less

2 11.76%
  • Both

10 58.82%
  • Other

1 5.88%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Viator Mundi

EXP: 155,108, Level: 17
    Level completed: 18%, EXP required for next Level: 14,892
    Level completed: 18%,
    EXP required for next Level: 14,892

GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Telgradian

View Profile
    Whenever I write I always end up finding it difficult to get the correct balance. Some parts seem too threadbare, so I spruce them up when required. Then, on second readthrough, I'll notice that I'm boring myself into a coma on a certain paragraph, so then i'll trim down until I can read my work and not want to be sick into my mouth. Four or five edits later, I'm there.

I think there was maybe one thread in my whole time here that I was happy with on my first try.

Reaching beyond the stars

EXP: 4,435, Level: 2
    Level completed: 82%, EXP required for next Level: 565
    Level completed: 82%,
    EXP required for next Level: 565

GP

Name
    Gnarloc
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Honestly i tend to write then rewrite and rewrite, details goes in as i better my description or realise it can be wrote better.
    But definitely more of an adder than a takeaway guy.
    - The Destroyer of Worlds -

Part 1
    The Gnarled Roots of Osiris

Part 2
    The Truth we Left Behind.
    Currently writing.

* Gnarloc & Camille Airanna Dark * Winner of Best Althanas Couple.

Sweet Cinnamoth

EXP: 37,766, Level: 8
    Level completed: 31%, EXP required for next Level: 6,234
    Level completed: 31%,
    EXP required for next Level: 6,234

GP

Name
    Fennik Glenwey
    Race
    Frost Fae

View Profile
    Am I the only one who gets really pumped about writing setting? Especially characters interacting with their environment. Chekov's tree -- if it's there, your char's gotta climb it, admire it, or smack right the fuck into it. Setting's probably the easiest bit for me, but I sometimes forget it in my excitement. Whoops.

Editing usually means "simplify/shave off chunks of clunky dialogue" (look, there's a reason why Fenn's not much of a conversationalist), and "pour on more of that delicious descriptionary/setting syrup". I really like increasing wordcount and adding more to scenes I didn't give enough attention the first time around, but inevitable I also have to rip out sections that turn out to be less relevant/engaging than I past thought. Repetition is where I fuck up the most.

But now that I've discovered the MAGIC OF OUTLINES, I don't think I'll have to rip so much out anymore.

*Increases wordcount to infinity and beyond*
    Last edited by FennWenn; 01-24-2018 at 09:03 AM.

upon the cheek of night

EXP: 224,444, Level: 20
    Level completed: 0%, EXP required for next Level: 0
    Level completed: 0%,
    EXP required for next Level: 0

GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod
    Quote Originally Posted by Briarheart View Post
    I feel like Althanas's big problem is that the rubric is forcing us to write these big, sweeping paragraphs about what kind of lighting and wall decorations are in this new tavern our characters have stepped foot in, just so we can bump our Setting up from a 6 to a 7 at the expense of the story's flow. With how much we pride ourselves on the stupid thing and how much focus we put on it, it hinders our development as writers and prevents us from finding and honing our individual, unique writing voices.
    It sounds like you're misinterpreting the rubric. Here's what it actually says about setting:

Every story has a setting, and Althanas has many unique realms to work in. This category includes faithfulness to the region's canon, and the writer's description of their characters movement through those environments. To score high in setting, a writer must go beyond painting backdrops. Setting is not just to look at. It exists to be experienced by the characters, and through them, by the readers. For instance, if you describe a chair, did your character sit in it or pick it up to smash in an enemy's face? Is it hot or cold, sunny or rainy, and are its effects on the character described? In short, a good setting does not just describe place; it makes it smell, move, hear, and breathe. It makes the setting a character all of its own.
    If we boil it down, there's essentially three elements to scoring setting; description, which is mostly what the character perceives and includes things like time and location, interaction, which includes what the character does with the setting and how they influence or change it, and inclusion/development of canon, which is pretty self explanatory. While it's possible that individual judges may focus too much on description at times, that's not a built in function of our rubric, and if you ever find that the commentary you receive only addresses description, a quick PM to the judge would probably get you some notes on interaction and use of canon as well. Sometimes it's just difficult to fit everything in, especially in the case of condensed rubrics.
    "The breeze did not stir. The stars did not twinkle. The trees did not sway and the brook did not babble.
    For the world did not turn when Am'aleh wept, and a tear had tumbled down her cheek."