EXP: 12,335, Level: 4
    Level completed: 67%, EXP required for next Level: 1,665
    Level completed: 67%,
    EXP required for next Level: 1,665

GP

Name
    Alyssa Snow

Adult Themed Writing

What are your thoughts on it and would you write it?

Legend

EXP: 127,650, Level: 15
    Level completed: 55%, EXP required for next Level: 7,350
    Level completed: 55%,
    EXP required for next Level: 7,350

GP

Name
    Philomel van der Aart (+ Veridian)
    Race
    Faun (+ Fox/Earth Spirit)

View Profile
    I have written a lot of it. Whenever I post it, if I post it, here, then I mark it as Mature, and usually leave a note in the first post.

I also though write a lot of other fantasy and epic writing. I think both have their values.

My main novels, and my main writing here, include very limited mature content. However, over the past year my writing has matured and I have expanded into more things that I never would have (e.g. romance) and it has helped being able to do mature scenes.
    *admin at your service*

Matriarch of the Gilded Lily and of its brothels, associated establishments and the army.

Characters:
    The family triplet: Philomel, Vaeron and Celandine.
    The god and kenku triplet: Stare, Avin and Vixen.
    The Primordials: Professor Charles and Moros.

Viator Mundi

EXP: 155,108, Level: 17
    Level completed: 18%, EXP required for next Level: 14,892
    Level completed: 18%,
    EXP required for next Level: 14,892

GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Telgradian

View Profile
    I have absolutely no qualms with adult themes, or exploring / participating in adult themes, at all. Specifically, in our chosen genre, I think it does help both the realism and also the ‘pull’ of our world to explore such themes in certain situations. We play characters in a world where power, lust and love are front and centre. Brothels are both places of sexual natures and also an important part of the Althanian culture. One of the bigger clans / organizations on Althanas is the Gilded Lily, whose entire premise is based on a network of brothels run by Philomel. A large part of Lye’s own story (later on) played on and used themes such as subjugation in a way which made him feel real and gave him a powerful presence. Storm Veritas and Joshua Cronen are constantly fucking anything that moves, but in totally different ways, and Aure…well…is Aure.

Specifically talking about Althanas, there are probably far more adult themes being used in Althanian lore today than we really give credit for, but the real skill is the subtlety and craftmanship in how they are used. I'm not just talking about sex, but also other types of mature content; themes on mental health, death and romance. There are very few “aimless” mature threads these days, and when a mature thread is being written it is usually to further a plot, enhance a character or promote a certain realism. I like this.

Adventurer

EXP: 2,021, Level: 2
    Level completed: 1%, EXP required for next Level: 2,979
    Level completed: 1%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,979

GP

Name
    Koreena Lynn Cronen
    I think we all know my take on writing it. Haha, all jokes aside though it’s one of my strong suits and I love writing it because I am a passionate person and I can easily express my feelings this way.

upon the cheek of night

EXP: 224,444, Level: 20
    Level completed: 0%, EXP required for next Level: 0
    Level completed: 0%,
    EXP required for next Level: 0

GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod
    Writing erotica was one of my top 3 sources of income last year... so I guess I dabble?
    "The breeze did not stir. The stars did not twinkle. The trees did not sway and the brook did not babble.
    For the world did not turn when Am'aleh wept, and a tear had tumbled down her cheek."

Newcomer

GP

Name
    Erik Von Dragon
    Race
    Demihuman
    I see the appeal. In my opinion I feel there are generally better things to write about in terms of a genre. However I can see the use of its elements In other forms of storytelling.
    Life is a soup, and I am a fork.

Newcomer

EXP: 26,273, Level: 6
    Level completed: 90%, EXP required for next Level: 727
    Level completed: 90%,
    EXP required for next Level: 727

GP

Name
    Aurelianus Drak'shal
    Race
    Tiefling
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinsou Vaan Osiris View Post
    and Aure…well…is Aure.
    Oh stop, you're going to make me blush, cutter.

But nah, in regards to the topic, where would I be without it?

As has been previously stated, the trick with using adult themes is in the subtlety. Takes everyone a while to learn the proper balance for them, but over time everyone finds how best to incorporate it into a fleshed-out, relatable and human (or whatever race they happen to be) character.

Granted, sometimes a lack of the aforementioned subtlety can be a powerful writing tool as well if used properly and appropriately for the character and setting. (see Lye and Amari's 'Seven Days').

All in all, mature themes are a learning curve. And we all know how Aurelius appreciates curves.
    "My talent's for lying. For sticking the knife in when people least expect it. Then walking away with a smile and a wave before they even realize they're bleeding."
    - John Constantine

"Self-control is for those who can't control others."
    - Gavin Guile

"There are two secrets to becoming great. One is never to reveal all that you know."
    - Anon.