Level completed: 56%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,239

GP

Name
    Lorenor
    Race
    Undead

View Profile
    The question hit a chord with something inside of Lorenor.

How old are you...? The words repeated themselves over and over. He searched for as honest an answer as he could find. "I was a soldier fighting during the Demon War of antiquity. That much I DO remember but only bits and pieces of it. As time has progressed I remembered some of the story but lost frustrating amount of it during my time as a servant of N'Jal. There are documents and records that place me in active service during the Demon War. I was a ranking officer at the time." Lorenor was trying to explain the weight of history as best he could...for an Immortal it was a different sort of a burden.

Lorenor rubbed his chin carefully, he was deep in thought. "The Demon War was many generations ago but your reckoning if I'm not mistaken several hundreds of years. At the very least anyway. It's difficult to tell certain events anymore." His memory was fractured by N'Jal's taint and it was always a difficult matter reflecting on the past. Thoughts, feelings, emotions. It was in flux...almost as if there were multiple pasts and multiple versions of himself across Time and Space. That...was likely not far from the truth either. Lorenor shook his head, he was already thinking in circles.

It was difficult for him to relate to Mortal folks on some points...

"The Tablet of Destiny was a powerful relic that Sei found during one of his adventures." Lorenor narrowed his eyes for a moment as he visualized the ancient and priceless item. "It's structure contained a prophecy that lead to the creation of the Ixian Knights...and eventually...our downfall." Lorenor was choosing his words carefully. He didn't want to affect the boy's free will to choose his own path in life. "For every light in the world...in the universe...there is a shadow. Remember that, my boy." Darkness and light were of two opposing forces. Even now they were locked in eternal conflict. "The Ixians were group of Heroes...trying to save people and right a lot of wrong things going on at the time...the agents of darkness rose up against us and we lost." Lorenor sighed for a moment.

His head hurt, he knew the boy was curious but it was difficult for Lorenor to recall certain things those days. Lorenor touched his hand to the side of his forehead. "Sorry kid, thinking about the past makes my head hurt a lot...it's a big mess sometimes. Either way though...I'm glad I found you when I did. It's my nature to help folks who need it." Lorenor said casually. He liked the boy before him, the kid had an energy about him...was a rather pleasant one too.

Lorenor pondered for a moment longer. "Outside besides ash-fall there's critters and beasts in Concordia that have gotten ticked off cause of the ash-fall. Like I said earlier, it's not safe anyway. We'll go out in the morning when the sun is up again...though we won't be able to see it cause of the cloud." Lorenor had been through many disasters in his long life, but the volcanic eruption was really one of the worst...

EXP: 320, Level: 1
    Level completed: 16%, EXP required for next Level: 1,680
    Level completed: 16%,
    EXP required for next Level: 1,680

GP

Name
    Kirin Taka
    Race
    Half-elf
    Light and Dark. Kirin could understand that well enough. He'd walked that line every day for most of his life, after all. More than most, he understood the careful balance between the two. Get too far on one side, you couldn't do anything to protect those you loved. Get too far on the other, you lose them for entirely different reasons. He gave Lorenor an understanding grimace.

"What about this event? Will it shift things for darkness? Or is it a dark event, and will light rise up after it? Can we be sure nothing will try to come in here? How long will the ash fall?"

He stirred uncomfortably, aware of the knives on his person and how pitifully small they seemed against the explosion that had blotted out the sun. There wasn't any way he could fight this. He couldn't go fix it. There was... there was nothing he could do. Right?

Althanian

EXP: 11,761, Level: 4
    Level completed: 56%, EXP required for next Level: 2,239

GP

Name
    Lorenor
    Race
    Undead

View Profile
    Lorenor listened to the good kid speaking for a bit.

His own mind was struggling with the weight of the disaster. Lots people all around the world needed help right then. But the Gods saw fit to place Kirin in Lorenor's path. [i]One last good deed to be proud of. Maybe...? No that's not it.[i] Lorenor tried to understand why he'd saved Kirin when he had. Things inherently have meaning don't they...? When Kirin was done talking, Lorenor looked at the boy for a long moment.

He needs answers...what do I tell him here...what would Sei do? Loenror listened to the sound of the ash-fall outside the fortress for a long moment. Then he spoke again. "I don't know, kid. Before Lornius erupted there was a man I knew. A prophet of sorts...not very different from Sei. That prophet said this disaster would occur. We're meant to just survive and keep going. That much I do know." Lorenor wished he had more answers.

He stood up from the floor at that point and nodded at Kirin. "How long will it last...? Difficult to say. Hours, days, years...centuries...? I have no idea. All I know is that we must survive." Lorenor pulled out some manuscripts from his packs. Nenkulor Shima, the prophet, made Lorenor write down the last of his teachings. He wrote it down word for word, in perfect penmanship.

There were five tomes written all together with Nenkulor's teachings. He opened the first tome and began to read to Kirin. It seemed somehow natural, appropriate to continue the memory of Nenkulor the prophet. "The first sign, will come in the canopy of the sky. Then to the land of Lornius, there a great disaster shall befall. Life on Althanas..." And so Lorenor proceeded to instruct Kirin in the ways of the old prophets.

GP

Name
    Kirin Taka
    Race
    Half-elf
    Kirin listened, fascinated. Something the man had said nagged at him, though.

"Lorenas? We're meant to survive and keep on, right? Surely there's something we can do to help, even if it's just the two of us?" He knew, at least, that life would survive. But Corone, the people on it now--surely not all of them had to die. Kirin wasn't the most compassionate of people, he knew that, but Corone was, for better or worse, his home. He had people he cared about here. Gods, disgustingly, he found that he wanted to... help.

My, but he was getting soft in his age.

"Those tomes--they're what the prophet said? What all is in them?"

Althanian

GP

Name
    Lorenor
    Race
    Undead

View Profile
    Lorenor listened to the man's questions.

There was a momentary pause as he read the first bits of the prophecy that regarded Lornius' destruction.

Nenkulor's prophecy rang true more often than not...the man was truly gifted with the art of seeing...alternate possibilities he called them.

The future was always in flux. Choices could be made and at some points...with certain gifts...unmade. Lorenor had heard of such abilities before to manipulate the very strands of fate themselves. Such power eluded the old Paladin for he was a mere follower of the light.

Lorenor decided it best to simply show Kirin the tomes directly. It would be a better way of teaching other than talking about things. "The tomes contain Nenkulor's teachings. More than that they provide a code and a way of life. Simply stated, a different way of living. There are many dark forces in the world. It is part of my duty to rise up against such darkness. Hopefully to help provide a balance to things..." Lorenor was going over things in his own head as he stated the old missions.

He was very certain that Kirin would only partially understand the old man's way of life.

"But yes, the tomes contain a lot of information. I wrote them at the waning portion of Nenkulor's life. Took me a long while but I got that done." Lorenor said carefully. He was basically a keeper of the tomes at that point...something he took very, very serious.

Lorenor sat back on the floor for a moment and considered. Kirin was a good man, there was something in the boy's eyes. I can trust him...that's what counts.

GP

Name
    Kirin Taka
    Race
    Half-elf
    "There's hope, though? Life goes on after this, and Corone survives to rebuild, right? What all did the prophet--Nenkulor, what all did Nenkulor say about the explosion?

Is there anything we can do to help?"

Kirin lifted his chin, refusing to be daunted in the face of the world-ending disaster. He was young, sure, but that just meant that this new upturning of his world would be just another stepping stone of many. Prophecies weren't made for the future, they were made for the now. They were promises of things to come after, to bring hope.

He couldn't think of any situation where hope might be needed more than this one.

He has more questions--so many more questions, he didn't even know divination and prophecy were things that existed before this--but he's cut off by a wave of exhaustion that tears a yawn from him. He's been on the run for days, even before this, and the eruption, injury, and subsequent rescue have left him running on his last legs.

"Sorry-- I'm gonna just... I need to sleep a little. Give me a couple hours?"

Althanian

GP

Name
    Lorenor
    Race
    Undead

View Profile
    Lorenor listened to the boy speak. Poor kid has been running for a long time...I'm glad I found him when I did. Lorenor thought to himself. Once the younger fellow was done talking, Lorenor could only nod. "You are safe here. Take all the time you need to rest." Lorenor said, and he meant that, he would protect the youth with his own life if need be. The old paladin stood up at that point and readied a sleeping bed for the boy. "Here." He handed the lad a pillow and a blanket, very simple in texture...but it would do. Lorenor watched the younger one fall asleep.

He stood there for a long while observing him in his sleep.

He's been on the run for a long time. Perhaps we all have been...maybe this is our divine punishment. Lorenor was old, but he didn't feel exhaustion in the same way the mortal kind felt it. He was Undead in nature...there were differences in blood...genetics. Lorenor watched the boy sleep for a little while longer then he returned to his work. He took several of the more incomplete tomes and he began to write...scribing down the teachings of the mad prophet Nenkulor Shima. As he wrote he kept thinking of all that he had seen in his long life. Many things passed through his mind, thoughts of the lives he'd touched. The enemies he'd made...the friends he kept close. As he wrote something happened...

A specter manifested behind Lorenor. Lorenor turned towards the apparition. "I have been waiting for you for a long time." Lorenor said to the ghost of Nenkulor Shima.

"I will always be with you." Nenkulor said. "You have completed my great work. It is now your to keep." Nenkulor said carefully.

"Will the ash-fall stop?" Lorenor asked...he needed to know...he had to give others some sort of a HOPE.

"Difficult to see. But that is not why I am here...this time." The ghost said to Lorenor.

Lorenor sighed. "This is difficult to deal with...difficult to understand it all."

Nenkulor looked at Lorenor with a very serious expression on his face. "You don't need the Thayne. None of you ever did." Nenkulor said. "There are other routes to power...you KNOW this." Nenkulor continued to talk. "But you and your friend are very tired. Make sure you rest well, it might be the last chance you ever have to." Nenkulor said. He walked towards Lorenor and sat down next to him. "You have many questions. But that can wait, for now I need to prepare you for something..."

And thus, it began.