EXP required for next Level: 8,780

GP

Name
    ~Nosdyn Krotar~
    Race
    ~Old Soldier~

View Profile

[~OPEN TO ALL~] A sort of job...

(Continues off of Hunt Beings Anew/sometime after the events of the FQ have finished as well so no ashfall.)

(Note: All bunnies are approved thank you in advanced)

Nosdyn slept very badly those nights.

He was haunted by the past, and the weight of sins bared heavily down upon his shoulders.

He was troubled, there was no mistaking that. Though Stonevale had accepted him. Despite the fact he was a Demon exiled from The Tular Plains. His eyes were shut tightly as he slept in his bed sweat trickled down his heavily tattooed body. He dreamed that night...the night it all began. For him, for the rest of Althanas sometime after the ashfall finally stopped.

It was a year after the last bit of ash fell from the sky. The world had not returned to normal and there were wide-spread reports of mass destruction everywhere. The Gods have abandoned us. Nosdyn thought to himself in his sleep, it was a frightening thought to live in a world without the gods. The third hour of that night came and deep sleep still did not start. He hadn't slept a full night since Ashfall first started and even so after the last bit of ashfall fell from the sky.

Nosdyn finally awoke some tiem after the third hour of that night.

He sat up in his bed thinking about all he had done, all he had considered of late. He looked down on his hands, there would be no tears. The time for crying had long since passed. The gods saw to it that there would be no time for any to mourn lost loved ones. The next step was for them to all rebuild their lives from there. For Nosdyn, whose life had been built on the suffering of others for many years he was still trying to pick up the pieces.

He slid out of bed, skyclad, he only wore clothing outside of his house.

His muscles bulged as he stood there and he stretched trying to ease the tension out of his body.

As he stood there, he decided to get dressed and see what was going on around the town...though it was late at night there was always something happening in Stonevale. As Nosdyn got dressed he remembered his commitment to train Karl. That was a good place to begin that night.

"Karl wake up." Nosdyn said to his friend, and fellow sword. He was still probably sleeping at that hour, but immediately stirred upon hearing Nosdyn's call.

"What do ya need boss?" Karl asked.

"Going to go back over some lessons with you my friend. Now is as good a time as any."

With that, Karl and Nosdyn finished getting dressed and gathered their gear.

They both stepped outside and walked out into the back yard area of the house...

(Note: It is late at night in Stonevale after Ashfall has finally STOPPED. Enter here with Nosdyn and Karl stepping out of their house and walking to the yard area. Note this is purely a social thread. I want as many people in on this as possible.)
    Last edited by Nosdyn; 05-23-2019 at 10:08 PM.

Althanian

EXP: 8,146, Level: 3
    Level completed: 79%, EXP required for next Level: 854
    Level completed: 79%,
    EXP required for next Level: 854

GP

Name
    Charles Rivers
    By all accounts I should have been dead.

By all accounts we should all have been dead. But fair Fortune has a funny way of choosing between those who achieve and those who do not in her spinning wheel of timelessness. It seemed that though the sky had rained ash and fire for many long weeks, and though the world had become something of a twisting pollution that had caused changes worldwide, even beyond what we considered the world, that people survived. That, like the first Great Calamity, our communities and societies and races had struggled onward. That, like those few civilisations that had existed beyond the cataclysm beforehand, we still held ourselves strong. That, despite the death, the burning, the choking, we still had what the rare people call a society, with the borders between countries somehow intact, mainly because they consisted of racial divisions, natural mountain barriers, and hatred that still prevailed.

By all accounts we should have not survived the horror of the volcano and the meteor alongside, not to mention the terrible aftermath that had been the starvation and climate changes that had made us all see the seasons a little differently now. Yet, we did.

We struggled on. Whether by the grace of our own gods, or by the greatness of our own power, we survived.

I stood in the small mining town of Stonevale, by journey of a year come to an end. After too long of assisting my wretched brother with establishing his new order as King and God of his own small empire, somewhere in the mountains between Alerar, Raiaera and Salvar, I had parted ways with him and come here. Where I and the being who had enabled me to survive could rest our weary souls.

Which, of course, meant drinking. Lots.

Legend

EXP: 45,220, Level: 9
    Level completed: 13%, EXP required for next Level: 8,780
    Level completed: 13%,

GP

Name
    ~Nosdyn Krotar~
    Race
    ~Old Soldier~

View Profile
    The night wore on as Nosdyn trained his friend, Karl.

He'd met Karl one night after a botched run-in with Zack Blaze. The notorious adventurer. Nosdyn would settle things with Zack some day. As he finished the training session with Karl, he looked up and saw the night sky. The cloud that spewed ashfall for so long down on their world was still there. However, it no longer had any ash to dispense on top of their heads. Nosdyn figured it was time to relax at the local bar. He looked at his friend and follower. "Let's go get a drink and there we will discuss our next move." Nosdyn said calmly. Wiping sweat off his brow.

"Sounds like a plan to me." Karl said carefully. "There are people venturing out after the ash-fall stopped." Karl noted.

"It's still not safe to venture out because of the monsters the ash-fall has summoned from the darkness." Nosdyn looked at his friend. "Would be nice to see stars again for a change."

"How long do you reckon ash-fall lasted?" Karl asked.

"Been at least a year by my observations. It could have been really a lot worse. Still no word from any survivors from Lornius or there about." Nosdyn rubbed his chin thoughtfully as he gathered his gear.

"Hell of a thing to go through if you ask me." Karl said as they walked to the bar.

Nosdyn made sure to avoid the particular bar on the outskirts where he'd encountered Zack Blaze. THAT place was far too dangerous. Nosdyn chuckled thinking about how matter-of-fact Zack behaved. One day...I will get even with Zack.

"Thinking about that time again, boss?" Karl asked.

Nosdyn could only nod. "Yeah, Zack got me good that day. I underestimated him." Nosdyn nodded again. "But I did get a solid hit on him which does count for something...not sure what but it does count for something."

"You and your people are an interesting lot." Karl said. "Looks like we're here."

Ashfall had stopped falling for a few days at that point. People were only recently getting the news that it was safe to go out. Bars however, always seemed to have many souls to partake in local folklore and drink with. Those days however, Stonevale was not very festive as it was before Ashfall struck. However, the same could be said of most of Althanas proper. Still, they had survived. Nosdyn entered and waved towards the various employees of the bar. As he walked in he noticed Charles sitting there, a relative newcomer. His table was mostly empty. Nosdyn nodded towards Charls with a visible amount of respect. Then he walked over towards his usual table and sat down with Karl nearby. Nosdyn did not order anything right away, but Karl was famished and would order lots. Poor guy...probably not used to a militia style training routine. He will adapt. Nosdyn had many things on his mind, the primary thought was how they would rebuild their broken world...he kept eyeing Charles carefully noticing the fellow's appearance and attire. He's not from around here...then again...neither am I. He thought as he observed the denizens of the bar.

Althanian

GP

Name
    Charles Rivers
    A demon walked close by to my lonesome table and gave him a nod.

Unsubtly, in response, I raised an eyebrow and leaned back in my chair, observing the character. Tall. Dark, with horns. Blue skin, with black markings, and a distinguished kind of build that which many warriors would be jealous of. I noted his friend with him, who equally seemed able to hold himself in a fight, if appearance was anything to go by. They eyed me curiously, likely residents or common dwellers in this odd little town and noticing that I was a stranger. But I did not care. My fingers curled around the cold glass of my beer and I pulled back the alcohol into my gullet like a starving man desperate for water.

Don't get drunk now, the being who existed within me chided.

My other eyebrow rose to meet the one already high as I smiled into the golden liquid. Slowly I lowered it.

We are finally able to have a moment to ourselves, I told her. If there was ever a time to get drunk it is now.

'Des' - at least that was what she called herself - the ancient goddess of destruction who had somehow existed for era as a form of ghost and now lived within me like a leech, grinned. Or she would have, if she had her own body. Instead I caught an image of a wicked smile and the general feeling of elation. We are free, she whispered, and that is a good thing. But we could be drinking something far more delicious than your ... beer.

I knew she meant blood. She delighted in the red, thick liquid, uncaring if it came from bird, beast or man. Generally fresh and raw meat was to her standards also, better if it had come from something we had killed ourselves. And we were very good at killing. Together, with my body and her power we were a force unstoppable by many degrees, which, when our identities merged and truly had the best of symbiotic relationships, could decimate an army in minutes.

But my issue was - the time for all that was over. The ashfall had come, and went, my brother's conquests had been successful. Yes, there were still rapists and murderers and all sorts of criminals out there, but all in all we had peace. We had sanctuary. Life was good, and all I wanted to do was rest.

Softly, I shook my head at Des and refocused on the demon and his friend, finishing off my beer before I began to stand. We are free, but we have bathed in blood enough, now is time for rejoicing. My way.

And I began to walk over to the table with the beings. Whereupon I sat down, slamming my heavy glass down.

"Do you gamble?" I asked, Des' grin coming to my face.

Legend

GP

Name
    ~Nosdyn Krotar~
    Race
    ~Old Soldier~

View Profile
    Nosdyn observed the fellow as he walked towards him. The man seems deep in thought which is fine by me. I prefer people who are thinkers anyway. Nosdyn thought to himself as he studied the fellow. The man placed his drink on the table that Karl and Nosdyn sat at and helped himself to a chair. Nosdyn grinned at the question. "Depends on what sort of gambling you're talking about fella." Nosdyn said. He'd always fancied himself a soldier first. Yes, a soldier for a different army...but a soldier none the less.

Nosdyn tapped his chin thoughtfully for a moment. "I'm not much for the Hume (Slang for Human) gambling games. But I do fancy a good drink and some good food. Which you'll find both here." Nosdyn spoke with a deep Tular Plains accent, of course he'd obtained influence of several dialects in his time in the surface world. Culture fascinated the demon. He looked at the fellow's eyes for a long moment, there was definitely a fierce intellect there. He admired the fellow. Nosdyn was built to withstand tremendous amounts of damage and his physique showed. Twice or more than that Nosdyn was capable of surviving a building falling and collapsing all around him.

That last time was over a relic that was stolen by a remnant of The Corone Rangers.

The stolen relic was a cleverly constructed forgery and the true item now rested in the hands of it's proper master.

Nosdyn was completing many odd jobs those days working as a sort of freelancer at large.

Given my skill set I can't really advertise I was an Alerar gangster at one point. Oh well things happen. Different regions call for different survival sets. Nosdyn thought back to his old employer, The Boss, and often considered rejoining the ranks of that old gang. I can take whatever punishment The Boss would have for me anyway...I hope. Nosyn kept his eyes on the fellow before him. He then looked towards Karl. "Here my friend, payment for this week. Go treat yourself well." Nosdyn said to Karl. And then handed Karl a hefty seeming pouch filled with gold pieces that fellow had earned as his first subordinate. Nosdyn then returned his attention to the man before him as Karl left with a grin on is face. "Yes, in regards to your question I do not gamble, but I suspect that you are here for some other reason are you not?" Nosdyn asked. He noticed that his natural panic aura did not affect the fellow before him. It's okay I have gotten used to my powers not working like they should. Especially here in Stonevale. Nosdyn enjoyed the fellow's company. "How long do you intend to stay in Stonevale?" Nosdyn asked.

Althanian

GP

Name
    Charles Rivers
    I could see something glimmering in the corner of the demon's eye. An emotion perhaps, a hidden secret, as ancient and forgotten as mine. Slightly, I tilted my head as I watched him dismiss his friend, handing him a packet of money like he was his employer.

Which was not too far of a likelihood. Here, in this mining town at the centre of a ravaged world, all beings had to make a living. Money was still how life worked. It was still at the centre of all. Though smelting coin per the particular lands had decreased with the loss of life and access to resources it still was the main exchange for all. Part of me found this strange, but mortals were as they were. I was personally used to my brother's court, where his dealings with the world had made him understand the need for currency. It was what some people breathed, ate and slept with, it was what they desired above all others. The one who seemed more human took the payment willingly, as happy as I expected, and stood to make off as I settled into my new found seat.

"I am not here to gamble, specifically, no," I admitted openly, and I felt Des' enthusiasm wane slightly.

This better not end up being some boring conversation, she muttered.

I ignored her, and kept looking at the blue-skinned man. I set my beer down on the table before me, leaning forwards onto my forearms. I could still see the gleam in his eye, the intrigue there that suggested I was missing something. I did not know what. Blinking, I paused before I answered his other questions.

"I am here for freedom's sake," I said. "To while away what has been a long year. But you were looking at me like you were confused as to my presence, and kept staring, thus I came over." My finger touched my glass, feeling the chill of the cold liquid.

"I am not here for any specific time, but tell me why you were looking at me, and I might tell you more."

With those final words I lifted up my glass and drank more, all the while keeping my deep black eyes trained on this character.

Legend

GP

Name
    ~Nosdyn Krotar~
    Race
    ~Old Soldier~

View Profile
    Nosdyn studied the man before him. There was a secret there...a prize waiting to be had. I have felt this way before...with Stare and her Master, Vitruvion. I wonder if this is the same thing I am feeling? Nosdyn would never know, he saved thinking for those who were more apt at it than he. His thoughts were more of a tactical military oriented style. But the fellow raised a valid point. There was always a reason for things, and various dealings. Nosdyn nodded calmly and took a drink of his own goblet. He leaned somewhat closer towards him. "You seem a competent adventurer type." Nosdyn began. "I need people who can follow instructions well and get things done. There's a lot of gold to be made here in Stonevale." Nosdyn looked around for a moment and relaxed.

"What I am saying is I need people for a job." Nosdyn continued explaining with just the most subtle hint of mischief. "It's not anything too dangerous but the job pays...and I was curious if you would be interested. Lornius' blowing up in that volcano left a lot of work in it's disaster. And me and you both know...disaster breeds profit." Nosdyn was a business Demon of sorts. He dealt in gold, and other currencies...but that would be worked out later. "There is a lot of dangers out in the wild areas around this town. Some were already there but others rose at the wake of recent events. What I'm saying is Stonevale needs materials...Simple sort of work. There is more involved but I want to gradually involve you. There's a gold piece to be made. That should suffice for now." Nosdyn took a pouch from ihs personal belongings.

"One hundred gold coins." Nosdyn explained. 'That's to start. You work for me, you earn more. Simple really. Seems like a fair deal and I know from personal experience that fair is not in abundance these days. Especially after the reason events. What do you say, you seem like a reasonable person. If you agree we start in the morning, and there is plenty of materials to gather around Stonevale proper. Hefty lot of gold to be made here. There is something else I wish to ask, but I don't want to say what with the current audience around us." Nosdyn grinned. There were already other folks listening on the prospect of making gold on those hard times. "What do you say friend?" Nosdyn asked.

GP

Name
    Beatrix
    Race
    Human
    One among those listening was already gainfully employed, but only for one piece a day. The word "gold" first got her attention, but she returned to her work until the basso voice enumerated exactly how much gold was up for taking here. A hundred gold pieces? Who paid that kind of money for the "simple sort of work"? She was doing simple work now, and that paid simple wages. Everyone knew that.

That thought reminded her of the work she ought to be doing. Tidy the beds, empty the chamber-pots (oh gods, what was in that one?) The man—or so she assumed by his voice—seemed friendly enough, but family wisdom advised against taking jobs from men with blue skin and horns. Actually, conventional non-familial wisdom advised that men with with blue skins horns were frequently not men by any measure of the word, so that was two strikes against him. Yet a hundred gold pieces! That was more than the whole family could make in two weeks!

She would have to talk to her family before embarking on such a risk, of course, but she needed more information to do that. That was her rationale, anyway, for leaving her vantage point to finish tidying this room, so she might follow this strange "man" and his companion—unnoticed, of course. A maid's cap concealed the ruddy gold hair that would give her away, so she feared little for discovery.

Legend

GP

Name
    ~Nosdyn Krotar~
    Race
    ~Old Soldier~

View Profile
    (Professor Charles, post whenever you like I'm keeping only a very LOOSE turn order)

Nosdyn noticed that his companion seemed deep in thought. Likely considering my job offer probably... He sat back against the comfortable chair taking in the scenery. There were the usual riff-raff in the tavern, talking and laughing. Exchanging stories and information...taverns were hubs for such information gathering. The Demon ate the rest of his meal silently as his companion thought about the situation at hand.

The world was broken after the volcanic eruption that was currently Lornius.

A lot of places and people are going to need a lot of help going forward. I see an opportunity for profit.. Nosdyn thought carefully. He took out a small writing book and began to scribe some notes for himself. Of the day's proceedings. So far...I have had little success...but I need to remain optimistic... Nosdyn frowned in deep thought as he sat there.

He was writing personal thoughts down, agendas...things that needed doing.

All great enterprises started with a simple idea in it's most basic form...the desire for wealth.

As Nosdyn considered the situation at hand he noticed that the gathered crowd was beginning to disperse a little bit. People were heading back to their personal chambers...the hour was late. Shit...what time is it? Nosdyn also considered packing it in as well. Mayhaps...the following day would yield better results for his endeavor.

Stonevale needed a lot of work they had to tally up the damage and loss of life done at the wake of the ash-fall. Nosdyn was determined to be at the front-lines helping patch things on and repair things as needed. He took a long pull from the ale in his goblet and continued to write. There were eyes on the Demon but he did not mind that at all. He was used to being stared at so he thought nothing ill of it at that point in his life. He carefully considered his next move...

Althanian

GP

Name
    Charles Rivers
    Friend?

I did not know if I could be included yet as this demon's friend. Although we looked similar - one with knowledge of races would say that I was a tiefling, and surmise that my ancestry involved demons, thus we could indeed be biologically even related - I did not know if I agreed with him. Friends were difficult to come by, especially when one had an ancient being living in one's skull. Body. Being.

I had a girlfriend, and that was good. But she was half succubus and had demons of her own. I also had my siblings, who I was close to. And Divinity, the demi angel who I had a close friendship due to the amount of times we had aided each other in times of trouble ... But this man? Now? Within just a few moments of meeting him?

And working with him. Or for him? That was not something I was comfortable with. Morningstar, my brother dearest, had kidnapped me several times and forced me to agree to work for him. For money, yes, but he had literally given me no choice. We had struck a deal and time later and a year after Ashfall and I was free to do as I willed.

At least to some extent.

Explain to him, Des whispered. To this demon. We could do with the distraction. The newness. So long as there is blood.

I grunted, shifting my weight and the glass in my hands.

"Working for you ... I'll work with you. Payment sounds decent, but I have issues with being under the command of people. I am my own man," I rolled back my shoulders as I sat up in my seat. "No offence. But give me tasks and I will do them. Besides -"

I indicated the young woman in the corner, who I just noticed had been watching us. Or looking in our direction. Or thrown us some attention.

"She looks interested too."