GP

Name
    Glacies Frost
    Race
    Human

View Profile

Gilded Eye and Ruby Heart (Closed)

(Closed to Flamebird)

Glacies flipped through his notebook and circled the entry he'd made from the ledger about a mission to kill an ancient creature called a “steam golem.” He tapped his new pen against his chin and thought about it. He hadn't yet done an expedition in Alerar, and finishing this mission would give him a foundation to work from. It seemed simple enough, tear some ancient mechanical beast apart and harvest the parts for extra money on top of the reward money for simply ridding the country of a threat.

“It would be difficult to defeat something that uses Steam with my power alone, though. I'll actually need to conscript a few mercenaries, maybe a spellcaster who can handle a steam mech...” he said as he slowly closed the notebook. The man sitting next to him at the tavern table smiled and shook his head.

“Boss, you're overthinking this stuff,” the man said as he signaled a nearby waitress. Glacies glared out over the rim of his glasses at the taller, bearded man with a scowl.

“Yes, and that's what keeps us alive,” Glacies said in a rough growl. “I won't leave anything to chance that I don't have to, even if that means splitting the spoils with mercenaries.” He flipped a gold piece through the air at the waitress as she stood over them waiting for his companion's order. “Order whatever you like. I'll take a bottle of wine, middle quality, something fermented recently.”

His man looked at him with a somewhat bemused expression and said, “I'll take a flagon of ale and keep 'em coming.”

Glacies brushed an imaginary mote of dust off his white coat and looked up toward the vaulted ceiling of the establishment. The old wood was rigid from years of settling and ran through the establishment like a fossilized ribcage.

The ice mage looked around at the other patrons of the tavern. They all seemed to be here on their own business and didn't much seem to care to socialize outside of their own small crews of people.

“When they told me that this tavern was perfect for talking privately, I didn't think they meant that's what the clientele tended toward. I was rather hoping they meant it was too loud to make out what the next table was talking about without standing right there on top of them,” he said.

“I told you, Glacies, Alerar isn't like Corone or Scara Brae.”

“Micah, you know I'm aware, but even then... this is different,” he insisted.

The fighting man shrugged and took a swig of his ale as it was laid on the table with a clang that was somewhat louder due to the lack of noise.

“We're a favorite of businessmen of all sorts. They tend to want it kept quiet, so our bouncers don't let the working stiffs in if their looking to be loud,” the waitress said with a half smile as she put the wine on the table carefully. “Basically if you don't have two gold to rub together, you can take yourself to the docks and spend your hard earned coppers there. You want the rough and tumble crowd? You look there.”

Glacies merely nodded and slid another silver across the table.

“And what's this for?”

“The information. I'm a businessman, but I deal in a far more dangerous business than most. These fine folks seem more at home in the bustle of city life than in parts more... wild.”

“...What exactly does someone as well to do as you look do that could be so dangerous?”

“We call ourselves the Back Up Heroes,” he said simply. “We're basically adventurers for hire, but our specialty is finishing quests started but never finished for whatever reason, be it the death of the original team sent in or them reneging on their contract. Even if they don't hire us, during our downtime between jobs we follow failed expeditions and take over where they... ended, I suppose, and continue from there. What I need are people who aren't afraid to get their hands dirty and who'll do their share of the work.”

“Oh,” she responded simply and scooped up the silver. “And I suppose you sit comfortably in an inn until your boys make it back?”

Micah laughed and slapped his hand against the smooth wood of the table beneath them before he said, “As if we could keep this reckless dung hoarder away from the front lines! No, he personally vanguards every adventure we go on, and likely will until we have a second company to send out on missions. We're just starting out at the moment, but the work is plentiful if you know where to look, and-”

“I know where to look,” Glacies said. He took the bottle of wine, drained it in one go and placed the bottle gently on the table.”Soon we'll be leaving to finish a quest taken on by another team that... failed. I won't say much more, but I do need to find some more people. If you could have the word put out that an adventuring party is looking for a few extra hands, swords, and spells, I'd be grateful. I'll send Micah down to that bar as well to do a little recruiting. In the meantime, do you know a good inn nearby?”

“There's the Singing Trout next door. Our owner owns it. Cleanest linens in town.”

“Nah, we need something that...” he glanced at Micah. “Well, we don't want your master having to burn his linens after we've slept on them.” Micah snorted derisively but didn't argue.

“Ah, the Shivering Salamander down the road caters to the more... worldly adventurers, and they're right across from a bath house if you need it,” the waitress said.

“Now that sounds heavenly,” Glacies said as he handed her another gold. “Let my man drink as much as he'd like. He'll stumble to the inn soon enough.” Without another word he slipped quietly out the door and made his way down the market street. His boots kicked up dust behind him as he made his way quickly toward the Shivering Salamander to reserve a room before the nightly rush went into full swing. He'd head straight to the bath house from there.
    Last edited by Glacies; 07-22-2018 at 05:05 PM.