Level completed: 0%,
    EXP required for next Level: 0

GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod

Antivenom

“Tiger Lily, and Ricin,” I told her, smoothing her sweat-slicked hair back. “What do you need to fix it?”

Her eyes widened and a bitter laugh broke her trembling lips. “F-f-f-funeral.” She muttered.

I looked around the room. It was a simple rent-by-the-hour rectangular box in a Coronian sex club. It had a a bed and nightstands, chains hanging from the ceiling and sadomasochistic implements on the walls. There were two half orcs laying on the ground, one unconscious, the other groaning over a shattered knee. There was a greasy rat of a man standing with his back to the wall.

Jasper. Ayaka’s poisoner.

“No.” I lifted her in my arms and laid her on the bed, and then rounded on the grinning Jasper. “There must be an antivenom.” I reasoned. “You wouldn’t have kept that poison around without one. What do you want for it?”

“That, my dear Breaker,” the rat of a man replied, “is something of a long story.”

“He’s lying,” Ayaka croaked from the bed, her throat raw from vomiting. “There is no cure.”

“That’s all I needed to know.” I said. I stalked across the space separating me from the greasy bastard and clapped my hands to either side of his head, putting my thumbs in his eyes and shoving so his head snapped back and nearly cracked a hole in the wall. He crumpled to the ground, maybe alive, maybe dead. I didn’t really care.

I clambered into my clothing and boots - Jasper and his guards had caught me and the catwoman in the act - and picked Ayaka up as if she were a toy doll. We both still smelled like sex, like the long night of Animal Behavior we’d shared. But I had no time to steep in those memories. I had to save the nekojin.

I had to get her to the ocean.
    "The breeze did not stir. The stars did not twinkle. The trees did not sway and the brook did not babble.
    For the world did not turn when Am'aleh wept, and a tear had tumbled down her cheek."

EXP: 4,971, Level: 2
    Level completed: 99%, EXP required for next Level: 29
    Level completed: 99%,
    EXP required for next Level: 29

GP

Name
    Ayaka yoko
    Race
    Halfbreed Nekojin

View Profile
    Oh how quickly things had turned downhill, mere hours ago she was writhing beneath the man she came to know as Joshua ‘Breaker’ Cronen. Now, she was shivering, barely conscious. Her lips trembled as she feebly tried to pull the sheet around her form. The man had haphazardly wrapped her in it before scooping her up, as though she were a bride to be taken, their first steps into their new life.

But this was nothing of the sort. There was no new life, there wasn’t even a half life. Ayaka had been poisoned, badly. The nekojin could have dealt with the tigerlilly on her own. Jasper had known that. But the Ricin? There wasn’t a cure. Her only saving grace was that he hadn’t injected it into her, lest she already be dead.

Her body heaved, but there was nothing else for her to throw up. The toxins had worked their way through her system faster than anticipated. Her body was still heated and running on adrenaline from her romp with the man.

“H-hey…” Ayaka breathed. The fire in her voice had gone. The snide tone and the pointed look in her eyes had melted away like ice, leaving behind a watered down gaze. “H-hey…” A weak hand reached up to graze the stubble on Breakers cheek.

He glanced down at her.

“What are yo-ughnnn….”

“Shh,” he said as he carried her. “Save your strength. I’m taking you out of here, to get help.”

Help? There was no help. The only help that he could give her was a blade through the heart, so she would not suffer the horrible pain she knew was coming. Fuck… what a way to go. She finally meets someone who can match her speed n the bedroom, finally catches a break - and she’s dying. Who the hell was supposed to look after her younger sisters?

Fuck.

“I’m good as dead.” Ayaka mumbled as she turned her head into his chest. His skin felt cool compare to her burning forehead. Ayaka knew all too well what was going to happen. Fevers, vomiting, dehydration, kidney failure, cramping...the slow disintegration of her bodys cells then…

Then…

Hot tears spotted Breakers chest. Ayaka talked big, but she hadn’t wanted to die. Not like this. She wanted it to be on her own terms, not at the hands of some dickwad.

Well…

At least she was warm.

upon the cheek of night

EXP: 224,444, Level: 20
    Level completed: 0%, EXP required for next Level: 0

GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod
    The catgirl was weightless and shaking in my arms, like a dying breeze rattling round an evergreen glade. I strode out of the club and into the covered coach staging area, directing my hazel gaze at one of the valets on duty there. He caught my eye and snapped to attention, giving the nekojin in my arms a quizzical look.

“Prepare one of these coaches for us,” I ordered, nodding at the row of horse stalls.

“Which is yours?” He asked, raising a blond eyebrow.

“That one,” I picked the fanciest, frilliest looking carriage in hopes that it would also be the fastest.

“And the ticket for your horses, sir?”

“My what?” The only thing containing more poison than Ayaka’s body was my tone.

“The ticket… that you got… when you dropped your horses off, sir.” The valet said, gesturing at a pile of used up tickets on the desk.

I shouldered the fancily carved coach’s door open and laid Ayaka inside. She looked up at me.

“If you..a Thayne what are you? Really-cough- of fucking?”

“That’s right,” I whispered, laying a soothing hand on her brow. “I’m the Thayne of Fucking.”

I turned away from her and approached the valet, allowing the torchlight to lick at the Y-shaped scars on my cheeks. The young man gulped, perhaps recognizing me, or perhaps just interpreting my body language.

“Just prepare the bloody horses for us,” I growled. “Or you’ll get the same thing I gave the club owner.” I clapped my hands so hard and so fast that the valet jumped, and raced to secure a pair of horses to the carriage. I moved back to Ayaka, looking down at the catgirl as she lay on the ornately painted floor.

“You know…” She said, “I pray and pray and pray but hold no connection with any deity… they’re all.. P-pussies.”

I smiled and held her hand. “You may change your mind about that soon enough.”

She looked confused, her lips trembling to form another question.

“Why is it so cold?” Before I could answer, she went on. “Why are you red?” She lifted a shaking hand to touch my face, raking against the stubble on my cheek. “You look better in blue.”

“Hush now,” I said, and then leaned out to check on the valet. He had almost secured a pair of dappled geldings to the front of the carriage. “Get a move on, and there’s a gold crown in it for you!” I called. I leaned back to the trembling nekojin. “Where we’re going,” I said, “everything is in blue.”

GP

Name
    Ayaka yoko
    Race
    Halfbreed Nekojin

View Profile
    It’d been a few hours and her condition had only worsened. Ayaka lay curled up on the floor of the carriage, barely conscious. Her hair was matted, messy, and dirty. Her eyes red and blotchy. Her clothes, or lack thereof, completely disheveled. Fishnets were ripped, sleek dress stained with body fluids, she was no longer the visage of bountiful beauty, and was more akin to a newborn fowl who lost its way. Her body heaved with ragged breaths.

Her eyes fluttered open, staring at the side of the carriage in front of her. Beautiful designs were printed onto paper and pressed up against the interior of the carriage. She knew they were moving, the world around her rocked, but nowhere near as much as her insides.

So...this is what it felt like to die.

To be felled by her own profession, and to think it wasn’t even one of her own concoctions. Ayaka lifted a weak hand to push strands of chestnut hair away from her head. It was slick, wet with sweat. She had antidotes and antivenoms, she had brews and concoctions, contagions and remedies - but none could...would be able to fight a toxin like Ricin.

Where...did Jasper get such a thing?

The halfbreed Nekojin struggled to think, to string cohesive thoughts together. They trickled in and out of her mind with only the single daunting awareness setting in.

Her body was breaking down.

A tongue darted out to lick dried lips. “B-Brea-ker?”

The coach trundled to a halt and a pair of heavy boots hit the ground audibly. Moments later Breaker swung the door open and peered inside, concern in his eyes.

“Is there anything I can get you?” He asked.

Ayaka groaned at the sudden influx of light, and tried to breathe in the scent of fresh air. It smelt like a dying carcass in here. Oh wait. That was her.

“Body...dying. F-find Eteri. Blue hair. Sister.” Ayaka’s words were forced between raspy breaths. “Tell her. I’m sorry.”

Ayaka’s eyes fluttered shut as she exhaled, she didn’t have the strength to be conscious. If the man could find her flippant idiot of a sister, and at least let her know what happened - then hey - that was…. Something… right?

upon the cheek of night

GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod
    I backed out of the carriage and closed the door carefully, and then leaped back into the driver’s seat and snapped the reins. The horses whinnied and got trotting, going as fast as they dared in the inky night. My eyes could see further than theirs, and I gazed down the road, checking for oncoming dangers. Our path was clear, for the moment at least.

The wind whistled in my ears and played in my close cropped hair, chilling my body due to the dampness of my clothes. I ignored the secondary symptoms, refusing to let myself shiver. I had more pressing matters to concern myself with.

Trees whizzed by on both sides like skeletons in the night, becoming a shadowy blur which bled into my memory and shaped into the scene from the previous night. I had gone to the club to foster a business relationship between the manager and a Fallieni spice trader, and Jasper himself had convinced me to sample one of Ayaka’s “love potions”. I couldn’t explain the effects it had on me, beyond the fact that it had shattered my inhibitions. I’d become a creature of almost pure instinct, a primal animal.

It turned out, that was pretty much Ayaka’s type.

I bore the responsibility for the nekojin’s life. If I hadn’t attended the club that night, she never would have wound up getting poisoned by her rat of an employer. She had… submitted to me, which was a new experience, but it felt as though she should be under my protection. She was under my protection, and I would not let her die.

There were limits to medicine, to antidotes and antivenoms… but there was no limit to the divinity of my lady.

Ayaka had spent parts of the night trying to guess what I was. Her soul sight had made it clear I was no ordinary human. Eventually I had told her. I was a demigod, the champion and strong right hand of the ocean deity Am’aleh. My goddess could shift the tides with as much effort as I drew breath. She would be able to heal Ayaka. She would.

The coach’s wheels bounced and spun over hills and through valleys, following the hardpack road. It was fortunate that the club, just a few miles west of the outskirts of Radasanth, sat so close to the ocean. By the time the sun peeked its red eye over the horizon, the dust-covered carriage and driver came to a stop on the side of the road. Nearby, through a stand of trees, the ocean called out tenderly.

I leaped down and opened the carriage door. Ayaka lay limply on the floor, her tail drooping out as the door opened. Her ears seemed slack, her skin yellowish and clammy. I slid an arm beneath her shoulders and pulled her out, carrying her into the trees without giving the carriage a second thought. She was under my protection. She could not die.

“These trees are hers,” she said blearily, not making any sense. I maneuvered us carefully through the little spit of woods and then raced over the pebble beach and into the foamy green shallows. I waded in up to my waist and then crouched, sinking Ayaka slowly into the salt water.

“S’cold,” she mumbled. “Why?”

“To save you,” I whispered. “Pray with me now.”

Am’aleh, I thought, I know you are here. We sit in your embrace even now. Please do not allow this young one to die. Her state is my fault. Take it out on me. I am already devoted to you… but grant me this boon, and I will forever remember the favor. Please, my goddess… sap the poison from Ayaka’s veins.

GP

Name
    Ayaka yoko
    Race
    Halfbreed Nekojin

View Profile
    Her body was gently placed in the water and with Breakers strong calloused hands supporting her, she floated limply amidst the glistening surface. The morning rays bounced off the surface and made it look as though the Nekojin had been laid upon a carpet of shifting, shimmering sapphire.

Despite the cold touch of water soaking into her Ayaka was burning, her insides churning as the poison worked its way through her veins.. Ayaka’s skin had taken on a sickly yellow taint as her kidneys began to fail her. Her eyes were glazed as they fluttered open to stare at the blurry visage in front of her.

Breaker?

No.

It wasn’t just him, something was shrouding him, about to envelop him. Blindingly bright as it emerged from the trickling waters. “L-look out…” She breathed as a slender, shaking up barely lifted itself out the water. There was no strength left in her. It fell back into the water, diving below its surface.

The gentle ebb and flow of the waves soothed her. The way her hands, hair, and tail swayed with the gentle currents felt as though the ocean itself was attempting to lull her into a sleep, one she knew would last forever.

“Am’aleh,” Breaker whispered, “Am’aleh please…”

If Ayaka was coherent enough, she’d recognize the name - it was one of the Thaynes of Althanas. She would have recalled having to pray to her every ninth month of the year, the time between Winter and Spring. But she wasn’t. She barely recognized the name, barely heard his voice. Her attempt of warning him against the sparkling mass of white and blue behind him had fallen on deaf ears. What didn’t fall on deaf ears however, was the strange lilting voice.

“What poor soul have you brought into my depths, oh champion?”

How to describe it? The woman sounded as though she were everywhere, all around Ayaka. Her voice was modulated, her tone wispy. Her silvery words were sympathetic. Ayaka was sure she was hallucinating. “F-fuck off.” She managed.

Was that laughter? The water pulsed with mirth. Ayaka swore she felt the current shift, instead of the steady ebb and flow, to and fro, she felt it begin to circle her.

“She has spirit,” the strange voice said. “Such a dose of ricin would have tamed most by now. Would have killed most.”

’Great...about to die and I’m hallucinating.’

Ayaka groaned, if she had the strength she would have pushed herself out of the water. She did not. ’Weird ass fuckin’ Thayne man and his weird ass burrial got me all loopy. Hell… I’m telling myself shit I already know. I know my high poison tolerance. I know I should be dead. I sorta wish I was.’

“Her will to live is weak,” the mellifluous voice said. “I cannot maintain a mortal coil that wishes to rid itself of the spirit…”

“Ayaka!” Breaker snapped, slapping her across the face. “You have to fight! Stay alive…”

Her eyes snapped open as she felt the sharp sting against her flesh. They struggled to focus on him. “N-no cure, dipshit.” she mumbled as she went to slap him back. Well, tried to. The best she could do was lift her hand out of the water only for it to fall short of his jaw. That strength wasn’t there moments ago. Her eyebrows furrowed. She shouldn’t be able to lift her arms.

Hell...come to think of it…

The blinding,cramping pain had dulled. Not entirely, no. She still felt it tugging at her body and churning her insides. Her limbs still burned and her head felt as though it were being crushed - but it was ever so slightly more tolerable.

“Whossat?” Ayaka asked as her eyes focused on that same glistening figure behind Breaker.

upon the cheek of night

GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod
    “Meet my goddess, Am’aleh.” I said as the Thayne took shape behind me. She wore the form of a woman made of water, her skin and dress different shades of the same cascading blue. I could feel her magic at work in the sea, touching the catgirl, making her well again. There may not have been a cure for ricin, but there was no limit to divine right.

Am’aleh came to stand beside me, her aqueous hair floating in the gentle salt breeze. I lifted Ayaka to her feet, supporting her beneath the shoulders, and my goddess extended her endless arms around us both in her healing embrace.

Ayaka tried to fight the embrace, squirming. It was almost a relief to see her moving again. “W-hwho-whah..”

The magic swelled like a great wave at sea, rising in crescendo without ceremony. I felt Am’aleh’s love lift us both, felt her kiss my soul and brush Ayaka’s body free of the toxins contaminating it. I tried to remember how the healing magic worked, so I might replicate it on my own, but it was too powerful and complex even for me. Only a Thayne could give the gift of life to a body on death’s door.

The goddess’ omnipotent voice echoed around us again.

“A great debt is owed for this favor, champion. Do not allow my act to have been in vain.”

The magic faded, like water running through a sieve. The temperature and movement of the water around us returned to normal, and I was left holding Ayaka upright in waist-deep water.

‘I fuckin’ hate magic…” She groaned as she struggled to stand, her knees buckled and she was relying heavily on me for support. “I feel like a fuckin troll sat on me.”

“No spell is perfect,” I said, turning her toward the shore and lifting her above the water to carry her. As we landed on dry ground she clawed with growing strength at my face, and I set her down and supported her again. “You should be grateful for Am’aleh’s gift,” I said as I steered her back toward the trees separating us from the road.

“W-who? That Thayne of ...what was it….storms? Water? Was that who that fuckin voice belonged to? Fuck….I thought I was insane.”

“I thought the same thing, the first time she spoke to me.” I said as we made our way through plants and between trees. Vegetation and dirt clung to our wet clothing, and I could feel the catgirl’s fatigue in the way she leaned on me. The poison might have been drawn out, but she still needed a place to lay down and recover. “But you are not insane. You have been given a great honor. I know not what I will have to do to repay her.”

We staggered out of the treeline and came to the stretch of road where we’d left the carriage.

It was empty.

I sighed. Either some opportunistic thief had happened along at the right time, or the horses had simply forgotten that dropped reins mean stay still. Either way, I was left to care for the ailing catgirl, alone and without transportation on a lonely stretch of Coronian coast.

I decided we’d walk downhill, and got us moving along the road.

GP

Name
    Ayaka yoko
    Race
    Halfbreed Nekojin

View Profile
    Her entire body ached, she didn’t want to be pushing herself so hard. Ayaka wasn’t one hundred percent sure what happened, but she was fairly certain she was meant to be dead. There was no coming back from Ricin poisoning. Not like that. Then she had apparently met a goddess?

Ayaka shook her head, then instantly regretted it. It felt like she was being knocked around. Caramel locks still clung to her face. “I’m a fuckin’ high priestess. I’m too dainty for this roughin’ it shit. Fuck. I don’t think a Thayne ever responded. ‘Spose I’ve met two now huh?”

“I’m not a Thayne,” Breaker reminded her. “Not yet.”

Ayaka turned to glance at him, she furrowed her eyes. “Coulda fooled me, soul practically reeks of the shit I-” Ayaka paused, her body shook and she had to turn her head to the side to heave up bile and remnants of toxin from her body.

She drooped, sliding out of Breakers grip. He quickly positioned himself to get a better hold on her. “Ya don’t have to...do this…” Ayaka mumbled. She didn't’ understand it. Why he had helped her. All they did was fuck. Quite frankly she should have been more careful around Jasper, it was her own cockiness that got her into the situation. “I’ll be fine.”

“You’ll be roadkill, if I leave you here.” Breaker said, hooking his arm beneath hers again. “Come on, we’d best keep moving.”

“Fuck you. I almost died.” I hissed at him in protest. Still, I pressed on. There was no way in fuckin’ hell I was gonna let him lord this over me any more. I tried to push away to stand on my own two feet, I lasted several metres before faltering and he had to catch me again.

“Don’t push yourself too hard.”

I wanted to be angry at him, but I didn’t have the strength. Even the usual Ayaka brand glare didn’t waver him. He just stared at me with cool, hazel eyes beneath a brow furrowed with concern. Dammit. Why did he have to look at me like that? I wasn’t weak.

Even so...I knew I couldn’t keep this up forever. I had my limitations. “I...I need rest…” I mumbled as I staggered again.

“I was hoping we’d find a house somewhere,” Breaker said, “but we could walk for miles out here without finding anything. We’ll find someplace with a little shelter, and you can lay down.”

I nodded and we continued down the path. Half an hour had passed before Breaker tugged me into the direction of the forest, having caught sight of something. Apparently his vision was fuckin’ amazing cause I didn’t see shit. “Where we goin?”

“I think I saw a cave - ah. Here.” He reached out and quite literally tore a branch clean off the trunk of a tree to reveal an entrance to a small cave. It was small, small enough that he and I both had to duck to enter. Walking forward a few more metres lead us to an opening. It was clear it was once used for hibernation. The stench of fur filled my nostrils, but whatever was once here, was long gone. There were no tracks leading in or out the cave nor signs of recent stirring. The cave walls were dry but the air brisk. “Home sweet fuckin’ home, huh?”

upon the cheek of night

GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod
    Ayaka crawled into the cavern and collapsed just within its jaws. I turned and stepped back into the thick of the trees, stooping low and snatching up dead branches wherever I saw them. In short order I had an armload of dried twigs, as well as a few heavier pieces of wood. I circled back to the mouth of the cavern and knelt perhaps a foot shy of the opening, building a nest of kindling.

“W-w-what’re you d-d-doing?” Ayaka said from the cavern, shivering badly. “You got no matches. You know f-f-fire magic?”

“Don’t need it,” I replied. If you can move your hands fast enough, you can literally make fire by rubbing two sticks together, which is what I did. The friction between the two bits of deadwood built up until a flame sprouted from one stick, and I transferred it to the nest quickly and smoothly. The flame caught, and before long I had a merry little fire going.

If only I could heat Ayaka up as easily. I crawled into the little cave next to her and pressed my equally damp body against hers. Feeling the violence of her shiver worried me. The catwoman’s frigid hand clasped mine, searching for warmth and comfort.

The licking warmth of the flames reached us, and with me on one side and the fire on the other, Ayaka’s shivers began to subside.

“How are you feeling?” I asked.

“Should have fuckin’… let me die… to the ricin.” She said between long, deep breaths.

“You will be well soon. Am’aleh has shown it as her will.” She scoffed at that, but I saw a glimmer of hope in her eyes.

“Do you actually… know a Thayne?” Ayaka said, her disbelief raw and trembling.

“Intimately.” I replied. “She is my patron, and I am her champion.”

“I’d have called fuckin’ bullshit on that about two hours ago,” she winced. “Still might, I haven’t survived yet.”

I placed my hands on her back and massaged the large muscles there gently, easing her tension and drawing the faintest shadow of a purr from the catgirl’s lips.

“I really thought I was dead,” she said in a soft, mewling voice after listening to the fire crackle awhile.

“You’re not,” I assured her, “and you will be well. Am’aleh-”

Thunder rumbled overhead, and I heard the skies open up like a faucet.

Rain poured down, dousing our fire and seeping through the loam, threatening to invade our haven.

“Has shown it as her will.” I finished quietly, drawing Ayaka tighter against me and reaching past her. Beneath my influence the water rose up in a wall guarding us and froze solid. It became darker within the cavern, and I felt Ayaka tense as she realized she was trapped.
    “Do not be afraid.” I whispered. “Breathe, and have faith.”

GP

Name
    Ayaka yoko
    Race
    Halfbreed Nekojin

View Profile
    “Fuck faith.” she spat. Ayaka wasn't exactly afraid she just didn't like the idea of being trapped. Especially with an ice welding Thayne loving demi human.

But…

He had helped her this far. There was little reason to believe anything would happen. They already fucked like animals. “Don't go thinking I'm gonna fucking fall for you now.” She muttered. Ayaka could feel his warm breath tickle the back of her neck as he laughed softly.

She wrapped her arms further around herself, pressing her back against his chest. She could practically feel his heartbeat against her damp skin, through the sodden clothes.

“I fuckin hate magic. It's unpredi-t-table. Alchemy… Po- potion making. It's a science. Any fucker can conjure shit. Making concoctions. Thats real art.”

“No doubt you are right,” Breaker murmured. “And yet, you have magic to thank for your life.”

Ayaka winced. “Yeh.. And I hate knowing that.” she didn't like having to rely on an outside source to save her. Sure, she was a high priestess and much of her time was spent praying but she had lite faith in self serving thaynes.

“Bit catty of her to send a storm right after saving me don't you think?”

“Perhaps it’s a commentary on your attitude.”

Ayaka turned, rolling over in his grip. This felt better. She pressed her arms up against him and nestled her chin into the crook of his neck. For a man dedicated to a woman of watery storms and shit, and who could magic up a wall of ice.. He was ridiculously warm. Radiating heat.

“Good to know the Thaynes hate me too.”she mumbled bitterly. Sure, she had the reverred respect of her town but she left it under the guise of a pilgrimage to pursue more profitable means. Ayaka hated the fakery of it all. So she did what she did best. Got drunk and pushed it all away.

“How the fuck do you even get to know a Thayne like that?”

He took a deep breath, his chest expanding and contracting as he considered the question.

“My lady first found an interest in me when I died during a tournament. She saw fit to raise me back to a mortal life… some time after that, I realized what she had done and became her devout follower. Our relationship is… unique.”

Ayaka scoffed. “Sounds like ya fuck her and do her bidding if ya ask me.” He was beating around the bush, but the way his body shifted against her. The way he placed emphasis on the word intimate. Yeh. Didn't take a steam engineer to figure that one out. “If thats the benefits perhaps I should start looking for a thayne to become my patron, know any willing for a fuck?”

“You would not understand,” he said, his shoulders rolling as he shrugged against her. “No matter how I explained it.”

“Not much to explain.” Ayaka mumbled. She was feeling better, slowly, she had a feeling she'd improve if she wasn't soaking wet. “Don't explain it to me. I don't care.” Why should she? She had no feelings for the man. She was making conversation. It was the least she could do to distract herself from the cold.

But, part of her was serious. She was a priestess. She prayed a fuck tonne. So why shouldn't she seek out a Thayne? She doubted she could devote herself so irrevocably so like Breaker had. Still…

Her chest rose and fell as she drew in a heavy sigh. “I should go home. Back to being the high priestess. No sex dens. No trouble. Simple. Boring. Safe.”