Outside the city of Beinost and about four hours by horse, stood one of the new structures built since the Great Calamity. Its great walls stretched toward the sky with the same haunted hue of necromancy used throughout Beinost. Larger than a village but smaller than town, structures scattered the land within. At its center, the largest and tallest building could be seen from outside the perimeter walls. It resembled a library, campus, or barrack with an open courtyard featured at its center. As for the occupants, people and races from around the main continent went about their daily tasks. Many of which wore a similar uniform — dark, tight, and clean with elegant filigree to accent the seams. Each uniform bore a logo that resembled an arched gateway framed in silver and gold threads.

In the wake of the Great Calamity, similar installations appeared in several Althanas’s countries. They came to be known as GATEs. In short, these GATEs were all built and staffed with the goal of rebuilding the damage from the Great Calamity. Those chosen as leaders, researchers, teachers, and caretakers represent the faculty of these establishments. Affectionately, these unique people are often referred to as LockSmiths by the younger trainees. Likewise, the senior members jokingly call their juniors Keys, Locks, or Picks. Each nickname reserved for a specific type of personality.

After the events of the Calamity, Alyssa resigned from the shattered ranks of the Tarot. After the dust settled, none were to be found. The House of Cards she once called home now lay as ruins beneath the Red Forest. Despite leaving her throne as the Empress, the tattoo of the card still served as a reminder of what was. Now, she served as one of the LockSmiths of the Beinost GATE.

“Miss Snow,” called out a voice, low and soothing.

“Yes?” Replied the young woman. Her long blonde hair sat high on her head in a conservative bun. She wore the uniform well with the lines and filigree only accentuating her subtle features. Pressed against her chest she clutched several books varying in size and color.

“Do you have a moment?” The man’s name was Baelor Vareski, the Grandmaster of the GATE. He stood several inches taller than her with stern features which betrayed his calming voice. Unlike most of the tenants from around Raiaera, Baelor was originally from Salvar. While most of his history still remains largely unknown, Alyssa knew that he had some old ties with the Church. After a conflict of interest, he became a pillar of their goals here at the GATE.

“Oh! Yes of course.” Alyssa straightened herself up in his presence and struggled to nudge her glasses off the tip of her nose to where they belonged.

“Excellent,” he smiled. “I’d like to discuss an important matter in my office. Would you be able to join me in say, ten minutes?” He placed his hand gently on her shoulder.

Alyssa tightened her jaw. She knew her afternoon was open, but intended to use it to get a jump start on next week’s itinerary for the cadets. In her pause, she felt the HeadMaster’s weight lift from her shoulder.

“Yes. I’ll just drop these off and head up.” Her eyes met his and she caught a brief glimpse through his otherwise stoic expression. “Has something come up?”

“I’ll tell you more later.” Baelor returned her concern with a calm bow of his head. He again smiled as if to dismiss anything negative. “I’ll see you then.”

As he walked toward the academy, Alyssa raised a brow. She sighed and hurried to her office to drop off her research materials.