EXP: 5,090, Level: 3
    Level completed: 3%, EXP required for next Level: 3,910
    Level completed: 3%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,910

GP

Name
    McKinley JoAnne Parish

Cosmic Combustion -open.-

The universe used to be just a twinkle in the Gods' eyes once upon a time.

The rain beat down on the hearth, bathing all the sin from it. The large droplets of water pounding against the dirt like war drums. The hour of smoke before everything turned fully dark. The world around was casted with a gray hue.

McKinley JoAnne Parish held her arms out letting the rain wash away everything, her fears, hopes and dreams. Her fiery locks that usually bounced with a natural curl were weighed down falling to almost the small of her back. Her face upturned towards the heavens, eyes shut as if she could have been a statue. The plush pink pillows that made up her lips were parted slightly. Freckles that peppered her ivory complexion almost transparent. The skaeth’s lilac sundress looked like it could have been painted on her frame at this point.

“Mistress,” a masculine voice had brought her back from her peaceful haven.

Fluidly she spun around, her wet locks swinging and clung to her cheek. “Yes, Enzo?” She breathed.

“A large storm is rolling in, Mistress.” He bowed his head, humbly.

As if on cue the dark sky lit up with the strike of lightning. McKinley’s dark orbs danced up to the sky, the flash of electricity painted it with light. The large storm clouds now visible to the naked eye. A smile pulled at the edges of her lips as she glanced back at the man. His body strong, one that could be a of warrior. His face always holding a serious mask, thin lips in a tight line. He was indeed handsome, his dark long, dark locks swept back into a low ponytail.

They had met a few weeks ago, she had helped him when he was wounded, nursed him back to health. Gifted him with some of her blood with him being a vampire. He had stated that saving a vampire’s life was a sacred thing and pledged himself to her - he had been with her since.

“Mistress,” his rough voice pulling her back from observing him.

He stepped closer to her, his strong, calloused hand stretched out as his fingers grazed her shoulder. His brows pulled together with concern as his dark ember eyes seemed to frown on their own. His hand slowly moving from her pale flesh back to his side.

“You’re cold... “ He said more as a complaint then a question.

“I’m fine…” She lied, as she had these last few months. She figured if she said it enough maybe even then she would believe herself.

“Please come in, I will have the Inn keep warm you some stew.” He murmured, switching weight from one foot to the other.

“I have no desire to eat,” she whispered, her gaze falling to the city that now seemed like a ghost town once the rain had poured down. She sighed, her hands clasping into the front of her. “I will be in shortly… I just need a few more moments.” She said, her gaze turning back towards her campanion.

Enzo’s forehead creased slightly as his lips turned downward. He did not argue with her though, he simply gave her a curt nod before he turned and went into the Inn they had decided to stop at. McKinley breathed out once he left but her shoulders dropped slightly. The look of defeat marring her angelic features. Her hand touched her trembling lips as she closed her eyes tightly as if to shield herself from the sight of something gut wrenching.

There was a hole inside her chest that seemed to ache with the absence of so many. Clearing her throat she swallowed around the lump that started to form. All the emotions that she felt come crashing down on her, she pushed back into a bottle - tightening the cap on it. She rolled out her shoulders and neck, turning she heard a twig off in the distance snap.

Her gaze danced around, trying to find the cause of the sound. “Hello?” She called out into the pouring rain. “Is someone there?”
    Last edited by loves.blessing.; 08-26-2019 at 06:14 PM.

Newcomer

EXP: 12,335, Level: 4
    Level completed: 67%, EXP required for next Level: 1,665
    Level completed: 67%,
    EXP required for next Level: 1,665

GP

Name
    Alyssa Snow
    From the shade of a large oak, a small feminine figure came to view. Another strike of lightning over the mountains gave color to her light blond hair as it stuck to her neck and shoulders. Compared to the woman standing in the open, Alyssa looked dry despite being just damp enough to be miserable. At the sound of the stranger’s call, Alyssa raised a gloved hand.

“Sorry to startle you,” she smiled. She kept herself under the foliage of the tree line in hopes to mitigate the weather. “Not to pry, but it can’t be good for you to just be standing there in this rain.”

Alyssa hoped to beat the storm to town, but her luck ran out just shy of the mark. Despite the discomfort of wet clothes, after three days on the road in the humid summer heat, cold rain was a welcomed reprieve. Thankfully, the overpowering aroma of rainfall kept the scent of her desperate need of a shower at bay.

“I’m headed for the Inn,” Alyssa began as she kept to the tree line, but started walking toward the smell of baked goods and stewed meat. “How about you? Care to share some food and a drink?”

Adventurer

GP

Name
    McKinley JoAnne Parish
    McKinley jumped slightly at the timid reply of a female. She had honestly thought that it was her imagination running away with her again. Clearing her throat quietly she straightened her spine, eyeing the woman up and down. Sitting quietly she listened to the woman offering her company to the Inn. Pursing and un-pursing her lips at the thought of company with a complete stranger. Enzo would not be happy with the thought of her with an unknown person, protective of her like a body guard. "I have a room at the Inn, I was going to head that way, anyway." Her voice was soft, almost timid.

Her own clothing stuck to her body like a second skin, the rain still beating down on her and now the other woman as well. "We should head there soon before we catch our deaths in this storm."

Kinley out stretched her hand towards the short road that lead to the inn. She knew in that Enzo would either be right at the door waiting for her or sitting at the closet table to the front window. He seemed to take his life oath seriously in keeping her safe and alive as she had him all those days ago. The company of the large brute at times was nice as she was so lonely having no one around her anymore.

Newcomer

GP

Name
    Alyssa Snow
    Alyssa smiled in reply to her future company for the night. As much as she could, she kept to the tree line as the two made their way into town. The roads already turned to a sloppy mix of stone and mud. Where the wheels of wagons previously wore down grooves, two small brooks meandered from building to building. In the distance, just loud enough to hear over the strong gusts, the creak, groan and crash of a tree echoed. The sudden storm proved stronger than Alyssa had anticipated and that meant her stay would be longer than intended.

When Alyssa arrived at the Inn, she reached for the door. The moment her fingers touched the cold bronze, it swung open to reveal the frame of a rather handsome yet pale gentleman.

“I’m sorry,” she apologized. The man’s gaze unsettled her because he appeared to stare straight through her as if made of wet cloth. Which, after the time it took to get to shelter, she may as well have been. It was only until she noticed his gaze trace to her acquaintance did she connect the two.

“Excuse me.” Alyssa slipped past him and stood off to the side where she removed the sopping shawl that afforded little protection from he storm. Some of the patrons in the in fell silent while she hung it on the hooks by the door. The reaction was one she had grown accustomed. She slung the large rifle from her back and propped it up by a table near the front window. It looked unlike any other black powder weapon available today. Even those adventurers that were fortunate enough to see a cartridge firearm often raised a brow in curiosity at her weapons.

Alyssa took a seat, careful not to accidentally sit on the grip of the large, equally unusual pistol on her thigh or the blade strapped on the opposite side. As uncomfortable as they were to wear while sitting for long periods of time, this was an unfamiliar stop. In the world’s current state of disarray, it became increasingly difficult to let one’s guard down.

As she was sure her guest was to arrive shortly, Alyssa flagged down a server and held up two fingers. With a nod, the cute waitress disappeared into the kitchen.
    Last edited by Alyssa Snow; 08-25-2019 at 05:54 PM.

Adventurer

GP

Name
    McKinley JoAnne Parish
    McKinley followed into the Inn's door shortly after the woman that had emerged from the treeline. Her simple dress clung so tightly to her skin from the rain that it could have been painted onto her creamy complexion. Her bright gaze down at her feet as she walked threw the door running it what could have easily been a stone wall, Enzo. Stumbling backwards, a strong hand wrapped around her upper arm, a gasp parted her face. A look of shock marring her angelic features. Pulling her towards him to steady her step before his hand disappeared as quickly as it had caught her. A confused look twisting her face as she looked up towards her companion. "Enzo, what are you doing just standing here in the doorway like a statue?" Kinely's voice soft but still firm a hint of irritation dripped from it. For a moment her vampire friend looked down at her blinking almost with his own look of shock from the tone that she had taken with him.

"I did not know we were expecting company," he said plainly. His dark gaze bore into her own eyes.

"We weren't I met her outside." McKinley said

"In the storm? And this is not strange or suspicious to you?" His thick brows furrowed, pulling together with agitation.

"No it didn't as I was out in the storm, now come if you can be nice you may sit with us." McKinley made her way towards the table that her new found acquaintance had occupied. As she walked farther away she heard the big brute scoff with annoyance before walking briskly to close the distance between the two before she reached the table. She felt his breath on her ear before she heard him say quietly, "she has weapons. What kind of small petite woman carries an arsenal like that, a rifle and a hand gun." His voice was filled with concern.

Kinley stopped abruptly, almost causing the giant man that was following so close behind her, run into her. Slowly she turned to him, her bright icy blue gaze bore into his own. "Maybe a woman that does not spontaneously com bust into a skaeth. Leave it be until I say otherwise." Her tone was sharp and authoritative as she turned on the tips of her toes quickly walking towards the table once more. Flinching only when she heard her friend respond, "yes Mistress," knowing that she had told him many of times not to call her that.

Taking a calming breath she stopped at the seat across from the blonde bombshell beauty. "Sorry for the delay, this is Enzo." Her hand fluidly moved to gesture to the giant wall of muscle that was behind her. Almost as if on que, Enzo bowed his head deeply, pulling out a seat for her sit. She gifted him with a kind smile before sitting down scooting into the table. Her gaze glanced towards the woman before returning to Enzo, she nodded at the seat next to her. "Sit with us Enzo, no need to lurk around." As quickly as her gaze had found her companion she moved back towards the equally soaked girl. "I am McKinley or Kinley by the way."

Newcomer

GP

Name
    Alyssa Snow
    When her acquaintance entered, Alyssa confirmed her assumptions of the tall stranger. She watched carefully as they discussed between one another. The nerves and hesitation she witnessed in reaction to her armaments came at no surprise. However, the young homunculus began to question the nature of this gentleman. With her unique abilities to catalyze various forms of energy and magic, she noticed his general aura eluded to something supernatural. It made her just as uneasy as he likely was.

Kinley took a seat at the table, still just as wet as she was outside. The fabric of her attire looked as if a second skin and left little to the imagination. As she introduced her companion and gave her name, the teenage waitress arrived with two glasses of water and a look of concern. Three bodies sat at the table instead of two.

“Some water to get you started,” the young woman interjected before Alyssa could reply. She looked at Enzo timidly. “I’ll bring out another glass shortly, but is there anything I could get you started with?”

“I’ll take a bowl of whatever you have stewing. Also, a glass of house wine. Red preferably.” Alyssa gestured to her guests and let them make their replies. After collecting everyone’s order, the girl hurriedly escaped to the kitchen.

“Enzo, Kinley, nice to meet you,” Alyssa finally greeted. “My name is Alyssa. Thanks for offering to share your company. These long journeys can be quite lonely. Lucky for you, it seems you have a companion.”

The homunculus’s aquamarine gaze met with Enzo’s. She smiled at him in hopes to ease his concerns and to hide her own. Then, gesturing to Kinley, Alyssa asked, “It’s not much, but I could help you dry off a little quicker if you like?”

A few of the gunner’s stones were still empty from the journey. Between bandits, wildlife, and general survival, a couple of rounds still needed to be charged. Alyssa’s go-to ammunition tended to be ice and on a day like today, there was no shortage of water. One significantly drier person meant one more round to help keep Alyssa safe or alive.

“I guess you could say I do a bit of magic.” The homunculus continued. Some of the patrons within earshot and actively listening in made low conversation amongst one another. Guns and magic? It was an odd combination. Especially in such an unassuming package as a twenty something year old girl.
    Last edited by Alyssa Snow; 08-28-2019 at 01:24 AM.

Adventurer

GP

Name
    McKinley JoAnne Parish
    McKinley looked over at her companion, his usually well kept dark locks now disheveled as he ran a tense hand through his thick mane. This lips in a thin line as his gaze swept from the waitress towards her. She nodded encouragingly at him but he sat there like the statue he could tend to be. Frowning she looked up at the waitress that seemed to be panicked. "I will take a spiced wine and if you have something a little bit more vampire friendly for my comrade here." She said the last part a little bit quieter as the stigma that came with being a vampire was not very palatable for most. Kinley could feel the intense gaze of Enzo bore into the side of her face as she smiled an innocent smile to the girl as she nodded, scurrying away quickly. Finally she looked towards the stiff brute as she looked almost mortified at outing him publicly. "You should learn to breathe more, you look like a man made of stone," she quipped.

Her bright gaze turned quickly back to the small girl that had introduced herself as Alyssa. She smiled friendly though one that did not meet her eyes. "Indeed Enzo is good company when he isn't in a brooding mood. You'll have to forgive his intense gaze as he is skeptical of strangers, well and I suppose just people in general." Her eyes danced over towards him, his arms now folded tightly across his muscled chest. Rolling her eyes, shaking her head she looked back towards Alyssa. "So you are traveling? Aimlessly or a specific destination?" Her brows pulled together with curiosity.

McKinley tilted her head as she arched an eyebrow, magic... Such an odd thing to announce so publicly and to offer to help a stranger as she had. This world was cold and bitter, people in it mostly selfish and corrupted, others working under the thumb of a dictator. The red head seen her share of ugliness, the same cruelness that had driven her from her cottage, her home and haven that now laid in ruins. "Magic," she said softly, the word felt foreign rolling off of her tongue. "What type of magic?"

An uneasiness crept into her chest, the tightness almost crippling as she gripped arms of the chair. Her knuckles white as she felt the darkness within her stir to life at the mention of magic. The cold that came with the black abyss, crawling at the core of her being. She tried to swallow around a large ball of emotions that seemed to form in her throat. Such a simple word able to trigger such a negative response from her, the insecurities of her own abilities as a skaeth causing all this turmoil. Just as she felt as she was about to spontaneously com bust she felt a cool hand on her arm, the fingers gripped her flesh and squeezed. Her lips parted as she cleared her throat, eyes glancing to her companion that for the first time showed an emotion that wasn't an impassive expression. Enzo scooted his chair closer to McKinley, his nearness keeping the sinking feeling at bay.

"You will have to forgive her reaction to your openness with your magic, she has not had the best experience with such abilities." Enzo's voice was deep yet gentle as he didn't look to the girl named Alyssa as he spoke.

The waitress came with a tray of glasses an a bowl, balancing it with skill on her small arm. Quickly she sat down the cups in front of the right patron, then giving the blonde haired beauty her stew she had requested. Enzo nodded at her, encouraging her to leave after she had finished. He picked up the spiced wine handing it to a frazzled McKinley, who quickly accepted taking a few greedy drinks before he settled more into the chair next to her.

"I am sorry, I am a bit unstable when it comes to magic," the red head said barely above a whisper.

Newcomer

GP

Name
    Alyssa Snow
    Vampire.

The word stuck in her head after hearing it. Alyssa knew little about them aside from being undead and the unpleasant stigma of anything undead in Raiaera. That alone meant Enzo was a problem. It also complicated Alyssa’s perception of Kinley. The homunculus had the suspicion something about her was off, but to also be traveling with a monster...

Furthermore, the mere mention of magic triggered a response unusual to her prior experiences. For a moment, the warmth and light common in all living things faded from Kinley. It was only brief, but raised some questions and concerns. In Raiaera, everything tied back to magic. It was as common as the glass of water sitting in front of her. Alyssa struggled with what to say. Across from the oaken table sat a woman crippled by the mention of magic, but oddly comfortable with a creature cursed by it.

“I’m sorry,” Alyssa apologized with sincerety in her voice and eyes. “Something terrible must have happened to you. I didn’t know.”

The aroma of her food stirred her stomach into a muffled growl. She thought it inappropriate to eat at a time like this even though she hardly knew her guests. She also felt threatened by Enzo, and sympathetic toward Kinely. Alyssa knew the darker sides of magic. She herself slayed one of the Forgotten Ones, mages known throughout the land for their abuse and bastardization of magic. Alyssa’s eyes turned downward and she paused in silence. Her blood was the same as Pode. In that moment, the homunculus felt partially responsible for her guest’s pain.

“It’s no different,” Alyssa muttered. In her swell of guilt, her history as the Empress and the people whose lives she strived to make better came to mind. Vincent, Rayleigh, Stella, Tobias...

Tobias...

Alyssa looked up to Kinley as Enzo consoled her. Her clothes still dripped from the rain and all she offered was to help her dry. Magic, like any tool, was bound by the will of its user. It wasn’t the tool which harmed her, but the person wielding it. In her realization, she felt wrong about her feelings toward the vampire. Perhaps even someone with such a negative stigma could also be misunderstood. What a sad life to live.

“Magic is just a tool.” Alyssa’s voice started soft. She found her voice and determination filled her expression and tone. “Someone used it for the wrong reasons, Kinely. A hammer can build a home or be used to crush a knight’s armor. The person who holds that hammer determines what it will do.”

Alyssa stretched out a gloved hand as if to take the redhead’s but stopped and pulled away. That kind of behavior would be inappropriate wouldn’t it? Only people who are close do that kind of thing — like Enzo and her... Alyssa cast her gaze to the side and found her rifle in view. How ironic that she make such a statement while wielding two pieces of technology designed to weaponize energy or magic. Hell, her existence was no different than Enzo. She too was born with the intent to harm, kill, and destroy.

“I’m uh...” Alyssa took a deep breath and turned back to them. “Let’s just avoid the subject.”

She picked up her wine and joined in the numbing application of alcohol.

“Anyway,” Alyssa set her half empty glass down beside her meal. “I’m on my way to Beinost. I received a summons from a new establishment in that area. They’re interested in meeting me and have a proposition. My old home—”

She paused again at their memory. If only she knew where they were it wouldn’t feel so empty. A part of her didn’t want to accept they were dead. Another part felt she needed to embrace that if she were to move on. That’s what normal people do, right? Move on? It sounded so simple, but felt everything but.

“My old home is practically uninhabitable. So, its about all I have to look forward to after everything.”

Alyssa exhaled as if she shrugged off a large weight. She scooped up her remaining drink and sloughed back into her creaky chair. Her free hand slid between her wet hair and neck to let a bit of air in. The cool breeze on her skin felt divine.

“What about you, Kinley, Enzo? Where are you headed?”
    Last edited by Alyssa Snow; 08-30-2019 at 05:15 PM.

Adventurer

GP

Name
    McKinley JoAnne Parish
    McKinley sighed, taking another greedy drink from her cup, her companion eyeing her cautiously. "I am the horrid experience that happened with magic," she said in hushed tone.

Enzo's muscled tightened with tension, his dark eyes narrowing slightly at the red head. "It was not your fault..." His words swallowed as she held up an hand for him to silence. Her bright gaze focused on the girl before them, taking a deep breath she closed her eyes for a moment. She felt the darkness stirring restlessly in her as she tried to focus on the moment in time she was in instead of the dreading feeling that tumbled around in her stomach and constricting her heart. Opening her eyes she looked at the girl once more, her lips slightly parted as she leaned forward over the table.

"I am the problem with magic..." She said in a hushed tone.

A strong hand landed on her shoulder pulling her back in her seat. The fierce gaze of Enzo bore into her as he shook his head. "Please do not say another word, we don't know her... This could place you in danger." He whispered harshly, his hand that still rested on her shoulder applying a slight bit of pressure.

"People have a right to know what I am, let alone a girl that is dining with me." She said pointedly, shrugging off his hand before leaning back towards the girl. Her eyes drank in her appearance as she sighed, everyone has a story... Mine is just a little bit more messy then others. She thought to herself before she attempted again.

"I am a skaeth, born from the shadows of a dark abyss. A clash of two powerful beings that are made up of the darkest essence. I am the embodiment of destruction in more ways then one. I can not control my abilities and people have perished because of it. So we are not headed anywhere particular but running from where we had come from." She breathed almost feeling relief to allow the truth to spew from her lips to someone else that wasn't Enzo, who now sat with his arms tightly folded across his broad chest as he eyed the girl up and down.