Level completed: 0%, EXP required for next Level: 0
    Level completed: 0%,
    EXP required for next Level: 0

GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod
    Hromagh struck like an onager, like the tail of a whale, like the boom of a great ship whipped ‘round by the sail. A growl rumbled from deep within his chest as he swung a clawed paw in a continent-shattering haymaker.

He struck only air, for in moving like a moonshadow, Breaker was not there. The demigod side-stepped and swayed, dodging and ducking as the Thayne swatted again. Hromagh moved with great speed, and yet the length and breadth of his limbs made them slower and predictable to the immortal prizefighter. Each blow could have easily killed the demigod, and yet as the onslaught continued and Breaker fell into a rhythm, Hromagh began to miss by more and more. The momentum of the Thayne’s punches off-balanced him and he stumbled, green sand spraying from beneath his clawed feet.

Breaker swooped in like an eagle and clasped his arms around the Thayne’s massive middle. He lifted, tipped, and turned, and suplexed the deity down on the soft ground. The slam shook the entire beach.

“You were a fool to face me hand to hand,” Breaker growled in the Beast God’s ear.
    “Thayne or not, none beat me in close quarters,
    Even in your home of Phantaria.”

Hromagh roared and lashed out with his great pate, sending the demigod flying backwards, over the green sand, past the orange grass, to smash against the yellowy trunk of a broad tree. He bounced off and slumped to the ground in a heap, winded and stunned. His spine ached from the impact, and his legs felt strangely distant. The pain instinctively receded to the back of his mind, and he stood as swiftly as he’d fallen.

“You are a fool for having traveled here.” The Thayne roared as he came to his feet and charged. They crashed together like two mountains colliding, Breaker smaller and slighter but no less determined. He stuffed the deity’s attempt to bull him over backwards and rolled between those long legs, popping up behind Hromagh and jumping on his back.

“You will not leave this sacred place alive,” Hromagh roared.
    “Am’aleh will bring back your broken bones!”

He tore Breaker off of his back and hurled him into the purple shallows. The lurid, warm water clutched at him like a thousand hungry hands. The demigod rose, dripping mauve and spreading his arms wide in a gesture of defiance.

“Use your godly might! Strike me down, Hromagh!
    You will never defeat me fighting fair.
    I have practiced too long and hard to lose.
    Am’aleh says Thaynes see truth in all things,
    So you must see the truth of this in me.”

They circled on the sand for a long while, steam gushing from Hromagh’s furry nose and ears, blue light pooling in the dimples beneath Breaker’s Y-shaped scars. The lilac waves lapped and waned at the verdant shore.

The Beast God’s fury subsided slowly. His great lion’s frown swept up into a smile, and a laugh that nearly uprooted the trees boomed forth from his chest.

“Did you believe I tried to defeat you?” He chortled. And then with a snap of reality and a hiss of scalded sand, he vanished.
    Last edited by Breaker; 07-11-2018 at 09:35 PM.

upon the cheek of night

EXP: 224,444, Level: 20

GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod
    In the same instant Hromagh vanished, the polarity of the unnatural pull Breaker had been feeling reversed. Like an undertow hidden in thin air, it threatened to pull him into the waves that suddenly seemed wicked with intent.

The demigod threw himself to the green sand and crawled away from the choppy waters like a worm in the mud. It felt like he crawled for an hour or more before the invisible force dragging at his body subsided.

He panted and rolled onto his back, gazing up at the pink sky. Fighting a Thayne and fighting the tidal forces of Phantaria had nearly been enough to exhaust his endless endurance. For the space of a moment he closed his eyes, daring to relax and rest.

“Joshua Cronen; rise, you stand accused,” a thin voice rasped. The warrior spun to his feet so fast the heel of his sandal carved up a section of turf.

Facing him was Khal’jaren; the sage god. The insectoid Thayne stood of a height with Cronen but was built like a bunch of rails cobbled together with rope. His wiry hands clutched his scroll and quill in perfect stillness, but his bulging eyes seemed to vibrate when Breaker looked directly into them.

“Of what am I accused, oh wise sage Thayne?” Josh demanded lightly.

“Why, of slaying one of our number.
    Or do you not remember Draconus?”

An eel forged from hot lead writhed its way into Breaker’s stomach. He had slain the Thayne Draconus for daring to threaten Am’aleh, whose domain the sea deity had shared.

“Of course I recall, how could I forget
    One of the greatest battles known to man?” A small smirk played across Breaker’s lips.
    “Were you there? Did you linger, watch, record?
    How can you blame me for his death, when you
    Could have stepped in to save his life?”

The sage god’s robe swayed as he shook his bony skull from side to side.

“Only you and Am’aleh watched him die,” the Thayne said sadly.
    “Unless you count your friend, the Telgradian.
    It is of no regard; you are guilty.”

“Phaw! I could not have slain great Draconus
    Without the permission of other Thaynes.
    How many of you were at odds with him?”

Khal’jaren’s second set of hands broke their prayer pose in order to reach up and stroke his chin.

“You do not grasp the nature of the Thayne,” he said at last.
    “All of us are at odds with each other.
    We have shared this world for countless seasons.
    There will always be bad blood in places.”

“Enough to merit the death of a Thayne?”

The sage considered, tilting his head from side to side, and then scrawled a single word on his parchment and resumed his prayer pose.

“So it would seem to all of us, and you.”

His form became smoke, and drifted away lazily on the breeze.

upon the cheek of night

GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod
    “Wait! Do not go! I have more to ask you!” Breaker raced after the fleeting breeze, clutching at grey wisps even as they thinned to nothing. His sprint carried him to the edge of a cliff, which seemed to appear from nowhere. He skidded to a halt, nearly sliding off the edge of the precipice.

A hawk-like scream tore from the purple heavens, followed by the swooping figure of a woman-sized bird of prey. Y’edda settled on the cliff next to Cronen and preened her coat of feathers as she took her humanesque form. Her plumage became a fine feathery cloak overlaid by locks of red hair, and her pale eyes bored into him like twin augers.

Breaker spoke first.

“Tell me not; I stand accused of dire things.” He shook his head in jest, but Y’edda could only frown.

“You are accused of wicked things indeed,” she said,
    “You stole the heart of my sister, Am’aleh.”

Within a moment Breaker matched her frown. Once again, he stood accused of a crime he could not deny. Once again, he would have to find a means to defend himself… without lifting a hand.

“I stole nothing, Am’aleh toyed with me.
    I know I never could claim her true love.”

Y’edda shook her crimson mane, feathered cloak flapping in the wind, and stepped closer.

“You misread me Breaker. You performed well.
    Now that you have taken her heart, have mine.”

She stepped ever closer, arms rising up to encircle him. Her lips pursed as she leaned forward, as beautiful as a woman could be, ready for a kiss.

Tearing himself away from the sky mother made leaving the green beach behind seem a simple task. She was a powerful lodestone, drawing him like a lump of forged iron. Breaker gritted his teeth and steeled himself away from the temptation of the endless pleasure he knew waited in a Thayne’s embrace.

“Do not tempt me, O Mother of the Sky;
    I would hate to ruin you for others.”

A wry smile lit his lips.

“Ha! You cannot break what is endless, dear.” She reached out again.
    “But you are a handsome man. I see what
    Both of my sisters saw in your young eyes.”

“Both of your… of whom do you speak? I nev-” and then he remembered. It was so long ago, when Am’aleh had first accepted him as a worshiper. She had sent him to Fallien with a nigh impossible mission. He had completed it, lying with the Fallieni Goddess of the Moon in the process. Suravani had shown him as much rapture as Am’aleh, but he had seldom heard from her since. He had yet to return to the sandy shores of her homeland.

“You see? You have not always been faithful.
    How can we trust you to join our ranks when
    You cannot stay true to a single Thayne.”

Breaker grimaced, but slowly the expression grew into a smile.

“I am true to no God. I stand alone
    On Althanas, but I would stand with you.”

Y’edda cocked her head to one side, a modest breeze ruffling her downy cloak. As the feathers settled they became plumage once more, and the massive bird of prey gave Josh a final glare and then leaped off the cliff.

upon the cheek of night

GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod
    The situation presented an impossible opportunity.

Breaker had not become the most feared fighter on Althanas by failing to act in such scenarios.

Y'edda leapt off the cliff, and almost like one body, Breaker leapt with her. He left the rocky ground so swiftly that the trickster’s enchanted sandals stayed behind. Josh did not care. His arms and legs cinched around the massive bird of prey as she spread her wings.

The raptor-Goddess let out a fearsome shriek that threatened to shatter his eardrums, but Breaker clung on in determination.

They plummeted downward. Rusty-hued grass raced up to meet them, as deadly and unforgiving as the earth in the realm of mortals.

Y’edda spread her wings and caught a thermal. She shrieked again beneath the strain of Breaker’s weight, but her mighty wings sent them both soaring out over the strangely colored lands.

Rather than threaten to tear him from his perch, the strange slipstream compressed Josh against the Goddess. They flew like one great winged beast until she arced downward into a copse of fir trees with silver branches and golden needles.

“Release me you disrespectful mortal!” Y’edda screamed as her lips reformed, morphing back into a cloaked woman.

Breaker did as she had bidden, meeting the goddess’ glare with a smile.

“I have sat astride the finest horses, a griffin, a dragon, and a ter’ak,” he commented, “but I must say that you make the finest--”

“Call me a steed,” she warned, stepping closer, “and I’ll have Hromagh hold you down while I cut the tongue from your mouth.”

Josh stroked his chin. “It is strange,” he mused, “that you Thaynes are visiting me only one at a time.”

“Is that what you think we’ve been doing?” Hromagh boomed from behind him.