Name
    Felicity Rhyolite
    Race
    Neanderthal/ Human Hybrid

View Profile

Return of the Nuclear Ragechild

[Solo.]

*Whap!*

My hand caught his wrist mid punch. I lifted my free arm and brought my elbow down to his extended, locked arm. As a cried out and dropped, I lifted my knee up and slammed it into where it hurts. The white haired boy crumbled to the floor. Then, the healing started. White and yellow light warped around his body as he stood up again, pain leaving his features. He was well again, like the fight never happened.

Meanwhile, I lifted my hands and bent into another fighting position. He just nodded to me, lifting his arm and giving a thumbs up.

"Good job, Fel."

A fell at ease. I dropped to my knees then. My body crashed against the cold ground. It took a lot to get me this tired. I had lost track of time who knows how long ago? I just knew that I practiced my skills, fought with my teacher until I dropped, then got refreshed. A nice bath, a long time to sleep... Only for not a moment to have passed by, athough it felt like a long, lazy evening to me.

Yes, I was truly exhausted now. My body felt icky and grubby. I was coated in uncomfortable, wet sweat which stained my clothes. I could tell I stunk too. Still, I did not want to quit...

"One more time!" I pleaded with the boy in front of me. Much to my disappointment, he shook his head.

"No. You need to rest up." He smirked, "You know we have all the time to kill, right?"

Yeah, I knew. I looked up. Where the roof for a building should be, there was endlessness. It seemed like stars, swirls of colors and shapes, and uneasy light filled the vacuum of void about us. It took me a bit of, well, time I guess to get used to it. At least I did not suffer vertigo anymore. As the vastness collected in marvelous display up there, old timers and grandfather clocks floated close to us.

This was his realm. Within another realm.

I looked below us. It was sort of like glass. It was invisible, yet, I knew where it was. It was solid, firm, and allowed traction. There was no slipping or losing footing here. Below the clear yet visible flooring, the space of colors and shapes continued into infinity.

I take it back. I was feeling sick again.

I closed my eyes, trying to keep my head from whirling. I paid attention to the sturdy ground below me, holding me up. Then, I felt the glowing energy of him grow closer. I looked up to see his hand extended to me. The long haired being smiled softly. His eyes were like pools deep like the nethers surrounding us, but safer.

"You're improving."

I took his hand. As he pulled me up, I felt my old energy rapidly returning. The vigor flooded through me like a roaring river broken free from a dam. I sighed in relief. Of course, my hair was still wet from all this training. Plus, my friend was covering his nose.

"Go get cleaned up." He tilted his head towards a lone, silver door near the end of the platform. I nodded and started towards it. Yet, the distance was impossible to predict. I could not tell whether or not I got there in five hundred steps or just five. I turned the nob, looking back for a moment to him. He had wings spouting from his back once again. Human feet were replaced with bird like talons. I could not help but smile. He preferred his Thayne form, but changed to human form to spar with me, nurture me...

I turned back to the door and casually swung it open. Unlike the platform, the place inside was a pocket of thick, light colored clouds. The floor was like rainbows. In front of me was a massive, long bath. It was more luxurious than anything ever found on Althanas. I closed the door with my bare foot, a feeling of familiar awe overcoming me.

Eager to feel better, smell better, I swiftly pulled my soaked sparring outfit off and jumped in. I began the pathway towards true reinvigoration once again.

I don't know how long we had been doing this. I was just thankful that this weird bird time entity had actually noticed me.
    "I can't be proud of anything. I am ashamed of everything."

"I gave my heart, my allegiance, all my energy for this and got nothing but ashes in return. What on earth did I do to deserve being chewed and spit out like this? Time and time again, it's all the same."

Felicity Playlist.

Nuclear Rage

EXP: 64,948, Level: 10
    Level completed: 99%, EXP required for next Level: 52
    Level completed: 99%,
    EXP required for next Level: 52

GP

Name
    Felicity Rhyolite
    Race

View Profile
    I stepped out of the pocket that was my quarters. I looked out. The realm had grown thick in dark mist. Confused, I blinked as a started to step forward.

"Gwenael?"

I saw something up ahead. As I walked towards it, I felt the air grow more heavy. My sense of magic started going haywire. I was slapped in the face insane power. I stopped, feeling the need to turn back.

Yet, I saw them. There were two figures ahead. Even through the thick smoke I recognized one of them. It was Gwenael, sporting his six wings and talons. Next to him stood a tall, cloaked woman wrapped in an air of reverence.

Another Thayne!

A stood back as they spoke. I was positive I knew who they were. Yet, I stood where she could not overwhelm me.

Swiftly, the conversation ended. Gwenael bowed, then walked towards me. As the Thayne turned and walked the other way, Gwenael approached me. He appeared irritated, his eyebrows narrowed. His amber eyes glistened in fresh frustration. His fists were tightened. I knew anger well, it was probably my most common emotion. I raised an eyebrow as he approached me.

He sighed heavily , "She said I have to send you back."

Shock took me for a moment, then disappeared. With how much Gwenael was disrespected by the "higher" Thaynes, I was not surprised. I thought it was stupid, the way They treated him. I was but one of those foolish mortals though, so, whatever I guess. The best I could do was treat him respectfully myself.

I crossed my arms, "Changed Their minds again?"

He lowered his head, "Yes..."

His hands loosened in defeat. I could tell the conversation I saw drained him. I reached out, placing a hand on his shoulder, "I'll get my stuff. Then I'll go back."

He did not move.

I leaned closer, "Gwenael?"

He finally looked up, his expression dull and tired.

"Thank you," I tried to smile. "You have taught me so much since you've brought me here."

He finally showed a hint of a smile, "I hope it will help you in the long run."

I nodded, lowering my arm. As I turned to leave, he called. "Felicity!"

I turned back to his direction.

In the vast ether, his voice echoed despite a lack of distance. "I will be coming with."

"I gave my heart, my allegiance, all my energy for this and got nothing but ashes in return. What on earth did I do to deserve being chewed and spit out like this? Time and time again, it's all the same."

Felicity Playlist.

Nuclear Rage

GP

Name
    Felicity Rhyolite
    Race

View Profile
    Light swirled as I stepped into the circle. Gwenael smiled at me with a nervous light in his eyes.

What does he have to be nervous about?

I simply pulled my bag up and closed my eyes. The magic felt stiff and heavy. I felt a bit whoozy as the magic kept growing. I felt Gwenael steadying me, keeping me from completely falling over.

Even with my eyes closed, I could see the light in my eyelids. Swirling colors at a rapid speed. Glowing particles racing in cycles. We were returning to Corone.

The magic continued to push past a point I could not bear. Magical overload. Anxiety threatened to decimate my chest. My stomach grew unsettled and ill tempered.

"We are almost there." Gwenael reassured me. Or tried. I bent over as a throb shook my chest.

Just as the tingling of power began to deminish, another throb. Soon enough, I felt my throat forced to expand. Foul tasting, horrific smelling bile spewed from my mouth. Lightheaded, I was unable to tell what was going on around me. It was so bright...

Then, I felt solid ground. My eyes, once squeezed shut, began to open. The magic was gone. I thought for a moment that my stomach was okay now. Yet, when I saw the gross remains of my last meal in a patch of grass.

"BLLAAAUURGH!"

I did not even realize that Gwenael had helped me collapse somewhere aside my half digested lunch. I stopped shaking and steadily regained my senses.

The familiar yet long missed sound of birds singing brushed my ears. My nose was still suffering from the overwhelming stench of vomit, yet I knew what I would smell if it were not for that. I felt a cool breeze and bitter air. I looked up to the see a deeply clouded sky.

The tall grasses, mostly yellow in color, brushed against my skin. I Iooked down to see that my brown dress was stained with green. As the wind continued to soothe my pale skin, I looked over to Gwenael. He had his eyes closed now, head tilted towards the sky. His eyes were closed, he seemed to be in thought. I took another look around. This place seemed familiar. A field. Hills surrounded it; yet the sound of slow waves could be faintly, barely, heard as well.

I felt excitement as I realized what this place was. We were near the entrance of Radansanth!

I reached into my bag and pulled out a bottle of water. I rinsed the barf from my mouth, then blew my nose on a napkin. After being able to properly smell the plants and air again, I put everything back in the bag and stood up. I forgot who was with me. I started for the nearest hill when-

-"Wait for me!"

I skidded to a halt, causing a dirt cloud. I turned around to see Gwenael still sitting in that meditative stance.

I pointed to the hill, impatience rising in my chest. "C'mom!"

Gwenael opened his eyes and finally stood up. His grey trench coat flowed in the wind as he walked up to me. His face was etched in nervousness. It pricked my curiosity once again.

Together, we climbed the hill. Pulling my dress above ankles, I staggered up with the bag on my back. I realized that despite the dark grey clouds, there was not a hint of rain or storm. The air was too dry for that. Once again, confusion.

I finally made it to the top. Gwenael was standing still, facing the direction of the city. I dropped my dress and caught my breath. It only took a second. I noticed that Gwenael'S face was somber. I raised an eyebrow before turning to the city.

I gasped.

The city was in ruins.

Felicity Playlist.

Nuclear Rage

GP

Name
    Felicity Rhyolite
    Race

View Profile
    The walls, which stood so formidable... were crumbled.

The tall towers and busy streets were ruins.

There was what appeared to be a massive crater where buildings once were.

It looked so... ghostly.

I fell to my knees. Shock and grief overtook me as I dazed the once grand city. What on earth had happened here? How long was she...

... Gwenael ...

... Gwenael!

He had taken me to a place where time worked differently. He had taken me to his part of the realm of the Thaynes. This was his fault! I knew it! My sorrow steadily rose into anger. Eyes wide, I slowly turned my head to him. I was too shocked to shout, but man could I whisper curses well! Staring at him with a red face, I spoke in a soft, but not calm, tone.

"Gwenael. How long were we gone?"

His amber eyes look locked mine. They definitely had a certain light behind them. No wonder he had seemed so worried before! The nerve of him to bring me back just to show me this! As he visibly gulped, I felt satisfaction in the fact I could scare a Thayne.

He blinked rapidly, body still as ice as he fixed his eyes on the city. "Months."

I gapped. Blinking in sheer shock, I surprised myself by standing on my feet. "Months?"

I stomped forth. Dead grasses crunched beneath me as I shoved my face up to his in challenge. "Months!"

My vision grew blurry as the images of the desimated city flashed before my eyes. "That tells me nothing!"

So upset was I, I raised my fist and swung it through empty air. Oh, how I would if loved to feel it smash something material. The boy in front of me could suffice if it were not for his Thayneship.

Teeth gritted, I stood even closer. "Tell me..." I growled. "How long-"

We were interrupted from our quarrel by distant shouting. I paused. Gwenael looked towards the direction of the sound.

Then, I heard the unfamiliar voice.

"Aye! Travelers!"

Felicity Playlist.

Nuclear Rage

GP

Name
    Felicity Rhyolite
    Race

View Profile
    I turned around. At the overgrown road at the bottom of the hill, a caravan was halted. Wagons pulled by horses; full of various materials and equipment. Yet, one of the wheels to one of the front wagons was broken. Two men were trying to fix it.

One or two independent people were aside the wagons on unhitched horses, walking back and forth as to keep track of the supplies. Some included individuals in unfamiliar armor, all worn in union.

The person who called, however, was one of the merchants. A brown haired elf, he rode one of the front wagons in the parade of traders.

He motioned them to join the group. "Come 'ere!"

I glanced at Gwenael, who seemed quite interested in the party. He started down the hill towards them without me! I growled when he took the lead, but picked up my pack and followed him down.

After half walking half tumbling down the hill, we approached the merchant. He was wearing brown, simplistic clothes, save a crescent moon necklace made of bronze. He eyed us with friendly yet cautious eyes, studying us. "'Ya from around here, strange'as?

Next to me, Gwenael shook his head. "We hail from distant places few people here know of."

The man nodded, "Keribas dwellers, got it."

The merchant looked back towards the city, towards us, then pointed back the way he came. "You ain't planning on goin' there, aren't 'ya?"

Yes! I thought.

"No." said Gwenael.

The turned and glared at him.

"Good thing, young ones. That city is in anarchy! Better stay away from there, 'ya hear?"

I turned to face the the Elf again. So the fall of Radansanth was recent enough to remain in anarchy? ... Just how long could a city stay in anarchy until government took hold again? Months, as Gwenael described?

I scowled, frustrated and confused.

I felt weight on my shoulder.

"Where are you boys headed?" Gwenael was leaning on my shoulder. He was leaning on my shoulder! And he seemed so relaxed about it too! Legs crossed, he casually motioned towards the caravan with a smile on his face.

"The gate." The merchant responded.

Felicity Playlist.

Nuclear Rage

GP

Name
    Felicity Rhyolite
    Race

View Profile
    "Gate?" I tilted my head. My eyes drifted towards the destroyed city gate then back to him. I pointed to that direction. "You just told us not to go there."

The elf scoffed. Several more merchants behind him chuckled. I felt my face grow hot in embarrassment. I loathed being laughed at...

"'Ye must 'be from far east not to have heard by now!" the elf rolled his eyes, but still smiled. He motioned towards his wagon, patting some piled up clothes. "Come along, friends! I can explain 'ta 'ya along the way!"

Gwenael stood up and immediately climbed up without a second thought. If it were not for the fact that he was an oh so powerful Thayne, I would have questioned him trusting this group so easily. I had the sneaking suspicion that he saw all of this coming. He dropped us off right here, just in time for this caravan to show up.

I sighed. I wished so badly to express my frustrations. It would be rude to these folks, however. Holding my temper, I nodded to the elf and tried to sound genuine.

"Much appreciated, sir."

"It's Vanytar." The elf said as I tossed my bag up to Gwenael, who neatly caught it. I was about to climb in when...

"Wait." I froze.

The sound of hooves clattering drew close to me. I saw one of the uniformed men atop a chestnut colored stallion. "We have to check your equipment. Safety precautions."

My annoyance boiled as I stepped back. The man pulled the bag out and felt free to rummage through my belongings. I kept glaring at Gwenael the whole time. Oh, did I long to punch him.

The sound of an extra heavy clattering, like glass sounded.

"Hey!" I shouted, hands on my hips. "Don't break anything!"

The man pulled out my sword and dirk, clothed in their sheaths. "We will have to compenscate your weapons on the road."

Now, I just rolled my eyes. "Great."

The man rummaged some more, then pulled out my bows. Afterwards, a metal blue bird. "What does this do?"

I lowered my head, yearning to scream.

Gwenael answered for me. "It's Alerar technology. Best compenscate that too."

Thanks a bunch, Gwenael.

Soon enough, the man lept down with all of my defenses.

"Those are mine!" I finally protested.

The man nodded and repeated procedure. "You will receive these back once you reach the city limits and go through processing."

As he turned and walked away, I cupped one of my hands and shouted. "You break it, you buy it!"

"Calm down, Felicity." I whipped around the see Gwenael sitting in a meditative stance in the cart. "They are offering to transport us to a safe location."

I ignored the fact that he just told me to calm down. I climbed up and checked to see that none of my money or underclothes were stolen. I glared at him with deep rooted anger. "You have better got a good explanation for this, young man."

The white haired boy scoffed, "She tells the Thayne."

I swatted his arm.

Felicity Playlist.

Nuclear Rage

GP

Name
    Felicity Rhyolite
    Race

View Profile
    After I had settled into my makeshift seat, someone called from the back. "All fixed!"

Men started shouting their ready's to each other. As one of the guards started checking all the equipment one more time, I continued to check over my supplies.

Gwenael spoke, "He did not steal anyth-"

"-I don't want to talk to you right now."

Gwenael shut his trap and kept it shut.

I pulled out my mirror. It had a wooden frame, but the fanciful design and reflective piece itself was made of ice. It was still chilled...

Memories of where I got this knocked at the door of my head. I had received it from one of my first opponents in the Citadel, turned friend. I looked back at the ruins of the city that housed the monumental building.

Why did this happen?

I steadily realised that the mirror was not the only causing the goosebumps on my skin. I slid the mirror into my bag again and looked up. The clouds in the sky were insanely thick for something caused by mere weather. Indeed, the temperature had dropped drastically since her last time here.

Once again, questions swarmed my mind. These questions needed answering. I was still not happy with Gwenael, who seemed completely unaffected by the temperature. I decided to ask the elf who invited us to come instead.

I was jolted by sudden movement. I grasped the cloth I was sitting on as the wagon jostled. The caravan had begun to move again. The hooves of horses clattered against the overgrown road as the party moved at last. I reached back and pulled my hair tie out. My hair began to fly in the wind caused by the combined wagon speed and wind. I felt too cold. This was not like Corone, was it? It felt cold like winter.

I pulled my cloak out of my bag and pulled it over myself. Clasping it around my neck, I pulled the grey hood up. I looked over to Vanytar. Finally, I leaned forward and shouted.

"What's this 'gate' we're going to? Why is it so cold?"

Felicity Playlist.

Nuclear Rage

GP

Name
    Felicity Rhyolite
    Race

View Profile
    The elf looked back to us and smiled. As Gwenael sat criss-cross applesauce in his tunic, I sat straight up in interest. Obviously, Gwenael knew. He probably knew more than Vanytar. I still did not want to hear his voice.

Vanytar sighed, his face turning much more somber. "It started when Lornius' volcano erupted."

He shuddered, recalling memories which seemed to chill him more than the biting air. "You could hear it from here, the explosion. Then..." His eyes narrowed, "Hours later we received reports of ash clouds which buried smaller islands, slaughtered sailers unlucky enough to be at sea that day. My older sister was one of them."

The wagon a hefty bump. The entire wagon jolted, interrupting his story. I looked up to the sky as I clung to the wagon's railings.

The landscape was changing to move downhill. I saw the bridge between Radansanth and the rest of Corone up ahead. Even the familiar bridge seemed changed by the climate. Vanytar started to speak once the wagon was moreso quiet again.

"Scara Brae somehow survived without too much damage, but worse was to come for us. Because that was when the Brotherhood broke down Radansanth's defenses. An invasion."

The elf scowled, "I suppose that invasion, as costly as it was, saved us. Because apparently the Thaynes or Ethereal Sway or whatever thought a volcano wasn't enough!"

I felt Gwenael stiffen beside me. Not only was he a Thayne himself, but he knew the Thayne had nothing to do with natural disasters like these. Still, I was glued to Vanytar's tale.

"A meteor streaked across from the heavens. A fighter from the Brotherhood saved the city, apparently, according to rumors. But I doubt that really happened. I mean, war stories are commonly exaggerated. Either way, it barely missed our once glorious capital."

I looked ahead as the caravan started to cross the bridge. A small comfort could be found in its faint familiarity. It was sturdy, made of stone. Yet as I watched the murky waters below, I realized with a jolt that no fish swam in it.

I looked up again, drawing a connection. The grey clouds above were permanent. They were caused by the ashes spewed from Lornius' volcano.

And even now the sky dimmed darker.

Felicity Playlist.

Nuclear Rage

GP

Name
    Felicity Rhyolite
    Race

View Profile
    "Now, Radansanth is in pieces. Corone is devasted."

I pulled myself back over into the center of the wagon again. A gust of wind blew all of a sudden. It made me cough. I looked around to see that the people journeying without masks or headgear were coughing as well.

"Blasted ash!" One man cried from the back of the caravan.

After recovering from the coughing bout, I realized I felt even colder still. Shivering, I wrapped my cloak over my body as the elf turned to look at the road again.

The road was slow, cold, and dreary. As we traveled onwards, I took notice of a group of deer in the distance, at the edge of a dying cluster of trees. One of the soldiers pointed at them and drew Vanytar's attention to them. "That's a rare deer found in Concordia. What are they doing out here?"

"Changes in migration patterns, perhaps."

The soldier and I both turned to see Gwenael meditating beside me. Without opening his eyes, he continued to speak. "Animals are as harshly hit as you are, it seems. So. Changes in behavior."

"Huh!" the soldier cried as if it made perfect sense. I turned to Gwenael and watched his calm disposition. The Thayne of time likely knew this was the case. He probably saw it. Still hiding his identity as a strange human from the east, however, he remained in appearance of simplistic theory.

I leaned towards him. Of course, I knew the truth. I finally decided to speak to him again.

"How does this all end?" I whispered.

"I thought you didn't want to hear me." Gwenael retorted.

"Whatever," I swatted it aside, "How does this end?"

"No human extinction or anything. Most likely." He said quietly enough for no one to hear.

"Likely?" I rolled my eyes, "That's helpful..."

"Felicity," Gwenael sighed, "I know you're upset."

"Upset?"I leaned back again, feeling myself churn hotter. My chest beated faster as I tried to contain how angry I was." Upset! Upset does not begin to describe it!

If others started looking at us, I did not care. My voice raised higher and higher, the floodgates flowing in a way I felt was useless to control.

"Last time I was here, Corone was perfect! But you whisked me away with good hearing words and now look!"

Gwenael opened a single eye, watching me with a raised eyebrow.

"How could you?!"

Felicity Playlist.

Nuclear Rage

GP

Name
    Felicity Rhyolite
    Race

View Profile
    Gwenael opened his eyes and looked straight ahead. His face was clouded in some kind of pained memory. He finally looked down, sighing as he fiddled with his fingers.

"I made a vow." He started. "You know it, I've already told you. To look after you and guide your path."

Yes, I remembered. But as the caravan traveled the bumpy road, I felt conflicted. "Yes." I nodded slowly, "But when you told me that; and when you told me you could train me far away."

I shook my head, "I thought you didn't mean keep me from the world's problems."

Gwenael looked at me with a calm yet pleading face. "You were unhealthy." He swiftly pulled his fist to his mouth and coughed, "You still are."

He raced forward in the conversation so I would not be able to respond to that. Wise decision.

"You needed to step away from it." Gwenael's eyes narrowed, "And with the End just around the corner..."

"So..." I looked away, slouched. I was still upset, yet some of the initial shock was dimly dying down. Plus, even if I didn't like it, I could see where his logic lied.

Unfortunately for him, him logic was wrong. So much for being a Thayne!

"So," I swallowed, "You decided to shelter me like a little kid in need of protection."

"Felicity," Gwenael attempted to but in, "It was not like-"

Now it was my turn to prevent him from retaliating. "You wanted to keep a new friend safe, seeing as you had few."

A small smile crept across my lips. Frustration could not stop the warmth of our friendship from getting to me. I looked at him with a cheeky grin. "You care about me, don't you?"

Gwenael looked away again. He blinked with a small smile spreading across his face. "Yes."

I let out a massive sigh. I did not like this situation. I did not enjoy the thought of being gone while the world was devastated like this. Yet, I was thankful to Gwenael still for noticing me and taking me in. He was a Thayne after all! I was honored for his ability to see me. Maybe, just maybe, I could cut him some undeserved slack...

"Hey," I nudged him with my hand. He looked up as I smiled. "I would prefer more better timed months of training, but..."

I chuckled just a little bit, "I have appreciated all you have done for me."

Felicity Playlist.