EXP required for next Level: 2,614

GP

Name
    Elthas
    Race
    Forest Elf

View Profile

[Open to ALL] ~Elthas, my Son.~

(Note: Featured Quest side mission my attempt to explain what happened to Elthas and his people during the events of the FQ)

~Prologue~

Day 1...

The darkness slowly passed and I became aware of the physical world once more.

It was snow...no ash...underneath me. Swirling from the clouds and the sky. There was mass confusion everywhere and when The Great Tree burned down hope faded with it. But all was not yet lost. In a mere matter of moments the super volcano that Lornius hid in it's deepest bowels exploded in titanic fury. I awoke on the ground, far from home having been flung from the initial points of impact of the first few chunks of ash. I was in tremendous amounts of pain as the ash fell.

But I was one of the lucky ones. Coughing, finding it hard to breathe, I stood up and looked around. My whole world was on fire from the ash cloud. I looked back towards The Great Tree seeing a huge pillar of smoke from where the devastation destroyed it. My heart sank. Tears began to swell down my soot covered face, but that was only a brief moment. I heard cries of pain and agony from the village surrounding The Great Tree...my home. Before I began my journey back to town there was a hot wind that came in from the west and something hit my leg. I looked down with a somewhat satisfied grin. My fedora had found it's way back to me. It always did. I placed it back on my head, the trees though scorched and burnt, provided ample cover from the ash. I stuck to those as I made my way back home.

There was panic and confusion everywhere, some folks were hurt and in a state of alarm.

Others were dead and or dying....bit that caused determination in me.

I thought of my Father...

Clenching his fists, Elthas' eyes darted from place to place and he gathered survivors trying to take them to the larger of the "houses" in the village. Forest Elves were simple folk that lived off the land, off what Nature provided. It was all a blur at that point, he kept shouting orders and trying to gather his people into the temple within The Great Tree. The forest elves built their homes inside giant oak trees. It was splendid architecture meant to last centuries...until that day...

After several hours passed, Elthas made certain to double check that folks were accounted for.

"Stay indoors!" He yelled as he went back outside...

He looked up the ash cloud was tremendous. By The Thayne... There was bright explosion in the distance...where Lornius used to be. He could just make that out. He shook his head. The Thayne have abandoned us...

Elthas made sure to give one more full search of his home-town before returning back to The Great Tree. He was coughing the whole time, it hurt to breath. The ash that fell hurt really bad but he endured...he had to. His people needed hope and leadership...another forest was abandoned long since prior to the madness of a Necromancer. That was ages ago though. This was something different...a sign of things to come. Elthas felt his boots crushing the fine carpet of ash and he sighed as he went around the town looking for more survivors. He was certain he'd found everyone...

^Enter here with Elthas frantically searching the forest village for survivors.
    Forest Childe...

EXP: 9,940, Level: 4
    Level completed: 19%, EXP required for next Level: 4,060
    Level completed: 19%,
    EXP required for next Level: 4,060

GP

Name
    Hayate Amatsukami
    Race
    Human
    What in the name of the Thaynes happened! a voice cried out in the back of Hayate’s mind as he started to regain consciousness. Something terrible had just happened, knocking the lone soldier from his horse, and leaving him injured on the side of a wooded Concordian trail. It felt as if a great pressure moved across the land in a vicious torrent. The skies grew black almost instantly and as his vision focused Hayate could see a maelstrom of chaos erupting from the south. Flaming debris began falling from the darkness overhead catching the forest aflame.

I haven’t a clue, but nothing good I can assure you. Hayate answered his partner as he sprung to his feet, grasping his right arm as it hung limp at his side. He figured it was broken from what he could tell, he took a nasty fall from his good for nothing horse, which ran scared the moment the volcano erupted. Soot and ash rained down from the heavens like a blanket of death snuffing out all the color of the forest, obscuring even the slightest semblance of natural order. Even worse the smell of smoke filled his nostrils as his eyes darted left and right searching for the flames.

“Is anyone out there?” The young Akashima yelled, pushing through the pain radiating up his shoulder and down through his core. He grunted as the very action of yelling choked him, the ash was oppressive. With his good arm he tore a piece of his cloak and wrapped it around his face to act as a filter of sorts as he struggled to take even a single breath. “Please!” He tried again, calling out to anyone who could be near.

After a few moments of aimless wandering through the maelstrom Hayate came upon a village carved out of the very trees itself. This had to have been one of the many elven settlements that spotted the forest, and by the looks of things and the lack of screams it had already been abandoned. Hayate cured his luck as he hiked slowly through the now inches of soot layering the forest floor, taking shallow breaths through his mask to keep from choking. There had to be someone around, he couldn’t be the only guy here.

“Anyone please! I was traveling the roads when the storm hit, is there anyone out there!” he shouted at the top of his lungs praying for anyone one to answer him.
    "Just shut up for once! What the hell do you know about it?! It's not like you ever had a family in the first place! You were on your own right from the beginning, what makes you think you know anything about it?! Huh?! I'm suffering now because I had those ties, how on earth could you possibly understand, what it feels like to lose all that!" -Sasuke Uchiha

Adventurer

EXP: 38,578, Level: 8
    Level completed: 40%, EXP required for next Level: 5,422
    Level completed: 40%,
    EXP required for next Level: 5,422

GP

Name
    Gavner Nahs
    Race
    Vampire
    Gavner looked out from the trees upon the towering castle, in awe of its beauty. He felt a pang of nostalgia deep within his chest as he remembered the hayday of the Knights, and their former glory. The Ixian Castle, a fortress once teeming with life now towered gloomily in despair, with no faction to house and no cause to protect.

“You need to move on.”

The figure of a man was emerging from the ground at the foot of the stairs that led to the main hall. His long hair emerged from his scalp, as his face elongated and his figure grew from the ground.

“Fang,” Gavner said to the shapeshifter who was now walking towards the creature of the night. He began to step forth out of the forest and into a clearing; however, he was quickly restricted by the sun’s rays. “I thought you left the Ixians many years ago.”

“Everybody left, vampire!” Fang shouted back. “Don’t you get it? There are no Ixians any more! You’re stuck in an era that has long since passed. You keep returning, hoping that maybe Jensen will be here to give you another mission. Maybe if you just stick it out for another year, Sei will come waltzing back and give a call to all the Knights to rejoin the cause, but your hopes are in vain.”

“Sei always took care of us!” Gavner hissed back.

“Sei never cared about anybody but himself!”

“You are wrong,” Gavner said with bitter resentment on his tongue. This was his home. This was all he knew.

“Those times are over,” The shapeshifter scoffed. “I left before they disbanded because I saw the direction they were going in, and I knew it wasn’t going to last.”

“We were still doing well when you left,” Gavner replied. “It is because of the lack of faith, and people like you that we were donefor.”

Fang narrowed his eyes and looked on Gavner indignantly. “Yes, we did pull off some pretty crazy shit in the wetworks department, but several victories do not save a dying organization. I hate to break it to you kid, but they’re never coming back. You need to find another cause to serve, because this one is dead.”

Gavner bared his black ebony teeth and began to run towards fang with deadly speed and rage. “You will die for that you shapeshifting ba-”

The vampire was cut off an ear splitting explosion, as he was thrown off his feet and deep into the woods. Lifting his heavy head, the world came to his vision in a blur, as his sensitive ears were ringing angrily, and the world was muffled. Pushing himself off the ground, the vampire groaned as his back gave a sharp pain from where he was bashed into a tree by the explosion, and his head began to throb in a splitting migraine.

“What the hell was that?”
    Last edited by Gavner_Nahs; 11-29-2018 at 07:47 PM.

EXP: 320, Level: 1
    Level completed: 16%, EXP required for next Level: 1,680
    Level completed: 16%,
    EXP required for next Level: 1,680

GP

Name
    Kirin Taka
    Race
    Half-elf
    He makes it through the pass. He's not really sure how, only that it's been two days and he's somewhat surprised to come out on the other side alive. The Guard surely won't follow him this far, not for a street rat that only ended up consorting with the criminal leaders by accident.

Kirin clutches at the pendant at his throat and forces himself upright again. He hates the wide, flat valley he's exited the pass into. Kirin's more than willing to admit his preference for cities, for houses and streets and a thousand thousand hiding places and people. His people. But he hadn't minded the mountains, not in all of their harsh beauty and jagged edges. Easy to conceal his tracks, at least, even if he'd rather be with his makeshift little family.

If only he knew how to hunt.

At the end of the valley rise trees, a forest so tall and dark he could almost believe another small mountain looms before him. With any luck, he'll be able to find refuge there, or at least something to eat. He wants to make it to Jadet, but that will take weeks at foot, at the least, and without a horse or a guide or any supplies at all, he won't make it nearly that far.

He's not starving, not really--Kirin knows what that feels like, and he has about a day yet before the weakness starts to weigh upon him too heavily to continue, even at his current energy expenditure. With a resigned sigh, he picks his way forward, forcing himself to continue putting one foot in front of the other.

He's almost reached the boundary of the forest when the world explodes.

It's the light that hits him first, a bloom of brilliance that stretches to the sky and fills the horizon. The rumbling thunderclap of sound is next, a roar that passes through everything it touches and leaves Kirin deaf as well as blind. Finally, as Kirin swipes blindly at his eyes in the hopes of regaining a semblance of vision, the shockwave hits.

When he comes back to his senses, he finds himself curled on the ground in a shallow depression, the landscape around him looking nearly sandblasted. Trees bend away from the source--those that escaped being flattened completely--and even the grass and low scrub have been mostly destroyed. In front of him, a massive column of smoke is rising to the sky, lightning flickering around the edges and flaming red tinging the lower half.

Kirin sits for a moment, stunned.

This is history that’s just been made. Is being made?

He’s not sure, but he needs to get closer. There are people in that forest.

Kirin staggers upright, gritting his teeth, and forces himself to move forward. Quickly, he thinks, quickly.

Althanian

EXP: 6,386, Level: 3
    Level completed: 35%, EXP required for next Level: 2,614
    Level completed: 35%,

GP

Name
    Elthas
    Race
    Forest Elf

View Profile
    There...

Faint, distant. But most definitely a call for help. Elthas turned towards the injured form of Hayate, who was the immediately closest victim of the volcanic eruption. He ran through the ash storm, carefully making his way toward Hayate, beyond Hayate he saw another person arriving. That other person would be a big help to their cause. Elthas knelt down towards Hayate and nodded towards him. "Something terrible has happened. Lornius...I think it exploded." Elthas didn't really know too much first aid, but he could save Hayate. That's what counted.

In his heart of hearts, Elthas was a heroic person. He would help anybody he could that day. Elthas' sharp eyes caught the form of Kirin (Minor bunnying hope you are okay with this!!!) approaching slightly further off. The ash cloud was persistent and fell in a steady stream down to the physical world of Althanas. Elthas had a hard time breathing through the ash, but he was doing the best he could. They would be safer indoors and his capacity to scout and move quickly through the forest would be needed. Elthas felt his clothing rippling in the hot winds as he moved downwards towards Hayate. He extended a hand towards the injured adventurer. "You need help, you are injured. In my home town there are medics. I'm going to take you there now." Elthas explained. Before he started to get ready to pick up Hayate the best he could, Elthas waved for Kirin to come forward. Further off, a body was flung towards their position.

Elthas sighed. This...is going to be a Hell of a day. And he was not far off from the truth either.

Assisting Hayate the best he could, he helped the fellow stand. "Can you walk? I am not strong enough to carry you by myself. I will need a little help from you. If you can do that I'll guide you towards the medics." Elthas looked at the body of the fellow that just was tossed into their location from Thaynes' knows where. Elthas helped Hayate to stand. The medics would be in full operation by that point helping the injured and preparing for more injured folks to arrive. A tear swelled up in Elthas' eyes. He was crying for the loss of The Great Tree. His head hurt from the pain that the tree was suffering as he did what needed doing. He started to help Hayate back towards The Great Tree's position where help would be waiting for all who were gathered...
    Forest Childe...

GP

Name
    Kirin Taka
    Race
    Half-elf
    Kirin walks for hours. Ash begins to rain down in a choking cloud, and he ducks his head into his hood in an attempt to breathe unobstructed. The hot, heavy air stifles all sounds, except the occasional cracking of newly downed trees. An intense feeling of solitude persists. Time seems to have been suspended, like reality itself is holding its breath.

At least, until he makes his way into a clearing to find two survivors struggling to stand. Quickly, Kirin hurries forward and offers his arm to the injured human, dipping his head briefly to both others in greeting.

He addresses himself to the elf, very aware that this is his territory and that Kirin is an intruder. A welcome one, perhaps, if he could make himself useful, but an intruder nonetheless.

"My name is Kirin. I'd say it's a pleasure to meet you, but, well...

Must admit, I wasn't really expecting the apocalypse today. Are there other survivors around? Or a village not yet buried in ash? We're going to need supplies, I think, and I don't know about you but I'm not carrying any medical supplies. And, ah, I could use some food too, if that's possible."

He stops rambling and lets his thoughts race silently instead, helping the wounded human pick his way through the ashy ground after the elf, who clearly has a destination in mind.

The apocalypse. That's what it was, really. What could even cause this? Kirin has never thought much about the gods one way or another, but surely something like this had to be caused by something Other, right?

At least he doesn't have to ask why Their wrath is upon them. People are awful. He huffs a quiet, bitter laugh and keeps walking.

EXP: 9,940, Level: 4
    Level completed: 19%, EXP required for next Level: 4,060
    Level completed: 19%,
    EXP required for next Level: 4,060

GP

Name
    Hayate Amatsukami
    Race
    Human
    Through the thick ashen miasma Hayate caught a glimpse of someone hurrying around through the smoldering brush. It must have been one of the Concordian elves, he was tall and slender, and as the figure heard the young shinobi’s plea the elf made his way to him. Finally Hayate could relax as the elf approached him, though he was certain, he had to trust that this man was his friend and not a foe.

“Lorinus…” Hayate said as Elthas introduced himself and offered the young lord a hand. “Careful feels like I broke it.” The shinobi added as he used his good arm to lean on his new comrade. Elthas had instructed Hayate that they would be going to the Great Tree, the secret refugee for the entire Concordian Forest, where he would have is shoulder looked at and patched up.

Chaos erupted in all directions, yet as the calamity ragged on in the faint horizon the sounds of the forest were all but quelled. There wasn’t a sound, at least none that could be heard over the ash fall. Hayate though injured was a natural born survivor and studied his surroundings as hard as he could try with all his might to make out any unseen dangers. Though this proved to be a near impossible task he persevered until, as if dumb luck he spotted yet another figure approaching him and Elthas. The Shinobi gritted his teeth as he nudged Elthas with his elbow indicating the looming presence.

“I’m in no condition to do anything, but do you know this one?” Hayate whispered in his friend’s ear, as the figure broke through the ashen haze and came into view. He was an elf that much was clear, but he didn’t look to resemble Elthas’ highborn features. And without any warning the newcomer simple offered Hayate his hand as well as briefly introducing himself as Kirin.

“Thanks…” he hissed hating every second he had to rely on others instead of his own strength. “We’re heading to the Tree, you should come with us. This one says that most of his people have already evacuated the area and are going there. I’m sure if there is anywhere safe in the forsaken forest their sacred tree would be.” Elthas and Kirin both Helped Hayate limp ever closer to safety, soon he would have to repay the favor.
    "Just shut up for once! What the hell do you know about it?! It's not like you ever had a family in the first place! You were on your own right from the beginning, what makes you think you know anything about it?! Huh?! I'm suffering now because I had those ties, how on earth could you possibly understand, what it feels like to lose all that!" -Sasuke Uchiha

Adventurer

EXP: 38,578, Level: 8
    Level completed: 40%, EXP required for next Level: 5,422
    Level completed: 40%,
    EXP required for next Level: 5,422

GP

Name
    Gavner Nahs
    Race
    Vampire
    Gavner groaned as a wave of heat overcame him; it was as if a large cushion had been placed over his mouth to impede his inhaling- suffocating him with malice. If the heat wasn't enough, the descending ash could choke out anybody. His face began to drip with beads of sweat as the skin on his ears began to feel as if it were peeling. The forest floor slowly came into vision as the sky grew darker, as if the sun had set early; this would have been great for his vision if the heat wasn't blinding Gavner anyway.

"We're heading to the tree..." Gavner heard through the muffled, and ringing world as his senses started to come back.

"They are headed to what?" Gavner muttered to himself as he forced himself to his feet, and struggled to regain his balance for a moment. Through the fog of his stunned mind, and the oppressive heat, the odor of smoldering leaves began to descend upon his nostrils as the creature of the night began to stumble his way in the direction of the voice. He noticed glowing embers on the leaves of the trees above.

By this time a cloud of ash with an infinite expanse descended on the forest, impeding all vision farther than a few feet in front of those with even the keenest of eyesight such as Gavner's, leaving the nightwalker to make due with his hearing. As he began to tread lightly, small illuminations began to litter the forest floor where dead leaves had started to ignite from the dry heat and falling embers. A slight incline of panic teased Gavner as the thought of a forest fire popped into his mind.

"Just one foot in front of the other, one foot in front of the other," Gavner said as he continued on. Soon enough, the heat became less suffocating, and his mind began to clear. "I am adjusting to this. But why are we heading towards the direction of the disaster?" He wondered aloud. As he continued on, he began to hear the treading of several others through the dirt and dry leaves.

Other Survivors

He began to follow from afar until he noticed the convoy slowing, and signs of exhaustion could be heard. Now was his chance to introduce himself; first impressions are everything, you know. Running his slender fingers through his now ash-dusted orange hair, and brushing the white layer off of the shoulders on his black cape, Gavner strutted ahead to the convoy, noting a young halfling, and a mature elf helping along an injured human.

"Figures," Gavner muttered so that no one else could hear. "Humans always need helping out," he joked to himself.

"Afternoon," the child of the night said charismatically as he walked within sight of the others. Amid the scorching heat, and the chalky ash, it was everything he could do to not allow his composure to break, and burst out coughing. "Fancy meeting you all here on this fine Descending Summer day. Need some help?"

The nightwalker took hold of the struggling Hayate, lifting him off the ground and into his arms, thus removing the burden from Elthas.

"Now if I may ask, why, pray tell, are we heading towards this damned disaster and not away from it?"
    Last edited by Gavner_Nahs; 12-05-2018 at 09:16 PM.

Althanian

EXP: 6,386, Level: 3
    Level completed: 35%, EXP required for next Level: 2,614
    Level completed: 35%,

GP

Name
    Elthas
    Race
    Forest Elf

View Profile
    Elthas carefully assisted Hayate even as Gavner introduced himself and Kirin arrived.

Elthas recognized some of the markings on Gavner's clothing and apparel. He's Ixian...that merits some looking into... Elthas felt his head become a bit heavy for a moment as a wave passed through his mind but he ignored the mysterious sensation.

People needed help, and that was top priority.

Elthas looked at his gathered companions as he saw Gavner assist him with Hayate's form. "My people build our homes...inside the trees. It's part of our olde traditions." Elthas explained calmly. He hoped the fellow would understand everything when they arrived at The Great Tree.

They made their ways through ash fall into the broken husk of The Great Tree.

Prior to the volcanic eruption, it had been a tremendously powerful ancient old oak. One of Concordia's many guardian trees.

The old oaks were symbolic for Elthas' people.

The loss of that particular guardian, The Great Tree, would affect his people tremendously.

There would be a time for mourning another day.

Elthas, inexplicably started singing in the tongue of his people.

Once a Bard, he still retained much of the old knowledge and often sang when he was nervous or under great stress.

He sang an old song of loss and departure of loved ones. It was appropriate to sing for the passing of the dead of that day.

When they arrived at the broken husk, the front doors of the old oak were already open.

A town hall of sorts, the important meetings and gatherings, and sometimes other festivals would occur there.

Upon entry into The Great Tree, the powers of the runes of his people were apparent. The inside of the tree was mostly intact despite the severe damage to the external bark. The roots were strong, Elthas explained to his companions. A group of about sixty survivors were present within the town hall attempting to organize and treat the wounded. There were healers, magi and other folks using their trade. Several of the older Forest Elves were present and they represented a leadership body of sorts.

Though not directly connected to Radasanth, they still had representation in the government of Radasanth...

...That was a worry for another day.

Elthas, Gavner, Kirin, and Hayate entered the town hall and immediately, were noticed.

One of the medics that weren't -as busy- approached the ragtag group of survivors. "Elthas! By the Thayne you've found survivors!" The female medic said calmly.

"It's horrible outside." Elthas stopped singing and was able to focus. They guided Hayate to a comfortable seating area where there were several injured and recovering.

Elthas looked at his friends. Friends...no...family now. We have all shared a moment in the disaster...we have all lost something. Elthas thought to himself. "The fellow needs help, we all do. He's broken limbs if I'm not mistaken." Elthas explained in regards to Hayate's situation.

"We will attend to his wounds right away. What about the other two?" The medic asked of Kirin and Gavner.

Elthas and Gavner assisted Hayate and handed him over to the surprisingly strong medic.

It had not dawned on Elthas to ask Gavner and Kirin their status as well. "Either of you two also need help?" Elthas asked. Elthas was hurt as well...but his pain was a psychological trauma...that perhaps, would never heal.
    Forest Childe...

GP

Name
    Kirin Taka
    Race
    Half-elf
    Kirin raised his chin at the the elf's question.

"I am fine, thank you. Is there anything I can assist with? I have no medic training, but I can help clear debris and run errands."

He knew well enough the need for willing hands in times of chaos such as this, even if he wasn't sure yet what had caused something of this magnitude. Besides, perhaps they'd let him exchange labor for food at some point. He doubted they would have any to spare for freeloaders, soon.

Kirin scanned the great hall, examining the survivors and the state of the great tree they resided in. The tree itself was still standing, although the top had been clearly shredded by the explosion. The survivors, though--there were only a few of them. Far too few for a forest that had housed many hundreds or thousands of people, and he felt a pang of sorrow not his own for the loss of so much life and culture.